Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #1  

Default How to Find the Motivation to Exercise

We all know it’s good for us. We know if we want to eat delicious (ie. calorie-ridden) foods that our body craves, we should probably add a little exercise to our routines to counteract that. And on top of that, you gain more energy, deal with stress better, and have better overall mental and physical health, etc etc. You don’t need me to tell you all the benefits you will receive from adding a little movement into your life. Also, I’m not saying you have to go all P90X or Insanity on me now (unless, of course, that’s your thing). I’m just saying a brisk walk around the neighborhood, a quick workout dvd, or just 30 minutes of Wii Fit is all it takes to feel good about yourself.

But I Don’t Want To!

I remember when my set workout time was at 4:15am (yes, before the birds have even woken up). The excuses and deals I would make with myself when my alarm went off at that awful hour. I would convince myself that my body really needed the extra sleep today. Or that I kinda feel a tickle in the back of my throat, so I wouldn’t want to make myself sicker. I would tell myself that I’d eat extra careful that day if I didn’t work out. Or even that I would find a time later to work out (full-well knowing that the only time that really worked for my schedule was the already set time of 4:15am).

I know all the games our minds play with us when it comes to working out. But you know what they are? They are just excuses. Because working out isn’t necessarily fun. It’s hard work. It’s gonna make us sweat and get dirty. It might even hurt a little bit (or sometimes I lot… I remember back when I was doing Insanity not being able to sit easily to use el potty). But our bodies need it. They are not made to be sedentary and just watch tv or just watch our kids play. They are made to get up and play with them! Chase the kids outside. Take your dog for a jog rather than the regular walk (dogs need exercise too). I know you don’t want to do it, but when it comes down to it, you’ve just gotta!

Tips to Get Going

Tell at least 3 people when you’re going to workout.

It is much easier to make excuses to yourself than it is to 3 of your friends or co-workers. Do you really want to go back into work the next day and tell your neighbor that you were just too into the latest Kardashian’s Episode to get up and get moving? A few times of excuses, and your buddy’s just going to think you’re lazy and never take you seriously. When we tell people we are going to do something, more often then not, we actually follow through and do it. I know for me, there’s not much worse than having to go tell someone that I just couldn’t do something.

Commit to 10 minutes

Really, just 10 minutes. Tell yourself that’s all that is required of you. If you’re just not feeling it after 10 minutes, then by all means, bag it if you feel the need. Chances are though, once you’ve gone to the trouble of getting your workout gear on and started to break a sweat, you’ll end up working out for longer.

Find a Workout Buddy

This goes hand in hand with the first tip. Not only are you telling someone you’re going to work out, but you’re committing to be at a certain time and place with that friend. Do you really want to let them down and make them do this themselves? Your buddy will be counting on you, and just like you wouldn’t want her to flake on you, she’s hoping you aren’t going to flake on her.

Plan Ahead

Know what you’re going to do and have your clothes all laid out as well as any equipment you might need (weights, yoga mat, etc). Set an alarm for whenever you’re supposed to get ready to workout, whether it’s in the morning or 8 at night. Have everything all ready so you can just get right to it without worrying about the logistics.

Think About How You Will Feel if You Don’t Workout

I don’t know about you, but this was always enough for me to guilt me into working out at 4 am. I just knew that if I didn’t workout in the morning, all day I would get that nagging feeling that just ticked me off every time. I’d kick myself over and over asking myself why I didn’t just get up and exercise! Everything I ate would feel heavier, knowing my metabolism was slower than most days. So every time I even thought about not working out in the morning, I would think about how I was going to feel later in the day. It doesn’t take long to get my butt going after that.

Find a New Routine

Are you bored with the same routine you’ve been doing? Or maybe you don’t have a routine at all and don’t know where to start? You don’t want to pay for an expensive trainer to tell you what to do, and I sure don’t blame you! There is an abundance of ideas online. Have you browsed Pinterest for workout ideas? I’ve made an ‘Imma Be Ripped‘ board on Pinterest of just a few workouts I’ve tried or would like to try. Something as simple as just switching it up for a day could be all it takes to kickstart you into a new workout rhythm.

