Dieting with Obstacles - Exercise-Induced Asthma.

View Full Version : Exercise-Induced Asthma.

ThaRizzy
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Today I tried to start the Cto5K program, but after the second jogging burst my chest was on fire. I stopped and when I got home I realized I was wheezing, and I kept coughing like crazy. The wheezing lasted at least 30 minutes, and the coughing lasted over an hour. When I went to the doctor, he said I had exercise-induced asthma. :?: It seemed pretty weird because I haven't noticed any problem with exercise before. I wonder if it's because I chose to run outside and I was breathing the cooler air through my mouth. Does anyone else have this problem? The doctor gave me an inhaler to use before I exercise. I'm going to stick to walking and strength-training for now, but I'd eventually like to start running or biking. Is there any hope that I'll get to that point?

seabiscuit
10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi, I have asthma also, actually I have really been battling it a lot lately more than normal and it is incredibly frustrating. I see a pulmonologist, which is a doctor who specializes in the lungs and respiratory function. He has been very helpful from having his office staff administer individualized pulmonary function tests and other spirometry (breathing) and blood tests. I don't want to freak you out by mentioning all of this, but perhaps seeing a pulmonologist is something to mention to your internist/family doctor if these issues don't resolve.

There is hope with asthma but it's important to manage. It's good that you got some treatment from a doctor. Take care and listen to your doc and your body. Feel free to private message me with any questions!

Amy

ThaRizzy
10-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely listen to my body and take care of myself. :D

seabiscuit
10-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Sure, let me know if I can help out more. Take care:)

Amy

Elladorine
10-21-2012, 03:17 AM
I thought I had outgrown my childhood asthma, but it came back with a vengeance in my late 20's when I was gaining weight. However, I've noticed that the more I lose, the better it gets! :) I'm hoping it won't show its ugly head this year but am armed with an inhaler just in case.

Mine's induced by exercise, but at this point in my life it only shows up in the winter (which is more or less fall weather since I live in the desert).

Candeka
10-21-2012, 04:30 AM
I've had asthma since I was 4. I take an inhaler twice a day, everyday. I also have an "emergency" inhaler that I use when an attack flares up. If I don't take my regular inhaler, within 3 days I will be using my emergency one atleast 4 times a day.

When I exercise, I always take my emergency one 15 minutes prior to actually exercising. This was recommended by a doctor and it works wonders for me!

Cold air ALWAYS makes it harder to breath. If I want to run outside and its cold here, I will wear a scarf and put it around my mouth/cheeks and it works awesome. Even if I am just going for a long walk outside, I NEED the scarf. Throw in the fact that I'm not in the best shape and I'd be down on the ground in 10 minutes lol!.