Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat October 22 - October 28

BillBlueEyes
10-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Last week I thought I'd get a week of simple eating as I felt the afterglow from hearing the Dalai Lama. Unfortunately, I spent the week having too many nibbles between meals. Kinda hard to blame that on His Holiness. This week's resolve is the same as last week - to get back on my simple eating plan.

My sympathies to those of you in swing states who are getting deluged with presidential campaign literature. There's less than a month to go - hang in there.

Mudpie
10-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Morning all - have a great week!

Dagmar

WardHog
10-22-2012, 07:12 AM
good morning! Still a month to go? ugh!

It's chilly today; hope it feels warmer in the pool.

Hope everyone has a great week!

paperclippy
10-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Good morning! I'm back after a week in Seattle at a conference for work. I am exhausted. Why does sitting in a room listening to people talk make me so tired?

The good news is that I didn't gain any weight. The bad news is that I was already at my red line to begin with. It's okay though because DH is on a health kick again (trying to make his sixpack more visible when he's not flexing or something), so it's easier to not eat junk at home. The only problem is that his health kick involves a different sort of diet from mine, and makes it very difficult for us to eat the same food. He goes for the super-high-protein low-carb diet, which works great for him (esp. for all his weight lifting), but horribly for me.

Goal for this week: exercise four days. That should be doable.

alinnell
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Good morning.

I'm hoping that I hear something from the ticket company that I bought tickets from for the Book of Mormon. I sent an email to them and I did finally find a phone number that works and left a message. I don't know why a venue like the Pantages would contract with a company to sell tickets (or maybe it's not them but the actual show?) and not keep tabs on who gets the tickets or not. In any case, I'm still hopeful that I'll get the tickets. Otherwise we won't be able to go. There are NO days with 6 tickets available together. The matinee we are scheduled to see has 11 available--but they're scattered all over the place.

My goal today is just to make it through the day. I have a feeling that there is going to be something that comes up that will need a lot of attention.

saef
10-22-2012, 10:33 AM
This is one of those weeks at work that ought to be relaxing, but isn't, even though much of the company is off in Orlando, running a huge conference, and my boss is taking a week of vacation.

I have an important PowerPoint to revise and then present on Wednesday morning.

And this coming weekend, I've got to travel to Pennsylvania for a sort of family reunion dinner, which I have no interest in -- they're my mother's cousins & I have never met them. She revived their childhood relationship with emails & exchanges of cute cat photos & etc. Really, I feel I'm going there mostly to testify with my presence on my mother's behalf, to show that she successfully raised a functional (and nonfat) middle-class professional daughter.

Like Allison, I have a dread of something coming up at work that is going to be urgent and require all my attention. What should I call this feeling? Proactive anxiety?

alinnell
10-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I am so confused.

Last April I purchased tickets to go see The Book of Mormon at the Pantages Theater. I did it online. I went to the Pantages website and clicked on Purchase Tickets. Apparently this took me to a specific seller (iconcerttickets.com) because the Pantages does not sell tickets?. I chose the area I wanted tickets and purchased them. Yesterday I got a call from "Show Tickets" and the person said that they were unable to get a hold of the seller of my tickets and there was no guarantee that I would get my tickets and I should contact my credit card company. I did, and they'll investigate and refund if possible. Anyway, I called "Show Tickets" this morning and they see my purchase info, but since they aren't the seller, they can't guarantee I'll get the tickets (I might). I asked what their relationship was. She said that groups of tickets are purchased by sellers and then sold to whomever wants the tickets. Show Tickets acts as a middleman to show orders but they don't own the tickets therefore they don't send the tickets out. Is this a legitimate business? Why would venues do this? Doesn't the venue look bad if ticket sellers don't follow through with sending the tickets?

CherryPie99
10-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm starting about Monday very down and depressed. We demolished the walls of our kitchen over the weekend and found that one whole wall is COMPLETELY dryrotted. The main support beams are so bad the contractor said that they could have collapsed at any time. I know it's good that we found this out and it can be fixed, but it's going to add $$$$ I don't have to an already pricey project.

I'm so stressed out that I didn't sleep well last night, we have cabinets all over the house and can barely get into our fridge which is stuffed in the spare bathroom.

I stress nibbled all weekend and the scale shows me up a pound this morning.

And the icing on the cake - which is stupid - but my MP3 player blew during my long run this weekend. The one I wanted is only $40 which normally I would just buy, but with all the other money I've been shelling out, spending $40 right now hurts!

So I am throwing a huge pity party for myself today.

Hopefully the week can go nowhere but up!

Jen

saef
10-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Ah yes, the good old ticket brokers and their sophisticated software, buying up all the seats in seconds for lucrative resale.

It's because of all the theaters outsourcing ticket sales to the near-monopolist Ticket Master & if not, then to the mayhem of other smaller resale venues.

I've learned to be really, really careful about ticket-selling links and browser redirects. Last winter, when I bought "Jersey Boys" tickets for a touring production Upstate, as a gift for my mother, I saved myself some $$ shopping among several sites and resisting some automatic redirects. Sheesh! I would've been better off driving downtown to the theater itself.

I am relieved that often, in NY, I have the luxury of walking over to the Box Office and buying directly at the theater. That tends to cut out a lot of fees except the "theater fee," which usually they say is for renovating or maintaining the historic theater buildings.

alinnell
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I had success in catching the feral kitty (Culley) this afternoon. Grateful that I didn't have to "trick" him into going into the trap (no bait). We'd set it up last week and left it locked open and put his towel in there. So he was quite happy to go in and nap. I armed it this morning when he wasn't around and just after lunch he went in for his nap.

I have a call in to the clinic to have him fixed tomorrow. He'll sleep in our storage room tonight and tomorrow night and I'll release him on Wednesday.

I'm certain he hates me for sure now. He had been happy to have me pet him until the day I grabbed him and tried to get him into the regular carrier. Now he won't come near me. And now I've trapped him and moved him indoors! What horrors!

Culley (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wAzGjrzfkfY/UIWoZnv2b7I/AAAAAAAABNA/j591LoJLPEM/s954/2012-10-22_13-11-03_973.jpg)

saef
10-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Last week I thought I'd get a week of simple eating as I felt the afterglow from hearing the Dalai Lama. Unfortunately, I spent the week having too many nibbles between meals. Kinda hard to blame that on His Holiness.

