100 lb. Club - Support for the Last 10-20 lbs for 100 lb. club! (Part 2)

berryblondeboys
09-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Continuing the 10-20 lbs to goal thread that Runningfromfat started. Anyone in the 100 lbs club (someone who plans to lose 100+ pounds) can post here. It's especially geared for those that are zeroing in on their end goal weight (however liquid that goal weight might be).

I think for many of us who were very overweight, those last 10-20 pounds are extra difficult for so many reasons - we are diet fatigued as we have been at this a very long time (most of us, anyway) and we are satisfied with our progress and might be just fighting for vanity pounds versus any real health gains. (though getting fitter is always a good idea for all people), and for everyone, those last pounds are just slow to come off.

This sound like it's a group for you? Please join us for Part 2!

berryblondeboys
09-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Several of us on the last 10-20 lbs thread decided to do an end of the year challenge. For some of us, it's to get to goal, for others, it's just to get closer to goal. It's not a competition. It's just moral support to help us focus!

Want to join? Just list your goals for the end of the year - be it in pounds, measurements, or fitness. Or, a mix of all three.

In your status updates, just let us know how you are doing towards getting to your goal.

berryblondeboys
09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Steph Woohoo! to you on getting back down to 132. You soooo will make it into the 120s and I will be cheering right along side you!

Toasted It is a good thing you have been taking it easy. You have been on an antibiotic for a lung infection! You need to let your body heal before pushing it again. Just be proud of what you ARE able to do!

KatelstarYou are so smart to have lost the weight and to have gotten fit before starting a pregnancy. I wish I would have done that both times. I will forever in my head wonder if maybe the reason my youngest has Asperger's is because of my bad weight and probably declining health.

For me, day two of TTOM and scale is down a bit Woohoo! I'm off to search for jeans today as I'll be way too busy next week to do any of that!

End of the year challenge (or by 12/10, my 43rd birthday):

SW: 180.8
CW: 173.0
GW: 160.0

kateleestar
09-28-2012, 09:25 AM
YEY NEW THREAD! :carrot:

Hi everyone.

kate: How are you liking the crossfit so far? I really struggle with getting my strength training in and definitely need to do better. I don't like lifting weights or pulling or pushing things on the machine. I suppose I'm looking for something dynamic that maybe uses bodyweight like burpees pushups or jump squats.

Here's wishing everyone an awesome Friday!!!

I'm doing it at home, lol, on my own, so I only do body weight exersizes. I'm doing a combo of pushups/squats, and then burpees, and then plank... then some russian twists, and more squats. I've been sore for days, lol.

Katelstar You are so smart to have lost the weight and to have gotten fit before starting a pregnancy. I wish I would have done that both times. I will forever in my head wonder if maybe the reason my youngest has Asperger's is because of my bad weight and probably declining health.

Thanks!

My mom had lupus, its what killed her actually, and the older I get the more I think she had it before she had me. Even before she miscarried the brother-that-wasnt, but.. still. I'm completely terrified that I'll end up with it, not for the struggles she had, but for all the stuff she missed out on by dying at 59 (when I was barely 24.). I can't put my kids through that. It was too much. So, here I am, lupus-symptom-free (its not likely that I'll get it any more than anyone else would, thank God) but still trying to prevent ANYTHING that I can. Any complication that I can prevent, anything that I can do to make pregnancy easier, I'm going to try it. And I want to 'rebound' quickly too.

So super scary! Eeeek!! :lol:

And I've read studies about that, Melissa. But you can't ever say for 100% completely sure its linked, you know? I was diagnosed ADHD with 'characteristics' of aspergers, but my mom was normal weight when she had me... so, who the heck knows! :D

Steph, if I hear a thud, I'll know. :lol: If you hear a thud to the west, its me getting back into the 170's, LOL.

kateleestar
09-28-2012, 09:33 AM
I think for many of us who were very overweight, those last 10-20 pounds are extra difficult for so many reasons - we are diet fatigued as we have been at this a very long time (most of us, anyway) and we are satisfied with our progress and might be just fighting for vanity pounds versus any real health gains. (though getting fitter is always a good idea for all people), and for everyone, those last pounds are just slow to come off.

This is so me. SIGH. That's me, like to 150%, lol.

Steph7409
09-28-2012, 10:34 AM
berry, thanks for starting the new thread. And, geez, I hope you don't worry too much about being responsible for your son's Asperger's. Everything is such a crap shoot, it's sometimes amazing to me that most of us are lucky enough to be reasonably healthy.

And, like Kate said, your description of those of us down to the last bit to lose is spot on. I keep wobbling between wanting to really buckle down and get it done, and telling myself to be patient, take it slow, start eating like I'm going to eat for the rest of my life. So far, "buckling down" just ain't happening so I guess it's option 2!

toasted, I hope that infection has cleared up. You'll get back to your exercise when you're feeling better.

kate, how did you come up with your at-home Crossfit routines? I'd like to do something like that but I need some guidance.

I did 40 minutes of jogging in place last night (while watching CSI), just for something different to do. My HRM said it burned about 250 cals, so not too bad. I'd really like to get outside this weekend, if the weather cooperates.

I hope everyone has some fun this weekend!

toastedsmoke
09-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Yay New Thread!!! Thanks berry for starting this one up. You're so so right about diet fatigue! Also congrats on the jeans!!! I saw you in another thread in the Ann Taylor 6s. Go you!!! I agree with Stef that you should try not to beat yourself up about your little one's condition. My mom I know blames herself for my brother and I's obesity issues whereas I don't feel that way at all, I think she's the absolute best in the world and my weight issues are a combination of several different factors and just my luck in the draw in being who I am.

steph: Yay on being back at 132!!! And doing the jogging in place whilst watching CSI. That's a great idea. I wish I could get one of those tvs that were powered by an exercise bike or the treadmill or elliptical. Or these days that I'm so busy, how "awesome" would it be if I could only charge my laptop through exercise. I would SOOOO be in shape!

kate: Your crossfit routines sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I want to do some strength but without weights. I too would like to know how you came up with your routines and/or if you'd mind sharing them.

This week has been really busy for me. I started feeling better after I started taking the antibiotics but several all-nighters with work in a row kind of have me feeling run down this weekend. I love what I do, but I kind of feel consumed by it right now and can't wait till things slow down a little at least so I don't feel guilty every time I'm doing something not work-related. I am feeling much much better than I was this time last week. Thanks for your kind thoughts, guys!

Plan-wise, week 1 of the end-of-year challenge is going well. Tomorrow is the last day of my 1st week. So far so good. I hit a new low weight ever (well... maybe since I was 10 years old) today of 153.5 lbs. Which is finally a step in the right direction weight wise. Hopefully it sticks. Calorie wise, I had a goal of four under-1400 calorie days a week, today made my 5th under-1400 calorie day. Tomorrow is supposed to be the day I'm allowed to eat at maintenance, we'll see how that goes. I might skip that this week and save it for another time. I'm not feeling "deprived." We'll see.

I hope you all are having a fab weekend!

SW: 156.5, CW:153.5, GW: 145

I'll post my other week 1 goal updates tomorrow or Monday.

Steph7409
09-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I did some completely unnecessary snacking last night and bounced back up to 133, but I'm okay with that being my high weight. I try to measure my progress by how low the high end of my bounces go, if that makes sense.

It finally stopped raining this afternoon, so I went for a jog. I did my little loop where I run down the hill, then back and forth along that block, then walk up the hill to take a little break. I did it for 40 minutes and felt pretty good. My HRM said I burned over 300 calories, so I'm happy with that. My thigh still hurts so I'm not going to press my luck with the recumbent bike just yet.

toasted, do you mind me asking what kind of work you do? I work as a tax preparer at a CPA firm so we work crazy hours before some deadlines, but never all-nighters. And I can't really say I love what I do! I hope you're doing something more worthwhile than filling out forms (like I do) and that the satisfaction you get is worth the effort you put in.

I'm going to paint my stairs tomorrow. I took the spindles out of the balustrade so I'll have to be careful not to fall through!

freefall
09-29-2012, 06:20 PM
I haven't been on in a while but signed on and was so happy to see this. I have a little more than that left that I want to lose but do feel like I'm zeroing in on the last part of things and definitely have some diet fatigue - and a lot of frustration that the scale hasn't moved in months even though I've tried upping exercise, dropping calories, carb cycling etc...
Impressed by where you guys are and hoping I can get things moving again!

toastedsmoke
09-30-2012, 04:28 PM
freefall: Welcome. A lot of us are struggling with diet fatigue. Just keep plugging away. Maybe join our year end challenge? After doing this for so long, it's hard to keep the discipline and motivation up. I'm sure things will get moving for you again.

Steph: Well done with getting the workout in! I totally get judging progress by the high end of bounces and think that's a great idea. I work in public health communication. This means different things at different times. Right now, I write and produce radio soap operas with a message. So for example 1 project I'm working on currently is on family planning and safe motherhood. Think like old-school Lifetime after-school specials meet Days of Our Lives. I'm working on 4 unique soaps on this subject airing in 4 different cities and they have to be written in English, approved by the sponsors, translated into local languages, then produced in studio and broadcast. Three out of four of them premiere the second season this week (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) and we are running SUPER-late with them which is why I've been staying up nights reviewing scripts, listening to the raw recordings, doing up new ads that will replace the promo ones once the programme goes on air etc etc. And this has to be done in addition to managing another project that's on air right now and other run-of-the-mill admin work like report-writing, dealing with collaborators, meetings, proposal-writing, trainings etc which don't end because 1 project is about to go on air. I've probably not explained this very well.

I'm TOM-ing or as my BFF says "periodical" and this month is particularly brutal for some reason. But shock of shocks, my weight has dropped again. Which never happens!!! Anyway, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm down 0.5 lbs to a new all time low of 153!!! Which I realized means I'm in a new decade in kg, the 60s! :carrot: :carrot:

Here's wishing everyone a great week ahead.

Week 1 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW: 153 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)

2.) Under 1400 calories at least 4 times a week.
I was under 1400 calories 5 times this week

3.) At most 1 maintenance calories day per week.
I had ZERO maintenance calorie days this week

4.) Work out AT LEAST 3 times a week.
I didn't work out at all this week.

5.) Run 30 minutes at speed 6 mph (9.7 kph)
SS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) CS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) GS: 6 mph (9.7 kph)

Steph7409
09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
freefall, I'm glad you're joining us! It looks like you've had great success so far. I'm know it's frustrating to feel stuck and it's hard to stay motivated. This site is a great help for me.

toasted, your job sounds difficult but gratifying. I hope your premieres go well!

I've had a full day. I painted my stairs (they're going to need another coat but the cats were tired of being shut away), cleaned out my bookcases, rearranged some art work in the living room, did laundry, and even went out for a jog. Unfortunately, it started raining when I was about halfway through what I had hoped to do so I had to cut it short. Frankly, I was struggling a bit so I wasn't too upset!

I weighed in at 132.4 this morning, just under my goal for the month - yay!

Prim2012
09-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm in! I feel like my body is at this set-point and I need a lot of motivation as I want to reach my 15 pound goal by year-end.

kateleestar
10-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Hello ladies!

toast and steph:

My at-home-crossfit was made up via pinterest, lol. I got together all the things that I thought would be crossfit-y and do them in order. Well, I didn't do them much last week during the TOM-that-wouldnt-leave, but now its over (?!?!?! ugh.) and I'm gonna get back at it tonight.

I usually do, in a random order that changes daily:

25 squats, 5 girly pushups
20 squats, 10 girly pushups
15 squats, 15 girly pushups
10 squats, 20 girly pushups
5 squats, 25 girly pushups

100 jumping jacks

60 second plank

100 walking lunges (randomly around the house)

up the stairs, down the stairs. up the stairs, down the stairs.

15 burpees, 15 jump squats

100 jumping jacks.

some kettle bell work with my 10/15/25 'bells.. usually involving squats.

Usually by the time I'm done, I'm on FIRE all over, lol... It's a good fire, though. The squats have my legs sore and the pushups have my arms sore just ... all the time now a-days, which is why I think I'm not dropping any lbs, that and the TOM from heck. BUT oh well. Must keep going.

Now if only I can get my eating back in check. SHEESH.

Steph7409
10-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info, kate. It sounds brutal! I've been trying to do "real" pushups and can do about 10, although I'm not getting as low as I should. I'm getting better, though!

And I'm so with you about having trouble keeping the eating in check. I've been doing way too much mindless munching while standing in the kitchen. Just NO, on so many levels. At least I'm not eating the whole box of Amy's Organic Cheddar Bunnies, but still...{{sigh}}

berryblondeboys
10-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi gals! I have been so busy the last couple days - both Sunday and Monday I wasn't home all day except for a minute or two in the evenings and I was barely home on Saturday either. Today, I MUST get work done for my part-time job or I'll never, ever get caught up! Ugh!

The scale is being horribly mean. I know it's water as I've eaten 'weird' food the last couple days as I've been on the run, but still - not nice to see a three pound jump for any reason.

kateleestar
10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
That is never nice, berry, lol...

And I can't, for the life of me, do "real" pushups, Steph. It's a little brutal, but its not really all that bad and it seems to go by quickly. A lot of times I'll walk on the treadmill after too, to 'cool down' and just slow my body down. It also makes me feel like I'm actually acomplishing a workout, instead of just mindlessly doing cardio... know what I mean? I've only.ever.done.cardio. and I think thats a problem, lol! With that 'workout' I sometimes break it up. Like I'll do the plank and some jumping jacks in the morning, while I wait for my tea kettle, or I'll do the kettle bell stuff while I wait for the oven to preheat. Because I'm super weird, lol.

:D

Back down to 183 today, from 186 yesterday, ICK, lol.. TOM had me alllll over the place scale wise, but its gone (:crossed:) now, so I should be good.

Hopefully I can "lose" 10lbs this month, as I signed up for that challenge, lol. It'd be nice, I would feel way WAY more back on track, lol. :D

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!

Steph7409
10-02-2012, 08:48 PM
berry, I hope your scale stops being mean to you.

kate, I do a lot of cardio, too. I enjoy it! But I've been trying to lift heavier and have been lifting 3 times a week (most weeks). I like the New Rules stuff, but I can't do all of it at home with the equipment I have.

I weighed in under 131 today, which is great but makes no sense so I don't trust it. I wore a new dress today, though, that shows off my curves and I felt damn good in it. So that was fun!

toastedsmoke
10-03-2012, 08:22 AM
steph: It sounds like you had a super productive weekend! I'm completely JEALOUS!!! I've been working on real push ups as well but I cheat and don't go down as low as I should. :blush: Back in my Jillian Michael DVD days, I was a lot better at them and could keep up. Now I'm McCheaty with them. The first premier went really well yesterday. The client was happy so I was happy. Thanks so much for the kind wishes with that! Yay new dress!!!

kate: I'm totally stealing that routine (without the kettlebell part though. I don't own kettlebells). Thanks so much for sharing! It sounds like a total wipe out. I'm not even sure I'm fit in the way required to do it anymore (The past year I've been into running and kickboxing to the exclusion of all the other more varied, circuit-type stuff I used to do), but I'm excited about giving it a go. I

berry: I hope things have gotten a little less hectic for you and you're able to catch up with stuff. A bounce in the wrong direction is always tough to accept so I hope the scale cooperates a little better soon.

I'm still pretty busy with work. I'm a lot better in terms of health although I haven't yet had a chance to get my work out on. This is week 4 without running at all so my next run (probably tomorrow morning) is going to either be fabulously amazing or amazingly awful. Either way, if I get it done, there's going to definitely be some amazement. Food-wise, I started the week off with my 1 day eating at maintenance level (darn TOM left me pretty munchy!). Yesterday was pretty good, although I mindlessly ate some jelly candy (I don't even particularly like non-chocolate candy so that was a waste) but I caught myself and only ate like 4 pieces so it wasn't that bad. Ah well... "a luta continua," the struggle continues...

I hope everyone has an awesome and successful day!

berryblondeboys
10-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Steph -woohoo on getting a pound lower - trust it or not I always see it as (even if a blip) showing of what's coming up! And YES to a new dress that shows off your well-earned curves! Love it!

Toasted: Yay that the client likes what you did. I'm glad your health is getting better too. Just realize the first run or two will be hard, but then it will be better - the muscles have amazing memory. Don't let it get you down!

Kate - I have a hard time with pushups too. I was just reading in NRFLW- Women, that instead of going to girly push-ups (which I mostly do too), You should do full push-ups at an incline and slowly lower the incline - that this is the best way to actually transition the best and get the best workout from push-ups. I haven't done it yet though. In BP, I do 4 full length pushups and then drop to my knees for the rest. I'm trying to do them deeper and more of them as I go.

As for me - I missed a week of BP and man, could I feel it last night Whoa! Plus, my shoulder is aching me as I went to a physical therapist to figure out what that aching is all about. They stirred things up, however, and now I feel it more! Ugh... hopefully, that will start to get better as it's been bugging me for 6 months.

kateleestar
10-03-2012, 11:00 AM
berry: I'm starting to do them on the counter, as opposed to the wall, lol. Then, I'll move to the stairs or something, hopefully building up my ability.. and then, the floor! lol.

I think with the mors pushups I do, I'll like my arms more. They are much much smaller than they were and I wasn't uncomfortable in tanks/swim tops this summer, but I would like them toned. I have defined muscles in them, and I know I can build muscle quickly, but.. still. I don't want to have like, CRAZY HUGE arms either, lol..

