Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat October 29 - November 4

BillBlueEyes
10-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Last week I was concerned about a deluge of political campaign ads. Today all of northeastern North America is facing a deluge of rain and snow. And this morning's map shows that folks as far west as Chicago and Lake Michigan may feel the effects. Ugh!!

We're tucked down as tight as possible: rain gutters cleared out, lawn furniture in the basement, outside garbage cans secured. The house and cars remain susceptible to falling tree limbs - there's no magic place to park where there are no trees.

Here's hoping we all pass through this.

Mudpie
10-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Last week I was concerned about a deluge of political campaign ads. Today all of northeastern North America is facing a deluge of rain and snow. And this morning's map shows that folks as far west as Chicago and Lake Michigan may feel the effects. Ugh!!

We're tucked down as tight as possible: rain gutters cleared out, lawn furniture in the basement, outside garbage cans secured. The house and cars remain susceptible to falling tree limbs - there's no magic place to park where there are no trees.

Here's hoping we all pass through this.

Wow you're thorough Bill. DH sat inside watching TV yesterday as winds and rain swirled outside. I was working so had no chance to secure anything - I guess our stuff will blow away or not. I'm out in the rain and wind all week it looks like - and I have to pick up the rental car today. Lots of towels this week.

I did manage to spray my Gortex with additional waterproofing - hope it works!

Good luck and safe passage to all on the east coast affected by "Frankenstorm"!

Dagmar :tired:

WardHog
10-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Stay safe, east coasters!

I have been down with a stomach virus. :shudder:

bargoo
10-29-2012, 07:16 AM
saef, stay safe, you are as prepared as you can be. Praying that you will come through this with a minimum of damage.

saef
10-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Checking in from the motel, with a heartbeat so fast that I'm probably in the early stages of a panic attack.

I got an online newsletter from our co-op and now I have a piece of information I didn't have before: It's not just rainfall that can imperil our apartment complex. The surge from the ocean can drive so far inland that it, effectively, would result in flooding of the Sprain Brook.

Also I am actually starting to look at topographical maps for the area where my storage facility is located. It's inland from Co-Op City, so suddenly I am wondering if the storage facility would flood from a monstrous surge.

So I am feeling pretty sick right now, even though it's just windy, with just spots of rain.

I'll try to check in later. The motel has warned us that it has no generators, but we'll see how it weathers through the doubtless inevitable power outage.

paperclippy
10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Saef, :hug: hang in there. I wonder if it might be better for your mental health to stop watching the news at this point? It sounds like you've already taken all possible precautions, so all that's left is just to wait it out.

I had a friend visiting from NYC this past weekend. We went to the art museum, a corn maze, and a haunted house and had a great time! He did change his flight to go back earlier than planned on Sunday though because of the weather, so that he'd make it back home before they shut down the subway.

Stay safe, all who are in the path of severe weather!

bargoo
10-29-2012, 09:34 AM
saef, are you armed with flashlights and batteries? When , we in California had a 7.1 earthquake, there was much damage and that included grocery stores and pharmacies, some had to close. The pharmacy nearest me had much damage but they were open to 2 customers in the store at one time and you could have prescriptions filled and buy bottled water and batteries and flashslight, that was all. I have always remembered that and would try to have those things on hand and food that doesn't require cooking or refrigeration in other word lots of canned goods and a can opener plus paper plates.

Megan1982
10-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Morning all,

It's still very windy here from Sandy, and at work we're scrambling to try and reschedule field work, but NBD considering. I kept busy over the weekend with a long to-do list, cancelling my credit card # that somehow fell into the wrong hands, but again, NBD considering. (Also my bank is great, so the credit card really was NBD.) My parents (1 hr North of NYC, but not in a flood area) say they're as prepared as they can be for an extended power outage. I'm still waiting to hear back from my DS outside of DC but knowing her husband their generator is ready to go.

Saef, glad you checked in and hang in there. I'm sure it's tough being in a hotel room with nowhere to go, nothing to do. Since you work from your laptop, maybe it would be best to focus on work right now? I know, I know, easier said than done. You and your mother take care. Is Fritz with you? :hug: Hoping for the best outcome.

Dagmar, try to stay dry. Glad you've got all that Gortex.

It went from fall-like to coat weather here overnight on Saturday. Yesterday I made Allison's spinach and artichoke soup recipe she posted last week. Yummy! It got rave reviews from BF as well who really liked the cream cheese. It's perfect soup weather right now. Stay warm, dry, and safe everyone!

alinnell
10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Thinking good thoughts for all in the storms path.

We'll be on our way home in a couple hours. The jazz fest was great but I sure felt like a minority in more ways than one.

