Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #1  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Calorie counters: Do you count sodium??

I am just wondering if you consider sodium levels or not. I am switching from low carb to calorie counting. Well, I really was doing calorie counting while doing low carb anyway but sodium levels were pretty low while doing carb counting so I didn't worry about that.

thanks in advance!!
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #2  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

not at all- but i personally really just worry about the calories themselves, and sometimes levels of protein.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/173/135

Height: 5' 3"

I focus on the calories and protein, but I also stay away from most processed foods and focus on eating fresh foods.
SarahJane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #4  
Becoming A Better Me

i count macronutrients as well as calories n keep sodium levels well below 1500 n the bloat n joint swelling started disappearing within days! altho im not a sodium user per say i didnt realize how much was in processed foods or that its i everything, even milk!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

No, I don't worry about sodium. I add salt to things too, which is hard to keep track of. I don't have issues with sodium related high blood pressure, nor does anyone in my family. I just track calories, and I do focus on macros as well (sometimes more so than others). If I drink a lot of water and start feeling not right (especially if I'm running or working out), I make sure to replenish my electrolytes. That's probably the only time I pay it any mind.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

There's some newer research that suggests that sodium may not be a health risk for everyone - not even everyone with high blood pressure. For example, my blood sodium levels tend to be extremely low (to the point that I had to take sodium supplement pills before surgery).

My situation is rather unique, most people don't have this problem. My body is uncommonly prone to shedding sodium for a variety of reasons, including a blood pressure medication that tends to flush sodium, a relatively low-sodium diet without watching (I don't have much of a salt tooth) and probably just my natural biochemistry.

If you don't have high blood pressure or other health issues that can be affected by sodium, extra sodium in your diet can be counterbalanced with extra water. Even if you have high blood pressure, you can talk to your doctor about whether or not you personally have to monitor sodium levels. If your blood pressure doesn't react to sodium, even if you have high blood pressure, you may not need to monitor sodium levels.

All that being said there are tons of good reasons for avoiding the highest sodium foods, perhaps the most important is what the sodium usually comes along with in such junk foods (trans fats, preservatives, and other additives), and with what it tends to lack (vitamins, minerals, and protein - and the more high-sodium junk you eat, the fewer fruits, veggies, whole grains, and proteins you may be eating).

I normally count calories and carbs through a reduced carb exchange plan (right now I'm taking a break from it with by following "The Simple Diet" while recording calories as well). I like that exchange plans do most of the calorie (and food group) counting for you, and it also tends to control sodium (because whole foods are easiest to count, they're what I tend to reach for - and whole foods are generally low in sodium, except for a few like celery).

The Simple Diet uses more convenience foods (You eat at least five or more servings of fruits and veggies, and on the basic plan you use three shakes and two dinners. The shakes have to be under 200 calories and the dinners under 300). It's my first break from "counting" in a long, long time so we'll see how it goes. The plan doesn't require calorie counting, but since I've always used some form of counting, it's just second nature to jot down the calorie count in my food journal.

When I use an exchange plan, I don't look up each food individually, I just count the exchanges, because the exchanges all have similar calorie counts (all fruit exchanges contain about 70 calories, dairy about 90, starch about 80, veggies 25...... so I write these numbers down). I usually use a food scale and am familiar with most of the exchange values. If I'm eating a new fruit for example, and I can't find it's exchange value on line, I'll look up it's calorie count and then calculate what a 60 - 70 calorie portion would weigh.

This sounds more complicated than calorie counting I know, but it's actually an easier way for me to count calories, because I've been doing it so long (since I was 8 and joined WW for the first time with my mom). It's great for unfamiliar foods, because I can usually guesstimate the calorie/exchange count by what common food it's most like.

I use exchange plans to count, because I'm more comfortable with low-tech recordkeeping. I tried using online resources and just don't find it convenient. However, I'm going to be getting one of the new Nook tablets in November, I may switch over to "straight" calorie counting, because there isn't (to my knowledge) an exchange plan app. And if I'm going to be using an app, I might as let it do all the counting for me (since most count and track many different macro and micro nutrients).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #7  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I don't worry about it. I drink a lot of water and I exercise/sweat a lot. My blood pressure is fine and always has been so in that respect I'm definitely thankful to my body.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #8  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I do not count sodium.

However, I am aware that when I eat high sodium foods, like Chinese, I gain water weight. It helps to know so that I don't freak out on the scale the following day.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I did at first - kept it under 1500 - even though I didn't have a real reason to. Turned out that the very low sodium intake in addition to the reduced calories and my naturally low blood pressure equaled daily dizzy spells for me!

I still track sodium because it helps me understand water retention "gains" on the scale. I don't limit it though.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I don't track or limit sodium (though I'm not fond of overly salted foods, so I think my sodium intake limits itself naturally). I also have low-normal blood pressure so I don't worry about sodium at all.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #11  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I track it but mostly for my blood pressure. I stay under 1500 mg a day. It's been really helpful for me both when I was losing and now that I'm maintaining.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #12  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I tracked it for a period a long time ago and it was a real eye opener while I was transitioning away from processed foods. I remember being shocked at the amount in a can of vegetarian refried beans.

Now I cook from scratch and use a lot fewer canned foods, so I don't worry about it. My LoseIt app tracks it though and I just looked for fun and it averages anywhere from 1.8 to 3.2 grams. Not bad considering a "Heart Healthy" diet prescribed by cardiologists are usually 2gms.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #13  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

I do because of the water weight
but I make sure to take enough not to feel dizzy especially if I had a hard workout like running many miles.
also, I try to eat more calories for lunch and light dinner not to retain unnecessary water while sleeping.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #14  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

My ethnic origin and genetics make me susceptible to sodium-influenced hypertension. So, whilst I don't obsessively track it, I'm always interested in how much sodium I'm consuming. Fortunately my calorie-counting app (Tap n' Track) also tracks my sodium for me so I don't have to do any extra steps myself.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

I don't track it often. It is on MFP. I only look at it when I feel like I have eaten a large amount of sodium in certain foods.
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote