Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #1  

Default homemade chicken broth??

Can anyone tell me how to make homemade chicken broth on IP? I figure only white meat & no skin. Does it have to be deboned first? AND does it count as restricted or unrestricted?
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Bones are really necessary for making good broth. Skin isn't necessary. Use the chicken breasts with ribs included. Put the chicken in a deep pot, add a bay leaf or two, whole pepper corns, and for veggies, include celery and onion. You can also cut open a well-washed lemon, squeeze the juice into the pot and then go ahead and drop the lemon in the pot too. This helps you get all the calcium out of the chicken bones into the broth. Up to you if you want to salt it before or after cooking. Then fill up the pot with water and set it on the stove to come to a boil. Once it hits a boil, turn the stove down to a simmer. There may be something that looks like scum floating on top. You can just spoon that off.

After about 20 to 30 minutes, the chicken breast meat will be done cooking. Use some tongs to remove the chicken from the pot. Let them cool then pull the meat off the bones. Put the bones back in the pot and let them continue simmering for another hour or two. Keep a lid on the pot. Then you can let the whole thing cool down and you can pour off the broth. I'd put it in a clean container and let it chill in the refrigerator. Any fat in the broth will float to the top and harden. You can just peel that off and discard it. The broth will be gelatinous if you've cooked it longer than the 30 mintues. That's a good thing! There's more protein in there.

You can store it in jars in the refrigerator or some sort of freezable container and put it in the freezer. I've even poured it into ice cube trays then stored the cubes in Ziploc bags. To thaw it, just put it in the refrigerator. Don't microwave it in plastic containers to warm it up. Do that in a glass microwave-safe container.

The only way to make the chicken broth into an unrestricted food is to not cook it with onion and lemon (carbs). And then you'd have to really let it chill and get all the fat that floats off the top. I supposed you could just cook the chicken breasts in just water (still with the bones) and no seasonings or flavor enhancers. Then, after it's cooked and you've chilled it and skimmed the fat all off, you could add something like Mrs. Dash original to the broth for flavor.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #3  

Thx Georgia!~
I just got back from Wally World and found some sodium free, fat free chicken broth too! It has only one carb and no fat. It matches the leek soup except for it has less carbs. Do you that would b ok too?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

You can actually use white vinegar in broth in place of lemon - it serves the same purpose, and no carbs! The onion isn't a problem as long as they aren't caramelized, which they don't when you boil them in liquid. I make IP friendly broth with turnip, celery (with the greens), bay leaves, peppercorns, radish (if I have them), vinegar and chicken bones with some meat left on. I put everything in my crockpot after having the roast chicken for dinner, fill with water (to 1 inch below the top of the pot), and turn it on before I go to bed. In the morning I unplug it and let it cool, strain the broth and put it in freezer bags in 2 cup portions.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #5  

THX again Scorbett!!! Im beginning to worship you!!!1 hahaha
Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Maezy, I don't know all the protocols for IP. I just know that 0 fat, 0 carb foods are the unrestricted foods. And I know how to make broth! My fridge is filled with broths of all sorts, chicken, turkey, beef, lamb. Now that its getting colder, my afternoon snacks always involve a cup or two of broth.

And yes, the vinegar is an excellent alternative to the lemon. I forgot about that, scorbett, because I always prefer lemon with my poultry broths and I'm not doing IP. I use apple cider vinegar with beef and lamb bones. And I also get chicken feet, necks and wings to make the chicken broth. More collagen in those. I can usually find a lot of those in the markets that cater to Asian and Hispanic customers. In the markets that cater to the Germanic population around here, beef bones, oxtail, and lamb shanks.

It's almost turkey neck season! I can't wait!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Maezy, I don't know all the protocols for IP. I just know that 0 fat, 0 carb foods are the unrestricted foods. And I know how to make broth! My fridge is filled with broths of all sorts, chicken, turkey, beef, lamb. Now that its getting colder, my afternoon snacks always involve a cup or two of broth.

And yes, the vinegar is an excellent alternative to the lemon. I forgot about that, scorbett, because I always prefer lemon with my poultry broths and I'm not doing IP. I use apple cider vinegar with beef and lamb bones. And I also get chicken feet, necks and wings to make the chicken broth. More collagen in those. I can usually find a lot of those in the markets that cater to Asian and Hispanic customers. In the markets that cater to the Germanic population around here, beef bones, oxtail, and lamb shanks.

It's almost turkey neck season! I can't wait!
Hooray for turkey neck soup!!!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #8  

Definitely make your own broth,rather than buying! It is SO MUCH MORE economical. I use a rotisserie chicken (actually buy a whole chicken from my local, free range farmer and put it in my counter-top rotisserie). Then I use the carcass (not skin) & veggie scraps to make the broth.

ALL of my veggie scraps go in a bag in the freezer for the next pot of broth. And cook those bones until they are soft. You'll get the benefit of the collagen. (Google bone broth for more health benefits)

I have 2 qts in the freezer right now. When they're gone, it'll be time for another chicken!

I don't worry too much about a tad of extra fat. I just downgrade on my olive oil a bit & figure it all comes out in the "wash". As long as I'm losing and I'm still in ketosis
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

One more thing to note, if you want your broth to have that "yellow" color, you can add a sprinkle of tumeric in it.

Otherwise, all of the above suggestions are pretty much how I make my own broth as well.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote