Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat October 8 - October 14

BillBlueEyes
10-08-2012, 05:16 AM
I'm with DW visiting her elderly mother and other relatives. All meals are extended affairs with multi-generations. And many, many dishes including pastas and carbs of all flavors. I'm trying to make sane choices within the chaos - with partial success.

But there was joy in the heart when the three year old adopted me to read me a series of 'her' books. I was the only adult around who hadn't heard the books read a dozen times or more. Kids are good at finding new humans to serve their needs. I got to watch kids stop eating when they didn't want any more - trying to remember if I ever stopped eating when food was still visible, LOL.

Mudpie
10-08-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm with DW visiting her elderly mother and other relatives. All meals are extended affairs with multi-generations. And many, many dishes including pastas and carbs of all flavors. I'm trying to make sane choices within the chaos - with partial success.

But there was joy in the heart when the three year old adopted me to read me a series of 'her' books. I was the only adult around who hadn't heard the books read a dozen times or more. Kids are good at finding new humans to serve their needs. I got to watch kids stop eating when they didn't want any more - trying to remember is I ever stopped eating when food was still visible, LOL.

It sounds like a very lovely family time Bill. I find I don't have difficulty walking away :no: from the table when I am full if I take care to put small portions :yes: on my plate initially.

We are having our first "winter eating" holiday today - Thanksgiving. DH and I are going kayaking this morning. I'm squeezing in a cat sit around noon. Dinner will be quite simple - the turkey is already made (I buy amazing :D rotisserie ones from a portugese place), I'm steaming green beans with dill (leftover go in my lunch tomorrow), and the lower cal version of scalloped potatoes I do will be prepped in about an hour and then popped into the oven at the appropriate time.

I am going to relax :yoga: and catch up on some reading in the afternoon. I gave Lucy (the dogsit dog) my all for 10 day and need to recharge. It was fun though - loud, exhilarating, exhausting fun. :hyper:

The best moment of the sit was yesterday afternoon. Lucy and I went for a walk along a very underused portion of the beach (due to a long treacherous scramble down a steep rocky hillside covered in fallen trees to get to it). I wish I had taken a camera along (pic = 1000 words) but I don't know if it would have come back in one piece.

The hillside that runs parallel to the beach is very steep and covered in brush and trees, some of which are turning with their fall colours. There are a series of man made lagoons with outcrops of big boulders piled quite far out into the lake. On our way back from our 2 hour hike Lucy had calmed down considerably. I just let her run all over the place and swim and sniff and just be a dog. This relaxed her enough that when I climbed out to the end of one of the boulder outcrops she came with me (nimbly jumping from rock to rock like some strange spindly legged goat) and sat down on my shoes. The lake was mirror smooth and there was a lone canoeist way out on it. The sky was amazing - huge with all sorts of different clouds and many shades of blues and grays. The lake's colour mirrored the sky. Lucy leaned contentedly against my legs as I surveyed this beautiful serene setting. AAAHHH - breathing room. Hard to believe there was a city of 3 million people minutes away from us.

I will recreate this feeling in my mind time and time again the next few months. I hope to "borrow" Lucy some weekend and do this walk again. It makes her calm down like nothing else can. I would like to share that feeling with her again.

Dagmar :sklol:

saef
10-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Dagmar, that sounds like a moment that will stay & stay. When people say jokingly, "Go to your Happy Place," you'll know exactly where that is.

My mother will be leaving today, which always leaves me with mixed emotions: Relief, but also, after a little while, a kind of emptiness. I need to remember the mantra that food won't fix that.

My apartment finally coalesced this weekend, as we hung curtains, a mirror & brackets and a big architectural pediment, and we finally unrolled my living room carpet. We're still not done, with three other major things to hang, but these may require the intervention of a carpenter to ensure they stay on the wall, as one is a repurposed fireplace mantel, which I am turning into a shelf, one is a hanging corner cabinet and the other is a bed crown, from which curtains are going to festoon around the head of a bed. So the place remains a work in progress, but I'm much further along than I was at this time last week.

I'm working today, despite Columbus Day. Really working. I need to finish up a PowerPoint presentation draft ("preso," in work lingo), listen to a recorded session in preparation for writing a report on it and meet with an analyst about a writing project we'll start later in the week. Already I am missing the weekend.

CherryPie99
10-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Good morning all and Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends, including Dagmar! I live in NY, 30 minutes south of Canada, so we have had a ton of Canadians shopping in our area this weekend!

On the agenda today, DH and I are taking his 94 year old father out to lunch and then are going to pick apples. It's pretty chilly but beautifully sunny, so I hope it will be a great day!

I am holding steady at 117 pounds and am very happy about it. I am going to Ponderosa for lunch (yikes!) but since I ran 12 miles yesterday, I can afford a little over indulgence, I think. I'll start with a big salad to help fill me up some.

I have the meeting the MD scheduled with the nutritionist this week. I am anxious to see what she has to say about my weight and eating habits. I'm pretty confident and not sure that I need this appointment, but since insurance pays completely for it, why not go for it?

Jen

Megan1982
10-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi all,

Once again I'm not quite sure where my weekend went. I did some fun things, but as I'm sure you've figured out I'm one of those people who needs to get some things done around the house to feel productive and this morning I'm left tired and feeling behind for the week already. Surely one of these days I'll pull myself together. Sushi night with the girls Friday was delicious and I got to see several friends I haven't seen in months. Yesterday I went to see "Crimes of the Heart" in the city with friends. It was a good play and very well performed. Of course it seems that the trip takes the whole day. I tried to stop by my friend's small town local grocery store on my way home since I was right there, rather than travel out of the way to my small town grocery store, and the produce section alone made me so annoyed and sad I just left. Instead I went home and ate too much pasta. I still need to go to the grocery store and didn't get enough exercise, nor did the dog. I caved and just dropped her off at daycare this AM, accepting I will take her twice this week. Poor thing shouldn't suffer bc I can't get myself together. I made no headway on gathering props for my play, set design, let alone tidying my house, and slept poorly once again last night, which is probably the biggest determinant in my current mood. Sigh.

Dagmar, Happy Thanksgiving! Your walk with Lucy sounds so nice. And hey, you got her to calm down and rest her head on you? Sounds great for this very active dog you've described to us.

Jen, I vaguely remember eating at a Ponderosa once during my childhood in PA. Do they have a big buffet? Have fun apple picking! I am curious what the nutritionist will tell you.

Bill, sounds like a really nice visit w your DW's family. Nice to be "adopted" by this girl. Spending time w the kids or the pets is always a good distraction for me as well, when I'm at loose ends and want to get away from the food.

Saef, glad to hear your apartment is coming together.

