Weight Loss Support - How often do you go? (bowl movement) / Teas

BlackBarbieKiss125
10-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I dont go much and was thinking of incorporating smooth move or other teas into my day. Any suggestions/experiences?

juliastl27
10-17-2012, 05:37 PM
im glad that someone was brave enough to post about this, lol. my dr always told me that things are probably fine as long as you're not in any pain/discomfort. im only "going" every 3 or 4 days tho so im feeling concerned...

TraumaNurse
10-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Everybody is different. It can be normal for some to go a couple times a day and perfectly normal to go once every 4 days or so. That being said if it's been 5 days or more I would consult with your doc to see what they recommend. At the 5 day mark with our patients if they are eating a diet and they haven't had a bowel movement that's when we start other interventions to get things moving along if you know what I mean.

Man I love talking about poop! I never met a nurse who didn't love a good poop discussion ;)

fatgiraffe
10-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Everybody is different and everyone has their own "normals" but going once every couple days is not okay! You need to try to incorporate more fiber in your diet and WATER! Most likely you are dehydrated. Fiber does not equal diarrhea either. Think of is this way, your stool is WASTE it is full of toxins that your body is going to get rid of, the longer it stays in your body, the more time it has to reabsorb those toxins. Evaluate what you're eating and try drinking more water. Add more bulk forming foods in your diet like fruits and vegetables and whole grains.

I am a nurse and I have lots of dis-impaction stories for you!

atmos
10-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Depending on my fiber intake, I'm every 1-2 days. Usually when I travel to a foreign country I get stopped up though. This is especially true for Taiwan...I'm lucky to go once a week. I try to eat an apple every day when I travel.

I agree with fatgiraffe. Try upping your fiber intake (fruits, veggies, whole grains) and making sure you're getting the amount of water you need. You didn't comment on this so it's totally possible you are getting enough water, but if you have trouble with it try keeping a liter bottle with you at all times. It's convenient and gives you an easy way to track your water intake for the day.

As I mentioned, I like an apple a day when on travel (when I'm more likely to have issues), and also prunes help too! I love their taste but have to be careful how many I eat...

healthyginger
10-17-2012, 06:39 PM
I use to be constantly constipated -a lifetime problem- until I discovered Dr. Millers Holy Tea and now I go several times every day. You can find it at amazon-I have no connection to it- my naturalpath doc recommended it.

1spunkygal
10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Plumsmart (red cap) 8 oz every morning ...good luck :)

Lo sugar is the blue cap.

angieand2girls
10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm every morning like clockwork. Sometimes up to 3 times a day (depending on what and how much I eat). But I have two daughters...one is every day, one is every other day and their doctors say they are both normal. Yeah....I agree everyone's body is different.

Arctic Mama
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM
I've never had to resort to teas, but use Magnesium supplements to deal with constipation, instead. Not only that, but it helps with migraines and muscle cramps, too, which I have to watch for when pregnant. This is the second pregnancy I have supplemented magnesium and can't recall having any leg or foot cramps since beginning, where it was previously a once-a-week-or-more issue!

As far as bowel movements, normal depends on your body, but I generally fall in the once per day group, with a few more or less frequent bouts here and there. Dehydration is a big culprit for me, as is a lack of exercise. Both water and moving around make me much more regular. TMI enough? ;)

Thistleberry
10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Man, bowel movements are an event in my world. I only go two (usually) or three (if I'm lucky) times a week. I don't know why, really. I drink tons of water and get plenty of fiber. I might be lacking a wee bit in natural fats, but that's the only thing I can think that might make a difference. As I'm not experiencing any discomfort and certainly no pain I've decided to stop worrying about it. :shrug:

I recognize that's probably not much help to you, but I just wanted to chip in and let you know you're not alone. :)

novangel
10-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Is it ok to take Colace (non-lax stool softener) daily? I think I need to. :/

Arctic Mama
10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Generally needing stool softeners regularly is not a good thing, and I'd check in with a doctor about that. Infrequent bowel movements are fine, but if your stool is consistently painful or pellet-shaped/hard, something is amiss in your diet or gastrointestinal tract. Getting enough dietary fat AND fiber, as well as fluids, should eliminate the need for such medications most of the time.

I'd go talk with a GP or ANP about that before resorting to regular Colace use. Of the medicines to deal with this it is quite safe, but still not ideal :)

1spunkygal
10-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Is it ok to take Colace (non-lax stool softener) daily? I think I need to. :/

PLUMSMART (plum juice) 8 oz every morning without fail try it :)

Candeka
10-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Once a day. In the morning. About 30 minutes after waking up. Yeah my body runs on a schedule apparently. However, if traveling my body refuses to go for the first 4 days. It is somewhat nice when traveling with friends and sharing a hotel room! I am very predictable in that department.

freelancemomma
10-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Right now I'm maintaining my weight and I generally go once a day, sometime in the morning. When I'm in weight loss mode I only go once every couple of days, and when I'm overeating I go twice or more per day.