Shannon in ATL
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Popping in to check on Saef. I'll be out on the road a lot this week teaching my training class at our other four locations, but will try to fly by now and then.

traveling michele
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Praying for all those in the path of the storm.

Update from my electrical woes of last week. Dh (the super engineer!) managed to get everything up and running again. He mumbled some jargon about one of the circuits being out so that affected the whole side of the house basically. It was coincidence that our front light went out-- just a bulb. Since it went out while I was running the microwave and our microwave is an old monstrosity, I have ordered a new stainless steel one that should arrive tomorrow. Probably not related, but good excuse to replace it.

I'm, as always, baffled, surprised, annoyed, etc. by my weight swings. I was 122 Saturday. My class at the gym was cancelled and I ended up missing my planned yoga later-- ate on plan though-- went to a Halloween party at night with dh and danced, had zero alcohol or food there-- up to 124 Sunday. Yesterday I made it to Bikram Yoga, but went to a 50th Birthday celebration in the afternoon. Tried to be "normal" and not a party pooper-- I still had zero alcohol-- only myself and one other person abstained and I'm pretty sure he was a recovering alcoholic-- but I did eat a tamale, a small piece of lasagna, and a piece of ice cream cake. We had no dinner last night-- just a little hummus and veggies as the party ended at 4:30. My weight this morning is 127.8. Really!?! My joints ache. I assume it is mainly water retention but I sure feel bleh. Now I have to work my b**t off all week to get back to where I was if I'm lucky. Sigh....

saef
10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
My mother is the one who likes to have the TV news blaring in the background. I've told her it's useless, because the news stations are mostly centered in New Jersey now, and to get decent news of my area, we need the Cablevision-provided Channel 12, which isn't on the motel's TV menu. I've been following it online. But Jessica, thanks for your common-sense suggestion, which had already occurred to me, as the silence and media-free zone of the motel's crummy basement fitness room did help me. So I've persuaded my mother to put the TV on something banal as possible. Like last night, when "Hoarders" was on, and I thought that a flood might actually be **helpful** to some of those sad, afflicted people & their uncomprehending and overwhelmed families.

Megan, you're right, it might help me to get some routine office work done, even if it's deleting and filing emails from my ever-bursting inbox. No, Fritz isn't with us. We wouldn't dream of subjecting the small dude to the mayhem of dismantling my apartment. He's Upstate, being fed and watered by a neighbor, who often sits with the paper or the TV for an hour while letting Fritz in & out. Fritz goes outdoors a lot, which in the quiet neighborhood, has been okay so far. If I have to head back Upstate, that's one thing to look forward to: Reuniting with Fritz.

Mudpie
10-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Apparently accountants work in severe weather - LOL. I am going to see one tonight for about 15 minutes and it'll cost me about $50 bucks. I'm taking DH along as "interpreter" and I'm hoping he'll see that the 4-5 years spent getting his CMA doesn't all have to be thrown in the trash. If he could just get himself together he could make some real "big boy" money in accounting.

I am driving a Ford product this week. No key for entry or ignition. They have a lot of faith in that "fob" that's used for everything. And the doors automatically unlock when I approach with the "fob" - something the rude little guy at the car rental didn't bother to tell me. I spent the entire day carting around a bunch of stuff from my car (in the rain) because I was unable to lock the car doors (or so I thought).

I brought the car home and consulted DH before subjecting myself to the humiliation of going back to the car rental. He figured it out!

I wish I could choose the rental place to use but my insurance company goes with this one. The service people are very rude and unco-operative with people renting on insurance claims. I had to return the first car as it was totally unsuitable and not what I'd asked for (a Caliber is nowhere near the size of a Corolla and the Caliber had 3 things wrong with it that would have greatly affected my work).

My weather barometer (Mudpie) has just moved to the basement. Uh oh.

Good luck to everyone tonite and tomorrow and I hope the worst will be over then.

Dagmar :tired: of the :rain:

saef
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I am not soon going to forget the sound of the wind slamming into this motel. It's like feeling subway cars running past. The nearest analogy that I can come up with is the one I've grown up with: It sounds like a blizzard, but with hoses blasting against the window, which, though sealed shut and locked, is still leaking streams of water onto the wall of the room.

I can't believe the power is staying on and the Internet is also holding out.

Then it subsides for a while and leaves me hoping it may pass, until the next set of "cars" rushes through.

This is scary stuff, but I know that as of 6:45 PM, we hadn't been flooded.

I am concerned about overnight, particularly during the very early morning hours, when they are forecasting a tidal surge of historic proportions.