For me, I don't believe in the efficacy of single-occasion conversion experiences. As many times as I've closed a book or walked away from a lecture, sermon or a therapy session resolving to change my life, that one moment has never done it for me. It takes a series of such moments repeating themselves over & over before I really act on my resolutions. And then those actions are really small changes, and I have to repeat them and feel them reinforced with some degree of success -- or I get nowhere except that nice glow of good intentions. (Doesn't that feel good, though? For at least a minute? Even if it leads to nothing? Good intentions are so seductive, as if in themselves, they ought to be enough. "It's the thought that counts." No, unfortunately, it never is.)

But yeah, I always want to believe that I'm not a dumb animal, that I hear something just once and that will be enough to power me through to a new & better mode of living. Forever.

It's not. Not for me, anyway.

Change is difficult & slow & usually painful.

And it goes unrewarded for a certain length of time, too.

I am an animal who needs a lot of effort and reinforcement before the switch really turns the light on permanently in my brain.

Megan1982
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Another semi-busy week. I feel I'm on top of things, so I'm busy but not too stressed out. BF has been out of town but gets home tonight, I think. Emma and I had a nice girls weekend including long walks and wogs on the beach, and Sunday I went with friends to see "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying". Great show! Small pat on the back for fitting in a wog with the dog yesterday between work and rehearsal. I felt so bad leaving her home so much of the day w BF out of town, so instead of doing an easy shorter walk I tried to get her (and myself) a little more high intensity exercise in the limited time I had.

If I had a dollar for every boat BF owns... ok, I'd only have $3, but he is getting another one. I told him he must sell his current sailboat before buying his new one, and though he says he will I know from experience this might not happen. He has a new business plan to do sailboat charters next year. While this could be a good idea since no one in the area is doing sailboat charters I hope he will follow through with it. He tends to get ideas and not follow through... and more boats somehow get parked in my yard, not to mention the money suck boats are. Gah. Ok. I'll stop now.

Allison, that soup recipe you posted last week sounds yummy. Maybe I'll make it this weekend. Thanks! That really stinks about the tickets. I hope you get them, but at the very least perhaps if you complain about that seller maybe the theatre/show won't use them anymore.

Jen, hang in there. Just envision your finished kitchen. What kind of music player do you use? I'm trying to get my second Ipod to hang on to life through Christmas, but will probably get a different brand next time. This is the second one to die and I can't afford (or at least, think it's silly) to replace the ipod every two years at their prices.

Jessica, 4 days of exercise is doable! Let's do it together! Maybe whatever protein DH wants, you could make yourself a carb to go with it, and a small portion of the protein while he eats a large one, and of course a veggie for you both. Make all the pieces and then just let each of you eat the pieces you want, y'know?

Have a good week all. :)

Shannon in ATL
10-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I step forward a little bit, then I stab myself in the foot and do something stupid. I've now exercised five of seven days three weeks in a row. Last week I had a 'perfect' week - I made my calorie goal 7 of 7 days and I made my full exercise schedule. So last night I ordered pizza at 11:30 because I was starving to death after the debate and said "I have only had 1000 calories today, it will be fine." Which of course it wasn't. Meh.

On the upside, DSS had his first quarter conference at school yesterday and is doing much better - he had to write a letter to his parents for the conference. Included my name in the address list to his mom's chagrin and said in it that he was starting to love school. We may finally have beaten this.

Shannon in ATL
10-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Allison - I'm sorry about your BOM tickets, I know that you were looking forward to it. :( How did the butternut squash tart you mentioned last week turn out?

Jessica - four days this week is totally doable.

Jen - well, good that you found the dry rot sooner rather than later I guess. Will it extend the reno time?

Megan - sounds like a fun weekend! And I'm snickering at BF buying another boat to clutter the yard, honestly. Sorry, I know it is a real issue and one that would likely make me crazy as well. :)

Saef - I've skipped our last few family reunions. Luckily my parents don't seem too bothered by that. I hope the weekend goes well for you.

Bill - I'm not in a swing state and I'm getting flooded with calls and mailers, I can't imagine being in a more critical location.

Hi Dagmar!

Ward, I like the cool mornings! I want more of them. :)

Time for lunch for me now I think. Then back to writing my own PPT presentation. Woo.

alinnell
10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
How did the butternut squash tart you mentioned last week turn out?

Oh, my goodness, it was wonderful! However, I think I'll do it a little different next time.

This is the recipe, from Epicurious:

Butternut Squash Tart with Fried Sage

1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed (from a 17.3-ounce package)
1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
12 1/8"-thick rounds peeled butternut squash
kosher salt
1/4 cup honey
1 thinly sliced Fresno, jalapeņo, or red Thai chile
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 fresh sage leaves
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
black pepper

preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently roll out 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed (from a 17.3-ounce package) on a lightly floured surface to a 10" square (just enough to even out). Transfer to prepared sheet.
Brush pastry with 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water. Arrange twelve 1/8"-thick rounds peeled butternut squash (cut from squash's neck) over pastry, overlapping as needed and leaving a 1/2" border. Place another sheet of parchment paper over squash. Set another large rimmed baking sheet over the tart. (This will weigh down the pastry dough and steam the squash slices.)
Bake until bottom of pastry begins to brown and top begins to puff, about 10 minutes.
Remove top baking sheet and discard top sheet of parchment paper. Brush squash slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with kosher salt. Return tart, uncovered, to oven and bake until pastry is deep golden brown and cooked through, 25–30 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup honey, 1 thinly sliced Fresno, jalapeņo, or red Thai chile, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat (add another thinly sliced chile if more heat is desired). Boil until thickened slightly and syrupy, about 6 minutes.
Line a plate with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet until just beginning to smoke. Add 12 fresh sage leaves; fry until crisp, about 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Slice tart. Arrange 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan on top; drizzle with chile-infused honey. Garnish with fried sage leaves and a few grinds of black pepper.

Changes I will do next time:
1--cook the squash in the microwave until easier to slice (very difficult to slice raw squash in very thin slices)
2--cook the puff pastry until almost done, then add the cooked squash on top and return to the oven to make it all evenly hot (the center of the puff pastry never really got "done")
3--forget the fried sage (too greasy) just sprinkle either fresh or dried on top

traveling michele
10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone!

I only have a few minutes so no individual replies but I did enjoy reading everything. Especially your good news Shannon. I certainly hope you all have turned a corner!!

I'm back from Arizona and up 4 pounds. It's my own dumb fault. I really didn't choose wisely and I'm paying for it. I don't know why I do this to myself, but I really allowed myself to eat things on my "never" list. I'm going to have to get cracking to get it off again. I do much better in my routine.

