Weight Loss Support - What is YOUR weight loss method of choice?

HappyFitLife18
10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
What weight loss plan does everyone follow? I see some awesome successes on this page and am very insprired by all of you :) I find it interesting to see what route everyone chooses when it comes to weight loss.

LockItUp
10-13-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm a calorie counter. I prefer the site myfitnesspal for tracking.

KatMarie
10-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Calorie counting and I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible.

HappyFitLife18
10-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I like myfitnesspal, too :). I have done low carb for a while but I am thinking of starting to tweak a little and do a low-er carb plan but with counting cals and I also eat only very minimal processed foods.

geoblewis
10-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I do a combination of things, mostly due to health reasons. I am type 2 diabetic, PCOS, menopausal and I have food sensitivites. I'm not on any medication for anything. I eat a very low carb version of the Paleolithic diet and I combine that with intermittent fasting. When I stick to it, I can really control my blood sugar, which seems to be what drives my weight loss.

I also do Pilates four to five times a week, weight training split routines six days a week and cardio three days a week. Weight is not melting off me quickly but I'm okay with that as long as my skin keeps shrinking!

kaplods
10-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a bit of dieter's ADD, so whenever I get bored, I change plans. Over the course of my weight loss "this time," I've probably used at least half a dozen distinct plans, and at least a couple dozen variations of those plans: Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, Weight Watcher's points, WW Core...

Usually I ended up translating/converting the basic plans into an exchange plan or some other form of calorie counting/estimating (if that isn't already a component of the plan), because I've been dieting so long, it's second nature to do so. I especially like converting the WOE's into exchange plans, because it makes it easier to compare the effectiveness between plans.

For example, if I hadn't converted low-carb into an 1800 calorie exchange plan, I would have never learned that I lose as well or better on an 1800 calorie exchange plan than on a 1500 calorie high carb plan (and I'm a lot less hungry too - in fact I'm hungrier on 3000 calories of high-carb than on 1000 calories of low-carb).

Right now, I'm taking a break from exchange plans to try "The Simple Diet" from the book, The Simple Diet: A Doctor's Science-Based Plan by
James W. Anderson and Nancy J. Gustafson (a doctor and a dietitian).

The plan is based on meal replacement shakes, prepackaged dinners, supplemented with at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (fruits and veggies are unlimited, but the reader is encouraged to monitor food choices and progress to determine whether they're overeating on-program foods).

In a perfect world, I would follow a paleo diet all of the time, because I do think it's the healthiest for me. However, I also am a pragmatist, and when my life gets very busy, I start making compromises and The Simple Diet for me is one of those compromises. I was so burnt out on planning, preparing, and calculating my food choices, that I found myself "rebelling" by eating off-plan way too often (and drastically off-plan foods). When I find myself eating off-plan frequently and find my weight loss stalling as a result) that's a pretty good indication that it's time to change plans.

Ironically, I think I'm actually eating as well or better with the shakes and prepackaged meals, because I'm selecting the meals carefully, and bulking them up with a lot more low-calorie freggies (I love that term for fruits and veggies).

I'm even making many of the meals myself (and most of the shakes) from scratch, they're just preportioned and in the freezer. And my homemade dinners are pretty paleo-friendly, so I'm still being influenced by the paleo principles.

Boredom has always been one of my biggest weight loss obstacles, and I've finally come to realize it's easier to work with my distractibility than to try to overcome it. So when I need variety, I add variety - and I don't worry too much about whether it's the "perfect" plan, because chances are I'm not going to stick with it very long.

I found that you don't have to find something you can stick to, in order to lose weight - you just have to stick to whatever you're trying now. It isn't changing plans that destroys weight loss, it's the "vacation" we tend to take between plans that is deadly, because when we are bored with one plan, we usually don't jump into a new one, we take a "break" from dieting first (and usually gain during these breaks, so we end up starting over rather than moving on to something else).

Garnet2727
10-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I do Weight Watchers Online and I count calories using My Fitness Pal.