I have wanted to eat my head off but it's my mother who's attacked a bag of pretzels & keeps making trips to the vending machine down the hall while the power holds.

Now I'm reading of a building collapse down in Chelsea, where the facade of an old brick Victorian has given way & you can see into it, like a doll house.

And to think one of my concerns was possibly being seen as overreacting in clearing out my place. Bargoo, you were right. No one will accuse me of that. I do not regret it ... yet. Because as I said, I am actually now also worrying about the storage facility. I did not conceive of the mayhem this thing would cause.

Sheila53
10-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm so sorry, saef. I can't imagine the distress and fear you're feeling. Hoping that your storage facility is spared and, of course, your home.

JayEll
10-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I think that given the way things were looking by Saturday morning, saef, you were doing the right thing to move your valuables and seek higher ground. And by now, it's really looking like a smart move!

In 2004, we were evacuating every two weeks because of hurricanes, and I was really tired of it by the end of the season. Fortunately everything turned out fine, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Hang in there. You have done all you could do. It's just a matter of waiting it out now.

traveling michele
10-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm glad your mom is with you Saef. Still praying for you....

BillBlueEyes
10-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Our power was out from 2 to 8:30 yesterday. We lost two tree branches - one took out the rear window of the tenant's car. Small amount of water in the basement - surprisingly low for the amount of rain. Otherwise we're fine.

It's VERY calm right now. Can't wait for daylight to go inspect the neighborhood.

saef
10-30-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm sitting in this dark motel room at 6:15 AM, where, miraculously, the power NEVER went out, and the wireless wavered but came up often enough for me to continue obsessively checking the local news outlets.

I get better local news from the Internet than the TV with its limited menu of coverage mostly centered on Manhattan and New Jersey.

Also, I get even better news through social media, with friends and fellow residents checking in through email & on Facebook with status updates.

I have no idea what state my home or possessions are in, and won't for a few more hours.

I know that, as of 10 PM last night, we had a big 70-year-old oak tree down on the grounds, though not blocking the road, and also that the Sprain Brook rose up three feet but was not over the wall. (Yet, anyway.) But this news came before the surge & the tides.

Daylight will bring some clarity and answers, and will make my imagination subside and reality set in.

The thing is, I am okay and my mother is okay. We are high on a hilltop. The parking lot of the motel is a bare space like a rock outcrop and there were no trees near the building or our cars.

The news reports that people in the area died out there. They drove their cars into fallen trees, or trees fell on their homes and killed them.

And in Manhattan, the damage is worse than from any blizzard. What has happened there is historic and surpasses anything seen in living memory.

saef
10-30-2012, 07:26 AM
My apartment did NOT flood.

Waiting another half-hour to call storage facility to see if they were as fortunate. Who knew how the shoreline around the Greater NY area would change in such a short time?

BillBlueEyes
10-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Cheers for staying dry all night, saef.

Shannon in ATL
10-30-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm glad to hear that your apartment didn't flood and that you are well, Saef. Hope your possessions in the storage unit are as well.

Glad to hear that you are well, too Bill.

How is everyone else out there?

bargoo
10-30-2012, 09:13 AM
saef, have been concerned about you, thanks so much for keeping us posted.
Hoping all your furniture and other belongings stayed dry.
Bill, hoping that you don't have any more damage than you already have had.

midwife
10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear Bill, Saef and Kitty are well. So relieved your apt hasn't flooded, Saef!

alinnell
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Such good news to hear, saef. And Bill, sorry for the tree limb taking out the window of the tenant's car, but thankfully it sounds like you weathered the storm well, also. I've been on pins & needles wondering how everyone is.

traveling michele
10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Glad to hear that Saef and Kitty are okay! Glad your apartment didn't flood and fingers crossed for your storage unit.

saef
10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
The phone is out at the storage facility and I'm having trouble getting phone service, which doesn't surprise me.

I'm lingering at the motel a bit but, if the way looks safe, may try to venture back to the apartment complex. This is one of those situations where it's easy to get places on highways -- though not through bridges, tunnels or mass transit -- but where our leafy neighborhoods become impassable.

paperclippy
10-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Saef, I'm so glad to hear your apartment did not flood! What a relief.

Megan1982
10-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm taking the day off to work on play things from home and have been moderately productive this morning. Emma is not excited that we haven't been on a substantial walk, though. I texted w my mom who says they have no power but are fine. My sister surprisingly has power but says their heat is off. I think it's gas heat, but their gas stove is fine. Again surprisingly, someone is coming to look at it today. I've resisted turning on the tv but have seen a barrage of amazing photos from facebook. My friends all seem to be fine. Thankfully. I know there are a lot of people out there who aren't fine.

