Diabetes Support - October Chat

View Full Version : October Chat

Ruthxxx
10-01-2012, 04:09 AM
New month and new resolve. Here's the link to the September chat. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/265492-september-chat-3.html

Ruthxxx
10-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Well, it's a new month and I didn't meet my 5 pounds off goal. I'm down just 3 but will take it. BGL is too high this morning at 5.7 - not sure why. Perhaps the sauces in the stir-fry last night?

Off to the gym this morning and then a busy day ahead. I have been up since 2:22 (read the clock wrong!) and may be able to work in a wee nap this afternoon.

Food for today is planned:
B. 2 egg omelet with veggies and an apple
L. (at quilting) 3-bean salad and some yogurt
D. pork tenderloin, sweet potato fries and roasted Brussels sprouts

I'm moving into fall/winter menus - have to watch out for carby comfort foods though - like baked beans.

fatmad
10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
fbs 5.1 today, thats getting better. Ruth, did you forget the metformin yesterday? maybe thats why yours was high?
Weight is up a pound after the wedding, will work it back down today.
SIL coming this evening for a week, and work around that all week, including having other family over or around to see her. will have to be extra careful, although planning meals may be easier with another person to cook for.
THis Monday morning is dawning bright and the fall colours are spectacular. I think they are peaking, as the leaves will start falling soon.
Have a lovely day everyone.

pattygirl63
10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Good October 1 Morning,

I'm up and have wearing clothes washed, dried and hung up and now the folding clothes are drying. Baby is playing and the therapist who used to come on Tuesday afternoon will be coming on Monday mornings. She will be here around 9:45. The other therapist comes on Tuesday morning at 8:30. This will be so nice because DH and I can take the baby to do things in the afternoons before we have to pick up youngest DGD.

Ruthie 2:22 am? I've done that before. In fact, I seem to wake up sometime between 4 and 5 am. Hope you are able to get a nap. I've got to where I take a short nap when I put the little one down for his nap since I wake up so early. However, I do go to bed around 11 pm now and sleep like a log.

Mad I love this time of year when the leaves change and are so beautiful. Enjoy being with your SIL.

I'm eating very low carb almost like induction today although not Atkins. I'm doing it to get the carbs out of my diet since I ate more carbs yesterday when we ate out. Just don't like the sluggish feelings.

Bonnie, Rie and everyone else :wave:

Have a great Monday.

Riemontana
10-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Happy October!

Wow, I can't believe how fast the year is going! Fbs at 80 this morning. I did an hour of walkitout. I bought a ZUMBA for the wii game at a garage sale. I tried it this morning but I will need to figure out how to play before I use it for exercise. I hear that it really works up a sweat.

I am frustrated that my weight is exactly the same as last week - maybe even up a smidge. :( After a good week with on plan eating and exercise.... Ugh! Well, I figure that a whoosh is due my way.

Ruth, thanks for starting the new thread. Sometimes when I wake early or don't sleep well, my bs us up. Almost like my body preparing for the day.... way to early! :dizzy:

Mad, I love the fall colors, and the whole season. It is my favorite time of year..... I need to get all the tasks done to prepare for winter now.

Trish, it wounds like your body is telling you the type of fuel it needs. When your home is back to just you and DH, maybe you can afford the luxury of the nail appointments.

Bonnie, thinking of you. Take care!

Off to meet Monday... It will be a long day as I have pool league tonight. Later!

Rie

froggydawgy
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Loves October. Already have two pumpkins out front.

This morning bs - 75 left hand, 89 right hand.... got to do some research and reading about testing.
I'm trying a new graph for my nurse practitioner. After dinner - amt of insulin administered since we are reducing it - morning bs - and see if we can find a pattern.

Tonight we try spaghetti squash so off to look up how to cook it, carbs, etc.

We are supposed to get a low of 31 here this week... (SE WA state)

Ruthxxx
10-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Woke at 4 and BGL is 5.1 although last night's dinner was low carb - pork tenderloin, roasted Brussels sprouts and I skipped the sweet potato. :shrug: Maybe it's the Dawn Syndrome. I am due for bloodwork but have been holding off until after Thanksgiving.

I am feeling very stressed and somewhat overwhelmed with life lately and am trying to resolve that. Volunteer work is taking up way too much time although it's worthwhile. Time to stop and smell the roses. Even going away on wee trips is stressful so I think I'll just stay put until after Christmas. My dear old dog Disney is quite sick with a dental problem and is going to need TLC over the next few weeks. It's time to cozy in.

pattygirl63
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Ruthie I was the opposite. I didn't get up until alarm went off which is very rare for me. I was just wiped out and could have gone to bed much earlier than I did. I am sure I am having carb withdrawals.

Well, I read more stories I found another site of people giving up wheat and grains/gluten and how it made them feel. So I've come to realize that it just isn't worth feeling this way. At this point, I'm am afraid to eat anything that is very carby. DSIL is off tomorrow and Thursday so maybe I can sleep in to get past these feelings.

Well, Tuesday therapist is here and I have some reading I want to get done while she is here. So I will make this a flyby.

Hope ALL is doing well.

Riemontana
10-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone!

Fbs at 85 this morning despite sharing my fresh salsa and pepper jelly with friends last night at pool. I did 20 minutes of my new wii zumba game this morning. It will take me a while to learn it but it might be a nice change-up from my other routines. Just 20 minutes left me panting and sweating.

I was out late with pool league and I have a child's birthday tonight. I need to drain the tanks of the rv and take it to the shop for winterizing between work and the party. No rest for the woozy! lOL

Ruth, I think that sometimes fall leaves us ready to rest and take stock before the winter sets..... Good thoughts for Disney

Trish, I hope you feel better soon. If going wheat free makes you feel better.... I am all for it

Froggy, we are getting a 31 degree temp this week too. All my hunting friends are excited. I love fall weather although I am not ready to give up my cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden. I might cover them to get another couple of weeks. I have a spaghetti squash that I will save, too. It has about 5 fruits that could use a little more time. I hope you enjoy the squash. I love the stuff.

Mad, I hope you are enjoying your SIL visit. I am enjoying the fall colors here.... it seems like they turned overnight.

Off to work...

Later! Rie

froggydawgy
10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
75 this morning. Even DH ate the spaghetti squash and liked it (but also had a slice of bread with it...)

Did some reading on different bs readings and people are ALL over the place on it. Will follow my head and think 40 was a mistake since I'm not sure I could function at that level :) Also think it is instructive that there are now strips that can do two tests at once.

Read this article this morning - basically that beta cells are NOT dead. Thank you little mousies.
Stress - including being overweight cause them to regress. Other kinds of stress I could write a book...

froggydawgy
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
article link did not post, so cut and paste here
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/02/health/under-stress-insulin-making-cells-revert-to-nascent-state.html

Ruthxxx
10-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

Well, FBGL is back in my normal range this morning and weight is even down a pound again. Whew! The body is a mysterious thing.

I am off to the gym this morning to work out some of my small aches and pains. Food should be good. (Last night's spaghetti squash casserole was not a hit.) I am going to do something with shrimp for dinner and have broccoli soup ready for lunch. I have no dinner out invitations until Sunday when I go to TD dinner so should be OK.

This week I'm focusing on keeping the calories at 1200 and cutting out wine with dinner. Wish me luck!

Riemontana
10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 80 this morning and my weight is stable. :( I am starting to wonder what it will take to move that needle down. I guess I am going to have to really kick it on the exercise.

Ruth, glad that your numbers are good this morning. Have you tried the spaghetti squash as a replacement for rice in stir fry? Lots of the recipes pair it with cheese and bake it. I am not too fond of that. It also adds a nice sweet/crunchy element on a flatbread pizza. really good. My son likes to cook with it.

Froggy, I liked the article. I always worry about the "progressive" nature of diabetes. Does it mean that I will get worse and have more trouble as I age? Mad? does diabetes always/usually get worse? I hear about folks who are struggling because their "diabetes is out of control" and I wonder if they are not eating well or is their disease getting worse....:?:

Hello to Trish and Mad.... out of time this morning..

Rie

froggydawgy
10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Well some folks just don't pay attention. My neighbor did that. Told me he ignored it for 20 years, ate whatever he wanted. Wonderful man but gone now and we all miss him.

79 this morning. Dinner was chicken, broccoli and very small sweet potato.

pattygirl63
10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
:wave:
Just checking in. DSIL was off today so I slept late till around 8ish and then dressed and went to have a pedicure. DGD just can't do all the things they do at the nail salon and my feet and legs feel soooooo good. Then I went to Walmart without DH and was able to walk around and look for gluten/wheat free foods. I bought some gluten/wheat free noodles and spaghetti. I came home mixed some of the noodles with veggies, shrimp and alfredo sauce and it was soooo good. Spent time with DH and then took short nap. I really enjoyed my day.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

fatmad
10-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi friends: slept a lot today after an all night work session, culminating in a lovely baby girl. Family has 5 lovely girls now, and I really enjoyed going for the well baby visit this evening, with all the big sisters enjoying their new baby. Each took a turn listening to her heart after I listened and help me change a poopy diaper, and bath her. Lovely evening.
Before I went to work last night, hosted a dinner party for SIL and had another SIL and BIL over. Made nice roast beef supper had a few potatoes, but didnt have any of the yorkshire puddings. Feeling bad, SIl really liked them and finished them off today, didn't mean to tempt her in such evil ways.
Mostly having good visit. No friction, but she is here a few more days, so hope it continues so well.
Had too many carbs today, with a whole wheat pasta for supper, but back to low carb tomorrow.
TTFN friends, I enjoy reading your updates.

Butterfly50
10-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Wow Oct already. Man spent most of the day at the Dr I had a GYN appointment. She told me first I am having symptoms of Menopause . Then she proceeds to tell me that I should check into having surgery on my stomach cause that is where all my weight is at and it will take over 100 pounds to even start taken off my stomach . She said they can take up to 50 pounds off me and she thinks that it will help soo much. So I need to look into it. Well I better be going I have to be heading to bed.

Ruthxxx
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Drat! Lost a long post and now am out of time. All is well although weight blipped up a bit after lunch out yesterday.

fatmad
10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi all. For some mysterious reason fbs is 5.7 today. Must be the ww ravioli yesterday. Today will be low carb, had homemade apple crisp for breakfast, (apples, splenda, nuts and chickpea flour, no wheat) and making greek salad for lunch. Its potluck day, so will eat mostly salad and only appropriate other stuff. Not sure of supper tonight, maybe make a pot of butternut squash soup. I really like most types of squash, so this is a nice time of year for me.

Bonnie, what kind of surgery are we talking? There is a thread about weight loss surgery, and gastric banding is a option, but there are a LOT of lifestyle changes that go with it, and not to be taken lightly. However, for reasons not yet understood, it seems to help with diabetes.
Perhaps, as discussed in the NY times article froggy posted, the surgery helps the beta cells "switch on" or mature again. It may also explain why some people go into "remission" of the diabetes, and after losing weight, can go off meds.
However, I think continuing to lose weight and exercising are still important, even if you decide to have the surgery. It helps you get used to the lifestyle changes, and you need to keep to a certain diet and exercise regime to avoid regaining the weight.
Lovely fall day here, hope everyone has a nice THursday.

Riemontana
10-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Hello!

fbs at 82 and I am very tired this morning. Very late night last night and I woke feeling achy. It was cold last night with our first freeze so I covered most of the plants when I came home at midnight. My weight is up 3 pounds after sushi last night. Grr

Sorry, I don't have time for personals.... Have a great day to all

Rie

Butterfly50
10-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Mad my dr said that I could loose over 100 pounds and my stomach will still be their. I am gonna check into it but I am getting back on plan. I think it is best. From what she said it is like lipo suction and then they do a tummy tuck. But I heard some scary things about getting this done I will be checking into them.

she told me that even if I got a gastric bypass done I still would have my stomach I dont believe that its not like I weigh 500 pounds I am only 274.

