Weight Loss Support - Ditching the scales?

View Full Version : Ditching the scales?

AmyAmy
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I was weighing myself everyday. During the last few weeks I've noticed a pattern. When my weight is higher then I expected, I feel demotivated and binge. When it's lower than expected, I end up binging because "I've done so well". At first I decided to limit it to once a week, but after going about 4 days without weighing in, I'm starting to feel much more confident in my body, and the binge cravings seem to have mostly disappeared. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just give up weighing myself altogether, or even just do it once a week. What do you guys think? Has anyone else done this.

LockItUp
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm struggling with the same exact thing right now, big time!!! I really just wanted to weigh once a week, maybe even less, but I hopped on the scale this morning, boo to me! I definitely know weighing every day is not good for me anymore though, so I'm working on that! You just have to figure out what is best for you! Which can take some trial and error!

bargoo
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
That works for some people but not for me. If I were to not weigh myself and gained weight I would be really upset that I wasn't able to do something about it because I didn't know I was gaining.

1spunkygal
10-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I go back n' forth sometimes I weigh too much get confidant & think I can eat. Then I go up a lb & say whooooo nelly. I like to keep a handle on things I weigh daily & only Friday morning counts for "the official". I guess I'm a NUT I need to know where I am on a daily basis.

I have on occasion had my husband hide the scale from me but he didn't do a good job (I found it ) :D

Like I said I'm a NUT (harmless)

twinieten
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
If you find that weighing yourself is a set back, then stop! You have to do what works for you! If you find that you are more able to stay in control and on track without your weight, then don't weigh yourself. Or limit to weekly, every other week, once a month, not at all, or whatever keeps you motivated.

angieand2girls
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
That works for some people but not for me. If I were to not weigh myself and gained weight I would be really upset that I wasn't able to do something about it because I didn't know I was gaining.

The way I see it is, when I'm in weight loss mode, I'm extremely conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth (the quality of food) and how much I'm eating (portion control). So if I'm doing the right things, there is no reason I should be gaining weight. I think at this point, we know what we should be doing to get the weight off and to be healthy.....to say that without the scale you'd have no clue is like saying I'm completely unaware of how my eating behaviors will affect my weight.

Hey! It sounds like a "KICK-THE-SCALE" challenge is in order!! Oh that would be fun! How about a 30 day challenge? And the focus during the challenge should be about feeling good about the things you're doing to lose weight and get healthy...shifting the focus to your behaviors and not the number on the scale. Eh? Just a thought. :)

1spunkygal
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
If you find that weighing yourself is a set back, then stop! You have to do what works for you! If you find that you are more able to stay in control and on track without your weight, then don't weigh yourself. Or limit to weekly, every other week, once a month, not at all, or whatever keeps you motivated.

YES whatever works for you ! :)

stimkovs
10-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey! It sounds like a "KICK-THE-SCALE" challenge is in order!! Oh that would be fun! How about a 30 day challenge? And the focus during the challenge should be about feeling good about the things you're doing to lose weight and get healthy...shifting the focus to your behaviors and not the number on the scale. Eh? Just a thought. :)

yes! i think we should do it!!

mottainai
10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I've ditched mine for the time being. It was messing with my head a bit. It's been very helpful so far. It's also nice to have a goal that's easy to accomplish - just avoid stepping on a scale! lol

toastedsmoke
10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
If the scales are bugging you, you can ditch them for other measures of your progress. Like how your clothes are fitting (caveat being you have to get rid of slouchy, baggy clothing which can hide the truth) or weigh in once a week or every two weeks or every month.

I used to have a really bad relationship with the scale and I'm still working on it but I'm beginning to find acceptance that the numbers from my daily weigh ins are just that- numbers that I CAN change whatever the previous day(s) was/were like. It's a tough road and obviously I am happy when the scale moves in the right direction, but I'm learning to roll with the punches and keep going on to make good decisions.

LandonsBaby
10-26-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm considering giving it up. I don't need it to tell me when I'm gaining. I'm very short. I can tell when I've gained 2lbs. I don't need to step on a scale to figure it out, my clothes let me know.

AmyAmy
10-26-2012, 02:31 AM

This sounds like an awesome idea! I think I might give up weighing myself for at least 30 days and see how I go.

I've got several clothes that all fit me differently which I'm going to use as reference to how well I'm doing. I doubt I'll gain weight because I know I'm eating at a deficit. Binging is the only thing at the moment that's standing in my way, and the scales have become a trigger.

baker23
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I go back and forth...at my higher weights, I ditched the scale but could feel that I was losing. I didn't need to see a number every day, or every week to tell me I was. But as I got closer to my goal, and it became harder to lose even a fewpounds I started weighing everyday. It helped to show me if what I was doing, was working, and kept me modivated.

I actually ended up ditching my scale all together for a few months after hitting my goal though, and gained 10 pounds xD so just depends. Taking measurements of your body is a good way to track progress too :) Good luck with whatever you do

AilsaPearl
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
The way I see it is, when I'm in weight loss mode, I'm extremely conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth (the quality of food) and how much I'm eating (portion control). So if I'm doing the right things, there is no reason I should be gaining weight. I think at this point, we know what we should be doing to get the weight off and to be healthy.....to say that without the scale you'd have no clue is like saying I'm completely unaware of how my eating behaviors will affect my weight.