Saef, glad your apartment has been spared. But it might not be safe to walk around. Please watch out for downed power lines that may still be live. I also wonder about continued winds downing more trees and flash flooding, though I don't know the layout of your area. Until utility companies have been able to assess and secure it is still dangerous out there. I'm glad you, mom, and your apt are dry though, and hope your storage unit is also!

Bill, glad damage is minimal where you are as well!

Stay safe in the aftermath, everyone.

Mudpie
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
We had the power out from 11:30 p.m. to after I left for work this morning - 8 a.m. or so. Managed to save my 30% off sirloin tip roast and have had it in the slow cooker since my morning break. Mudpie cried in the hall during the night before I let her into the bedroom and our bed to get warm - down to 62 degrees in the house. She is so skinny now she gets cold all the time.

I did the nice thing and let DH use the remaining hot water for a shower this morning. People have to sit in an office with him - I'm outside so nowhere near as stinky.

Lots of wind and waves at the beach but nowhere near as bad as I thought. The parks are all covered in leaves and sticks and branches and I saw 4 mature large trees downed in the neighbourhood where I work. Power lines down too and police cars guarding them.

Two rain showers today and that was about it. We also had about 30 minutes of beautiful blue sky and sun (!) this morning.

The water surge in NYC harbour produced a wave 32 feet high - holy cr*p! Glad everyone here survived with small or no damage.

Dagmar :rain:

Sheila53
10-30-2012, 06:48 PM
So glad to hear that your apartment didn't flood, saef. I hope that you get good news about your storage facility, too.

I was glued to the weather channel last night. So everyone evacuates except for the newspeople who have to stand out in that weather--so weird to me. The woman who showed the turned over porta-a-potty, then put her hand in the water to show how high it was kind of grossed me out. I was really hoping she had hand sanitizer with her.

saef
10-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Back from my apartment, which is clean and dry and still has that wonderful smell of newly cut lumber, which it has had since I moved in June.

I drove over very carefully, believe me, but the roads were clear, though pasted with fallen leaves on the side, like a path in the woods. Lots of people on foot lugging grocery bags.

No lines down, and in fact, all the traffic lights on the way were operational, which astonished me.

Our complex lost a huge oak that was planted in 1929, when the place was first constructed. Fortunately the tree didn't hit any cars or buildings. It shaded the sidewalk, but fell inward, across our flower garden, rather than out across the road. Passersby keep stopping in front of it and taking its picture. Its huge root system -- covered with black earth on the bottom, which reminds me of one of those felt pads that my mother places on the base of vases or any other object that sits on a table -- is taller than most of the people who stand beside it and smile at the camera.

I will miss that tree. Our old trees which encircle the central green in the complex and line the outside street are one of the most gorgeous things about the complex.

Thanks for your concern, Meagan. But we are through the worst part & moving into the aftermath. The wind has died out almost completely, but gray clouds are still scudding around. The rain is very light. We don't expect any more flooding.

bargoo
10-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Glad to hear your apartment survived with no damage.

Mudpie
10-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Saef I'm so glad you and your new apartment and beautiful things are all ok. Now you can truly enjoy being there and appreciate what a home you're making for yourself even more. :D

Dagmar

Mudpie
10-31-2012, 05:52 AM
My dad returned to "his" house last night. Broke out of the nursing home with the help of someone who he'd never met - the son of a friend of one of his friends. Apparently the guy just walked in, helped my dad dress, and wheeled him out.

My dad left behind a note, written on toilet paper, saying "I will not return". :lol:

So this guy who broke him out is about 40-45 years old, dirty, unshaven, and smelling strongly of cigarettes. I (and I think my dad too) have never seen him before. I immediately felt, from his manner and speech, that he had some mental health issues.

Hubby and I changed to locks on the house so my dad's key didn't work. My dad ordered this guy to get him into the house. So the guy kicked in my mailbox and, when he couldn't squeeze in through there, went around back and smashed in a basement window.

When we arrrived my dad was seated in a chair on the front walk of his house, with my poor neighbour (who hadn't even had a chance to change out of his office clothes) and his wife babysitting him. The guy who brought him as inside on the telephone to the old b*tch who orchestrated all of this.

I was very calm through all of it as I told him who I was, showed his my legal ownership of the house, and then it dawned on "buddy" how much trouble he might be in.

I then called 911 and asked for a non-emergency ambulance. I sent hubby downstairs to board of the window and mailbox until further repairs could be done. Hubby had had a very stressful day at work and he was ready to punch someone out. Best to keep him busy.