Steph7409
10-03-2012, 10:17 PM
berry, I did a month of PT on my thigh in June and I know what you mean: I always left there aching. It's a combination of therapy and torture! I hope you get some help with your shoulder. For my thigh, I just have to keep trying to stretch it out but it hurts, so progress is very slow. That stupid fall I took set me back, too.

toasted, I'm glad your first premiere went well. Good luck with the rest! And good luck with getting back to running.

kate, I keep meaning to do push ups at the kitchen counter while I'm waiting for my herd of cats to eat (I have to stay on guard so that my old girl gets to eat all her food and she's the slowest eater ever!). I shall try to implement that plan starting tomorrow.

I had too many sweet treats at work today but I didn't have much of a dinner, so I'm hoping to stay below 132. I haven't weighed this little in at least 20 years. :dizzy:

berryblondeboys
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM
I am up a lousy 4 pounds on the scale. I know it's all/mostly water, but gee whiz! The sock lines from last night - 8 hours ago are still on my legs!

kateleestar
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
My sushi lunch yesterday, however delicious, caused some water weight. BOOHISS.

It's water retention day! :lol:

toastedsmoke
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Hey everyone! berry: Water retention sucks! I've been terrible about getting fluids the last couple of days combined with eating outside food (even though it's been within calories)so the scale has shot up. Good thing being that my upward bounces are now around 156 instead of 162 which is definite plus! Eeek about 8-hour sock lines though! :o I hope you've whooshed some of that water away now.

Steph and Kate: Can I join the club of dining-related scale bounces and confess my pizza consumption. I haven't weighed in yet, that will come tomorrow, but considering I worked out for the first time in 4 weeks today AND am already retaining water from slight dehydration... I'm not holding much hope.

So the pizza lunch/dinner (linner? dunch?)... it's put me at 1445 calories for the day which is 46 calories over where I wanted to be, but I still think it was worth it.

I finally went for the run today and it was BRUTAL!!! I couldn't keep to my old pace of 5.6mph after the first 10 minutes and had to slow down to 5.5mph and even 5.4mph (8.7kph) for a few minutes to catch my breath. I was coughing like a chain smoker, my nose was running, my heart rate according to my HRM was like 15 beats higher than it was on average for my last few runs four weeks ago; basically it was a mess! I guess the victory is that I finished and I finished strong, running the last 3 minutes at my goal speed of 6 mph. Plus even though I wanted to, I did not collapse on the gym floor when I'd finished my 30 minute-run. No I shakily cooled down walking at a brisk pace for 5 minutes and even did 10 minutes of the slowest elliptical ever after. Then I even walked the mile back home. #patsselfonback And THEN I collapsed and lay down on the floor and thought "OMG! What the Fries!!!" I know it's going to get better, today was just a rude awakening.

SS: 5.6 mph; CS: 5.5 mph; GS: 6.0 mph

Steph7409
10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
toasted, you deserve that pat on the back for finishing your run. Kudos to you! I'm thinking about leaving work early tomorrow to take advantage of what is forecast to be a sunny day so I can go for a walk/run. My leg is really hurting today, though, so we'll see.

I had another off plan day - bread at lunch, then a big piece of birthday cake at the office. The only good part is that I haven't eaten dinner. Back in the day, I would overeat all day and still have dinner, so I'm taking this as progress.

Kate and berry, I hope you start peeing up a storm!

kateleestar
10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
LOL, thanks Steph! I'm up again today, and I had a lower carb/lower cal day yesterday, so I have no idea whats going on. :lol:

I need to keep telling myself that I'm not as huge as I was, I look normal, I'm nearing a normal weight and things will be more difficult for me now, and that I need to just keep going and stick to things. Not to 'give in' or 'just this once'... SIGH. My goal as of right now is to stay on plan eating wise till our Halloween party on 10/27, and hopefully increase my runs. :crossed: SIGH.

And it's already friday, and were never home on the weekends, and my eating tends to SUCK on the weekends... so, God help me stay on plan this weekend. I'm trying to eat well during work today because I have no american idea what dinner will be tonight, as I'm helping BFF2 make honey lip balm for favors for BFF1's baby shower on 10/20. Sheesh. Last time she wanted pizza, and I gave in by ordering broasted chicken and picking off the skin, and eating salad, but... still. ACK!

Must keep going. I have people to shock! :lol:

toast: Pizza is so delicious, and I do the same thing. "this is within my calories" and that makes it on plan, and it's fine to eat, I'm just always so disappointed the next morning. Sigh. That's what I've been doing lately... being 100% on plan, and then still being up the next day.

Stupid water weight. BOO!

Gotta keep going. I should go walk around right now!! :D

Steph7409
10-05-2012, 06:02 PM
The sun made a brief appearance this afternoon so I sneaked out of the office and went for a jog/walk at the nearby park. I was surprised that I made it all the way around (a little less than 3 miles) mostly jogging, with only 2 brief bits of walking. My HRM told me it took 30 minutes and burned 250 calories. I did another lap, all walking, and that took me 35 minutes and burned almost 300 calories. So I walk very fast and run very slowly!

131.2 this morning. I should be able to get under 130 by the end of the month, if I don't blow it. The Papa John's I pass every day on my way home from work has been very tempting, but I haven't stopped there yet. As silly as this sounds, I learned that the owner's politics are different from mine and that helps me resist temptation! So I'm sticking with my 350 calorie Celeste mini pizzas for now.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and has some time to relax.

Steph7409
10-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I hope everyone did better this weekend that I did. My only exercise was a 40 minute jog and I ate way too much Moose Munch. So I'm back up near 132. Drat!

brittlbrattl
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Diet fatigue! Yes! I have that! I lost my first 70 pounds really quickly bus since then it's been kind of slow going. Really slow this last month and a half or so. But I'm really ready to try to get motivated to get the rest off now so I can run farther and faster. I feel like these extra 20 pounds or so (maybe? no clue) are really holding me back that way. It's hard being SO close and having come so far and yet I still feel like a fat lady because of my shape. I want it all off!

My first goal is to burn these 4 pounds I have left in the 60's and to ramp up my exercise outside of running.

Goal til the end of the year? Well, I'll put something down but I have no idea at this point! I just don't seem to able to predict how my body will respond to my effort like I used to.

I'm excited to get to know all of you, to be a support to you and to have your support!

SW: 164
CW: 164
GW: 145

Steph7409
10-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Welcome, brittlbrattl! I've just started running recently, so I'm always curious about other people's routines. How far/long do you go? I'm working more on time than distance, because I haven't measured my two routes (one around my neighborhood, one at a nearby park). I'm up to about 40 minutes but I'm pretty slow.

toastedsmoke
10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Welcome brittibratti!!! Diet fatigue is awful! And it doesn't help that the weight seems to crawl off at this point!

steph: Well done you on the continued downward trend! You're so on top of things, I wish I was half that disciplined. Out of curiousity, what kind of HRM do you have?

Monday was a bust. It was my parents 30th Anniversary so there was that and I was probably a few hundred over maintenance. I've done pretty well with food since then though. I've not worked out since Saturday when I had a pretty great run. I need to sort my workouts out. I hope everyone is doing well and having a great week.

Week 2 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW: 153 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)- NO CHANGE

I was under 1400 calories 4 times this week- OK!

I had ONE maintenance calorie days this week- SIGH, BUT OK!

I worked out 2 times this week- SIGH, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

SS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) CS: 5.5 mph (8.9 kph) GS: 6 mph (9.7 kph)

Steph7409
10-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Oh, toasted, I am far from on top of things this week. I haven't been good about tracking my calories and have been eating far too much junk food. I had a small victory over myself today - I went to Chili's for lunch and chose a "lighter" meal than I would have liked (I love their crispy chicken tacos but they're something like 1200 calories). So I shall cling to that minor win.

My HRM is a Polar, a pretty basic one, but it works well. It's got the chest strap and you can enter your stats, so I think the calorie count is pretty accurate.

Congrats to your parents on 30 years!

kateleestar
10-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes, congrats to them, toasted! That's awesome. :D

And, I'm still here. Plugging away. I'm down 4.2lbs since 10/1, but I've been the same weight (+ or - .2oz every day) since last thursday... weird. But whatever, I'll take that over a gain! ;)

Mucho-busy-weekends have kicked off at my house. I have FOUR cupcake orders this weekend, whoo-boy. Making tons of frosting tonight, God give me stregnth, lol. I can leave cake, but... ooo, buttercream. :lol:

Must...keep...going! :crossed:

Have a good on plan thursday, ladies! And it seems we all need to remember to WORK OUT! :D

toastedsmoke
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
kate: I hope your cupcake orders went well. You're amazing to resist that temptation. I baked a cake on Friday and it's been munch and nibble fest ever since. #lesigh

steph: Congrats on making a good decision at Chilis. It's the small victories that count, really!