Is it only Monday? Have a good week all. :tired:

alinnell
10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Good morning! Happy Thanksgiving to all you, Dagmar, and any other Canadians out there.

I made a wonderful pasta sauce yesterday and served it over ravioli. I bought a different brand of ravioli and they were much better than the old brand. Who knew the store brand would be better than the national brand I used to buy. It also claimed fewer calories.?

DH and I spent over 3 hours Saturday cleaning our back patios, furniture and grill. It's the one thing we do that make it feel like fall. Since everything was so clean, we ate al fresco both weekend nights. It is so nice to have that huge chore done (and even better that we can sit out there and not wonder what kind of muck we might be sitting on as everything is clean!).

My in-laws are scheduled to arrive back here on Tuesday for the season. It's been a long summer without them.

bargoo
10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian Neighbors !

traveling michele
10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Dagmar! Sounds like you have a great plan for the day.

Megan-- my dogs could use some doggy day care too. They need more walks from me.

Hi to everyone else. I'm late getting started at work due to having to clean up a mess right before I left home-- my cat decided to projectile vomit from on top of a bathroom counter-- quite a mess to clean up!

ICUwishing
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
:wave:

Bill, agree that we can learn some good things about watching kids eat. When mine's done, no force on earth can get him to eat one more bite - he has actually left half a slice of pizza on his plate - "I'll finish it later". Weird ...

Dagmar, Happy Thanksgiving! It's good to know you have a happy place. :) Sounds like Lucy has one too! Did you get through Saturday all right?

saef, I'm glad your nest is coming back together. It will be a beautiful home again!

cherrypie, I think I can count multiple decades since I've been in a Ponderosa! Enjoy the splurge - if it makes FIL's day, that's worth a lot. :)

megan, it sounds like you need a weekend to recover from your weekend! Hope you can get to bed early tonight and have a "do-over" Monday tomorrow.

allison, congrats on knocking off the big fall job - it feels so good to check a major task like that off, doesn't it? How do you know it's fall if it's still in the 90's? Michigan has lots of clues - the trees are almost at peak color, and my patio is about two inches deep in leaves already. And we saw our first hard freeze last night. :eek:

All the priming is complete, and I think the ceiling may only have needed one coat. Hopefully I'll get home in time to see it in the daylight. I might throw the last pint of paint up there anyway - better on the ceiling than in the trash, I think. I'm taking tomorrow off to do the walls. The paint color is "River Mud" - doesn't that sound lovely? :p I don't know quite how to describe it; it's in the yellow color family but way off into the taupey/gray/brown. I'm not a big fan of yellowish anything, but that's what it took to meet my requirements of playing nice tonally with a red oak door and trim, a cherry-finished vanity, and very earthy shower curtain. And if I hate it, well, it's just paint, and I still have another weekend I can burn if I have to pick something else.

alinnell
10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Becky~the telltale sign that it is finally fall in the desert: out of state license plates.

Oh! I went out back this morning at the office and the little feral kitty let me pet him! He actually ran up to me as I brought his food out and kept getting in my way to the point where I was afraid I'd step on him. Then I put the food down and he just let me pet him and pet him! He's so soft. Next we'll need to trap him to get him neutered. I don't know how he'd react if we tried to pick him up at this point.

traveling michele
10-08-2012, 11:09 AM
How sweet Allison! What color is he?

Mudpie
10-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh! I went out back this morning at the office and the little feral kitty let me pet him! He actually ran up to me as I brought his food out and kept getting in my way to the point where I was afraid I'd step on him. Then I put the food down and he just let me pet him and pet him! He's so soft. Next we'll need to trap him to get him neutered. I don't know how he'd react if we tried to pick him up at this point.

Slower is better with ferals. Although this little guy doesn't sound so feral any more. It would be best to feed him in his transport crate, without shutting him in of course, a few times and then take him to the vet. This way he associates the crate with a good thing and doesn't get scared of people picking him up - good for future adopters.

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Michele~he's a ticked gray tabby. His face looks like a regular tabby, but his body is more ticked rather than striped. He has a black line along his spine and the rest is ticked. He had a sibling that looked a lot like him, but the sibling has been missing for a few months, so I'm pretty sure he or she died. He's about 6 months old now, so still a kitten,

Good idea on the crate feeding. Thanks, Dagmar. Right now his "house" is the little trailer we have for hauling the golf cart around. He eats and sleeps under it and sometimes hangs out in the corner where we have some skylights stored. We're going to have to use the golf cart trailer tomorrow, so maybe I should get a carrier and put it out there today.

DH is going to take a video today of me feeding and petting him--I'll post a YouTube link to it later.

Here's the video: kitty kitty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObujEpRqKbg)

Mudpie
10-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Good idea on the crate feeding. Thanks, Dagmar. Right now his "house" is the little trailer we have for hauling the golf cart around. He eats and sleeps under it and sometimes hangs out in the corner where we have some skylights stored. We're going to have to use the golf cart trailer tomorrow, so maybe I should get a carrier and put it out there today.

DH is going to take a video today of me feeding and petting him--I'll post a YouTube link to it later.

Here's the video: kitty kitty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObujEpRqKbg)

Watching the video I can see he's very comfortable with you Allison. a lot of cats don't like to be touched while eating. His tail shows that he's a bit nervous but just a bit. I would definitely get the carrier there ASAP as moving the trailer will probably cause him a great deal of stress. Most ferals do not like being exposed and you are taking his "hideout" away.

If there is something else that's quite large that you can put the carrier under all the better.

Dagmar :dizzy:

BillBlueEyes
10-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Dagmar - Your rotisserie turkey sounds yummy; I'll have to search to see if that's available around here.

We returned home with a couple of silver serving spoons. I just tried to polish them. What a pain! Anyone have tips on how to polish silverware without going bonkers?

saef
10-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Yes, Bill. Do it while watching an engrossing movie or one of your favorite TV shows. I'm afraid it's one of those dull jobs requiring patience and what used to be called "elbow grease" but it can be a very calming & centering activity also if your mind is otherwise engaged.

My mood has improved somewhat today. I believe that in a weird way I was grieving for my mother after she left, departures being a rehearsal for death. We get along so much better when we're visiting each other rather than living together for an extended period of time, and when we're task-oriented, like getting the living room arranged and pictures and objects hung on the walls.

CherryPie99
10-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Ahhh... Ponderosa. Yes, for those of you who don't know, they feature a GIANORMOUS buffet. They do have a huge fresh salad bar with fresh fruit. I started there, but didn't finish there LOL. Most of their other stuff is a lot of "down home country" (read fried) foods.

And they have a TON of awesome desserts. As expected I ate a lot... scale is showing up 2 pounds this morning, but most of that will go away in a couple of days I'm sure.