I spoke to the neighbours who were calming my dad down. I think it finally dawned on my dad that I was going to stand up to him and not let him back into what is most definitely my house now.

When the paramedics arrived I had a chat with them. My dad had agreed to go quietly by then. Then the police arrived and I very respectfully asked them to scare "buddy" sh*tless with what charges I could level against him.

I thanked everyone again (the patient neighbours who sat in the rain for hours and who have two small kids at home are going to get a big box of belgian chocolate as a thank you), collected DH, and left.

It all seemed so unreal. Like I was participating in some weird competition on a reality game show. And I WON! This is the first time in my life I had stood up for myself and calmly and assertively worked through a complex situation while allowing no one to dominate me or coerce me. :woohoo:

DH and I each had a mango to celebrate and I crawled off to bed.

Dagmar :cp:

BillBlueEyes
10-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Monster Kudos to you, Dagmar, for bringing all of Dagmar to bear on the situation to act firmly in control.

Unbelievable!!! This ranks as one of the great stories happening in the rains of Hurricane Sandy. In the movie version, I picture the camera slowly zooming in on the toilet paper with "I will not return." Classic!

bargoo
10-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Dagmar, congratulations on standing your ground ! That took courage and fortitude, good for you. In the rare chance that something like this should happen again neighbors and police will know the truth. Can you press charges against this nitwit for trespassing and the nursing home for being so lax in providing security for their patients ?

alinnell
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Great story Dagmar! Wonderful for you to stand up to him. You must feel very good for yourself today! Congrats.

I got home yesterday and found little bits of green stuff here and there on the floor. Picked it up and threw it away thinking DS must have tracked it in at some point. Then while making salad, I noticed a piece on the counter near the package of tomatoes. I figured it had to have been a cat (Louie--the trouble maker). This morning my tomatoes were missing! I found them in the cupboard with the plates. I asked DS if he had put them there. Of course he did! To get them away from Louie who was struggling to open the package! Such a good son (and bad cat).

bargoo
10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Alison, you do have interesting pets . I have been meaning to ask you how your dogs are doing. How is Chico'o health ? Have Chico and Misty become buddies or is Chico just tolerating her ?
Has Misty gotten over her cough ?
Did your inlaws find a kitty they like ?
Has Cully become any tamer ?

ICUwishing
10-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Dagmar - I hope you are still surfing on that surge of power! Yes indeed, YOU WON!!! :spin: Very, very nice handling of an ugly situation!

alinnell
10-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Alison, you do have interesting pets . I have been meaning to ask you how your dogs are doing. How is Chico'o health ? Have Chico and Misty become buddies or is Chico just tolerating her ?
Has Misty gotten over her cough ?
Did your inlaws find a kitty they like ?
Has Cully become any tamer ?

Chico is doing well. They discontinued his IV chemo after 5 months (instead of 6 because he was doing so well). But his white count was really low last month, so even if we had wanted to do the IV chemo, we couldn't have. He still gets oral chemo once a month--for at least another 6 months. His next appointment is Monday and hopefully his white count will be better.

Chico still tolerates Misty, but he does initiate play at times, so I think he enjoys her.

Misty is 100% over her pneumonia. Pet owners--pneumonia is expensive to treat! I think the meds cost over $800!

My in-laws still have not chosen a kitten. I don't know if they went to see any last weekend or not. I'll have to find out what they're thinking.

Cully was much tamer before we trapped him. He still comes around for food and I think he's sleeping in the carrier I got for him because the towel inside looks slept on. His mom also comes around for food (we need to trap her, too, but not until we're sure the kittens we think she's had are old enough to survive without her for a couple of days). The past two days Cully sees me, meows, but as I approach he runs and hides. He knows I'm the one that trapped him and took him in for the nut job. I do hope he decides I'm not a mean person. I'd like to pet him again.

traveling michele
10-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Wow-- Dagmar-- that is a crazy story.
I'm so glad you stood up to your dad and you had backup.
Is he back at the nursing home now?

paperclippy
10-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Dagmar, that is a crazy story! Good for you for standing up for yourself and taking charge of the situation.

Saef, glad to hear your apartment is safe and sound.

I sent an email to my aunt who lives in NJ this morning to see how much damage she had, then it occurred to me belatedly that she might not have electricity. She lives on top of a big hill so I doubt she had any flooding, but there are large trees in the area.

Happy Halloween! DH is taking today off to take care of stuff around the house, plus to be ready when trick-or-treat hours start at 5:00. I have to say, the 5:00 schedule is ridiculous. For one thing, it's not even dark outside which makes it less fun for the kids, but mostly, half the people aren't home from work yet. They should have started at 6. In any case I told DH to keep back one of each variety of candy for me which I will dole out over the course of the next few days.

