Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat October 9 - October 21

BillBlueEyes
10-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Amazing day yesterday. Heard the Dalai Lama in person speak in Boston. His message is for an ethics of compassion whether one follows a religion or not, a belief system or not, or is theistic or not. Such a simple message of amazing power. His presence overwhelmed the room of 2400 people. All of us went through hours of security and waiting without complaint, chatting in line with strangers as if old friends. It was colorful audience with many Tibetans in their national dress.

I'm inspired for a week of eating simply.

Mudpie
10-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Bill Yes the Dalai Lama has an amazing calmness to him. And a sense of humour too! I attended his seminar in Toronto a few years back. What a great leader and person. Totally inspiring. :angel:

I am in slow cooker mode this week - rainy cool weather and little time. My father is same old same old :rollpin: (disowned me to leave me "penniless" on Saturday visit) and DH :eek: is acting up too. I will strive for inner calm and enjoy my time with the dogs :hyper: in the rain.

Mudpie is a welcome diversion too - she has now assumed the "comic relief" :rofl: role in my life. Pets have such empathy for our feelings. I couldn't get through life without them!

Happy Monday all!

Dagmar :yoga:

alinnell
10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Bill~that is what this world needs--compassion. It's really sad how most, if not all, wars are because one religion thinks they have the better religion and decide to force the other religions out with violence and killing.

We went to see Argo yesterday. This movie is by far the best movie I've seen all year. I highly recommend it. Highly.

Sorry you've been disowned, Dagmar.

shcirerf
10-16-2012, 12:50 AM
*waves*

I've been following along, though not posting.

Got the last of the garden canned over the week end.

Like many of you I also have issues. Mostly for another day.

Right now, I'm outta here on the 10th of November, going to Lincoln to the Husker/Penn State game with my sisters, Fun! But my Mom, when she finds out will find a way to make it a kill joy, * deep sigh* which is why we won't tell her till we get back.

Then the holidays, and the "guilt" because we won't do what she wants. Oh, well, it is what it is. It's tough when you have a large extended family, we can't all be every where, everyone wants us to be.

On the good side, still maintaining! And still working out! Go ME!:D

Mudpie
10-16-2012, 06:30 AM
janelle My DH and I stayed home for Christmas last year, just the two of us and the cats, for the first time in our 16 years together. I bought a cooked rotisserie turkey so meal prep was minimal. We went for a long walk and sat around chatting and drinking tea etc.

It was :cloud9:.

Our "normal" Christmas before then consisted of driving for 2 hours on Christmas eve to see my family, who we see about 2x per year. Much exchanging of gifts which we really couldn't afford.

Then it was a 6 hour drive on Christmas Day to see his family, again folks we see 2x per year. 2 overnights in a motel and another 6 hours back. And again exchanging of gifts we and one of DH's sisters could ill afford. Last time we were there DH's sister and her family all looked so sick and sad (all morbidly obese, sister has MS, dad has had both hips replaced, father-in-law has Alzheimer's, and they all SMOKE!) that I spent most of the visit walking the 2 dogs (who were amazed at this lucky turn of events).

We are going to spend Christmas alone again this year. We are truly broke this time but will enjoy our "alone" time with another walk and tea and chatting. Sometimes you have to make time for yourselves, no matter what the family demands.

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
10-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I was hoping for a large celebration again for Thanksgiving. My Dad had requested that I host and I readily agreed. My brother and his wife said no because their youngest is in college and only gets a four-day weekend so no time to travel. So my Dad, who lives in the same city decided not to come. My sister and her husband were on board until my Dad decided not to come. They thought they'd go visit my Dad because he thinks my brother will invite him for the meal, but in likelihood, they'll go skiing and forget the celebration. My cousins who live 2 hours away were invited but all declined (the total number there varies between 5 and 22 depending on which cousins and families come). So it came down to me, DH, the kids and my in-laws. Six. I asked my MIL to invite her friends who have come from time to time. Of the six or eight likely ones, there will maybe be two. But DD has saved the day! She invited her new BF (not really serious), her new roommate and possibly the roommates BF (but she'd rather he not come). Oh, yeah, I'd also invited DH's sister and her husband and they declined. IDK. I'm used to cooking for a crowd of about 27. Will I be able to handle such a small and intimate dinner party?