Oh yeah by the way TMI here the reason why she even talked to me about it cause she was checking me over and she was moving my stomach around and she could smell between the folds . Thats why she brought up the subject but she did say that it will help with lowering my sugars and other things too.

fatmad
10-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Bonnie: I went for a consult with a very good cosmetic surgeon last January or February, looking at this. He told me very specifically, do NOT do this type of surgery UNTIL you have lost the weight you want. Then get the folds taken care of it you want. It will not take away weight. He also said that doing lipo at the same time as a tummy tuck can cause problems with necrosis (killing tissue) and that he won't do the two together. He also reminded me that the internal fatty tissue around our organs, (visceral fat) is the really dangerous stuff, and neither lipo or tummy tuck will help it and the visceral fat actually pushes your belly out.
THis is why its called cosmetic surgery, its for how we look, not for our health.
While some insurers might cover gastric bypass for some people, I can't imagine anyone covering these cosmetic procedures, and the costs are very high, and of course you want a safe sanitary surgery.
FYI, I do pelvic exams all the time, and many of my clients are very obese. The have folds, and stomach "aprons" etc. WHile the fat can sometimes affect what I can feel inside, its not generally a problem. I have lots of clients over 300 pounds. I would never suggest surgery for them for THIS issue. I think diet and exercise counselling would go much further for their health.
Sorry for the rant, its a THING with me, can you tell? I get very tired of people treating weight issues in a cavalier way, as if there is an easy fix. We all know that its not easy, and supporting positive lifestyle changes doesn't judge anyone.
ok, rant done
I was up at 5 with early morning insomnia, this hasn't been an issue for a long time, so don't know where it came from.
Had a cuppa tea and a snack, now back to bed I hope.

Ruthxxx
10-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank-you, Mad. I totally agree and would be so very worried if our Bonnie went that way. I am afraid I question the competence of that doctor to make such a recommendation. Hang in there, Bonnie, and the weight will slowly disappear.

Mine is not disappearing but nibbling on popcorn the past three nights is contributing to the problem although the fiber is good for me - TMI, I'm sure. It's been a busy week and I've been eating things from my stash. I think I miss cooking my dinner from scratch and seem somehow cheated when I just zap something into the microwave! :shrug:

The last meal from the stash is meatloaf which is on tap for tonight. It has oatmeal in it so that will be my carb. My mother always served meatloaf with baked potatoes, baked acorn squash with butter and maple syrup and apple pie with icecream for dessert. No wonder I'm a pudge! I'll have it with salad and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Thanksgiving dinner will be at my son's inlaws - about 39 adults, assorted kids and an afternoon of watching football before dinner. Not my favourite way to spend a Sunday but duty calls. I can avoid overeating because the food is not all that good. I'm bringing my broccoli and cauliflower salad as my contribution to the feast. "I will survive."

Time for another coffee while Mad sips her tea and goes back to bed.

Butterfly50
10-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks Guys I know what you are saying and I totally agree. I did go to the board where you talk about the surgery and stuff and I have to say they were very nice and I agree with them too. I am not ready for something like this and I talked to my aunt and told her how I felt and what I thought and she agreed about it. I could not see my self going in after having only lost 35 pounds and having something like this done If I did it I would want it to be something that would mean so much more. Maybe after I loose over 100 pounds I could consider this but not right now.

She was telling me stuff and was saying that I would have to be in ICU for several day cause so much can go wrong and I was like I dont think so Not gonna happen. I will pass for now.

But I am gonna jump in with both feet and start dieting and exercising again 100% . I am so worth it. So I am gonna get up from here and eat my breakfast and do my Richard simmons what a great way to start off a day .

By the way dont mind me if I post everything as far as food and workout going to make myself active and putting it down so I can be 100% Not gonna hide anything.

Butterfly50
10-05-2012, 12:18 PM
So I spent 55 minutes with Richard Simmons this morning . Time went by quickly forgot how fun he was. Now eating a gala apple with 1/2 cup vanillia flavored Greek yogurt and 2 Tablespoons of Natures Own Flax and pumpkins seed Granola . So far so good....

froggydawgy
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Excitement of an alarming nature - Eldest Son was in a traffic accident - not his fault. Alarmingly this is the second vehicle he has been in that got totaled by someone not paying attention - he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Will be fine with time and physical therapy.

Been waking up in the middle of the night - starving. bs was 76 at 2am, then body kind of goes into panic mode and we spend a lot of time in the bathroom. I am dropping my insulin - trying to get it into the 80s - what dr. wants. The 60s were scary. But this is to be expected as I lose weight. The cells waking up? :)

Riemontana
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Happy Friday!

Fbs at 72 this morning. I don't like that because I need to eat before I work out. I think I need to get some small, individual juice bottles for this purpose. I don't like to have anything in my stomach when I work out but I am starting to struggle with lower bs if I don't eat something first. This morning I did walkitout for an hour and 20 minutes.

Good for you Bonnie! I am 5'3" and I started at over 250#. I will end up with a little extra skin on my stomach but it has shrunk remarkably. I only have one fold and it is just a partial one where I had a c-section. I thought I would have a lot but it goes away after a while. Sometimes I think drs are very cavalier about surgeries.... So proud of you. I am getting toward the end of my walkitout island #4. :D I am in that stage where I have to use the map to find the last of the zodiacs and songs. So much fun!

Mad, I appreciate your perspective. At my first dr appointment, he told me that I was a candidate for gastric bypass. The practice is now co-located with a medical weight loss practice. I guess it makes sense, and they are kind about weight issues. Insurance companies are sure getting into funding weight loss surgery here in the states. I guess, if it works, it works. I felt like I would have to make the lifestyle changes anyway - so what was the point? I have a friend on another thread who had the bypass surgery and it saved her life. She is no longer diabetic. But, she had lots of complications and it is not an "easy" approach.

BTW, I have promised myself that I will save for a "lifestyle lift" and rid myself of the loose and sagging neck when I reach goal.. :devil: The belly I can live with - the neck is seen everyday! Of course, it is a much simpler procedure...

Ruth, I really struggle if I don't have time to cook. Lately, I have been keeping chopped veggies in the fridge that can be used quickly. Eggs and veggies for breakfast, chicken or other protein and veggies for other meals. I have a great small saute' pan that is wonderful - it requires almost no oil and never sticks.

Froggy, how scary! I hope your ds is ok? A split second and everything changes..... Take care!

Well, off to get my camper stored for the winter. I look forward to getting it out next spring already! LOL Have a great day

Rie

Butterfly50
10-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Ok so I worked out this morning and I had My Greek yogurt and my gala apple for breakfast. I had a Wheat sub roll that I cut down to 6 inches and Had some Philly steak with 1 slice of provolone cheese and some peppers onions and mushroom Sorry No veggies Will have some tomorrow. Then for dinner I know its not the Best but Had some Chicken teriyaki with some Rice. Again sorry no veggies I will be having lots tomorrow. But I am feeling pretty good here I cant wait to get up tomorrow and have a good workout. Will be gettin back with you all tomorrow....

fatmad
10-06-2012, 04:35 AM
Bonnie: its great to hear you be so positive, and YES, you ARE worth it. SO keep on trucking. :carrot:
Ruth: I have rather enjoyed having SIL here, have been cooking real meals, and she is a good eater and appreciator of my efforts. SIL leaves Sunday, and we have had a pretty nice visit. hope you can have some fun at your sons. Are some of the kids young enough to want to do something else with you? play a game, or go for a walk etc? That is my thing, I get a little tired of football and adult conversation, and like the family gatherings to do things with the kids instead.
I have the gang to the Thanksgiving feast this am. I am up in the middle of the night, called out for an assist, and am winding down again before bed, so will try to sleep in.
RIe: that was what the doc and I decided about surgery for me, for me to lose more weight, and reward myself with a little something. Some of what he offered I was not interested in, the breast lift for instance, usually reduces sensation, and at this point, thats all they are good for, so don't want to give that up. ;) Also said the tummy tuck can cause some numbness in the lower abdomen, which doesn't sound to bad, but would there be enough loss of sensation that urge to void or other signs of problems in the abdomen wouldn't be recognized? Ah the perils.... at least this guy is also allergic to latex, so I would be safe for that part of things, his office surgery is latex free.
Rie: instead of juice, how about a drink with a bit of protein, like milk or soy milk? Would raise bs, but also give you some needed nutrition. If you are gonna have calories, make them give you something back!
Have a great weekend friends, and happy Thanksgiving to all the other Canadians who are lurking.

Ruthxxx
10-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Well, weight is going the wrong way but BGL is fine. I think I am paying too much attention to my workload and not enough to my own load. That has to change. I've been sipping too much wine in the evenings to unwind - decaf tea would do the same thing, I'm sure.

Aside from tomorrow's TD dinner with the "outlaws", I am in complete control of what I eat this weekend. Salads and other veggies have been among the missing, I'm afraid and I must change that. I did make broccoli soup this week but it doesn't appeal to me - even with Goldfish crackers although the darned Goldfish do appeal! I'm getting a little concerned about my nutrition and am reminded of my dear departed MIL who used to have "a boiled egg for lunch and the other half for dinner". She was a Brit RN and should have known better.

So - time to get really serious about what I'm eating, like it or not. I think I'm kidding myself about calories - make that I KNOW I'm kidding myself! "If I don't take care of my body, where will I live?"

pattygirl63
10-06-2012, 12:58 PM
:wave:Hello Everybody,

Eating was off yesterday, but back on track today. I've decided that I have to plan ahead or I lose it. I also believe that Counting Calories & Carbs while doing CAD will help me stay on track as well. Carbs will mostly be veggies and dairy no grains at least for now.

Have a good weekend.

masterptr
10-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Good luck Pattygirl63
you are doing good!!!

Butterfly50
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok ladies I Spent a hour with Richard this morning and I also spent a hour with the walk it out . Eating has been on plan

froggydawgy
10-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Brother and I were born in Canada of American parents - we ended up with two Thanksgiving dinners....

Eldest is getting lots of advice from lots of people re the accident. He was working at the time and the truck that hit him was county owned. He's a smart kid (BS in Economics) so he'll figure it out. Money is one thing - I just want his health to be fine.

BS was 67 this morning and I had the usual abandon ship reaction from my body. Going to reduce another med the dr suggested and see if that helps.

Butterfly50
10-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Lunch down alot better today 2 cups of brussell sprouts, Jennie-o unseasoned turkey patty with a slice of mozzarella cheese and onions on a wheat sub roll since a whole loaf of wheat bread molded and I jest bought it a few days ago. But aunt insist the bread sits by the stove :(

Riemontana
10-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Quick post. Fbs at 74 this morning. I spent most of the day at a funeral. I did well with the luncheon although I allowed myself a tiny little bit of the root beer floats - they were made in honor of our friend who passed.

Wishing a happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends. See you in the morning
Rie

fatmad
10-07-2012, 12:22 AM
the dinner was divine: just a quick fly by to say I did well today, yes I had several treats, but stayed within planned intake for a Thanksgiving dinner, and since veggies we the biggest part of the dinner, I did partake but not overdo.
Also send leftovers away for others to enjoy. Will be eating leftovers for the next few days, and having others over to enjoy the pie.
Have a great day for Sunday friends.

Ruthxxx
10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Well, it's been a yo-yo time. Saw 188 again the other morning and am 186.4 today. The only good thing is that my FBGL is holding steady in the normal range.

Sort of down about this as the new clothes I bought in March are too snug to wear now that we are back into transition weather. Size 12 just doesn't cut it when I try to sit down.

Completely cutting out wine would help. (Hey, Mad, maybe it's a Canadian thing!) I also need to force myself to eat more salads - they just do not appeal to me in this cooler weather - not that I adored them before!

**Sigh**

Butterfly50
10-07-2012, 10:15 AM
How are things going with everyone? For me here all is going well I been doing great with the food and working out too . feeling alot better I do think I am gonna have to go to the Dr though MY back is killing me I know it has to be from all the weight I carry on my Belly it hurts the most when I first lay down and when I get up or sit too long in a spot. This will be one thing I will give up.

Was in Walmart last night and a lady stopped to me comment on something I had in my buggy . It was a bag of Sliced onion and red and green bell peppers. I only pay 2.50 a bag . I usually use two a month she said she didn't know they made stuff like that and she would have to go get her some. I love to cook a slice of chicken and saute some of them in a little olive oil and place them on top of my chicken and then lay a slice of provolone cheese or mozzarella cheese . I call it smothered chicken.

well I must run I need to start the coffee....

Riemontana
10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Good Morning all!

Fbs at 71 this morning. My eating and activity are pretty much on track and my weight isn't budging! Grrrrrr. This week I am going to really try to kick start. I am trying to prevent the start of a full-blown cold as I have the scratchy throat, mildly achy feeling. Lots of fluids and vitamin C on the menu today

Mad, I am so glad that you did well and enjoyed your Thanksgiving gathering. What are the traditional foods for the holiday?

Ruth, I just sent ds to the store for salad. I plan to go back to eating a small romaine salad before supper each night. It will cut my portions automatically. My dgs loves it too.

Trish, hope you are having a good weekend.