^^^THIS!

I think once we get going with healthy eating and counting calories we more or less develop a knowledge about how many calories we're putting in our bodies every day. If you are exercising regularly too and staying under your calorie limit and the scale doesn't reflect that, F the scale! I find that when I have maybe not been recording what I've been eating or taken a couple days off or been on vacation or away, etc, I like to weigh myself afterwards to know where my starting pt so to say is. But if you are doing all the things right that you have control over, ignore the scale for a couple weeks. That is really discouraging. If you know you've been slacking and not recording your intake, the scale might reflect that. But as long as you know that you've been pulling your weight just go based on how you look and feel! don't let those numbers get you down. I'm sure you look great

JohnP
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't own a scale.

LaurieDawn
10-26-2012, 01:25 PM

I think this is going to vary from person to person. While you have been wildly successful with your method, I think maintainers or people with only a little to lose have so little wiggle room in calories, weight creep may genuinely catch them by surprise. It also relates to the plan someone uses. A calorie counter can give up the scale more easily than an intuitive eater, I would imagine, at least until she has to tweak her calories as she struggles to get off the last few pounds.

But I love what an amazing example you are. You are proof that a person can be very successful without a scale!

gfinca
10-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I weigh myself every single morning.

The latest studies show that people who weigh themselves every day have a much better chance of losing and for those in maintenance not regaining if they weigh every day.

Of course it's a whole new mindset. As someone who weighed in once a week for years, I had to learn to read the weight fluctuations that happen on a daily basis not as failures, but as signals my body was giving me. Sometimes it's just water retention, etc. The body naturally fluctuates in weight every day.

May I recommend a blog I found that TOTALLY changed my mind about daily weigh-ins. It is the most intelligent essay on the importance of daily weighing than any study, etc. I've read. I guess weighing daily just keeps me more in tune with my body and keeps me super aware not to overeat if my weight has an upward trend.

The blog is called Beeminder Blog. If you google beeminder+Why Weigh (Daily)? you will find it.

SunnySide99
10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I haven't completely ditch my scale since I weigh myself twice a month for tracking purposes, but ditching weighing myself every day has been one of the best things I have done. I'm more concerned with tracking inches lost, seeing rolls dissappear and how my clothes fit, well fall off of me. lol

ADL
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I cant tell you how many times i've woken up feeling skinny only to find I hadnt lost any weight. For now, I need the scale to keep me on track.

KittyKatFan
10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I went for months and months without getting on a scale and it was liberating. In past weight loss attempts, I would get depressed and give up if I didn't lose as much as I hoped.

In September, I got curious about my progress - it had been two months since my one-year weigh in - and I was disappointed. Then I binged. I got back on track, but ended up weighing myself nearly every day. I started to become obsessed with the scale, and then I was in a two-week eating frenzy.

Bottom line: I'm back on track, eating better, and not touching the scale. It just causes me problems. I will weigh in at the year and a half mark in January or if I have to see a doctor, whichever comes first.

If the scale is causing you grief, then don't use it.

elizurofsinai
10-26-2012, 09:49 PM
I only weigh myself when I've been doing good.. if I have a bad day or 3 bad days I stay away from the scale for about a week so I don't freak out about the gain.. usually it doesn't end up affecting my weight in the end, I'm usually really surprised and happy that I still lost a pound or two and it motivates me to keep trying. For a while I did the exact same thing and it wasn't working at all

shcirerf
10-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I get up every morning and weigh myself. Under the same circumstances.

I write it down on the calendar above my scale.

I am a lifetime WW member.

I have also maintained my loss for a year now. I also track every single thing I put in my mouth and all my exercise.

I have found a sweet spot.

Between tracking and weighing in I've figured out what works for me.

Some days the scale may be up or down.

For me, the biggest thing is, I only count the end of the month, and if I'm on track at the end of the month, it's all good.

Tracking and weighing on a daily basis, but only counting/reviewing once a month, allows me to track trends in eating and exercise habits and look back at trends and see what works and what does not.

kaplods
10-26-2012, 11:36 PM
I think that the mindest is more important than the scale. If ditching the scale helps, ditch the scale.

For me it didn't help. Whether I weighed daily or monthly I had the same response to the scale. Gains and losses both gave me excuses (different excuses, but still excuses) to eat off plan. It wasn't my fault for binging, it was the scale.

I had to learn that the scale doesn't make me do or think anything. I choose HOW to use the scale. I can use it for motivation, or as an excuse to do whatever it is I really wanted to do anyway, or I can choose not to use it at all.

I had to change the way I used the scale. For me, that meant taking away my ability to reward and punish myself through the scale. For some people, ditching the scale might provide that freedom. For me, weighing multiple times daily at first (until I understood all the sources of weight fluctuation) and then weighing daily has provided that freedom.