Christmas is usually very quiet--just the six of us. We have breakfast together, unwrap presents, go to a movie and then have a nice dinner. New Year's Day is more festivities as we celebrate DS's birthday (12/25), FIL's birthday (1/1) and DH's birthday (1/4).

bargoo
10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I got my free haircut yesterday, I had never met this hairdresser before and in fact had never been in the shop. Guess what ? I liked her, she actually did what I asked, I told her to the shortest areas were from a previous layer cut and to lignore them, they will grow, she did, I asked her not to cut too much off the necklins, she said about an inch and a half?I thought that sounded about right and that was what she did. The back is all one length or as much as it can be considering those pesky short layers but she cut the rest of it so it balanced in. I just got out of bed and haven't showered yet so we will see what I can do with it. It was a long day though as I had chemo after that and that takes two hours , I was very tired and couldn't sleep last night. I tried taking an OTC sleeping pill, they never work, at least for me they don't.

alinnell
10-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Sorry you had a bad night's sleep, bargoo. I can sympathize. I don't remember if it was Friday night or Saturday night, but I could not fall asleep and every time I tried I kept going over the same scenario in my mind. Really, how many times do I need to play it over?

I'm trying to catch the feral kitten (Cully) that lives at our office. I've placed a kennel where he eats. He goes in and sleeps in there so I know he's comfortable with it. He lets me pet and pick him up. So I planned on catching him yesterday morning. It was not to be. I think he sensed how terrified I was to do this (why I was terrified? No idea.). Anyway, he refused to come near me yesterday and he wouldn't even eat his breakfast. He was a little better in the afternoon and even better this morning. I'll try again today. Wish me luck!

traveling michele
10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi from me flying by!
Day two of my book fair.
Yesterday was donuts for dads and a big success.
Today is muffins for moms....
I'll pop in when I can....

krampus
10-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone!

I am choking back stress-tears as I discover today, a week before our conference, that we have half the space we thought we did, and so many last minute details to hammer out. The stress is killing my appetite. No matter what, I will not die and I will not lose my job over this. In fact, a solution will present itself. At the very worst, everyone will be annoyed, give terrible evaluations and blame it on "poor planning."

traveling michele
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry for the stress Krampus. Hope things aren't as bad as you fear.

Allison-- our Thanksgiving most years lately has been the 4 of us. We still have the whole huge meal with all the fixings. I would be so relieved if I was you and didn't have to plan for 27 people!

BillBlueEyes
10-17-2012, 04:25 AM
We felt the Richter 4.5 earthquake yesterday that originated in Maine. I know that's kinda wimpy by California or world standards. Most folks are really annoyed that they didn't notice it, LOL. I thought it was a passing train.

Sending supportive thoughts to Krampus that you can fight the heap of emotions so that you have the energy to find your best path forward. My work experience is that people are most remembered for how they play through a crisis rather than for the crisis itself.

And also supportive thoughts to Dagmar for dealing with the emotional pain. May all your dogs help you continue to plow forward.

My challenge continues to be to fight through some tension without resorting to the bag of nuts in the pantry. Emotional eating still appeals despite consistently experiencing that it doesn't help.

Mudpie
10-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Allison Cats are totally empathetic to your emotions. If you are afraid kitty will be afraid. If you are calm and encouraging kitty will be comfortable.

May I suggest sitting beside the kennel for a bit and encouraging kitty to come to you with food and/or treats? Handle him gently until he relaxes and then put some more treats into the carrier. A toy with catnip on it might help too. When he goes in after them quietly close the door. Just keep breathing slowly and evenly and you will stay calm (I use this for the dogs all the time - they too can sense when I'm stressed).

krampus sorry for your stress. :hug: From your post I see you progressing through the scenario and handling it with aplomb.

Bill The emotional eating is a really hard response to alter for me too. I was in a fender-bender (and handled it like an idiot though I wasn't at fault) yesterday (just to add to all the stuff going on). I came home and DH yelled at me for it. I went straight to the Halloween candy and stood there throwing mini chocolate bars into my mouth without tasting them.

They didn't help.