Bonnie, you sound wonderful. I am going to set my alarm at 530am this week so I can work out longer without worrying about the time and getting ready for work.... I am proud of you. Have you tried the sandwich thins? They make a good sandwich and also make a lovely, thin and crispy piece of toast. I have been eating a lot of them. I also find that they don't mold? I eat the flax and fiber type and they are sure good. 100cals and only 22 carbs for both pieces. I haven't seen those pepper/onion bags. This morning, I cut up onion, celery, and zuchini. I keep them in ziploc bags in the fridge. Instant veggies for cooking. When I am eating well, I find that I am prepared....

Froggy, hopefully your son is doing well.

Have a great Sunday, everyone! I am off to read, relax, watch football and try to kick this cold.

Rie

froggydawgy
10-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Cut down the dose of victoza and it helped. Even with a high carb dinner I was at 89 at one a.m. but still had the all alert empty the body reaction. Also was checked out at minor care to see if I have a UT infection. nope.

Eldest is getting frustrated at being hurt. Also his work has no HR people and he's going to have to start doing all this stuff himself.

Butterfly50
10-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Rie Thats what I am eating right now I made a piece of chicken and added some lettuce for my lunch Now having to dash off and take my youngest to the dr.

fatmad
10-07-2012, 04:03 PM
hey everyone:
our traditions have changed with new family members, my son-in-law's dad is Japanese, so we have sushi as an appetizer for the family gatherings, at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, and any other occasions we can think of. It was hoovered up pretty quickly yesterday when they arrived at 3 pm. Then I made a soup, Jamaican butternut squash soup, a little spicy, that went over very well. Had beans, beets, acorn squash, rosemary potatoes and carrots, turkey with stuffing, and some cheese biscuits my Dad's ladyfriend brought, and the reheated yorkshire puddings. These yorkshire puddings are the only thing not homemade, but they are better than anything I make, so I go with it.
For dessert, I made all the backing sugar free, apple pie and low carb apple crisp, and pumpkin pie. I don't eat the crust, so the pumpkin is also low carb.
Well, no I am hungry, time for food. !

Butterfly50
10-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Daughter is back from Dr she has a bad sinus infection and the aunt is sick with bronchitis and the coughing is so bad she is peeing her pants. I went and bought her some of them poise pads to see if they would help with her problems.

Dinner went over well I made spaghetti and instead of me having noodles I made some roasted Zuchnni and jest put the sauce over it . Boy was it Wonderful . Tomorrow is roasted whole chickens and some red potatoes and carrots I don't think I will do but a few potatoes or may be none.I will have to see how I feel. Well Better run and check on the daughter. Oh by the way hubby went to Dr too found out the pain in his elbow he has tennis elbow they shot is elbow up with something and says if it don't help he has to have a cast on for 6 weeks. OK well going now for sure....

pattygirl63
10-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Bonnie Hope every one gets better soon in your home. Good for you planning ahead and back on track.

Mad and Ruthing and any other Canadians here HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Today was a good OP day. Catch y'all tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Good morning. Weight is still the same even after Thanksgiving Dinner. This just HAS to be the week it budges!

Picked the rest of the peppers from my garden yesterday as frost was expected. Today I am going to do packets of peppers and sliced onions and try Bonnie's "smothered chicken". That idea really piqued my interest and may get me enthused about cooking.

Today I am spending chained to the desk and computer to get two major accounting tasks DONE! I sometimes think I spend more time fretting about jobs than it would take to just do it!

fatmad
10-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Ruth: I am the same about some paperwork tasks, they are not so bad, but I dread them, and put them off terribly.
fbs 5.8 this am, I don't know why they are so high. I see doc tomorrow, more about other meds than the diabetes, but will ask about it. And check the a1c as well.
Its a busy day for work, even though its a holiday, and half the staff is off for a long weekend, so I must get going. Happy Thanksgiving to all, wherever you are, its always good to be thankful.

pattygirl63
10-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Sorry this didn't come out as planned so will do it again...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS

My weight has been back up so doing "my way" of eating to get the weight back down as quickly as possible. My goal is to get my weight back down to line up with ticker and then try to lose as much as possible by the end of the year. Started back yesterday and dropped almost 3 lbs. So getting through these next few days to get into the habit. Got my calories low but I need to get serious about all this. DH son and his family are thinking about coming to visit for 4 days next week. He was surprised to find that his sister and her family were still living here. Not sure they will come. Sure hope they decide to wait until next spring. They have to get a motel for him and wife and the kids stay here, but if they wait hopefully DD and family will be moved and they can come stay here. However, we will do whatever we have to do.

DGS Monday therapist will be here soon so guess I'll cut this short. Y'all have a good Monday.

Riemontana
10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Good Morning!

Fbs at a nice 84 this morning. That is a comfortable number for me to work out without food. I did over an hour of walkitout and ate a nice breakfast of fiber one, ground flax and unsweetened almond milk. Today I am going to start totally re-arranging my room. It is so messy and awful! Today is a state holiday so it is a good use of part of the day. I made a deal with myself that I will spend 3 hours and see how far I get!

Bonnie, it sounds like you are doing great! Try to avoid all the germs in your house.

Mad, the Thanksgiving menu sounds wonderful. I have developed a real taste for sushi these days. We have an asian fusion place that uses very little rice. It is wonderful.

Ruth, having those little bags of prepared veggies really helps me to stay on track. I can cook ANYTHING with them: add a protein, saute' and it's a meal! Yum

Trish, wow, that is fast progress. I wish I could get the scale to budge.

Off to get something done.... Have a great day.

Rie

Butterfly50
10-08-2012, 10:47 PM
4 days down and doing good spent 40 minutes with Richard this morning and the food has been going great for me these last few days .. Hey must of accomplished something cause His aunt had a bag of mounds and she didnt even offer me one this time.
Feeling pretty good. Can't wait till morning I see another workout cumming. The hubby and cousin is pressuring me to have the lypo suction and tummy tuck done. I jest dont feel right having it done especially right now. See you all tomorrow!!!!!

Ruthxxx
10-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Drat! Long post and I lost it! I was off killing spammers.

Anyhow I survived Thanksgiving weekend and actually down to184.4, let's hope the trend continues. FBGL is good - no wild highs or lows.

Back later to read and comment - need to get my darling Disney ready to go to the vet for dental surgery this morning. I need to sneak in some breakfast too - can't bear to eat in front of her when she's fasting.

pattygirl63
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
This is Day 3 OP. Going pretty well. I actually have the 3 lb loss as of today.

Ruthie Many times I have typed a long post and lost it and just given up. CONGRATULATIONS on the scale moving down for you.:carrot: Hope all goes well with your pets surgery.

Rie I'm keeping my calories around 1000 to 1200 a day. I know many say not to go below 1200, but they don't have to deal with my body. I got the idea from a lady who told my Daddy that she cut her calories to 500 a day (her doctor knows what she is doing) and within 3 days her bs was normal. I knew I would never be able to do only 500, but decided that I can do between 1000 to 1200 cals by using the Atkins shakes to replace 2 meals and a snack.

Mad, Bonnie and others:wave: Hi

Baby's therapy will be done in a few moments so will go for now. Hope everyone has a good day.

Riemontana
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi All!

Fbs at 84 this morning. I woke with a rebounding cold and achy so I didn't work out. I need to go to work today even though I am under the weather. :( On a positive note.... the scale was actually down just over a pound today. Dare I hope??

Bonnie, you sound great. I am so proud of you. Tell the family that you will have the surgery to deal with your loose skin after you lose the weight. Keep on Keeping on.

Ruth, isn't it frustrating to lose a post! Every time I swear that I will only compose in word, then I get lax again.

Mad, I hope you are having a good week and not working too hard.

Off to work...

Rie

Butterfly50
10-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Good morning everyone well crappy here I woke up this morning and My throat is killing me and I looked to see how red my throat is and it is got what spots on it so I will be heading to the dr here soon

Rie my point exactly. I peaked at the scale I can see it movig will officially let you know how much on friday.

Butterfly50
10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
No strep I am in the early stages of bronchitis. So they have me on meds for that . Then I talked to him about my back pain and I told him I have had naproxen for it before but after a few douse I can't go to the bathroom it makes me so constipation. He also talked to me about having a stomach stapling done. I am like OMG . he said that I had to think about weather I wanted to be this heavy or not. This surgery scares the **** out of me I am jest not ready for it.
He did give me something for my stomach where the skin folds for when I am having problems with it having rashes and smelling .Well Better be going got a pot of chili on the stove ....

fatmad
10-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi all, am really still quite tired, had marathon work on the weekend. Wanted to go out to the music go-round tonight, but too tired to drive or enjoy the singing and playing. SO stayed home and rested a bit and early to bed soon.
Happy to read about all, but Bonnie's post got me wondering.
BOnnie? how much weight have you lost and where are you now? By the ticker you have lost about 50 pounds, but your bio says about 25. I am thinking that someone who has lost 50 pounds in the last year isn't the person who needs to go to gastric bypass. Even if you have regained some, getting back to diet and lifestyle which was successful before would be the first thing to urge.
I am not against gb. There is good research for its success for some, and has cured diabetes for some people who have had it, for reasons not yet explained. But it does seem odd that everywhere you go Bonnie, people are suggesting surgery, instead of celebrating the weight loss and increased fitness that you have accomplished. I for one am really proud of what you have managed and think that you should keep going with what you have done. If you feel surgery would improve things further thats fine, but don't be discouraged by this. We are all behind you. and get well soon
Rie: hope you are feeling better this evening, too.
Hello to all, back tomorrow I hope.

Ruthxxx
10-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Bless me, Sisters, for I have sinned. I succumbed to a wee loaf of butterscotch pecan bread that was leftover from the weekend bake sale and my BGL was 6.7 this morning. Weight is just up a bit to 184.6 though. :shrug:

Today MUST be a better day.

Stand your ground, Bonnie. I don't know why you are being pushed to have surgery - it is NOT an easy way! I hope it's OK with you if I modify your profile so it shows 301.5/ticker/160. If you don't like it, just holler and I'll put it back.

Need to skip the gym in favour of a major floor cleanup. Disney had surgery to have seven teeth removed yesterday and the special supper I made her sort of raced through her overnight. I'll spare you the details but my exercise this morning will be floor cleaning, not an easy task when you cannot kneel down.

Now that I've finished my coffee, I'll just get to it!

Butterfly50
10-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Sorry guys I forgot about that I will change the stats. Mad I currently weigh 268.5 pounds. I think When I last did the ticker I was almost to 255 I will change it. I dont know why they all seem to think that the quick fix will be best but I dont If I cant do the eating and prove to myself that I can do it then if I have surgery then I will jest eat and gain it all back.

Well I must run Gotta take both DD to their therapy appointment. Will change it when I get back;)

fatmad
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
just a quickie this am, fbs 4.9 this am. Saw dr yesterday, will update about that tonight or tmw

Riemontana
10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Hello Friends

Well, bs is 86 this morning. My cold is really settling in:(. My brain was telling me this morning that I must work out but my body was saying that I only have al little energy today so I didn't. Mad? What is the wisdom on exercising when sick? I have a long day with pool league tonight so I won't finish until about midnight.

My weight dropped just over another pound today... Yay. I love whooshes. My body seems to let go in fits and starts that don't make much sense but I will take it. :carrot:

Mad, what is a "music go round?"

Ruth, I can't imagine being around so many baked goods! I am surprised that you don't "sin" more often.

Bonnie, hang in there. I used to get the weight loss surgery push all the time. It is NOT easy and you still have to make the lifestyle changes that you are doing now. :hug: You have already proven that you can do it!

Froggy, how are you?

Rie

pattygirl63
10-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Ruthie I can understand about getting down on the knees to clean. Hope Disney recovers quickly.

Rie Hope you will feel better soon.

Mad Hope you are able to get some rest.

Bonnie I agree that bp isn't an easy way to lose weight. I've known people who had it and some kept the weight off because they followed the weight loss plan while others didn't stay with the plan and gained their weight back or never lost it to start with. I know 5 people who did it, 2 kept it off and 3 didn't. So I think learning to do it with diet should come first.

Well, I guess I can't drink so many Atkins shakes. I was sick all night... nauseous. However, I did some research yesterday on paleo/primal eating and I am moving into very low carb woe today. Still have a little upset stomach, but I am going to do this any way. I had a very good 2 egg veggie/bacon omlet this morning. However, I think I could have had just 1 egg. I plan to have beef and veggies for one meal and I have acquired a taste for shrimp and mixed veggies with Alfredo sauce. So that will be my meals today.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Butterfly50
10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
I changed my ticker I have lost 33 pounds since I was diagnosed with being a diabetic. Although Right before I was diagnosed my weight was 307.5 and I went down to 301.5 when I was diagnosed . So I think I am gonna put that at my starting weight.

