Weight Loss Support - What do you consider "fat"?

View Full Version : What do you consider "fat"?

Missy Krissy
10-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Some time ago one of my friends asked this question on facebook: what do you consider to be fat? It gave me a lot to think about, and I was surprised at other people's preceptions. Many of them considered what I had thought to be healthy, "fat". After reflecting on the topic, I realized that I was in denial about by weight and that I actually agreed with them, which made me fat by my own definition.

So I pose it to you: at what point is someone (or yourself) fat?

Missy Krissy
10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
My answer: size 12. I know this will vary for others depending on body size, height, etc.

PrincessAmy
10-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Well i think 130 is skinny which i knpw a lot of people dont think so...140-160 the good kinda thick 170-190 getting chunky and anything above 190 fat but just bc you might be that weight you might not look fat...so really it just all depends..like you said...height..shape..all that.

bargoo
10-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I am short so if I am overweight I am fat. A healthy range for me is 101-127, 101 is way to low, but 127 while many would consider that to be a good weight on my short, small boned frame I am fat at 127 and better star doing something about it.

tubolard
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
This is only based on me and my body.
I am fat when I can't do regular everyday things comfortably. If I can't walk up the stairs without huffing and puffing - fat. If I can't bend over without my waistband cutting me in half and my fat crushing my chest so that I have to hold my breath - fat. If in order to, um, groom myself "there" I have to hold up my fupa and hold my breath - fat. If i have to almost grease my jeans to get them to go over my hips - fat. There are more but i think this is enough, lol. I know there are lots of people who are heavy and can run marathons and do everything with ease, but I can't so these are my points of being fat for me.

novangel
10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
When noticeable muffin top occurs or when you put on jeans, bend over and your eyes feel like they may blow out of the sockets. That's my cue to put down the fork.

LockItUp
10-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I think this is a dangerous topic.

I don't measure other people's level of fatness or non-fatness.

For myself, I don't know. I think I'm still fat now, yet I would never in a million years look at another person my height, weight, and pant size and think they were fat. How messed up is that.

Kery
10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I have absolutely no idea. It totally depends on body type, on height, on muscle mass, on personal standards...

At 1m57 and 54ish kgs, and coming down from 79-80 kgs, I consider myself as pretty normal and not fat (if not exactly "thin" either). But if your ideal female body type is 1m70 for 45 kgs, then I'm a huge lump of fat.

LeilaJey
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
This is really difficult to answer as different people who are the same height can look drastically different at different weights depending on muscle and frame size in general. I'd be wary of choosing a number and saying 'xlbs is fat!' and offending somebody or just making them feel bad about themselves.

I don't think I'm fat any more if I'm honest but I still have excess fat that I want to lose.

There are also plus size models who are size 12+ who don't look fat at all because they're tall and bigger in general.

Elladorine
10-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I think this is a dangerous topic.

I don't measure other people's level of fatness or non-fatness.
I agree, it's likely a dangerous topic. And it's all relative.

I think it's ok to define standards for ourselves as long as health is the priority (both physically and mentally), but not to project any such standards upon others. You can't just run around and tell someone else that 150 pounds is too fat, or that a size 14 is too fat, or that wearing a size 8 ring is too fat. I mean, I'm not a doctor, so who am I to say? Too many people use perception of weight as a status quo, as a way to judge others. And I believe that as long as we keep trying to define what "too fat" is outside of a health concern, we're stepping over the line.

summerlove
10-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Only speaking for myself, since my weight yo-yo's so much (not others):

I consider myself "fat" when I begin to develop a double chin and have love handles on my lower back (even when I'm not wearing pants).

sacha
10-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Agreed, dangerous topic.

But I will say this - my definition of "fat" has certainly changed as I have gotten older. It is utterly shocking how much pressure I put on myself when younger. And I'm sure most people here would agree with that.

JohnP
10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Not to be a wierdo stickler but the word "fat" doesn't mean anything to me personally.

I like to think in terms of body fat percentage and catagorize things as below normal, normal, over weight, obsese and morbidly obese.

Arctic Mama
10-19-2012, 01:10 PM
This is SO individual. And most people have no clue, besides their own body and measurements, what the actual dimension s of someone else are. I've been considered healthy and quite attractive at a weight the same person would say is fat, because my body composition and measurements differ from their litmus as the same weight.

So I really try not to get into justifying, measuring, and eyeballing other people if I can at all help it, because too many factors beyond just weight determine whether someone is fat, and quite frankly it is their health and happiness that matters more than their size!

So for ME, I can answer that my start weight was unbearably obese - when I was in the prime of my life (21!) and got tired going up stairs, couldn't easily get down to play with my kids, let alone get back up. Where nothing I put on, no matter how expensive or elegant, looked good. My fat as inescapable and no angle I turned my head could hide it from me anymore. At my height then, of 5'2", with a broad but not overly dense frame, 260-ish pounds was morbidly obese in both appearance and BMI. That didn't make me ugly, a bad person, or even miserable from day to day, but it did become a stumbling block to me serving my family rightly, and I was convicted that I needed to fix it.

My original goal is what I remember 'not fat' being. Back when I was in highschool I was 160-165 and though I got called fat by a few rude boys, I was healthy, active, and considered quite lovely by many others (including myself - I didn't mind looking in the mirror). And it was a good litmus - when I got down to 163 right before this pregnancy most of my excess torso fat was gone - back and neck fat, flanks, apron fat, etc. It was reduced enough to give me a normal silhouette and my clothing was firmly a size 12/medium, except in button up tops (I have still been blessed with broad shoulders and a big chest, regardless of my weight). For me, that was a size that I could consider myself healthy and normal, even if I never lost anther pound. I was fit, looked good, and felt even better.

I ended up lowering my goal because once I got there I could see that additional fat could and should be lost from my body. There was a lot more work that could be done to improve my shape without too much difficulty in maintaining it. So I lowered the goal twenty to forty pounds, intent on stopping wherever I looked and felt best without excess daily struggle to stay there. Then iwas richly blessed with a little metabolic bomb called pregnancy and additional fat loss was somewhat stalled out by fatigue, cravings, food aversion, and the occasional bout of ravenous hunger. My goal still stands, but it will have to wait just a bit longer since I'm not quite halfway through this pregnancy. But I'm back on my plan and working off some vacation/fun eating weight, and will be raring to go when this baby is born and I'm breastfeeding. My original self-assessment still stands :)

Missy Krissy
10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Just to clarify, I don't want to offend people or judge or compare bodies. I'm just interested to see how people's perception on "fat" vary. I'll ask that answers are in reference only to your own body and no one else's.

I think it's interesting for some how they can define it by a number (this includes me, for my own body) and others define it by other means.

Thanks for the responses so far!

mom23kids1
10-19-2012, 02:17 PM
What do I consider fat? When my doctor mentioned something ugh, lol. At my last physical my dr. gently pointed out the amount of weight I had gained in a year. And since then I've gained a few more pounds :( I had been in the 140-145lb range for years and years but in the last couple years have inched up to my highest weight of 170lbs. The new added weight, plus elevated sugar numbers made me realize that yep, I'm overweight and it's time to do something about it!

LiannaKole
10-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Other people? No idea.

I mean, "fat" as a term is relative and not clinical (although even clinical weight categories are relative in ways). It can be how you see yourself, or how someone else sees you, or both.

Someone who weighs 300 lbs but started at 560 lbs would not look fat to people who had seen them 260 lbs heavier, nor are they likely to feel very fat.

I am in the overweight category, and I feel fat (not enormous, but not comfortable). But to some people who are larger than me, I'm not fat. To some people who are smaller than me, I am fat. To my relatives who knew me when I was obese, I'm not fat.

So in summation, I have no idea what the term "fat" really means in general. I can only comment on myself and how I feel about myself.

kaplods
10-19-2012, 04:01 PM
The closest word I can think of that has a similar can-of-worms connotation is "old." Who is old, and when is one supposed to "acknowledge" one's oldness.