It was great seeing both dd's, but of course stressful and tiring. I didn't get to Arizona until 1 am and this was after my weeklong book fair. Now I'm trying to finalize everything from the book fair and simultaneously put the library back in working order. I went to a Mormon baptism (conversion) on Saturday and the church service on Sunday. I'm glad dd wanted to include me and I got to meet her friends and learn more. We did lots of shopping and eating and spent too much money.

Dh flew back to Washington with older dd to help her with things around her apartment, her truck, etc. They are getting ready for her service dog which will hopefully be coming in November, so they bought dog beds, food, etc. I don't want to see my credit card statements!!

Looks like the pet sitter went great. She emailed me updates and pictures, and even posted photos on facebook. She has a page for her business and posts photos of the pets she watches. She said she loved watching them and I definitely plan on using her again.

Off to add up book fair stuff. I'll check in later....

saef
10-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh, I so do NOT want to have to give a PowerPoint presentation at tomorrow's staff meeting.

This is completely souring my enjoyment of life tonight.

I'd rather write up PowerPoints that other people present. It's why I write for a living rather than working as some kind of motivational speaker or consultant or analyst. I just write what those people say, or rather perform, since there is an acting element involved in that skill.

This is ridiculous because it feels like when you have to give a presentation before the class in middle school or even grade school and it makes you nervous to stand up there & look at your little index cards. Shouldn't I have outgrown this by now?

Megan1982
10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Happy hump day everyone!

I learned over the weekend that "the city" that I go to when I tell you I'm going to the city (where my city office is, and the good grocery store, and where I go to the university theatre) is getting a Trader Joe's! SOOOOO exciting! Sometime in 2013 I'll be asking you all for your "must have" healthy TJ's items.

Saef, even some seasoned actors get stage fright before they go on stage, every time. I still get nervous for presentations but not so nervous when I'm acting. I think it's because "that's not me" when I go on stage. I don't think it's that I really separate "Megan" from whatever character I'm playing, but rather that it's easy to tell myself that. Ultimately for me I think it's a fear of judgement. Anyway, GL w your presentation today! Just speak slowly, clearly, and take a breath if you need to.

Michele, glad you had a nice weekend w your DD and you found a good petsitter to rely on. Also exciting your older DD is getting ready for her service dog to arrive. I do much better in my routine, too. I'm sure those 4 lbs will vanish as you get back into the swing of things this week.

Shannon, great job sticking w the exercise! Good news about DSS. I hope this sticks.

Have a great day everyone. :)

bargoo
10-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Still holding, not quite where I want to be but close.

traveling michele
10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Good luck with the powerpoint Saef! You'll do great.

Thanks for the good thoughts Megan. We have a trader joe's but I rarely go there. I'd love to know the good to get foods as well.

I almost cried this morning. Dh came back home last night at 10 pm. This morning he told me he didn't have to leave until 8 and when I asked why, he reminded me that he was going back out of town. I had totally forgotten. So now he won't be home until Friday night. Sigh....

But 2.5 of the 4 pounds did vanish overnight so I was happy about that. Hopefully with dh out of town for a couple of more days I can focus on eating and exercising.

This weekend will be a major social challenge for us though. Dh and I RARELY have social plans and we have two events this weekend. The first is a Halloween party that we've been to a few times. It is fun and not too much of a challenge food wise. I don't drink so I'll be the dd, and the food provided is never appealing to me so we will probably go out to eat before. Sunday will be a greater challenge, however. We are going to a surprise 50th birthday party. It will be an eclectic group of people-- the birthday boy is a fitness instructor (amongst other things) and that is where we all know him from-- the gym. So, I don't know most of the people well-- they are "gym" friends-- the kind you talk to at the gym but not really outside the gym. The food will be a minefield-- it is a lunchtime party-- lasagna, caesar salad, garlic bread, etc. I will have to just eat small portions. Dh and I are going to make/bring hummus with chips and veggies, and a delish bruschetta that he makes.

alinnell
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Some of the things I like at Trader Joe's:

produce (way less expensive and much fresher!)
eggs (at least a dollar per dozen less than regular stores and so fresh)
cottage cheese (really good!)
Canadian bacon (only 30 calories per slice)
cheese (OMG cheese! such a variety!)
nuts and dried fruit for salads
roasted pepper and tomato soup
lemon fizzy water (cheaper than San Pellegrino or others)
champagne and gorgonzola salad dressing

Some of their items are 100% the SAME as normal brands and are so much less expensive. For example, Annie's Raspberry salad dressing and TJ's--they don't even try to mask it as they use the exact same bottle!

Usually I'll shop at TJ's and get everything I possibly can and then go to the grocery store for the odds and ends.

bargoo
10-24-2012, 11:03 AM
And Michele or whom it may concern, if you are strong willed they have a lemon ginger snap ice cream that is to die for.
If you are a working person and need something for lunch they have ready made salads that are delicious, I love the Gazpacho and it is only one serving so handy for lunch
Bananas are cheaper than any supermarket I regularly go to.
Don't look for major brands because they don't carry any or just a few.
It is also fun to read there ad even if you don't want to buy anything.

alinnell
10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
It is also fun to read there ad even if you don't want to buy anything.

The Fearless Flyer!

Also, frozen Irish Cut Oatmeal. Kind of large serving, but if you're in a hurry, it's perfect.

paperclippy
10-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Well I've got 3 days exercise down so far for the week, just one more to go. It has to be tomorrow because a friend of mine is coming into town for the weekend. Only minimal junk food consumption so far this week (two cookies on Monday). Last night I made a recipe from our recipes sticky! (Middle Eastern Chicken.)

Shannon, glad that DSS seems to be doing better in school! Of course you should be on the parents list, you're his stepmom (emphasis on the "mom").

Saef, good luck with the PPT. I have to do one at work next Monday to talk about the conference I went to, and one of my coworkers has been going on about how important my talk is and how he's going to invite everyone and their brother. I don't think it's going to measure up to what he thinks.

Michele, :hug: sorry about DH going out of town again.

Megan - I don't shop at TJ's because whenever I go in there I end up buying a huge pile of junk food. No, I don't really need three interesting types of cheese, or mochi ice cream, or exciting apple juice, or interesting bread. :lol:

BillBlueEyes
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Beware the Pumpkin Butter - unbelievably good. Not too many calories itself, but goes so well on a toasted English Muffin. Or two, LOL.

I buy nuts and dried fruits always.
The packaged soups are a treat, also.

Shannon in ATL
10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh I love Trader Joe's... Love it. I can't go in hungry. Or with time to kill. Or without a list. I end up with things like dried chili mango slices and eating the whole bag on the drive home. I do love the frozen brown and jasmine rice - 2 servings per bag, 3 minutes in the microwave. Makes it easy with crock pot meals. They also have a rice medley with brown rice, red rice and barley. Awesome.

Saef - I'm doing a presentation on sexual harassment this week, well today and then all next week. Have to take it on the road to all five of our outlying locations and do it in English and Spanish. I'm a little terrified of the whole process.

saef
10-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks, all, for understanding about the PowerPoint presentation. It went reasonably well, except that I asked for edits at the end from my dept., since the presentation will go out elsewhere, and several dept. members took that to heart and suggested cuts or recombinations. I saw immediately that at least two of those ideas were really good, others not so much. I will do some further work on it as a result, so I suppose that's good.

The difficult part was less talking ex tempore than dealing with the technology of projecting from my laptop up on a screen and sharing with remote workers & branch offices on the network.

Anyway, I am feeling tired with the adrenalin drained out of me, but I need to get home & head off to spin class. I have felt vaguely guilty all day for not going to my usual 6 AM Wednesday class, but I really wanted to ensure getting to work well ahead of time (not trapped in a traffic jam) and getting set up & prepared.

As for Trader Joe's, my boss says she feels it is overrated and there is a cult of Trader Joe's.

One of my coworkers said it's really a great big junk food convenience mart, with a healthy section, which makes people feel like they're not really eating junk food, though they are.

I feel they've got good prices & good quality on some staple food items BUT I compare some of those staples with Whole Foods. Sometimes Trader Joe's has the advantage, sometimes Whole Foods. And sometimes the grocery store does, if it's running a sale. Also, I have found just a few Trader Joe's items sold under other brands at Aldi's, which is owned by the same company, and so I do think there is some brand mystique at work on the populace at large.

Shannon in ATL
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Ah, Aldi is the same company as Trader Joe's? TJ is almost an hour from my house and an Aldi just went in around the corner. I should check it out.

bargoo
10-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I don't see Trader Joe's as a junk food paradise, I rarely buy junk food but I do see candy as all stores do otherwise I just think of it as an interesting and reasonable place to shop but you can't compare it with a modern supermarket as it is no where near the same and Whole Foods is much more expensive we refer to it as Whole Paycheck.

alinnell
10-24-2012, 07:38 PM
We're going to be getting a Whole Foods here in the next year. I'm almost afraid to go! That whole paycheck thing!

I don't buy much junk at any grocery store. But if I do need junk, I don't get it at Trader Joe's. I don't know why.

saef
10-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Bargoo, actually, some staple items from my nearest Whole Foods are comparable in price to the same items at Trader Joe's. At least around here, so maybe it's geographic? (Whole Foods' store brand Greek yogurt and its plain almond butter, for at least two items, and there are others ... I actually wrote down prices for six items on a piece of paper and checked them at both stores. But I may need to do that again, as Whole Foods has been here for a while & may have raised prices from its introductory period.)

I am feeling tense & sick tonight. And laughing at myself, but not in the nicest way. This morning, my biggest worry was doing a PowerPoint presentation. Now my biggest worry is Hurricane Sandy, which, my helpful local news station point out, could potentially make landfall here in this area on Monday, and if so, would be worse than Hurricane Irene.

This is just what I need: Another hurricane wiping out my newly renovated apartment.

I am not sure my apartment complex co-op finances could survive a second disaster.

And our floodwall still exists only in a blueprint. It was going to go up for bids in early December.

I knew my newly constructed and decorated place was too nice-looking now to last. I kept having premonitions of further destruction. They may actually be true.

So I am thinking, I'm at a fork. And that depends on further weather news. I'm at the same place that I was in August 2011.

So, what do I do? Do I say they are overreacting? Or do I make contingency plans, with Penske moving trucks & engaging some safe storage area on high ground?

Last time, if I'd thought they were overreacting (as some of my neighbors did) and dismissed them out of hand, I'd be wrong. Those were the people who found the police banging on their doors at 3 AM & giving them a half-hour to evacuate, and who had to grab what they could. And the water came over the wall an hour later.

While I, who'd "overreacted," like certain other neighbors, was at least already holed up in a crummy motel room, and had secured some belongings with a neighbor. (But I hadn't imagined five feet of water. More like ankle-deep. So I did not save enough.)

I feel so exhausted by the spectre of this -- I just need to go to bed.

Anyway, please all fit something into your prayer list that the storm will NOT come near southern NY & Manhattan or the southern New England coast.

But you know, people prayed for me the last time ... and it did.

I just feel so ... tired ... I half-wish I could just walk away & let fate decide it. But I have to try to save things if this storm really could land on Monday or thereabouts.

JayEll
10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
saef, you will be pretty sure what's going to happen by Friday evening's update. Until then, try not to worry about it. I say this as someone who lives with hurricane possibilities every summer and has had to evacuate a few times just to be certain about safety.

According to the tracking on www.wunderground.com as of tonight, it is not going to do what Irene did. It will stay off the coast and you may not even get any storm surge.

Don't listen to the news reports or the Weather Channel. They only panic people.

saef
10-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Jay, I wish I could be calmer about this, but what am to do when I go to the National Weather Service site regarding my area and read things like this?

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
516 AM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

ANZ345-CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-
261000-
NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-
-
516 AM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR ATLANTIC COASTAL
WATERS...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST
NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

THERE IS INCREASING CONFIDENCE THAT THE TRI-STATE AREA WILL FEEL
THE IMPACTS OF A MAJOR COASTAL STORM LATE THIS WEEKEND INTO EARLY
NEXT WEEK. THIS INCLUDES THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAINFALL...HIGH
WINDS...COASTAL FLOODING...AND BEACH EROSION. THE SPECIFIC IMPACTS
WILL ULTIMATELY DEPEND ON THE EVENTUAL TRACK AND EVOLUTION OF
TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY AS IT INTERACTS WITH A DEEPENING UPPER
LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM APPROACHING THE EAST COAST.

PLEASE REFER TO THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER FOR THE LATEST
FORECASTS ON SANDY...AND MONITOR THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE FORECASTS THROUGHOUT THE WEEK.

BillBlueEyes
10-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Sending supportive thoughts, saef. Hope the reports soon calm down.

JayEll
10-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Those warnings are largely boilerplate prose, saef. They always say the same thing, no matter what the storm.

I'm not suggesting you be cavalier about it, because you can't. You did get flood insurance, so at least you've done that much--right?

What I'm saying is that no one can tell this far out what a major storm is likely to do. This morning's tracking projections show the storm slowing its forward progress, so you're now looking out to Tuesday or Wednesday. If on Saturday morning the tracking shows your home dead center in the track, then it's time to do something. If you're only on the edge of the "cone of uncertainty" by then, then you're probably OK.

I know--I'm trying to be rational while you're freaking out. I really do suggest you ignore the news and weather sites until Friday evening/Saturday morning. Maybe get some Valium? No, really. Call your doc.

saef
10-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Jay, thanks, I do appreciate some kind of voice of reason and experience.

And yes, even regarding the recommendation of some Valium, which I am taking quite seriously.

A Tuesday landfall of the storm is better than Monday, as that gives me more time to make contingency plans.

Yes, I've got flood insurance now.

Also, I can plan better, as I've got a better idea of how bad it can be, and won't figure that things off the floor are safe.

I hardly slept last night, and had terrible dreams, those realistic ones that are actually conceivable. I got sick in the night, too. But I've come back from a bout of cardio, which is somehow reassuring. At least I've got me, inside my body, and I can get my body the heck out of the way. It's my belongings & home that I feel heartsick about.

saef
10-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Thinking of Gary, our much-loved EZMONEY, and reminding myself not to focus so much on my own problems.

I am wishing him the best through his chemo treatments.

bargoo
10-25-2012, 08:59 AM
saef, I have not been through what you have been through but certainly can understand your concern. We recently had tornado warnings a little bit north of here and yes it did hit and did some damage, I don't know how much. While I haven't had the problems that weather can bring, I have had news in other areas of my life that are not so good, after I got over the initial shock I decided, "well, it's here , what are you going to do about it?" That still is my attitude, you know, that tired old phrase "make the best of it." It works for me. I think you have done just a remarkable job of coping with disaster, and I pray that you don't have to go through it again. You say people prayed for you last time and you were still hit by the storm and subsequent damage, but in my opinion , even though stressful and I am sure costly, you are able to return to your apartment, it was salvageable and you were not physically hurt, I look at that as answer to prayer.

Megan1982
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Another day, another dollar here. I'm going to my office in the city for my monthly visit tomorrow, so the most exciting thing going on is to plan my grocery list and what tasty, healthy things to make this weekend. I'm a bit sad a bunch of my friends are headed out of town to celebrate a birthday for a long weekend. I know it will be a blast, but the idea of my going out of town right now is just silly. I have way to much to take care of here, and BF and I are saving for our trip to San Diego in December. I will feel better well rested, well exercised, and with a few more pressing things checked off my "to do" list. I'll drop a little gift package off to her today, though.

When I visit my DS I do usually buy some nuts at TJ's, and I like the taste & price of their organic store brand peanut butter. You guys are right about the possibility of buying a lot of junk, too! There are some things - like their store brand, reasonably priced Greek & regular yogurts - that I gaze longingly at but are impractical to buy when I'm 1500 miles from home. I'm sure I'll find some good things, but need to keep the same blinders on and read labels for junk food like a do in any other store. Actually the city is getting a Whole Foods, too.

Jay is giving you sound advice, Saef. Since the first two years I lived in FL were really bad hurricane seasons, I tend to worry, worry, worry about the storms, too, and understand how hard it is to tell oneself to stop worrying. I've learned that forecast cones this many days out are bound to change, often significantly. It's hard to make myself believe it, but I try to remind myself that worrying is not a very productive emotion. Come up with a plan to put into action on Saturday-Sunday if the storm looks like it's coming to you at that point. Go to the gym and work off some stress with the weights and cardio, take a yoga class. And the valium and making sure you're stocked up on your antidepressants is not uncalled for, either. Oh, and Jay's also right, don't watch the weather channel. Jim Cantore lives for storms, and they looove to play that dramatic music. It doesn't help anyone, except maybe Jim Cantore. Hang in there. :hug:

Has anyone heard from Gary about how he's doing?

Allison, how is kitty doing? Any progress on your tickets?

Michelle, sorry DH is leaving again.

alinnell
10-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh, saef~I'm so sorry! Prayers that the stupid storm stays away from you.

Gary sent me a message on Facebook yesterday as he sat watching his third round of chemo drip into his system. He's doing well. The tumor is shrinking and he's able to eat solid food again. The first round of chemo really threw him for a loop. He got thrush and couldn't eat or drink for days and days and got quite dehydrated. The second round was better (and he was more prepared for it).

Cully is quite suspicious of us now, but he's got quite the appetite. DH snapped a photo of him watching his mother eat some of the food we put out for her. I'd like to be able to follow her to see where her kittens are, but I'm sure she had them across the street where I have no access.

bargoo
10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
How quickly we forget ! I have survived a 7.1 earthquake, very scary but I only had minor damage at my home and office, others were not so lucky. With earthquakes you have aftershocks and they cause a lot of fear, too. I guess, saef, be as prepared as you can be, I won't tell you not to worry, of course you will worry. I believe you are a much stronger person, now than you were before the flood that destroyed so much.

traveling michele
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Saef-- I haven't been watching the news so I had no idea of the impending storm. I will say a powerful prayer for you.

I was having a rough morning but you (and thinking of Gary) put it in perspective. I was worried about dh last night as I couldn't reach him so I didn't sleep well at all. He texted me this morning that he was sick last night and went to bed which is what I thought-- he was wiped out and exhausted from traveling and doing so much for our girls. Then when I went downstairs to start my morning routine-- something tripped with the breakers??? Anyway, nothing would work-- the microwave, the coffee pot, the tea kettle.... so I took Dewey out for his business and he wouldn't go because the grass was wet and it was lightly raining. I then spent the next 30 minutes in and out of the garage with the circuit breakers, in and out of the house with Dewey (he finally peed), but no luck with the appliances. I also now have a bad headache. So, off to Starbucks for breakfast and I'll look at everything again tonight. None of the circuits were off so I don't know what else to do. I bought ingredients to make a crock pot chili for tomorrow but that may be on hold if I can't get the plugs to work.

On the plus side, my extra 4 pounds is off. Hooray! I am a firm believer that if you get right back to your program, sometimes the extra weight doesn't "stick". Now not to get derailed by my lack of kitchen appliances.

Also, last night when I came home the fire detector was going off. Dewey was hiding from the horrible noise. Not sure what is up at my house. I had been cooking a baked potato and it was a little burned, but not sure that would set it off.

Allison-- I've never heard of clipping the kitties ears but it does make sense.

I got the cutest letter from our pet sitter-- she wrote it from my Great Dane's voice. I love her-- read if you're interested!

Dear Mom & Dad,
Both Dewey and I were really sad to see you leave, suitcases and all…we knew that meant you
weren’t coming back for a while. We were both really surprised when we heard the front door
open, so we immediately charged over towards the door while barking as ferociously as we
could.
Turns out it was just Heather so our ferocious barks quickly turned into excited whines. I
couldn’t contain my excitement and began dancing around Heather, then would push my entire
body into her to ensure I was the center of her attention. Dewey tried to steal the spotlight
from me by jumping up on her, but every time she leaned down to pet him I would shove my
head right in the middle of it all so she couldn’t get to him.
We headed outside to “go hurry” and spent lots of time romping around together. I ran off to
go to the bathroom while Dewey hung back by Heather to soak up as much love and attention
as he could. After my business was complete, an overwhelming amount of playfulness came
over me and I started running around the backyard. The playfulness got a hold of Dewey as
well and he went into total crazy mode and ran circles around the entire backyard. Heather
couldn’t stop laughing and wouldn’t stop talking about how cute he was so I had to distract
her by my cuteness. I did what I do best…lean my entire body into her so she couldn’t help but
focus on me (works every time).
After lotsof pets and playtime we headed out for our walk. I tried putting up a bit of a fight
when it came time to put on my gentle leader. Any time Heather would come towards me with
that awful thing I would immediately put my head down. Despite my best efforts, Heather still
managed to put the head collar on me.
As soon as she opened the door we both bolted out as fast as we could. We were so eager to
get outside and let the sniffing begin! Heather wasn’t happy about our desire to pull her in
whatever direction we wanted to go, so she made us sit on the porch and relax before we
could move along. It took several attempts, but we eventually caught on.
We tried testing our limits the first few minutes, but we quickly realized that Heather wasn’t
going to let us get away with much. She did allow us to walk in front of her, but we had to
make sure not to pull or else she would make us sit and wait for her command to keep moving.
After our first walk we got a lot of praise from her because we behaved so well. We passed
lots of other dogs and we ignored every one of them…except for the one who was trying to
lunge at us…that was really hard to ignore.
After our walk we relaxed on our beds as Heather spent time with Charlotte and Wilbur. I’m
assuming she enjoyed her time with them because I kept hearing her say how affectionate and
sweet they were. Plus, she spent about 30 minutes up there with them. I’m not gonna lie, I was
a little jealous with all the attention they were getting, but I was happy to know they were
getting the love they deserve.
When Heather came back the next time, both Dewey and I were sleeping soundly – I was on the
ottoman and Dewey was on his beanbag. Heather immediately noticed the Dachshund sized
imprint on the back of the couch in the front room. The plastic guard looked untouched, but
he clearly forgot to fluff up the pillows before jumping down.
We went through the same routine as before, only this visit included food! YAY! We were SO
excited when she picked up our bowls and headed towards the front closet. I waited patiently
outside while Dewey trailed behind her, bouncing up and down the entire way. After Heather
set my food dish in front of me I would always look up at her and wait for her command before
I started to chow down. Dewey, on the other hand, didn’t waste any time and gobbled up the
food as fast as he could.
The cats were always really eager to eat too. They would usually wait on the stairs and meow
until Heather picked up on their demands and fed them. Wilbur was usually the first one to
the bowl, whereas Charlotte would hang back for more pets from Heather.
Not that this will come as a shock, but we were perfect on the walk. Even though we are really
eager to get out the door, we don’t pull throughout the walk and we listen to Heather’s
commands really well. Dewey would have a few moments throughout the walk where he’d get a
burst of energy and run forward as fast as he could, but he would only go as far as the leash
would let him. I have to say, it was quite silly to watch.
In addition to our fun neighborhood walks, Heather also brought us to the Bark and Ride Park
a few times for some off leash fun. I did great on the car ride over to the park…Dewey had to
wear his seatbelt, but still managed to get himself all tangled up. He hated being away from me;
even though I was just one seat away he still whined the entire time.
Once we got to the park we were both so happy to be off leash with tons of room to roam. We
immediately started sniffing and marking our territory everywhere. Once we felt the park was
officially ours, we got down to business and started to play. I had fun romping around with
Heather while Dewey just ran in circles around us. We played fetch; although Dewey had me
beat by a long haul…he’s just so much faster than I am so it made it difficult to keep up.
After a long visit to the park we headed back home…time for a nap! We were always sad to see
Heather go, but she reassured us that she’d be back soon so it made us feel a little better.
Each visit with Heather was always so much fun. Whether it was a trip to the park or a
neighborhood walk, we always came home exhausted and ready for a nap.
As sad as we were to see you go, I must say, we did have a lot of fun with Heather while you
were away. Thanks for entrusting Heather to care for all of us…you guys are the best!  Not
that I want to see y’all leave again, I will say, I really will miss spending time with her. I hope we
get to see her again soon.
Love,
Jozi

bargoo
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
michele, when I have trouble with appliances or lights or whatever not working I go to my circuit breaker and flip EVERYTHING OFF and immediately On again, this usually takes care of the problem. Since I don't know which one is at fault this procedure will take care of the offending one, by default I guess.
Loved the letter from Jozi, I think Heather might have a career as a writer.

saef
10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Michele, sounds like maybe your pet sitter is using her day job to fund her creative writing.

Thanks for the good wishes, all -- and particularly for the news of Gary from you, Allison. Sounds as though he's been through a rough patch. How I miss his posts on this forum. But he needs above all to conserve his strength, since his body is a battlefield just now due to chemo.

Bargoo, how is your own chemo going? You mentioned heading out for a treatment so very briefly in a post a few weeks back -- so briefly that I thought I'd imagined the written words. I am never sure whether to address the issue when I write back to you, as you may not wish to talk about it here. But of course I am wishing you well. An earthquake is not the only thing you have dealt with. I need to quit my whining about PowerPoint & etc.

Megan1982
10-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Michele, are the smoke detectors in your house wired together/wired into the electrical system or are they stand-alone, individual batteries? If they are wired into the house I would think that plus your appliances not having power could be indicative of a bigger wiring issue, but if not it may just be coincidence. (In a house I used to live in the smoke detectors had supposedly been disconnected from each other but this just wasn't true! They would chirp all the time, and it was a cascade effect. Such a PITA.) Sometimes outlets themselves have a circuit breaker that you reset on the outlet. I've seen this in bathroom and kitchen outlets. But yes, resetting the main circuit might help, or first try all the kitchen circuits if your box is well labeled. Sometimes it's hard to see that a breaker's been tripped. Cute letter from Jozi. Sounds like you found a great petsitter, Michele!

Allison, thanks for the update on Gary. It sounds like he's having a rough time but good to hear the tumor is shrinking. I'm sending him all my good thoughts, as well as hopes that Sandy will veer away from Saef and others as she moves through the Atlantic.

bargoo
10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
saef, you can ask me anything you want about my cancer, I usually don't talk about it much as I know it gets to be a bore for others to hear. I also feel that I must be some kind of a crybaby to complain. I am described as not curable but treatable. what I am experiencing is nothing compared to Gary, I have googled esophagal cancer, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Gary, if you are lurking, remember I keep you in prayer, always.

JayEll
10-25-2012, 03:03 PM
bargoo--Loma Prieta quake?

Megan1982--2004 and 2005?

Interestingly, I experience both that quake (was down in Cupertino) and those two years of one hurricane after another in Fla. Hm, you probably don't want to move with me...

bargoo
10-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Interestingly, I experience both that quake (was down in Cupertino) and those two years of one hurricane after another in Fla. Hm, you probably don't want to move with me...

Yep ! You guessed the quake. Did you live in Cupertino at one time ?

JayEll
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I lived in SF--worked in Cupertino. Was just getting on I-280 when the quake hit.

Megan1982
10-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Yup! I think 2004 was the year 3 (4?) criss-crossed the FL peninsula (I know you'll remember that!) and 2005 was the year of Ivan and Dennis, which flooded my office (2' up the walls) and displaced us for a year. Those of us who worked in the office ripped up moldy carpet and threw out molding files and equipment ourselves, and the septic system had failed, too. It's not an experience I'd care to repeat but I can't even imagine what it must be like to do that in one's home. At least this was just an office, and we had the money to replace the equipment we lost.

alinnell
10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
I survived the twin quakes in 1991--Landers quake and Big Bear. I believe one of them was a 7.4. Scared the bejeebers out of us, but no damage at all.

Getting close to making a huge announcement!

traveling michele
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM

What is it?????
I love surprises but I'm no good at waiting for them!

bargoo
10-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I survived the twin quakes in 1991--Landers quake and Big Bear. I believe one of them was a 7.4. Scared the bejeebers out of us, but no damage at all.

Let me guess......you are pregnant !
No, you bought new property for your business !

bargoo
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
I lived in SF--worked in Cupertino. Was just getting on I-280 when the quake hit.

I was at work in my office in Mountain View , we were just starting to balance.We immediately lost power, I could not set alarms but told the staff, lock everything in the vault and let's get the heck out of here. My car was parked in an underground parking garage it took all my nerve to go down there but I also wanted to get out of there.
Difference between a hurricane and an earthquake, you get some warning that a hurricane is coming but no warning at all for an earthquake.

alinnell
10-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Does anyone remember a website where you could cut and paste a recipe, cite the number of servings and hit a button and have it give you all the nutritional information? It wasn't perfect--didn't recognize some items, but pretty good overall. The ones I found today (my sister was looking) were a bit more time consuming in that you had to look up each ingredient and then state the amount. In the end, the four sites I found all were within a degree of each other, so they work, but they took so much extra time.

Thanks!!

Megan1982
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Morning all,

TGIF though I've got a long to-do list this weekend of play-related tasks. I woke up at 5:45 this morning to get to the city in time for the PhD thesis defense of a student who I helped collect her field samples. It was a little shaky and the questions I had about her study - she only sampled once at each sight, no duplicates - were brought up at her defense (in science you always duplicate!). We'll see... Later I have to go and talk to my big boss about developing a new task he wants me to do and I find him intimidating, so wish me luck.

Allison, I usually use sparkpeople to figure out the calories in a new recipe, but you have to enter each ingredient separately. It is alright but if you do find a website like the one you described, let me know! You're killing me now... what's your announcement?

Saef, I'm keeping my eye on Sandy and thinking of you. We're feeling her wind effects all weekend but that's really not a big deal.

What are people's weekend plans? I hope to get to relax a bit w BF in addition to working on things for my play. The publicity parts need to get done now if they're going to get out in time before the play, so I need to get on them!

alinnell
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
DH and I are leaving in a couple of hours to fly to Phoenix for the Phoenix Jazz festival. We begin with a late lunch of pizza at a restaurant we all like, but is new to her neighborhood. If anyone ever goes to Phoenix, you should check out one of the Postino restaurants.

I feel bad leaving DS home alone for the weekend. Well, not entirely alone. He'll have the dogs and cats! My in-laws will get together with him on Sunday as usual and MIL will fix dinner or they'll take him out. Not sure yet if they're going to come to our house or invite him to their RV.

My in-laws had to put their 16 year old cat down last summer and they went last weekend to an adoption event for a new kitten or cat but didn't find one that "clicked." In discussing it later they said that they had never picked out their own cats--they were all either given to them or found. Most of them were due to my SIL. She's bad. Gets a cat or kitten and months later decides she's allergic so give them to my in-laws. Their latest cat was chosen by her for them. She had two litter-mates. Don't know what happened to the litter-mates but suffice it to say I don't think they fared well. Anyway, I showed them a set of two brothers that are about 4 months old that they might like. I think they're going to go to that shelter today or tomorrow. If they do get a kitten or two, chances are they'll have DS go to their place.

traveling michele
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Have fun in Phoenix Allison!!
We found some yummy restaurants there too. I'm sure the Jazz festival will be a blast and their weather has cooled off considerably now.
Also, good luck to your in-laws in finding a kitty cat!!

Shannon in ATL
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Allison - is it this calorie count (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php) link that you are looking for?

paperclippy
10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I remember those double earthquakes, Allison, although I was far enough away from them that they weren't too bad by us. Whenever I hear "earthquake" I will always think of the 1994 Northridge quake, which had its epicenter six miles from my parents' house (I was 11 years old at the time).

Shannon beat me to the punch, I was going to link to the same website. It's always the one I use for recipe calculations.

Have fun in Phoenix, Allison!

Megan, good luck with your new task at work!

One of my best friends from college is flying into town this afternoon to spend the weekend. :D We're planning on going to the art museum and a haunted house, plus doing the midwestern activity of pumpkin patch + corn maze. Should be fun!

I am proud of myself, I picked up a big fat cookie after lunch and nibbled some of it, but just now I threw the rest (about 2/3 of it) in the trash. Not worth the calories. I didn't quite make my 4 days of exercise though -- yesterday I started feeling really crappy right around my available time to work out, so I ended up just going for a walk instead of doing pilates. At least I did something other than sit at my desk.

saef
10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Just checking in to say that, though I am still not at my best, I have formulated a plan & it's coming together.

