40-Somethings - What diet are you following?

View Full Version : What diet are you following?

InATizzy
10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm calorie counting. No restrictions on any food. I'm just trying to eat smaller portions and get in lots of walking, stretching, yoga, exercise DVDs etc.
10 years ago, I lost 20lbs by lifting light weights everyday and doing The Firm.

What are you doing?

dangerouscurvesahead
10-01-2012, 08:56 AM
calorie/macro nutrient counting, whole foods. work out at YMCA 5 days a wk, cardio, strength (alternating muscle areas) n abs plus 30minute nightly dog walk.

twinieten
10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I've been doing calorie counting with Bodybugg for over a year now. Recently, I switched to Yoli (and still using Bodybugg), a diet plan that involves drinking shakes and taking supplements. I've been exercising, primarily boot camp, with some running. Since school started, exercise has dropped as a priority, though. :( I'll get back to it, but I will focus on my running instead.

angien075
10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I am new in this journey but I am counting calories. I have not started exercising yet but plan to in the future.

bargoo
10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Calorie Counter here.

kaplods
10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I have dieter's ADD, so when I get bored by my food plan, I change it. I've used at least five or six different food plans to lose the 105 lbs I've lost so far.

Right now I'm alternating "The Simple Diet" with a Paleo exchange plan. On busy days, or days when I'm not feeling up to cooking, I use The Simple Diet (two meals of 300 calories or less, 3 shakes, and 5 or more servings of freggies).

I always have to have a portion and calorie controlled plan. I stall on any unlimited plan. I prefer exchange plans as my calorie-counting element. I find that low and reduced carb plans work best for me. I'm less hungry and lose more consistently, so I usually use a reduced-carb exchange plan (and try to make paleo friendly choices to fulfill those exchanges).

It may sound more complicated than "straight" calorie counting, but I actually find it easier (probably because I've been using exchange plans since I was 8 years old). It's a lot easier for me to remember that most veggies translate into 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked per veggie exchange (and contain about 25 calories) than it is to look up each food individually.

InATizzy
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Freggies! I like that!

olleharr
10-01-2012, 09:58 PM
DASH diet for me. This low sodium diet has done wonders for my blood pressure and cholesterol. I think I've finally found an eating plan that works for me and that I can live with. Learning how to cook without salt and how to avoid high sodium foods has been a real eyeopener for me.

Garnet2727
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
I've been on Weight Watchers Online since January and I added calorie counting a few months after that. My primary tool is WW but I find that MyFitnessPal gives me information that WW doesn't and visa versa.

Moving Forward
10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm calorie counting using the LoseIt app. I'm eating tons of fruits and veggies because they fill me up and give me bang for their calorie buck. I'm also walking on my treadmill almost every day.

austinaus
10-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Calorie Count and Lose It ap. Just like Moving Forward. =)

seagirl
10-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Calorie counting with Sparkpeople. I did it over the summer and wasn't losing, according to the RD I saw it was because i was training for trithalons. That's done, I'm still fat, so I'm back to it - lower calories and less exercise. Just walking every night for 30-45 minutes, maybe one day of running a little.

It's REALLY hard to lose weight at 40. I lost 20 pounds at age 20 (I moved in with a boyfriend and started eating like him) and it melted off with Weight Watchers and walking. This time around, it is stapled, nailed and duct-taped to me. Really really frustrating.

Honeyrose29
10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm on Atkins for the second time. I lost 30lbs the first time, then took a break, gained a few back and now I'm on it to reach my ultimate goal.

I'm on induction day 6, going to the gym 2-3 times per week and 1hr x 2 martial arts classes each week as well.

I have a ton of health issues, migraines, gluten intolerance, fibromyalgia, so low carb just seemed the most sensible choice considering everything. :)

lyv33
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Calorie counting and treadmill.

masterptr
10-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm calorie counting. No restrictions on any food. I'm just trying to eat smaller portions and get in lots of walking, stretching, yoga, exercise DVDs etc.
10 years ago, I lost 20lbs by lifting light weights everyday and doing The Firm.

