Weight Loss Support - embarrassing confession

View Full Version : embarrassing confession

juliastl27
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
i dont know WHAT happened.

i have been completely off plan for the past week. COMPLETELY. my boyfriend had family in town and there was tons of delicious food (including dinner at a 4 star restaurant) and i just lost my will power.

usually i am able to keep my spirits up but im just so down right now. i feel like giving up. im afraid to weigh myself because ive probably gained back 5 lbs.

what is wrong with me?!?!

why would i do that? ive been doing SO well and i just threw it away.

ugh. im feeling like quitting right about now.

JohnP
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Who cares about last week? It's good to take a break from dieting.

You didn't fail - you just took an unplanned break.

The time to get back on plan is NOW. Not tomorrow, not after one more meal. NOW.

You got this!

Arctic Mama
10-29-2012, 05:19 PM
That's life, it happens. If your response to (inevitable) moments of struggle is self disgust and quitting completely, you will NOT keep this weight off long term. That is the only real difference I have seen between yo-yo dieters and successful maintainers - one group throws in the towel and lets a slip up dictate their entire path of success, the other picks themselves up and gets back on track.

Which one will YOU be? Your choice right now, whether to give into your failure or get right back on plan, is what will determine your future. It is under YOUR control. Not perfection on plan, but a willingness to work hard even when things aren't perfect.

LaurieDawn
10-29-2012, 05:21 PM
John is absolutely right about all of it!

Hope you had a great time with the boyfriend's family!

What a lovely time 'now' is to get back on plan. And step one of being back on plan is posting here. Congratulations! Now on to step 2. :-)

Robin41
10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Even if you gained back 5, would you rather give up and go back to 205 or keep battling and get the 5 back off?

You had a bad week. Think about why, how you can do better the next time you're in similar circumstances, and keep moving. Or give up, and wave at 205 as you go by.

This is one of those moments where you get to make a choice. People who were obese are always going to battle moments like this and the successful ones are the ones who keep making the choice to keep going.

You can do this.

bargoo
10-29-2012, 05:35 PM
This has happened to many of us, put it behind you and get back on plan.

freelancemomma
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I agree with what everyone has said. It happens to ALL of us. It happened to me this past weekend: On Friday I had at least 3,000 calories at an all-you-can-eat Mongolian grill, then the next day had some unplanned wine, nuts and oil-soaked olives before going to the movies and ordering a large popcorn (and eating all of it). Yesterday I baked some chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for my son's party and ended up eating several hundred calories of the dough. Today I''m back on plan.

I think we all have to expect these moments (or days) of weakness and plan how to deal with them, just as we plan our individual meals.

F.

sontaikle
10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Why do you feel like giving up? You've still kept off 15ish pounds; that's awesome!

This isn't all or nothing. We all have bad days, weeks, or even months. The ability to pick yourself back up will keep you moving forward.

As Robin41 said, it's difficult for those of us who are/were obese. All of us struggle. Right NOW I'm struggling because of this stupid hurricane. No setback is worth the slide all the way back though, just hold your head high and keep moving forward :)

LockItUp
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM
You totally have this, forgive yourself and move on! No reason to quit! Things like this WILL happen! If you throw your hands up and walk away just because a little bump in the road happens, what will that accomplish!?

I understand the frustration that comes with gains! But it's definitely not worth throwing your hard work away. So what if it's 5 pounds!? You know it's not 5 pounds of fat! Chances are it'll take a week or so to get back to what you were at, and so what!? It's not like there's a deadline or time limit on this! 3 months from now this will seem like such a small thing and you will be so far along. If you give up what will happen?

healthyginger
10-29-2012, 06:46 PM
I recently did this guided meditation where you are at a fork in a path to the right you look ahead 1, yr, 2yr, 10yrs ect to what your life will be like if you stay on your new healthy lifestyle. Then you start down the left path downhill, you start your bad eating and life style habits - if you stay this course what do you see 2 yrs, 5 yrs, 10 yrs ect. I'm 61 now and when I did this I didn't see myself alive in 10 yrs. Really get into this guided meditation and feel what you would on each path and choose- which path do you want to be on? You can turn back and take the healthier path.