Since I'm new to maintenance I'm still figuring all this out, but it's nice to be able to go off plan once and a while. I RARELY allowed myself this on the way down, but I want to be able to do it once and a while now that I'm at goal.

Allison - we recently rescued a feral mother cat and her 4 kittens. We spent a month nursing them to health and taming them. We found homes for mama cat and 3 of her kids, but DH got really attached to one of the kittens, so we adopted him. We now have 10, yes I said 10, cats. We are nutbags!

In other news, I had a contractor come out to look at re-doing our kitchen. I got really excited about this and started looking at flooring and countertops this weekend. I was expecting that the contractor cost would be in the neighborhood of $2,000-$2,500. I got his quote this morning and just for his part - not including flooring or countertop costs - would be $7,000!!! WAYYYY out of my price range. So I am really disappointed.

Jen

alinnell
10-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Dagmar~the kitty has already had his first "home" removed. He and his sibling (that has been absent for 2-3 months) were "raised" in several pallets of paving stones. They would climb inside the pallets and hide and sleep. We had been storing the pavers for a year and kept getting the company to come and take them away and they finally did a few weeks ago. So the kitty moved to the trailer--prior to that his hidey place was between some skylights that are stacked up against the building (those are still there, too). The trailer will only be gone for a couple of hours, but I will put the crate down this morning to see how he does with it.

Jen~10 cats? Wow. My secretary has 5 and I thought that was a lot! And that is disappointing about the cost of redoing the kitchen.

My Dad has decided not to fix up his basement after the flood. The insurance he has does not cover replacement costs, so they'll give him $4000 for damages. The contractor was over $7000 and that didn't include carpet. I would think it prudent, however, to replace the insulation and drywall, but I don't think he's even going to do that. I'll let he and my brother be the judges on that.

saef
10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
I meant to share some photos of what my mother & I accomplished over the weekend with hanging up stuff, rolling out the carpets, unpacking pillows, etc.

This side of the living room is pretty much done. This is the view if I swivel around completely in my desk chair.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/ViewOverLoveseat.jpg

saef
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Okay, and if you are sitting on the sofa, between the two big pillows, and looking across at my desk, this is what you see: My desk, complete with glowing laptop and water bottle. The thing over the desk is a sunburst or fan pediment salvaged from a building. I put a coat of tung oil on it, to protect it, which darkened it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/Desk-With-Sunburst-Pediment.jpg

saef
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
This part of the living room is incomplete. I have purchased another chair that is pretty much like the light blue one, only a dealer in Arkansas has it. Since March, he's been talking about sending a picker to Pennsylvania to meet up with me & hand it over. That still hasn't happened. Even if it had, I'd still need to get it reupholstered. So my armchair is left lonely without a mate. Remembering highlights of its youth during the Lincoln administration, no doubt.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/LonelyBlueChair.jpg

saef
10-09-2012, 10:35 AM
To the left of that blue stained-glass floor lamp there is a length of blank wall. I can't decide whether I want to put a card table there, and hang stuff over it, or if I will get a bookcase. I really want a card table, but I really could use a bookcase.

Anyway, so there is the living room, thus far. There are three paintings that I still need to hang. Well, four, when I finish paying for the big one & pick it up. I got it from one of those nice dealers who is willing to hold something and accept periodic payments.

I feel much more settled. Just a week ago, there were bare walls in the room, bare floors and boxes with stuff in bubble wrap in corners of the room & hidden in the living room closet. Now I have some kind of liveable atmosphere around me again.

paperclippy
10-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Saef, your apartment looks lovely!

Not much to report here, same old same old. I'm off to Seattle Friday night for a week-long conference and I'm a little stressed because I'm supposed to be staying with a friend Friday night and I can't get a hold of her.

Shannon in ATL
10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Saef, your apartment looks beautiful.

Megan1982
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Hope you can get to bed early tonight and have a "do-over" Monday tomorrow.

Yes, a do-over is what I need! Today is going a little bit better. I got more sleep, though still couldn't get to bed early last night. I went to the grocery store yesterday and stocked up on some healthy foods to cook this evening, took care of some director duties, and at least the dog is tired from daycare even if I didn't get a workout in. This is probably what my life will look like until Thanksgiving, though. :dizzy: At least I didn't even feel like stuffing my face with food yesterday.

Saef, your home looks wonderful! I really like the rich lustre of all of your wood, and how you carry the blue in little ways throughout each item in the room. What a unique and interesting pillow on the couch, too (the one with the cherubs? I think that's what they're called).

Allison, sorry to hear about the costs at your dad's. I'd think at least insulation would help retain heat/AC - where does he live again? Good for you for helping your office kitten. I can't watch the video since I'm at work but will try to check it out later.

Jen, I have no control at buffets. 2 lbs is not bad. You're right, it will come off in a few days. Bummer a new kitchen will cost too much, but now that you know the price perhaps you can give yourself a savings goal so you can do it in a few years.

Bill, my mom would pay my sis and I something like a dime a piece to polish silver when we were little. Got any kids nearby to foist this chore off on? Be like Huck Finn and the whitewash fence - make it look fun! ;)

Dagmar, how was your Thanksgiving celebration?

Have a good do-over Monday, everyone. :)

Shannon in ATL
10-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Do-over Monday sounds awesome.

bargoo
10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
saef, your apartment is beautiful, I knew it would be .

ChrisMohr
10-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Dagmar, and Bill, I can SOOOOOOO relate to eating after satisfied and then eating more. Can I feel comfortable with appetite hunger and then not eat too much to protect myself against fear of that hunger? For the first time in my life, after some real inner work, the answer is yes. I move forward towards the holidays and the chillier days with trepidation but a real hope that this time I can "go to that happy place" where I can feel safe and OK and not eat more than I need. As a result, it's now October 9 and so far no net weight gain at all since reaching my goal in August! One day at a time... to paraphrase my financial advisor, past failure to perform is no indicator of future success... the fact that I have regained weight in the past is not proff that I have to stay in that same rut now!

alinnell
10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I'll take a do-over Monday as well!

saef~beautiful!

I'm "working" from home while awaiting my window washers. I was given an 8 AM - 11 AM window. It's after 10 and still waiting for them to show up. I hate this. I also have a vet appointment at 2:30, so my time at the office will be stressed to get my work done. I hate that, too.

So my cable phone has not been working (again). It rings, but then when we try to answer, it says system busy, try again later. And I can't make outgoing calls. So while I'm stuck here waiting, I'm on live chat with TWC. It takes 10 minutes between my typing and his reply. More waiting.

And I left my doggies at the office. I feel kind of alone as the cats are off napping.

CherryPie99
10-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Ok, guys, I need your help. I was just informed that I am being invited to lunch with some mucky mucks from the state for tomorrow. They want to eat at a new Japanese place that just opened.

Here is the menu: http://ruyiasianfusion.com/Catalog.aspx?cid=37

I have never eaten Japanese food before.

Can those of your that are more worldly then me give me some suggestions on healthy things to eat here?

Jen

alinnell
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Ok, guys, I need your help. I was just informed that I am being invited to lunch with some mucky mucks from the state for tomorrow. They want to eat at a new Japanese place that just opened.

Here is the menu: http://ruyiasianfusion.com/Catalog.aspx?cid=37

I have never eaten Japanese food before.

Can those of your that are more worldly then me give me some suggestions on healthy things to eat here?

Jen

Don't do tempura (it's wonderful to eat, but it's battered and deep fried food). Avoid the fried rice as well. Too much oil there.

I would do the lunch special. Miso soup or salad with maybe the cucumber roll. Of course some of the Asian Cuisine lunches are pretty good served with the brown rice. Just keep in mind that glazes are often sweet and therefore more calories. Saute would mean in oil, so be careful there.

Or gosh, just get a salad.

WardHog
10-09-2012, 03:08 PM
saef, your apartment looks beautiful!

Allison, our former feral kitty now spends about 23 1/2 hours a day sleeping on various soft surfaces in the house. I started feeding her and her siblings thinking that they might help keep down the mole and chipmunk population in our yard. One cold, rainy day I opened the door; Alexis walked right in and she's never left. Meanwhile, the moles and chipmunks happily multiply and dig all in our grass. Once we got our dog the other feral cats won't come near our house.

Megan1982
10-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Jen, have you ever tried sushi or raw fish? Usually at the restaurant they will have a more detailed description of what ingredients are in each roll. Like Allison said, tempura means deep fried, and also spicy sauce has mayo, eel sauce surprisingly has sugar in it. If they have special rolls with words like "explosion" or "volcano" or things on top with spicy sauce, they are usually quite rich. Sashimi is raw (or usually raw?) fish alone. Miso soup is quite light and low cal, and I think wonton soup is pretty light. Seaweed salad is yummy and healthy but not enough for a meal. I like raw fish, so I often order raw tuna and it sounds like they have several good-sounding raw tuna appetizers (under "from the sushi bar"), but they have seared tuna also. The tuna and avocado salad sounds yummy. If you haven't been to a Japanese restaurant before you'll have to ask questions anyway, perhaps you can glean some more info before ordering. The Asian Cuisine Lunch options all look pretty fried and heavy on the sauce to me. It's nice they have a brown rice option.

bargoo
10-09-2012, 04:50 PM
ward . if you want the feral cat or any feral cat to keep the mole or chipmunk population down, DO NOT FEED THEM when they are hungry the moles and chipmunks will be mighty appealing to them.

CherryPie99
10-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am new to eating fish (although not shellfish) and I have never had raw fish. What do you guys think about the coconut soup with the scallops, clams in it? Coconut broth has to be good, right?

Shannon in ATL
10-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Coconut milk is pretty high calorie I think, I don't know about coconut broth. The soup sounds good, though. I might go that route - soups are filling. Though, soups at Japanese places are notoriously huge as well.

I don't love sushi, but I love seared salmon. Seared tuna is good as well. Not quite raw, so not as intimidating for me. :)

bargoo
10-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Raw fish totally turned me off until I dared to try Ceviche in a Mexican restaurant and just like Mikey I liked it !

Megan1982
10-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Morning all,

Is it Monday? Wednesday? Do-over Monday x3! Yesterday afternoon I realized it was beautiful out, and low tide, so I ran home to take Emma out for a 2-hour walk on the beach. We both had a lot of fun. :) I did my weekly cooking that I usually do on Sunday last night since I didn't have rehearsal, and ended up staying late in the kitchen working on that. I have some healthy foods ready to go for the rest of the week now. Tonight I have rehearsal but after that sleep "wins" and will be first priority.

I love raw fish! I didn't try sushi until I was about 22-23 but love it now. Raw tuna with some wasabi and soy sauce....mmm. I love ceviche, too. Scallop ceviche is actually my favorite.

Jen, coconut milk is pretty caloric but coconut water is not as bad, especially if it's not sweetened coconut water. I guess it depends what the soup is made out of.

Ward, Alexis sounds like she knows how to reach out and take advantage of a good thing!

Allison, people who are supposed to do work on one's house never show up at the beginning of the time frame they give you. Unless of course you aren't home. Then they show up early. Did they ever arrive yesterday?

Chris, congrats on maintaining for 2 months. Not eating until I'm stuffed is something I do ok with day-to-day, but struggle with at big events or holidays where there are tons of options and "special" foods. Someone on this forum (bargoo? JayEll?) told me "Eat until you are 80% full".

Have a good Wednesday, or do-over-do-over Monday, whichever you pleasure, everyone.

BillBlueEyes
10-10-2012, 10:03 AM
saef - Your condo is stunning indeed. Gotta admire your perseverance and consistent good taste.

I've completed the first pass at polishing the silver plated serving spoons. They look good enough to use now, but I may work a bit more. The challenge is to leave the pleasing black highlighting of the design while removing the apparent tarnish. The drawback is that polishing reveals any worn spot in the silver plating. I declare that it's character and move on. I'm a big fan of Downton Abbey and am inclined to think there is supposed to be someone in my basement making this happen, LOL.

traveling michele
10-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Jen-- I am a sushi convert-- love it! I'll be curious to see what you get. At my new favorite sushi spot, we get grilled edamame, tuna cerviche salad, and spicy tuna. Sometimes we get miso soup or salmon sushi. Never tempura or anything with mayo.

I need to remember and look here at home as I can't see Saef's pics at work!

Shannon in ATL
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
I think we are reaching the point where a decision is going to have to be made on DH & XW's cat. He isn't eating, DH can't get him to take any of the medications and keep it down, he isn't drinking and he is starting to make noticeable sounds of discomfort when you pick him up, isn't very steady when he walks. XW is still on vacation so I'm afraid DH is going to have to make the decision and take care of it. It is sad, and has been a tough week for him.

bargoo
10-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Bill, since you are becoming expert at polishing silver, do you think it would be cost prohibitive for me to ship a service for twelve from Ca to Mass for you to polish ?

bargoo
10-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I think we are reaching the point where a decision is going to have to be made on DH & XW's cat. He isn't eating, DH can't get him to take any of the medications and keep it down, he isn't drinking and he is starting to make noticeable sounds of discomfort when you pick him up, isn't very steady when he walks. XW is still on vacation so I'm afraid DH is going to have to make the decision and take care of it. It is sad, and has been a tough week for him.

