Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~October Golden Girls~~

We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

teehee teehee...thank you Bobbi k3

Hi all from hot and steamy Florida.... The electric went off just before the company left and the house got hot. When alone we jumped in the pool and lazed on the lania. Lunch was perfect, but dinner was even better. I scrambled eggs with onions and shrimp. I can never tell actually how a big company dinner tastes until after when I eat leftovers. Still have about 2lbs of shrimp left and stuck it all in the freezer. Really nice size...15 to a lb.

Rie...How did your aunt do on the walk? Did you keep up with her?

Rosie...I am so sorry your heart still hurts. You will know when it's time to look for another baby boy because your arms will be ready. Our fur face buddies are pure love makers that give love, never judge and forgive quicker than even God. I can't imagine not having fuzzy faces around. I'd love to have a smallish dog to use for pet therapy.....what am I saying have a friend who has 2 (2!) Irish wolfhounds that are certified therapy dogs. They walking to a nursing home room and stick their heads between the bed rails. Scare the sparkles out the staff but the patients adore them.

Bobbi...what a mess they made of your yard. YUCK....come on grass grow!

Karen...When the girls see those elephants to they moan and howl? Dash does and it is so weird sounding.

Carol Sue, Mary, and Carbie hi......keep promising personals...maybe tomorrow just everyone including Zoe and Isabella and Marie and Donna consider yourselves hugged...k3

ps nice edit Bobbi.....

Last edited by Karen3; 10-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick one. We went to church and then out to lunch at a Filipino restaurant. I think I went over a bit but not too badly. I had about 1/3 cup white rice, a small portion of Kalderetta (I usually spell with a C but that's how they spell it...it's a tomato based beef stew with potatoes in it), 2 veg spring rolls and a small serving of Leche Flan. I should have left off either the extra spring roll or the Flan. Oh well...

Now I'm sleepy...think I'll lay down for a while.

ETA: BTW, attached to the meat in the Kalderetta were two large pieces of fat. I cut them off and of course, dh says can I have that...that's the best part! I said no, you can't have it and put it on a plate to the side to be sure it would be removed. Then when the waitress goes to put the remaining food in containers for us to take home, she asks if we want it!! I said NO, really fast before dh could say anything...after she left I asked him if he really wanted that clogging up his arteries...I guess you just can't teach an old dog new tricks...

Last edited by maryea; 09-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #4  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick Hola!

I forgot what all I read in September Golden Girls and so have to go back and look again. So, suffice it to say, this post will be SHORT.

However... Rosey - the apple pie made me want to get on a plane and come to visit. Pies are my most favorite favorite! And sweet little Toots! What a dumpling she is!

Bobbi - I think I completely missed your post (how could that happen?) and that's what I need to go re-read.

So, later... KarenFL, Mary, Cajun, Gayle, everyone, everyone... have a good rest of the Sunday!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #5  
Bobbi

Good Morning October and my best long distant friends. I made a copy of this recipe from my emails this morning. It's from Ginas' skinny recipes. (skinnytaste.com) We have lots of basil still growing in my herb garden and a great way to use some of it up.
Quote:
Skinny Basil Pesto
Calories: 86 •
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup basil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
Directions:

In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use or you can freeze this in ziplocks bags to use at a later date.

Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake
2 (16 oz total) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 4 tsp Skinny Basil Pesto
  • 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
  • 6 tbsp (1.5 oz) shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese
Directions:

Wash chicken and dry with a paper towel. Slice chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner cutlets. Season lightly with salt and fresh pepper.

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment for easy clean-up.

Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet. Spread 1 tsp of skinny pesto over each piece of chicken.

Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven; top with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Mary...typical man who is skinny and wants to eat the fat. I could just glue that hunk of fat to my tummy and hips and make a short cut of it without going thru my stomach. Auk!
Donna...The new septic system is a sore spot with us. About 10 years ago we put in a new septic tank and draining field to the price of $9,000. Then the next year the government came out with the new septic system that had to be on the top ground and draining field. (Just country people). Bruce made such a stink about it that they said we could leave ours until we moved. Then it would have to be updated by the buyer or us. We had our house priced low with the buyer putting it in. We didn't draw any offers so we decided to put it in and raise the price of the house. The new system was around $15,000. Today we're taking a loan out for it, dang.
I have wash to get out on the line and pesto to make.
Later gators.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