To a five year old, all adults seem old. When you're 20, old might be 40. "Old" is always someone else, or some time in the future, but not now.

I don't think it really matters at all what we see as "fat" or not. In fact, I think it's a red herring that actually makes weight loss more complicated and difficult. We ask ourselves "am I fat?" rather than "am I as healthy and as fit as I want to be?"

I am fat, and I've been fat most of my life - and for the most part (except for a very brief period in high school on amphetemine diet pills) I've been unarguably fat since kindergarten. Indisputably fat.

I may always be fat, and weirdly enough it's that acknowledgement that has helped me lose weight. In the past, when weight loss would slow, I'd start to think "I'll never be thin, so what's the use of fighting so hard, just to become only a little less fat?"

I've taken fat mostly out of the equation, so if I start to think "I'll never be thin, so what's the use of fighting so hard, just to become only a little less fat?" I remind myself that I'm not "in this" to become thin, I'm in this fight for my life and for my enjoyment of that life. So my answer to myself is "you may not get much thinner, but you can get A LOT more fit and healthy, so until the health improvements stop, there's no point in worrying about fat or lack of it."

It doesn't matter what is or isn't fat. What matters is that every pound counts, every vitamin counts, every bit of exercise and movement counts, every color of vegetable counts.... it all counts towards health, fitness, well-being. Every pound, every ounce counts too, but without all the rest, they count for nothing. Losing the weight at the expense of health and fitness doesn't really gain you anything (so dangerous methods of weight loss often count for less than healthy behaviors without weight loss would have counted).

I think we focus on the "fat" rather than on the functionality. We worry too much about what is fat, and not on being the best we can be without focusing on the end result so much as the next few steps of the journey.

I don't have to worry about what is "fat" at this point (if only because I'm so far into the fat spectrum that few would argue that I'm not fat), but I think even once I get into a more normal range, I'm not so focused on whether or not I'm fat, but on whethere there are health improvements in my diet and exercise that I still want to make. And if I'm "done" and ready for maintenance at 175 lbs or at 125 lbs (and whether I'm "done" temporarily or permanently), is going to be my focus, not on whether or not I'm "fat" by anyone's definition, even my own. I think the functionality is more importent than any adjective.

MedChick87
10-19-2012, 05:09 PM
This takes me back to freshman year of high school. At lunch one day, we were discussing weights and my friend made the comment, "I could never imagine being 150 lbs. That's so much!". Well, at 5'7", I weight about 155 at the time, so needless to say I was embarrassed. However, at 155, I looked pretty darn good. The point is, there's no way to say what general number of pounds makes a person fat. 155 lbs on me is healthy and looks good, while on someone much shorter than me, may not be healthy and will look very different. It's hard to define "fat" in terms of weight or pants size. Usually you can look at someone and tell if they need to lose a few. But even that is extremely subjective.

LandonsBaby
10-19-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure? I am fat now at 136lbs. I was fat at 120lbs. I wasn't fat at 110lbs. I wasn't fat at 85lbs (but did think so at the time). But...I could be 120lbs with a ton of muscle and not be fat, I suppose? I'm just not sure how we can answer the question.

What did people say on facebook?

KittyKatFan
10-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think "fat" or "thin" is tied to a particular clothing size or number on a scale. A size 12 could be worn by someone rather heavy and very short or by a tall, thinner person. Muscle mass makes a big difference too. An athletic woman with lots of muscle mass and looks rather toned may weigh the same as someone who has a lot more flab and poor muscle tone.

Fat or thin is in the eye of the beholder. We all have different standards based on our own histories and the comments and perceptions we get from others. What I may think of as normal weight or slightly overweight may be seen as fat by someone else.

