Weight Loss Surgery - If you're on the fence about WLS

View Full Version : If you're on the fence about WLS

christyk28
10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I highly recommend it! I'm only a week and 1/2 post surgery but it has been the best decision I have EVER made. I feel so much better and seeing the results is the absolute best! I just wanted to share this :) I started my weight loss # from the day I started the liquid diet for surgery & I am down 41 lbs! I know that when researching you can get some if the negative feed back and I just wanted to put some positive out there :)

jiffypop
10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
keep up the good work, christy -

christyk28
10-14-2012, 10:24 PM
I totally understand! I've already decided if I do become that way I'm giving it to a relative or friend and have to go to their house to weigh lol. I'm making Sundays my "official" weigh in day so we'll see how it goes lol. Congrats on your loss so far :) can't wait to hear what it is when you go back to the doc :)

KateB
10-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Christy
Congratulations on your success. your posts just make me more excited for my upcoming surgery. How long pre-op were you on a liquid diet? I meant to ask this at my last appointment, but forgot.

christyk28
10-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Lol thanks!! & even though I already had my surgery I'm still excited about it lol. I was on my pre op liquid diet for a week. I think that's what most are but I think there are some that are 2 weeks. They'll defiantly let you know before hand. The interesting thing I learned is the purpose if the liquid diet is to shrink your liver before hand so they can move it easily to get to your stomach. And if you don't it makes your surgery longer.

KateB
10-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I didn't know that about the liver either.

I am a planner...I so wish I had a surgery date. Right now it is "sometime mid to late December." I am not good at one step at a time. Give me ALL the details and let me deal with them as I chose!

TIARA
10-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Thanks for posting i am considering a wls but with all the info out there im not so sure. after reading this i believe im going to take the first step and talk to my doctor and go from there and see if its right for me.

just a question how long did it take from meeting your doctor to the actual surgery date. i read somewhere that it took someone a year to get everything to go through with hers? thanks im just curious

Zeitgeist
10-16-2012, 05:40 AM
It took me about 13-14 months, but I am atypical.

My insurance had a 6 month waiting period/supervised diet requirement, but my surgical center had a weight loss requirement of 40lbs. It took me a year to lose those lbs, even using Medifast products.

I think for most people the process is closer to 6 months. Depending upon your center/insurance requirements, there can be a lot of medical checks, but most seem to finish them within 6 months.

TIARA
10-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Zeitgeist... thanks for the info..

christyk28
10-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover it so I was a self pay (had to get a loan) so mine was only about 2 months.

TIARA
10-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks for answering my question, ive decided to give it one last go at dieting and exercising and if i fail i will go to my dr's and figure out my options.

jiffypop
10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
you have to make the decision that's right FOR YOU. just want to leave you with this thought: one of the main reasons i had the surgery was NOT to lose the weight. I know that i could have done it ONE MORE TIME on some medifast-type diet. I had surgery so that i would have the best possible chance of KEEPING IT OFF. I needed my life back - in so many ways - including to stop being obsessive about every single thing i put in my mouth [or didn't, as the case may be].

while you're doing the diet and exercise thing, keep an eye on your emotions and how they affect your eating [either way!]. It'll help you no matter which road you go.

christyk28
10-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Yep! Totally agree with jiffy! If you do decide to do it though we'll be here for ya :)

KateB
10-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Tiara-
I have not had surgery...yet. One thing you might want to think about before giving it one more try is this: Most insurance companies require you to be on a doctor supervised weight loss plan for 6 months before you have surgery. I would reccoment seeing your doctor and start the surgery process, if you get a surgery date (which for hasn't happened yet and I have been on the doctor supervised plan for over 4 months, you can push it back and see how it goes for you. I have been consistantly losing approximately 3 pouns a week for the past 17 weeks. But even if I keep it up at that rate for the full six months, I will still be obese. I too like Jiffy, have lose weight many times. I want to give myself the best possible chance of keeping the weight off. I need an additional tool to help me achieve that.

Just my 2 cents.

christyk28
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I like your 2 cents Kate :)

Sleepy
10-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I have my first after surgery doctors appointment today...it's been five weeks and I lost 22 lbs. it's been a hard month..I struggled with no weight loss for three weeks which was emotionally challenging. So my first month was not as I thought it would be and thoughts of making a mistake was frequent. But! Since my energy level rose I'm feeling hundred times better and those negative thoughts were turned into high positive ones and I love it. I know now it's the best decission I made for my future and I am optimistic about it :)

christy congrAts for you weight loss and keep it up!

I think everyone should realise all the positive and negative feed backs and get prepared for the surgery well.

In my country it takes about a year and a half to get through with everything. Insurance pays everyone whos BMI is 40 or higher and it covers skin removal operation afterwards.

Good luck everyone who is stll waiting!

christyk28
10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Lol you would think that about the breast feeding...that's kinda weird..have you talked to your doctor?

I weigh myself every Sunday and I only lost 3 lbs & was a bit disappointed but I had been traveling and my Tom was here so I hope it's much better this week.

Have any of y'all started working out? I'm going to start working on my couch to 5k hopefully this week. This coming summer I'm doing a color run and I want to be good & prepared for it lol. But a childhood friend that played pro football moved back to town & is going to be my personal trainer and I'm sooo excited! I'm waiting till I'm down 100 though cause I feel that's where I'll feel comfortable doing that hard if a work out at. I'm really wanting to become the athlete I think I am in my head lol

Merissa2011
10-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh wow. Its so nice to come across this forum at this time in my life! Congrats ChristyK, please keep us posted on your journey.

2 years ago I hit my highest weight ever - 302. I freaked out when I saw 300, but apparently not 200, go figure and decided to pursue wls. I had originally gone in for lapband, and was convinced to do rny. Well they told me to lose 15 lbs before surgery, and I lost 50 therefore I opted out of the surgery believing I could do it on my own. I'm know there are people out there who can lose it on their own, but 2 years later I've realized I can't. I was stuck around 250 for the past 2 years, and recently started gaining.

I know where this is headed. I dont want my 30s (around the corner) to be the same as my 20s. An uphill losing battle with weight gain which made me miss out on me enjoying life. So I made the decision in the past week to pursue wls surgery again, and this time with a wls that I've researched and am comfortable with, not one I am pushed into a corner for as was the case with RNY. I've decided to go with VSG.

Having decided that, I'm re-starting the whole process and I'm sure it will take some time to do the appts, meetings, check ups, but am so happy to have found this forum and be re-united with 3fc again too :) I'm assuming I'll be having my surgery in the next couple of months, it will be nice to keep in touch and go through the process with other people on here.

I'm a big ensnared web of emotions right now, scared, happy, embarrassed, anxious, nervous, excited. Arghh!!!

christyk28
10-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Merissa I am right there with ya! I'll be 32 and that is a huge reason why I decided to do it. I was so tired of sitting on the sidelines of life and wanted to jump in so badly! I wouldn't travel because I was embarrassed to get on a plane so if I did travel I drove lol or I wouldn't go to things just because I didn't feel comfortable (which isn't me at all!). And I realized I had missed out on so much more (i.e. dating) because of this and I was so over it. When I decided to do it I made a mental bucket list of things I wanted to take part in and running a 5k is one and doing a color run is another. Once I'm down 100 lbs I'm going to throw myself back out there into the dating world (and I'm scared to death about it but I'm going to do it lol) and see what happens.

Your journey is going to be amazing and we are all here to help if you need us! That was a huge reason I came back to 3fc because I had been a part of it before and the friends I made on here helped me sooooo much that I needed that this time around also. It's nice to be able a place that everyone understands whats going on and can converse with about it.

Merissa2011
10-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Christy - yay! Thank you! Lol I look fwd to reading everyone's wls journey on here - the good, the bad the ugly and the freaking awesome parts ;-)

jiffypop
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
congrats on making a decision, Merissa. the outcomes with VSG are looking pretty darned good, and if it becomes necessary LATER [much], a malabsorption component can be added.

it's definitely a roller coaster, but change ALWAYS is!!!

KateB
10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Merissa-I sweat i could have written a lot of your first post myself. I talked to my doc about LapBand and they don't offer it at my clinic. The more I looked into LapBand the less I wanted it. I have decided on RNY. I am in the insurance required 6 month dr supervised diet phase. I have lost 50 pounds in 17 week.

Two weeks ago my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Today we got his surgery date, December 7th. I was hoping for a December surgery date, now it looks like I may have to postpone my surgery. At lunch today DH and I were discussing if I push my surgery back 2 months maybe I will lose enough and not need the surgery. I am trying to decide if this is just fear trying to talk me out of surgery. I choose the surgical options because it gives me the best chance to keep the weight off once I lose it. I have lost weight before. I just can't seem to keep it off.

I know that I will continue with the process. A December surgery date has not been set yet anyhow. If I get a date in December I will just have to see how DH is doing. I know that I will do whatever it takes to get to my goal and maintain my goal.

jiffypop
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
oh kate - so sorry about your husband. i hope everything goes well. please keep us posted... as for you losing weight and keeping it off, there's a lot that goes into that decision. as you noted, just because you can lose it, doesn't mean it'll stay off. think very carefully about this. and don't make any final decisions until you are absolutely convinced that you're doing the right thing [no matter what your choice is.]

hugs!!

christyk28
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Kate I'm so sorry! I agree with jiffy! Keep us updated on everything (you AND him) I'll keep y'all in my prayers!!

KateB
10-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you both! I have not given up the ide of WLS. But it does have to be postpone for a bit. Right now I am thinking February will be a better time given all te things that we have going on in December. We just can't both be recovering, not to mention unable to drive for any amount of time. january 26th is my companies holiday party. If I already have to push the date back I have decided to do it after the party. I am not worried about handling food for that night. But we do like to toss a few back and have a good time. My logic (however illogical it my sound) is to have a good time at this years party, by the time next years party rolls around I will be in good shape to enjoy that too. My insurance required 6 month diet period won't be done until December 14th. Doctors won't let hubby drive until after his pre-op on December 27th. I highly doubt I can get a surgery date between December 28 and Dec 31. So at this time I looking at February.

We are no stranger to medical issues, 1993 hubby had open heart surgery, 1998 he had a stroke in May of 2010 he had his right hip replaced in August of 2010 the left hip was replaced. For the record he had NEVER been over weight. After his heart surgery he was told by his cardiologist to gain 10 pounds. He is now the heaviest he has ever been at a whopping 165 pounds, he's 5' 11"! Just got dealt a crappy hand when it comes to his health. We will get through this!

joefla70
10-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I have considered WLS for a while, but have never been able to bring myself to do it. I don't know exactly what it is that worries me about it. I think its several things: 1) Trepidations over having the surgery itself and the permanency of the gastric bypass; 2) the cost (not covered by my insurance; 3) the fact that several of my friends have had it years ago and have put back on most of their weight since; and 4) the nagging question in my mind of whether I can do it on my own - and keep it off permanently. My pride tells me that I SHOULD be able to do it. But until recently, my life experience has said otherwise.

I know that if it was just a matter of cost, that wouldn't stop me. I know its too important to lose the weight to let that stop me. If I had to, I'd get a loan to do the surgery. So, I think its really the fear of the surgery and whether it would actually be a permanent solution. I know myself. In my current weight loss I have to be very mindful of portion control, because I will eat past the point of being full -- if I am eating something that I really like, such as Chinese food, Italian food, pizza, burgers, and junk food. However, on my diet, tend not to overeat like that because I don't have an uncontrollable appetite for foods like veggies and grilled chicken. :)

While I am doing very well on my current diet plan, I have lost weight before -- and then put it back on and then some. I am afraid that will happen again, although I know that I cannot afford to let it happen. If I knew the WLS would be a silver bullet against the weight, and I would never have to worry about it again, I would do it. But since I know I am going to have to make a big effort to lose and maintain anyway, I am trying to do it on my own first. I hope this works, otherwise I will be seriously re-evaluating the WLS!

Sleepy
10-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Kate I am so sorry to hear that. Hope everything will turned out ok for both of you!

Sleepy
10-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Joefla...you know what...I believe everyone is in this constant battle about being able to do it yourself...everyone was. My doctor told me a couple of years ago I should consider a surgery but I told her I was gonna try it once more. And yes I struggled, suffered, was dieting, working out for three months and lost 33 lb. in three months and I still needed to lose another 120 lb. i couldn't do it and finally gained 50 lbs back..so this february I had enough. If I wasn't able to do it in the last 20 years there is small chance I gonna do it in the next 20 years.
But you shouldn't do it if you are not going to turn your life around. Gaining weight back after having the surgery is at least for me unforgivable.

It is not an easy decision and you should do what feels best for you. Hope you will manage this time ;) I myself am sorry I tried that last time and lost another three years. But thats just me :)

KateB
10-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I have lost significant amounts of weight on my own at least 4 times in my life. By significant I mean 75 pounds or more. BUT...i have always regained it PLUS more.

Quite honestly in April of 2012, I was having a conversation with a group of friends and I actually said, "I would NEVER do that", in reguards to WLS. In late May I started thinking about LapBand, in June I called my doctor to discuss LapBand I found out my doctor doesn't offer it and why. I did more research and more talking with people. Some time in there it just "clicked" with me.

I still do not have a surgery date. I also still have days where I freak out and think, "Do I REALLY want to do this?" Then I make a list or look at old lists I've made about WHY I want to do this.

I KNOW that this isn't a magic bullet and I KNOW it will still be work. But I do feel it givesme the best chance and an effective tool to keep the weight off. Sure I worry about living within the restrictions of surgery, but I think I can do it.

But this is how I feel about ME having surgery. It is a very personal life changing decision and it is not one that should be made without a lot of thought and preparation.

I also think that everyone who has lost weight is somewhere in the back of their minds worried about putting it back on again. As far as the "I SHOULD be able to this myself" thoughts...I can TOTALLY relate! Sometimes I feel like having surgery is equivalent to admitting I am weak. but really it is a HUGE step and a HUGE commitment and something that will change my life, so when I look at it that way, it doesn't look like "the easy way out"!

christyk28
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Agree sleepy!

jiffypop
10-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Kate - it sounds like you and your husband face EVERYTHING in life as a team - and that means a lot. You'll both get through this rough patch. It makes sense to be able to relax and enjoy your company party. If you had surgery at the end of December, you'd be just starting to eat real food.

Joefla - one thing that stands out from your post is the concept of 'diet.' From what I've seen, most people who succeed at losing weight and keeping it off tend to view their eating and exercise habits as the way they live, rather than as a regimen that they do sometimes and not others.

That's the way it is with WLS. It's not punishment for being 'bad.' It's a complete, enforced lifestyle change. People who don't keep most of their weight off after surgery are usually trying to figure out how to get around the surgery instead of working on living with it.

So, take your time with this. Don't have the surgery until [and unless] you decide that it's the right choice for you. In the meantime, it looks like you're doing a great job. The biggest challenge, as we all know, will be keeping it off. We're with you - either way.

Merissa2011
11-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Merissa-I sweat i could have written a lot of your first post myself. ... I know that I will do whatever it takes to get to my goal and maintain my goal.

KateB - I'm so sorry to hear that. Good luck with pursuing WLS and hope your hubbs gets better soon!!!! Plus I'm the same way about an upcoming event--- to get it before or after, that is the question lol.

Merissa2011
11-01-2012, 07:56 PM
congrats on making a decision, Merissa. the outcomes with VSG are looking pretty darned good, and if it becomes necessary LATER [much], a malabsorption component can be added.

it's definitely a roller coaster, but change ALWAYS is!!!

Thank you Jiffy!

Merissa2011
11-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I have considered WLS for a while, but have never been able to bring myself to do it. I don't know exactly what it is that worries me about it. I think its several things: 1) Trepidations over having the surgery itself and the permanency of the gastric bypass; 2) the cost (not covered by my insurance; 3) the fact that several of my friends have had it years ago and have put back on most of their weight since; and 4) the nagging question in my mind of whether I can do it on my own - and keep it off permanently. My pride tells me that I SHOULD be able to do it. But until recently, my life experience has said otherwise.