Dagmar :tired:

bargoo
10-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I am an emotional eater , too. It doesn't have to be a bad emotion, sadness, fear, etc. happiness can bring on that old feeling of "I need to eat something to celebrate this." "Something" is usually sweet and chocolatey , if no chocolate is available sweet will do.

bargoo
10-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Someone posted this on Facebook, if it applies , use it.

Advice Fom a Tree

Stand tall and proud.
Go out on a limb.
Remember your roots.
Drink plenty of water.
Be content with your natural beauty.
Enjoy the view.

alinnell
10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Bill~I just heard about your earthquake this morning. Yes, small by our standards, but big enough for it to be felt quite easily. Was there any damage? Do they think it was caused by fracking?

Michele~my Mom always thought I'd have a career of a caterer. I love to cook and fix food for a crowd. I don't get to do it often, though. Sunday dinners are nice as I get to do it somewhat for my in-laws, but it just isn't the same.

Dagmar~I tried again yesterday and failed. Cully was eating and allowing me to pet him all over. I scruffed him and got him half-way into the kennel and then he became quite slippery and he got away from me. I ordered a trap from Amazon yesterday. It'll be here tomorrow and we'll see how that works. If possible, I'll set it up and not arm it to get him used to it--like I did with the kennel which he now sleeps in (even with the door on it). I would like to get a good picture of him. He's really a pretty cat. His face is pure tabby but his body is ticked with a black stripe down his back. His ears are tufted (which will be sad when the vet tips one of them).

I'm laughing at the meme that came out of last night's debate: binders full of women. There have been some pretty funny discussions about it on Facebook.

Megan1982
10-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Another fairly busy week here between extra work commitments and rehearsals, same story as always. Today I have some time to regroup for the rest of the week. I let the stress get to me Monday when I had planned on starting the week fresh at the gym after not making it there for a full week, and then I had to work late and couldn't go. Yesterday I made up for it by doing an hour on the stairmaster and then taking a 5 mile wog with the dog. Part of me worries about these longer exercise jags that have started to follow a several day absence/reduced amount of exercise. Why? I guess I'm worried I'm getting compulsive, that it "sounds" strange. But really I'm not forcing anything. I'm not punishing myself. It just feels really good to do it after a few days when I can't. So, I'll go with it for now.

Allison, I love Dagmar's advice. Trying to train my dog I read a lot of the dog whisperer's advice about how you need to be firm and calm, animals sense your emotions. I started giving the dog firm, confident commands. She still doesn't listen that well. It spilled over into other areas of my life. I started giving my BF firm, confident commands. He obeys. ;) Good luck trapping your kitty.

Bargoo, how great you got just the haircut you wanted! Love it when that happens. :D

Bill, earthquake, scary! I have enough trouble with the house shaking during hurricane force winds.

Did I tell you guys that I'm an aunt again? My niece Eleanor ("Nora") was born two weeks ago. My DS and her DH were worried about how their 2-year-old daughter would react, but she is enamored. I probably won't get to meet her until Christmas, which I'm sort of sad about. I know I've said it before, though I like where I live, I wish I was closer to my family, too.

Have a good day all!

alinnell
10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Allison, I love Dagmar's advice. Trying to train my dog I read a lot of the dog whisperer's advice about how you need to be firm and calm, animals sense your emotions. I started giving the dog firm, confident commands. She still doesn't listen that well. It spilled over into other areas of my life. I started giving my BF firm, confident commands. He obeys. Good luck trapping your kitty.

I've always been firm with my commands to dogs. "Sit!" or "Drop IT!" and it usually gets done. My DH tends to be more lenient with "sit?" or "drop it?" They just look at him like "what do you mean?"

alinnell
10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150174_10151204045659295_77598591_n.jpg

For Bill

CherryPie99
10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
OMG that is HYSTERICAL!! I love it!

So 6 months ago today I was still in surgery having my excess skin removed. In some ways it feels like forever ago and in some ways it feels like I just had it done!

I just finished doing a DVD that my s-i-l bought me for my b-day and I haven't had a chance to try. It's a Cathe Friedrich. I guess she is well known but I had never heard of her! The DVD was CrossFire and it was pretty intense, cardio and body weight training wise. Felt good.

