Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 06:18 PM   #1  

I have decided to restart the 123 system again. I am dedicated to following eating by the numbers. Is there anyone else who is following the system in this way?
I have been trying to lose weight for 8 weeks and have only lost 5 pounds. The first 5 weeks I was following Richard Simmons and lost 3 whole pounds-wow! My last 3 weeks I have been following ww points and lost 1 pound the first week, 2 pounds the 2nd week, and gained 1 my 3rd week. After reviewing my journal I realized that my average points to lose for a week are approx. 157.5 to lose weight. The week I lost 1 pound I had 149 per week. The 3rd week I was at 157 for only 6 days (I didn't count for one of the days) so I see why I gained. Anyway, I've figured that in order to lose I will need to eat 22.5 points per day. I have to eat next to nothing in order to lose. So I am going to need support to stick to this.

188/185/150
Old 03-06-2001, 06:37 PM   #2  
Stressed but Sane

Hi, Pretty--Like you, I have to pare things way back in order to lose. For me, it makes a TREMENOUS difference how I distribute my points. With the "old" program, I lost best when I made a concerted effort to "eat by the numbers." Now, I do best if I follow the higher-protein suggestions WW has in The Right Mix booklet. If you don't have this booklet, there's a questionnaire I'd be happy to email you to help you decide whether you're more satisfied with a little more protein, a little more carb, or a balanced plan. I have journals, created by a WW leader friend, for each of these plans---it really simplifies things if you can just check off boxes! Feel free to email me ([email protected]) if you want the questionnaire and/or journals.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:43 AM   #3  
REC

You don't need to eat "next to nothing." I eat an amazing amount of food and still lose.

1. FREE VEGGIES!!!! Eat LOTS of them. For example, don't just have a salad and 1/2 cup broccoli with your dinner, have salad, broccoli, tomatos, okra, spagetti squash, snow peas, AND (fill in your favorite veggie) with your dinner.

2. Add more fiber to your diet--it will fill you up like nothing else. Instead of a sandwich for lunch, have TWO cups of veggie chili with a hugh glass of water (I bet you won't be able to eat the whole thing) for 6 points and you won't be able to eat for HOURS. If you still want that sandwich, make it with lean meat, and lots of veggies on it--tomatos, lettuce, peppers.

3. Make smarter choices. For example, instead of 15 pretzels for a 3 point snack, have a 10 oz potato (do you know how BIG a 10 oz potato is?), or an 8 oz cup of yogurt.

4. Exercise.

5. Drink water with everything you eat.

You CAN do it if you WANT to.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:40 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Additionally I have a journal that combines the ease of points with the structure of selections I'd be happy to e-mail to you. [email protected]
Old 03-07-2001, 09:56 AM   #5  
Wolfangel

Good Luck and listen to these ladies..they know what they are talking about!

I just wanted to say I LOVE your name...it's my FAVORITE movie and I even HAD a ducky in High School.

Take care and let us know how you are doing!

Old 03-07-2001, 10:49 AM   #6  

I don't attend meetings and I still have the first two versions of the 123 program, I don't have Winning Points. Right now I'm not interested in attending the WW meetings or giving them anymore of my money. I am a Lifetime member so once I start losing I'll be willing to go back. I have seen so many people lose off the previous version of 123 so is it really necessary for me to get Winning points.
I also do feel that I have to eat next to nothing. I'm not big on vegetables and the thought of munching on vegetables all day does not appeal to me.
I have a notebook where I keep track of my points and I draw boxes for each food section and then I fill them in so that I know I'm eating by the numbers. I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. In order for me to Eat by the Numbers, I use the food label. So I multiply carbs by 4 and then divide that number by 50 to get my points, the same with protein and fat (except I multiply fat by 9). Anyway, sometimes when I use my pointsfinder I will get a number for the points in my food that don't always equal the breakdown above. For example I could have a food equal 4 points but when I do the breakdown I only get 3 points. I count the higher number of points but then that throws my eating by the numbers off.
Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone else have this problem or understand this problem?
Old 03-07-2001, 11:06 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

I don't eat much veggies either and still lose on 23-27 points a day. I follow the old point system but I do cap my fiber at 5 grams and do not count carrots, jicama nor onions.

