Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #1  
New again

S/C/G: 247/247/170

Height: 5' 9"

Red face Anyone else need to do low sodium? Need friends and encouragement!

I have to lose about 70 pounds....probably need to lose 20 more after that but I just re-joined and I don't want to think about that much yet!! I am having blood pressure and ankle swelling. My doctor told me I need to lose some weight to get my blood pressure under control. He gave me a copy of the DASH diet - but I really want to just go back to eating very healthy foods that are naturally low in sodium. Would love any ideas about good things to eat, and would love a weight loss buddy if anyone is interested!!

I am 45 and a divorced mom of two teens. Anyone?
MakingTheRestTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

The DASH diet is really the gold standard for lowering blood pressure... For me personally, we use it in our practice and in hospitals that we are affiliated with... you might want to take a look at "The DASH Diet for Weight Loss" book for a specific plan...

Good luck...

P.S. Eating "very healthy foods" that are "naturally low in sodium" is the basis of the DASH diet... so easy enough to make that work for you if you want...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 10-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I once was put on an 800 calorie a day, no salt diet die to high blood.pressure, all under Doctor's orders and supervision, this was succesful and I did go back to eating normally. It took some doing to find things without salt and some of the non salt foods are nasty but I learned what I could and would eat and years later I no longer follow a no salt diet but I do not add salt to food. If you come to my house to eat I will put a salt shaker on the table if you want it but I do not put salt in anything I prepare, soups, vegetables, etc. After awhile food with salt will taste very salty and you will be drinking a lot of water.
PS if your Doctor recommends the DASH diet I would take his advice.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-23-2012 at 09:54 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/200/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm also following DASH - working with a dietician!

Would love to have a buddy for support.
batyah is offline   Reply With Quote