Mountain Mamma
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Julia, don't you dare quit!!! Us Turkeys & our thread wouldn't be the same without you!!!:thanks2::thanks2::thanks2:

1spunkygal
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
i dont know WHAT happened.

i have been completely off plan for the past week. COMPLETELY. my boyfriend had family in town and there was tons of delicious food (including dinner at a 4 star restaurant) and i just lost my will power.

usually i am able to keep my spirits up but im just so down right now. i feel like giving up. im afraid to weigh myself because ive probably gained back 5 lbs.

what is wrong with me?!?!

why would i do that? ive been doing SO well and i just threw it away.

ugh. im feeling like quitting right about now.

OH NOOOOOO YOU DON'T ! you are not the 1st one to do this & you won't be the last. You don't get off so easy pick yourself up dust yourself off & MOVE ON ! :hug:

(I hold you accountable for when I need the same pep talk....LOL ! )

kelleyb
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Whatever you do, don't get on the scale- it sounds like it would hurt you much more than help. You had a yummy and fun week last week. Now it is over... Move on! Get straigt back on plan and treat yourself to a good, hard workout today or tomorrow. ;)

samiruniversal
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes it happens to everyone! thats how i feel sometimes but we know we can do this!

stimkovs
10-29-2012, 07:56 PM
There is some phenomenal advice in this thread already.

But, here's how I see it (I guess this is the resident hippy perspective)

You had a good time. The food what good. WHATEVER. If you give up, and keep eating all the fat laden, 4**** foods, they simply won't taste as good, that's why it's okay to take a little time off and enjoy. Then you hop right back on to the bandwagon until the next time you get to eat something absolutely delightful. Why eat something mildly delightful just to eat it?

theox
10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
^What they said.

novangel
10-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I went to Famous Dave's on Saturday and blew through 2,000 cals in one meal! I totally wanted to quit...I was so frustrated. I'm not quitting though, and neither should you. :) Hang in there.

linJber
10-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I just have to say ditto to everything above. This stuff happens. You're all set to turn things back in your favor. Just do it right now.

Lin

Missy Krissy
10-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Get back on plan right now, and forgive yourself already! The longer you dwell the more tempting it will be to give up. You can do it; you know you can.

penmage
10-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Don't quit! The Valentine's Day challenge thread wouldn't be the same without you!

So you fell off the wagon. Whoops! We've all done it. I did it a few months ago, and I'll probably do it again at some point. You're human, you have moments of weakness and tasty food. It happens. Just dust yourself off and get back to doing what you know you should be doing.

You're a tough cookie (a low calorie, high vitamin, high fiber cookie...) and you can do this! :cheer2: :cheer2:

xRiotGirl
10-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Everyone who has posted is so right. This happens to every one of us, and the last 3 times it happened to ME, all I could think of 3 months down the road is how much progress I'd have made if I hadn't stopped. DON'T stop, you had the strength to start the first time, you have the strength to start again now.

juliastl27
10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
i cant explain to you how much better i feel after reading these responses.

i just struggled so hard to get below 190 and i cant believe i blew it and got back up there. REALLY frustrating/embarrassing.

i stayed on plan today and actually still have about 300 calories leftover.

thank you everyone!

i wont be abandoning valentines day either :)

i think im just not going to weigh in for 2 weeks and see how that goes because the thought of seeing 19 and the beginning of the number makes me too sad.

tons of excellent advice, i did have a fun week and enjoy myself. time to let go of the guilt and move on.

Moving Forward
10-30-2012, 01:21 AM
I agree with all the great advice you have gotten and am delighted to hear you are back on plan. It's also wonderful to see how many people care about you. Just remember that 20 years from now you will remember the great fun you had with your family. What you ate really won't matter. Back at it for you!

Heather
10-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Glad you're feeling better. Giving in after a week off plan would be like coming outside and finding one tire on your car slashed, and deciding to just slash all the others!

NEMom
10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
That's life, it happens. If your response to (inevitable) moments of struggle is self disgust and quitting completely, you will NOT keep this weight off long term. That is the only real difference I have seen between yo-yo dieters and successful maintainers - one group throws in the towel and lets a slip up dictate their entire path of success, the other picks themselves up and gets back on track.