Well the girls Therapy today was stress full I am gonna watch Y&R and then spend some time with Richard I might even go for a walk it is sooooo Coool right now I would like to enjoy it for the moment.

I will get back to you all later. I hope all is doing well.

froggydawgy
10-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Here :)

With the weight going down (not willing to post it yet but will work up the courage eventually...) - I've been reducing the insulin at night (only time I take it) and the victoza. And feeling awful. I noticed 24 hours, when the next dose was due I was feeling better. So last night - no victoza and today about feeling normal.

Will call for followup appt. with dr to keep her up to date. Have reduced insulin 15 units and was at 74 this morning.

I think I've been afraid of this for a long time. I knew this might happen. Falling bs and feeling awful. Strange I know. Trying to battle the anxiety of this and take charge and be proactive.

Hope everyone is feeling strong and healthy.

Butterfly50
10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
ok so they went and got krispy kreme doughnuts and I had to have a few. I couldn't denie myself that I will be making up for that tomorrow . I wont let myself be dragged down. I am entitled to make some mistakes. But I will bounce back....

Ruthxxx
10-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Another day of sinning - I'm with you Bonnie. I "forgot" my Victoza again yesterday and ended up eating four apple pastries late in the day. I actually bought them when I went to the store for milk late afternoon. This proves that the V. is still working to curb my binge inclinations. It had also been a bad day with having to wash the floors three times.

Today will be better. I'm up a pound and it's time to stop messing around. I've taken my meds and am planning to go to town for dog food very shortly so I can be there and back before the Chinese buffet is open.

At 73, you'd think I'd have developed some self-control!

Raising my coffee mug to an in control day for us all.

(I do like "don't" instead of "can't". Now to remember it!)

Riemontana
10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi All,

Fbs at 86 this morning after a sleepless night. This cold is awful. I am going to stop messing around and stay home today. My plan is to take cold medicine and try to sleep the day away.

Sorry, just no energy. Have a good day.

Rie

pattygirl63
10-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Ruthie - Those pesky temptations do get to us sometimes. I feel the same way you do. I thought I would have this all under control by this age. I still believe we can do this. We've had it under control before so that means we can do it again.

Rie - I hope you are feeling better soon.:hug:

Bonnie - Still envy you being able to exercise with Richard. Krispy Kreme isn’t my weakness. Now if you bring in nacho cheese and I’m a lossed. As someone said to me once “Life happens” now you just move on OP.

Well, I am 3 lbs from being with the ticker again. We are going to Charlotte and I have my plan as to what I’m going to eat if we go to the bbq place. Not sure if we go somewhere else. I am eating more low carb since I’ve give up wheat. I thought this morning while dressing about all the times I could eat crackers with a salad and show a weight gain the next day and how I always wondered why. If I have an allergy to wheat, then I have my answer.

Have a great day Everybody.

froggydawgy
10-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Chocolate... always amazed that anyone (Daughter) can eat half a
chocolate bar and then leave the other half for days...

I have worked my tastebuds up to 85% dark chocolate. I actually like it
and find anything less to be bland. Also find one square is satisfying - most of
the time :)

bs 76 this morning.

Butterfly50
10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Trish that's what I am thinking too Life happens it wont be the first or the last. So I spent my morning with Richard and now I am ready to run the errands for the day . Hey on the bright side my pants aren't tight right now they are pretty comfty. I noticed when working out I feel a little defined in my shoulders hope that's a good thing. Will be back later to see how all is doing..

Rie this time of year I swear a million things are going around.

BTW October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I go for my mammogram tomorrow( My very First).

Ruthxxx
10-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Good for you, Bonnie. Get the boob squish done with. You are wise to start now. I have many friends who left it too late - some of them are gone now. :(

Rie, I hope your "me" day knocked out the worst of that cold. Strangely, I have not had a cold for a couple of years despite visiting so many hospitals and nursing homes where germs abound.

Froggy, I love the doggy picture. Does he/she dress like that often or just for photo-ops?

Patty, congrats on being so close to ticker weight. I hope you enjoyed Charlotte. I've never been there except to the airport. It was my first visit to the South and I was most impressed by the rocking chairs and by the friendly people. I've yet to have BBQ.

Fatmad, we are waiting for the update on the doctor visit.

Not a good day yesterday foodwise again. Today I focus on getting a grip - a hard grip! Some things are just evil - like the popcorn I bought to make Halloween treats. Today is trash day so out goes the remains of the big bag.

Raising my coffee mug to a controlled weekend for us all. :cofdate:

fatmad
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
HI all: well I go MIA for a day or two and so many posts. If I miss a few, sorry about that!
Rie: I think when you are sick, you have to listen to your body and just take it easy if that feels right. SO don't overdo, even leave the pool session early if possible, rest will do more good usually. I encourage my admin and other midwives to stay home and rest when sick. They come back a day or two later, at full strength and don't spread it around. We don't have a lot of "office" illness that goes through all of us. We are around newborns a lot, and spreading viruses could be disastrous.
Ruth: I too sinned and had a piece of pie yesterday, as well as eating off plan generally. Hope disney is better soon. And why should you do better at 73 than any of us? Can't older women be as silly as everyone else?
Bonnie: its quite unfair of people to bring all sorts of treats home, and we can't resist. I prefer to plan my treats myself to make sure they are worth the calories and /or carbs I am taking, donuts wouldn't count for me, but pie would. Depends on your point of view.
Trish: The atkins bars and shakes are pretty sweet and don't get us off the sweets bandwagon, Jersey girl (on the atkins thread) reminds us they are for emergencies when you can't get appropriate food to stay low carb. That said, I will have a shake or bar for breakfast about 1-2 times a week which is a nice break. Also a reminder, to make sure you get enough fat, I find the carb cravings really take off if I don't eat enough fat.
Hey froggy, I too love the dark chocolate. That's a planned treat from time to time.

So: about me, had a very fragile day yesterday, and went straight for the carbs. I haven't had digestive issues with the metformin for a while, but with all the wheat in my system, all the metformin problems are back, enough said. WIll avoid wheat today for sure. fbs 4.7, but weight up a pound.
So the doctor and I are going to change one of my meds, not related to diabetes. I got quite depressed when oldest DD left home and went on zoloft. I have never gone off it. Every time I try, I find the menopausal mood swings just go wild, and I can't manage my temper, can't sleep, can't cope. Have been on the lowest dose possible for a couple of years, but gave up with going off of it. However, I am still having trouble sleeping, (gets worse without the zoloft) and lots of hotflashes, as goes with menopause. I don't want to take hormone replacement therapy. So we are switching me to effexor. Reputed to help with these menopause symptons. I will have to watch the weight issues, as the switch can make me gain or lose, both side effects are common enough that I will have to take care. I have a few more days before I start it, have to let the zoloft go out of my system.
It may seem weird, as I am not depressed or having problems, until I go off it. :dizzy:
Have a good friday friends. I am going to yoga for the first time in a while,:carrot: and have a plan to meet a friend for lunch at a place that has atkins appropriate food. Plan tonight to spend some fun time with a family with kids where I can play games with the boys and get some quality kid time. :D Hubby away to close up the cottage, but he is leaving the internet hub and the dog behind. So I will be fine.
Have a good day all.

pattygirl63
10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Good Morning Everyone,:wave:

Ruthie - Yes I did enjoy Charlotte although we usually go to go to Costco. DD goes to nursing school there and SIL works out of Charlotte. I will have to say that Charlotte, actually most of the Carolinas, are friendly people.

Bonnie - You are really doing good. You will have a bad day, snack or meal, but the key is to not let it become a down fall. I've done that. We have to not let it become one of those things that turns int "days" or "weeks" where we give up. We really can't be in "control" of everything around us so we must learn to do the best we can sometimes. If we slip, just consider it one of those "life happens" moments and move on OP. Wish I had learned that when I was a young woman.

Well, I had my plan for my meal at the bbq place and decided to try the corn. I've never had problem with it before and I'm really trying to learn what grains my body tolerates and which ones I don't. I had the pulled pork, cole slaw and corn. The lady forgot to ask me if I wanted the garlic bread or cornbread. I had planned to get the cornbread but she brought the garlic bread which is usually a real temptation for me. YEY!!!:carrot: A REAL VICTORY!!! I sent it back and ate no bread at all. I was soooo proud of myself. Will I do that next time, I don't know but I hope so. The thing is I did it this time.:carrot: And the scale didn't move either.

Rie - Hope you are feeling much better today.

Mad - Hope all is going good for you.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Ruthxxx
10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Madeline, sending you a great big HUG!

Be well. We need you here.

Patty, Bravo for resisting the garlic bread. :carrot: :CB: I'd have caved.

pattygirl63
10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Mad - Good to hear from you and I second what Ruthie said. You are really missed when you aren't here. So check in as often as you can and I pray you have an easier transition from the zoloft to the effexor than you expect.:hug:

Butterfly50
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Hey ladies so I changed my ticker the other day when I got back on track I weighed 274.5 and now I weigh 268.5 so I have lost 6 pounds this week.:carrot: Went to wally world last night and found a new Richard Simmons DVD talked the hubby into buying it for me and I watched some of it last night and was all excited to do it so me and Richard will be having our standing appointment this morning very shortly . He makes me feel good and his workouts aren't boring and I like the fact he has people like me on his dvd's .

Well I better get busy have to get my workout in and get a shower and then get ready for the boob squishing . Check back later:hug:

Riemontana
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello all.

Fbs at 85 this morning despite a lot of cold medicine and too many carbs last night. I feel a little better but still have a cold. I want to work out this morning but I am not going to do that. I need to take the hint from the coughing fits I am still having:dizzy:

Froggy, do you feel shaky or bad physically from bs in the 70's? Interesting... I had some of those same experiences at first but I sure adjusted over time. It began to feel normal. Please correct me if I am confused about what you are saying....

Mad :hug: effexor is a good med. I personally like the Zoloft because I think it does a better job of holding back the "OCD-like" thinking that often comes with menopausal anxiety. Paxil is also a good med for long-term use. I hope you feel better soon. It also might be that the zoloft is the best med but you might need some help with sleep with a sleep aid.... Take care.

Trish, you are doing so good! I am proud of you for resisting the garlic bread.

Ruth, I had heard that victoza really helps with cravings. I guess it must help you. Hang in there. BTW, I don't think that this is easy at any age. ;)

Bonnie, you are amazing! I smile at the idea of the sessions between you and Richard. I like him too. He is just a happy guy and I have always loved that he has people like us on his videos.

Well, resting more today and I have a tournament tonight. See you tomorrow

Rie

Butterfly50
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I did 1 hr and 45 minutes with Richard today Now feeling pretty good gonna get ready for this mammogram this afternoon . Feeling pretty good gonna cook me a slice of chicken for lunch and some veggies be back later

froggydawgy
10-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Tis the season - also have first 'boob-squishing' scheduled for the 17th!!

Doggy picture is one from the interwebz We do have two black labbies, but a costume would not be tolerated!

You can see their picture here
http://musingsontheporch.blogspot.com/2012/07/carpet-for-black-labs.html

fatmad
10-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Tis the season - also have first 'boob-squishing' scheduled for the 17th!!

Doggy picture is one from the interwebz We do have two black labbies, but a costume would not be tolerated!

You can see their picture here
http://musingsontheporch.blogspot.com/2012/07/carpet-for-black-labs.html

I had my first and only mammogram 4 or so years ago after finding a small lump that turned out to be a cyst, in a breast. I was truly not bad at all. I was able to get a cancellation appointment the next day, and had an ultrasound right away to confirm the findings, so I was reassured right away. Hope you are just having a routine one, and don't have a lump. The tech took her time and squished slowly and gently, and it was not painful, just uncomfortable, like a properly done pap test. ( it seems a fitting comparison)

well DH is away tonight, so haven't been able to sleep, but will head to bed soon.
have a good night.

fatmad
10-13-2012, 11:06 AM
started the effexor yesterday, will be trying it in the morning for the weekend. I wanted to start on the weekend because it can make you either jittery or sleepy, and better to know before Monday which is best.
FYI, I haven't had problems with depression for a long while, but the mood swings are bad. I was off the zoloft during the time youngest DD and I had the worst problems getting along, and my temper was a major problem. Doc says that like the metformin, just get used to it, and stop trying to go off. I had no hot flashes last night, BUT, DH was away and I got to have the window open. Very heavy ground frost last night, so weaning off the allergy meds now. Sometimes I feel like a walking pharmacy, but nothing compared to the elders.