Having to put down a beloved pet is truly a traumatic experience but sometimes it must be done. What does the vet say ?

ChrisMohr
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Megan thanks for the encouragement... The 80% full rule is a good one, and if I want to go beyond that, I am cultivating inner mechanisms to more directly experience the source of whatever emotional force is driving that.

JenCherryPie, one option might be to call the restaurant in advance and ask what they have for people wanting a lo-cal option but not too Spartan. I don't know about you, but I feel a certain social "tug" at business dinners etc not to stand out by just ordering salad. I imagine people can get uncomfortable. So when in Rome, I do the lowest-calorie option the Romans do. Oooh, bad metaphor, since the Romans invented the vomitorium...

Good news... today I'm tied for my lowest weight ever in my adult life! At 179.0 that's 35.2 pounds below where I started June 1, but more importantly, I'm seeing consistency by not going over 184 or so since reaching my goal in August.

Shannon in ATL
10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Bargoo, the vet said last week that at this point our options were either some pretty invasive surgery that likely wouldn't solve the problem (and that he might not be strong enough for anyway at this point) or just keeping him comfortable until things started to turn. When DH talked to her on Tuesday she said that once he fully stopped eating and drinking that they would talk again, so he is going to call her tonight after we see if he ate anything today. I believe that she is of the opinion that if he is suffering we should put him down sooner rather than later.

Chris - :high: on the weight low, and the maintenance since August. That is awesome. :)

Shannon in ATL
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Somehow I missed several posts before my first one this morning, I must have had the window open too long.

I'm snickering now at Bill polishing spoons and wondering when the basement people are going to finish the job. :)

I'm seriously behind on Downton Abbey. Need to get with the program.

Megan - great job on getting the healthy cooking done. Woo!

My calories have been good two days in a row now. Exercised last night. Looking good. I'm toying with fasting one day a week - going from after dinner one night to before dinner the next so no day has no food at all. Anyone ever done that?

CherryPie99
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm back from my lunch - I ended up ordering the tuna and California rolls with the Miso soup to start. Everything was delicious. Now I can officially say that I've tried raw fish! I have definitely gotten more food adventurous since I've been losing weight.

The only thing that I'm frustrated about is that I was SURE that I would get back in time to work out, since I usually workout over my lunch hour. It ended up being a 2 hour lunch (!!) and I just got back - so I don't have time to work out before leaving for the nutritionist appointment. So now I have a ton of anxiety.

I don't handle change of plans very well at all, and since this was a last minute notice I'm not handling it well. That sounds so stupid when I read it, but it's true.

Jen

alinnell
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Shannon, years ago I did a kind of fast. I think it was just twice a month rather than weekly, but it really did help. Basically it was skipping dinner every other Thursday because of an hours-long meeting on those days. They always provided snacks at the meetings, but you can guess what those snacks consisted of, so I ignored them. I did, however, sometimes come home and have a small snack if I knew I couldn't make it until breakfast the next morning.

Shannon in ATL
10-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Jen - that doesn't sound stupid at all. I don't handle plan changes well, either. it makes the rest of the day feel off and I never get my feet back under me. Try to look at the lunch choices as a win and not beat yourself up over not exercising. Out of your control and all that. :)

alinnell
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Any disruption in routine is stressful to me. Even things long planned out can cause me stress. You are not alone, Jen!

I am finally caught up to where I can have a more or less relaxing afternoon with just the usual work to be done. Why is it that so much tends to hit at once and other times I'm bored stiff here?

bargoo
10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Up 3 pounds this AM , not happy about that and don't know why.
Friday and Saturday will be challenging. DS1 has a business appointment in Gilroy so DIL and I are hitching a ride and will be able to see DS2 and 6 month old granddaughter. We will be gone all day Friday and most , if not all of Saturday. First challenge , this is a big golf weekend down there (Fry's Open) that meant paying an arm and leg plus a pint of blood for a motel We could go any time but this just happened to be when his appointment came up.Next challenge I am scheduled for fasting blood work that day, we will do that on the way out of town but that means breakfast on the road. All meals Friday and probably Saturday not on my menu. DS2 has found some ancient home movies taken by his Grandparents, I am the only one who might have a clue what and who they are so will be the narrator.Will there be snacks with the movie ? Afraid so.
Will do my best to practice portion control, I do not believe in the theory that there are no calories in food eaten on holidays or vacations.

traveling michele
10-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Good luck with your challenges Bargoo. It does sound like a fun weekend though. Sorry the scale was rude to you today.

My scale was slightly nicer. I've been doing bikram every day since my toe is so sore (hence no workout shoes)-- you would think burning 1000 calories a day in sweat would cause a big drop in the scale-- nope-- it finally budged a little this morning. Now to see if it stays there or blips back up.

Waiting impatiently for dh to come back again. He returns home Saturday afternoon and wants to go out to our fave decadent Italian restaurant so any headway I make will evaporate then for sure. Dewey has a Halloween parade/party to go to on Saturday-- he will be a hot dog (he's a dachshund). It is a dachshund party so I wonder how many other hot dogs there will be...

In other news-- we go to see dd in Arizona next week. It will be the first time seeing her since we dropped her off in August. She went to Utah for the weekend-- to the big Mormon conference-- it was her first time going to Utah. She had thought she wanted to transfer to BYU next year, but now she is saying she likes Arizona somewhat. Hoping the homesickness is wearing off and she can enjoy where she chose. It would be nice not to have to worry about transferring and all that entails.

paperclippy
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Michele, Carter was a hot dog last year! A really really big hot dog. :lol:

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon for a weeklong conference. Probably not so good to be beginning a week away from home at my red line. Oh well, what's done is done and I can't change it now. I will try to get some exercise and make reasonable choices while I'm away.

CherryPie99
10-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Good morning all!

I can't tell you what a relief it was to read that others of you have the issue with not dealing with change well. I thought that I was the mayor of crazy-town in that way!

Ther dietician visit went well - if you are interested in reading about it in detail, I posted on my blog at http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/2012/10/dietician-visit.html

But here is the cliff notes version - my weight of 115-120 is absolutely ideal according to the Dietician. She said that I should in no way go any lower the 115, period.

I took her through my typical food for a couple of days and she said that I am eating WAY too little. Her calculations put me at 1700 MINIMUM and closer to 2200 on exercise days - and I exercise every day. I have not tracked my calories strictly since July, because I entered maintenance at that time and tend to get obsessive in an unhealthy way.

For example, after entering maintenance I accidentally drank a MOCHA coffee instead of regular out of a vending machine and had a BREAKDOWN (it was not pretty) because I realized I had consumed an unknown amount of calories.

So anyway, I don't want to start counting calories again, and I have TERROR at the thought of upping them so much. (I estimate that I eat 1500-1600 per day).

