Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default What Equipment is Changing Your Workout?

I love discovering new equipment, particularly cheap and portable equipment, to help bump up my workouts.

Recently, I purchased a suspension trainer (similar to a TRX, but not that brand...there are less expensive options out there). This thing is AWESOME. My muscles had adapted, I think, more than I'd realized...I am SORE. Great for working legs, arms, core...very portable, great for hotel rooms...I think I'm in love.

Anyone else have a fitness innovation changing up their workout?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6

I know this post is old but I had to reply. I got a weighted vest for Christmas from my husband and this has dramatically changed my workouts. The intensity has been bumped up and I love the new challenge too.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oooh, weighted vest!

I just discovered a (free) app...Nike Training Club. You select your goal, your level, and you get guided through a workout. And the workouts, at least at the advanced level, seem like a real challenge! Going to go through one tomorrow.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.5/119.4/116

Height: 5'2

I got a weighted hula hoop for Christmas and loving it!
WAHMto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

One of the best purchases I have ever made... and that has made my workouts fun and a lot longer... is my underwater iPod!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #6  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Misti I have heard of those! Pretty neat.

I just got a Polar FT4 HRM. It is belted. I haven't even had the chance to use it yet, but I already love it. The band, which I thought was going to be awful, is soft and comfortable and I can't even feel it. You plug in your age, weight, DOB, and it calculates target heart rate. Once you start the training session, it tracks time and heart rate. After you have stopped the session, it reviews your workout and calculates how many cals you burned. I love that. I haven't gotten this far, but it will save a certain amount of workouts to compare for review later, too.

I want kettle balls next!
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I didn't see this when it was originally posted but thank you spammer for bringing it back

Recently, I bought a trampoline which is definitely changing my workout. I have a TRX and kettlebells as well. I use both in my workouts.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Smashlers, yes the iPod is super. I did a lot of research and ended up getting the iPod Shuffle. So tiny and attaches right to my swimsuit strap and I got a really net set of earphones with it.

nelie, I used to love a trampoline too! I did dancing on it. However, now with my hip problem I can't do that but can still dance in the water. But I agree they are a fun way to work out for people who can do it!! My physical therapist advised me against trying kettlebells too.. have heard others say they are good.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Now-a-days less is more. At one time I was paying for 2 gym memberhips (one country & one city). Now I have found Motown on Pandora and (lol) my life has changed. I pick up my 3 lb weights and dance to 5 songs every day. Then I use heavier weights and bands for upper or lower body on alternate days. No paying, no driving, and its even fun.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

I just recently went ahead and got a really good mini trampoline (although it's not so "mini" since it's 44" in diameter and takes up a lot of space... lol...) and I absolutely LOVE it!

I'm not doing anything really "structured" with it yet as far as workouts go... But I find myself just hopping on it and just bouncing around for a few minutes here and there and it really feels awesome... and actually, it's much more of a "workout" than I realized it would be...

The only problem now is that I really want a full size outdoor one... and I know that's probably one of those "What was I ever thinking ideas?" that I really should try to forget about and just leave well enough alone... lol...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #11  

I want a trampoline (a mini one I mean)!! Are they really that good of a workout? Is it considered a cardio workout?

I bought a hula hoop and the only exercise I get from it is when I bend over to keep picking it up. And don't even ask me about my jump roping skills....
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #12  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I want a trampoline (a mini one I mean)!! Are they really that good of a workout? Is it considered a cardio workout?

I bought a hula hoop and the only exercise I get from it is when I bend over to keep picking it up. And don't even ask me about my jump roping skills....
I think you could totally get a great cardio workout on a mini trampoline... you can simulate "jogging" on it quite easily and I'll do some of that between just bouncing... I also bought some exercise DVD's by the same company that makes the mini trampoline that I got... but I haven't even looked at those yet.... The mini trampoline that I wound up getting is by a company called Jumpsport... and so far I'm really impressed with the quality.... I love the thing!

I didn't do a lot of research... I just went on amazon one morning and sort of bought the thing on a whim... But I couldn't be happier... Although I did find out that there is company called Bellicon which I guess a lot of people consider to be the "best" when it comes to these things... but they cost quite a bit more....

Who knows... If I really get into this whole "rebounding" thing I might get one of those too... lol...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
The only problem now is that I really want a full size outdoor one... and I know that's probably one of those "What was I ever thinking ideas?" that I really should try to forget about and just leave well enough alone... lol...
We had one for the kids...and I think the adults loved it more!My boss had one for herself(no kids allowed.That's where I got the idea of wanting one) I would get on and jump for a short time and be out of breath and sweaty...it was great! Sadly,ours got wrapped around a tree during a tornado a few years back
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I love discovering new equipment, particularly cheap and portable equipment, to help bump up my workouts.

Recently, I purchased a suspension trainer (similar to a TRX, but not that brand...there are less expensive options out there). This thing is AWESOME. My muscles had adapted, I think, more than I'd realized...I am SORE. Great for working legs, arms, core...very portable, great for hotel rooms...I think I'm in love.

Anyone else have a fitness innovation changing up their workout?
Where does one put something like a suspension trainer? I saw a video somewhere and they had it hooked up to a special contraption in a gym.It looked great,but the:"where would I be able to use it" had me thinking otherwise.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Old shoes (so I don't wear out new ones) on the walk to work.

And a decent umbrella that can handle the wind so I can even walk in the rain and snow.

Last edited by IanG; 04-07-2013 at 08:47 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote