Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 08:36 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default A question about Curves

Hello

I remember that some of you had mentioned about joining the womens health club Curves. Could anyone tell me more about it? What is it like? Do you like it? It is just exercises, or do they do something with nutrition too? How big are the groups that meet?

I got a post card in the mail today, that one has opened up near me ~ I am sort of thinking about it, but know absolutely nothing about health clubs ~ I have no idea if it is affordable or not.

Can you go there every day? What happens if you can't go every day?

Any info anyone can share would be appreciated.

Thanks ~ Gayle
Old 04-21-2003, 09:42 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ok, Here is what I know. I joined Curves In Feb.

PRICE: If you join, but don't want the commitment of a year contract, you can pay 39.00 a month. If you join with a year commitment, you pay 29.00 a month. If you buy a whole year at once, it's even less.

HOURS: This seems to vary from club to club. I think the "norm" is that clubs are open from like 7-1 and then closed for the afternoon and then open from like 4-8. Saturdays 8-1 and closed on Sundays. But some clubs (like mine) have extended their hours. Mine is open 7-7 monday through Friday with the 8-1 on Saturday. I think they are all closed on Sundays.

WHAT IS IT: It's a circuit of weight machines. but intstead of having to change the weights, it's based on hydraulics, so each lady can move from machine to machine without having to adjust anything. In between each machine is a padded walking board. So picture this...do a machine for 30 sec, the walk in place for 30 seconds, do the next machine for 30 seconds, walk in place for 30 seconds. The machines are in a circle with the walking boards between each one. It takes you more or less 30 minutes to do the circuit 3 times. It's designed to be weight resistance and cardio at the same time.

HOW OFTEN: The recommended time is 3x per week. But lots of people go more. The idea is that is you go more you are supposed to alternate between focusing on the machines and focusing on the cardio.

NUTRITION: They do have a book and a workbook and most clubs have classes that work through the book. But it's mostly emphasis on the exercise.

My place has nothing but the machines and the walking boards. that's it.

I LOVE Curves. It's the most consistant exercise that I have ever done. You walk out with a good workout, but you can walk out!!!

Plus, it's all women, so no Intimidation.

Go to www.curvesforwomen.com
Old 04-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #3  

I just joined curves and as far as the info that Sandi gave, it's great. I just wanted to add a little. My curves is open from 6am-7pm. mon - fri. and from 7-1 on Sat.

My curves has an aerobic room as well and does all kinda classes like yoga, kickboxing, etc.

I do the food program and like it. It is flexable enough for me.

I hope you like it if you join,

Bella23
Old 04-22-2003, 12:39 AM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default more questions

I thought of more questions.

I am way out of shape, and stiff in the joints ~ do you think I could do this ~ can I keep up? Will it bother my joints? What if I can't keep up?

What kind of clothes do you wear there?

Is it possible to try it for a month to see if you like it and can do it ~ like pay for a month at a time?

Again ~ thanks for your help.

Gayle
Old 04-22-2003, 08:22 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

From what I've heard it seems to help stiff joints. Yes, I think you can do it. Mainly because you do it at your own pace. You may do 8 reps on a machine and someone else may do 10 - all at your own pace.

There is a start-up fee that I didn't mention. It's like 140.00 - but they usually have a special for 60% off or so. You have to pay that no matter what. But you can try it first for a week free. That's what I did. They tried to tell me that I could only have the week free or the 60% off the start-up fee. But I wasn't joining if I couldn't have both and funny thing, the manager approved both.

If you want month by month, you can do that, you just pay the higher fee. Make sure they know you want month by month.

Why not check it out and do the week free. I think you'll like it!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #6  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Truthfully, you might want to look into a gym. Besides the fact that Curves is all women, I'm not sure what it has that a gym doesn't. The gym I go to costs the same as Curves ($39.00/month) with a $100.00 "initiation fee." I also have a month-to-month membership (no contract) and have the use of cardio machines (like treadmills and bikes), all manner of weights (both free and machine), a swimming pool, tennis courts, indoor walking track, racquetball courts, plus water aerobics, step, kickboxing, and spinning classes.

Check your local gyms and see if you could get more bang for the buck.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:34 PM   #7  

My first time fee at Curves was only $50.00 and I signed a year contract. I went to a regular gym and it would take me at least 2.5 hours to complete all the weights and walking. If I took a class, I didn't get everything in. Sure it was great to be able to swim, but my gym was so busy all the time that it was a big waiting game.

I also like the fact that the gym is all woman. I guess it's all personal choice, but I like the time spent at Curves and the ladies that I work out with.

Bella23
Old 04-23-2003, 12:05 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

I think it depends on what kind of time you have. 30 minutes and I am in and out. I can find 30 minutes!!!!

At a gym it would take much longer.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #9  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Stiff Joints...

I thought I'd jump in here to add this:

I have very stiff joints along with degenerative arthritis. This means that I have to keep moving or I'll get so stiff that I won't be able function.

The Curves routine is perfect for me. Because the work-out is done in a circuit, no one can race around the circle or run over you when you may be taking your time. The voice-over on the music tells us when to go to the next station so everyone moves at once. You can go at what ever speed you want when you are at each station.

Some days I'm moving slowly and others I can zip along (for me!) but I'm always comfortable because no one is looking. Everyone is doing her own thing at her own pace.

The Curves I go to has just added classes (for a fee) but they are not necessary in order to get a good result from Curves. I just renewed for my second year.
Closed Thread