Weight Loss Support - How much weight have you lost in your lifetime?

LockItUp
10-04-2012, 09:54 PM
I was thinking today about how much weight I've lost TOTAL over the years. Not just the, you know, couple pounds a person can fluctuate when they are maintaining, but actual weight loss.

I've lost about 300 pounds in my lifetime. It kind of upset me to get to that number. At the same time I think it's a good thing to be aware of as I approach my goal. Maintenance is something I've never be good at (obviously), but I think I view it very differently this time -- every other time I never considered what I would do when I got to my goal.

I'm good at losing weight, I'm REALLY good at gaining weight. Not so good at maintaining my weight. I'm hoping that now that I am aware of how much work it will take to maintain, that I will be able to do it. I have fear though!

How much weight have you lost in your lifetime?

AmyAmy
10-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I think it's around 77 pounds. Which turns out to be more than half of what I weigh now.

Thistleberry
10-04-2012, 10:21 PM
I managed to avoid yo-yo dieting because I never thought I could lose weight. Maintain or gain were the only options except once when I was in college. I managed to lose 30 lbs calorie counting. Unfortunately I couldn't sustain it because those calories were pretty processed and not especially filling. I was hungry all. the. time. I gained it back plus twenty. It was disappointing to me but it did teach me a very good lesson and I don't think I would be at the right place mentally now were it not for that. I like to think of it as my trial run. :lol: So 30 plus my current 85 puts me at 115.

HungryHungryHippo
10-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Ha ha ha--280 pounds. (142 to 102, 7 times.) So I've lost myself twice. :-(
Hope I won't "find" myself again!

novangel
10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I've lost 30+ pounds 4 times including one pregnancy. Add it up with this current 10 pound loss = 130p approx.

Fatness
10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
This is my first time losing weight. I use to be 150 pounds and that's when i was a teenager! I was org 278 last yr. then i weighted myself again in July i was 258 and in August 30, 2012 is when i started to workout and i was 245 on that date. Today I am 225.05oz. From Aug 30, 2012 to this day I lost 20 pounds. I lost a total of 53pounds.

Fatness
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM
I was thinking today about how much weight I've lost TOTAL over the years. Not just the, you know, couple pounds a person can fluctuate when they are maintaining, but actual weight loss.

I've lost about 300 pounds in my lifetime. It kind of upset me to get to that number. At the same time I think it's a good thing to be aware of as I approach my goal. Maintenance is something I've never be good at (obviously), but I think I view it very differently this time -- every other time I never considered what I would do when I got to my goal.

I'm good at losing weight, I'm REALLY good at gaining weight. Not so good at maintaining my weight. I'm hoping that now that I am aware of how much work it will take to maintain, that I will be able to do it. I have fear though!

I understand how you feel. As I am losing weight; I'm scared I will gain it back but more. Does anyone have any tips on how to Maintain your weight once losing it?

gailr42
10-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I didn't even get fat until I was around 40. I am 70 now, and I have probably lost 150lbs since I was 40.

I hear you about having fear around maintenance.

DisappearingActs
10-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Me and my mom have always joked that we've probably lost 500 pounds while managing to stay the same weight by the end of the month.

I've never really had one of those "gained it all back" deals, but I've had many times where I set out to diet, did it for a week, lost 3 or 4 pounds, gained it back and just kept doing it over and over until I had another major wave of motivation to knock off another 20 or so. But if we're just counting real weight and not those -5 fluctuations... I first started 4 years ago at 260 something, so we'll say 115 pounds, plus that thanksgiving where I went for 178 to 194, so that would be 131 pounds in total.

Nayshal
10-05-2012, 12:53 AM
I have no idea. This is actually my first time trying to lose weight so I'd say 13-14 pounds (not counting of course when I'm sick).

juliastl27
10-05-2012, 01:13 AM
i SWEAR i almost posted this exact same thread like 3 days ago, but i was on my phone and its a hassle

im putting it around 120

freelancemomma
10-05-2012, 02:18 AM

Interesting question. Reminds me of "How much money have you earned in your lifetime?" which can also be an eye-opener. I would say I've lost about 200 pounds in my lifetime. Wow, that sounds like a lot.

