South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Default Weekend Beach Chat Nov 3-4

Good morning sleepy heads!!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #2  

Little weird to not see anyone going in here yet this AM....y'all are either really busy, or really sleepy!

We invited a couple of friends over tonight, and I mentioned to a friend that "let me know if there's anyone else she'd like to invite"...and she's invited 5 other families!! OOPS. Didn't mean for it to turn into a hoopla...guess I have a lot to do.

It's a soup night, so I'm making a double batch of chili, and I have a recipe for flourless cornbread (still corn, but no white flour). I'm trying to figure out a low carb dessert I could make for my hubbie, any suggestions?

I wasn't sure what to make for breakfast, so I took my leftover quinoa, added blueberries and milk with some cinnamon...Mmmm...
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning! I actually slept until 8:15 this dark and gloomy morning. Unfortunately I had to deal with two puddles in the back room before I got my coffee. I guess I didn't get the signal from the darlings - my house is very soundproofed.

We were supposed to have a garlic-planting festival in the back field to "git 'er done" but it's just too darned cold at 37ºF of 3ºC and rain is predicted. There was actually some snow just north of us and more to come. I just sent out an email to the DWARPS and sure hope they read it before coming over. They'll be disappointed but not as much as the folks in NYC ready to run the marathon. (I'm amazed they didn't cancel it earlier!)

Twynn, she invited FIVE other families? Sure hope she's bringing some of the food. Your breakfast sounds great. I must cook up some quinoa and try that. For now almond milk, strawberries and flax meal will have to do.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring but I'm hoping it's a day to cozy in, keep the stove going and cuddle dogs while I read my backlog of New Yorkers.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I was here and about to post when I got a work call, just got off that. hope it's the last one this weekend. I am working tomorrow but that's all GOTV (get out the vote) and it's straight through Tuesday night. Wed. I leave for 4 days at the coast. Sunday we jump on the healthy eating and daily exercise plan around here.

Today is just an at home chore and errand kind of day. I'm making yellow split pea soup with sweet potatoes and kale tonight and cleaning out the fridge for sides. So far I've found brussel sprouts, more kale, chard, peppers, and butternut squash all waiting to be used. Yum

The sun is out, wonder if it's warmed up at all. Happy Weekend Chicks!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

Great recipe, Cyndi. I may try it if I can ever find kale in this area. So silly because it's easy to grow but some of the older folks call it "poor folks food" and won't eat it.

The garlic planters didn't get the email and are out in the back field planting garlic, despite to cold. At least it's not raining! Some have already been in for potty and some coffee. You can't keep a good DWARP down! We should have a good crop of the wonderful stuff next year. So nice when people work together on big jobs. Maybe they'd like to raise a barn for me?

Sure hoping the sun makes it through the clouds to warm us up for the rest of the weekend.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, everyone. I'm late to the party today, but I have a very good reason - today's my mother's birthday and I'm spending most of the day with her and trying to make it as special as possible for her.

I just came home to get a little breather and relax with a cup of tea for an hour or so, then I'm going back to make a nice spaghetti dinner for her, since that's what she wants.

Tammy, I think your friend should have checked with you before she took the liberty of inviting 5 MORE FAMILIES, to your home! Like Ruth said, I hope she's contributing to the food, and I hope it's a fun gathering!

Cyndi, I'll have to try that soup recipe, it sounds good! It won't be long now until you can finally leave for vacation, and I hope where you're going on the coast hasn't been too affected by the storm!

Ruth, I'm glad you aren't out there in the damp and cold planting garlic! It sounds like you're doing your part with keeping them supplied with hot coffee, anyway. I wonder if the border guards will let me take some Delta grown garlic bulbs home with me next summer?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I had work today....just got home! I told a coworker I'd come in at 10 tomorrow and close for her so she can watch football. Sounds like I'm really nice, but one of these days I'm going to call in all the favors. Guess I'll go join Kirk and Bing on the couch.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Good evening, ladies...just popping in to say hello.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Late check in for me. John and I worked harder today than we do at work. We were "assigned" to Island Park to help a fellow brother try and start to getting his home back in order. Technically we were working, but the Chief was very understanding. It was absolutely devastating to see the true aftermath if what Sandy left behind. By the end of the day we (John and I) plus two of Ray's cousins, Ray's two sons and two of their friends gutted the first floor to the studs. We removed flooring, furniture, the contents of the garage, the china hutch was over two hours to pack up. I am sore as heck, but do not care one bit. The area effected is too incredibly vast. His wife was really having a tough time keeping it together. I am glad she took my suggestion to leave and go spend time with her daughters. They have 4 kids and they are all staying with either family or friends. Ray and Terry are braving it out. Terry should feel better tonight because John ROCKS and so does their former neighbor from Florida. The neighbor drove up with 7 generators he gave to his old neighbors to help them (ok I cried). John, the cop of all trades, wired it in to their electric panel so they have lights and hot water. Tomorrow they will have clean laundry too. I brought it home with me. Another sergeant is going to bring it back tomorrow.

