Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #1  

Default Gyros???

I have read that a couple ppl are eating gyros as protein. IS this OP for phase 1? I LOVE gyros but haven't eaten any since beginning the program. I know its meat and all but didn't think ti was ok since so much fat is added.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on IP (so some of my advice will have to be double checked against your plan), but I do know that gyro meat isn't always pure meat, and the fat content varies considerably not only from brand-to-brand but also from restaurant-to-restaurant and depending upon the cooking method .

Some gyro meat is made from leaner cuts than others. Also many brands have added fats and fillers (even carb fillers), so you have to read the grocery store labels (and check the restaurant nutrition-count websites) carefully.

Some times the gyro meat is actually relatively lean, and the "pit" style cooking removes a lot more fat (generally) than grilling or pan frying. Though some places pit roast the meat and THEN throw it on the grill to get crisp edges. As long as fat isn't added to the grill, this can actually be the best way to get more fat out. If you're buying a gyro loaf from the grocery store, you can actually simmer the whole loaf in water (just enough to cover the meat) for a bit to remove some of the fat. Then cool it, slice it and dry fry in a nonstick skillet to remove even more fat.

Some gyro meat (in restaurants and in grocery stores) is made from less fatty cuts of beef and lamb than others, so the meat can actually be rather on the lean side. You have to know what you're eating to know for sure.

With restaurant gyro meat, you don't always have the option of looking up the ingredient and fat content. If you don't mind doing your own cooking, flavoring the meat of your choice with gyro flavors actually works a lot better, because it gives you the gyro flavor while removing the "unknown" element.

You can choose the leanest cuts of beef, lamb, or goat (or a combination) and can grind them to make a gyro loaf (Alton Brown's recipe and video can be found online) or you can use chunks or thin slices of meat and flavor them with garlic, oregano, lemon, and mint (or one of several greek seasoning mixes you can buy in the grocery store).

Toss the meat in the seasonings, let sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, then grill, broil or pan-fry in a non-stick pan with or without sliced onions. Serve with thin slices of tomato, sweet onion, cucumber, and (depending on what fits into your food plan) light or regular creme freche, sour cream or yogurt (greek or regular). Non-dieters can also use pita, flour tortillas, naan or other flatbread wraps if they desire.

I usually make a large salad with a low-fat greek dressing and a bit of feta to put my gyro-meat over. I prefer using a bit of sour cream or yogurt and slices of cucumber to prepared tzatziki because it's easier and I don't end up with a bowl of the condiment and nothing to use it with (and I don't have to wonder whether the cucumber has started to go bad).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #3  

THX Kaplods! we have several restaurants by us and I can see the meat on the pit roasting and they just carve it from there to serve! Thx for the tip on alton Brown I will look it
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/236/165

Height: 5'5"

I am so happy to hear that recipe!
DakotaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #5  
mei

S/C/G: 293/289/185

Height: 5'7"

Alton's recipe sounds do-able...now to see if the tzatziki can be made phase 1 friendly & still palatable

Last edited by mei; 11-07-2012 at 11:19 AM.
mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/236/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mei View Post
Alton's recipe sounds do-able...now to see if the tzatziki can be made phase 1 friendly & still palatable
Mei- I wonder if you cooked, pureed, and chilled cauliflower. Then take the cuisinart and add cucumbers, dill, garlic, and lemon juice...if that may work. If it needed more cream, maybe add some WF Blue Cheese Dressing (horrid on its own, but a good mixer).
DakotaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #7  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Like Kaplods, I am not on IP. But I am on an high protein, low carb diet. I dont' make a habit out of it, but once in a while I go to a greek restaurant and order a takeout order of gyro meat and the sauce. Its very greasy, so I blot the meat with some paper towel to absorb the excess fat. I'd say I've done this about 4 times in three months of weight loss and have not noticed any adverse effects.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote