Weight Loss Support - Day 1: already hard

View Full Version : Day 1: already hard

18young
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
its only day one of my dieting and im already wanting to give in. Its so hard! My mom does weight wachers so i am counting points as my diet system. I get 32 points per day and including my lunch ive used all but 11 and i know im going to want a snack later. Im just happy fruits and veggies are point free and maybe i can snagg some fruit but my college cafeteria doesnt usually have it. I brought my own lunch and am disappointed with how satisfied i am so i bought a little bag of chex mix that cost 6 points! i can earn more points by exercising so im going to do that in order to have a decent dinner. and i know im going to want a snack this after noon. Its just so hard and i dont want to cheat but im having trouble not cheating already!

masterptr
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
:) :) :)
you'll be alright and if it is very hard the first time,
how about trying getting used to it in a little by little mode?
I think you made enough progress for one day already.
try working out and just do your best but DO try to make it a bit better each day.... Good Luck!

LockItUp
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
As the days go by you will find what foods you can fit in to get the most out of your calories (or points).

And if WW isn't a great fit for you, that's ok too! Different things work for different people. You may find another way to go about it that is easier for you than WW. Sometimes there will be hard days, but if every single day is hard, this may not be the right plan for you. If you feel constantly deprived it won't work long term.

Things like chex mix, for me, are horrible things to try and work in to my calories because they end up making me feel more hungry since there's virtually nothing but carbs. Now, I'm not anti-carb by any means, but for me I do better if I try and eat more nutritious and filling foods.

White knuckle it through today if you have to, and tomorrow try and pick more filling foods! It's trial and error.

18young
10-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks so much. I did WW once before a year or two ago for about a month and lost 30 pounds. i know it works for me i just have trouble really sticking to it from the git go. I plan on hitting up the grocery store tomarrow morning before classes to get some more blanaced and filling items to keep on hand that wont ruin my whole day. Its just to easy to get to the stuff thats bad for you sometimes.

JohnP
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I think you're probably not a good candidate for weight watchers or calorie counting by themselves.

I could be wrong but you sound like you're addicted to carbs. Thus I would suggest you do a low carb diet for a while and get yourself off sugar.

Personally I'd suggest Paleo eating for a while but really any low carb diet is fine.

juliastl27
10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I think you're probably not a good candidate for weight watchers or calorie counting by themselves.

I could be wrong but you sound like you're addicted to carbs. Thus I would suggest you do a low carb diet for a while and get yourself off sugar.

im a little confused by this. all she said about carbs was a little bag of chex mix?

i think calorie counting is the easiest and most flexible way to diet and i believe weight watchers is a very similar idea.

the first few weeks are HARD! just stick with it, it gets easier. going to the grocery store is a great idea. like stephanie says, the longer you do it, the easier it will become to choose foods that fill you up without ruining your calorie deficit.

JohnP
10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
im a little confused by this. all she said about carbs was a little bag of chex mix?

i think calorie counting is the easiest and most flexible way to diet and i believe weight watchers is a very similar idea.

Normally I would agree with you. I'm a strong proponent of calorie counting for everyone at least for a while to see which foods are really high in calories and which ones are not.

It's only a theory but to be tempted to cheat on day one suggests that she is either missing the sugar badly or she has a major lack of motivation.

18young
10-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I dont have "major lack of motivation" im an 18 year old girl who has been heavy her whole life! i dont really like sugary items that much so no im not addicted to sugar. Im a high school senior who is taking 13 college credits instead of taking classes at my high school. if anything is working against me its stress not lack of motivation .

98DaysOfSummer
10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Keep planing ahead and using what you learn. You learned something today - what you packed wasn't enough for you so you know to pack more tomorrow. I have been on WW for about 4 weeks (maybe five?) and every week, almost every day, I learn something new. For example, yesterday I learned that sushi has even more points than I thought so I dipped into my weeklies for dinner. Net time I'll know.

