Weight Loss Support - Body Fat Percentage Calculations

View Full Version : Body Fat Percentage Calculations

Lizness
10-10-2012, 11:00 PM
So I've been having difficulty finding what my body fat percentage is using the tape measure. (I know I could use calipers or water submersion for better accuracy, but I don't have them available for right now.)

I've tried the Navy method - which seemed wayyy off, plus it is not as accurate.

I've also tried online calculators but we all know how reliable those are.

The one I think is more reliable and accurate is the Covert Bailey Formula, and the results seem reasonable for everyone in my family except for me!! :?:

The formula (for women under 30) is: hips + .8Thighs - 2Calf - Wrist

With my measurements, I come to 24.75% Body Fat. But this doesn't seem right because I'm 5'1" and about 215-220 lbs.

I know this test can be a few percentage points off for athlete types, but its not supposed to be this way for someone who is "obese".

Any suggestions as to why this is coming up weird?

Spiritix
10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Are you sure you're doing all the math correctly, do you have the formula correctly copied? I don't know much about this type of stuff, but I know in math that's the cause for half of my mistakes... >.<

Lizness
10-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I had my dad and sister do the math and the online version said the same %. So the math is right and my sister and I redid the measurements, but I just can't believe that's the right answer..?? :/

JohnP
10-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Wild guess but you're probably around 55-60% BF right now.

Anyways it makes no difference at your current size. None.

You're welcome to try these methods though ... (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showpost.php?p=4990&postcount=1)

juliastl27
10-11-2012, 03:01 AM
uhhh.. i just got this on a calculator

using your measurements of a 34 inches waist and weight of 187 pounds your body fat percentage we calculated your body fat using FOUR different methods.

Your body fat estimates are
82.71 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or
2.03 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or
41.27 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or
35.08 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

i have no idea what was used for this but i REALLY hope my body fat isnt 82%.....