Update Your Playlist

There’s just something about new music that will get me hopping. Imagine. A new playlist plus a new routine! Man, I’d be ready to roll right away! There’s a bunch of great sites that lists hundreds of songs based off how many beats there are per minute (BPM). That way you can match the activity you are doing (running, jogging, cycling, walking, etc) to music! I have yet to go in and check some of the music out, but I know I need to revamp my playlist.

I hope this helps get you guys motivated. What are some of the ways you get yourself up and going when you really don't want to?
happyfoodholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #2  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Well, recently I read this silly little motivation article to get me running, and one of the things it mentioned is to think of running as a privilege, because some people can't run. It was joking about babies, but it made me think about this girl in one of my classes who has poor use of her legs and has to use a walker. That made me want to run. I'll run a little extra, for her.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #3  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritix View Post
Well, recently I read this silly little motivation article to get me running, and one of the things it mentioned is to think of running as a privilege, because some people can't run. It was joking about babies, but it made me think about this girl in one of my classes who has poor use of her legs and has to use a walker. That made me want to run. I'll run a little extra, for her.
That's awesome!

I have a son with cerebral palsy and a gramma that lost her legs to diabetes. When I don't feel like running, I totally do it for them.
sevencallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

happyfoodholly, you gave a ton of great tips!

When I don't want to work out, I face a few facts -

* I CAN do it, I AM physically able. I don't have any ailments or pains or disadvantages that would keep me from it (occasional knee pain but I work around that) so I have no physical excuses!

* It absolutely has proven to be the only reason I can do "stand on my feet all day" type of jobs, with NO backaches ever (strong abs)

*It makes me feel like I am beating Father Time's butt
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Great tips, happyfoodholly!

Spiritix, "thinking of running as a privilege", is terrific.

Someone on here posted something to the effect that diet and exercise require self-discipline, not some wished for motivation.

One of the things that helps me is listening to audio books. I get audio books from the library and put them on my MP3 player.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/235/140

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for this!

I don't do much yet, but I found something I enjoy: walking part of the way (if not all the way) home from work. It's about 3 miles and I love listening to music on the way. I have more energy and feel better, even after the first go.

I use that as my own motivation: I feel better every time I exercise, no matter what.
GWDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #7  
Health obsessee

I'll tell you what works for me.

I think of the person I long to be, and say to myself "There is a time for change, and that time is now"

"weight loss is a slow process, but the longer you leave it to start, the sooner you'll regret doing that"

I also use people who have been horrible to me to encourage me to do it. It may be negative, but it gets the job done.
Miss Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/320/280

Height: 6'0 Feet

I have days when I just don't wanna go out either. I guess the best way is to think of it as a routine and not a chore. Fit it in to your regular daily routine. If it helps set a time for it, that way you don't have to think about if your in the mood to do it but more of I have to get it out of the way before the next step.
NoPainNoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #9  
i will win this time!

S/C/G: 267/244/150

Height: 5'6

What works for me is the idea of a beautiful, sexy, glamorous girl at the night club in a beautiful, short dress dancing (in stilletos) and looking hot....then i realize if i ever want to be that again, i need to get off my butt. or else im the girl sitting there wearing my moomoo, wearing flats(no stilleto wil support my frame) and jealous because my insecurities lead me to think that my husbands looking at her when hes not even paying attention....yeah that gets me off my butt
want2bebak2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #10  

I printed this photo out so that I'm forced to step back and take a look at the bigger picture when I don't feel like exercising. It kind of makes you feel silly when you try to make excuses!

thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

Thanks for all the great advice. With winter approaching and needing to move my workouts inside, these will come in handy.

Thinkfit-Love the picture. Really does put things in perspective.
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote