Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #1  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default Week 3 - why am I STARVING?

I am absolutely STARVING this week - 1/2 an hour after I eat I am shaking and my stomach is growling and I feel like passing out. I'm forcing myself to go 2 hours between meals - what choice do I have anyway - and I'm shaking from hunger.

Everything is EXACTLY the same as last week. I'd say this week I'm hungrier than Week 1.

And I have those ketosis strips and I keep showing only trace amounts of keytones.

Anyone else go through this at some point?
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Don't trust those strips! if you are hungry eat some veggies or some egg whites. You should not be hungry. IF you have the shakes your BP may be low, add some salt into your water....this should not be happening...... Drink you some cold water, hot tea, chew gum,
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #3  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Don't trust those strips! if you are hungry eat some veggies or some egg whites. You should not be hungry. IF you have the shakes your BP may be low, add some salt into your water....this should not be happening...... Drink you some cold water, hot tea, chew gum,
It's so funny how coaches are different - mine told me no gum or mints are allowed of any kind - the same one that told me no colored sweet peppers besides green - or enteric coated Advil. I understand the peppers are OK, and I think the Advil is too - on the rare occasion I need to take one.

I don't trust the strips 100%, honestly! But since I'm starving and shaking as well I thought they might be right this time.

I'm just waiting for my housecleaner to leave so I can have my chicken patties!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #4  
Back for a tweak

How do you just eat egg whites? I have no clue. . . . sounds pretty gross - is it?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #5  
IP Reboot: 01/06/17

S/C/G: 190.3/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

My coach said no gum either, but I still chew a piece of Extra usually once a day after lunch
starsandrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
How do you just eat egg whites? I have no clue. . . . sounds pretty gross - is it?
Well I coach as well as go by my own personal experience. If chewing gum or sucking on mints will keep you from cheating then by all means do so! As far as the egg whites go, I usually just fry them up as I would do a regular egg...spray a frying pan with olive oil, let it get hot, pour my egg whites in with salt, pepper and cook it. OR if you just want to boil the whole eggs and just eat the whites without the yolks. I buy the eggwhites and have the "eggies" to boil just my eggwhites
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #7  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Well I coach as well as go by my own personal experience. If chewing gum or sucking on mints will keep you from cheating then by all means do so! As far as the egg whites go, I usually just fry them up as I would do a regular egg...spray a frying pan with olive oil, let it get hot, pour my egg whites in with salt, pepper and cook it. OR if you just want to boil the whole eggs and just eat the whites without the yolks. I buy the eggwhites and have the "eggies" to boil just my eggwhites
I bought a box of egg whites but had no idea what to do with them LOL - I should give that a try. I never really cooked much before getting on this program - it's making me learn to cook - which is a good thing!

Are we allowed an actual whole egg on top of our protein allowance or is it either or - which would explan the egg whites only as a snack.

I just wanted to do gum/mints for the icky ketosis breath.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I bought a box of egg whites but had no idea what to do with them LOL - I should give that a try. I never really cooked much before getting on this program - it's making me learn to cook - which is a good thing!

Are we allowed an actual whole egg on top of our protein allowance or is it either or - which would explan the egg whites only as a snack.

Make sure you check the carb/sugar content on the gum and mints. Some of the sugar free ones have a couple of grams of carbs and if you have 5 a day, you end up adding 10 carbs total.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/ and just getting started!

Height: 5'11"

If you kind of take apart the IP diet, two of the big reasons it works so well are 1) that dieters often find it easier to stick to a diet when packaged foods are involved, and 2) low-carb diets are generally pretty effective (although often hard to stick to for a long time.)

Unlike the Atkins diet, the IP diet is (to my understanding, at least) both low-carb and lower-fat. In practice, this means that you'll lose weight more quickly than with a generic Atkins diet but many people will also find they're a lot hungrier under the IP diet, and more likely to have frequent "stomach trouble" as well.

The strict IPers may flame me for what I'm about to say, but I've lost at least 35 pounds on seven different occasions, so I've earned my stripes enough to say I'm learning to be more concerned with finding something I can live with long-term than just getting the weight off (so I can pack it right back on again.)

My advice would be to add in a little extra fat with your meals. Yes, it's a no-no with IP, but I think you may find your diet much more liveable. A *small* handful of almonds or walnuts, or maybe a 1-oz piece of cheese, possibly even just at the morning meal, may be worth a shot. Also, I don't know how much fiber you're getting, but if it's not a lot then even a small fiber supplement might go a long way.

Just remember: Some diets are very strict, but most of that strictness is to keep people from sabotaging their weight-loss without realizing they're doing it. It's OK to tinker with even a "strict" diet if it means the difference between meeting your goals or missing them.

I wish you luck! I know you'll find a way to make it work, whether it's through experimentation or just pure willpower alone.
ActYourselfThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #10  

Quote:

You are learning lots of new things about yourself since starting this program it seems...give the eggs a try you may like them!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Sometimes I'll add a few tablespoons of chopped veggies into a frying pan, sautee, and add the egg whites. Egg scramble! Definitely a good little meal to fill you up.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActYourselfThin View Post
If you kind of take apart the IP diet, two of the big reasons it works so well are 1) that dieters often find it easier to stick to a diet when packaged foods are involved, and 2) low-carb diets are generally pretty effective (although often hard to stick to for a long time.)

Unlike the Atkins diet, the IP diet is (to my understanding, at least) both low-carb and lower-fat. In practice, this means that you'll lose weight more quickly than with a generic Atkins diet but many people will also find they're a lot hungrier under the IP diet, and more likely to have frequent "stomach trouble" as well.

The strict IPers may flame me for what I'm about to say, but I've lost at least 35 pounds on seven different occasions, so I've earned my stripes enough to say I'm learning to be more concerned with finding something I can live with long-term than just getting the weight off (so I can pack it right back on again.)

My advice would be to add in a little extra fat with your meals. Yes, it's a no-no with IP, but I think you may find your diet much more liveable. A *small* handful of almonds or walnuts, or maybe a 1-oz piece of cheese, possibly even just at the morning meal, may be worth a shot. Also, I don't know how much fiber you're getting, but if it's not a lot then even a small fiber supplement might go a long way.

Just remember: Some diets are very strict, but most of that strictness is to keep people from sabotaging their weight-loss without realizing they're doing it. It's OK to tinker with even a "strict" diet if it means the difference between meeting your goals or missing them.

I wish you luck! I know you'll find a way to make it work, whether it's through experimentation or just pure willpower alone.
I would not "flame" you for your post. We all do what we have to do to make the program work for us. Congrats on your losses. IP give you the IDEAL amount of protein for your body to function unlike Atkin's which gave you too much protein. Like everything else each diet works in its own way. Just believe in the program you are working with and you will get results
Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #13  

I had a super hungry week and after a few days of white knuckling, I amped up my lettuce! I ate ALL of my meals on top of a Big Ol Salad (Well, I called it a BAS). My meat, my planned veggies, everything went on top of a big bed of lettuce. It helped.
Now, if I have a hungry few hours, a BAS is in the works for the next meal (and those chicken patties work really good on a bed of lettuce, too, along WITH your other planned veggies).

And wuv is right about the salt. You shouldn't be shaking or light headed. Are you getting all your salt AND fat?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #14  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
They're actually good. You can mix some spices and veggies in with them too.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Fried egg whites are definitely a comfort thing for me. Sometimes, you just need a good fried egg with salt and pepper.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote