100 lb. Club - Just over the hump - 300 to 290

View Full Version : Just over the hump - 300 to 290

geoblewis
10-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I thought I'd start this group because I'm seeing a lot of the lower groups broken up into smaller progressions, but I can't seem to land with both feet and have it stick past 290. It's a tough spot to be in, at least it is for me, because I lose weight so slowly and erratically.

I've been in the 290s for weeks, briefly touching in the 280s but then back up again. It seems to be all hormonally driven, with menopause being the freshest part of the equation. I gained back up to 299 earlier in the week, but today I'm back down to 296. Have been sticking to regular daily exercise (a mix of Pilates, cardio and weight training for two hours a day). Cleaning up my diet again (I was making really poor carby and processed choices) and it's my second successful day back into IF. Plus, two days of decent sleep. I know this is the pattern that works for me. But if my sleep is off, everything fails.

I am so proud of my consistent exercise, however. I feel my muscles! Can't wait to show them off!

geoblewis
10-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Today is my third day back with intermittent fasting. I have been trying to workout an eating schedule, but there's nothing really consistent with my daily life. Still, I will shoot for an eating window from 1 pm to 7 pm. It's when I'm hungriest. Keeping carbs low for the next two weeks, at induction levels (under 25 gm/day). Not going to worry about the calories yet.

My dog and kids are not helping me with the sleep cycles. Daisy Mae wakes me up early, and my sons keep me up late. I'm tired of being angry about this all the time. Just going to have to go to bed by 10, no matter what. At least the sun sets earlier now and its finally cooler. I can go to sleep more easily.

For the weekend, I have lots of walking planned. Just going to wear myself out on foot.

geoblewis
10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I love it when my allergies and food sensitivities work for me...

Soy - it's in most processed food, fast food and most restaurant food, so I have been forced to eliminate all that from my diet. When I let myself indulge, it takes a few days to stop feeling crappy. Systems failure!

Coconut - will still eat raw coconut (love it with my French soy-free dark chocolate!), but when I put coconut cream/oil in my coffee, I experience some intestinal discomfort. But then, it totally cleans me out! So, when feeling a bit backed up, about 3 Tbs of that in my morning coffee and my pipes are cleared out within an hour!

Grains and legumes - they all spike my blood sugar. I still have cravings for sourdough bread, steel-cut oatmeal, brown rice, lentil soup, tabbouleh salad. Can't have any of it! But, I have discovered that if I want some really badly, I can manage the blood sugar spike if I do a lot of cardio within an hour of eating it. So, post-pizza workouts include an hour on the rowing machine, at least.

Just gotta go with the flow...

angieand2girls
10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Today is my third day back with intermittent fasting. I have been trying to workout an eating schedule, but there's nothing really consistent with my daily life. Still, I will shoot for an eating window from 1 pm to 7 pm. It's when I'm hungriest. Keeping carbs low for the next two weeks, at induction levels (under 25 gm/day). Not going to worry about the calories yet.

I am such a huge fan of intermittent fasting. I do believe that even after the weight loss is done, I will keep doing it as a maintenance and healthy lifestyle tool. Right now I'm doing a 4 hour eating window (mainly 11am - 3pm) and I swear when I look in the mirror each morning, I appear to be getting smaller by the day....like the fat is just melting off. I also like eating all my calories close together and then not having to think about food for the rest of the day.

With IF, if you keep it up, you'll break through that 290 barrier in no time!! Keep it up! :)

geoblewis
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, IF and I are going to stick together till they wheel me into a rest home and force me to do geriatric Jello shots. I just like eating this way.

I've been doing this, off and on, for about 18 months. Helped me break past 320 lbs to 286 lbs. I stopped doing it because I got caught up in testing my blood sugar and my doctor had me on a variety of meds for a few months. Eventually I quit the meds because 1) the weight loss stopped altogether and 2) I felt horrible and had no life at all while on the meds. I tried to eat to manage a morning blood sugar spike, but that only got me gaining weight again.

I like the idea of seeing the fat melt off me in the mirror. That's what I want!

Was thinking about a short term weight loss goal today. I hope to be losing 2 lbs per week, so perhaps 25 to 30 lbs down by my birthday in February.

geoblewis
10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Oh dear...I really had A LOT of fun over the weekend and now there is evidence of that showing up on the scale.