I don't let the scale affect my self-worth or even my feelings of success. Even when I' very excited at a new low weight, I try to remind myself that my worth hasn't changed, and neither have my goals. If I let the scale tell me how to feel (which is just me choosing to feel whatever way that is) I'm doomed to be a slave to the scale.

Mastering the scale feels better than avoiding the scale ever did (and when I avoided the scale I just had more reason to eat whatever I wanted, because if I could convince myself that the number didn't matter, I also could convince myself that my weight didn't matter either).

I still believe the exact number doesn't matter. The scale doesn't tell me whether I've been "good or bad" because I don't use those words any more. My weight is just one measure of progress, and the scale is only a tool to help me gauge that. I have to use the tool in responsible way.

Do whatever you have to do, to use your tools responsibly.

AmyAmy
10-27-2012, 01:13 AM
I've decided that I'm going to weigh myself once a week just to make sure weight doesn't creep up on me. I've decided to increase my calories quite a bit, so I'll weigh myself to make sure I don't start gaining weight.

TripSwitch
10-27-2012, 04:58 AM
I still hop on the scale a lot... But now I don't let the number on it control what I'm going to do next...(if it was a "good" number than I could slack off, if it was a "bad" number well than I would just have to get really strict and do something that ultimately didn't work anyway...) Now I have a whole bag of tricks up my sleeve when it comes to weight loss strategies that have been working for me, so I just try to do my best to stick with it and stay on track...

So I haven't ditched the scale, but I think I have finally ditched my old negative attitudes and behaviors that the scale used to bring out in me...

Going4Lean
10-27-2012, 11:14 AM
For me, it varies. I go through spurts of weighing, everyday, and then other times when I'll only weigh a few times a month. When, and if, my scale's gonna register a drop, though, it seems to do it on Monday, only...so the *daily*
weighing I do, is kinda silly. :D

sontaikle
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
For me, it varies. I go through spurts of weighing, everyday, and then other times when I'll only weigh a few times a month. When, and if, my scale's gonna register a drop, though, it seems to do it on Monday, only...so the *daily*
weighing I do, is kinda silly. :D

Ha! This is almost me exactly. In maintenance I go through phases where I weigh every day and others where it's sporadic. I'm in a sporadic phase now.

I'm thinking of not paying too much attention to the scale lately, since I notice I'm on the higher end of my range (112.4 is the upper end) but my clothes are actually a little looser. That's weight training for ya! :dizzy:

Amarantha2
10-27-2012, 12:09 PM
I weigh once a week for the data and now and then hop on for a peek but have also taken vacations from it for specified periods.

For me, the information the scale gives me is just part of the whole picture that includes measurements (weekly) and other parameters, such as my eating and exercise behavior. But I have found that at times when I don't weigh regularly I kind of start lying to myself about my weight maintenance management and that is when I find myself eventually gaining real weight over time and not watching as I need to do for a lifetime.

But yea, by all means, a specified period of time away from the scale has helped me, too, although at the moment, I'm not up for that kind of challenge.

Very interesting thread, wishing everyone the best in their endeavors.

Miss Health
10-27-2012, 04:28 PM
I find scales are a poor indication for anything other than drastic weight loss. When you take into account contents of the bowel, muscle weight and water weight, they do tend to make you feel fatter.

Go by the looseness of your clothing. I haven't stepped on a scale for months, I don't really enjoy it.

shcirerf
10-28-2012, 12:07 AM
The scale is a tool used to give us feed back.

There are lots of tools we can use, how our clothes fit, how we feel, our blood work, are we getting health issues under control, are our clothes getting looser, do we feel better, is our tracking of our eating habits helping, is the exercise working.

All of those are tools, it just happens that the scale is the fastest and easiest.

Weighing, and tracking food and exercise, annual bloodwork and looking back at what I've done, and seeing patterns in my behavior has been so helpful. But, it's a long process.

However, keeping all of that information and using it as feed back, is what has helped me know what I need to do.

Slush
10-28-2012, 12:56 AM
I can't weigh myself everyday. You don't really drop any significant weight in just one day, so to me, everyday feels like a failure when I don't see any change. Sure, on the 30th day you might be minus some pounds, but those 29 days before that you weighed seem kind of pointless to me. I'd rather weigh myself every 3 months at the docs and see -10 pounds or so and feel awesome!

strutter5150
10-28-2012, 01:21 AM
This issue is what actually got me online searching for support. I've lost 45 lbs but am gaining weight back. I'm doing the Insanity workout (I have three weeks left) and have lost 11.5 inches but the scale is creeping up and I'm losing my motivation because of what the scale is telling me. I have struggled with my weight all of my life and it's very discouraging to see. Logically I understand what is happening, it's definitely a mental thing, but I can't seem to break through my mindset or my horrible addiction to the scale.

I'm hoping I found the right place to get myself back on track and in the right mindset again!

kelleyb
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Yep, a high number on the scale triggers a binge and bad eating patterns the rest of the day and maybe more to come. I am not getting on the scale again anytime soon. I will use clothes to judge how I am doing, period.