I remember going to a lecture in college. One of the teaching assistants was on stage, and a couple of girls behind me were talking about him. One girl said he was sort of cute, but fat. I took a closer look at him and thought "huh???" He looked normal to me! Maybe slightly stocky, but certainly not fat!

linJber
10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Boy - what a question! Just a week ago I was camping (in a cottage on the lake, not in tents) with a group of friends - all women, 2 of us actively trying to lose or maintain major weight loss, 1 who has always been pretty "normal" in her weight, and 4 who have no desire to lose any weight even though they are way over what is healthy. We range in size from at the top of normal (like me - BMI around 25) to morbidly obese (5'4" tall, 325 pounds.) What struck me as really funny was the comments the cover of a magazine evoked - it had a head shot of Bill Clinton on it. I personally think he looks really good at the weight he is right now. I think he looks healthy and lean. But, the heavier the friend, the worse they thought he looked! The heaviest one of us thought he looked sickly and older. This proves to me it's all WAY more subjective than we think. I found it to be an interesting observation.

Lin

OhThePlaces
10-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't currently consider myself "fat" but I definitely feel that I have extra fat on my body that I want gone. I feel great at 130.

masterptr
10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
I am 5'6" and 1/2
I weighed 155 lbs.
I was fat.

JossFit
10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Like JohnP, I think in terms of bodyfat percentages. I have a personal ideal range for my own bodyfat percentage, and likewise what range I find attractive for both men and women, but I am choosing not to share that.

What does that mean anyway, to "be fat"? We are all fat. We are all bone. We are all skin and hair and cartilidge. I don't see how one can BE fat... it's just one part of everyone's overall makeup. I realize it's semantics, but classifying someone that way has always been a weird irritant for me.

juliastl27
10-20-2012, 01:01 AM
definitely a dangerous topic, but as long as we're only discussing our own bodies, seems unlikely to offend someone.

i also remember a conversation i once had in my early 20s. i had a job where we looked up people drivers licenses online (legally) and one womans license said she was 5'6" and 150 lbs. the guy i was working with said "ok so shes about average". i remember thinking how gross it was that 150 was average. i weighed about 118 at the time and had never been over 120 in my life. i was 5'6".

when i think back to that moment i want to smack myself. i even made an out-loud comment about how 150 was NOT average and was very overweight. there were 8 other women in that office and im sure more than 1 of them was offended.

now i see average women everywhere and everyone is talking about being fat, who is fat, etc. i think it depends so much on the person in question. if im above a size 10 i feel fat. before i got pregnant being a size 6 wouldve felt fat. standards do change as we get older. i know that i will never be a size 2 again, and im fine with that. i dont want to. as i get older i find myself liking the way i look as a size 10 more than how i looked at a size 2.

im really surprised so many people identified "fat" with a number on the scale or a clothing size. i see beautiful women everywhere. i have friends and even a sister who just dont look as good if theyre not carrying some weight. their bodies arent made to weigh 125 lbs. there are tall, medium-framed, boyish, petite, hourglass, slender, large busted.. and on and on and on type bodies out there. im happy at 150, but maybe someone else my height has a very small frame and no chest. they are going to look TOTALLY different at 150 than i am.

also, just something ive noticed as ive gotten older. i think women are more hard nosed about what is fat than men are. every year i see more and more that they're not the ones obsessed with who is fat and who isnt, WE are.

Fatness
10-20-2012, 01:59 AM
My OP: fat would be based on your height. If you are 5'2 160 fat. However, all women carry their weight differently. My friend is 220 5'8 and she has a sixpack. Again to me; it is all in how you carry your weight. The Height Weight Chart at the doctors office; is not for me and I don't go by it.

Dreamer2012
10-20-2012, 05:34 AM
I can only speak for myself here. As a 5'0 woman, my healthy range is between 95lbs and 127lbs and I would judge being fat based on numbers and also a little on sizes.

95 is very low for me and I would not like to be there and since I'm getting closer to 127, I don't feel like I want to be there either. While it is considered a healthy weight, I don't think I will necessary look healthy if that makes sense. :?: My ideal size would be a UK 8 (US 4) so if I was to be a size 8 at 120lbs, that is where I would like to maintain.

twinieten
10-20-2012, 10:24 AM
When noticeable muffin top occurs or when you put on jeans, bend over and your eyes feel like they may blow out of the sockets. That's my cue to put down the fork.So, so true! I think back to when I was thin, after losing weight the last time, and this was how my pants felt. Yet I could not find it in me to go back to a weight loss plan. Ugh! Never again!