I have some things to work through mentally and I realize some of this will be trial and error. I appreciate having all you guys to support me and for me to bounce stuff off of!!

Jen

alinnell
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
My stress level is through the roof!

My secretary has the flu and is on her second day out of work, so I've been doing her work. That meant doing payroll yesterday and attempting to close September books today. But one of our banks was taken over a couple months back and they did some conversion to us last month and now all my data from the previous bank is GONE. That means my bank statement, which should be for the entire month of September, is only the last 5 days. That won't fly with my CPA.

Besides that, I have people harassing me to switch to their companies. Well, maybe they're not harassing me, but I feel harassed. "NO, I don't want to switch from my payroll company to yours. I've said so every year..." But they STILL insist on visiting. "NO, I don't want to switch insurance brokers..." But they still insist on "giving me a competitive bid" which would be fine if I didn't have PAGES and PAGES of things to research and fill out just to get that bid. And the guy who came in and spent an hour trying to get me to allow them to come in for a week and analyze my business so they can tell me how better to run it. Nope, not gonna do that either.

That and the other stuff going on. I was totally wiped out last night and fell asleep watching TV (that rarely happens) so when I went to bed, I had a hard time falling asleep (the snoring dog didn't help).

Weight up half a pound this morning. No accounting for that, really.

Bargoo~sorry for your weight blip. Sorry that you're worried about the weekend. I'm confident you'll be conservative in your meal choices and will keep the snacking to a minimum. Enjoy your time with family!

Michele~I cannot even imagine an non-Mormon sitting through their conference! That has got to be the most boring stuff to sit through (have you ever watched any of it yourself?) They have the most inane way of speaking. It's hard to explain, but they really...talk...slow...in...an...attempt...to...ID K. It would put me to sleep!

Jen~I've been trying to lose on about 1700 calories a day and am maintaining pretty well on that amount so I really should lower it to around 1400 to get to where I want to be. I can't imagine eating 2200 and not gaining (even with exercise) and I'm a lot taller than you. I think experimenting and keeping good records is essential.

traveling michele
10-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Michele, Carter was a hot dog last year! A really really big hot dog. :lol:

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon for a weeklong conference. Probably not so good to be beginning a week away from home at my red line. Oh well, what's done is done and I can't change it now. I will try to get some exercise and make reasonable choices while I'm away.

Jozi (the Great Dane) has a matching costume. I wish I could bring them both but I can't handle both of them by myself!:dizzy:

traveling michele
10-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Jen,
You sound much like me in many ways. I can't handle change well. And I certainly don't like surprises in what I eat. A co-worker gave me a chai latte last year from Starbucks. I assumed it would have similar stats to the non fat lattes I sometimes drink-- I drank part of it and then looked it up and was shocked to see it had over 400 calories. I couldn't drink the rest of it.

Allison-- dd is still planning on converting so I think she is in the honeymoon phase. She is loving all things mormon. You know how converts can be!

Shannon in ATL
10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Jen - I see myself in your post as well. Seeing it written down from someone else makes me glad I'm not the only one while also making me want to take a hard look at my habits. I'm terrified of making changes, though. I hope that your trial and error goes well.

Allison - I hate hate hate hate the sales people. I get them all the time.

I love the dogs in costume. :)

DH is probably going to have to put down the cat today. Appt this afternoon, we'll see.

bargoo
10-11-2012, 12:27 PM
DH is probably going to have to put down the cat today. Appt this afternoon, we'll see.

Shannon, hugs all around, I am sure DH will be doubly upset as he will have to deal with DSS I hope this can all be explained to him in such away that it won't be too traumatic for him. Who knows the adults may be more upset that he. It's hard to tell with kids.
I just know from experience that it is a hard decision.

Shannon in ATL
10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks, Bargoo. It hasn't been a good week at all. DSS is on vacation with XW right now and won't be back until Saturday. He's had a lot of mortality to deal with in the last few years for someone so young, I don't know how he will take it.

traveling michele
10-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Bargoo. It hasn't been a good week at all. DSS is on vacation with XW right now and won't be back until Saturday. He's had a lot of mortality to deal with in the last few years for someone so young, I don't know how he will take it.

My eldest dd had a very difficult time when our pet cat died. She was about three. We ended up going to a little counseling which helped her.

I am going to be facing a minefield of food next week. During my book fair we are having special events (with food) every day! We have Donuts for Dads, Muffins for Moms, Goodies for Grands, and a Kindergarten Tea. I'm busy organizing all of the food and realizing I better bring plenty of healthy snacks so I won't be tempted!

masterptr
10-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I am going to be facing a minefield of food next week. During my book fair we are having special events (with food) every day! We have Donuts for Dads, Muffins for Moms, Goodies for Grands, and a Kindergarten Tea. I'm busy organizing all of the food and realizing I better bring plenty of healthy snacks so I won't be tempted!

:) :) :)
I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Good luck with the Book fair!!!

saef
10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
The only thing that I'm frustrated about is that I was SURE that I would get back in time to work out, since I usually workout over my lunch hour. It ended up being a 2 hour lunch (!!) and I just got back - so I don't have time to work out before leaving for the nutritionist appointment. So now I have a ton of anxiety.

I don't handle change of plans very well at all, and since this was a last minute notice I'm not handling it well. That sounds so stupid when I read it, but it's true.

Jen

Jen, of course I recognize myself in your post. It's one of my long-running problems, and one that I most frequently talk about with Michele, about my rigid adherence to my exercise routine, and also with Shannon.

I have to think that there's something perilous about undertaking the tremendous effort of losing a lot of weight & maintaining that loss, and creating a highly structured life to accomplish that task -- and then, having created a new body through one's will, to feel overly defensive about anything that threatens that structure & order, because it also seems to threaten the body and what we perceive as the new, better life we've created. With me, I feel it leaves the rational realm and enters that of ritual behavior & magical, almost superstitious, thinking, for the same reason, that I am a very frightened person seeking something protective. I perceive my exercise routine and keeping to foods that I consider benign to afford me that protection. (Of course, it does not ... and I confuse my bodily state with my emotional state & my state of mind.)

I recognize that my behavior shows I've got an eating disorder, though not as severe as the one that I developed many years ago, under similar circumstances, after losing about 90 pounds and wanting to get below 110 lbs and then under 100 lbs. My life is far less impaired than it was then, and I struggle consciously with my rigidity, and I talk about it here.

I also don't know how people are supposed to live when they are among the Reduced Obese, and have lost over 100 pounds. What in God's name is normal behavior then? Are there people who are able to make that radical change without some form of psychological disruption and suffering some vertigo from being, in effect, disembodied?