You have weekly points! Use them! That's what they're for. You won't lose 30 pounds in a month (did I read that right), but you won't be miserable either.

masterptr
10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Keep planing ahead and using what you learn. You learned something today - what you packed wasn't enough for you so you know to pack more tomorrow. I have been on WW for about 4 weeks (maybe five?) and every week, almost every day, I learn something new. For example, yesterday I learned that sushi has even more points than I thought so I dipped into my weeklies for dinner. Net time I'll know.

You have weekly points! Use them! That's what they're for. You won't lose 30 pounds in a month (did I read that right), but you won't be miserable either.

I agree.
I don't do any special diet but I make sure to write down everything I eat and try to walk every day. I don't lose a lot in a month but I can see this month is lighter than the month before, and so on.
believe in yourself. slow is alright. as long as you continue.
don't ever stop... imagine how you would be this time next year!!!
chin up Honey!!!

freelancemomma
10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Day 1 is by far the hardest, followed by day 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. In other words, it gets easier and easier as you go along. You may have to white-knuckle it through the first week or so, but as soon as you start seeing results your motivation will rise, plus your body and mind will get used to smaller quantities.

F.

LockItUp
10-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I dont have "major lack of motivation" im an 18 year old girl who has been heavy her whole life! i dont really like sugary items that much so no im not addicted to sugar. Im a high school senior who is taking 13 college credits instead of taking classes at my high school. if anything is working against me its stress not lack of motivation .

No one was attacking you, just giving suggestions. Stress. . . that will never get easier, ever. We ALL have a lot going on, stress in our lives, other things that occupy our minds, worries, etc. You will probably never have less going on in your life than you do now, only MORE as you get older. You are busy with school, yes! Kudos to you for taking on so much. Just trying to say, it will never be easier than it is right now.

Even if you aren't addicted to sugar, a low carb plan might not be a bad idea to start with! Yes, WW has worked for you in the past, but not long term. Just throwing it out there. Good luck to you!

People are just trying to help.

tricon7
10-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I made a kind of cheat-sheet for myself when I'm struggling. It's disappointing when I fall, but I try and learn from my failures so I'll be less likely to do it again. Preparation is the key. Maybe this can help you, too.

1. Don't buy your trigger foods and bring them in the house!
2. Prepare lunch the day before (for work or school).
3. Make sure you have your critical diet foods in stock and don't run out.
4. If you *have to* binge, do it on steamed broccoli, 100-calorie popcorn bags, or juice (my standbys - choose your own) .
5. Hungry? Get busy and take your mind off it. It'll pass.
6. Find ways to get motivated, using things like images (super-fit people, the way you used to be, et al), motivational music, etc.

threekidsandasheltie
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Personally I'd suggest Paleo eating for a while but really any low carb diet is fine.

I agree, i think low carb might be a good option for you. Good luck :hug:

CIELOARGE
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I think it's hard because you weren't prepared. Tonight make sure you plan your meals for tomorrow. Since your fruit and veggies are "pointless" I would make them my snacks and have 3 healthy meals.

I also agree with the low carb approach. But that's just me ;)

gatorgirl6
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
It gets easier. When I was having trouble dieting I could always make it through day 1, but then would blow day 2 and then give up for a while and try again in a week. That got me absolutely no where. When I finally learned that it is not always about motivation, but more about commitment, I started having more success. I find that I do better when I workout on a regular basis. I do better when I limit my sugar and carbs. Stick to your diet and see what works for you. You may learn that somethings are perfect for you and others you need to tweek. There is no right way to do it for everyone - it is very individual. In any case, know that when you want to cheat or celebrate we are here for you. We have advice, support, and friendship to offer. You can do this. You just need to believe in yourself and make sure you don't let yourself make excuses. Good luck!

juliastl27
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
starting up just kind of sucks.

before you switch up your plan id give it a little time to get into your "groove" so to speak.