Thanks for the parental congrats! I'm super proud of and stoked for them and wish 30+ more amazing years. Plan wise, this week was kind of a mixed bag for me. I didn't hit most of my weekly goal milestones. But I do know that I can run 30 minutes at my year-end target speed. Weight-wise, I'll wait till tomorrow to do a proper weigh in and update that, but as of yesterday, I was 1 lb above the last two weeks at 154 lbs. It's fine though... My upward bounces are still 156 or lower which is good... I'm just going through a "meh" period about everything as the year comes to a close, I guess.

Here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy and successful week ahead!

Week 3 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 154: GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)-

I was under 1400 calories 4 times this week- OK!

I had TWO maintenance calorie days this week- NOT GOOD!

I worked out 2 times this week- SIGH, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

SS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) CS: 6 mph (9.7 kph) GS: 6 mph (9.7 kph)- Good, but not yet sure how replicable it is.

Steph7409
10-14-2012, 09:39 PM
kate, I hope your cupcakes turned out well. I'm more of a cookie baker. I tried a new recipe this weekend, nothing special - oatmeal chocolate chip - but they were good. And soft, which doesn't always happen for me. A friend and I have an ongoing quest to make the perfectly soft chocolate chip cookie.

toasted, I'm doing the math here - 10 minute miles? I think I'm "running" 12 minute miles (I walk almost as fast!) and can't really imagine how to go faster. I assume it's like everything else, i.e. that you just have to get fitter and keep pushing yourself. My heart rate gets pretty high when I run (a bit out of my target zone) so I think I need to get fitter before trying to go faster. Or maybe that's just an excuse!

I hope everyone has a good week. And where is Berry?

toastedsmoke
10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
steph and kate: I'm not the world's best baker in general although I like the idea of trying. I was a biochem/molecular biology major undergrad so baking should be right up my alley with following instructions and measurements but somehow I'm really bad at it. It doesn't stop me though. Everything is delicious and gets eaten, it just never the right look or the exact consistency it should be (cupcake discs, sunken cakes, cakes that break in half as they bake, crispy crust cakes, unintentional flat bread, bread pudding fudge), you name it and I've done it. I'm better at cooking where I think there's a bigger margin of error.

steph: Just a couple of months ago, I didn't know I could do a 12-minute mile. I set this challenge 3 weeks ago thinking a 10-minute mile would be a "reach" goal. I can't believe I can do it already. I consider myself a plodder. And when I run, my heart rate gets pretty high too especially at least for the last 5 minutes of my run when I tend to pick up the pace a little as if I'm in a race (usually ~7.5mph). I always slow down or start walking if I feel really uncomfortable or start getting a stitch and I also find it REALLY helps to try to take deep belly breaths for as long as I can; panting or quick breathing is usually a sign the run isn't going to last long or go far... I think my new goal will be to get comfortable at this new speed and see if I can up it. I think it definitely helps to get fitter before getting faster. I typically don't try to go faster until I'm comfortable at my current speed.

I weighed in today and yup, I'm definitely solidly at 154 lbs, which I suppose should be disappointing but is actually not. It's a little strange stepping on the scale these days, seeing a number I don't like and not feeling like "Tragedy! Woe is me!" It was more like "Ah well, must do better this week." Who am I now, and what did I do with my old scale-obsessed self?!

I hope everyone is having a great start to the week!

Steph7409
10-16-2012, 09:16 PM
toasted, thanks for your insights on running. I'm not sure how much progress I'll make in the next month or so, before winter gets here, especially since I can run only on the weekends (it gets dark so early now!). But I'm hoping to do enough to be ready for next spring.

I'm still hanging about at 131-ish. I'm really unhappy with my eating. I've been eating too much granola for breakfast because I just want to munch munch munch, and then I feel stuffed and mad at myself. I just have to stop it. it's so simple! ;)

kateleestar
10-17-2012, 08:22 AM
kate, And soft, which doesn't always happen for me. A friend and I have an ongoing quest to make the perfectly soft chocolate chip cookie.

Use more brown sugar than white sugar, it'll make them soft. I always use the brown amt that's called for, and then 1/3 less of the white and sub in brown for the other 1/3. It helps. :)

And the cupcake orders were a success! Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! :D

toasted Baking to me is less about measuring, and more about practice. The more I do it, the less I measure - I eyeball now - and I haven't had flat cupcakes in ages, lol. Also? The age of your baking powder and baking soda has a lot to do with things falling. :)

....berry?

As for me, after spotting for a week I finally stopped my BCP. I think it's time I just go off of it, lose the weight, and regulate my cycle so I can tell when my TOM actually is and not when seasonique tells it to be, so when we try for a kid come Feb/March, I'll be prepared. Because I'm doing all those nutso things to have a girl, LOL. I tend to lose faster without the bcp holding me back, and I haven't weighed in since like, Monday morning. I was on the flow-from-hecks, and I didn't bother to see that horriffic number, :lol: . Our 4th anny is this week, and my BFF's baby shower, and my nephews 6th birthday party, and were going to Melt (http://meltbarandgrilled.com/) on Saturday night to celebrate the anniversary... So, off plan, LOL. But, its our potential last anny before I'm (hopefully?) prego on our 5th, so... might as well.

My workouts are good, and once I get past the no-time-to-make-dinner/no-time-to-eat randomness that is my life right now, I should be good to go. I know how to do this, I'm just not ALL THE WAY there yet. LOL.

Sigh.

Have a good day ladies! :D

toastedsmoke
10-17-2012, 05:43 PM
steph: I sympathize about the stagnant weight. I'm going through the same right now, but at least better than a gain, I guess. I'm the same with (eating a little more than I should of) breakfast cereal except my poison of choice is cornflakes!

kate: I'll definitely check out the age of my baking powder and soda. Congrats on your 4th Anniversary! This seems like a major week of celebration for you. Hurray for fun times!!! I'm envious about Melt, I haven't had a great cheesy goodness sandwich since my undergrad days in New England. I've tried to recreate them at home, but it's not the same. Enjoy it!

I just wanted to check in and say things are going okay this week. I had a pretty good run today again at my 6mph target speed so I'm excited about that. I'm still kind of feeling "meh" about life in general, but I'm keeping on keeping on and trying not to let the rut extend to other things.

I hope everyone is having a great week!

Steph7409
10-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Why do I suddenly want a grilled cheese sandwich? :D I occasionally make them on my griddle and, dang, they're good.

kate, it sounds like you have some fun stuff coming up. Enjoy! And happy anniversary!

toasted, I hear you on the "meh" but exercise always feels good to me. I'm glad about that; I think it keeps me from wallowing too much.

I got a new kitchen gadget today - a mini pie crust cutter and crimper. I'm having a luncheon next weekend and am going to try making a new recipe, wee pies with sausage, cheese and sliced apples. I'm even going to make my own pie crust!

Which reminds me - must get new baking soda and baking powder.

toastedsmoke
10-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Steph: Yum! Sausage and cheese pie! Although really my favourite part of pie is the crust, I can take or leave the filling. #carbaholic Exercise definitely helps with the wallowing, it's the time I feel most like I'm taking myself in hand and moving forward with some life goals! Who knew, I'd ever be one of life's exercise enthusiasts?!?

Today is a better day. I'm kind of in "I-am-who-I-am," self-acceptance mode. And I'm determined to push forward till I find my exact purpose. I think the whole feeling "meh" comes from comparing myself and my progress with everything to everyone else's and losing sight of the fact that I'm not anyone else and don't have to be and that my own journey and path and ideas are unique and no less valid than anyone else's. #sigh I just have to stop with the comparisons and keep reminding myself of these things.

Anyway, so I've been meaning to experiment with making brownies for the past couple of weeks and with all the baking going around I'm inspired. Last time I made brownies, I replaced most of the fat with prune baby food and it came out alright, a little too fudgy and unset for my taste but otherwise fine. Any suggestions on making slightly more guilt-free brownies or should I just not mess with a good thing?

No real plans to exercise tonight but I just re-batteried my wii balance board weekend and my wii-motes so I might crank our my step riser and do a little Wii Step as I watch a couple of episodes of Modern Family tonight to wind down. It's not the hardest of workouts but better than lolling about watching Modern Family as I otherwise have planned.

Wishing everyone an amazing Thursday!

Steph7409
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh, I love Modern Family. I'm so glad Julie Bowen won the Emmy. Her expressions while she's on the couch with Phil, as he's going on and on about some wacky thing, are just wonderful. She's the perfect foil for him.

As for your brownies: did you try chilling them? That makes them a bit firmer. I don't ever try to reduce fat or sugar, though. I prefer full on indulgence.

It's a sunny day here so I'm skipping out of work early to go for a jog. I'm going to go to the bike trail along the Hudson River, since it starts fairly near my house (although I have to drive, since the neighborhood is industrial/sketchy). I think there are mile markers there, too, so I can check my time.