Doing better on getting my exercise this week -- elliptical Monday, yoga yesterday, and in a few minutes I'll be going to go do the stair climber.

Shannon in ATL
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm so proud of you for standing up to your dad, Dagmar! That took a lot of courage, you were awesome. :)

Jessica - great job on the exercise this week!

Saef - sorry about the big tree, very glad that seems to be the worst of it.

:wave: everyone else! I'm on day 2 of 4 of leaving my house in the 5am hour and driving long distances to teach about sexual harassment. Today was only 30 miles away, yesterday about 40. Tomorrow is the one that is 60 miles away, Friday is the one that is 85 miles away. Halfway done... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have a big pot of potato soup on in the crock pot for when I get home, it has been cold out there! I did exercise Monday and yesterday, hopeful I'll get home in time today. Trying to stay on track in the midst of the chaos.

Megan1982
10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

I was moderately productive yesterday and feel slightly better having things under control. I just need to find a few more songs to play before the show and during intermission, and put the finishing touches on the playbill insert. It was also the 4-year anniversary of one of my BF's good friends/surrogate grandfather, and then he came home with some really stressful news about his family... which I won't specify bc he doesn't like it when I tell people about them (sufficive to say there are a few normal ones, but most of them are f!@#$ up). But anyway he was so upset, more upset than I've ever seen him. He seems calmer today but... I guess I just feel so powerless to do anything. And then admittedly selfishly I think about how I'm supposed to go spend Thanksgiving w these people (who I've spent time w before). What am I supposed to say? I want to yell at them for causing the man I love so much pain!

Saef, I'm so glad the damage was not bad to your complex. Whew. Now get that retaining wall job out to bid!

Shannon, GL making it through the week. The crock pot is so nice for long cold days like this.

Jessica, great job on the exercise!

Dagmar, awesome! Way to stay in control and handle the situation calmly. :cp:

Sheila, I've learned the hard way what storm surges can do to things that are *supposed* to hold human waste. Septic tanks, like portalets, are not designed to be submerged in water. I never understood why bleach was on lists for hurricane supplies. Now I know.

Allison, I'm sure your office kitten will trust you again, it will just take some time.

Have a good end-of-week all.

saef
10-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Dagmar, just a note to say: I am thrilled to see you discovering and using your power. It's like watching something hatch and unfurl powerful wings and then test them out.

You go, girl.

CherryPie99
10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been MIA this week, but have been reading everyone's posts.

Saef - so glad you made it through relatively unscathed! We were supposed to get hit pretty hard here in Northern NY but we got literally 1 hour of really bad winds. We browned out twice but didn't lose power and barely got any rain. So we totally made out!

Dagmar, I read you post about Dad and I so feel for you! It's weird because we are in the opposite boat with DH's 94 year old Dad. His mind is sharp as can be but his body is failing him... his hip is terrible but they would never give him a hip replacement at his age. He insists on driving even though his eyesight is bad. He refuses to use a cane and we are so afraid of him falling.

This week has been crazy for me. In the midst of a kitchen renovation and then I happened to notice the tires on my SUV were showing belts!! So there was another $500 I had to spend. I almost started crying. The contractor is down tomorrow, but then we have to do all kinds of finishing work (like staining) and put the kitchen back together! AND we are visiting relatives out of town all weekend - planned the trip months ago, and I know I'll be constantly thinking of all I have to do at home.

Having a mild case of OCD does not help here!

Jen

n

alinnell
10-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Jen, your Dad sounds quite similar to mine. His mind is fairly clear for an almost 91 year old. His eyesight is failing but he insists he can drive. He is unsteady on his feet and shuffles a lot, but at least he uses a cane when he feels he needs it. He has some serious kyphosis which adds to his being unsteady on his feet. The worst part is his constant complaining about my SIL (an RN) who changes his catheter, monitors his meds and cleans out the rotting food from the fridge (which he says is still edible--YUCK).

saef
10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
I mentioned the 70-year-old oak that fell on our property. Here's a picture of its upended root system.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/FallenOakHugeRootSystem.jpg?t=1351732315

For scale, here are some people walking past it. It's been getting a lot of attention from passersby.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/FallenOakwPassersby.jpg?t=1351732326

Mudpie
11-01-2012, 05:30 AM
saef We had an oak of similar size blow over right beside my old high school.