LockItUp
10-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I have a bit of dieter's ADD, so whenever I get bored, I change plans.

I do this as well. While I (almost) always count calories, I have done several different types of things this time around. Right now I'm doing low carb, high protein, low fat, low calorie (it's temporary). I've done intermittent fasting (kind of still do). I've done South Beach. I've tried higher carb. Tried vegetarian for a very short time. I've tried eating only whole foods. I've tried eating total crap food as long as it's in my calorie limit. I am kind of all over the place as far as the actual food the makes up my calories. I've taken 2 breaks from counting calories over the past 7/8 months too, but not for more than 4 weeks at a time. Calorie counting has been the only consistent thing through out, everything else has been all over the place.

masterptr
10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't follow any plan but I write down everything I eat and keep track of calories that way.
I run and/or walk daily to burn calories.

Beck
10-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Calorie counter, nutrient dense whole foods, no meat (only fish such as salmon, tuna, rainbow trout). I run, walk, swim, lift weights, and all sorts of other physical activity to keep fit.

heathermichigan
10-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I eat a 1,500 calorie carb/fat/protein controlled diet from my nutritionist (so I count grams of all of those pretty much), drink lots of water, and work out on an elliptical as much as possible.
(1,800 when I was at my heavier weight...and may need to take it down as I get smaller....)

freelancemomma
10-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Calorie counting (or rather estimating), not much meat, mostly home-cooked food, evenly balanced meals and snacks (about 500 cals each), mainly aerobic exercising 4 times per week.

F.

Em Coconut
10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
I count calories - I go max 1500 a day. And light exercise every day. It's the only thing that works for me. Have tried other things with no success, low carb for example made me gain.

Missy Krissy
10-13-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm calorie counting too, with a daily limit of 1800. I haven't had fast food in I don't know how long and am eating way more fruits and veggies (they fit much better into my plan).

jrkessle
10-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I quit carbs 2 weeks ago, which I honestly haven't missed at all! (except for the occasional pasta craving :/). I'm sticking to meats and veggies until I get under 200 (30 pounds to go!). I have sweets cravings almost daily though, but I was told that new habits take 3 weeks to form, so I'm really hoping to quit sugar cold turkey for 3 weeks and not crave it nearly as much anymore.

For exercise, I walk around campus at least an hour a day to and from classes, and I work 20-35 hours a week as a server.

gailr42
10-13-2012, 10:37 PM
I calorie count, and keep track in FitDay. I cook almost all my meals and mostly eat "real food". Once in a while I eat a Lean Cuisine and augment it with a pile of veggies. I have cut way back on beef and wheat containing foods, especially bread. The reason for the wheat restriction is that think I may have some kind of wheat sensitivity or allergy. I have also cut back on my milk drinking just because I don't seem to be desiring it as much as I used to. I am pretty successful at staying under 1500 calories, but wish I would stay nearer 1200.

I am walking an hour three times a week, and doing the "chair exercises" that I invented myself for when I am at work. I am also doing the exercises that the CDC recommends for strength training for senior citizens.

Elladorine
10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't actually count calories, but remain "calorie aware." Meaning that I get way too anxious and anal if I try to track every little thing, which eventually makes me throw up my hands and give up. Instead, I just watch portions and write down what I eat in a day planner. I try to stay around 500 calories per meal (once again, I don't actually count, but I read labels off the shelf and check out nutrition info when I eat out so I don't accidentally eat like 1000+ in one meal, lol).

I focus on having lots of fresh veggies and some fruit, then small portions of "other" food. I avoid most simple carbs, especially added sugar. This allows me a lot of flexibility, so if the hubby wants pizza I can have a slice or two with my salad, or if he wants In-N-Out he'll share some of his fries with me and I'll get a hamburger.

I've been consistently losing since starting this new approach back in March so it seems to be working well for me. :)

seabiscuit
10-14-2012, 03:58 AM
HI,

I am currently doing WW etools. Etools is meant to be the internet online companion to meetings but I think that the online portion is working out best for me. I get support from these awesome bulletin board and other sites. My family, friends and therapist is supportive too, which definitely helps.

As for exercise, I like to walk and I plan to get back into water aerobics once my asthma calms down. I also hope to talk to my back/neck doctor about other exercises, perhaps the bike so I can get more cardio without aggravating my joints or asthma.

I feel better much better when I exercise and eat healthier!

Take care,

Amy ;)

Fatness
10-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Same here! I only count calories and I also use myfitnesspal . Not a fan of meat (anymore); however, I will eat fish, crab cakes and shrimps. When it comes to working-out. I go to the gym 7 days a week and work-out for 2 hours for 6 days and 3hours for 1 day. All my time is spent on the elliptical and on the 3 hour day I do treadmill and elliptical.

freelancemomma
10-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't actually count calories, but remain "calorie aware."

That's a good way to put it and describes my approach as well.

F.

my2cats
10-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Calorie-counting has worked most consistently for me. It's pretty easy to see when I count calories (carefully and accurately), I lose weight.

To be honest, I don't exercise at all. I should, but part of what led to me failing in the past is thinking I had to exercise and diet, all or nothing. Which just led to nothing. So, for now I just calorie count.

beth sebring
10-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm a calorie counter. I prefer the site myfitnesspal for tracking.

I started using this a week ago. It really made me aware of all the food choices I make. Its so easy to. I love it.

beth sebring
10-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I dont eat out anymore and try to fit in small workouts a day even if its doing 100 sit ups. I also try to plan ahead meals for school and work. My Fitness Pal is a must because my biggest thing is portion control. However, I’ve noticed I feel a lot better mentally, have more energy, and my acne stays at bay when I exercise. I need to find the time though.

gatorgirl6
10-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't really track anything per se. I am usually aware of calories, but don't have any particular daily goal. I aim for non-processed foods that I mainly cook at home. Little to no starchy carbs, small portions of lean meats and proteins (dairy included), and unlimited fruits and veggies. I pair this with exercise (as much as I can convince myself to do - usually about 4xweek. I also try to do social activities that aren't based around food. I live in Orlando, so visiting theme parks is a fun way to get in a bunch of walking.

An example of a typical dinner I would cook is what I call 'unstuffed peppers'. It's similar to how my dad makes stuffed peppers, but everything is just mixed together instead of in the pepper. I like hot, so I will cook up some lean hot italian turkey sausage or venison sausage in crumbles. Then add onions, peppers (what ever is nice at the veggie market - poblanos, hungarian, wax, etc) a can or two of undrained diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted with garlic), corn, zuccini, squash, green beans, and any other fresh veggies that look good. Then let it slowly simmer until all the veggies are cooked. I usually will sprinkle some cheese on top at the end. The only things I count in the dish as not being 'free' are the meat and cheese.

If I go out, I would typically order a simple salad with grilled chicken (cajuned if possible) and dressing on the side.

Knowing that I have certain foods that I like and am allowed to eat makes it easy to not have to think too much about dieting. I am really trying to change my relationship with food and the lifestyle choices I make.

caryesings
10-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Calorie counting during the loss, using myPyramid.gov to track. That has been replaced by choosemyplate.gov but I had already stopped tracking at that point (I was maintaining without tracking so got out of the habit).

Bethcfl
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
I think I am going to try to start my weight loss by walking. I do not think I will change anything else. Well, maybe eat more veggies.....

kellijonez
10-15-2012, 02:52 AM
I follow low carb diet (healthy and balanced diet) and regular exercise(walking / cycling / swimming)

Samantha18
10-15-2012, 03:24 AM
I'm calorie counting combined with the No S 'Diet' (currently eating 1,500, I've been aiming more towards 1,400). I don't snack, have seconds, or sweets during the week, and during the weekend I'll work them into my calorie count if I want them. I use caloriecount.about.com.

I don't cut out any food groups, but I am trying to eat a lot more veggies and fruits; at least one at every meal. I'm learning how to balance, like instead of just eating 3 slices of pizza, I'll have one or two with a salad. If I'm already having mashed potatoes, then I'll skip the bread. I'm also learning to cook and make healthier versions of what I like, as well as trying a lot of vegetables I never have before.

