40-Somethings - Breakfast

View Full Version : Breakfast

InATizzy
10-01-2012, 06:28 PM
What do you usually eat?

I eat toast but I'm trying to get away from it.
My alternates:
40g of cheese
Small yogurt with 50g of muesli and dark chocolate
Apple or banana with PB
Egg with thin slice of dark bread

Beck
10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Oatmeal almost every day.

My favorite way to prepare it is with 1 tbsp. cocoa powder (20 calories), 1/2 c frozen cherries (50 cal), 1/8 cup sliced almonds (85 cal), stevia (0 cal), and the oatmeal itself (dry measured 1/2, 150 calories). It's a total of 305 calories, filling, and delicious.

olleharr
10-01-2012, 08:53 PM
I love oatmeal, especially on cold mornings. Some days I eat cold cereal, especially like multi-grain cheerios.

kelijpa
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I used to make oatmeal, with cinnamon, some chopped almonds (10 for some reason) and frozen blueberries, sometimes with unsweetened almond milk instead of water.

Now I'm on a smoothie kick, I don't know why I just love it, made in the blender, unsweetened almond milk (vanilla), couple kale leaves, handful of baby spinach (or two) a banana, 2 tbsps. wheat germ, sometimes a tbsp of homemade peanut butter (no oil or sugar added). Like a milkshake.

Cheerios with a banana is good too. I'm trying to stay away from the simple carbs whatever they're called that turn into sugar right away, something like oatmeal stays with you longer.

:sunny:

angien075
10-04-2012, 08:31 AM
I also eat oatmeal almost everyday. I put a little but of light syrup in it and it is amazing :)

twinieten
10-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Coffee and vitamins are my breakfast!

I like to have "grazing food" for the morning because I don't like breakfast, but about an hour or so after I get to work, I start to feel hungry. Right now, my breakfast is my Yoli protein shake. Before I was doing my Yoli diet, I'd have nuts, string cheese, sliced apples, carrots or other veggies, a hard boiled egg, or some other easy to grab and munch, and sort of graze on type of finger food.

On days off, I still more or less graze in the morning or I don't eat breakfast at all.

Big Ron 43
10-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Protein Shake in the blender with ice,,,,,,,,yummy

TzuMom
10-13-2012, 06:56 PM
I have a bagel with peanut butter almost every morning. Melty peanut butter, yummy!

masterptr
10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
when I get up (between 5 and 6):
I eat two pieces of toast with black coffee.
go out for a walk for 1.5 to 2 hours

come home and have breakfast
6 egg whites
two pieces of toast
with ketchup and mustard

jrkessle
10-13-2012, 09:31 PM
usually 2 scrambled eggs and a liter of water between breakfast and lunch.
sometimes a 3 egg and ham omelet.
no bread for me! I quit carbs 2 weeks ago and never looked back!
I also find that protein heavy breakfasts keeps me fuller longer and keeps me from snacking between meals :).

MrsTryingAgain
10-16-2012, 01:16 AM
For me I like .5 cup yogurt, a banana or 1/2 an apple & some granola. As the weather is starting to turn, I'm going to switch up ocassionally to hearty oatmeal. Small glass skim milk to wash it all down.

If I have coffee, it's only 1 cup. My usual was 3-4!! :-O I still love my coffee, but I know I need to cut back on the caffine. Soda was pretty easy to cut back on, but there is NO REPLACEMENT for my coffee! But it's going okay. :-)

Brandnewday
10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Most mornings I fix oatmeal, sometimes cold cereal with skim milk, and every once in a blue moon toast with cinnamon sugar (just a tiny sprinkling). I work at 6AM, so on my 8AM break I eat either a container of Greek yogurt or a piece of fruit. This keeps me full and helps me keep from overdoing it at lunch.

WAHMto5
10-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Coffee with oatmeal & chopped almonds almost everyday!

lyv33
10-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I eat 2 kelloggs strawberry waffles without syrup. I like them golden brown with a little crunch.