DH and I are throwing caution to the wind and are going to have the kitchen done. We are saving a little money by taking down the cabinets and demolishing down to the studs ourselves and I will paint after the contractor installs the drywall. It's a LOT of money, but I hope it will be worth it.

I am nervous that we won't have a kitchen to cook in for 2 weeks! I certainly don't want to eat out every night!!

Hope everyone else is doing great!

Jen

BillBlueEyes
10-17-2012, 03:04 PM
LMAO at the Maine Earthquake cartoon. Thanks for making my day.

Sheila53
10-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Jen, when we had our kitchen remodeled, I set up a toaster oven, microwave (both purchased on Craigslist for $10 and resold for $10 after the remodel) and crockpot in the dining room, which is where I put the refrigerator. My DH washed dishes in the bathroom. During the 3 weeks it took to remodel the kitchen, we ate out once. Managed to maintain my weight loss also so it was a win-win. Sadly, though, we had to move soon after unexpectedly so I could only enjoy my kitchen for a few months. Good luck with the remodel--it will be worth it.

Mudpie
10-18-2012, 06:29 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150174_10151204045659295_77598591_n.jpg

For Bill

LOL. I was standing on the beach for our "earthquake" last year. One of the dogwalkers very excitedly entered the off leash area and asked if we had felt the earthquake? Huh? Not even a small vibration. She had just come from a client's house 4 blocks away where books had been falling off the shelf.

Dagmar ;)

Mudpie
10-18-2012, 06:33 AM
Boy this house ownership/sale thing is huge. I know most of you have done this (some of you several times) but this is my first time selling a house and I'm finding out a whole bunch of stuff I didn't know.

Like how I'd better talk to an accountant now, rather than pay a bunch of tax next income tax time. Somehow, since I was "given" the house I didn't regard its sale as "income". Whoops!

Dagmar :?:

Megan1982
10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I have to confess, I have not been eating close to my desired "losing weight" plan lately. Every day I plan to change that, and every day I fail, and as a consequence I'm too chicken to step on the scale. Long-term goals are just not in the cards for me right now, it seems, so I'm going for day-to-day. Today I will not eat any sweets or junk food. Not only do they not help my stress, or make me feel better, they are bad for my already high cholesterol levels! Yes. :yes:

I made Barbara's recipe for Moroccan Chickpea Chili with Chicken (page 3 of the "Our Favorite Recipes" sticky) a few days ago and I give it 2 thumbs up! I've been paging through the thread to look for some cooking inspiration. This is yummy, fast, and full of veggies. It's definitely going into the rotation. I have been loving baked kale chips lately, though since I make big batches so I'll have leftovers, the texture changes a bit and it's more like a roasted kale salad by the time I get to it for lunches. I can never quite get the kale totally dehydrated without burning it. What healthy foods have you been eating lately? My usual rotation has gotten pretty stale and I'm looking for ideas.

Jen, I like Sheila's ideas to eat OP during your remodel. Once when my stove/oven was broken and my landlord took over a month to replace it, a friend loaned me an electric plug-in two-burner unit. That and the microwave were lifesavers as we also didn't want to eat out constantly. How about a toaster oven? Perhaps a tupperware tote would be helpful to set up a dish "sink" in the bathroom tub, or as much as I hate them, paper plates and plastic forks. I'm sure you'll love your new kitchen when it's done!

Dagmar, GL with the house sale. I don't know anything about that either.

Krampus, hang in there!

Have a good Thursday all! :)

CherryPie99
10-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Sheila and Megan, thanks for the ideas! I think we will be able to set our microwave up in the dining room and I don't have a toaster oven, but I do have a slow cooker, so that would probably fit and I could cook a couple of slow cooker meals - maybe even a double batch so we can have leftovers as the fridge can be pushed into an adjacent bathroom.

I also realized that we can use our grill! Geez - given all that I have NO excuse for not eating right!!

On another note, I've noticed that since I made the promises last week to be good to myself and try to have a little more fun that DH and I are getting along better. So must be that my attitude and behavior is reflecting the changes I am trying to make!