Which one will YOU be? Your choice right now, whether to give into your failure or get right back on plan, is what will determine your future. It is under YOUR control. Not perfection on plan, but a willingness to work hard even when things aren't perfect.
Wow! What powerful advice. I have been struggling to maintain/lose a few more lbs for a year now and can't tell you how many times I wanted to/did give up. Reading this really hit home for me.

valalltogether
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
i'm right there with you. i took a nosedive this weekend between going to a party, being sent home with leftover food, then just being completely lazy and going hog wild eating it like the world was going to end because of this hurricane.

I gained 4 lbs. I want to cry. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but I have one month and 24 days until my vacation and its just like what are you doing??!?!. I'm off now to change my ticker, as much as it pains me...I gotta own up to it. *sigh* I am so ready to make huge changes are really go hard atleast until vacation

cdcn13
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
So much good advice here... I am so glad to have a place to go where I can find support. Every time you fall off, you must get back on. You never want to go back to what you were. I will never let myself get back in the 200s.

racrane
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
It's ok, don't beat yourself up about it. I gained back five lbs back in September because I was with my grandma for a week and she made delicious food... I don't regret it, but I did go back to my plan as soon as that week was done. The week is over, forget about it. Just look to the future. Lots of people are saying great things here!

KateB
10-31-2012, 05:34 PM
PERSISTENCE over perfection!

healthyangie
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
You seem to be WAY to hard on yourself. Guilt is like chains - it just keeps you stuck! There are enough people in this world willing to give us an undeserved guilt trip - don't give one to yourself!

It's done, it's over with. You obviously needed a break so now you had it. Hop back on there and I bet you will actually lose faster now!

Cheer up, you have this :D

mountain walker
11-01-2012, 07:27 AM
[/COLOR]"Giving in after a week off plan would be like coming outside and finding one tire on your car slashed, and deciding to just slash all the others!"

Heather this is one of the best quotes about backsliding I have ever seen....and it really spoke to me!!!

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-01-2012, 07:57 AM
So you took a few unexpected days off-plan. That is NO reason to give up! You haven't failed. The only defeat is if you believe you are a failure, and therefore stop trying. Don't trip on a few steps and then fling yourself down the stairs!! :hug:

DisappearingActs
11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Same thing happened with me. MIL came, cooked a bunch of fattening delicious food, I gained 4 pounds, I lost 4 pounds plus 1, because that's just what happens on this journey. You gain weight sometimes, but guess what? You lose it. Remember that this isn't a race, this is your life, you're going to have off days, and that's ok. When I have a period where I've gained weight, at first I get sad, but then I get excited because I know that once I get back on track, I can expect a woosh and new lows.

So don't be sad, look forward to that "woosh" and restored momentum a setback can give you.

LaurieDawn
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=DisappearingActs;4515597
When I have a period where I've gained weight, at first I get sad, but then I get excited because I know that once I get back on track, I can expect a woosh and new lows.

So don't be sad, look forward to that "woosh" and restored momentum a setback can give you.[/QUOTE]

Yep! I had an off week last week. Not horrible, but I gained some sodium weight. White-knuckled a couple of days, took a 12-day no-scale pledge, and am doing a strict two weeks. I really want a big whoosh to push me through the next 20 or 30 pounds!

KittyKatFan
11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm going through something similar, where I went completely off track for nearly three weeks. I was down to 185 in late September, then Binged nearly every day for two and a half weeks. I got brave last week and hopped on the scale to face the music and I was up to 191.4. I thought I had gained more than that, so I was happy...and celebrated by eating all weekend :(

So I'm probably up a total of seven or eight pounds. Which I hate. But this time is different because in the past I would have given up and declared myself a failure. But instead, I got back on plan and am back to exercising and eating better. I wish I hadn't derailed but I have realized that I won't be perfect. My weight may go up a bit, and I may have lazy weeks where I don't exercise as much as I normally do, but I know that this is a marathon not a sprint. Eventually, I will drop back to 185, then 175, then 164. I just have to be patient.

I also kept picturing myself going back to 331 lbs, and I felt so much fear. That fear also helped me get back on plan.

You can get past this. Do your best to forgive yourself and don't dwell on what has already happened because you can't change it.

Pink Hurricane
11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Who cares about last week? It's good to take a break from dieting.

You didn't fail - you just took an unplanned break.

The time to get back on plan is NOW. Not tomorrow, not after one more meal. NOW.

You got this!

:yes: Completely agree with John. That is my attitude when I have a set back from taking a break. You got this girl!