NolaMama
10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
It's difficult to change your lifestyle... Diet, breaking bad habits... You're mind and body aren't used to it. I am a yo-yo dieter and I know better than anyone what it feels like to want to throw in the towel (done it so many times). I've always wanted to lose weight for vanity reasons. Now as I am approaching 30, with a young daughter, I am realizing how important it is to make a LIFESTYLE change to not ONLY look better but to feel better and finally be a healthy woman. I believe that's the mind set you need to have in order to succeed and keep the weight off for good. Don't look at it as a diet... But a favor to yourself to be a healthy woman!

lucky216
10-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I started dieting five weeks ago. I'm doing a WW/low carb, low sugar plan. The first week was TORTURE. I had hunger pains, cravings, headaches, and basically felt like poo. I stuck with it though. I read something on here about how it is ok to be hungry(sometimes). I'm not going to pass out or die. I stuck with it and my body has adjusted to my new lifestyle. I've lost 22.5 #s!! It is so worth it. It will get easier, and you will be so happy with yourself. All the tough times will pay off in more ways than you can imagine. Planning meals is a key to your success. You can do this!

JohnP
10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Looks like I stand corrected. I always had thought day one was easy to get through and it started getting tough day 2 but apparently many folks have trouble on day one.

Best of luck.

juliastl27
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Looks like I stand corrected. I always had thought day one was easy to get through and it started getting tough day 2 but apparently many folks have trouble on day one.

Best of luck.

i know what you mean, im all gung ho on the first day, but just the beginning in general is hard for me.

i have a hard time until it becomes "habit". once im starting to know/remember what has how many calories and get very used to tracking it gets a LOT easier. usually a month or so for me.

JohnP
10-09-2012, 10:20 PM
i know what you mean, im all gung ho on the first day, but just the beginning in general is hard for me.

i have a hard time until it becomes "habit". once im starting to know/remember what has how many calories and get very used to tracking it gets a LOT easier. usually a month or so for me.

Experts say that getting rid of old habits is impossible because of how our brains work but you can build new habits and it takes 20-30 days to do it.

Unfortunately as most smokers know those old habits are always lurking ...

juliastl27
10-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Unfortunately as most smokers know those old habits are always lurking ...

^i know about this more than anybody^

HungryHungryHippo
10-09-2012, 11:14 PM
You can totally do it!! The first day is absolutely the hardest. And you say fruit and veggies are free? That's great! So even when you're out of points, you can still have a banana, or some grapes, or some carrots...Right now, fruit might not seem like such a big deal, but as you "detox," it's going to feel like more of a treat. Just to get you started, you can also lean on diet soda, Crystal Lite, sugar-free Jell-O (like 15 calories), chewing gum, pickles, etc.

gatorgirl6
10-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Also feel free to come over to the 20-somethings subforum. While you may not be in that age bracket just yet, we totally relate to the stress of classes, being young, and trying to lose weight. I'm not saying everyone else won't help, we just are in similar circumstances.

18young
10-10-2012, 09:58 AM
thank you everyone for getting me through my first day! its on day two and im already feeling better. i weighed myself this morning and am down 2 POUNDS!!! just after cutting out most of my bad foods yesterday! I feel so much better about this because i feel like i can do it, like maybe being a little hungry between meals or not having my favorite snack food is totally worth waking up to this feeling :)

juliastl27
10-10-2012, 03:52 PM
thank you everyone for getting me through my first day! its on day two and im already feeling better. i weighed myself this morning and am down 2 POUNDS!!! just after cutting out most of my bad foods yesterday! I feel so much better about this because i feel like i can do it, like maybe being a little hungry between meals or not having my favorite snack food is totally worth waking up to this feeling :)

there ya go! :hug:

linJber
10-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I just sort of breezed through most of the earlier posts, so I hope I'm not repeating too much.

1) I think it gets easier as you go along for a couple reason. You get used to it, you realize you have to do it, and eventually you just do it.

2) Talk with your mom. If she's doing WW with you, that should be a help to keep you on plan.