Jen

ICUwishing
10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Couple victories, couple setbacks - and stinkin' busy!
Shower walls were supposed to be installed Tuesday - they were on their way in with the big back panel, and I said, "Hold on - why are they smooth?" Right color, right gloss - wrong texture. An error had been made with the order (not mine), but lesson learned AGAIN - always get a written copy of the final order, and get both parties to initial and date that it is correct. 2 1/2 weeks to reorder. Deeeeep breaths. I'm laying the floor tomorrow and I sincerely hope that goes off without a hitch. Each step gets us just a little further. It's possible that the electrician might be in tomorrow as well, and that would be a major upper.

I'm more or less struggling with everything BUT food these days. There's annual evaluations at work, special projects with end of month deadlines, the house re-siding due to start in a few weeks, concert season ramping up for both of DS13's choirs, getting him registered for high school, soccer, an overdue essay (mine), a faucet I still haven't replaced yet, DS13's laptop "slam" -his ditzy parents lost the administrator password ... and oh yeah, I still have not set foot in the pool. It's that grim state where the only possibility is to just forge ahead, mindlessly knocking items off the list because there's no time to do the forecasting/planning. It's only a matter of time before something BIG falls through the cracks.

I'm done whining. :) I think if I can just make it to the middle of November ... I'll save a couple of vacation days and just not get out of bed.

Shannon in ATL
10-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Becky - I think you are doing a great job with all the balls that you have in the air right now. Hopefully nothing big will fall through the cracks on you. :crossed:

Dagmar - yes, proceeds from the sale of a house are income. I think that if you turn those proceeds into a new house purchase within a certain number of months you don't pay taxes on it, at least down here. Not sure about the details though.

Jen - you will absolutely be able to eat well during the kitchen remodel, you will just have to be creative. LOL

Megan - I have had to go day to day for a while now, and am just now getting back into a long term planning place. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other every day and eventually the planning will come back, I promise. :) I've become fond of my crock pot - I've been making stews with quinoa as the base lately. Whatever meat I have in the house, most often frozen chicken breasts, chop up whatever veggies I have, add some chicken broth and some rotel tomatoes and some hot peppers and spices and I'm all good. I'm going to try one with butternut squash, sweet potato and quinoa this weekend I think.

:wave: to everyone else.

Hi Sheila, good to see you! I think about you every college football season when I see a shot of the big, blue field. :)

ChrisMohr
10-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Bill congrats on seeing the Dalai Lama. I had the incredible good fortune to have him stare right into me for several seconds at a press conference, incredible presence. I hope Maine rebuilds soon, that looked devastating.

Well, my weight began to creep up a bit so I dieted for four days and now I am the lightest I have been in my 29 years of marriage, about 35 1/2 pounds down! I guess maintenance is not autopilot; I started to see weight creep, dieted, got back to my goal and then beyond, and now I'm on track again.

Shannon in ATL
10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh how I wish that maintenance was autopilot for me, Chris.... :)

Mudpie
10-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Oh how I wish that maintenance was autopilot for me, Chris.... :)

IMHO anything worthwhile pursuing in life is not done on autopilot . . . and maintenance is totally worthwhile to me. It is difficult and frustrating :mad: sometimes and rewarding and joyous :dance: at others.

But I know what you mean Shannon. I wish there was a little machine I could take 5 seconds to set every morning that would keep me on plan and give me the "eating schedule" for the day. :p

Dagmar :dizzy:

WardHog
10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
I need someone to give me my two cups of kibble and walk me twice a day. I would probably go overboard on the treats for good behavior, though.

bargoo
10-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Shannon, I vote for autopilot, too. I don't see it happening, though.
Dagmar, I agree that maintenance is difficult and frustrating and , yes, it is joyous at times, too.
But it gets so tiresome thinking about food all the time.

Megan1982
10-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I had a few potato chips yesterday, and some ice cream from an office celebration. :( I will try again today.

I have often mused as I dole out my dog's food carefully how nice it would be to have that kind of control. Of course, she also eats grass, dead fish, and cat poop when she can find it, and acts as though she's starving. What does that say?

Some days I feel maintenance is on auto pilot in the sense that most of the time, it's second nature to follow my usual routine of work followed by gym and dog walking, and my "default" recipes and meals are almost all healthy ones. Of course this assumes I have the time for all that - when I don't, that often where I get into trouble. This is not one of those autopilot times, but I will get back there.