FYI, when my SIL was visiting, she is also pre-diabetic or controlled type 2, and her son is a pharmacist. He feels we should ALL be on bp meds and anti-cholesterol meds for protective effects and to prevent problems later. I am gonna ask him for research evidence for this approach. Have other peoples docs done this? Those who do not currently have high bp or cholesterol?
Didn't want to open that can of worms with my doc without more evidence. She does listen when I bring the research, like she did with starting me on the metformin.
I am off to walk the dog, and then a little reunion of my university program.
Have a great day friends.

Riemontana
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Hey everyone!

I had a pool tourney last night so I didn't get to bed until almost 2am. Then a work crisis kept me on the phone until almost 3. I rose early to attend a high school football game. I dug up my 14'x14' garden spot with a shovel and used my hand tiller to work in the fertilizer, manure and conditioner to prepare it for next year. I guess that counts as a workout because I am tired and achy.

My youngest ds, dil and gs will be arriving late tonight. They are moving just down the road from me and I am so excited. It will be great to have them close. They also share my interest in growing/preserving our own food.

Mad, I am on lisinopril for bp, even though my bp is running low normal. My dr wants to keep me on it (if I can tolerate it) even though my bp is good because he says it protects my kidneys from the diabetes. We have considered adding a statin but my cholesteral numbers are so low that he doesn't want to do that. However, he is watching that very closely. My understanding is that is common practice here for type II. Incidentally, my metformin and lisinopril are free because I have the type II diagnosis. I can get a cholesteral med for free as well. My insurance plan considers them to be preventive medications Interesting, huh?

Bonnie, you are doing great! I have so much activity this weekend that I am missing my long weekend workouts. But, I am rising early all this week to give me the time. I hate having to stop before I want to because I have to get ready for work. :carrot:

Froggy, I don't find the boob squishing thing to be a problem. I made arrangements for a mobile mammography unit to come to my work in December. All my employees will get it done that way. It makes me feel good.

Ruth, I am curious about your job as a moderator. How did you become one? What kind of responsibilities do you have? Just wondering.

Trish, how goes the low carb battle? Aren't you having a visit with kids this weekend?

Well, I am off to finish my day. My knee is really hurting - I had to give in and take a pain pill. :( I need a knee replacement but I sure would like to wait another year. I might have to give in and get a cortisone shot. BTW Mad, those shots always give me such high bs for a couple of days (around 200). Is there anything that I can do about that?

Have a great day.

Rie

fatmad
10-13-2012, 10:16 PM
rie: I don't think there is much you can do about high bs due to cortisone injections, short of asking your doc for insulin or glyburide or something in response. Tricky, as monitoring would be hard since you don't use that regularly. But definitely worth the conversation with the doc. I assume the reason they don't worry about it is that the effect is temporary. So many docs just look at the a1c now. Careful control of sugars is what we want to do, but I suspect that many people depend on the drugs and not diet and exercise to control the bs that docs are not used to us obsessing about our sugars.

fatmad
10-14-2012, 07:52 AM
woke up at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep, DH also up, so am doing the laundry. FBS is 5.0 today. Yesterday, the effexor seemed to already be affecting appetite by supper time. I was out for supper after this university program reunion, and left half my supper on the plate. I also had dessert, ate 3 bites and left the rest. Never happened before, although the beer may have filled me up a bit. Will see if this continues. I got to sleep last night easily, but woke up so early, at 4 am. Hope that is just a one-off and wont conitinue. I walked the dog yesterday, and had an hour of hot yoga on Friday. Goal for this week is to exercise daily.
Have a good day everyone.

pattygirl63
10-14-2012, 01:10 PM
A quick flyby today. Getting ready to add 2 more people to an already full house. DH son and grandson from IN will be here in a few hours for a 4 day
visit. He was surprised to learn that his sister and family were still living here. It should really be interesting.

I am staying on my way of eating regardless. I'm making tacos for their meal today and I will have tacoless taco salad. I am almost back down to ticker this morning... missed it by 1 lb so I don't intend to mess up what I've started. I hope to be able to move ticker number down next week. I plan to start back to the doctor in January (decided to wait since I'll have to pay deductible in January) and hope to have numbers normal and weight down considerably by then. So I'm focused on my goal and don't plan to let anything stop me.

DD plans to make spaghetti for tomorrow night and I have a spaghetti squash that I'll nuke for my part and of course I won't eat any bread. I plan to go out with them to eat at a new fish place (new to us) where DS likes to eat. I don't plan to go with them for Cuban food because of the breading. I figure that can be a Dad/son/grandson day and the baby and I will stay home.

Catch y'all when I can.

froggydawgy
10-14-2012, 01:45 PM
74 bs is okay for me. But Dr wants me to stay over 80.
I think the problem is that it interferes with my sleep at times.
Wake up at 2am and am starving.
Cut out victoza and insulin down to 75 and I think that helps a lot letting
me sleep until morning.

fatmad
10-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Trish: I am really proud of you for planning out those meals, so that you can stay on plan and keep going on your weight loss plan. Good for you. Hope the lid stays on for any problems between siblings.
Froggy glad you are getting to cut back on meds as you lose weight and get your bs under control. How lovely.
Planning on roast veggies and ham for supper.
This afternoon was good. We went out for brunch and I left some homefries on the plate. Went for tea with DD and DH and DH had carrot cake, I had a bite and no more. Now, I haven't been hungry at all, but am able to stop when not hungry. THis is very nice, a side effect of the drug no doubt, but will help me a lot. Makes me feel like I can plan for further weight loss.
Cool and wet here. Hope everyone has a good Sunday

Ruthxxx
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Cool and wet here too Mad and I have a wee ham in the oven right now! We should have got together! :lol: Maybe someday we will - I mosey down to the Ontario banana belt every so often.

Been pretty stressed lately but am working hard to overcome it. I think that may be why I'm getting off track with food. How can I "forget" to take my Victoza? Seems quite coincidental that it happens when I have baking goodies in the house.

I'm sipping a glass of red wine right now and thinking hard about how to stay on track this coming week. (Throwing out the popped popcorn bag will be a start!)

See y'all in the morning.

pattygirl63
10-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Well, I made it through today's eating. Hubby's DS fixed my laptop. I was having problems typing because a message kept popping up that I was not on the enternet. I was on it but it wasn't showing. Sure is nice to be able to type a post with no problems.

Ruthie - Sorry about the stress problems. Hope things get better for you soon. You and Mad are making me hungry for ham. We seem to only have it for Christmas.

Froggy, Bonnie, Rie and others :wave:

fatmad
10-15-2012, 08:47 AM
quickie this am:
fbs 5.2 and weight up to 174, I think I may be retaining some fluid, perhaps the med or other things. Planning some yoga this evening, had a walk with the dog yesterday. have a good monday friends

Riemontana
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Hello Friends.

Fbs at 84 this morning. My weight is way up.:?: Maybe because I am so very sore from helping my kids move yesterday. There are 5 steps into their house and I carried countless boxes and items in the house. My two ds, dil and myself unloaded the 24ft uhaul by ourselves.

Ruth, sorry that you are stressed out. Hoping it gets better soon. Take care of you. That is the first rule.

Mad, the scale is so frustrating. We just need to ride it out. :hug:

Trish, nice that your ds could help with your computer. Enjoy the visit.

Froggy, I hope that those issues resolve soon. I am interested with your experience with nighttime hunger. I don't notice that my bs readings are related to hunger.... interesting.

Well, off to work. Happy Monday

Rie

pattygirl63
10-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I was hoping that my scale would match my ticker today, but not yet. However, I am sooooo close. Hopefully it will happen tomorrow.

Didn't sleep good last night. Caffiene doesn't usually bother me, but guess I shouldn't have had that last cup of coffee with DD. Finally took a Melatonin and slept some but not good. It just made me feel dragged out today. Today is a rainy day. All the kids are here and today is DD cook day so I don't have to do much of anything. And I probably won't do any more than I have to.

Y'all have a good day.

froggydawgy
10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
bs 75 this morning... but my usual sleeping, which is not great but if I can not have to get up and read in the middle of the night I call that a success.

Windy, rainy, fall is here in the PNW.

Ruthxxx
10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, weight is 187 something and BGL was a semi-decent 4.9. Donna and I bugged each other yesterday and finally got it into gear to do the gym thing this morning. It actually felt pretty good.

There are no more frozen goodies in my house - just the freshly baked ones which I am taking to the Mill Board Meeting this afternoon. It's at Anna's house and I will not bring anything home. She has lots of drop-in callers so will appreciate having them on hand.

Yes, I took my Victoza this morning and hope it kills my appetite. I was able to bake squares and cookies this morning with no slips.

pattygirl63
10-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I got this from another low carb site and since we all have problems with sleeping at times thought I would copy and share here. Someone on that site was having trouble sleeping and thought it might be the cheese she/he ate because of an old wives tale they had heard.

It could be the cheese per se, or it could be an excess of calcium. Many people find when they start supplementing with magnesium that they sleep better. Calcium and magnesium work in conjunction and also antagonistically so the proper ratio is important.

I've been reading about insomnia and low carb diets and have seen various discussions and suggestions, such as:

•Don't eat protein at least 2-3 hours before bed.
•Eat majority of the day's carbs in the evening.
•Take magnesium. Some people find magnesium stimulating and some not, so some experimentation may be in order as to what time of day to take it.
•Take magnesium and manganese, or eat foods that contain them such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chocolate.
•In some cases, when below moderate (approx 50 grams) low carbing, take potassium, and sodium too. See this board re salt: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=445775
•Coconut oil before bed. (Something about how it works in the liver).

Apple cider vinegar before bed. ?

Both of these articles are interesting:

The Biochemistry of Insomnia http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/2011...ry-of-insomnia/

Thirteen tips for a great nights sleephttp://www.nutritional-healing.com....0nights%20sleep

The above 13 tips article says:

Avoid tyramine containing foods (bananas, avocado, cheese, sour cream, pizza, fermented dairy products, beer, wine, MSG, fermented soy products, pickled salamis, liver, caviar, beans) after 5 PM as tyramine alters brain neurotransmitter levels inhibiting sleep.

Ruthxxx
10-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Lots of info there, Miss Patty. I'll keep that in mind. At the moment my sleep pattern seems to be becoming more normal. Have not had one of those white night's of tossing, turning and thinking for a week.

FBGL is stable these mornings and so is the weight! :( I'm halfway through the month when I pledged to drop 5 pounds but methinks it's not going to happen unless I cut off a limb. Two weeks have passed with no loss so ...

We'll just keep on keepin' on! :shrug:

fatmad
10-16-2012, 08:59 AM
good morning. Ruth, sometimes we have to stop worrying about weight and concentrate on the fact that we are eating properly and exercising and NOT gaining. Often, thats the victory.
For my part, I am still the same on the scale, which amazes me! I expect an eventual woosh, but maybe not?
Anyhow, I certainly get full and stop eating much earlier than normal. So serving sizes are shrinking, and that is just fine. No danger to me, other than eating fewer calories. I still get hungry and have an appetite for good food, I just stop eating sooner. Nice side effect, hope it lasts.
I got to yoga last night. Today will just be walking I think. Have a lovely day everyone.

pattygirl63
10-16-2012, 09:11 AM
:carrot::broc:Ticker is correct as of this morning.:broc::carrot:FINALLY!!!
Caught my old pattern of wanting to change way of eating this morning, but I didn't. I really thought my starchy carb meal yesterday would really mess t up but it didn't. It did make me awfully sleepy and washed out feeling the rest of the day. Beginning to think the carby foods just not worth it. We went to the DGS college campus and walked around so that probably helped a lot. I want to start using my recumbant bike again soon. I will probably start using it 5 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week starting next Monday. I will eventually work up to the 15 or 20 min, but DD told me to take it at my own speed... NOT TO PUSH it. So that is a new goal. That and working at getting the next 5 lbs off.

Ruthie - That was a lot of good info. I think some of it has to do with each individual too. The main reason I don't drink wine etc is that I never know if it is going to give me that lathargic washed out feeling like I just need to go to bed and sleep and that can be from one 4 oz glass of wine.

It did mention apple cider vinegar so I am googling it and reading up on it again. I used to take apple cider vinegar... DH #2 took it for his heart and it helped him a lot. I'm going to start taking it again as it has so many good benefits and leveling blood sugar is one of them.

DH, DS and DGS will be going to a sports range today. Everyone else has gone to work or school and it will be just baby and me after his therapist leaves. May have to go get DGD from school unless her Mama gets out of school early and gets her. Mon and Tues are weird right now. Hope this nursing school is as good as it claims because it hasn't been great for DD. No teacher to teach them yesterday so no class. They fired their teacher at the end of last 5 week semester. She didn't teach the class most of the time. We suspect she had some home problems. DD has one more 5 week semester after this class. Already talking like they may still may not be planning on moving any time soon. Of course, I know it will take time to get a job and then save money to move. I have to tell you this girl is really praying about that. Well, it will be what it will be and we'll live with it.

Y'all have a nice day.

froggydawgy
10-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Interesting info about sleep issues!

95 this morning.

Something I learned yesterday (for US readers). My eye doctor can now access all my prescriptions on his computer. He said this is due to new healthcare legislation. Of course it was wrong... corrected four facts in the list including one drug I don't take at all, others are as needed which wasn't noted and one was a lower dose. Just something to be aware of and stay on top of.

Butterfly50
10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Sorry I have been MIA for a few days. Aunt had a bad relasp of the Bronchitis and I had to get her back to the Dr sat morning. After Breathing treatments and a few days of omicef she is doing alot better.

My Boob squishing went well I actually got the results today they are good seen nothing unusual. Had to go to the Eye Dr this morning and he had to give me a prescription for glasses. He added a Bi focal in their said it will only get worse as I get older. Waiting on my eyes to get back to normal so I can work out.

Been doing good here had a few rough dinners My hubbies sister was in from Florida so I did the best I could.

Well I better be going have to get a few things done while I cant see.( I hate doing laundry) , May be I think if I do it now I wont see it to have to fold it and put it away!

pattygirl63
10-17-2012, 09:55 AM
:wave:Hi. Y'all have a great Wednesday.

Butterfly50
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Good afternoon everyone! Had my morning meeting with Richard went well I am thinking of doing another session but I have to take a break for a bit. Things here are going ok . Tomorrow my middle daughter turns 18 we are having a family gathering she has invited the family over will be having chicken and rice with corn bread and cake and ice cream . I am going to have some chicken and veggies.

Better run I have so much I have to do before then.

froggydawgy
10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I did the boob squishing and they tried to do an ultra sound (as I have a cyst maybe) and I could not get thru the ultra sound. I HATE to lay on my back. And it went on forever and ever and ever and finally I HAD to sit up.
So.
Drugs and maybe they can not put me flat on my back. I can reschedule tomorrow at noon.

fatmad
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Froggy, what happens when you are flat on your back? hard to breathe? I find that putting my neck back. Flat I get low back pain, but can bend my knees to relieve that.
fbs was 6.0 today ?????
Scale is the same too. Am trying to take the effexor before bed. No problem last night slept well. Will see how that goes, its also time to go to full dose.
Its potluck day at work, so hope to avoid overeating with that.
Have a good day chickies

pattygirl63
10-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Good Morning,

Company left about 8:15 so we are back to what is considered normal, however, we really did enjoy being with them.

I decided to start using Livingstrong.com again to track calories, carbs and weight. I've lost 4 lbs since I had been there last so that was a good feeling. Ticker is still correct. In fact, weight may be slightly lower a bit. I am eating my oatmeal for breakfast again although eating half a serving. Being cold weather again, I really enjoy having it for breakfast. I'm trying to make that the only starchy carbs for each day. However, I am eating fruity carbs as well as the veggies. Carbs ran around 100 yesterday, but I suspect they will be lower most days. This way I can count without spending a lot of time on it.

Y'all have a great day.

Ruthxxx
10-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Trish, thanks for the reminder about oatmeal. I must get some and get back to hot cereal on cold mornings.

Trudging along with a good FBGL despite several popcorn indulgences. All gone now - it was trash day. Weight is dropping a smidgen each day but I really don't trust it. 187 something to 186.4 is pretty slow progress for a week. However, I have not been eating "pure".

Just called and got an appointment for fasting bloodwork next Thursday with a doctor's appointment the following week - November 1! - to go over the results. I want to get a referral to a dermatologist since I have some reddish patches on my face that seem to stick around too long. I'm hoping nothing needs doing until December because I am planning to drive to southern PA to spend USA Thanksgiving with a dear friend there.

Happy Thursday to us all.

froggydawgy
10-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Flat on my back triggers anxiety. Then being pushed on and not having 'control' makes it worst.
Dr. decided to send me to a friend who can do the ultrasound in her office. I will ask to have my head raised *and* she is giving me some med. AND best of all it is *next* week so I have some grace period.

My lunch is some form of cabbage :-) In warm weather it is a salad and in cold weather it is a soup. I'm thinking of switching to soup today. I loves soups and they are a good way to fill me up. I will cut a lot of things with chicken broth - chili, gravy to make them more carb friendly and still get to eat stuff that I fix for DH and DD and the boys when they are home.

Butterfly50
10-18-2012, 11:14 PM
I hate not being able to work out cause I end up going off plan. Not gone off too bad but bad enough have spent all day getting ready for this party Thank goodness it is done and over with. Well back on track tomorrow . I hope all is going well with everyone.

fatmad
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi all, ticker not moving, and have allowed myself to get off track with exercise after a late night of work Tuesday into Wednesday. No excuses today!

pattygirl63
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Have a brunch at IHop tomorrow and as much as I hate to do it, I may skip it. I tried looking up IHop menu but couldn't find anything so not sure what I would eat there. Besides I've been so very tired with the busy week of company. So I may just sleep in tomorrow. Will decide probably in the morning.

Hope everyone has a good Friday and a good weekend.

Bonnie Hope things are better today.

:wave:Hi Everybody!!!

Ruthxxx
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Day did not start well as I had a very low FBGL for some reason - 2.8 is NOT acceptable. I ate a carby breakfast and then went back to sleep for an hour or so. Felt much better and went off to town around noon - with no lunch! Duh! Came home at 2 to an apple and cheddar cheese plus a glass of milk. We get too soon old and too late smart!
Dinner may be carby - meatloaf and acorn squash come to mind.

fatmad
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
ruth, I think meatloaf and squash would be fine, I don't count my veggies as major carbs, I take the ww approach these days, and just count potatoes, corn and pea as carbs. I eat fruit and other veggies pretty freely. Speaking of which, still scale hasn't budged, I have been doing closer to ww this week, a bit higher carb, and its not going well. One reason was that things weren't moving much (tmi) but oddly the whole wheat didn't help. Will try some clear lax today, and go back to lower carb. Also have felt quite sleep every afternoon, not sure if it was diet or meds. Back to what works. I did get out for a walk yesterday, and will again this afternoon, will also work in the garden to clear things out and get ready for winter. I think snow will come for my birthday in November . ; )
Trish, couldn't you get all day breakfast at IHOP? (never been there so don't know) like egg and canadian bacon, skip the toast and hash browns? ask for fruit cup instead? most diners could do something like that?
anyway all, have a nice weekend.

Riemontana
10-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Hello all!

Internet problems have kept me offline all week. :( I miss you guys when I can't get here. Fbs at 83 this morning I have been working out but my weight seems to be stuck. I will keep at it and hope for a whoosh. I learned this week that subway now has a "chopped salad". Any sub can be ordered as a salad. They put all your ingredients in a bowl, chop them up and you have a salad. It will be my new meal at pool nights.

Bonnie, like you, working out is the key to everything. I stay on plan with eating when I work out. It really curbs my appetite. Today I am going to a friends and we are doing a 3 mile walk. We have a 5k next week and I don't know if she is ready.

Ruth, those lows are pretty scary. I hope you get things under control.

Trish, I stick with plain eggs and breakfast meat at IHOP. It is really hard to resist things there. FYI, they put pancake mix in the omlets....

Mad, hoping we both get a whoosh!

Froggy, I hope the tests go better this week.

Gotta go.

Rie

pattygirl63
10-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did finally find info on line before I went and learned that the omlets had the pancake batter in it so I had decided not to eat one. I didn't decide until this morning to go to the breakfast meeting and was pleased to find that they had a Seniors meal called 2 x 2 x 2 meal so I had it... 2 scrambled eggs, 2 sl bacon and ate a little less than 1 of the pancakes and left the rest. I was surprised at how satisfied and happy with my meal that I was and that I didn't get hungry any more until much later... almost 5ish. I ate a sandwich and haven't eaten anything else. I would like to stop my eating around 5 or 6 each day and get away from snacks. That is my goal.

I've spent most of a month cutting out wheat which isn't easy to do and I'm not willing to make things from scratch to go wheat or gluten free. I never felt any different without it than I do with it. Having lots of stomach problems right now so can't go too low or too high carby right now. So I'm going more for balanced meals and I want to do away with snacks and will count calories to get this weight off. I hope this will not only help me reach goal, but that it will also help me learn portion control so I can be successful at maintenance when I get there. I don't know why it has taken me so long to get my head on straight with this, but I've just had a really bad attitude about it for so long. It's time to get it together again. I think it made me mad that I'm 69 yrs old and still having to fight this battle. I've been successful before only to screw up and have to do it again. This time, I'm going to do it and keep it off. It's just crazy not to.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Ruthxxx
10-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Good Sunday morning. Weight is still up and the crazy FBGL is high - for me. Not sure why but am glad I've scheduled bloodwork and a doc appointment this week.

It's been a stressful few weeks but I hope I'm over the hump. When doing taxes for the Mill, I discovered a major discrepancy in the system but do know how to correct it. This has been bugging me as I'm a bit OCD! Now to advise the auditor who is in the middle of an audit - I don't think he's spotted it.

Today should be a good day. I was invited out to dinner tonight but have not responded. I think I want a quiet evening at home instead. I must get back into the gym routine first thing tomorrow morning.

Time for a spinach, ground flax, strawberry and almond milk smoothie. (I'm actually starting to like them!)

fatmad
10-21-2012, 10:28 AM
welcome back Rie: we missed you.
My weight is still stuck. My appetite is down and I know I am not eating as much as usual, but still not moving. I took some clearlax last evening, hasn't worked yet, and if things would get moving that way, maybe so will the weight. I think effexor may also have a bit of a constipating effect, I didn't really have much problem with the zoloft but we all respond a little differently to different meds. The sleep has been very good, nice deep sleep, waking refreshed, having dreams etc. Also helps that the weather is cooler, but no too cold to open the window a bit and have fresh cool air and a warm duvet to sleep with.

Plan for a trail walk today if work doesn't call, the weekend hasn't been as busy as I had hoped for! but did have a lovely baby girl last night with a family that has 3 boys, so they are tickled pink! :D

Trish: good for you for finding what works for you and really sticking with it. It is difficult at times, but you are finding your way. And finding a way to enjoy the company of friends so you don't feel left out because of your eating plan will really help you stick it out. Yes, giving up wheat is really hard, its everywhere and in everything. I couldn't believe it when you said they put pancake batter in the omelet.

Ruth: Good for you for spotting the problem, you must be a valuable volunteer with that eye for detail. I am not a detail person, but I so appreciate it in others.

Bonnie and Froggy and everyone else, a big hello, and hope to hear from you soon.

Riemontana
10-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Hello all!

It has been a good weekend full of activity and good eating. Perhaps a little more wine than absolutely needed. :o I have been active with exercise the last couple of days. This morning I walked a little more than 2 miles at a fast pace. I am doing the http://www.colormerad.com/ race on Saturday so I will spend my exercise this week getting ready. I am looking forward to it. I will be walking with several of my friends.

Mad, how nice to spend your professional life bringing such joy into people's lives. Bless you.

Ruth, like Mad, I admire anyone who could find that kind of error. I often joke that I went to social work school to avoid that kind of math. :D Of course, I am an administrator so I manage budgets. :dizzy:

Bonnie and Froggy. I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Rie

froggydawgy
10-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I figure there is no escaping math....
I was surprised to find, as a tutor, math is my favorite subject to teach - like solving a puzzle.

New appointment on Thursday with a woman who does the ultrasounds in her office and hopefully I can raise my head and I will have drugs - not thrilled about the drugs and still have not decided if I will take anything. HATE feeling altered.

But will get thru the week. I keep thinking what would I tell my kids to do and then I will DO IT!