He'll goldies,
Today is a cool 61 degrees and misty rain. Dreary Monday. It rained all weekend. I think we ended up with 4". We checked ds's lot and there was no holding water. We were very pleased with that.
Dh and I shopped for the winter camp. Saturday we went to bass pro and SAMs and Sunday we went to academy and jcpenneys. Picked up some things at summer camp and brought to winter camp. We brought his hunting clothes back from the camp to wash. Dh and I are going to visit a cousin and her husband this weekend. Hunting season begins this weekend and the men are going hunting. Should be fun. Looking forward to it. The week will drag I'm sure.

Bobbi~ the chicken recipe sounds good. I think chicken is my favorite. I eat chicken 4 to 5 days a week. That septic system is bull. Some politician will line his pockets with it. They made us put in a new system at our summer camp a few years ago. It cost 2000.00. Not as bad as yours cost but ours was for a camp. Crazy. I hope you can makeup the difference with the price of your house. Not to mention selling it soon to pay off the loan for the sewer system.

Donna~ lol I always have to go back and look at post. I have the can't remember syndrome. Lifes too fast.

Mary~ I ate too much too this weekend. We shopped and eating out is a killer for a diet. My ds absolutely hates fat of any kind on meat. He will leave half of a pork chop and only eat the center because of fat mixed in the meat. I hate to admit but the fat on a charcoal grilled ribeye or tbone is so good. That's some clogging fat for sure. Dh always cuts his off. I do now by the hardest. Lol

Karenfl~ hopefully it will start cooling off for y'all. We caught rain this weekend and it's cool now. Maybe it will keep going and get to y'all. Isn't is lovely not having hurricanes breathing down our neck.

Clothes are ready to be hung. Gotta run before they wrinkle. Hello to Freda,Isabella,carbie,carol sue,Ginger,karen31 and everyone else I forgot.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Yippee ~ day off tomorrow. The three days went ok. I think I acutally got out on time each night.

Got a nice e-mail from DD Jen this morning.

It was nice when I got out of work tonight ~ sun shining ~ nice temperature ~ just right ~ slight breeze, not hot or humid. Had time to do my errands. Found all but a couple of the things on my list. Got Corbin's present for his birthday next Monday ~ he'll be 15 ~ where has the time gone?

Had just gotten home and the door bell rang ~ Maddie wanted to know if I could come out and play. She and Mama were out walking the dogs and stopped by for a hug. I am so thankful to live near them and be able to have these moments to treasure.

DS Jason is gonna come visit tomorrow. Don't get to see or talk to him very often because of our different schedules. So, that will be a treat.

Starting to get sleepy ~ guess I will head off to bed.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 10-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #8  

When I tell dh not to eat big chunks of fat he reminds me that my grandma did it and lived to be 104. I tell him her life style/environment was totally different than ours. She was born in the later part of the 1800s. She ate natural, mostly healthy food raised or grown by her family (not junk filled with sugar and salt) and even though I'm sure she ate plenty of baked foods, and chunks of fat off meat, it doubt it was a constant thing. She worked extremely hard physically and breathed in much cleaner air, and the rays of the sun that shined on her were not coming through an ozone layer with holes. She was not a skinny woman when I knew her but I doubt she ever weighed as much as I do. I would estimate she stayed around 140-150ish.

Glynne - Sounds like you had a pleasant day and have something to look forward to...that's very good!

Cajun - I messed up tonight again after doing well all day. I had my evening snack but somehow got it into my head that I could have more so I made a mocha. Should have checked my food diary first. I know to do that but sometimes I think I try to fool myself into thinking I don't need it... This is why I have high morning BS, when will I ever learn.

Otherwise a good busy day...didn't get everything done but quite a lot.