I was so incredibly happy to walk in the door tonight. The house will need to dry out before anything else can really be done. At least we hopefully stopped mold from growing. I am sure we will be back to do more. Even one of our Chiefs stopped by with water, cleaning supplies and Rubbermaid totes. Found out later she and another Chief dipped in to their own pockets and were going to each member's home with much needed supplies.

Humanity and kindness still exist. Sometimes you don't see it everyday, but it is there.

OK time for the next load. Thankful for the extra hour of sleep tonight.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Jekel, so pleased to read your post first thing this morning. We are just now learning the extent of the devastation down there. So nice when good people rise up to help others.

The time changed, as usual. I am always amazed when my computer corrects itself! I wish the dogs would do the same. They were awake at 5, their old 6! They should have been tired because a friend visited with her holy terror of a Jack Russell who really pooped them out. Milo is 5 months and I fear has never heard a word of discipline. Disney finally decked him!

This morning, after Church, we do pet therapy at the nursing home. Sunday is traditional visiting day but lots of residents have no visitors so it's a good day for us to do it. We have to go back there on Wednesday for their Tea and Bazaar which I do for PR purposes and hand out TPOC pamphlets. This afternoon is all mine! I may work in a nap. On the other hand, I may just do some prep for what may be a rough week with appointments, social stuff and an electrician coming to install my generator at long last!

Happy Sunday and I hope you and yours get adjusted to the time change quickly. Sleeping in this morning would be a good start.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #11  

Wow, Jekel, thanks for that heartwarming story. Prayers for your friends and neighbors. Don't forget the ibuprofen today!

Ruth - that's so sweet of you to visit them, I'm sure it means a lot. And....so many jacks are CA-RAZY, glad miss Disney taught him a little lesson.

We had 3 other families come in (only one child) which was a nice number. I still need to pull her aside and ask me if she invites others. If you remember, I opened my house at CHristmas last year....one month after joining the church...and we had 24 people!! I really enjoyed that, that made Christmas special, as a holiday should be.

Today - pot luck at church (what to make?!!?), and who-knows-what. At least my house is clean! A friend said that Wreck 'em Ralph is a good movie, so I'm thinking of taking the kids to that.

Yesterday was the worst I've eaten in a few weeks, so I'm jumpin' back on that wagon today....
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Jennifer, what an incredibly beautiful post to read about your day yesterday! It is so heartwarming and encouraging to know there are a lot of people like you and your friends who are pitching in to help and assist those in need.

Ruth, it sounds like you have a nice day planned, and I'm so glad you are going to get your generator hooked up this week!

I woke up at my usual time, but it was so nice to be able to roll over and take advantage of an extra hour in bed. The sun is up and it looks like it's going to be a clear and beautiful day. Jake and I are going over to NJ to spend the day with Monica and Carley, so it will be a fun afternoon. Monica always has a daddy-do list ready for Jake, so she's happy we're coming.

Have a nice Sunday and do something fun today!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: maintaining

Good morning.

I really need to try kale again. The one time I made kale chips I had such high hopes and was sadly disappointed. Maybe I'll like it better in a soup or salad.

I worked yesterday; we had a big sale and it was super busy, which I love. This afternoon I'm going to a play with my mom. This morning I'll treadmill. I don't like this direction of time change - it means I'm awake even earlier and struggle even more to keep my eyes open until a reasonable hour at night

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Of course I woke up at 4:40 and thought I was late. I'm sure my little vacation later this week will reset my clock. Today I'm off to NH to do the GOTV thing.

I'm frustrated with that recipe I made yesterday. This is the third time I've had yellow split peas not often enough even after twice the cooking time. It rarely happens with green split peas but yellow seem to give me trouble. Anyone else have this happen? ANy suggestions?

Karen - personally I think Kalyn's Mock Lasagna recipe is perfect for anyone learning to eat kale. it's become a household favorite around here.

The day calls, happy Sunday Beachy Chicks!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Off to work again...

Jennifer, I wish we were closer...we would pitch in, too.
Closed Thread