General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Feeling beautiful and I want to talk about it!

You know, I've lost 33 pounds. 33 freaking pounds! I'm 19 and I'm seeing numbers on the scale that I haven't seen in a really long time or never. I wanna talk about how amazing that feels and how beautiful I feel.

There's a problem. I feel like right now that's all I really want to talk about. I want to talk about my weight loss journey and how I feel all the time. People seem to feel annoyed by it. Like I get the impression that these people sit there and listen and smile but on the inside they just want me to shut up.

I mean, I know there are people in my life who are just glowing when I tell them I've dropped two jean sizes or that my hormones finally are starting to finally balance out, but there are others that I'm just not confident in their intentions.

I don't know. Could they just be jealous that I'm changing my life and I'm feeling so good about everything? Or am I really that annoying?
Is talking about this stuff like a taboo?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

First of all, congrats! It's a huge deal and I know that when I"m on a losing streak, I feel like shouting it from the roof-tops. Everyone is different, but a some people don't like to hear about it. They may think of weight as a taboo issue. They may not be happy with their own weight. They may have never struggled with weight so they might wonder why this is such a big deal. Maybe they think you're bragging and that can be annoying, although you have a lot to be proud of.

After many times of gaining and losing, I have decided to make it a subject I don't really discuss much with people unless they bring it up. That's why I'm so grateful to have this place. Not only is it a great place for support and inspiration, but it's also a wonderful place for me to shout out of excitement or to cry out of frustration and everything in between.

By the way, you really ARE beautiful!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/182/135

Height: 5'4"

I think people are afraid you're going to recruit them when you talk about it too much, lol. Like your darn healthy habits will rub off and they will feel obligated to join you. You should feel good about yourself. 33 pounds is a fantastic weight loss, you've worked hard for it, congratulations!!!
LoveRyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #4  

First of all, 33lbs, you have every right to be proud! I haven't lost that much yet, but I'm also 19, and in my experience, the reason people don't really want to talk about it is because yes, they are jealous that you've seemed to make it work for yourself. So many people are still stuck in the mindset that there's some magic secret, so when you talk about how you're having success with healthy diet and exercise, they're irritated - everyone wants to hear how you dropped 33lbs by popping pills and eating chocolate! haha. I say, don't let it bother you. Be proud of the fact that you're taking charge of your life. Be happy! If they don't like it, forget them, who needs that kind of negativity anyway?
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #5  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I know exactly how you feel, and feel the same way when I discuss my successes with certain people. It's like they care, and they're proud of me, but they really wish I'd quit going on about it. Sometimes I also feel like I'm talking about it too much, but I also feel like I should be entitled to brag. I've never weighed 180lbs, or rather, I've never weighed 180lbs when it was appropriate to weigh 180lbs, so I feel like saying "Excuse the **** out of me for being excited!" I mean it's new territory and it feels nice; why shouldn't I be excited?

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly, unless it becomes a problem and someone voices to you that you're over-doing it. Otherwise, keep being happy and keep bragging and be PROUD of what you've done because you deserve it!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

CONGRAT'S to you!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations. I also would love to talk about it all the time! I think it's mainly that most people just aren't interested in hearing about *you*. The last 3 lunch or coffee dates I've had with friends, I literally just listed, no opportunity to speak really whatsoever; I didn't put a stop to it either, it entertained me. People are typically more interested in themselves and what relates to them. If they aren't losing weight, getting healthy, working out, etc., most don't care to discuss it.

That's why I frequent these boards! No one else wants to hear about my latest size of pants, or how many pounds I've lost now. I guess I don't blame them, I probably wouldn't have wanted to hear it from someone else a year ago.

Keep being excited. Just come here to talk about it!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Well, know that you can always, always, always come on here and there will be many people bursting to talk with you/listen to you.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #9  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Yep - we'll listen and be happy for you - not jealous We always want to talk about the what's the biggest part of life (pardon the pun ..) so it's normal for you to want to share your story. Kind of like when there's a new baby, etc.

So I'll be a cheerleader for you!!! Woo Hoo!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #10  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

For all the hard work you have done so far! I know exactly how you feel, which is why I joined up on a forum like this so I can talk about this all I want to without feeling like I am bothering friends or family with all of the healthy/exercise/weight loss talking but you should be so proud because you are doing great!!!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

First, Congratulations!!!

Second, I agree with lockitup, most people just don't want to listen to you talk about you for too long. It's disappointing sometimes, but that's life. And some people are jealous, especially if they are losing weight or would like to.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #12  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Seriously, guys. I teared up when reading these responses! You all are amazing!

I don't want to be that person who goes fishing for people to compliment them on life achievements, and that is not what I am trying to do, but I do want people to be excited with me. Sometimes it feels like I'm at a party and I'm the only one drunk! My parents always ask about this kind of stuff, and if I post a new picture on Facebook, my sisters always tell me how beautiful I am, but my friends just seem to not even acknowledge that I've done anything drastic. It just kind of sucks sometimes.

Like, I want them to be drunk with me.

Maybe it is just jealousy, or rather them realizing they are out of shape or on their way to the life I was living only a few months ago.

But I feel beautiful. I am beautiful. I am healthier. I am happier. And I'm gonna kick some booty. Because I am F***ing amazing!
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

People are funny. I got interested in family history, and had the same experience with friends as I did with weight loss, which was complete, eyes glazed over, disinterest. Until I got the idea to work on my different friends' family history when I got stuck on my own. Then they were interested. I guess it is like someone above posted; people are interested in themselves, not me.

So, musical fruit, tell us about yourself and your weight loss and how awesome you are. I love to hear about life-style success. Keep kickin' butt!!! Thirty three pounds rocks.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

I generally think that people do not care about what you are doing, period. They only care about what they are doing and if it affects them. I think you are doing fantastic! Keep up the good work and don't let their lack of interest dissuade you.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 342/Ticker/180

Height: 6

Cogratulations! you know some people get very jealous when they see other people do great! im proud of you girl
samiruniversal is offline   Reply With Quote