Butterfly50
10-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Well I must say I have been off plan 1/2 way for about a week been so busy here this week I have had no time to do nothing. I swear I need to clone myself a few times and may be I can get some where here. Got lots to do this week so Hopefully I can get back on track I sure need it!!! Well Better be going to bed have a big week of lots to do here.....

fatmad
10-22-2012, 07:38 AM
hi all, weight the same, fbs 5.1 so not bad. Having a carb craving, and couldn't sleep after 5:30 or so, so am up early and decided to make old fashioned oatmeal, will at least avoid the wheat, cooking the oats in the milk so it will be higher protein as well. With some peaches canned in water will be a fine breakfast. Hope it will stick to my ribs. I have an early meeting at the hospital at 8. I set my alarm, which I don't usually do, and after getting up at 5 to use the washroom, couldn't get back to sleep. Anyone else do this? Unable to sleep for fear of the alarm waking you? Ridiculous, but there is it.
I walked the dog yesterday. Am off call this week for clinical work, so will be more regular with exercise and no excuses! Hot yoga this evening.
Rie: have a good week training for the race, hope the knees hold out!
Bonnie: don't get so busy you are not taking care of yourself, you are important too!
Froggy: I know about panic in certain positions, I find certain yoga postures (backbends) do it to me as well, I have trouble breathing too with it. I just avoid them, but its more difficult in your position. If you haven't been tested for sleep apnea, check with your doctor, this may be related.
Hello to Trish and Ruth and everyone else, hope your Monday is low stress and good eating!

Ruthxxx
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, it's time to really get a grip! Weight was 189.2 this morning, up ten pounds since July 1. I think I am going to try modified low carb for a couple of days, keeping close check on my BGL. Did extra at the gym this morning but am very aware that weightloss is 20% exercise and the other 80% is diet.

Had scrambled eggs and bacon with no toast at the restaurant after gym - BGL was 6.0 this morning so I knew I was safe to do the gym before breakfast.

Now to work on stress relief by tackling the rest of the tax return for the Mill and getting it into the mail.

pattygirl63
10-22-2012, 01:12 PM
:wave: flyby for now. Going to meet a friend for lunch. Already have planned what I'm going to order according to calorie count on line. Will be able to eat, enjoy and stay within calorie count for today. Yipee!

BBL

Ruthxxx
10-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Checking in. Did OK on Atkins induction yesterday and BGL stayed level. Weight is down a bit to 187.6 but no real whoosh although I'll take it!

Good lunch planning, Patty.

I'm off to do an audit for the Horticultural Society - kind of ironic when I'm in the middle of an accounting mess in my own organization!

pattygirl63
10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
:wave: Have a great day!!!
BBL

fatmad
10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Today's fbs was 4.9, and weight was down a pound, so true to ticker again.
I doubt I will stay there after today, crazy day with work and didn't eat right, including eating a muffin. (from Tim horton's, full of sugar!) because they were there! Grrr to myself. I have been hungry a lot, yesterday and today. Taking the effexor at night is good for the sleep but not for the appetite apparently.
I am not as sleepy during the day taking it at night.
Ruth: were you an accountant or bookkeeper before retirement? Your skills must be really valued by your organizations. Hope all goes well with this one.
And that the atkins keeps working, you went down a pound so it must be doing something!
Hello to everyone else, see you all tomorrow!

Butterfly50
10-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Omg so I jest ate some Ice Cream with Some M&M's in it kinda feelin down have been 1/2 on plan for two weeks now.

Jest found out that the Uncle we got to Georgia that we go visit has been diagnoised with Liver Cancer and has 6 months to live he also has two Blood clots one in his lungs and one in his leg. Then on top of that I get a call from the obgyn dr and she tells me my test came back with abnormalities and that I need to come in have a biopsey done. I guess when it rains it pours!!!

Well I hope that all is well with everyone and I hope to be back on track soon....

Ruthxxx
10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Oh my, Bonnie, you certainly have a lot to deal with. I hope the biopsy is soon and gives you good news. Be kind to yourself.

Mad, I hope you have forgiven yourself the Timmy muffin. I can't go into that place at all! Nope, I was not in accounting when I retired but in computer systems - a manager at Revenue Canada. I just have an accountant type brain when it comes to managing money. Too bad I can't manage my weight as well.

Atkins seems to be working as I'm down another pound or so this morning. I actually enjoyed my big salad with shrimp last night. I do need to remember to drink lots of water though to avoid the big C.

Wishing us all a happy Hump Day.

fatmad
10-24-2012, 08:44 AM
wow, yes it IS wednesday. My weight didn't go up at all, so for now I am not too worried about that muffin. For those who don't know Tim hortons, its a donut shop, but so much more. These muffins are delicious, but also very large and calorie dense. I realized later that my blessed administrator had cut them in half to make the servings more reasonable, (her husband has diabetes and weight issues) so I actually only ate a 1/2, it was large enough to feel whole!
Today is a conference with food laid on, will see how I handle that, may go out for lunch! for all day breakfast. Do better with eggs.
This sleeping all night is great, could get used to it. I haven't even been waking up to pee lately, sleeping 7-8 hours. However this morning it is still almost dark at 730, which is not so great.
Also for those who wonder, revenue canada, where Ruth used to work, is the canadian IRS. No wonder she is so on top of things. And Ruth, I know what you mean, I am great with teaching nutrition, and know lots about weight loss, but that doesn't mean I am good at doing it! Can't seem to practice what I preach. THough I must say, my clients say it goes much easier to hear about weight struggles from someone who is actually struggling, than a thin woman!
love to all, see you later.

Butterfly50
10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Ruth I go on November the 5th I hope it is good news and nothing bad too I am staying positive here as I have so much more to go threw right now . They are sending my uncle home today and they are setting him up with hospice. He is 87 so I know he has a struggle ahead of him.

I hope all is going well with everyone!!

Ruthxxx
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for explaining Revenue Canada, Mad. AND I have finished the dratted tax return and it goes out in this afternoon's mail!!! Can you tell I'm doing a happy dance? :dance: :dance: :dance:

Bonnie, I'm glad your appointment is soon - a shorter time to fret. By the way, I think the majority of the biopsies show no problem but I'm sure you'll still worry.

Weight is dropping a tad each day so low carb may be the solution to this stall. I really find it hard to have bacon and eggs for breakfast though.

fatmad
10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
BOnnie: for most of us the biopsy is also the treatment. If your family is complete there is little to be concerned about. If not, the biopsy/treatments can put you at risk for premature labour, but better a healthy mother with options for that than otherwise.
By doing the biopsy, the doctor can usually get the precancerous cells and you are fine afterward. I hope it goes well, and its usually no more painful than a routine pap test, but you might have some bleeding afterward. Remember that whole idea of the pap test is to catch changing cells and prevent cancer, and that is the good care you are getting. I am sure you will do well, and getting the test soon will be good.
I am glad you uncle has a hospice to care for him and keep him comfortable.
I will be in Toronto for a couple of days, probably won't take the laptop unless I drive there. Am debating that, I hate to drive to/in the big city, but going up Thursday evening, the traffic into town won't be bad and there are fewer buses and trains going, and having the car there will allow me to leave when its good for me, not worrying about a bus or train schedule.
Well, must look for a hotel on-line

Butterfly50
10-24-2012, 11:29 PM
More Depressing new myuncle has fund out that the cancer has spread to other organs now he may not have six months.
Then got a phone call one of the distant Aunts has been takin to the hospital she has phemonia and she was feeling better got up out of bed and fell and Broke her neck. She is in serious condition.

Well Better be going jest wanted to fill in before I forget...

Thanks for all the kind words I will have to talk to the dr . years ago I had a dr tell me I had a uncler on my cervix he did the freezing on my cervix it might be back ..

pattygirl63
10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
:wave:Everyone.

(((Bonnie))) - Prayers coming your way.

Eating is better although not perfect. Weight is up a bit, but not surprised since I've eat out a lot lately so I'm sure I got lots of salt. Hope I'll do better today. Just taking it one day at a time.

Oldest DGD left for school and won't return until Saturday evening. DSIL flew to FL yesterday. His mother paid for him to go see his son down there. So tomorrow will be a special grandaughter/grandmother day with the youngest DGD. I will plan some special things with her.

Have a great day!!!

Ruthxxx
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Back from Nurse Dracula who had no trouble getting a vein and 9 vials of blood. There have been some times when it was pretty awful bu she's either getting better or my veins are becoming more cooperative. Now for a low carb breakfast.

Bonnie, I feel so badly for your family troubles. Stay strong because I am sure you are needed.

Mad, hope you get a chance to check in during your stay in The Big Smoke and can be strong if faced with food temptations.

Patty, enjoy your special time with your DGD. I am envious and wish mine lived closer to me.

Big wave at Rie and Froggy. Hope to see you soon.

froggydawgy
10-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Bonnie - also scheduled for biopsy on the right breast on Halloween :bat:
I did okay today, had xanax from my dr and they raised my head.

The benefit from the day - on the scale and down 2 lbs. So total now is 16.

fatmad
10-25-2012, 10:25 PM
hello from the big smoke: I walked for about an hour after checking into the hotel. Ate reasonably today, including a small steak and a salad for supper. I am pretty happy with my eating today, and true to ticker for several days, keeping to the med schedule etc. Hope I don't get all stressed out about tomorrow and allow it to affect my sleep. Meditation, here I come.
Prayers for BOnnie and Froggy for their tests, and you too Ruth, glad nurse dracula did a good job for you today.

pattygirl63
10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
:wave: Hello Everybody. Hope everyone has a good Friday and weekend. Praying for those facing tough times right now.

Butterfly50
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi All I have been god today I promise I have only eaten on plan I am thinking of lunch now have to take the girls to their therapy appointment so Need to get a jump on that now.

I have spent the morning on The american Diabetes association web site looking up some use full information I must get back on track I was looking on my face book page where I was 3 pounds from being 250 I need to get back their and pass that too.

I am in need of some butt kicking and some positive thoughts I wish I had some one here close by to work out with maybe I wouldn't be so quick to drop it. Well I better be going I have some lunch to fix before we leave.

Hoping everyone has a positive weekend!!

fatmad
10-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Bonnie: happy to kick your butt, :dancer: I need it too.
Had a stressful day, trying to testify at a hearing, but most of my testimony has been disallowed, so in the end I spoke about 10 sentences and that was it. Very frustrating, and a damning comment on the "justice" system.
I read 2 books in the time it took to argue motions about my testimony. SPent time meditating. Because of the timing etc. haven't been able to get to yoga here in Toronto, but did have that long walk last evening. At least I get to go out for supper with DD in a while. Have stuck to plan, and drank Gallons of water today too. Have about another hour to kill before meeting with DD.
So, shopping/walking I guess.
Best wishes and TGIF

pattygirl63
10-27-2012, 10:37 AM
:wave: A quick flyby for now. My beautician who has been out for 8 mos sick is back today. I look forward to seeing her. Have to run out, but wanted to check in really quick.

BBL

fatmad
10-27-2012, 10:50 AM
fbs 5.4 today, weight the same, (well actually down a quarter pound, but lets see how the next few days go). Came across an interesting book yesterday, may go to chapters and get it, and try an experiment. The diet is lower carb with beans and lentils as the main "filling" carbs, so not as high fat as atkins.
Also, very specific but short exercise program. Looks reasonable, as in not dangerous, and may be a good thing to try.
will be walking the dog today for exercise. OK everyone, choose your plan and get out and MOVE

froggydawgy
10-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Today we start bringing up outdoor Halloween supplies:sklol::spid:
When the kids were home we used to do the whole yard plus the neighbor's with big displays.
Now we do a haunted fairyland with a house, graveyard, spooky trees and lots of little skeletons. Spiderwebs everywhere.
bs this morning at 84 where dr. wants it. One thing with the higher morning numbers is I am not up at 2am starving like I was before.

Ruthxxx
10-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Oy! Weight is still 187 and FBGL is running 5 to 6 for some reason. Off to the doc on Thursday to get bloodwork results and am not optimistic. I suspect stress may have something to do with the high morning readings.

Just back from judging (and tasting) a chili making competition. Good thing is I have now completely lost my appetite and will have no trouble making up the two loaves of sandwiches I promised for tonight's Halloween Dance at the Fair Hall. I am going to just do them, take them over to the hall fridge and then come home to volunteer for ME! I think I am close to volunteer burn-out after the past few weeks.

pattygirl63
10-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Well, I was on FB and read a post DSIL wrote to someone who asked if he was back in FL to stay. He said he was there to visit his son and would be coming back up here Sunday, but that he would be back for good when school is done. So we assume this means that they are moving back down there when DH DD is through with her LPN school. I read it to DH and he said, "Good, let them move but we are not giving them any more money." He said we have given them enough. He was completely different after he learned they were moving back down there. We are hoping they will move back as soon as she graduates. DH says she can go down there and work and do her online RN there. He hasn't been real loving with me for a while, but he actually hugged me and kissed me good night. So there may be a light at the end of the tunnel after all. I do think it would be nice for them to tell us instead of me learning it on FB.