Self-acceptance has always been hard for me, too. Even now, at my advanced age, I struggle with it. It was liberating for me to realize I could lose weight without solving all my problems!

toastedsmoke
10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Julie Bowen is my favourite too!!! I like Sofia Vergara too but Julie Bowen's face, I agree, is priceless!!!

I too kind of thought all my issues would be solved by weight loss and whilst yes, I feel a little more confident with my appearance, nothing else has really changed at all. I'm still the same person, I didn't suddenly get showered with fairy dust and have my life become perfect like I thought it would. Now I'm wondering why I thought it would happen like that?! It doesn't even make sense, although it did at my highest weight. I agree that it IS liberating in a sense to know that it wasn't my weight holding me back for years, it was myself. I am who I am.

I'll try chilling the brownies and see if that helps, otherwise I'll just make a regular batch on Sunday. I'm soooo ready for this weekend! I got home sooo late last night that I ended up not even watching tv at all or cranking up the Wii. I kind of crawled into bed and crashed. Today is looking like another late night although I remain hopeful. Like I said, I'm really looking forward to this weekend!

Steph7409
10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
"What's the plan, Phil" is one of my favorite lines ever from a TV show.

I took today off from exercising (my leg is still complaining about the run/walk yesterday) so I'll need to get some activity in. I've got errands to run and chores to do but I shan't let that deter me. And I'd like to cut down on the snacks so I can have a tasty meal of some sort. I'm thinking pan-fried chicken in panko bread crumbs dipped in honey mustard.

I hope you get some rest this weekend, toasted!

toastedsmoke
10-21-2012, 05:32 AM
steph: Your dinner sounds absolutely yum! I did manage to get a little rest this weekend, thanks. I hope you also were able to accomplish the errands AND getting the activity in like you wanted. Maybe give your body time to heal if it needs it, though. I finally did settle down to a Modern Family marathon although I didn't take the workout opportunity, well unless laughing till you can't breathe qualifies as some sort of ab workout.

Plan-wise, this week has been pretty bad, even though not according to the scale as I'm down to a new low of 152 (well 152.3 by my scale and 151.7 by my Wii's scale). It's so strange. I've not hit ANY of my weekly targets for what I consider "on planned-ness" and yet the scale has cooperated. Go figure! I knew that scales were nuts.

I hope everyone is having a great and relaxing weekend and wishing everyone a great week ahead.

Steph7409
10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I've had a bad weekend. The weather was beautiful yesterday so I went to the park for a jog/walk and made it around only once, jogging only about half of that. My leg hurt in new places as well as the old places. :mad:

So I came home and went on a carb binge because that always helps. UGH. Now I'm back up to 133 and feeling crappy about myself. I did a little better food-wise today but didn't exercise, in the hopes that some rest will help. At the risk of being Whiney McWhinerson here, this thing with my leg really gets me down. I can't sleep through the night when it's bad, even if I take pain meds before bed. I do my stretches almost every day but don't seem to be making a lot of progress. Poor, poor pitiful me!

My goal for this week is to stop feeling sorry for myself and trying to make myself feel better by overeating. I can still exercise and eat better, even if my leg hurts. Quitting would be crazy!

/end rant

toasted, congrats on the new low! That's surely the result of your accumulated efforts.

threekidsandasheltie
10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I am so excited to find this thread. I am closing in on my orginal goal of 130, but plan on trying to get down to 115-120 when it is all said and done.
I am just keeping on, my weight loss has slowed way down but it is still slowly moving in the downward direction.

Anyone else a low carber?

toastedsmoke
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
threekids: Welcome and congrats on being so close to your original goal!!! It sucks how much the weight loss slows near the end like this but it certainly sucks less than being right back near the start of the journey! :) I'm a calorie counter who loses best on low carb but I've never had the discipline to stick to it so I've just stuck to calorie counting through my journey. Are you on any of the specific low carb plans? Which one?

steph: Sorry about your leg. :( Maybe you should rest it a little bit more and stick to light exercise for a little bit till it feels a bit better. I'm sure the weather change to colder weather probably makes every ache and pain even worse. Take care of it okay? Sorry. On the bright side, you caught on that the binge helped nothing and reigned it in pretty quick so I'd consider that a win. I had a huge binge on Sunday for no particular reason other than maybe to celebrate my new low weight? Who knows what my mouth was thinking, my mind certainly wasn't part of the process! It's over now today and I'm right back on plan and that's the important thing, I think.

As I said, this weekend wasn't all that it could be in terms of staying on plan. In fact last week wasn't great at all plan-wise. But the good thing is that this week is a new opportunity for making better decisions. I'm already looking forward to turning Sunday's unfortunate binge around. The power to succeed is in my hands and I'm determined.

Here's hoping everyone has had an excellent start to the week and wishing everyone health, wealth and success this week!

Week 4 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 152 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)-

I was under 1400 calories only 3 times this week- NOT GOOD!

I had ONE maintenance calorie days and ONE above maintenance this week- BAD!!!

I worked out 1 time this week- BAD!

SS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) CS: 6 mph (9.7 kph) GS: 6 mph (9.7 kph)- Good enough

Steph7409
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
threekids, I'm like toasted - a calorie counter who knows she should eat fewer carbs. But, oh, I love the carbs. (BTW, I love Shelties. Such smart dogs.)

My eventual goal is a bit lower than the 125 I show but, sheesh, I just don't know if I can get there. Then again, trying doesn't hurt (too much) and I'm in no hurry (mostly).

This stupid thing with my leg is all about my chronically tight/strained muscles in my left thigh. I wish there was some sort of machine that could just stretch them out for once and all! I can deal with the tightness but, sometimes, the pain flows down the front of my leg and that's when I can't walk/run/sleep. I'm going to get back to my Pilates and hope that helps.

I had a Caesar salad and bread for lunch today and am stuffed, which I'm glad about as I was starting to think I'd lost my ability to feel full.

Let's make it a great week!

toastedsmoke
10-24-2012, 09:46 AM
steph: What's your ultimate goal after 125, if you don't mind sharing of course? I hope Pilates works and gives you a little relief. Do you do any PT for it though, since it's a chronic thing? Sorry about that. Feel better. I also get what you mean about losing your ability to get full somedays, I really wonder myself if I still have that ability!

Things are going well so far this week diet-wise. Still not yet figured out getting the exercise in, but tomorrow and Friday are public holidays (important Islamic feast of Eid-el-Kabir) so I should have plenty of time to get my workout on with the long weekend coming up.

I hope everyone is doing great!

kateleestar
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi threekids! I'm also a calorie counter that should eat lower carb, lol, but.. well, I'm italian. Its hard for me to only eat pasta once a week, having it 3 and 4 times a week as a kid. Sigh.... noodles..

WOAH. Where was I? LOL.

steph: Your knee might be telling you to slow down. Maybe some cardio - in other ways, like punches and even elliptical?

toast: I so long for a long weekend! It would come in SO HANDY right now, lol. Who knew October would be our busiest month? :)

Okay, so here I am. I read all I missed, and I can't for the life of me believe I haven't had time to be on here since LAST WEDNESDAY! Lordy. Life is SO nuts right now. We decided to not sell the house, so were going to do some fix-up type stuff to make us more happy with it. We just can't get out of it what we need to right now. BOO. But oh well, such is life! AND, we also decided we will be going ahead with the baby-trying-for in late Feb/early March (hoping for a December baby!) and that's super exciting.

Weight has stayed between 180 and 183 this week, bouncing ALL OVER THE PLACE for no good reason. Yesterday was the first time I had to workout since like, monday 10/15. SHEESH. This week is just as crazy as last, and next will be even worse. After 11/4, I'm hoping to return to normal. :crossed:

I'm thinking I'm going to keep going, eating as sensibly as I can for the next almost two weeks, and not beat myself up because I can't workout. I don't have time to make dinner, let alone run and elliptical for an hour. Boohiss. lol. I have to keep telling myself that last halloween I was at 225 or some crazyness and I'm SO MUCH less than that now, I look and feel 100% better and whew. I'm just tired thinking of all I have to do. Ugh. Amish country and halloween party on Saturday, big church meeting on sunday, work M-F next week and dad-surprise-party stuff every night next week, including making fudge, cake, oreo pops, cupcakes, riggatoni for 75+... its nuts. And trying to keep it from my dad, who is my only parent, is like... WAY harder than I thought. :lol:

Gotta keep going. I think I'll let all this pass, and when I have my days back to make my healthy dinners and workout after work, I'll be so happy... yey. Counting down the days till 11/4! :D

I also decided that as long as I'm 165/160 by 3/1/13, I'm good. I don't have the time right not to focus on my weight loss, unfortunately, and I want to be at that weight pre-kid, so I can selfishly take side bump-growing-pics, LOL. So.. I'm gonna have like, 4 months. I lose about 5/7 lbs a month. I can do that.. just not this week. :lol:

CRAZY TODAY. :dizzy:

Steph7409
10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey, kate, welcome back! It sounds like you've got a crazy amount of stuff going on. What kinds of work are you going to do on your house? Now that I've got the bathroom done, I'm down to my kitchen. It's fine, but I'd love new cabinets and countertops. But I can't really justify the expense, so I'll probably just repaint the cabinets next summer.