Blarney
10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Malt-O-Meal. Started eating it regularly with my pregnancies (for the folic acid) and have been loving it ever since (15 years now)

samiruniversal
10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Protein Shake! and some fruit (apple or cantaloupe) yummmm

newleaf123
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Double-shot latte with whole milk
Hot whole-grain cereal with a few raisins, a sprinkle of chopped nuts, and a dab of honey

eclecticgirl
12-05-2012, 06:57 AM
This morning I tried a new steel cut oats recipe that includes dried tart cherries and it tasted almost like cherry pie. It felt too delicious to be good for me...

chickadee2
12-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I love breakfast ideas!

lizarddau
12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
i have a variety....most days it is fruit rock melon and some kiwi fruit and morning tea is an apple..if i want a hot breaky i do some tomatoes and onions and mushrooms in the oven drizzled with olive oil and balsamic with cracked pepper and garlic powder..tis yummy...i enjoy this while hubby has sausages bacon and eggs..lol...lol..lol oh of course i have a berocca and also a coffee but i span it out so that my breaky is eaten in several hours lol..lol..lol..cause i get sooo early!!...cheers liz

avalonmoon
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
1/2 c old fashioned oats+1 tsp spirulina 1tsp chia seeds
and ..
with only one of the options here:
1tbsp bosenberry jam
1/4 c unsweetned apple sauce
1/4 c pineapple blended
1 serving pumpkin

and if I desire to do o I add a laughing cow wedge for the taste of fat. It's my indulgence.
My breakfast are usually 425 calories and under. This is satieting (sp?)

Jonjaxmom
12-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I pretty much eat the same thing every morning:

1 coffee, with almond milk instead of creamer
1/2 cup egg whites
multigrain bread with laughing cow lowfat cheese wedge

egg whites give me enough protein to sustain me until 11am, for my late morning snack!

twinieten
12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
When I got sick, I found that the addition of breakfast became necessary to avoid nausea. Cereal or other carby foods didn't help, or would make it worse. I started cooking up a gigantic batch of scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and tortillas, with shredded cheese. I make about 2 dozen breakfast burritos, put them in the fridge and everyone in my family of 5 is allowed to have one a day (the goal is to last a week). I love it! It's easy to heat, carry and eat. I measure each portion with a measuring cup so I know the calories are more or less the same in each one.

lizarddau
12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
i am getting a bit lazy with breaky lately and i have discovered a shake that is low in fats, sugars and carbs so i have one of them to start the day..i add some chia seeds and some almond milk...never had the almond milk before but love it..so i think i will buy it from now on!!...cheers liz

kelijpa
12-12-2012, 07:49 AM
almond milk is great, I have some steel cut oats in the cupboard, need to cook them up. I'm having oatmeal with almond milk, walnuts, wheat germ, frozen blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.

Zumbachica
12-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Eggs....eggs.....and more eggs....

LindaWW
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Does anyone besides me not eat breakfast? At this age, to lose anything, I find I have to keep my daily calories below 1200. I'm not usually that hungry in the mornings anyway, so I generally just have 2 cups of coffee. It seems like for me, once I start eating, I want to keep eating - so I try to put off the first meal of the day as long as possible. I usually have a 300 calorie lunch, and a 600 calorie dinner, with the final 300 calories in afternoon and evening snacks.

MrsTryingAgain
01-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I ALWAYS eat some sort of breakfast. ALWAYS! I find it helps me start out on track thus stay on track all day long.
It can be as simple as some granola with a little yogurt & fruit. Or old fashioned oatmeal with a slice whole grain or dark rye toast. Or a scrambled agg with that same toast. I have about oz. of low-fat milk and of course MY COFFEE!!! :coffee: No, coffee & Gail isn't awake nor pleasant the rest of the day....

