Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 11:22 PM   #1  

Default Two Year Postop Checkup

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in to add an update. I thought it might be helpful for those preops or newer postops to hear from someone who is a little farther out in the process.

I had my open duodenal switch with gastric reduction by
Dr. Anthone at USC on 04/20/01. I recently had my two year follow up appointment with Dr. A.

My labs came back with only two ranges being off. My potassium is slightly low (remedy: eat a banana every day, per the nutritionist; Dr. A also added that gatorade has a lot of potassium, but I try not to ingest liquid calories, so will try to stick to bananas). My vitamin D is also slightly low, so am adding a second allergy A&D daily. Otherwise, everything looks perfect.

My weight has been stable since October, within about a 3 lb range. I asked both Dr. A and the nutritionist about weight regain (when to expect it, if it were to happen, and how to keep it from occurring). Never did get the answer as to when it usually happened. He said a 10-15 lb regain from the lowest weight was possible. Said limiting simple carbs would be the key to stalling off any possible regain.

I have lost 160 lb since my surgery. I went from tight 32s to 12-14s. Diabetes has been nonexistent since about two months after surgery. The renal function has improved, as well. BP is normal. Nothing hurts! Back doesn't hurt, feet don't hurt. I can sit anywhere, fit anywhere, never have to think about it. I can work a full 8-10 hour day and feel FINE afterward.

I exercise regularly, bike, walking, weights, and recently went back to water aerobics. It is just so relaxing! Gets all the muscle kinks out.

I can eat about 50-75% of the amount I did preoperatively. I can eat anything, I have no food intolerances. I can eat and drink at the same time again. I am able to get down liquids better than I was at first. The infamous "bowel issues" that this surgery is known for just haven't materialized in my case. (Dr. A says I should be the poster child for this and if he could figure out why, he'd be thrilled).

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Without hesitation.

Only someone who has been super morbidly obese can understand what that is like, and only someone who has gone from that to have what "normal" weight people take for granted, can understand what an amazing thing it is.

Dawna
Old 04-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

dawna... this is sooo great!!! and the past two years seem to have flown!!! how are the results from the plastic surgery?

wonderful to see you around, by the way,, where have you been?? too busy having fun to stop by?
Old 04-18-2003, 08:44 AM   #3  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the inspiration. This week has been a struggle for me ... not sure what triggered it --- but I am battling old habits.

Your story set me straight - so that I could see the goal again - without the cloudy vision.

Thanks again for sharing.
Leanna
Old 04-18-2003, 11:20 AM   #4  

Hi Jiff,

Have been super busy, as I am now working two jobs. Add three kids and my own exercise/social/whatever life to that, and it gets busy, so not as much time to visit the boards.

The PS went well. The recuperation was easier than I had been led to believe it would be. The results were not 100% what I would have liked, so am having the tummy incision "tweaked" as well as having my arms done, on 5/14.

Lesson learned from that one: Check out your reconstructive surgeon well and listen to what you are told. If people have complaints it may very well be valid. (I had heard complaints, but had seen some good results firsthand, and decided that the complainers were just that - complainers).

The good news is that the hernia has not reappeared. I have had hernias repaired twice in the past (prior to having the weight loss surgery) so am at increased risk for them. Thankfully, he went in to repair mine with the understanding that I had had recurrent hernias and that he was to use mesh and prepare for the worst! Apparently it worked, as when I saw him at my recent check up, he did a thorough check and everything appears fine.

I know other people who have lost a similar amount of weight (160 lb) but have far less issues with hanging, yukky skin than I do. Must be partly a genetics thing.

The more I exercise and am active, the more the excess skin becomes a problem. It is more than just visually unappealing, things move that should not be moving when I exercise, and it is downright uncomfortable.

I feel absolutely fantastic. I feel so strong, which I attribute to exercise as well as the weight loss. It is a feeling I love.

I'll have to make time and visit over at the low-carb boards soon!

Dawna
Old 04-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

yes you do, dawna!!! You've been on my mind... and i understand about the saggy skin thing.. it's becoming an issue with me as well [with -267 and counting!], But, it's not my time yet.

you are an idol!!!

and leanna... talk to us.. what's been going on? you don't have to keep this inside or go it alone... honest!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 10:11 AM   #6  
Hang In There

Yes Leanna, This is the place you can get it all off your chest and be honest.

I just realized that I invited a friend from church to join us and Belva is you are out there lurking you are sworn to secretsy (sp) You must never tell Alvin how much I worry about hime, and most of all you must never ever let him know that he is known all over North America as "Ole Alvin"
Old 04-19-2003, 10:28 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

barb... just giggling over the thought of ole alvin being less than pleased with his international reputation!!!

poor boy. he'll get over it.

and hi belva, wherever you are!!!
Closed Thread