Dagmar

BillBlueEyes
11-01-2012, 06:19 AM
That'salota tree, saef. Glad it didn't do the damage it's mass suggests it was capable of doing.

saef
11-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Bill, that is the truth. The second picture offers some context: The direction in which it fell, which was inward, on our property, demolished a rose garden but that was better than if it fell in the other direction, which would have put it across a much-used sidewalk, a busy street that is the main route to a hospital, and a set of power lines.

alinnell
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow. That's a huge tree! It is good that it fell in such a way that there was little damage. I can imagine what it could have done.

Only two trick-or-treaters last night and they came really late. The dogs were exhausted from the marrow bones I gave them and didn't even bother to get up when they heard the knock. DH suggested I not buy candy but to take some from the office. What a good idea! Now I take the candy back to the office and there's no temptation at home.

bargoo
11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Re: Halloween candy be extra vigilant when you go to the store in the next few days, you will find Halloween candy at 75% off. Hershey bars, Snickers, Milky Way. Reeses Pieces...... have mercy !!

traveling michele
11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
We only bought a little candy because our trick-or-treaters have been dwindling over the years. The weather was lousy but they came out anyway! We went through our candy FAST and had to raid our snacks! They ended up with fruit snacks and rice crispie treats-- but all seemed happy.

Dewey got into a routine. Whenever the doorbell rang, he'd run halfway to the door and stop to let me pick him up. I'd hold him so he could see the cute kids. Then I'd put him down until the bell rang again. Jozi (the Great Dane) had to be blocked off in the downstairs room as I couldn't deal with both of them. We turned the lights off at 8 and no one rang after that. I went to Target/Safeway shortly after and when I came home about 9 there were still plenty of kids/parents around. I think we get families from the nearby apartment complex which is fine with me-- the kids were adorably dressed, polite and with parents-- love it!

WardHog
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I probably have 15 pounds of candy in my house right now, between what I had left over and what the kids came home with. It's really kind of gross.

Mudpie
11-02-2012, 05:33 AM
I have finally stopped letting people wipe their feet on me. I am so tired and emotionally keyed up that I'm no longer acquiescing to the demands made by others on my time and patience.

Yesterday I told DH to make up his mind about his career/study program and tell me when he had decided and embarked on a course of action. Period.

Yesterday I told the social worker at the palliative care facility that I would not take any more time off from work or bend over backwards to work within their schedule. I would meet them half way but no more. I then got a call from the supervisor of the unit during the hours I had specified I would be near my home phone and she agreed to deal with me by email.

And this morning I told the client whose dog has been with me for the longest that he would have to pay full price if he wanted more service. I have been taking this dog out and then also giving her a potty break for less than half my usual fee. She is almost 15 years old and has been with me since she was 7 weeks old so I have a great deal of sentimental fondness for her. Now he wants me to drive back all the way across my service area in rush hour traffic because he had to clean up poo in the hall. He also "forgets" to pay me whenever it's not convenient for him to go 1/2 block up the street to the bank machine. I am willing to go back later for the dog (making my already too long day that much longer) but he has to pay full price and on time.

And this morning I tackle the colllision repair people who will argue with me about my deductible. I already called the insurance hotline and have the info ready for them the confirm that my deductible was been waived.

I feel in control of my life for the first time ever.

Dagmar :strong:

BillBlueEyes
11-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Cheers for Dagmar "in contol."

bargoo
11-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I have finally stopped letting people wipe their feet on me. I am so tired and emotionally keyed up that I'm no longer acquiescing to the demands made by others on my time and patience.

Yesterday I told DH to make up his mind about his career/study program and tell me when he had decided and embarked on a course of action. Period.

Yesterday I told the social worker at the palliative care facility that I would not take any more time off from work or bend over backwards to work within their schedule. I would meet them half way but no more. I then got a call from the supervisor of the unit during the hours I had specified I would be near my home phone and she agreed to deal with me by email.

And this morning I told the client whose dog has been with me for the longest that he would have to pay full price if he wanted more service. I have been taking this dog out and then also giving her a potty break for less than half my usual fee. She is almost 15 years old and has been with me since she was 7 weeks old so I have a great deal of sentimental fondness for her. Now he wants me to drive back all the way across my service area in rush hour traffic because he had to clean up poo in the hall. He also "forgets" to pay me whenever it's not convenient for him to go 1/2 block up the street to the bank machine. I am willing to go back later for the dog (making my already too long day that much longer) but he has to pay full price and on time.

And this morning I tackle the colllision repair people who will argue with me about my deductible. I already called the insurance hotline and have the info ready for them the confirm that my deductible was been waived.

I feel in control of my life for the first time ever.

Dagmar :strong:

Hooray for Dagmar !!