I think your plan of eating sensibly and doing the best you can while your life is so busy is a good one. Like we always say to each other around here, this isn't a race. We're all much better off than we were a year ago so there's no reason to set unrealistic goals. (How many pounds of rigatoni do you need for 75 people??)

toasted, how nice to have a long weekend! Especially since you've been working so hard. I hope you enjoy it.

I've been doing okay, although I'm still over 132. My leg feels a little better (I'm limiting my weight training to upper body only for a while) so I've been using my bike and mini stepper. It's just irritating that the pain comes and goes without any reason I can figure out, so I think I make it worse sometimes without knowing it.

Wishing us all the strength to maintain a positive attitude!

kateleestar
10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey, kate, welcome back! It sounds like you've got a crazy amount of stuff going on. What kinds of work are you going to do on your house? Now that I've got the bathroom done, I'm down to my kitchen. It's fine, but I'd love new cabinets and countertops. But I can't really justify the expense, so I'll probably just repaint the cabinets next summer.

I think your plan of eating sensibly and doing the best you can while your life is so busy is a good one. Like we always say to each other around here, this isn't a race. We're all much better off than we were a year ago so there's no reason to set unrealistic goals. (How many pounds of rigatoni do you need for 75 people??)

Thanks! We already did the kitchen... Let me see if I can put a before and after up, lol. Photobucket is down, or something. But I'll put them up asap! :)

It was builder grade stuff, and I'm way too cheap to pay a lot. The house was built in 2000, and with it only be 12 years old I can't justify to myself throwing away something that is FINE, lol. So, I sanded and primed the cabinets and then DH and my Dad painted them with a sprayer. My DH's bff is a contractor, so him and his wife came over one saturday and we did a tile backsplash and put up over/under cabinet lighting. He also added crown molding to the top of all of the cabinets. I painted the cabinets an off-ish white/cream, and the wall is a golden tone in the same family. The accents are dark red/red and aqua, with an italian-y feel, old world even. :)

Darn photobucket. LOL.

And we want to do the bathroom next. And then maybe new carpet!

The bathroom needs to be done before potential-baby, though. I hate the plastic tub surrounds. I want some tile! :D

And yes, GO US! GO POSITIVE THOUGHTS! We can do this, it isnt a race, we are the only winner and we have no one to beat!!

:carrot:

ETA: Okay, its back. LOL.

Old kitchen:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg304/kateleestar/453BFACA-37B2-4D1B-B0A8-5A95FFE8D12F-25430-000007218CC06403.jpg

"New" kitchen:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg304/kateleestar/189DB4E5-CAF9-4D7B-9A19-940A48646FFD-25430-0000072192108BF6.jpg

Pardon the sucky old cell pics, we redid it in 2010. It's SO much nicer to cook in and I feel less angry about cooking, LOL. And that microwave died at only 13 months old, boo. Don't buy a Samsung, they are no help, lol. But every thing else is the same. I've also added bronze handles to the cabinets, it looks swanky! :lol:

toastedsmoke
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Kate: Your kitchen is lovely! Don't even get me started on Samsung!!! Grrrr!!! It seems like life has been hectic for you recently between major decision-making, work and everything else. Congrats on getting the major decisions out of the way. Leaving things unsettled is always unnecessarily stressful! And I think doing your best and taking a possible maintenance break and not stressing too much about weight loss during an otherwise stressful period sounds like an awesome idea!

Steph: I'm glad your leg feels better!

Steph and Kate: I'm in awe of you guys and your DIY projects. I can do the basics like change a bulb and unplug the toilet but I'm pretty hopeless at everything else. But I think that's a "my family" thing as well. My dad is pretty hopeless as well but he has an amazing address book of every kind of workman possible who responds fast and works at a good price. So I'm amazed by regular people who do an awesome job doing their own tiling, painting, flooring etc.

I'm looking forward to this long weekend although I just went food and wine shopping because... nothing says celebration and holiday like food! Sadly, I'm not even being sarcastic with that last comment. It's true. I'll do my best to make good decisions. Positive thinking is an idea I can definitely get behind! This is NOT a race.

Steph7409
10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Kate, your kitchen looks fab! Nice job. I helped a friend tile her backsplash but haven't gotten around to doing mine. And, for my bathroom reno, I decided against tile for a couple of reasons: cost and time. I have just the one shower and didn't want to have to go without it for more than a couple of days. The plastic surround I got is much nicer than I expected it to be, but it's not as pretty as tile. I'll attach pics.

toasted, I would love to hire people to work on my house but it's hard to find anyone affordable and trustworthy. The guy who did my bathroom is the husband of a former co-worker - a great guy, but a little pricey. But he did a terrific job and I could trust him to not let my cats out (a big plus!).

Oh, and I forgot to answer your question about my ultimate goal: I think I'd need to get down to 120 to be on the thin side of normal. I don't know if I'll ever get there or if I could stay there, though.

For the moment, I'm just trying not to freak out. I had my mammo on Monday and got the dreaded call today: come back for more pictures and maybe an ultrasound. I know it doesn't mean the big C but ACK. I had to go grocery shopping after work and bought some lemon Oreos. I came home, scarfed down 3, then crushed the rest to give to the squirrels tomorrow. That was all the panic I'm going to allow myself, for today at least.

toastedsmoke
10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
steph: I hope everything goes well with your health! It's awesome that even with that stress, you were still able to make a good decision regarding the Oreos; I doubt I could've been that strong. You are doing what you can for your health right now and that's inspiring. Try not to borrow any trouble and to stay positive. You're in my thoughts and prayers definitely. (Even though this seems trivial now, I think your bathroom is awesome. It's like classic French country bathroom or something. It's great. Good job with that.)

Today is going alright so far although I've eaten half my calories for the day post-brunch, whereas I like to save 3/4 of them for dinner. Grrr!!! It's been very chill and a little munchy. I could have done a little more catching up with work but meh... I'm heading over to the gym in half an hour which strangely enough, I'm looking forward to, although I always have that fear before I get there that I've only imagined being fit and I'm going to go there and tank my workout.

kateleestar
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Steph: See, thats a nice surround. Mine is like... almond. Or.. beige? Its not even a real color! It's... oddly shaped too and doesn't seem to want to fit inside the bathroom, LOL. It like... it sucks.. Like they got it for free or something, lol. I hate it so much. But with DH's bff being a contractor, he is like the VP of a plumbing/remodel co here, I can use his discount to get plumbing stuff. So I'm gonna do that, and go to this like.. overstock home remodeling store we have, and maybe shop at the ReStore we have too.

Whats worse is, they picked the almond surround and then put in like, a blue and pink little flowered laminate floor and a gray laminate counter top. It's like.. someone threw up in my bathroom! Shudder!

Your bathroom looks FABOO. I want beadboard in the worst way. I want my house to be an awesome old house, or at least look like it. My dad's house is from like, 1918 and its got all that WIDE wood baseboards and door frames and our house, while nice, has pressed crap and I hate it, lol. And we only have the one full bath, but I think I'll go a day or two with showering at my dads house (he's like a mile away) and save up for the tile. I can't stand it. I've never had tile in my life! :lol:

And toast, I hear ya on the DIY. I was an only kid, and my mom was so sick and my dad was working so much to support her/us, that we also had that handyman that we could call to fix stuff, but it also meant that I had to figure out how to do a lot of random crap when I was little, LOL. Such a weird life I have.. lol.

And being cheap helps. I figure if I can google it, and figure it out, I can do it. Now a days, its just finding the time. TIME. :rofl:

And thanks for the kind words, ladies. I don't know what to do with myself I'm so busy! BOO! Tonight I'm resorting to the crock pot so we can actually HAVE a homemade meal instead of ordering something or getting subway, lol. So sad. And I can't tell my dad anything! This is so hard, lol.. It's like hes my mom and my dad sometimes.. sigh.

kateleestar
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
And steph? Oreos are my LOVE and my downfall! LOL. Sigh... I envy your willpower. 'Specially in that situation. I'm sending up prayers for you! I'm sure everything will be okay! And just think, what if they hadn't seen it before, because of all the extra weight? What if you SAVED yourself?! And? My bff's mom had that same call, and it was just a fatty pocket or some crap....

Oh, oreos...

..she said before she went to make 100 'mummy' oreo pops. :lol:

Steph7409
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words, chicks. My doctor called to make sure I had scheduled the re-do and said there's a "suggestion" of some density but no other bad signs, so I'm hopeful it wil be okay. There's some history in my family (my mom died very young of breast cancer) so I get anxious. But early detection is key, and I'm glad my overall health is much improved since a year ago.