JayEll
10-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Regarding sale of a house: Because Dagmar lives in Canada, U.S. tax breaks on sale of personal residence don't apply. And besides, it isn't her personal residence, as I understand it.

Good luck, Dagmar! Good for you for consulting an accountant sooner rather than later...

alinnell
10-19-2012, 10:25 AM
But it gets so tiresome thinking about food all the time.

I rather enjoy thinking about food all the time! I often set my stumbleupon on food and cooking (or some such category) to peruse all the food blogs and other recipe sites. I downloaded Paprika for my Mac and love installing new recipes in there (which then get pushed to both kids as we share them). I love trying new recipes, too. My newest will be cauliflower "breadsticks". I think they'll be on Saturday, but not sure yet what they'll go with.

traveling michele
10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh lordy I am tired. Just another fly by for me. Last day of my exhausting book fair and then I have to pack it up, do the money and leave to go to the airport. I'm praying I can get out of here on time so I don't have a nervous breakdown. I have PTA folks coming to count the money with me so I hope they are efficient and not annoying! We do coin drives during the book fair and take in a ton of cash so it is a huge task. I'm at work again super early to get things done.

I've kissed all my fur babies and pray that the new pet sitter does great with them.

I'm driving to San Jose this afternoon, flying to Phoenix, taking a shuttle to Tucson-- arriving at 12:30 am if I'm lucky. I will be so tired.......

I'll try to check in from the airport later.

bargoo
10-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh. Allison, I love reading new recipes and trying them out, it is thinking about the calories that ruins the pleasure. I am cooking an old favorite right now, Navy Bean Soup . I am not going to add up all the ingredients and divide by the number of servings to get the calorie count. I did look on a calorie chart and found Navy Bean Soup is 340 calories per cup. Do you think I am going to stop at one cup? ? No way....but that means complaining about the scale for a few days. I just have to learn to live with these decisions, I know it will happen.

alinnell
10-19-2012, 11:28 AM
bargoo~I totally understand about the adding of calories when preparing food from scratch! I often overlook certain recipes because I can tell by one glance that they would be way too many. I do get excited when I find a recipe that fits well within my calorie range.

And I love navy bean soup--or any soup that's hearty like that. Bob's Red Mill makes a 11 or 12 bean mix that is so wonderful made with a ham hock. Impossible to even think of sticking to just one cup!

I did find a really, really good lighter soup that I've made twice now. It's an artichoke and spinach soup with chicken. It gets its heartiness from evaporated milk and cream cheese (I used non-fat on both).

bargoo
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Allison care to share your recipe for artichoke and spinach soup ? I am looking for recipes for soups as I know I don't eat enough vegies. Sorry, Campbell's I don't much care for canned soup.

alinnell
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Allison care to share your recipe for artichoke and spinach soup ? I am looking for recipes for soups as I know I don't eat enough vegies. Sorry, Campbell's I don't much care for canned soup.

I will share it when I get home. I tried to Google the one I used and can't find it.

Shannon in ATL
10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Regarding sale of a house: Because Dagmar lives in Canada, U.S. tax breaks on sale of personal residence don't apply. And besides, it isn't her personal residence, as I understand it.

Good luck, Dagmar! Good for you for consulting an accountant sooner rather than later...

Good point, Jay. I didn't finish my "don't know the details though" thought in my comment, it should have included "don't know the details though even for here, not sure if there is a similar program up there that you could look into?"

Yes Dagmar, contacting an accountant is a wise idea on the house. And I would love a little machine that spit out meals for the day for me. That would be awesome, particularly if it could base on my eating habits. I just downloaded an app that is supposed to do a little of that, but as I have to load it with stuff it is still mainly me doing it. LOL

Allison - I think about food in bursts. I pin a zillion recipes, never make any of them, wander away for awhile, then pin a zillion more.

Michele - be safe on your travels.

Ah, someone to dole out my food in small doses would be nice, too. Though like Ward, I think I would go for broke with the treats. ;)

:wave: good afternoon all!

