Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #1  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Default Anti-Depressents

I was prescribed a generic Prozac for my depression but I have decided not to start it because of the side effects. The other reason is because my parents each have hypo and hyper thyroidism and I decided it would be a good idea to be tested. If the results are positive.. an anti-depressant wouldn't be the answer. My problem is I am starting all over and I keep dwelling on the past, how good I looked and how I threw it all away.

With that I have been really withdrawn... I don't want or really enjoy my friends company as much and I just feel like a huge failure. I am full time student and I am slowly dropping my 3.5 gpa down with my inability to drag myself to class... I have skipped so much.. I have just wanted to quit everything... But I have an amazing boyfriend (hopefully fiance.. someday... ) and he keeps pulling me out of bed and pushing me to try to get through this.. I am so incredibly thankful for this.. My biggest fear is that, without treatment I will continue to suffer from this monster.. I have been in an out a few times in my life and I feel like its a vicious cycle. Any thoughts?
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #2  

If it were me I would start the antidepressant. Not all of your symptoms are thyroid related.(< my opinion) Sounds like you have a wonderful boyfriend! Look at the positives in your life. November is Thanksgiving month. My students are keeping a daily gratitude journal and it MAKES a difference. A college gpa of a 3.5?!! Impressive!!! A great boyfriends, a blessing! The past? isnt going to change, the present and the future are all that you can change! Give yourself better, you deserve it!!!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #3  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I have been on the generic Prozac (Fluoxetine) for MANY, MANY years and it has helped me tremoundously! If I were you I would take it. It can take weeks to be effective but just imagine how wonderful it will be when you can spring out of bed and be excited to start your day and get back your 3.5GPA!! When I was depressed I couldn't get out of bed, never showered and cried all the time, it was **** on earth! Good luck!!! ***hugs***

-Megan
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #4  
Warrior Princess

Hey, you're young, in college, lots of stress...3.5GPA is amazing, I'd be very proud of myself. I never had the book brains (or motivation) to get anywhere near that but keep at it. Weight can be lost and you will lose it. You have a great BF, friends and your parents. Treasure these days they will go very fast. I would definitely get tested for hypo thyroid as well since both parents have it but take your medication and just be the best version of yourself you can be. You're doing great!
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/179/130

Height: 5' 3"

I've been on the generic Prozac for years, too. It took me years to agree to take something. Finally, after I did, my daily life changed.

Hugs and prayers sent. Keep us posted on your progress!!
carolannincolumbusga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/190/145

Height: 5 10

I was recently prescribed anti depressants... And I started taking them right away like the doc said. But they didn't help... So I went back and told him. And he gave me different ones. They worked like crazy. I got out of my rut. Got busy. And started losing weight as a result. He's a doctor... So he knows a little bit. I don't think you should wait. Good luck girlie.
bigmamawester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #7  
FatBurningQueen

S/C/G: 230/224/160

Height: 5'11

I think anti-depressants can work wonders for some people.

But I think it's always a good idea to exhaust all natural options before you go down the drug route.

Look at breating and meditation techniques, speak to as many people as possible, confide in those close to you and work on making small changes in your life to get momentum.

Sometimes none of the above will be enough, but I think sometimes people are too hasty to go the drug route when they could have just as easily alleviated their problem with some simple natural actions!

Good luck, I'm sure you will do what's right by you!
GeraldineHearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #8  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone! Update: haven't started the medication and fluoextine is what I was prescribed, I have lost 6lbs since my visit but i'm still struggling a little. The weight loss gives me home though
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #9  
Fat Fox

S/C/G: 187/181.5/136

Height: 5'5

I have taken prozac in the past and it was fantastic. It really helped me turn things around and make some positive decisions, learn some healthy coping strategies. The side effects were horrible for the first two weeks, I won't lie to you, I was sick, dizzy had a terrible headache but they slowly went away and I have never had any problems with it after that.

If you are really against them though, maybe you could try some exercise out in the fresh air. It does help me feel better about myself and in less of a fug. It could help.

If it was me, though, I would give the meds a try. You can always stop them if you don't like the effects after a few weeks. You may start them and find they are just fine.
Foxevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

As someone with thyroid disease, I can definitely say that thyroid disease can affect your mood, your anxiety levels, and of course your energy levels. I do think getting your thyroid tested sounds prudent. You can also potentially improve your mood and lift mild depression through exercise, and it doesn't have to be vigorous. They've shown that just going outside for a walk for a half hour a day is very beneficial. And don't forget to take your vitamin D! Most Americans are D deficient, and a deficiency in D has been linked to depression. If you're looking for other ways to naturally treat a low mood, consider Dr. Weil's new book- "Spontaneous Happiness". Dr. Weil also suffered from depression and his book is about lifestyle changes, diet, supplements and exercise that can help.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote