Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default Is 4 ounces of tuna (1 can) enough for dinner?

I was going to have tuna salad with WF mayo for dinner - one can is 4 ounces - is that enough or should I also have an egg?

I could also stir fry some veggies with a couple of egg whites - would that add enough protein?

Thanks.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #2  
Back for a tweak

Or could I have tuna + another IP packet? That might work better if allowed cause we are going to a party tonight that starts at 5:00 so I need to have all my IP in by then - if I could have a shake I could take it with me and have it on the drive there.

Hmmm not sure what to do - any ideas?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I would add a hard boiled egg to your tuna salad! Yummy and ups the protein.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  
Back for a tweak

Really? Tuna and egg together?? Never would have thought that would work!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #5  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

If you drain the tuna and weigh it, it's less than 3oz of actual tuna meat. About 2.6 oz I think. I use either 2 cans or 1 can plus 1 egg and 1 egg white. A great tuna meal is to mix in mustard, sea salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a touch of cayenne pepper for zing (totally personal preference here-i collect hot sauce so I use habanero, etc!! lol), 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, and mix well. I serve it with 1 cup of cucumber slices. Kinda makes me think I'm having tuna and crackers! LOL
Hope this helps!
Ken
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #6  

I have added hard boiled eggs to tuna salad for years! That is how my grandma made it for me. I love it.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
I was going to have tuna salad with WF mayo for dinner - one can is 4 ounces - is that enough or should I also have an egg?
What matters is you get the requisite protein for the day ingested. When you get it doesn't matter.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileheadKen View Post
If you drain the tuna and weigh it, it's less than 3oz of actual tuna meat. About 2.6 oz I think. I use either 2 cans or 1 can plus 1 egg and 1 egg white. A great tuna meal is to mix in mustard, sea salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a touch of cayenne pepper for zing (totally personal preference here-i collect hot sauce so I use habanero, etc!! lol), 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, and mix well. I serve it with 1 cup of cucumber slices. Kinda makes me think I'm having tuna and crackers! LOL
Hope this helps!
Ken
GREAT RECIPE! I never thought about using cucumbers. I used to like it with club crackers and I miss that. I am definitely going to try the cucumber slices.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #9  
Back for a tweak

Thanks again everyone. You guys rock - I will have egg and tuna salad using your recipes! THANKS!!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
Really? Tuna and egg together?? Never would have thought that would work!

Actually tuna and eggs go together quite well, and you can find many recipes online that include the two ingredients (just google tuna and egg recipes).

Probably the most well-known of these recipes are tuna salad (with boiled egg, which is incredibly common in the midwest, whether at a potluck or a restaurant salad bar) and salad Nicoise (a cold chef salad with tuna, boiled eggs, green beans, potatoes)...

... but you'll also find the two combined in other dishes from tuna omelettes to tuna casseroles (my grandmother always chopped boiled egg into her tuna noode - or chicken noodle casseroles to stretch the protein even further, because while tuna was cheap, eggs were cheaper).

My italian grandmother (the other grandmother) and her family also made an antipasta for potlucks that contained tuna, boiled eggs, some type of pepperoni or salami, onion, olives, in a vinaigrette that contained tomato paste (so it looked like a huge mess in tomato sauce). I refused to eat it as a kid, because it "looked gross," but the adults all seemed to enjoy it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/157.3/135

Height: 5'2

Tuna on cucumbers sounds good! Will have to try it that way. Btw I love hb egg in my tuna
RachelDinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #12  
Back for a tweak

I made them tuna/egg salad - diced some red pepper, onion and cucumber; mixed it with onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper and WF mayo and mustard. I still found it a little too "fishy" - maybe I needed more mayo. I liked the egg salad I made yesterday way better.

And WOW does it ever make a ginormous amount!! I had a really hard time finishing it - it took me almost an hour! I think next time I'll split it up and have some for lunch and dinner.

But thanks for the tip on adding the egg!!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #13  

Location: Washington DC - or wheverever American Airlines is taking me at the moment!

Height: 5'6"

Be sure to check out FinnSteven's "Seafood patties" as well for a fabulous use for tuna -- that's been my go-to dinner for months and works beautifully in a pinch when nothing's defrosted, etc.

FWIW, I have always used 2 5oz cans of tuna for my evening protein - I drained and then weighed the actual tuna and it comes to about 7oz of fish.
GloverParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #14  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloverParker View Post
Be sure to check out FinnSteven's "Seafood patties" as well for a fabulous use for tuna -- that's been my go-to dinner for months and works beautifully in a pinch when nothing's defrosted, etc.

FWIW, I have always used 2 5oz cans of tuna for my evening protein - I drained and then weighed the actual tuna and it comes to about 7oz of fish.
OMG it took me almost an hour to eat it with one can!! It was a huge bowl of salad! How you did 2 I have no idea! YIKES!!

Yes FS's tuna patties are on my list of things to try. It's funny - I eat the chicken patties but don't like them much and I think they turned me off the patty idea but the tuna ones are probably way better.