Mudpie
10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I give out the treats quite freely to my charges. But the older and heavier dogs get theirs broken into several pieces, while the young and skinny get whole treats. And all the treats are low/lower fat. I also make sure everyone walks at least 4 - 5K during the 50 minutes they are out with me. We park quite far away from the off leash and all group walk on lead to get there and back to the car. That way the lazy and/or older dogs do get a workout, even if they choose to not do much while off leash. And I make everyone walk 2 circuits of the off leash, rather than standing aaround on the beach.

Dh has finally gotten to a weight where he is "too fat" (can't find clothes to buy at regular stores) and is starting to exercise on his own. :woohoo:. My cousin mentioned that he might be able to get DH a full time accounting job where he works (ironically he is an anaesthetist at "Slim Band" clinics) so DH has to take off some weight fast before he interviews. I will not let him off the hook for this one - he has wiggled out of several interviews with the "I'm too fat and self-conscious" story. DH needs to get a full-time job again.

alinnell
10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
I'll put this on the recipe sticky, too.

Spinach Artichoke Soup

6 to 8 servings (about 1.5 c/serving)

Ingredients

1/2 c. diced onions
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and roughly chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup dry white wine
32oz chicken broth (I used fat free, reduced sodium)
1 12oz can evaporated milk (I used fat free)
8oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 block (4 oz) of cream cheese (optional) (I used fat free)

To make

Sauté onions and garlic in oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
Add artichokes; sauté 2 minutes
Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continually
Deglaze pot with wine and simmer until nearly evaporated, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot.
Stir in broth and chicken and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, add the milk, spinach and Parmesan, and stir until spinach wilts taking care not to boil soup. Add cream cheese and stir until fully melted...if you want a lighter soup, you can leave the cream cheese out.
Season soup with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

Calories are about 1735 for the whole batch, so 217 per serving (if 8 servings). If you want larger servings (6 servings) you still won't break the bank at about 290 per serving.

bargoo
10-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Allison, thanks for the recipe, I will try it out.
I have been looking at the recipe sticky, some good sounding ideas there.

traveling michele
10-19-2012, 09:34 PM
That sounds yummy Allison!
Done with book fair and at the airport. Got here hours early but I was afraid of Friday traffic. I'm so tired I want to cry. I walked all over the airport so at least I got some movement. I just feel like eating. I bought and ate my candy of choice. I don't think I've had candy in five years. Literally.

My pet sitter texted adorable pics of my cuties. She is amazing already. She took both dogs for a walk and sent me detailed info on how they're doing!

There was an earlier flight but it was full so I have to sit. Oh well. It's a nice airport anyway. Now not to eat anymore. If I'm tempted, I have snacks.

Mudpie
10-20-2012, 06:41 AM
I've given up the battle against the Halloween chocolates. I am so tired and anxious all the time and the car accident and subsequent fallout from that, on top of all the house selling stuff and funeral planning and work and everything else has left me eating chocolates in the evening and not really caring about it.

I am going to allow myself to let the diet and maintenance go until the end of October. I have so many plates spinning in the air (and a few of those crashing to the ground already) that one more is overwhelming.

See you all in November.

Dagmar :faint:

bargoo
10-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Dagmar, did I miss that your father had passed away ? You mention funeral planning, are you referring to him ?

saef
10-20-2012, 09:25 AM
I wondered that, too, but Bargoo, when my father was dying, the hospice workers urged us to do the planning ahead of time.

A neighbor sat with him when we visited the funeral home, because this was the only time that both of us left him alone at the same time. We were gone two hours, all of it spent talking with the funeral director. He was upset by this and tried to call my mother's cellphone, but she'd turned it off.

My father died the very next morning.

ChrisMohr
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Good luck Dagmar and we will miss you! Wishing you and yours peace in this extremely rough time. We hope you'll be easy on yourself because in times like this life has not been easy to you.
On a lighter note, I've been amused that my "maintenance isn't autopilot" comment got so many responses. What I'm learning is that we can't vote on whether maintenance can be autopilot or not. If we could vote, I would vote for a steamed kale/cauliflour/broccoli dish that tastes and feels exactly like a chocolate hot fudge brownie sundae!
Truth is, maintenance is hard. I look at all the challenges so many of us face even with all the support we're getting here. Yesterday I was perfect and the scale showed me gaining a pound and a half! Then I get bummed out and want to say to **** with it. I still fight chocolate cravings.
Today I read that 50 million people are going on a diet this year, and only 10% of them maintain their weight loss. That's because it's hard to do. For once I want to be in that 10% like my wife has been for 29 years! And I'm writing obvious things in my posts because I have to learn them for myself. "Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." --Admiral Hyman Rickover. And "with a little help from my friends." --Ringo Starr

bargoo
10-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree maintenace is hard IMO harder than losing. That has been my story over the years, I could lose but I couldn't keep it off. I have been more succesful this time and I attribute this to the support and motivation I get from 3FC members. Thanks, everybody for your wise counsel.