The squirrels really enjoyed the lemon Oreos. I think they were gone in 15 minutes.

Tonight, I'm making two different kinds of cookies. Every year, our 2-man IT team does a big overnight update and I always leave them cookies because a) they're both great guys and I love them and b) it's good to suck up to the IT guys. So I'm going to have to flex my resistance muscle quite a bit! Plus I can't exercise because my hall is being tiled, making my living room inaccessible. Bad combination. :D

sevencallmemom
10-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey guys! I weighed in at 177 this morning, which is closer to 30 pounds from goal, but I'm gonna hop in here anyways if that's ok? Didn't see a 170's thread that was active...

toastedsmoke
10-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi seven, welcome! You can definitely jump in. Congrats on being so close to goal and on all your achievements so far. I bet you can identify with a little of the diet fatigue and struggles pushing on we all go through in this group as we push towards those final few pounds to goal. We also have a bit of a year-end challenge going. It doesn't have to be a weight loss challenge or anything although I think we all have a year-end number we'd like to be at. It could be fitness-related like working out a specific number of times a week till the end of the year or eating within a specific amount of calories a specific number of times a week etc. I mean it's just a little extra motivation to keep going till the end of the year.

kate: how did the oreo pops go?

steph: I had serious health issues earlier this year and my doctor was like I mostly came through it alright because I was in such good shape. So you're soooo right when you say being in good overall health is always a good thing. How did the cookie-baking resistance test go?

Yesterday, I ended up not going running. My dad was around and whilst he's not drastically overweight, maybe 20-30 lbs over (being overweight for the first time in his life) his blood pressure and cholesterol numbers are slightly up so he wants to start walking as a way to exercise. I suggested we go for a walk instead because I'd much rather my whole family was fit than I alone. It wasn't much of a workout for me, but it was something AND I had a great time chatting and joking with him. Besides, I got my run in today.

So I finally baked my "healthy" brownies today. They were not inedible, but they were a little leathery so maybe that's a "too little fat" issue or maybe because I added grated beetroot to them to sneak in a little antioxidant factor which kind of turned them into red velvet brownies but ah well. Lessons were learned for next time. I'm saving them for TOM when I have chocolate cravings. They're nice enough that I will eat them and think I'm eating a real brownie, but not quite nice enough that I want to eat more than one, so it's the perfect formula. ;)

sevencallmemom
10-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Good for you for going walking with your dad. I've been walking with my DH and sometimes the kids take turns coming with me. I never seem to get as much running in when they come along, but they are really trying and improving and I enjoy the time with them whether we walk or run.

I had set a goal about 9 weeks ago to put a thousand miles on my sneakers by Jan 1. I'm 419 miles in, but I know that I'm not going to make it by then. I've been pushing too hard for too long, so I'm slowing down and taking better care of myself. I'll get the thousand miles in by Feb and that's good enough. :)

Hmmm...my weight has been stuck since April up until this week and I'm motivated to keep it up. I'll aim for 160 by New Years. That's 9ish weeks and 17 pounds away.

sevencallmemom
10-27-2012, 10:58 AM
174.8 this morning. Wow. I've been stalled out for 6 months and all of a sudden it's dropping off like crazy this week. I'm so grateful!

toastedsmoke
10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey seven: I know all about the long plateaus that I like to call unplanned maintenance breaks. I stayed within 5 lbs of 180 lbs for 11 months from March 2011 till February this year. It sucked. We've discussed that a little here and I think part of the problem is that we get to a point when we get a little satisfied with our progress subconsciously and begin to slip in little ways and the lighter we get, these slips have more of an impact.... or something. Anyway WOW about your running distance! 419 miles in 9 weeks is like AMAZING. That's like more than 45 miles a week!!!! :O :O :O (green with envy!) You're a lean mean running machine! :) Also Yay about this week's scale victories! :carrot: :carrot:

I got my third workout in this week for the FIRST time since I set that goal. What a pity it's not looking like I'll meet my calorie-related goal. It's fine though. I'm still hoping 7 lbs by December 22nd is a go. How's everyone's weekend going? It's TOM for me so I'm up a pound to 153 lbs but I don't know these days I seem to have lost my "scale crazy." The number is what it is; the best I can do is make the best decisions I can.

Steph7409
10-27-2012, 05:56 PM
seven, welcome! Congrats on your losses, both recent and cumulative. Very impressive. (Oh, and I now have that song stuck in my head - Oklahoma is one of my favorite musicals!)

As toasted said, this little group is for those of us who have been at it for a while. It does get tiring. My biggest problem these days is complacency. I can maintain at this weight pretty easily, I've got a closet full of new clothes, I'm old enough (54) that I've got no illusions of having thin arms or a flat stomach - so why keep struggling to lose a few more pounds?

Especially since, again as toasted said, the margins are so small now. Last holiday season, I did a lot of baking and could indulge a fair amount since I weighed quite a bit more than I do now. This year, I'm going to have to make some major adjustments. I was only moderately successful in resisting the cookies I made the other night. But I didn't eat a dozen, as I used to do routinely, so that's progress.

More progress: I had people over for lunch today and, instead of eating all the leftovers once they'd left, I went for a run instead. I really should go toss the leftover bread outside for the squirrels!

sevencallmemom
10-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Steph, that song is ALWAYS in my head, that's why I put it like that. LOL I'm a bit of a musical junkie. :D

I have no illusions for a flat tummy or nice arms either at this point. The excess skin is...oh my word. I let the fear of that hold me back for so long, and it turns out it's worse than I imagined it would be, but I'm ok with it because my life is so drastically improved.

But then there are times, like tomorrow AM where I have to have pictures taken in tiny shorts and sports bra as the "before" for the bootcamp class I'm starting, that I'm pretty horrified. Mostly because I've seen most of the other ladies there and they are (almost) all tiny and have never been obese.

Whatever, I'm there to get strong, not impress anyone with my amazing bod.

Toasted, Way to go on getting that 3rd workout in!

I ran 5.2 miles yesterday and then walked till I hit 6 because I like even numbers for my counter. Taking today off.

Oh and holiday baking...oh my gravy. Mostly, I can bake bread and cookies and whatnot for the fam and be ok with not sharing, but once in a while they will totally rave about the bread being especially good and I end up caving and eating half a loaf.

It's bad.

(but OHHHH SOOO GOOD!)

;)

Steph7409
10-28-2012, 03:11 PM
seven, good luck with that boot camp. Try not to stress about the "before" pic - like you said, you're there to get strong!

My aching shins woke me up at 1 AM, so no running today. I got in some activity by bringing in everything from the garden and patio, since we're going to be getting some heavy winds with this monster storm. Lots of up and down the basement stairs.

My eating has really gotten off track so I'm hoping to get my act together this week.

toastedsmoke
10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
steph: You're a rockstar resisting cookies AND leftovers AND moreover going for a run instead of indulging!!! I've been bingey/munchy this TOM and I need some of that willpower! Sorry about your achy shins! I hope you're doing okay and you are safe and well with the Hurricane Sandy frankenstorm and everything. CNN is basically showing us Disaster Movie footage and it looks pretty scary.

seven: For me, I think the excess skin is neither as bad nor as good as I thought it would be. I had no expectations really and I suppose it is what it is in the end. That being said, I'm awed by your courage. I can't imagine wearing a sports bra and tiny shorts for ANYTHING! I barely like to wear a bathing suit/tankini to go swimming. How long does your bootcamp run? Good luck with it, I'm sure you're going to rock it and blow the "tinies" away! I'm terrible with freshly-baked anything so good job you mostly being able to say no to stuff! I guess ultimately life happens and we just need more good days than not.

I did alright last week overall even though I didn't hit my calorie-related goal. I got down to a new all-time low weight (152), I finally worked out 3 times in one week, I'm getting pretty comfortable at 6 mph and already beginning to look forward to my goal of doing a sub-30 min 5k by the first quarter of next year. Then TOM hit this past weekend. On the plus size, I only bounced up 1 lb to 153 which is quite alright by me. On the minus, I've been a human munchy box since then with TWO 2300 calorie days in a row (Sunday and Monday) and not a drop of exercise in sight. I've not lost hope though. I'm doing well so far today and have a run planned for tomorrow. I know I have it in me to have an on-plan day today so I'm keeping the faith. It's going to be alright.

I hope everyone is having a good and safe week! Take care everyone!

Week 5 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 153 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)-

I was under 1400 calories only 3 times this week- BAD!

I had ONE maintenance calorie days- OK.

I worked out 3 times this week- GOOD!!!

SS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) CS: 6 mph (9.7 kph) GS: 6 mph (9.7 kph)- Good!