Oh well, back on the right track today!

geoblewis
10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Happily stepped on the scale this morning to find I lost 4 lbs since yesterday. Love it when the weekend bump up was really mostly water. Now on to the real work of getting the rest of this regain weight off.

I'm working a 36-hour fast today. Some of my 2x clothes are feeling snug again and I don't like that at all! I want new clothes for this winter! I want to be a size 20 or even an 18 by my birthday in February. I want to be out of this forum thread by Thanksgiving!

geoblewis
10-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm getting whiplash! Back up 5 lbs, then back down 5 lbs. I know, someone is thinking I shouldn't weigh myself every day. I am not a slave to the scale. I use it to help me stay honest with myself. I have tried not weighing myself and I tend to make all the wrong decisions when I do that.

I am in the middle of Day 2 with the very low carb. I'm doing very well with the carb-counting. But I still feel achy all over. This week my ribs started aching. This is new for me. Sometimes it hurts to take a deep breath. Yesterday in my Pilates class, I almost felt like crying due to the soreness. I don't know why this is happening now. I didn't even workout that hard and have worked a lot harder in class without feeling so sore. Hoping the severe cut in carbs will end the pain soon.

geoblewis
10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Okay, both feet are firmly planted in the 200s now. I'm back on track with the very low carb induction phase of my diet. And this morning, not hurting as much as I was before I started back to the very low carb eating. Today will be the test because I've taken a break from exercise for two days, soaked in a lot of healing sleep and water and I'm going to Pilates this morning.

I think I'm going to start tracking my morning blood sugar again on Friday. I have an appointment with a new doctor in one week. Hoping she can help me with the hormone thing.

geoblewis
10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Woohoo! Five more pounds to get out of this little sub-forum! :carrot:

I am loving how Atkins and IF works for me. Big goal ahead of me over the next 20 lbs...how to avoid sabotaging myself. Any body got any suggestions?

What am I afraid of? I've never been thin. Can't seem to wrap my brain around it. I haven't been in anything under a size 20 since college. For the moment, I don't want to think about that. I'm focused on getting back in to my size 22 pants and I want to be in a size 20 by the time I go on an overseas trip in April.

(See, six months till my trip and I can probably get to a size 18, but I can't really wrap my head around it so I mentally stop myself at size 20.)(Focus on a new spring wardrobe!!!!)

geoblewis
10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Ate fewer calories yesterday but over the top on carbs. Still lost another pound, but my hands feel quite sausage-like and I'm a bit achier again today.

If I'm going to overeat carbs, I need to find the right limit. I didn't eat wheat yesterday. It was brown basmati rice. So, not a gluten thing that I'm dealing with. Just carby water retention.

Tonight I'm WAY lower on both calories as well as carbs. I'm still a bit hungry so I'm going to have an ounce of raw almonds and drink a lot of water. Hands don't feel bloaty now. Hope I can get a good night's sleep.

geoblewis
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Dropped another pound over the last two days. This is good, but not as sexy as losing several pounds a week. I am so fickle! Scared and excited when the weight loss moves too quckly, relieved and disappointed when it slows to the optimum loss rate of 2 lbs/week.

It's probably time to stop weighing myself so often now. I find that I do get caught up in the metrics. A lot. Perhaps I'll just get caught up in counting the calories and carbs. Because if I stay on top of that, I will find success.

I'll have my youngest son hide the scale. He'll be glad to keep it from me. I'll give it to him Sunday. Maybe...

geoblewis
10-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I decided to hang on to the scale, just until I get back down in the 280s. And then I'll weigh myself once a week, until I decide otherwise. Just want to make sure I'm sticking to the plan. Weighing myself is very motivating.

I'm down another pound. Three pounds to go and I can release this subforum into the wild!

geoblewis
10-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, unplanned dinners out are off the table! Up 2 lbs this morning.

So are Italian restaurants!

geoblewis
10-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Woke up at 2 to go to the bathroom. Can't go back to sleep. It's now just after 3 and I feel hungry. My hands are puffy. My period started. I feel achy and cranky. It's hot...:p

geoblewis
10-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Went to see a new doctor today. She's a naturopathic doctor and I'm hoping she can help me work out my hormonal issues as well as other stuff. From our talk, she is leaning towards serious adrenal issues. She likes that I exercise regularly and she likes my food choices. I think we'll work well together.

Bouncing between 295 and 293 for three days now. The very low carb freefall seems to be over. Perhaps I need to put the scale away now.

geoblewis
10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Two days of paleative carb-eating later...back up to 297. Stoopit!

I am off on a two-day college visit trip with my oldest. The food plan is...
1. Stick to the plan!!!!!
2. No need for alcohol.
3. Bring the vitamins.
4. Get some sleep.

I have been sleeping better. That feels good.

geoblewis
10-29-2012, 08:01 PM
I kept carbs low over the weekend, but not calories. Up two more pounds! Today I'm doing pennance with dandelion greens, drinking lots of water. Been in the bathroom a LOT today!

geoblewis
10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Despite my IF, Paleo and low-carb ways, I am still overeating to manage hunger. I feel the need to switch it up again. I don't know, maybe with the ADD I get bored and frustrated. I'm formulating a new-ish plan. Still staying low carb, but not at induction levels of Atkins. I'll loosen things up and increase carbs to allow for a lot more vegetables and a broader range of vegetables. I think I'll cap my carb intake at 50 gm and see how my blood sugar does. That way I can enjoy bigger portions of veggies, plus all the lovely winter squash in season now.

As for intermittent fasting, I'm going to stick with 12 hour fasts. It's what my doctor wants to do for now. I'm supposed to eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. So I did that this morning. It's been an hour since breakfast and I'm already hungry, despite the fact that I had a 500-calorie breakfast of zucchini, eggs and additional whites, a bit of feta and olives, all cooked in ghee. Why is it that I can skip breakfast and go till 2 pm without food, but the moment I eat something, my appetite goes nuts?

Still eating on the Paleo plan (no grains or legumes, no milk). I will continue using ghee, eating about an ounce of cheese a day and eating full-fat yogurt. I hope to eat three evenly-spaced meals of 500 calories or less. I may feel the need to include a post-workout snack in the evening. That's probably when I'll have my yogurt. And I'll be drinking one smaller serving of alcohol every night.

So, let's see how this goes...

geoblewis
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Still trying to get on top of renewed weight gain. I had popped back up to 304 lbs this week, but today I'm back down to 299. I've been sick for the last three days. Nasty head cold that won't quit and chills that won't go away. Lots of tea and water, lots of brothy soup filled with veggies. And homemade sprouted wheat bread straight from the bread machine. I've had two slices a day for the last three days, with butter. All I can say is COMFORT FOOD!

I think I'm going to nap this afternoon. I hope I feel better soon! I missed Pilates on Friday and I don't want to miss it again on Monday. Downward dog with a head cold feels awful!

Misti in Seattle
11-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Hello. Congrats on making it into the 200s!!

geoblewis
11-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks Misti. :) That 300-lb barrier and I have been dancing around each other for months! When I was in the 280s, I thought I was safe! But there was Scottish shortbread in my path!

What's good now is that I've already been down to the 280s and I know I can do it again. I'm very intent to get down below 295 by Friday. I'm teaching an intro to belly dance class. My outfit is currently just a bit tight in the sleeves. Hoping to get into it by then, or I'll have to go to Plan B!

geoblewis
11-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Switched my diet to a more Ketogenic diet this last week. I'm not sure it's working yet. I'm 297 this morning. I thought I'd be losing faster, but as long as I don't lose any ground, I'm pleased. For a couple weeks, I'm eating up on protein and fats and keeping carbs low, similar to Atkins induction. Just wanted to eat more veggies and a little fruit. I guess I need to hold off on that for a little bit more.

geoblewis
11-15-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm doing the ketogenic diet with more information now. Been reading Lyle MacDonald's book about it as well as Judy Ruhl's Diet 101. Very informative and it seems to help me organize my efforts better. Although some of the math escapes me. Like what exactly should my macros be each day? Still can't pin that one down. There are online calculators, but every one says something different.