BillBlueEyes
10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Sending supportive thoughts, Dagmar, for all the plates in the air and raw emotions abounding.

If it's possible, consider just reading the two maintenance threads so that you can hear our unwavering support as you plow through rough times.

Mudpie
10-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Sorry should have been clearer - my dad is still with us. Called my house today and demanded that I "get him out of this mess I've put him in". I assume that means the process of dying? - :lol: and SIGH.

I am pre-planning while there's money in my father's account to cover the costs. I barely made it - $96 left over after a pretty basic cremation plan. I'm so glad he paid for the niche for his urn years ago - that would have sent me far far into debt had he not.

Thanks dad! :p

I will read when I can - thanks everyone!

alinnell
10-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Maintenance is hard! Just as hard as losing, or even more so.

Tonight I'm tackling a new recipe. Not that I'm gluten intolerant, but I don't like how high in calories bread and pasta is. I know how good zucchini is in lieu of spaghetti or lasagna, so tonight I'm making bread sticks out of cauliflower. It isn't a huge savings due to all the mozzarella cheese in it (as well as eggs, so probably a bit high in fat, too). Hope it works.

Tomorrow I'm doing a chuck roast in the crock pot, roasted green beans and a butternut squash tart that I saw on Epicurious that sounded divine.

ChrisMohr
10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
alinell that does sound DELICIOUS!

traveling michele
10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Yum Allison. What time should we be there?

I'm hanging out in the student union with dd's iPad. Older dd and dh left to drive from Tucson to Phoenix and then fly to Spokane. I'm staying in Tucson till tomorrow then I will take a shuttle to Phoenix and fly home.

Yesterday I went to a Mormon baptism and this morning we are going to church. I had to buy a new dress last night so my shoulders won't show! I found a cute dress on sale for $25 that I can wear to work as well. After church I'm hoping to check out the hotel gym as I'm feeling quite puffy from eating off plan and no exercise for a few days.

Happy Sunday to all!

I'm thinking strong positive thoughts for you, Dagmar.

alinnell
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Anytime anyone wants to visit, let me know and I'll have all the ingredients waiting to make the soup!

Michele~I'm flying into Phoenix on Friday for the Phoenix Jazz Festival. The headliner is Jamie Foxx and the Phoenix Philharmonic. Should be a fun weekend.

Waiting on my in-laws who are currently at an adoption event. They lost their cat last summer and are looking to rescue a new cat or kitten. I think they were hoping to adopt Cully, but I think he's much too wild. Had we been able to trap him when he was much younger, I think it would have worked.

I have a roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I'll roast some green beans to go with it and then I'm making a butternut squash tart as a side. It sounded really interesting and good.

alinnell
10-21-2012, 07:52 PM
I am really, really mad right now.

Last April I purchased tickets to see The Book of Mormon at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. I've been there only once before and it is such a beautiful venue. I paid close to $2000 for the tickets for the six of us to go.

A couple months ago I contacted the Pantages Theater to see when I'd get the tickets. I was told they would be sent within 2 weeks of the show (which is November 3rd).

I just got a phone call from "Ticket Software" which said that they could not contact the seller of my tickets (purchased from itickets.com) and that I should contact my credit card company and open a dispute.

I did all that (thankfully American Express and they are wonderful to work with). But it appears that I won't get my tickets and I won't be able to see the show that we've all been looking forward to. So upset. So disappointed. So mad.

bargoo
10-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Allison that is pretty crummy, Is there any explanation why they can't get your tickets to you ? Did they oversell ? I imagine they have had no trouble using your $2000 for the past few months I would be mad, too.