3) Good for you for doing this when you're young. A life long habit started yesterday! Be proud of that.

4) Some days we goof up. Make sure it's just one slip and not a long string of them.

5) Congrats on being a great student. Life can be so good if you let it. Be a good student in life, too, and learn what works and what doesn't and keep the good habits for the rest of your life.

6) I just hit a year of maintenance - my new motto is, "One down, hopefully 35 or 40 to go." You'll do this. It isn't short term, and once we get our heads around that, we are usually good to go. you WILL do this!

Lin

masterptr
10-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Way to go 18!!!!
Keep up the good work!

mom23kids1
10-19-2012, 11:13 PM

One think I've just learned by starting a low carb/low sugar plan, is that there is a LOT of hidden sugar out there. Did you know one serving size of milk has 12 grams of sugar?! I had no idea! I was also surprised to find out how sugary some fruits and vegetables were, like tomatoes and onions. So, even if you're not purposely eating a donut, you may be getting in a lot of sugar without realizing it. I'm now keeping my sugar intake to 15 grams or less a day. It's been a real eye opener to see how much sugar I was consuming everyday before I started tracking.

ControlW
10-20-2012, 04:45 PM
My advice would be to give yourself a few more points for now. Losing weight is about creating a new lifestyle for yourself, and that takes time. Trying to do too much might lead to burning out (it has in my case). So, give yourself, say, 38 points for the next two weeks. Doing this will lessen the stress and help get you into the habit of counting the points and learning out which things have too many points for their tastiness to you, which foods you don't yet realize that you like, and all those things that no one can really help you with too much. Leave any significant calorie restriction off the table for a couple weeks. Then you can slowly head into it. (I know that I myself used to eat sugar, sugar, sugar, but over time, my affinity for it has declined, meaning that things that I would eat before are now too sweet and that I have found new less sweet things that I enjoy now that I wouldn't have before. )

It's like learning how to ride a bike. It's always slow and tentative at the beginning, and you're trying really hard. After a while, though, it gets both faster and easier. But you're not there yet, and in a very real sense, you shouldn't be there yet. What's important for the first week or two is getting on the right path, not going down it.

theox
10-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Congratulations on making it through your first day! :carrot:

Weight Watchers is a program that tends to work well for people who work it. As you learn more about healthy eating and get more experience planning, it will probably get easier. Keep at it.

Stress comes and goes, and transitioning between different stages of your life (e.g., high school to college) can definitely be stressful. It's great that you recognize that that can be an issue for you. Like another poster said, you might find the 20-Somethings board especially useful, since there are a lot of people on there who are in about the same place as you are.

stimkovs
10-20-2012, 05:47 PM

I think you are most DEFINITELY motivated, and you're giving it your earnest.
Being in school and trying to "diet" or even lead a healthy lifestyle is HARD. Losing weight is hard, but being fat is hard as well.

What else did you eat today? I think quite a few people on this forum are quite well versed in the ways of the WW to be able to maybe give you some advice/suggestions? But you have to remember that not everything according to 3FC is gospel, take the suggestions, review them and make decisions which are right for you.

For me, I started on WW. When I was at my heaviest- this was my "general" game plan (I was in my second year of collage, with a collage meal plan, and had to "make do". For me, I think the first 30-40 lbs came off QUICK- literally, my MAJOR changes were having a good breakfast (I've always been a proponent of the eggwhites or oatmeal for bfast). Then having a tuna salad (light mayo - mustard is another good sub) for dinner/lunch- so greens, tomato, cucumber, little onion, boom. Mind you I was exceptionally broke in 2nd year, and tuna is cheap lol.

Planning is hard, it's time consuming. But it seems that if your mom is also on WW- are you living at home? Because sharing some of her recipes would be a good idea!

HungryHungryHippo
10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey 18Young--I just wanted to check in with you, and see how you're doing! College can be a tough time for dieting. Freshman 15 isn't a cliche for nothing!