For me, fat has always been around size 12. I don't know why. I look at pictures of myself when I was "so fat!", back in my younger days, and I wonder why I thought I was so fat. After losing weight, I felt like size 12 was looking better, but I still felt fat, and thought I looked fat. Now that I'm shrinking in to a 10, and 8, I think I look way better.

Others have been telling me I look fine and I don't need to lose weight for quite some time, even at 20 pounds overweight. I stand by the BMI. I'm not in the "normal" range yet, and I just want to get there. I'm 5'5" and my normal BMI upper limit is 149 lbs.

The last time I lost weight, I was a size 6-8, around 135 pounds, and I still thought I was fat. It was the belly fat I that did it. It really changes my perception of how thin I am.

As far as judging others.... I try not to do it but I admit I have a tendency to scan rooms to see how I compare to other women. Some people are overweight and I think they look fabulous. Others, not so much. I agree with what others have said. It's relative, and it's all about how we are built and how we carry our weight.

Vex
10-21-2012, 08:13 PM
The closest word I can think of that has a similar can-of-worms connotation is "old."

Oh man, I'm old AND fat, HAH!

You know, I wonder about this when I think of what my goal should be. Then I realize it really doesn't matter that much anymore. If I can hit my normal BMI, I'd be willing to call it good there. If someone still thinks I'm fat, whoopdeedo for them.

As for who calls who fat at what point? I've seen teenage boys call 90lb girls fat. So it seems that no matter what weight you are someone, somewhere can call you fat. Why - because they know it's an emotional jab that almost always works. That's why there's no point worrying about it.

krampus
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
"Fat" IMO is when your bone structure is poorly defined (can't see your ribs at all when you suck in, same for hip bones, double/poorly defined chin due to excess fat, no collarbones visible) and your true shape is obscured.

Mer du Japon
10-22-2012, 12:06 AM
For me--I see fat at being when I am a size 10 and up.

I see myself as fat when I am over 149 lbs. I am 5'8, and 156, so I currently see myself as fat, and it really causes issues with self esteem

shcirerf
10-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Unfortunately, the medical, insurance and diet communities/businesses have slapped us with a set of charts, that are only an average, and in the long run don't mean diddly squat.

Add in that as a nation we have, mostly, but not all, gotten heavier, I think our views are skewed.

Then there is the lady I know who has a reasonable weight by the charts, but is so weak, she can barely carry a gallon of milk.

Then, their is my son, who is way fit and a muscular guy. State trooper, DOT carrier enforcement officer and SWAT sniper. At 5'11" and 185 the charts say he's fat. :dizzy: There is not an ounce of fat on his body.

He works out all the time and eats well. He is just built like a brick s**thouse!

His twin brother is built different, a bit longer and lankier, but is still strong as an ox.

I think it's all relative. I'm 5'5" weigh 136-138 on any given day. I have great arms and legs. I work out. The tummy, well after having twins that weighed over 6 pounds each, without surgery, it's always gonna bulge a bit, and I have big *girls*, genes!:D

As long as you are doing the best you can with what God gave you! Good for you! It would be really boring if we were all alike!:hug:

angieand2girls
10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
It would be really boring if we were all alike!:hug:

This is exactly the way I feel about the world. Everyone is unique and that's the way it should be...that's what makes it harmonious and beautiful. How can you learn anything from 300 million clones that are exactly like you? What a boring world that would be. :)

clarabr
10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
I think I'm still fat now, yet I would never in a million years look at another person my height, weight, and pant size and think they were fat. How messed up is that.

I feel the exact same way, sadly. I obsess about losing 15 pounds ALL. THE. TIME. yet I see women my size in the street and think they look fine.

Missy Krissy
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
What did people say on facebook?

Common facebook answers were: "when you're in the double digits" "size 12" and "size 22".

I really appreciate how on 3FC there is more of a focus on health than size, although size, body image, self esteem and health are interrelated.

VermontMom
10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
I feel the exact same way, sadly. I obsess about losing 15 pounds ALL. THE. TIME. yet I see women my size in the street and think they look fine.

geez, me too!! :?:

I consider myself 'fat' when I can't wear my size 8 jeans comfortably; when I am aware of my upper arm fat all the time; when my tummy looks a little doughy and not flat.

brethan
10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Obviously it depends on somatotype and height but the waist, breasts and arms are among the first things I look to judge whether someone is fat or not..

Robin41
10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
"Fat" IMO is when your bone structure is poorly defined (can't see your ribs at all when you suck in, same for hip bones, double/poorly defined chin due to excess fat, no collarbones visible) and your true shape is obscured.

Love this answer.

Clothing size references make no sense to me. So I'm good with a size 10? Is that a 2012 size 10 even though that would have been a 14 in 1982? Would I have felt fat as a 1982 size 14 but I'm perfectly good now?

At my height and weight, I'd be seen as stick thin in some states (I'm looking at you Mississippi), but in Colorado I'd be just about average. So subjective that it's meaningless.

But your true shape obscured by too much weight? That is a reality that has nothing to do with clothing or the subjective judgments of others.

EagleRiverDee
10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
I think in the USA that we have a really warped view of what is a healthy body weight, to the extent that we look at someone who is overweight and see them as normal, and someone who is actually at their optimal BMI and think of them as having an eating disorder. I know I have a terrible issue with seeing myself accurately in a mirror. When I see myself in a mirror I see myself as not being fat. Except I am. I am still clinically obese. I see it much easier in photos.

DandelionCupcakes
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
At my height and weight, I'd be seen as stick thin in some states (I'm looking at you Mississippi), but in Colorado I'd be just about average. So subjective that it's meaningless.

!!!
Isn't that insane?

I guess for me, fat is a state of mind. For me, I've never been 'fat' even when people looked at me and probably said "Wow, she's fat." I never, ever let my weight dictate what I do. If I think I look good in something and it covers me properly, I'm gonna wear it! For me, fat is when you give up on yourself. When you say "screw it. i'm done trying" before you're where you want to be.

serendipity907
10-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I have quite a strong opinion on this I guess, as I'm of the opinion that due to the increase in obesity and general overweight population, we've lost sight of what fat/overweight is.

I think if you've got obvious fat pooches, even if you're technically barely overweight, it's a sign you should probably look to become healthier and more active. After all it's probably only going to become worse with time.

I'm probably going to sound like a weight fanatic now, I really don't meant to sound like one though. I'm not going to lie to myself that I'm not fat because I'm a normal BMI. I have visible excess fat on my hips and thighs which is there because I've eaten too much candy.

Personally for me I'm definitely not overweight or full on fat now, but I do have excess fat.

missiray17
10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
My definition of "fat" has varied with each "diet" I've been on. At first I was over 145 lbs and felt fat, and got down to 135 and felt great. Then I got down to 130 and thought anything over that was fat. Then I got down to 124 and i feel fat not being at that weight. I think anything greater than the smallest point I've been makes me feel fat, which I know is not realistic or true for anybody.. just how I feel

Wannabehealthy
10-23-2012, 11:17 AM
This takes me back to freshman year of high school. At lunch one day, we were discussing weights and my friend made the comment, "I could never imagine being 150 lbs. That's so much!". Well, at 5'7", I weight about 155 at the time, so needless to say I was embarrassed. However, at 155, I looked pretty darn good. The point is, there's no way to say what general number of pounds makes a person fat. 155 lbs on me is healthy and looks good, while on someone much shorter than me, may not be healthy and will look very different. It's hard to define "fat" in terms of weight or pants size. Usually you can look at someone and tell if they need to lose a few. But even that is extremely subjective.