What are you doing?

calorie counting
walking
jogging
I eat what I want ... just not a lot.

healthyangie
10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Did Ideal Protein phase 1 for 5 wks, 1 wk of Phase 2 and on 2nd and final week of Phase 3. 21.5 inches lost and 21 lbs.

I've done LA Weight loss in the past and liked that also.

LindaWW
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm calorie counting and using the Bodybugg as well. I walk outside or use the treadmill almost every day, and occasionally weight train. In the last year I lost 35 pounds and then took a break over the summer. I only gained back 6, but now I'm back on track and working to lose that plus the last 15, to reach my goal. When I was here last, the 40-somethings board was mostly dead - I'm glad to see so many posters here now!

Lishar
10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I am calorie counting with My fitness Pal. Watching my macros Carbs/protein/fats 40%/30%/30%. I am trying to eat at 20-30% below my TDEE and at least my BMR. So between 1800-2000 calories a day. I lift 3x a week and do cardio (walk 3 miles/hr) 3x a week. I have been increaseing my calories to decrease the amount of lean muscle mass I loose along with the fat.

InATizzy
10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to add that I use the Fitbit too. I really like to calculate my steps, stairs climbed, calories, etc.

spastic dancer
10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm just too darned rebellious and lazy to count calories or follow a strict diet. I lost a bunch of weight about 10 years ago.. I went from a size 24 down to a size 12 by walking and lowering my portions. I am in a 14 right now, and haven't regained any. But I still have about 40 lbs I need to lose.
So I am doing the same thing, watching how much I eat and making sure I get some movement in each day.

joanna B
10-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I just started this journey for the millionth time! This week,I am just eating alot of protein and trying to stay away from carbs,of course hubby brought home a carmel apple:moo i guess ill start again tomorrow!

WAHMto5
10-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Calorie counting with MFP. Exercising with walking/jogging and elliptical 4-5 times week.

newleaf123
10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't follow any plan. I endeavor to eat healthy foods prepared at home (so I know what's in them!), practice portion control, and exercise (cardio 5 - 6x per week, weights 2x per week).

I'm trying to do something that is sustainable long term, and this seems to work for me.

Fatness
10-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I only count calories and go to the gym. However, I don't eat any meat.

Bilbi
10-30-2012, 11:04 PM
olleharr, can you please tell me more about the DASH diet? I just found out I have high blood pressure and was told to follow the DASH diet but I must say I find the info online a little confusing. Thanks :-)

PerformanceHGH
02-11-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm eating gluten free and taking Limitless Thrive HGH and Charge weight loss complex. Dr. Oz endorses the HGH science for weight loss and anti-aging. If you haven't heard of it, feel free to pm me for more info or visit performanceHGH . com :)

chubbiegurl
02-11-2013, 01:51 AM
The chicken breast diet. Lol. I eat chicken Monday Tuesday wednesday well u get the point. Of course I have other stuff mainly low carb and count calories. No sweet drinks other than almond vanilla milk, it is like a treat every time. This week I have been of track, going back to my healthy eating tomorrow, just gotta put it out there so I keep accountable!
I do 45 mins cardio everyday, cheat days are 25-30 mins just started weight lifting again 3-4 times a week.

mellyymel
02-11-2013, 01:58 AM
I'm on the calorie counting diet! haha

My limit is 1,500 per day... I do Zumba on my nintendo wii for about an hour 5 days a week... Just started resistance training also.

Can anyone explain the Ideal Protein diet to me? It sounds interesting

Moondance
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm a calorie counter, using MyFitnessPal.
I'm on treadmill or nordic track at least 5 days/week.

Agreed, weight is coming off slower.

Roo2
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Ideal Protein

katerina11
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
calorie/macro counting, bodymediafitlink (new toy), strength training - compound lifts, and elliptical to create a bigger calorie deficit.

when im losing, i eat between 1900-2100 cals a day.