Last edited by maryea; 10-02-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #9  
Bobbi

Good Morning...
cajun I have more washed clothes to get out this morning too. What big game critters do you hunt? Dh will be hunting white tail deer soon. Our deer around here are all corn feed and very delicious meat where the mule deer out west eat sage and seems more gamey to us. (Still good to eat)
Rie...I'm guessing thats what you eat in Montana.
Mary...your grandma lived to a ripe old age, you're right about their life style. My grampa was 103, still made his own homemade bread in his late 90's. Back when they were so physical, they probably needed the fat on meat to stay healthy.
Glynne...hugs are nice, wish I'd had some girl granddaughters. (I do get hugs from the boys)
K3 & Donna...took $98.00 of grass seed for the yard....geezz. Yes, we did raise the price of the house.
Now I have to quit gabbing and get my clothes out.
P.S. My printer needed color and black ink, cartridges would be around $40.00 bucks. I just bought a new printer for $29.00 with new cartridges included. Say What? I have a nice computer tech that taught me that, he said it's cheaper to buy a new printer than replacing the ink, he's so right. I will sell my old printer at the next rummage sale.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies,
I'm feeling so good this morning. The weather is gorgeous. Sunny and cool. My kinda day. Washing clothes again. Does that ever stop. Cleaning a few things today. Making a list for our trip this weekend. I'm excited about that. Looking forward to seeing my cousin. She texted me this morning at 6:30 to make sure we didn't cancel. Said she would cry if we did. Lol. We have so much fun with this couple.
Today is weigh in. :0 we ate out all weekend during our shopping spree. Last week I gained 2.5 lbs. Today I'm happy to report a 3 lb loss. So I just actually lost a half pound. I'll take that.

Bobbi~We hunt whitetail deer also. Wild hogs also. But this weekend my dh is hunting squirrel and rabbits. We eat all kinds of wild game. Deer, wild hogs, squirrel,rabbit,ducks,doves,turkey. They say a cajun will eat anything that don't eat him first. Lol. That's a good idea about the printer. Ink is expensive.

Mary~ I do the same thing. All we can do is get back on and try again. Where would we be if we didn't try at all.......

Gayle~ there's nothing like a smooth day at work. Both my boys will be living on our property so it will be nice to have them nearby.

Ginger Carbi where are y'all?

Hi all, washing is calling again.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi Goldens!

Just a quick one...

I didn't get home from league last night until 11:30. I skipped dinner and ate too much pepper jelly and fresh salsa that I was sharing with friends. This morning I got up and tried my new wii zumba game. Wow. They move fast. I don't know if I will be able to learn it but I would like to try. Tonight after work I have to take the camper to dump the tanks and then deliver it to the shop. I can have it winterized for only $79. No way am I going to do it for myself for that much! I have to go to my cousins for a birthday party at 7 so I better get moving today!

Gayle, I think it is terrific that Maddy just stops by. In less than a month, Gabriel will live just down the road. So I am excited.

Bobbi, I don't personally hunt any more although I sometimes go to hunting camp. I eat such small portions of meat that keeping game doesn't really make sense. Of course, I eat it at my friends. Most of our deer are taken around our farm so they eat grain and sugar beets. They taste really good.

Cajun, in the summer, when I am looking at camping or fishing almost every weekend, I am in a constant state of excited planning and list making all the time. It is so much fun! Enjoy!

Mary, my relatives ate bacon, fat, and lots of meat and potatoes. So did I when I was younger. Of course, we worked very hard and moved a lot. When my kids come home, one of our goals is to go back to canning and preserving more of our own food. I look forward to it.

Karenfl, I love the description of you guys bobbing around in the pool and lounging on the lania . Oh the life of Floridians! No such activities up here....

Sorry all, gotta go, much love to Donna, Karen, Rosey, Freda, Carol and anyone else that I missed. Later!

Rie
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

[B]Hello Goldies,
I've been absent for a couple of days because I just didn't feel too great. I didn't get a lot done on Saturday because my oldest son came to visit around 5 PM and stayed till around 8 PM. Sunday I finished the curtains for the narrow window, then watched the Vikings game ( ) and that kinda put me in a non-work mood. Went later that afternoon and bought new blinds (wrong size!) now I need to take them back and get correct size.
Yesterday I decided the curtains on one of the windows weren't full enough so I added a panel to each side. Looks better. to me.
I just feel ..... "off" today yet. Not sick, ... just tired I guess would be the word. So, I might start the DR curtains today, and I might not. I don't want to get in a lazy mode, so I really should get started on them. Then the painting.