All this is a long way of saying, I sooo relate to you, and if I knew you personally, I'd be a kind of enabler, because your behavior seems so close to mine that it seems normal. How to post back to you and help you without being an enabler? When I, myself, am not sure sometimes that I want to "get better" because I fear that means regaining a large amount of weight?

I don't know but I struggle with all that here.

saef
10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Shannon, I am so very sorry about the cat (of course, I am thinking instantly & fearfully of Fritz, who is, after all, getting old) and I am also sorry that this grief and upset is circling back around to your stepson, who is the perennial subject of your concerns. I am hoping that, in comforting him, you get some closeness and maybe one good, true moment in the midst of the pain. After all, people who grieve are the ones who know how to love and how to become attached ... and those are good things, aren't they? Loving something is so risky. I think when we get pets, we are implicitly agreeing their eventual loss is worth the joy we get in the meantime.

Kind of like me trying to make my apartment as nice & comfortable as possible, even though I know that, without a floodwall, I could lose it this coming spring. I try to live for now. (Of course, I can't -- I'm fully & truly a Westerner, no Buddhist at all.)

bargoo
10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Many of you know I had to put down my beloved Sparky just a year ago. I have thought I can't go through this again and the way to insure that is to never own another dog. The last few months , though I have started thinking about getting another dog and have inquired and sent in applications to different organizations, but something always interferes and that dog that I am interested in suddenly becomes unavailable. This is not an accident , I know that fear of potential loss somehow stops me at the last minute. I am trying to overcome this as the joy a pet brings you is worth the risk.

CherryPie99
10-11-2012, 08:31 PM
God, I love you guys and being able to talk this stuff out! I have a co-worker/friend who is so supportive and tries to understand, but I know sometimes she thinks I'm nuts.

Saef, I so appreciate your well thought out and well articulated post!!! I tend to downplay the tremendous change I've made, and I think that when I was fat I honestly believed that IF I ever got thin it would solely be a physical change and would have no emotional/mental effect.

Boy was I wrong! I'm trying to remain optimistic that this, too, is temporary, and I can eventually just be normal - whatever the **** that is!

Megan1982
10-12-2012, 08:35 AM

How about Daisies for Dads, Apples for Annie, Pumpkins for Peter? Who picks the food for these things?

Jen, I was going to post that I also have great trouble with changes to my routine, but that thought made me realize I've gotten slightly better at adjusting my expectations. This is probably a good thing for me. I'm a type-A planner and overachiever in some respects, got to have my healthy food and 2 hour workouts and the rest of my life planned to a T to make sure the healthy parts actually happen. Over the past 3 years I've had to be more flexible in some ways. Work has gotten busier and I got a dog, too, so I've learned that sometimes if I've got only 45 minutes to just throw on my sneakers and walk for "only" 45 minutes with the dog, and accept that it's better than no exercise for both of us. Workouts in particular I've just had to cut back a lot, but I just try to get them in where I can.

Sorry to talk about me when I'm talking about you. ;) But I do understand. Sometimes life, work, the dog, kids, etc. interfere with our workout schedules and there is nothing we can do. Other times we just need to have a gym bag ready in the car "just in case" and sometimes we will be able to get that workout in. Regarding the dietician wanting you to increase your food intake, she may have some point, but I think you probably know what works for your body. When you went on maintenance did you increase what you ate? Maybe you could add an extra 100 cals/per day/per week, slowly increase if you're interested in trying her theory, and go from there. If you start to gain, you can stop! 700 extra calories a week can't make the scale skyrocket. Or if you don't want to count numbers, add an extra quarter avocado, 1/2 oz raw nuts, extra fruit serving, something like that instead.

Bargoo, in my experience when I've truly opened myself up to getting a dog one has found me. It's happened twice. It's funny how the universe works. When you're ready, you will find the right dog, or it will find you.

Allison, how do they force you to fill out the paperwork to give you a competitive bid? If you aren't interested, don't fill it out!

Saef, I've been meaning to ask, how do you like the liquid aminos? How have you been using it? Have you been subbing in things you would use soy sauce in?

Shannon, :hug:s for DH. He's had a rough couple of weeks.

I finally got 8.5 hours of sleep last night, the most I've gotten all week, and I feel so much better today. On a Friday, go figure. Yesterday at 4 PM I realized I had been so tired in the AM I forgot to drink my coffee :faint:. I have high hopes of actually going to the gym tonight for the first time this week. This weekend I really need to clean the house. BF also rebuilt my garden beds this week, so hopefully he will be able to pick up soil & compost for me to spread tomorrow, and hopefully I'll meet with a cast member or two to work on lines. The only social activity planned is a friend's birthday celebration tonight. After the gym, gosh darn it!

pageta
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I tend to downplay the tremendous change I've made, and I think that when I was fat I honestly believed that IF I ever got thin it would solely be a physical change and would have no emotional/mental effect.

Boy was I wrong!

You know, I have been two or three pounds over my "goal weight" (for WW) for about six months. Yesterday I weighed in and was back at my goal weight. Ever since then I have been completely shocked at the mental load that has taken off my shoulders. I did not realize those two or three pounds bothered me so much. I feel like a new person.

At one point I was 20 pounds below where I am now, and my goal is to get back there - I had never been there before in my life...since 8th grade...and, now that I think about it, I was completely freaked out over it. I'm realizing more and more what a mental change it is as well as a physical change. It's been two years since I reached lifetime with WW, and I would say I am maybe halfway to figuring this thing out.

bargoo
10-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Oh, Megan I understand about the "right' dog my problem is the fear of potentially having to lose one again. I am fighting a battle with myself , on one hand I really miss having a dog on the other hand I am afraid to take the risk, so much pain can be involved. I do plan on doing it, though. I had given away every bit of dog equipment I had , I have nothing for a dog. The other day I bought a water bowl and a food dish, I'm moving in the right direction.

ChrisMohr
10-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks Shannon for your encouraging words!
Michele, The whole snack thing for the public is so interesting. We eat well and have come to enjoy fresh fruits instead of baked goods, veggies instead of nacho cheese dip, etc, at least most of the time. Then we serve the old carby snacks to friends and colleagues. I plead guilty to this: my 59th birthday is coming up, and we're having an Italian theme at my party. A live opera singer, then everyone sings Funculi Funicula, then we all eat... a spread of traditional Italian food and red wine and a chocolate sour cream cake! Some years we have served lighter fare, but not this time. I accept it as a break in my routine for a special occasion, but for lesser events when family is just coming to visit or whatever, we try to serve things that are more in line with how both Karen and I eat regularly. I think at least some people in these gatherings would appreciate at least some things that are wholesome so they can make that choice?

saef
10-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Megan, I've been using the liquid aminos for soy sauce, yes, but also in dishes where I want a somewhat salty, savory flavor. For example, when I've made soup recently, I made up for a low-salt, fat-free canned broth by adding a little of this stuff. It doesn't take much, as it's pretty potent.

Pageta, being at an "acceptable" weight, and having a normal, unexceptional body, when you have felt "unacceptable" for years -- that is more than enough to profoundly affect one's self-image and whole psyche. I think one reason that I am such an overachiever & so hard on myself is that I have been overcompensating for all my perceived deficiencies. And so what if, one day, the deficiency that was most visible to the world disappeared? When I lost weight, I suddenly received the big payout, my dividend in Thin White Woman's Privilege. And like lots of lottery winners, the riches blew my mind. I have become paranoid about protecting it at all costs, because now, in my mind, it's the only thing that keeps me from reverting back to my former, far less powerful state of being. That seems to mean guarding the rituals & routines that brought it about. Which can make me a prisoner of my self-created rituals.

traveling michele
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Some deep thoughts expressed this morning. I wish I had more time to reflect and comment.

Pagenta-- I am with you on just a couple of pounds making such a difference mentally. My "happy" weight is 118-120. I am also lifetime with WW and my minimum weight with them is 120, so when I got below that I allowed myself a little creep room. Before I knew it, I was at or over my "red line" of 125. I'm having a heck of a time getting back down closer to 120 where I'm the happiest-- and I was there for about 2 years. Yesterday I was 123.6 and today 123.0 and I feel so much better than when I was 125. I'm sure most of it is mental, but my clothes fit better, I see less pudge in my tummy, etc. It always amazes me and disturbs me a bit too that I allow myself to get so wrapped up in a number.

Megan-- the Donuts for Dads, etc. are ideas that Scholastic promotes so we are giving them a try-- they were catchy. We haven't done them before. I would love to have healthier treats but we have already been begging the parents for the treats we are getting so I hate to ask for anything else. I would get fruit myself but I'm trying not to spend any more $$ out of my own pocket.

Off to set up for the fair!!

alinnell
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
The last few months , though I have started thinking about getting another dog and have inquired and sent in applications to different organizations, but something always interferes and that dog that I am interested in suddenly becomes unavailable.

Isn't that a bummer? When I was looking for a dog, it seemed like the organization "pushed" me towards some dogs that I was not interested in and "pulled me away" from those I wanted. Is it weird to like one dog's photo and description and dislike another? I don't think so--it's kind of a gut reaction. But it was awfully depressing to have my heart set on one dog only to be told no for one reason or another.

Allison, how do they force you to fill out the paperwork to give you a competitive bid? If you aren't interested, don't fill it out!

I wish I had. I guess it's common knowledge in the insurance brokerage world when a company's insurance is due for renewal. I have gotten at least a dozen calls, faxes and emails offering to give me a competitive bid. When I talked to my broker, I told him about this guy and he said not to accept any other comp bids because it would lock him out of getting a bid for us--and he's looking, too. I guess a lot of w/c companies will only supply ONE broker with a bid, so it's first come first served and if my broker is 2nd, he can't get a bid for me.

Megan, I've been using the liquid aminos for soy sauce, yes, but also in dishes where I want a somewhat salty, savory flavor. For example, when I've made soup recently, I made up for a low-salt, fat-free canned broth by adding a little of this stuff. It doesn't take much, as it's pretty potent.

Where does one get aminos? I assume it's a liquid?

saef
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Allison, I got my liquid aminos from Whole Foods, thinking there was no other local source for them, but I have since seen them in another more conventional, really big, well-stocked grocery store. Try a place with a big condiments section.

I swear, when I read your post about dogs, it reminded me an awful lot of the posts that I'm reading from a friend at work who's been using online dating sites extensively, seeking a girlfriend. (A job that, in a weird call, he rejected me for without my having applied for it ... he & I have a history, though, so that may not be the end of that.) Anyway, his comments about those who attract him, and those he ends up finally meeting, sound so very much like some peoples' search for a dog. Before he was ready to date, he had to do a lot of the same mental work. Because it's a risk. And because it involves giving yourself and opening up in much the same way. Same damn thing, really, I guess.

CherryPie99
10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Sorry to talk about me when I'm talking about you. ;) But I do understand. Sometimes life, work, the dog, kids, etc. interfere with our workout schedules and there is nothing we can do. Other times we just need to have a gym bag ready in the car "just in case" and sometimes we will be able to get that workout in. Regarding the dietician wanting you to increase your food intake, she may have some point, but I think you probably know what works for your body. When you went on maintenance did you increase what you ate? Maybe you could add an extra 100 cals/per day/per week, slowly increase if you're interested in trying her theory, and go from there. If you start to gain, you can stop! 700 extra calories a week can't make the scale skyrocket. Or if you don't want to count numbers, add an extra quarter avocado, 1/2 oz raw nuts, extra fruit serving, something like that instead.

I did increase my calories when I hit maintenance - by about 100 calories per day. I think your advice is good - as I said, we went apple picking over the weekend so I've been having an apple per day - which, since they are big, adds probably, what? 80 calories per day above what I have been eating?

Since I still feel energetic and I'm not close to that 115 mark, I feel okay just experimenting and seeing what works. At least I feel that way intellectually - emotionally is a whole other issue!

CherryPie99
10-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Pageta, being at an "acceptable" weight, and having a normal, unexceptional body, when you have felt "unacceptable" for years -- that is more than enough to profoundly affect one's self-image and whole psyche. I think one reason that I am such an overachiever & so hard on myself is that I have been overcompensating for all my perceived deficiencies. And so what if, one day, the deficiency that was most visible to the world disappeared? When I lost weight, I suddenly received the big payout, my dividend in Thin White Woman's Privilege. And like lots of lottery winners, the riches blew my mind. I have become paranoid about protecting it at all costs, because now, in my mind, it's the only thing that keeps me from reverting back to my former, far less powerful state of being. That seems to mean guarding the rituals & routines that brought it about. Which can make me a prisoner of my self-created rituals.

WOW WOW WOW! It is like you are in my head! But you are able to articulate it so much better then I ever could!

I said today in my blog that when I was fat my IQ used to be what I linked to my worth as a human being. Now somehow I have that linked to what I weigh.

I am determined to interrupt this unhealthy thinking for myself. So I have made a commitment starting TODAY to:

1) Value myself more
2) Be more flexible
3) Give myself allowances to make mistakes without then berating myself
4) Have more FUN in life

Jen

Megan1982
10-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I am determined to interrupt this unhealthy thinking for myself. So I have made a commitment starting TODAY to:

1) Value myself more
2) Be more flexible
3) Give myself allowances to make mistakes without then berating myself
4) Have more FUN in life

Hear, hear!