I know that if it was just a matter of cost, that wouldn't stop me. I know its too important to lose the weight to let that stop me. If I had to, I'd get a loan to do the surgery. So, I think its really the fear of the surgery and whether it would actually be a permanent solution. I know myself. In my current weight loss I have to be very mindful of portion control, because I will eat past the point of being full -- if I am eating something that I really like, such as Chinese food, Italian food, pizza, burgers, and junk food. However, on my diet, tend not to overeat like that because I don't have an uncontrollable appetite for foods like veggies and grilled chicken. :)

While I am doing very well on my current diet plan, I have lost weight before -- and then put it back on and then some. I am afraid that will happen again, although I know that I cannot afford to let it happen. If I knew the WLS would be a silver bullet against the weight, and I would never have to worry about it again, I would do it. But since I know I am going to have to make a big effort to lose and maintain anyway, I am trying to do it on my own first. I hope this works, otherwise I will be seriously re-evaluating the WLS!

Joefla - Good luck to you, sincerely. Its really hard, and if you can do it on your own, more power to you! I am the same way, just some people who have gotten wls have gained it, others havent. I really believe something has to change, something more than the anatomy of your stomach for it to work long term. I hope that happens within me, and it turns out successful for me as well as everyone else!

Merissa2011
11-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Joefla...you know what...I believe everyone is in this constant battle about being able to do it yourself...everyone was. My doctor told me a couple of years ago I should consider a surgery but I told her I was gonna try it once more. And yes I struggled, suffered, was dieting, working out for three months and lost 33 lb. in three months and I still needed to lose another 120 lb. i couldn't do it and finally gained 50 lbs back..so this february I had enough. If I wasn't able to do it in the last 20 years there is small chance I gonna do it in the next 20 years.
But you shouldn't do it if you are not going to turn your life around. Gaining weight back after having the surgery is at least for me unforgivable.

It is not an easy decision and you should do what feels best for you. Hope you will manage this time ;) I myself am sorry I tried that last time and lost another three years. But thats just me :)

) Sleepy - this is very similar to what happened to me! I keep thinking I can do it on my own. I feel like I'm walking on Black ICE. Slipping and sliding back and forth on the numbers on the scale. I really hope it works. When did you get your surgery, and how are you feeling so far? ( sorry if this is redundant

Sleepy
11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I had my surgery on 17th September, seven weeks back. I'm feeling ok..I'm at the stage of learning what to eat and how much. Otherwise everything is ok, had no complication as far as thesurgery itself goes.

Merissa2011
11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
ChristyK - its been a little over a month since your surgery! Congrats! Pls update us... me :) How are you feeling, whats going on with ya?

christyk28
11-08-2012, 11:03 PM
hey merissa! I'm doing good! I've lost 52 lb's :) I feel really good but right now I'm having to work with relearning to eat slow lol. I got moved to soft foods and i do good and then all of a sudden it hits me and it feels like it's sitting in my throat lol. Then I end up spitting it up. I never thought I was going to be one of those that would do that but I've defiantly been more conscious of how fast I'm eating and how big of a bite I'm taking. Have any of ya'll had this happen? But other than all that I'm feeling amazing! My dad is now going to have the surgery done!! That is huge! Cause I wasn't sure if he would. He's going with a different doctor though because I'm just not sure about him traveling to Dallas (it's 6 hrs from here) to have it done like I did. Anywho lol....How are all of ya'll?

Merissa2011
11-09-2012, 11:50 AM
ChristyK - that is huge news and a huge loss! Congrats! I'm really excited for you. If you don't mind me asking what was your highest weight, and what was your weight the day of the operation?

Even during this pre-op phase, I'm eating proteins first, veggies second. I"m supposed to chew like 20 times and take about 30+ mins to finish a meal... it takes me like 10-15. Yikes I'm going to have to work on that!! Thanks for sharing!

Also, not to freak you out, and this might not happen to you. But my friend got sleeved, and around the 3-4 week mark, she wasn't losing 1-2 lbs a day as she had been and she was really agitated. I hear there is a stall usually between the 1st and 2nd month. I wanted to give you the heads up lol that its a normal possibility...but hopefully you wont have one! lol :) ( this is something complained about on the sleeve forums and on obesity help)

PS>>>>>>>> Has anyone else experienced this?