I haven't started exercising yet. I wanted time to focus solely on how I eat for a while first, but I'm going to start alternating work-out videos next week (giving myself one more week to prepare for exercise :O) until I can get my treadmill set up!

tubolard
10-15-2012, 09:29 AM
I count calories when I can, but mainly I am just being super aware of the amount of food I eat. I am walking 2 miles a day right now but plan to increase to 3 miles every other day next week and have stopped drinking diet soda. So far so good but I am sure I will change my routine at some point.

krampus
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't actually count calories, but remain "calorie aware." Meaning that I get way too anxious and anal if I try to track every little thing, which eventually makes me throw up my hands and give up. Instead, I just watch portions and write down what I eat in a day planner. I try to stay around 500 calories per meal (once again, I don't actually count, but I read labels off the shelf and check out nutrition info when I eat out so I don't accidentally eat like 1000+ in one meal, lol).

This, except I don't log my intake other than in my head, and I generally have two big meals and a post-dinner snack of some sort (I hate the word "snack" but it's not a meal).

I also focus on getting lots of protein and veggies. I go to the gym or run/hike 6 days a week on average and it all seems kinda pointless if I'm not eating enough protein to build any muscle.

Pink Hurricane
10-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Calorie counting plus exercise 4-5 days a week with at least 2 days of strength training, whether with own body weight or free weights. I use My Fitness Pal for tracking, and I used Livestrong's The Daily Plate a while back when I began my journey.

SarahJane88
10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Counting calories and exercising 5 days a week :)

LucyRic
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I log points with WeightWatchers Online and also log calories with myfitnesspal. I find it easier to think in terms of points, but I like how myfitnesspal lets me see the breakdown of nutrients (how much fat, carbs, etc. I am eating). It's worked for me to lose 70 pounds so far.

Garnet2727
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I log points with WeightWatchers Online and also log calories with myfitnesspal. I find it easier to think in terms of points, but I like how myfitnesspal lets me see the breakdown of nutrients (how much fat, carbs, etc. I am eating). It's worked for me to lose 70 pounds so far.

Another double counter! I do WW and MFP also. :wave:

toastedsmoke
10-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm a calorie counter and I track using an app called Tap n' Track. I don't particularly watch any food group (except maybe fat because it takes up a lot of calories and I like a big plate of food) but I don't eat a lot of "outside" food. However, if I really crave something, I try to build in the room into my daily calorie count to have it.

SunnySide99
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I need to burn calories 6 days per week and be aware of what I'm eating (no sugar, pop, crap etc). I'm not calorie counter, but I'm a label reader and I take a lot of mental notes. Seems to be working thus far! :)

dragonstar85
10-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Calorie counting, choosing healthier foods, and walking a lot and at every chance I get.

KateB
10-15-2012, 06:06 PM
I am a calorie counter my limit is 1500/day, but I rarely eat that many. Typically around 1200 calories. I eat low carb, very few grains, whole grain bread once or twice a week, baked potato or sweet potato twice a week. I track my food on The Daily Plate. Itry to 100+ g protien and under 100g carbs a day.

M-F I am creature of habit. It needs to be quick and convienent. breakfast is typically Extend or Atkind protien bar and Atkins or Pure Protien shake. I still kinda feel like I am having my donut/frapaccino breakfast as I used to do, but in a healthier form. Lunch is protien (usually cottage cheese or chicken) Veggies ( usually carrots or a salad of mixed green and other veggies) and fruit (berries, grapes or an apple) an afternoon snack of nut or string cheese and an apple. Dinner is where I mix it up. It is working for me and I am satisfied and rarely, if ever hungry. Wish I could get into the exercise groove though.

HappyFitLife18
10-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Awesome responses, everyone :) So interesting!

shcirerf
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I do WW, lifetime member. Maintaining. I need the structure of the meetings and the support and friendship.

I also strength train 3 times a week and add in some yoga moves and HIIT.

My WW meetings and my gym time are my ME time! No cell phone, no interruptions. It's all about ME!

That's what works for me.:D

beth sebring
10-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone know any alternative ways to workout without having/being able to afford a gym membership?

SayAnythingBut
10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
What weight loss plan does everyone follow? I see some awesome successes on this page and am very insprired by all of you :) I find it interesting to see what route everyone chooses when it comes to weight loss.

Exercise (at least one concentrated hour of cardio a day for now) and conscious eating, aka calorie counting. No more than 1200 calories a day.

I go over by at least 100 calories almost daily except for one day a week when I'm too lazy to cook and have what I call "forage days" where I eat only from my healthy snacks all day (yogurts, fresh fruit and fresh fruit cups, salt-free pretzels, salt-free tortilla chips, raw veggies, sometimes a can of light soup warmed in the microwave - food I have no desire to binge on) and thus end up well under my 1200/day cal. limit on such days.

I'm sure I could officially up my calorie intake by a few hundred and still lose, but setting it low helps me binge less calories when I do inevitably binge. 'Oh gosh, that 4th nutrigrain bar puts me at 2140 cals! Stop!' And I do stop. See, I'm paranoid and confused about how much I burn a day so eating 2000+ horrifies me enough to make me stop, not to mention I'm full enough after 500+ extra calories at once for will-power to kick in and win out.

Sometimes it seems like I burn 2000/day, but that one week 2 months ago where I let myself eat 2000/day and gained 5 pounds in a week has made me very wary and confused. I mean I did go over a few days that week but 5 whole pounds over? I was so shocked and... confused! Still confused about it to be honest... So yeah, bingeing on 600 and 700 extra calories after having only eaten 600 (on forage days) to 1400 (normally) is why I think I've managed to still consistently lose. I guess I burn around 2000 (and often more than that) but I just don't know.

toastedsmoke
10-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Anyone know any alternative ways to workout without having/being able to afford a gym membership?

My favorite way to work out if I'm not going to the gym is using workout videos. I've built up a huge library over time but it starts with one. You can take a variety of classes (walking, aerobic step, strength training, kickboxing, aerobics, yoga, Pilates, almost anything really) from the comfort of your own home. If I recall Netflix had a good selection if you already subscribe, or the public library could be a good free resource as well.

Of course there's always the good old out of doors which is 100% free. You can walk, run, jog, roller-blade, bike, whatever suits you. You may even want to look up walking groups etc in your area. It's social and many of them are free. Definitely don't feel you have to pay for a gym membership to work out.

nina cloudstar
10-16-2012, 06:40 AM
I am a calorie counter! Like everyone else I used MFP at first, but then I made myself a food/exercise log which I am enjoying filling in every day- I still use the MFP database to check calories.

topsy81
10-16-2012, 07:27 AM
I am a cal counter too :) Try to eat lots of health foods and not to much rubbish!

DisappearingActs
10-16-2012, 10:00 AM
I switch it up to suit how I feel and how I'm losing. Straight fruits and veggies, low carb, intermittent fasting, water fasting, just calorie counting, etc... Basically, I do what I feel and it's been working for me.

SunnySide99
10-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Hi there. I've lost a ton of weight this year without stepping into a gym. I do workout DVD's (mainly ExerciseTV clips I burned to DVD and the Walk Away The Pounds series). I also take a strength-training class twice per week at a local community center. Good luck. :)

angieand2girls
10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Same as DisappearingActs. I have a lot of variety to my nutrition plan and exercise plan. I also do intermittent fasting and throw in water fasting every few months. The water fasting is more for overall health though. I've successfully lowered my blood pressure significantly from water fasting. Anyways....even with all the variation (low carb, regular carb, etc.), I calorie count everything. I don't do deprivation but I definitely practice moderation.