I have read that being someone like me (type 2, menopausal, very obese) will be why my weight loss is incredibly slow, even in the face of cutting calories. In the Diet 101 book the author discusses how for fatter people, we're carrying a lot more water and glycogen in our bodies than less-fat people and that it takes longer to get into fat-loss mode on a low-carb diet. So that early whoosh that continues past 20 lbs is still only water/glycogen. If that is true, then I haven't really lost that much fat and the weight I gained back so quickly since July (nearly 20 lbs) was just water/glycogen. I had wondered about all that since I was doing Atkins induction but not really cutting calories and still losing weight. This makes all that so much clearer to me.

So, for me, the ketogenic diet is to get the extra water/glycogen off me again, and then after three weeks I can drop protein off some, raise carbs some (in the form of more non-starchy veggies), but still cut calories. That's still going to be the big struggle. I'm hoping that with the very low carb my desire to eat will go away.

I've also been reading The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. She addresses the reasons people overeat. Stress is a big factor, obviously, but there are hormomal issues as well. She suggests a few supplements to take in order to deal with that. I bought some yesterday and will be starting them today. And soon my doctor will have the results of the saliva test for my hormones and the rest of my blood tests in hand. I'm feeling desperate to figure things out and get back in the weight loss mindset.

I'm prepared to skip the Holidaze goodies over the next few weeks. It's just food and doesn't hole much meaning for me other than it tastes pretty darn good. I want to celebrate living abundantly and enjoying the memories later, not eating abundantly and feeling bad about it later.

On the fitness front, with the decrease in carbs the inflammation in my joints has diminished. :carrot: Back to exercising daily. And in February, I'm going to take my APEX personal trainer exam! Then I'll be certified and can teach classes at work. I want to run fitness for plus-sizes classes and for those with other motor-skill issues. None of that running or frenetic aerobics madness!

angieand2girls
11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
And in February, I'm going to take my APEX personal trainer exam! Then I'll be certified and can teach classes at work. I want to run fitness for plus-sizes classes and for those with other motor-skill issues. None of that running or frenetic aerobics madness!

Wow! That is awesome!! I'd love to do something like that myself! Us plus-sized people need to exercise too and it's great to have an instructor that we can relate to! Study hard so you can pass that exam! :D

Sunday115
11-21-2012, 08:30 AM
You can push through it! Just try to be consistent and don't let the scale discourage you!

geoblewis
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Aww thanks girls! I really appreciate the encouragement! I soooooo want that PT cert. Started learning about proper alignment last week and I have to learn all the muscle groups and body parts (Latin medical stuff!). But I finally figured out the differences between superior, inferior, anterior and posterior. Top, bottom, front and back.

So today, after a wicked Pilates workout last night (bridges, feet on the roller, rolling legs out then in), I can feel every square inch of my hamstrings and glutes this morning! :D It used to be I hated to get sore with exercise, but now it feels like an achievement.

I finally accepted that overeating protein was just as bad as eating carbs for my pancreas. Limiting my portions to a cap of 32 gm, making breakfast the smallest portion of protein for the day at 18 gm. And no carbs for breakfast. Just eggs scrambled in olive oil and coffee with heavy cream and coconut cream. Brings my blood sugar down to where it's supposed to be before I workout in the morning. Then lunch will be heavy on the salad, with avocado and some tuna. For dinner, sauteed spinach and a couple lamb chops. And since I'm driving tonight, I'll bring celery with blue cheese for my driving snack.

So, plans are one thing. I'm great with making the plans! I'm full of hope and energy early in the days. But as the day wears on and hunger starts chipping away at my postive mindset (or I actually forget about The Plan altogether!), that's when I'm vulnerable. I tell myself that I did so great all day and a small cheeseburger and fries with a holy bottle of water on our way to Thanksgiving won't hurt. Ish! I'm going to tell the boys this morning not to let me order anything like that! In fact, if they want fast food on the way, I'll give them cash and they can go in and buy it. I'll stay in the car with the dog!

Happy Holidaze everyone!

geoblewis
11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
This morning I got the nerve to weigh myself after the Thanksgiving eating festivities. Up one pound. Not bad for having completely derailed the carb-management portion of The Plan over the course of three days! Mashed potatoes and gravy, and Kettle ridges black pepper and sea salt potato chips, and country potatoes. But I didn't overeat on quantity of foods, and I actually kept the rest of the meals quite small and managed. Just not full of veggies like I had wanted. Only one piece of pie during the three days. One bite of scone with breakfast on Friday. Did not overindulge on protein. Only had one small serving of alcohol. And I walked a lot.