Help is arriving, in the form of a guy with a truck who can move the stuff and take it to a storage facility.

And my mother with her minivan & a lot of boxes.

I can't save my apartment, but I can try to save nearly all of its contents.

Also weather reports don't reassure me, because it does NOT have to be a Category 1 storm centered on southern NY to do catastrophic damage. There just needs to be enough rain falling during a short period of time for the parkway that runs alongside my apartment to flood & overspill its retainer wall, which then fills up the lower, almost dish-shaped grounds of my apartment complex. That's generally quite a lot of rain, but a storm like this would be enough to do it without any howling winds required.

bargoo
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
saef, congratulations on getting a plan in place, I'm hoping it won't be necessary, but you are showing a lot of wisdom during this time.

JayEll
10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Do what you have to do, saef. Let's hope it all comes to not much.

Shannon in ATL
10-26-2012, 04:45 PM
My thoughts are with you, Saef. When do you have to decide whether or not to move things? Or are you going to go ahead and do it just in case?

saef
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Shannon, I am packing up to move anyway. So is my neighbor on the left. Another neighbor said she's just letting her stuff go because the cost of the deductible equals the cost of getting a van & movers & storage & etc.

Now taking a brief break after filling up several boxes. The guys haven't showed up yet to work out the volume of the furniture to determine the size van I'll need, which is worrisome.

Also I'm cooking a bit of a feast from the freezer, using up the crab legs, because if the power goes out for a long time or the flood hits, what a waste.

bargoo
10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
saef, I know you to be a very thorough person but just in case here are a few thoughts......do you have a full tank of gas in your car ? Cash from the ATM in case of a power outage, bottled water, flashlights and batteries. I don't want to sound like the voice of doom but it wouldn't hurt to take these steps even if the storm never happens and for your sake I hope it doesn't.

JayEll
10-27-2012, 10:32 AM
I see that Sandy is probably going ashore around Delaware Bay.

I can see why you are evacuating, saef, given recent history--but it is no way to live. Later, after this is over, you may want to consider selling your condo and moving someplace where you're not feeling like heavy rain requires packing and moving your home. It may be that you'll always be afraid of a flood, living there.

Best of luck. I hope that nothing happens to your place.

bargoo
10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I see that Sandy is probably going ashore around Delaware Bay.

I can see why you are evacuating, saef, given recent history--but it is no way to live. Later, after this is over, you may want to consider selling your condo and moving someplace where you're not feeling like heavy rain requires packing and moving your home. It may be that you'll always be afraid of a flood, living there.

Best of luck. I hope that nothing happens to your place.

That would be my thought, too, but don't be in a hurry about the decision, I would recommend thinking about it seriously in the spring.

Megan1982
10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Saef, I don't know exactly what to say. Hang in there doesn't seem appropriate. But know I'm thinking of you as the storm moves up the coast, and good luck packing up. I do hope nothing happens to you or your place but at least you're taking steps to protect the antiques that you love. :hug:

My parents are about 1 hour north of NYC and are also preparing for the storm, though for them the threat is power outage or wind damage. I talked to my Dad last night and he says his school (boarding school) is sending the kids home today in preparation for the storm, as their area is prone to long power outages. My DS didn't seem that concerned about their place outside of DC, but I'm sure her husband is thinking about it today.

saef
10-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Checking in briefly, sitting cross-legged on the floor of my empty living room.

I got my storage space down in the Bronx, the movers have come & gone, and we've nearly stripped my apartment bare. There is still the annoyance of all the clothes on hangers in the closet, and like many former morbidly obese women who managed to work down to normal weight, I have way, way too many clothes, even after the last flood.

We even have the luxury of moving canned & boxed foods, if we wish.

The scenes here at my apartment complex are memorable. Upstairs neighbors are emptying out their ground floor storage bins of photo albums, bicycles, strollers, good china in boxes, spare dressers.

They have taken in some fragile and small things for me. One up on the fourth floor has my lamps. Another has a carved Federal work table with eagle feet, made in Manhattan sometime in the 1820s. Another has an octogon-shaped Victorian footstool with an embroidered cushion. And still another has an Art Nouveau folding screen, three small tilt-top tables, a papier-mache chair, and that carved clock that I posted a a picture of here when I bought it back in January.

I love my neighbors.

I love the board member who also lives on the ground floor. The board just approved the blueprints for the long-planned flood wall. It's supposed to go out for bids through the coming weeks.

Too late.

How I wish they'd somehow funded the floodwall simultaneously with the apartment renovations. But we had so many studies done and so much lobbying and then the drawing of plans & the soil samples.

Anyway, no matter. This place is pretty clear now. I must sleep here tonight on top of a pile of Oriental carpets but I'll have a hotel room tomorrow for the storm's duration. I think. The weather news is all over the place. But we don't need the full brunt of the storm to flood here, as I explained earlier. And all the actions of responsible people around me are validating my decisions. I will hate to have overreacted but to do nothing is unthinkable.

bargoo
10-28-2012, 08:39 AM
saef, thinking about you today and praying that Sandy avoids your area completely. I don't think you are overreacting rather you are being wise. I hope and pray that this this the last time you have to go through this.

traveling michele
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Praying for you Saef. I will be praying hard and I'm so sorry you are going through this again. I need to check in with my east coast relatives too.

EZMONEY
10-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't come here much anymore but with Sandy heading your way I was wondering how Saef was doing. You are in my prayers dear :-)

Shannon in ATL
10-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Also thinking of you today, Saef. I'm glad that you have secured your things, take care of yourself.

BillBlueEyes
10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Sending supportive thoughts, saef. May the water avoid your local depression.

saef
10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks all, for the good wishes.

I'm writing from the Ramada Inn, where we just checked in under gray skies and a wind that you can feel. We've emptied out my apartment of as much stuff as we could.

One worrisome thing: We've been so busy with moving that we have no provisions for the hotel room, so we're headed out to get something.

I don't know what will happen at the apartment complex. When I left, people were still moving out things and U-Hauls were parked out in back.

The weather forecast changes so much ... and as usual, I'm annoyed that our local news isn't very local. What's going on in NJ, where the landfall is predicted, is different from what's going on in my part of NY State, where we'll be hit in a different way.

But my stuff is safe, I am in a motel on top of a hill with my mother, and we both feel well but watchful.

EZ, I am so glad to hear from you. I'm glad to hear from everyone, but I've been thinking of Gary in particular over the past few days and was just discussing how much I've missed your posts on this forum.