angieand2girls
10-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Definitely DVD's. The majority of my exercise is from home DVD's. I do Insanity, Yoga, Ab DVDs, and I'm about to start Chalean Extreme, which is weight training DVD's. I do go to the gym a few times out of the week because I practice my jogging on the treadmill (want to run a 5k), but you can do it all from home. :)

pluckypear
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Well I have a short and long answer to this question. The short one being Weight Watchers. I am also in therapy.
I have no loyalty to the program WW. I do like the use of points to keep track of eating. I also like the freedom to eat what you like as long as it is tracked and within your daily allowance. I also feel I need group support. Is it the best type of group support? Not really but it is helpful. I also think it depends on the leader and location. I would go to TOPS if it were more conveniently located for me. So for me a big part of the group is time offered and how much do I have to travel.
My goal is to come to a place where I do not have to journal food or measure it and so forth. My goal is to come to a place where I eat healthy whole foods most of the time with some small room for foods considered not whole. I also have a goal to be able to eat until satisfied and by satisfied I mean physical hunger or need not emotional hunger or need. This will take time. So in the mean time I will track and WI once per week. I find this whole thing is obsessive. To have a food addiction,, which I and my therapist agree I have, is not a good mix with obsessing about food which I can easily do. So I am trying to minimize this by WI only once per week, not stressing about it, and moving towards not counting. I could in theory do this on the simply filling WW plan. But as I am sure many of you agree you don't really need a plan for this. But I do need to come to an emotionally healthier place to do this.
I would prefer to have group support, in person, as much as I love the boards here in person is nice. I would like a weekly WI too. But I have found with some WW groups and TOPS groups too much negativity. People make snarky comments or get obsessed with one way of weight loss. Even at a TOPS one person would go on and on about Dukan. So I found a WW meeting where the leader is positive, but not over the top, and she is focused on being healthy. She does not push the WW products too much. I know they have to somewhat. I ignore it when pettiness comes out from members.
I will continue with therapy and will go to WW for now. I may switch to TOPS again later or even better find some friends with similar food issues to meet with once a week for support and a WI.
I enjoy reading how everyone approaches this issue differently.

Also for exercise I am going to the pool for deep/shallow water aqua fitness and laps. I believe being active is a way to health as well. I have very bad knees and for now this is working for me.

CoachTeri
10-18-2012, 08:56 PM
I use MyFitnessPal for keeping track of food/protein. Beachbody workouts for weight maintenance and building muscle. No meat as it makes me feel too full/heavy. Reduced carbs/fats. Real food. No processed food. No desserts, candy, sweets, "treats". No fast food. Eat most meals at home. Only drink water. REthinking food overall.

masterptr
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM

I have been paying for the Gym membership for the last 15 years..
I haven't been there since 2006
anyhow,
I simply go out and walk
run
hike
bike sometimes
those things work for me!

Nayshal
10-19-2012, 01:34 AM
I haven't been exercising much for the last three weeks but when I did, I do 5 miles of Walk Away The Pounds 5x/week. I'll start going to the gym on November (according to plan) but for now I'm only counting calories and eating within my limit faithfully.

gatorgirl6
10-19-2012, 10:16 AM

There are lots of ways to get cardio outside of the gym - running, walking, biking, swimming, stairs, DVDs etc. For strength training, you can buy a kettle bell or some weights (I got my kettle bell at walmart for $11) and find tons of videos to follow on youtube.

mom23kids1
10-19-2012, 01:10 PM
After an elevated sugar scare a few weeks ago I started looking into a diet plan that would help with that (I have several family members with diabetes and I'm determined not to join them!). After hours and hours of looking into various plans I decided to go with Jorge Cruise's plan as outlined in his book, The Belly Fat Cure. I started last weekend and I'm down 4 lbs so far :carrot: In a nutshell I'm keeping my sugar intake to 15g or less a day and my carbs between 30-120 grams, (though I don't think I've ever gotten over 50 so far).

bargoo
10-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Calorie counting works best for me, I have tried many other plans but this is the one I find simpler to follow.

LeilaJey
10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't count calories or follow any plan as such, I concentrate on being aware of what I'm eating and I weigh daily to keep myself in check.