Also, I didn't get enough sleep for the last three days. After getting back to my bed, I slept nearly 10 hours. Even the dog slept in!

I feel pretty good, and back into The Plan as of this morning. I have no other Holidaze plans. No parties, not invited anywhere. I'm really good with that! I want to be out of the 290s by the New Year.

geoblewis
11-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Today was a great day on the food plan! I am really low with the carbs and completely within the ketogenic macronutrient ratio and my calorie limit. I feel like all the T-day potatoes are out of my system and I'm moving forward again. Even all my joints feel good. Good workout today too!

geoblewis
11-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow, all my T-day regain is gone now. :carrot: Back on the road in the right direction!

geoblewis
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, just a bit closer to goal this morning. 295.5. With the weekend looming, I am concerned because when I'm at home with the boys on the weekends, I cook more for them, and end up tasting as I cook. I think this weekend the boys can cook for themselves! I want to break below 295 by Sunday!

geoblewis
12-02-2012, 03:12 AM
So, last night, I devoured a whole bag of potato chips. No, not the single serving size. The one with eight servings in it! Kettle Brand sour cream and onion. I have NEVER eaten a whole bag of potato chips before. I have no idea why I started on them. I just wanted a few. I even put some into a small container. Then I refilled the container. Repeatedly!

I was pretty frustrated with myself. I don't know why I wake up every day with such commitment only to lose all resolve between 4 and 10 p,m. If I can figure that out, I will have this weight loss thing licked!

I spent the day doing pennance. I cleaned my bedroom. It was pretty bad, very cluttered and over-stuffed with books and papers. And lots of dust. Now it's virtually dust-free and everything that doesn't belong in my room is out. Tomorrow I'll finish up by cleaning my closet.

My therapist suggested I clean and decorate my bedroom in anticipation of receiving a gentleman caller. Screw that. I'm doing it all for me!

geoblewis
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Waaaay past the potato chips today. Happily! Have had a couple of good really low carb days. Today I find I'm hungrier, even though I'm still rockin' the very low carb ketogenic diet. Actually, I haven't achieved the ketogenic mix today. Too low on the protein too, so I've got some turkey necks coming up for lunch in a little bit. Nom!

Stuck at 295.5 for the second day in a row. Come on fat! Melt!

geoblewis
12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
After a really lovely weekend away, I came back to weigh in at 293. :carrot:

Learned that eating to manage stress is the major hang-up and that I need to deal with stress better. Exercising really helps while I'm doing it. But I found that things like massages, and especially reflexology on my hands and feet.

I might have that done on a weekly basis till I discover other methods of stress management that don't cost so much. The reflexology is $25 for both hands and feet plus a full body massage. That's $100/month. I think I can easily give up my Starbuck's habit for this!

geoblewis
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Wow! It's been over a month since I've posted. And yet, no progress. The holidaze was a bit tougher on me than I had anticipated. I gained 10 lbs since I was last here. Unbelievable that it was so easy to do, but to get that 10 off will take a lot longer. Grrrr!

No sense dwelling on where I've been. Just focusing on where I'm going from here.

Today, so far, it's been a good day with the choices. Keeping the carb intake very very low. Have had three servings of vegetables so far today, and I am looking forward to two servings of roasted Brussels sprouts for my afternoon snack. (I know, but I do enjoy them!) This evening is my cardio/TRX class, which, to my surprise, I am beginning to LOVE!

I am struggling with water intake. According to my doctor, due to my size, I should be drinking 19 8-oz servings of water. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!??? As a middle-aged woman with incontinence issues, that seems like a daunting task. I've only had six servings so far today and the glass of water in front of me is the least appealing thing I can thing to put in my mouth at the moment. It's not that I don't like drinking water, because I do. I am not at all thirsty! I normally drink about 10 servings of water/day. I've figured out that, since I have 12-oz. drinking glasses, I can drink 13 of those a day, one nearly every hour that I'm awake. I'll probably go to the bathroom 13 times a day. I've been reading about training one's bladder. Really?