F.

Beach Patrol
10-05-2012, 09:06 AM

I just grabbed up the calculator & started adding....

in my "lifetime" -using my adult years here, not my child or teen years - so, since "high school graduation" - I have lost ..... 210 lb. :o Now, if I added all the little 5 lb here/5 lb there, that number would be much higher. This last "go round" I have lost 39 lb. But as of THIS MOMENT, I have gained back 7 of those lost pounds. :( Had I reached my goal weight of 140, I'd have lost 52 lbs.

So right now, I need to lose 18 lbs to reach goal. And I'm like you, I'm pretty good at losing weight, quite excellent at gaining weight... not so hype on maintaining. And being 100% honest here, I really want my goal to be 130 or even 125, but I have 100% doubt that I can make that at all, at my age. It's been REALLY hard for me, going thru menopause & trying to lose weight. The past three or so months I have been CRAZY HUNGRY. Even to the point of majorly over-eating, like to the bursting point (bloated, sickened, etc.) and STILL wanting more-more-more. :?:

I definitely have an eating disorder. And I seriously don't know how to combat that.

LisaTcan
10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I'd say about 200 - which seems crazy because I'm only 26. I went from 185-135 twice and then since then I've got from 155-130 several times.

I'm going down again now but I'm sad to say it probably wont be the last! Especially since I'm hoping to have kids in a couple of years

Steph7409
10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Let's see: I lost 120 pounds in college, and I've lost 95 pounds this time around. I think I've had 2 or 3 other significant losses. So let's say 350 - which makes me the winner! :devil:

I feel like I'm better equipped to deal with maintenance this time. I'm much older and I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do. I've been losing really slowly for the past few months so maintenance shouldn't be much different from how I'm eating now.

Arctic Mama
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
From highest pregnancy weight to small regains, I'd say about 130 pounds. From highest pregnancy weight had not counting regains, 110 pounds. Without pregnancies and counting regains, 110 pounds. Without counting either pregnancies OR regains, 95-ish pounds.

So really, I've done pretty good with not yo-yoing! I've had a few small regains I've had to manage, but only about 20 pounds worth over the course of my 'dieting' life.

And given the body mass I started out with, I'm pretty happy with that!

Pink Hurricane
10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
When I was in high school I was ALWAYS wanting to lose 10-20 lbs even though I was not fat in the slightest, I was just curvy yet felt super pressured by all of my skinny classmates and friends. So if I add up those crazy fad diets and the time I had lost weight after being so sick, and then put back on half, and now I am taking that half back off, so far I have lost a grand total of 125 lbs, give or take 10lbs.

tea2
10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I lost about 20 pounds in my twenties, then about 50 in my late thirties, and now the same 50 is back (late 40s). :dizzy:

Elladorine
10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I averaged around 250 when I was younger, and managed to get down to 220 twice. I went all the way up to 360 (!) before making any other major losses. The only real gain I've had since then was about 25 pounds late last year, which I've since re-lost. So, to be approximate . . .

30 + 30 + 25 + 125 = 210 pounds. :o

Heh, 210 is the total loss it'll take to get to my goal and I'm only a little over halfway. :dizzy: :lol:

10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
This is the first time I've ever tried to lose weight. So 56lbs so far.

It's scary to think how many people seem to have yo-yo'ed over the years. I really hope I can manage with maintenance when the time comes.

twinieten
10-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Non dieting weight loss excluded because I have no idea.... On my first major diet in my 20s, I probably lost about 40 pounds. My second major diet in my 30s, it was 45 pounds. These were both healthy, eating right types of diets too.

Now I'm in my 40's. I'm at 60 down with 20 more to go.

Total, I've lost 81 pounds in my lifetime.

I will not be repeating in my 50s!!

Vex
10-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm guestimating here - not including the 95 lbs in this run, maybe 60 lbs?

None of those times though lasted anywhere near as long as this time which has almost been a year, so I'm very hopeful I'll be able to stick with it to the end. I've also gained nothing back over the year (not counting the water fluctuations.) so even if I don't hit the 100lb mark by the end of the month, I'll still be pretty happy.