ICUwishing
11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Dagmar - cookin' up the sh!t! :stir: Bravo - though I'm sorry you had to go through so much to get to it. :hug:

saef
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Dagmar, those wings just keep unfolding.

And the voice comes out full-throated and strong.

This is the kind of woman you were always meant to be: No apologies necessary anymore for existing & having needs. Then again, they never were necessary.

Keep riding this wave.

It is inspiring to hear of.

Shannon in ATL
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Rock on, Dagmar! I love it.

paperclippy
11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Great job Dagmar!

Carter had a visit from his dog sitter today for a midday walk (she comes once a month so he will remember her for when we go out of town) -- she put his photo up on her facebook page! You can see it here (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=425991810801611&set=a.141008552633273.31011.131652600235535&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf).

midwife
11-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Yay, Dagmar!!!!

Mudpie
11-03-2012, 05:45 PM
And now I have an ally for getting my dad into a nursing home where he will be monitored and there will be some preventative measures to keep him from "escaping" again. My cousin's wife (who I regard as my SIL) works at a nursing home in the fundraising Foundation. She was appalled at how the current place handled my dad's escapade.

So she took it upon herself to convince the people at her workplace to get my dad transferred there. She will make sure they put a monitoring bracelet on him and she will check on him herself. Then she went to the current place this afternoon and convinced my dad to agree to the transfer. She is very good with people and has superior social skills.

And the mind of a Machiavelli. I am in her debt. I could never, ever have pulled this off. Now I have to convince them to give me the paperwork but that shouldn't be too hard - I don't think they really want my dad there.

Dagmar :woohoo:

WardHog
11-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow, Dagmar! That is great news!

neurodoc
11-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Dagmar, good on you. I am curious: you announced in mid-October that you were taking a break from maintaining due to your heavy life stressors. Did you in fact do that? Did you gain weight as a result? And do you think your break from calorie-counting may have anything to do with your ability to control other aspects of your life?

Mudpie
11-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Dagmar, good on you. I am curious: you announced in mid-October that you were taking a break from maintaining due to your heavy life stressors. Did you in fact do that? Did you gain weight as a result? And do you think your break from calorie-counting may have anything to do with your ability to control other aspects of your life?

I wasn't really calorie counting in the sense of writing everything down every day. I just tried to eat about the same amount of the same foods every day.

I am gaining weight. But that's due to binge eating, Halloween candy, and beer in response to all the stress. When I eat intuitively (? I think that's what it's called) I stay within a 2-3 lb. range of 135, over and under.

And I don't think taking control of my life is related to letting go of weight maintenance. I don't have to put that much time into maintenance - just do the same stuff every day.

My big emotional shifts (last one was 17 years ago so I'm waaay overdue) are not something that can be explained in a logical way. Just as then it was time to walk away from my father now it's time to stand up and fight him.

I know this is rather vague and rambling and of no use but that's how life is yes? I tend to do the really big things when "my little voice" (thanks Magnum)shouts at me. Not after my brain has analyzed and reanalyzed stuff.

And for the record I'm looking forward to having time for active weight maintenance again. I miss my skinny clothes!

Dagmar :tired: but :D

ChrisMohr
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi all,
Well we thought we had Halloween under control. I was doing some wedding business in Aspen that day so we just put put some candies (I had around 100 calories of candy as I was leaving my home) and we drove up to Aspen for me to do my wedding work there. We even brought our own food to eat for the trip. But the hotel had a Halloween special. Unlimited free candies (Belgian chocoloates etc) in the minibar. Then a huge fresh homemade chocolate peanut butter cupcake delivered to our door. And a candy apple. And caramel popcorn. And Oreo cookies. All free and all delivered to our room! I never saw anything like it in my life. I binged, then ate way too much candy and brownies etc the next day too. Now I'm in San Francisco. I'm back under control here, but dread weighing myself when I get home. Oh well. I am not immune to temptation!

bargoo
11-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi all,
Well we thought we had Halloween under control. I was doing some wedding business in Aspen that day so we just put put some candies (I had around 100 calories of candy as I was leaving my home) and we drove up to Aspen for me to do my wedding work there. We even brought our own food to eat for the trip. But the hotel had a Halloween special. Unlimited free candies (Belgian chocoloates etc) in the minibar. Then a huge fresh homemade chocolate peanut butter cupcake delivered to our door. And a candy apple. And caramel popcorn. And Oreo cookies. All free and all delivered to our room! I never saw anything like it in my life. I binged, then ate way too much candy and brownies etc the next day too. Now I'm in San Francisco. I'm back under control here, but dread weighing myself when I get home. Oh well. I am not immune to temptation!

Walk up and down some of those SF hills that might help.