Here is a recent day for me:

BREAKFASTS 3 POINTS

1 cup Lucky Charms with 1/2 cup Skim Milk

LUNCH 5 1/2 POINTS

1 cup Chicken Creole + 1/2 cup Uncle Ben's Converted Rice (made w/o butter)
2 cups salad topped with salsa
6 oz Yoplait Light Yogurt - Orange Cream
4 oz diced peaches

DINNER 11 POINTS

5 oz lean steak
1 baked potato topped with salsa and 1 teaspoon butter
2/3 cup corn and 1 teaspoon butter

SNACKS 7 POINTS

1 Schwann's Smores Ice Cream Sandwich (7 points)
3 oz baby carrots
2 stalks of celery (while cooking dinner)

TOTAL FOR THE DAY: 26.5 POINTS

What's your day look like?

Last edited by Kelly_S; 03-07-2001 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:14 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Actually to find out the breakdown is what I used to do...now I can do it in my head....however you can do it by looking at the diabetic exchanges also (sometimes that's much easier). However in response to your problem with the difference are you including the fiber (which is a carb)? That could be where your difference is.

As for attending the meetings - I could take or leave them but it depends on the leader and how the 'class' participates.

As for your gain there are some factors to look at:

1) did you eat alot of processed foods (canned, frozen, cheese, etc.)? - sodium can cause retention
2) did you change your exercise routine (increase or decrease intensity, change the activity, start an activity)? when you have a change in activity the muscles will tend to retain water especially if you don't drink enough
3) are you eating enough points? (tough concept but your body may think it is starving)

These are just a few things. Here is my usual list of things to look at (some will be repeats of above):

1) Where in your points range are you eating? Most people find they lose better when eating mid-range to high-range. Especially if you are exercising you need to eat toward the high end and not the low end. The reason is because your body thinks it is starving and slows down your metabolism and holds on to the calories you intake.

2) What are you spending your points on? Review EATING BY THE NUBMERS (complex carbs 6-9 points, protien 6-8 points, veggies/fruits 0-3 points, dairy 4-6 points, fats 2-3 points). If you follow the suggested minimum amount of points spend on each food category it totals up to 18 points. I also find if I don't eat close to the figures they have I don't lose as well. Also make sure you get in some REAL fat (butter, margarine, mayo, real salad dressing, etc). I had subconsciously removed almost all fat from my diet and had plateaued for SIX (count them 6) months. Make sure you get in some fat.

3) Are you drinking your water?

4) Are you eating alot of processed foods (canned, frozen, etc.) which contain alot of sodium which causes water retention. What about diet sodas? They can cause bloating and water rentention.

5) Are you exercising? Have you taken your measurements to see if you are building muscle while losing? Remember muscle weighs 2.2 times more than fat and takes up less space. If you are exercising remember to eat high in your point range.

6) Are you journaling? This includes every BLT (bite, lick and taste). Those BLTs can add up in 'hidden' points.

7) Are you calculating points correctly? Ninety percent of new members don't count points correctly. I have a favorite muffin and until last week (I've been on program for almost 2 years) I just realized my 3 point muffin is really 6 points because it is 2 servings. Make sure you use the nutritional information rather than the 'generic' list W/W puts out. You'll find alot of differences.

Once you have analyzed these things then you need to start playing with the program to adapt it to you and your body. Like reducing the carbs and increasing the protien and stuff like that.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:35 PM   #9  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Although I discovered that I love veggies once I learned how to prepare them to maximize their flavor, which also maintains their nutritional content, I don't munch veggies all day long to stay full.

I've added soup to lunch and dinner. I also eat a salad. And I usually do include one other veggie, either as a part of the main dish or as a side dish. I've found that I'm a lot more satisfied with smaller portions of the higher point main dishes and grain/potato side dishes.