Ruthxxx
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Pattygirl, sure hope that works out and you and your DH get a break. I am afraid I would speak directly to your "DSIL" because having to find out on FB is dirty pool, IMHO. Maybe DH can ask him what his plans are. It seems pretty unfair to leave you in limbo.

Well, I'm pretty sure my elevated FBGL readings have been from stress as I was back to 4.1 this morning. :shrug: Of course I also slept from 9 PM until 7 AM without even a potty break. My other theory about the higher FBGL is that the Dawn Syndrome may have been the culprit as I have been eating fairly lo-carb. Yesterday I had to sample 21 different chilis at the competition - some of it was terrible! - and I'm sure I really overdid the carbs for the day. (One entry was made with bear meat, Irish whiskey, maple syrup and chocolate - definitely the winner for Most Unusual!)

A fairly quiet day ahead with a noon meeting where they are serving BBQ chicken which will be good for low-carbing if I avoid the usual macaroni, potato and Jello salads and sugar-laden cole slaw that always appear at these events. (I've lived here full-time since 1998 and the food has not changed a bit!)

Not sure who is in the path of wicked Sandy but do know we will be affected later in the week. Stay safe if need be.

fatmad
10-28-2012, 10:47 AM
fbs 5.4 today, and weight steady. Had a lovely trail walk with the dog yesterday, and will plan it again today. Nothing planned, just a quiet day, we will just clean the house and do the groceries for the week. Hope everyone has a lovely SUnday, and Ruth, beware the coleslaw, one of my great weaknesses.

Ruthxxx
10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Mad, no problem re the darned cole slaw. It is one of those recipes they make days ahead and is loaded with sugar. I really can't stand it. No wonder there is an obesity problem around here! Your trail walk sounds good. Unfortunately my woods are not safe this time of year - it's posted but some hunters are still trespassing.

pattygirl63
10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Ruthie Glad you had a good nights sleep.

Actually DH and I talked about saying something to DD & DSIL about learning this on FB, but decided that if we say nothing, they will continue to write things and I will read it. If we say something, he might stop writing and we won't know anything. It just tells us a lot about him and her. I really think the good thing that is coming out of this is that DH sees what is going on and he knows he can't continue to help her. Besides, we are running out of money to help her. I'm just sorry DH has to learn how they really are. I know that has to be diffiult for him.

Mad, Bonnie, Froggy, Rie and everyone:wave: Hi!

Have a nice Sunday afternoon.

Ruthxxx
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Survived the lunch and meeting. Took the beef (they changed the menu) and some of the overcooked frozen green beans and added a whole wheat roll to fill the plate. My apple crisp with ice cream looked good but one of the husky farmer guys was glad to eat it for me.

Patty, I guess DH is getting a reality check. I'm hoping the situation resolves itself soon - you do not need the extra aggravation.

fatmad
10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
hope everyone is warm and dry, we haven't been affected by the "frankenstorm" yet except some more rain and cool weather.
Weight the same and bs 5.2 this am.
Trish, my parents saw a big difference in terms of help and care when they were so ill a couple of years ago. My sister helped some, but about a 10th of what I did. This after years of hardly seeing them, only occasional calls, was an improvement, but still not much.
HOwever, my Dad sat me down and explained that he knew what was up, and that he loved and appreciated me, but that parents love their kids no matter what and he still loved my sister, and that the will would split things evenly. The upshot is that i know how it is, but that I won't be upset when he passes away and the will doesn't reflect our contributions to their care. I just do what I do because I love him and will always do it.
SO maybe if DH has a frank talk with his DD before they leave about that it will go a ways to helping the chip on her shoulder.
well, off to work.

Riemontana
10-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Hello Friends!

Internet trouble again but I think they have finally fixed it as they put a new dish up on my roof. I live in the country so it comes through this satelight thing. This weekend was taken up with the race and I had so much fun! It was the most exhilarating 5k that I have ever done. We laughed and danced our way through the whole thing and celebrated before and after.

Here are some pictures: 1) team picture before the race - nice and clean I am the short one in the back with the skinny braids 2) me going through a paint station 3) The "colorful girls" mid way through and 4) the pink cloud at the finish line. We all looked a little chunky because it was 37 degrees at race time so we were wearing layers under our white clothes

Of course, I spent yesterday in a fog of pain pills and ice packs but it was so worth it. Today I feel better and I am ready to get back on track. I am so disappointed with my weight. Bs control is simply not enough.

Mad, it sounds like you are doing well. Good for you. I am sorry about the court stuff. It sounds like your justice system has the same flaws as ours.

Trish, sorry that your dh is getting aware in that manner. It is really tricky to be with kids in those circumstances. I find that, even though they don't intend to take advantage, my grown kids easily think that I have unlimited resources.... :hug:

Bonnie, I will be your long distance workout partner, if you want. Let's challenge each other to at least do 30 minutes of hard workout per day (if I get in 30 minutes, I will get in more than that...;)) Report in every day.... Are you in?

Froggy, that is a good bs level in the morning. I feel bad that your levels affect your hunger so strongly. That must be hard. My bs levels volleying around sometimes let me feel shaky or light headed but never hungry.

Ruth, sometimes we can give to others too much and not take care of ourselves. Take care of you, dear.

Well, off to face the day.... Have a great Monday!

Rie

Butterfly50
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Rie I will take it . Starting today I have to get back fully n track.

S we spent yesterday at the fair was not planning on going but my son and his girl friend was supposed t take the two girls they ended up backing out saying they weren't going till next weekend so me and the hubby ended up takening then after 5 hours of walking I was hurting so bad I could barley walk t the car my feet to my hips were hurting so bad I could barley get int the car.

While I was their we had a sausage dog and me hubby and daughter split a funnel cake ( Better then eating the whole thing) I told my daughter who is 14 and 18 this is why I cant come to these things. Feeling a better today so now I must get busy.

froggydawgy
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Got out part of the Halloween display yesterday and the rest, hopefully, today.
It is forecasted for rain on Halloween, luckily I can send all undistributed candy out to DH's work :witch:

Doing better getting thru the night. Getting rid of Victoza seems to help with that along with the nausea.

Glad we don't have hurricanes out West. Just volcanoes...

pattygirl63
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
First of all, I hope all of those that will be affected by the hurricane will be safe. I've been through 2 or 3 when we lived in So. FL so I know how it can be especially without electricity.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words in my situation. I agree that parents love their kids no matter what they do. It is my hope that DH and I can make the time we have left with them being here making good memories so it can end good. I plan to stay out of the talks as that needs to be between him and his DD. I am thankful that we do know it without them knowing we know as it gives us time to adjust to the idea so we won't be shocked or upset when it comes about. That way we can be supportive of their decision and be ready for it. We hose to live where we live and DH has made it very clear that we have no desire to move back to FL especially south FL. We live where we want to live and they are grown and have the right to live wherever they wish.

I am looking forward to getting my house back and I will finally have the room in my living room to do my dvd exercises again. Of course, I will have that whether they live move somewhere close or go back to FL.

fatmad
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
stayed on plan today, but hunkering down for now, didn't go to yoga this evening. The wind has caused some short term power outages. So we have a great fire going, I can get on the treadmill or do some hot yoga as the fire warms us up. Rie: I love the pics, and sorry you are in pain. YOu too Bonnie.
Hope everyone takes care and keeps warm and dry.

Butterfly50
10-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Rie I did 50 minutes of Sweatin to the oldies today yeah for me . Prayers goes out t everyone who needs them. Well doing my best today Will be back tomorrow to see how things are going.

Ruthxxx
10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
A rather carby supper last night - it's hard to do Atkins with no power unless you want to eat raw meat. I will get better prepared today as long as the power stays on. May be back later to read.

Riemontana
10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Quick post: Bonnie, I got in 40 minutes of walking in little 10-15 minute bursts. Yesterday was such a busy day. Weight lifting this morning...

sorry all, no time today

pattygirl63
10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
:wave: Ruthie, Mad, Bonnie, Rie, Froggy and everyone Busy day. We all have colds at our house. DD didn't go to school today. She is taking youngest DGD to doctor as she has a sore throat. DH and I are going out for a bit and I'll get more meds. I'll get some Dayquil and more Nitequil to knock this out in a few days. Not use to having colds. I guess that comes with having kids around.

Have a good day.

fatmad
10-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi all, didn't weigh or do bs today. Insomnia last night and busy day leading meetings, then DD home for a bit and we took her out for supper. She is planning to switch into a nursing program from biology. I don't know if I talked about this already, but she will be well suited to something where she can apply what she learns, she is very bright, but action oriented, so am very supportive of the idea. And no, she will not be living at home Trish. ; )
So that was the main topic at supper as the process gets formalized.
we just had a few flickers in our power last evening, and lots of wind, but no major problems here. Ruth, hope you have no major issues left from the storm and power outage.
Tomorrow friends.

Ruthxxx
10-31-2012, 09:53 AM
We did fine except for a lot of tree branches down along my fenceline. The power was out again for a while but there were no real problems. Slept way too late this morning to get to the gym.

Weight is still the same but darned FBGL is all over the map these mornings. I go to the Doc tomorrow for bloodwork results and we will discuss that along with why my artificial knee is giving me so much grief.

Aside from some red liquorice that snuck into the house, the rest of the Halloween crud is still in my car. Maybe I'll just give it out from there tonight except pouring rain is predicted.

Have a good last day of the month - new thread tomorrow.

Riemontana
10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi Friends!

Fbs is at 82 this morning and I woke feeling very tired after a night of work interruptions. I have a full house of kids at work and it appears that I may be dealing with an outbreak of whooping cough among my staff. I will get more good/bad news today. Why oh why don't people immunize? These diseases used to be a thing of the past...:(

A bright spot today is that my pool team is going in costume (we are all wearing pajamas) so I will be comfy all day. If the people from the health department need to come over today they will be surprised at how the "director" dresses for work. :D Oh well, it is a kids facility and halloween is an important holiday!

Bonnie, today I am planning interval walking at noon. Only about 3 hours sleep so it may be a day that you beat me in our challenge....

Trish, I think that nursing is a noble and portable career that one can take anywhere. I had a couple young, single friends that worked for nursing temp agencies and they had wonderful adventures traveling around and making lots of money while seeing all of the United States.... Do they have those in Canada?

Ruth, I hope you get some good answers at the doc. Your artificial knee hurts? The muscles or the joint? I need that surgery but it scares me so much :(

Trish, it amazes me how much kids in the house increase our exposure to bugs. That, and when we are more crowded, we tend to pass the bugs along. I keep telling myself that it will improve my immune system. ;)

Later!

Rie

fatmad
10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Out here in the countryside we get few if any trick-or-treaters. The little ones in the village are Mennonite, so don't think they will come, and the kids next store are fundamentalists, not sure if they will come. We usually leave a bowl of stuff outside for the kids to help themselves because the dog goes crazy when we open the door. I agree Ruth, keeping it outside is a good idea. Then we can throw out anything that doesn't get taken.
Have a good night everyone, and get rid of the candy after the holiday!

froggydawgy
10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Happy Halloween!
Say BOO to candy :ghost::bat:

Today is the biopsy on the two bumps (hopefully just unhappy
cysts) in the right breast. Will get it over early so we can get
ready for Halloween.

Abby, the little black labrador, thinks she owns the entire
neighborhood and she must supervise and bark at all trick or
treaters so she will spend the evening on our bed. Tar, her very
big brother, is more laid back but will follow her lead. Going to
be a noisy evening.

PStanley
10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Well here it is another month is upon me and I am still feeling like crap. I have had D for years and want what I want when I want it. I still drink REAL coke and eat desserts like I am not diabetic. I really need help and I know that I am the only one who can do it. After all these years trying to get skinny but to no avail, then still being fat and getting diabetes, which I have had for 16 years I don't know where to start or how to save my own life. My feet are numb, I sleep all the time, my thirst is huge. I take Met, 2000, 2 glyburide, 1 diovan for BP and I do have lantus sitting in the frig which I should be taking at night, but I am afraid I will get fat taking it.....Go figure 256 lbs and I am afraid i will get fat, who am I kidding. Any help would be gladly accepted..Thanks,Pat

pattygirl63
10-31-2012, 08:39 PM
:welcome2:Pat. This is a good group for help and support.

Still feeling crappy from this cold and hope to sleep off the meds tonight as I will be taking care of baby tomorrow. See y'all on November chat.

Ruthxxx
11-01-2012, 08:50 AM
October is gone! Come and join the November chat thread.

Link to old thread. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/269100-november-chat-diabetes-support.html#post4515483)