Linda, I know what you mean about wanting to do anything. And also about wanting to continue the eating through the day. I just have these filling breakfast & I really don't feel hungry til lunch, if then. But I've found since I am on an eating schedule I never feel famish, deprived & the binges seem to be a thing of the past. I think a contented tummy is the key. I have a mix of all types of tastes that I love sweet, salt, etc... I think that is what knocks us off course. Not mixing it up & we miss that whatever we aren't eating. To wrap this up, see weight loss as a 3 legged stool...healthy balanced eating with exercise & support/encouragement. Lacking in one can cause your little stool to lean & fall over. OOooops!

Today was an oatmeal day. Really cold out there & I had plenty of time this AM. YUMMY!!!

suzyslimdown
01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
my morning mix : one light yogurt, 1/2 cup fiber one cereal original kind, and 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese.....I mix it all up together.

some mornings I will just have a slice of double fiber toast and a poached egg.

momtopands
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
I have always been a cereal person and I still have that but I tried a friatta(okay, it's a glorified omlette:D) and I fell in love with them. You can put any veggies in them and they're super easy to make. Last week it was a Spinach Fritatta with all kinds of veggies and cheese. Surprisingly not too high in points either!

SciFi Mom
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm starved the second my feet hit the floor. I am usually a cereal kinda gal (Special K chocolate) but the last few days I have been eating veggie sausage and eggs.

And coffee. I need something to get my lazy behind in gear! (I am not a morning person.) But to be honest I almost never finish my coffee.

Syckgirlsfv
01-14-2013, 10:01 PM
I either have high fiber cereal with soy milk and ground flax, or oatmeal with peanut butter.

When I want protein, I'll mix dry oats with egg whites and nuke them...then put a slice of cheese on top to melt ;)

coachchic71
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
I love my coffee too, Iwill have to try the oatmeal. I am lactose intolerant so soy milk for me with it or water.. I am new to all this hope I posted the right way :dizzy: For me I like .5 cup yogurt, a banana or 1/2 an apple & some granola. As the weather is starting to turn, I'm going to switch up ocassionally to hearty oatmeal. Small glass skim milk to wash it all down.

If I have coffee, it's only 1 cup. My usual was 3-4!! :-O I still love my coffee, but I know I need to cut back on the caffine. Soda was pretty easy to cut back on, but there is NO REPLACEMENT for my coffee! But it's going okay. :-)

Jennifer1966
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm also down to one cup of coffee instead of 2-3 and this week I'm eating a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit. This is only me second week of counting calories, and I'm trying to figure out what works for me. I think next week I'm doing to try healthy baked oatmeal. I'd like to have a go to breakfast and lunch that I can eat basically every day. I think I will to better if I don't have choices! How many calories should breakfast include if I'm trying to stay between 1200-1500 a day?

Syckgirlsfv
01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
this morning I had another one of my favorites...it's healthy, too! A sweet potato, baked (microwaved for 4 minutes or so) with 1/2 cup cottage cheese on it. DELICIOUS!

and of course...coffee :coffee:

azgypsy
01-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Today I'm having instant oatmeal & blueberry yogurt

Novus
01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Breakfast is my largest meal of the day and always includes both protein and carbs. If I don't eat right in the morning, I'm doomed for the rest of the day.

My brekkie plan is basically this:
Eggs and homemade sausage (seasoned ground turkey) OR Egg Bake (eggs, ham or sausage, veggies, cheese)
and
Cottage cheese and pineapple OR a protein shake (milk, protein powder, fruit or light chocolate soy milk and protein powder)
and
Steel cut oats (with just a bit of dried fruit & nuts, never sweetened) OR 1 slice Food for Life sprouted grain bread (plain or cinnamon) OR 1/2 Food for Life sprouted grain English muffin with a smidge of natural peanut butter

It's about 550-600 calories and I guess it might seem like a lot BUT dinner is grilled fish or chicken and a steamed veggie like broccoli which is about 350 calories. I need energy in the morning to get through the day, not at night for sleeping!