F.

LeilaJey
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
The other day I went like 6 times, it was awesome. After a few days of over eating though so that makes sense.

I seem to go from once a day to once or twice a week (then I eat fibre like a crazy mofo). Sometimes it's ok to not go for a few days if I haven't been eating a lot.

AilsaPearl
10-18-2012, 09:28 AM
It used to be normal for me to go once every 4 days or so, and usually just little "deer" pebbles, showing that it just wasn't enough really. Once I started eating more food and specifically more fiber/veggies/fiber bran stuff, I started going every 1-2 days which is amazing for me!

I eat "Scandinavian Crispbread: which is a 12 calorie per slice fiber bran cracker thing that fills me up in the morning and makes me go pretty regularly! I have also tried Smooth Move, I don't LOVE the taste but it's not horrible either. I just found it kind of uncomfortable taking before bed and then my stomach gurgled all night long. Also try prunes! :)

Garnet2727
10-18-2012, 09:41 AM
If I get up at the same time every morning, I have a bowel movement just as soon as I can get out of bed, walk to the bathroom and sit my rear end on the toilet. Sometimes, the urge wakes me up and gets me up.

If I get up too early, though, particularly when I have to catch a plane for business travel, I can't poop. Typically, I won't until the next day.

When I was young, I had a LOT of trouble with constipation. However, a very wise doctor fixed that by merely having me increase my water intake. I drink fluids pretty much constantly throughout the day. Of course, this makes me pee a lot but it also keeps me regular. I also eat at least one apple every day.

Kery
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Generally once a day for me, unless I'm dehydrated and/or haven't eaten much (like when I'm sick).
On the other hand, if I go twice a day, it means I've eaten junk food.

masterptr
10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
once a day in the morning within 30-45 minutes of getting up

krampus
10-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Most mornings about 30-45 minutes after waking.

Less frequently if I am eating at a deficit.

novangel
10-18-2012, 09:32 PM
The other day I went like 6 times

You're my hero. Seriously. I take meds that bind me up so to poop everyday is my dream. :lol:

Fatness
10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
i drink a lot of plum juice; so i may go 4-5 times a week

Thistleberry
10-18-2012, 09:37 PM
You're my hero. Seriously. I take meds that bind me up so to poop everyday is my dream. :lol:

I don't have meds to blame it on, but this thread is giving me twosie-envy too. :lol:

novangel
10-18-2012, 09:45 PM
So people say plum juice, is that more effective than prune?? Help! :o

KittyKatFan
10-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I also take a medication because I used to have years of issues with the opposite problem: diarrhea. :(

So now, I might go once every day or two. Sometimes twice a day, but sometimes it is longer than once every couple days. I do get constipated but it is due to medication not lack of fiber. And after years of chronic diarrhea that actually impacted the quality of my life, I am just fine with the occasional bout of constipation.

TMI! :)

One huge benefit of my weight loss has been the ability to reduce the amount of medication I take. I used to use one packet a day, but now I can go for a couple of days or even more without having problems (my prescription is to use as needed; I'm not skipping required doses).

shcirerf
10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
I go every morning, after about 1/2 cup of coffee. Then once more in the next 2 hours and right after lunch. Gotta rotate the stock.

I can't imagine only going every 3 or 4 days! I'd blow up!

Nayshal
10-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I drink tea every night so I go without fail when I wake up. Sometimes it's annoying when I get that feeling at like 3 am but at least I know I'm going to be a bit lighter when I weigh-in a couple of hours later :lol:

toastedsmoke
10-19-2012, 07:13 AM
When eating at a deficit like I am now, I go every 2-3 days which I find completely opposed to what I think is healthy (but what does one do, eh?). When eating at maintenance, I go at least once a day.

novangel
10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I can't imagine only going every 3 or 4 days! I'd blow up!

Yes, it's pretty uncomfortable.

I bought some dried prunes yesterday in hopes that maybe that will help but I will consider some plum or prune juice. Coffee helps sometimes too but not well enough.

LeilaJey
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM

lol! I'm feeling pretty good now :P

I know the annoyance of constipation though, so I feel your pain. For some people coffee seems to have the opposite effect. I eat more fruit these days and it helps. Prunes are delicious too!

mom23kids1
10-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I used to be very regular (every morning), until I started my diet this past week and started eating low carb/low sugar. Now it's every other day. I just started taking a magnesium supplement, a probiotic, and trying to get flax seed in everyday, so hopefully these things will help things get back on track. I'm drinking way more water now than I used to so go figure!