I had a similar situation. One day my husband accidentally wore my jeans to work. Mine are boot cut and his are straight leg and he wondered why they were so baggy legged, but otherwise, they fit him. I thought it was funny, and I mentioned it to a woman at work and she said "If my husband could fit into my jeans I'd kill myself." I thought that was pretty harsh! Kill herself? Was she implying that I should kill myself? I'm not happy about it, but I'm trying to do something about it, not killing myself!

takingcontrol
10-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Fat for me on me is when my double chin starts to creep back, when my flat tummy isn't so fat anymore. These are things I've seen change for the better and now use as indicators to show I'm gaining again.

My other fat indicators are my upper arms being flabby and huge and my legs being disproportionately large for my torso and lacking definition, especially my stumpy knees and flabby thighs. Now, these things I've yet to see put right, and I've no idea if I ever will. But having legs and upper arms I'm happy with will mean far far more to me than the number on the scales, and also give me great motivation to make exercise a huge part of my life, no matter what my weight.

I'm with most other people that these are only my indicators, and are flaws that I would likely never notice on others.

ryeb
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I have seen people that are lighter, but still "sloppy". To me, fat is when someone, including myself, looks sloppy. IE, double chin, muffin top, flappy arms, over sized thighs, back fat.

I know it has been said through out this entire thread, but I will say it again, fat is not a number or a size, it is all realitve to the individual.

NOW, do I know if I hit a certain number, it is my wake up call that I am "fat" yes. If I hit a certain number it is a wake up call I am getting in shape, yes.

With that being said, a year and half ago, I was working out and losing weight. The scale stopped going down, but my pant size still dropped. I was losing because of working out.

If I said "160" is fat, then I would have never seen the hard work I was putting in at the gym. For me, it is really if I have to say "well I have a pretty face" or "I am just a thick girl" that means I need to reevaluate myself and get my booty back in gear.

IsabellaOlivia
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
I just hit the healthy range of my BMI. But at 5'2 and 137 pounds I look overweight and I am overweight even though that infamous chart says I'm at a healthy weight.

I'm an apple shape and I have a small frame. Absolutely all my weight goes to my stomach, and I have big ol' muffin top. My waist circumference is 95 cm and a waistline above 80 cm waist is considered a major increase for lifestyle diseases.

BMI is just a chart and has strong limitations.

racrane
10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I have my own personal indicators on my body, but I don't really judge others the way I do myself. I'm harsher to myself than to other people. I consider myself heavier when I can't see my face anymore. I can't right now and that's upsetting. That's my best gauge, honestly. That and my waist disappearing.

Lakilaulea
10-23-2012, 08:34 PM
When noticeable muffin top occurs or when you put on jeans, bend over and your eyes feel like they may blow out of the sockets. That's my cue to put down the fork.

I literally busted out laughing when I read that response!

I have seen people that are lighter, but still "sloppy". To me, fat is when someone, including myself, looks sloppy. IE, double chin, muffin top, flappy arms, over sized thighs, back fat.

I know it has been said through out this entire thread, but I will say it again, fat is not a number or a size, it is all realitve to the individual.

I totally agree with this answer. For me, I consider myself fat when my l can't wear shorts because it hurts when my thighs rub, when my face turns into a perfect sphere, when I can see a double chin in pictures, when I get rolls on my back, when I lose sight of my collarbone.... My sister is a couple inches taller than me and has always outweighed me. Our bone structures are totally different, though; if you saw her, she looks like a tall slim but curvy Amazon. I look like a dowdy spongy brick. She's got great definition in her bone structure, but all you see on me are rounded edges. We wear the same size clothes, but because of her shape, she looks 30lbs. lighter than me. Numbers are very subjective; I've always tried to gauge my progress on whether or not I see my collarbone. I'm still a good 40lbs. away from seeing it, so I'm my own definition of fat right now.

Radiojane
11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I felt like a supermodel ( and was actually told I should consider modelling -yeah right lol) when I was 15. I weighed 215 lbs. any doctors chart would say I was overweight, and my skinny tiny friends guessed I weighed 150!

Fat for me is when the front of my pants don't lie flat, when there's a gap between my Knees because my thighs are so big. Fat is when I have to use band extenders to get into a bra.