The leaves are starting to fall from the trees too, and that will be my next project. Raking leaves.
Cajun, as a kid I ate like you do, ... wild animals, deer, squirrel, rabbit, duck, goose, fish, and we had a huge garden and my mother canned many vegetables. We also had a root cellar, with a dirt floor, off the main basement, and we had big tubs of sand in there and we stuck all the root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, turnips, rutabagas, etc in that sand and they stayed good all winter.

Rie, you sure are a busy girl! I bought an exercise video about 4 months ago and I have yet to play it! I guess I'm a procrastinator when it comes to some things. I used to love to go camping when my kids were growing up. We all had fun and it was work before and after the camping trips, but it was so worth it.
How did your walk with your Aunt go?

Karenfl, what I wouldn't give to have a pool! Lucky you!

Mary, I love the fat around the edge of a steak or pork chop, as long as they're cooked to a crisp. I guess that's why I have such a hard time losing weight too.

Bobbi, they sure dug up your property! Oh well, in a year you will hardly be able to tell the difference. That's a big chunk of money to have to pay out though. I wish I could go hunting yet. I'd get a tag and license and go with my son and grandson. Although, this year they're only going bow hunting. I love, love venison. There are a couple buffalo farms near me too and they're all grass fed, so I just may stock up on some buffalo meat for the winter. It's so very expensive though. But, on the other hand, it has only half the calories of beef. I believe there is a farm that raises only grass fed beef too, no animal by-products etc.

Gayle, I think that's so cute that that little girl stops and asks you to come out and play. One of my sons used to do that with a neighbor when he was about 3 yrs old. I don't know why he latched on to her, but they were best buds! And she and I became good friends too because of his friendship with her.

Jess, you're like me! Ha! I always say I have a good memory, .... it's just short!

Rosey, that pie looked so very good, I could swear I smelled it!

I know I've missed people, but have to go now. Have a great day everyone! ..... Carbie
[B]
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #13  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG’s,

Day off yippee. Wish I felt better though. I went for a good long while without being sick or anything. Then I get a bad cold a couple weeks ago and missed a few days of work. Saturday I started in again with a sore throat and coughing. So far, I don’t feel as bad as last time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will go away and not get as bad as it was before.

Carbie ~ Maybe you are sore and tired from all the painting and things you have been doing. Like Karen31 said: I read your post and then I need to lay down and take a nap! I don’t know how you do it. You put me to shame. Maybe slow down a little and take care of yourself.

The little girl you mentioned who stopped by and asked me to come out and play is my little granddaughter Maddie. They live right around the corner from us and so just pop in when ever. I know I talk a lot about it and I hope I don’t upset those whose grandchildren don’t live nearby. That used to be my situation. I lived in North Carolina and they lived here in Houston. I only got to see them once a year. I missed them so badly. So, my telling about it so much is not to make anyone else feel bad, but to express something that I am thankful for.

Well, the wash is calling. Oh ~ a hummingbird just came up to the window and looked in at me

Hope you all are having a nice day.

Picture is of DH, Maddie and me at the county fair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3884 - Copy.jpg (27.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by glynne; 10-02-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Thanks Cajun that storm front arrived (sort of). It has showered a few times and then everything steamed up and dried up. The temp stayed in the 85+ so that is an improvement, I guess. It is still bleeping summer here.

Just heard that my DB has CA and is in hospce care. Say a small prayer for him that he has a gentle passing.

Funny but growing up I always called him "Brother." And so did everyone else. Bet people have a hard time remembering his name is Alex.... When DD was a baby she couldn't say Uncle Alex and it came as Gah. 50 yrs later she still calls him that.

Saw a new BBC show last night on PBS....Call the Midwife....set in the 50's in London. The midwives work with nuns and travel to cases peddling bikes. It was really well done and not that far in the past. Heck my DD was born in 1959.....A preemie was born and the mother refused to let them take it to the hospital. The nun said she was interested to see how well love can do in caring for the baby. Last shot the baby was gaining weight...oh and this was the 25th birth for that mother.....There was a line about "pram babies"....the women had the kids so close together that when the next one is born the last one is pushed out of the pram....This was just before the PILL was available. I want to see the rest of the series. They are finishing up the 2nd year.....

Darn it...Dh has screwed up his home page again...he cliicks on everything and gets so far off in cyber space.....Gotta go pull him back home. BBL k3
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #15  
Want to feel better

K3 ~ sorry to hear about your brother ~ will pray.
Closed Thread