The other thing I've found is that substituting more whole grains and beans really makes a huge difference. I eat oatmeal for breakfast during the week. I make it with milk and that 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of nonfat milk keeps me going until my midmorning meal. (I eat 5-6 mini meals rather than three large meals.) If I'm having a salad as my main course at lunch, I include a couple of tablespoons of cooked beans to bulk it up. I use brown rice. I bulk up my meatballs with bulgar, using less meat. I substitute black beans for part of the meat/cheese in enchilada recipes, which cuts points and makes them more filling. A baked potato with toppings makes a really filling meal.

I just reread your last post. Your points calculation may be off because I don't see any accommodation for the fiber in your formula. This may be why your calculation sometimes comes out different from the pointsfinder. One suggestion I have is to go to www.dottisweightlosszone.com and look for the thread on her forum to have her ponts calculator sent to your email address. It can help you calculate your points more accurately.

Hope this helps.

Lin

Last edited by Lin S; 03-07-2001 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:49 PM   #10  

I gained weight last week because I overate on Friday and Saturday. I ate everything in sight. So I've accepted the gain and moved on.
I tend to eat light during the day and heavier in the evening. I usually eat fruit for breakfast and frozen dinner for lunch and then my usual dinner with my family. I've figured out that if I stay around 22 points per day I will lose-any more or maybe even less will be a gain.
As for the points-no I'm not accounting for fiber but I am using the points finder to calculate my points. My above equation was an additional equation for me in order to break the points down so that I'm eating by the numbers. I think my original post on that may have been misundersood. If anyone else is Eating by the Numbers I'd really like to hear if this has helped, hurt, or done nothing to your weight loss efforts.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:54 PM   #11  

Kelly,
Here's my menu from yesterday:
Orange- 1
Lean Cuisine- 5
Soft Pretzel- 3
Orange-1
Chili- 8/ 11 (book says 8 for chili con carne which I am told means with rice but I didn't have any rice so I guess the number would be lower) I had a cup and a half so I counted it as 12
Graham Cracker-1 sheet and fat free cool whip- 1

22 points

If anyone knows the number for chili without rice please let me know.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:52 PM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Check out these chili recipes:

http://pub38.************/fdottisweig...picID=73.topic

http://pub38.************/fdottisweig...picID=71.topic

http://pub38.************/fdottisweig...picID=17.topic

http://pub38.************/fdottisweig...opicID=8.topic

and my personal one:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kelly's Chili - 3 Points

Recipe By : Kelly Shields
Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chilis Kelly's Own Recipes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cans canned tomatoes, crushed, Libby's
1 can canned tomatoes, whole, Libby's
1 can chili beans, Hunt's
2 cups chopped onion
4 cloves garlic -- minced
2 cups chopped celery
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons tabasco sauce -- or to taste
1/4 cup jalapeno chile pepper -- optional
2 pounds 92% lean ground beef, Laura's

1. Brown ground beef, onions and garlic. Drain.

2. Combine beef mixutre and remainint ingredients in crockpot.

3. Cook on hihg four hours or low all day.

Calories: 179.9
Fat grams: 5.0
Fiber grams: 6.8

W/W Points: 3

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't see any "real" fats included in your day and not alot of food.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:24 PM   #13  

No there isn't a lot of food but I made it to my point range. I can only lose if I less food. This may not be the case for everyone but it is for me.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:27 PM   #14  

Does anyone follow Eating by the Numbers or am I the only one?
Old 03-07-2001, 04:39 PM   #15  
Cowboy Up Chick

I follow eating by the numbers usually some days I don't but mostly I do.

1 cup Lucky Charms - 1 bread serving
1/2 cup Skim Milk - 1 dairy serving
1 cup Chicken Creole - 1 veggie serving, 2 protien servings
1/2 cup Uncle Ben's Converted Rice (made w/o butter) - 1 bread serving
2 cups salad topped with salsa - 2 veggie servings
6 oz Yoplait Light Yogurt - Orange Cream - 1 dairy serving
4 oz diced peaches - 1 fruit serving
5 oz lean steak - 5 protien servings
1 baked potato topped with salsa - 2 veggie servings
1 teaspoon butter - 1 fat serving
2/3 cup corn - 1 veggie serving
1 teaspoon butter - 1 fat serving