Steph7409
10-30-2012, 09:02 PM
No ill effects from Sandy up here in Albany, much to my relief. I was worried mostly about my roof leaking but we didn't get a lot of rain. The coverage really has been overwhelming but I'm sure it saved some lives by convincing people to evacuate, etc.

My eating has not been great, but I haven't gone completely off the deep end. I'm up to 133-134 but my clothes don't feel any different. I'm trying to see this as a learning experience - my first regain. If I can get myself on plan for a few days, I know I'll feel much better. I'm floundering a bit and just need to get steady. I'm sure some of it is the low-level anxiety about my mammo redo on Thursday and some other, more general anxiety (the presidential election, some restructuring going on at work, a friend owes me money - you know, life!). It's easy to fall into the old habit of smothering my anxiety with food.

On the plus side, this week marks the one year anniversary of my rescuing my cutie pie cat Sadie. I just adore her and she's been a good addition to the herd.

toastedsmoke
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
steph: I'm glad you're safe. I can imagine you're anxious about the mammo and the other life issues you mentioned. I most definitely do NOT miss election season in the States- never the most congenial period of the year! But in a week, it will be over and what will be will be irrespective of whether one stresses about it or not. I'm struggling with overeating too. It's not wonderful. I did okay Tuesday though. Congrats on the 1-yr anniversary of your cat! Take care of yourself and know you're definitely in my thoughts and prayers for Thursday.

toastedsmoke
11-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone, it's been a little quiet here but I'll do a little update just to push our thread to front page. How was Halloween for you guys? It's not really a big thing here (except for Catholics who might go to mass) so it's pretty easy to stay away from temptation. Did you guys dress up? Trick or treat? Hand out candy? My roommate in college in the States was Halloween obsessed and would go out of control with decorating (cardboard tombstones, fake cobwebs, mummies, the works) in and outside our dorm room. I missed out on all the other Halloween-y stuff though... Although of course not the discounted Halloween candy on November 1. I always cleaned out then.

This has been a pretty rough TOM for me and I've been feeling really munchy and bingey. I've not been eating below my 1400 calorie target and have been more in the 1600 range but I'm still counting, it's not horrible, and I'll take it. I went for a run yesterday and it was pretty terrible. I forgot the watch of my heart rate monitor so I felt pretty "off" already and then I just couldn't get into my zone and it was a push to not give up and just finish. I'm not sure what was up with that but my next run is scheduled for tomorrow so hopefully whatever was up, is sorted by then. Because yesterday was definitely more: "I hate exercise" than "oh the joy of movement."

I hope you all are doing well this week.

Steph: Wishing you luck and praying that everything goes well with the mammogram today.

Seven: How's bootcamp so far?

Kate: how is the madness of this week going? I hope you're getting a little time to stop and at least breathe a little.

Steph7409
11-01-2012, 04:23 PM
toasted, thanks for thinking of me. It turned out well, though it was nerve-wracking - waited half an hour for the 3-D mammo, then another 45 minutes for the ultrasound. AARGH. But I got the all clear, so it's all good!

Now I have to get back on plan and stay there for more than a minute. I'm back up over 135 so I need to get serious if I'm going to get under 130 by the end of the year.

Dumplin
11-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey I am in got 20 lbs to lose before the new year ! Gonna work my butt off trying to lose it ! LOL I for sure want to try a lot harder . Thanks for the challenge . This is so me toooo !!!

toastedsmoke
11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
steph: I'm glad you're fine! Yay!!!! I'm sure some of that 135+ is stress, water and plain ol' scale meaness. You'll be back on track before you know it.

Dumplin: Hello! Welcome and congrats on making it this far! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: 20 lbs before the new year, eh? I'm sure you'll rock it! You can do it!!! Let's go!

Today was okay. I was more or less within calories. I'm still going through a munchy phase but at least I managed to stay on plan although mostly because I don't eat after midnight and I got home too late to do any real damage. It's just gone past 3 am and I could definitely eat. #lesigh I'm not sure what's up with me but here's hoping it will pass. I haven't dared step on the scale since this weekend but I'm thinking tomorrow might be the day to see where I am... just for kicks. I might as well take advantage of my newfound scale zen attitude.

Wishing everyone a fabulous Friday!

Steph7409
11-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Back under 135 today, barely - but I'll take it!

Dumplin, welcome and good luck with your goal! Getting under 200 was a huge psychological boost for me.

My eating has been pretty good the last couple of days. I really wanted to snack last night but I rode it out and chewed some gum instead. That's the behavior that I need to re-establish if I want to lose another 10 pounds.

I am soooo glad it's Friday!

sevencallmemom
11-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I've had a crazy busy hard week.

The lady that did the pics for bootcamp was really kind and encouraging and professional. No weirdness over all my hangy-down bits and pieces. LOL

The lady that took my weight was a bit off-putting over my goal of 150. She was like, "Well that will be easy to get you to!" and I was like, "Um, I'm already down over 140, so it doesn't feel 'easy' to me." :/

Their scale said I was 180, but that was fully dressed and whatnot, so I'm not really going by that for my own tracking. The scale at home said I was like 174 at that point. That's the scale I've been using and the only one I'm going to pay any real mind to.

The class has been killer! Burpees and pushups and running (my bliss) and lunges and every ab torture imaginable, but it's really a positive atmosphere...no one ever finishes alone. If there's just a couple of stragglers out there having a hard time getting their reps done, everyone willingly gets out there and finishes it with them.

It's truly inspiring!

I haven't done much else this week till today. I put 5 miles on the treadmill, but only ran 3 of them. Did a few burpees and squats and pushups to keep working towards mastering those, but I think I pulled some muscles...also heard my left hip and right knee pop at the same time at one point...and it wasn't pleasant.

Good news is that the scale said 170.2 this morning. Blew me away!

As for Halloween...the church did a carnival thing for the community and I worked a prize table. I'm not sure I stood still for more than 20 seconds all night! It was fun.

Steph, that scale's gonna come back down...don't give it too much thought!

Toast, I love your zen attitude!

Dumplin, WELCOME! You're doing great!

toastedsmoke
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
steph: Yay on the scale cooperating and taking you back under 135 and on getting back well on plan. It's not easy but you're doing it and that's inspiring! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

seven: Wow the bootcamp sounds intense but like a really supportive environment. I hope pulled muscles and popping joints notwithstanding you're feeling great. Yay on the new low! :carrot: :carrot: Scale rewards are always great!

Yeah so I definitely needed my scale zen when I stepped on the scale on Friday morning. It was bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. I got on and it said 155 lbs. I waited for the meltdown, but felt nothing. My eating hasn't been great but it's been more "1600-1700/day vs 1400/day calories-not great" than "gain 3 lbs in 3 days-not great." So I thought of all the reasons for the possible gain and decided to let it go. I need to tighten up my plan, yes, but I also doubt I actually gained the 3 lbs. See? Scale-zen.

I'm getting better about getting my workouts in (even upped my running speed higher than 6 mph) but for some reason, I've been a little out of control with eating. None of the usual things that make me binge-y are going on so I don't know why I can't seem to stop munching on those little extras. I need to just get my head in the right place and have a little discipline. I can do it, I know.

I hope you guys are having a great weekend!

Steph7409
11-03-2012, 07:23 PM
toasted, I'm trying to be zen about the scale as well. I think we're in similar spots: we've had great success, we're feeling pretty good, we're not eating like we used to, so freaking out about the weird ups and downs isn't helpful. As long as I feel I can get back on track, I try to stay calm.

seven, your bootcamp sounds like quite an experience. I give you a lot of credit for doing that.

I was busy today helping a friend and hardly ate all day, but then came home and had pizza and popcorn. I have to remember that I'm much better off eating throughout the day, even if I'm not overly hungry. My hunger signals get easily screwed up so I end up eating way more than I should because I don't feel full even after eating too much.

I'm hoping to go for a run tomorrow. Soon, the weather is going to make it hard to go outside. I'm thinking of buying one of those folding treadmills. The friend I was with today bought one (for her dog!) and it looks like it would fit in my little house.

Steph7409
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Back down to 133 - yay!

I went for a jog yesterday and it was awful. I was cold (needed another layer for my upper body) and tired, but I dragged myself one lap around the park. I had to walk a few times but forced myself to run because I just wanted to get back to the car and the heat. There was a guy there in shorts who made me feel like a weenie.

I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.

toastedsmoke
11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
steph: I went to undergrad in New England (although I've experienced upstate New York winters and they're not for weeners!) and I remember there was always one girl who would be jogging outdoors IN SHORTS AND a HOODIE through a blizzard and everybody huddled near the heaters staring out the windows at her like she was a lunatic. Don't get me wrong, she was uber-fit, but she was CRAZY! I totally get bad runs. Sometimes they happen for no reason. Once at my gym, they were fixing the air conditioning and had the windows open and it was like 90 degrees outside with 95% humidity. I thought I would faint! I totally agree with what you said about complacency and feeling good and in control. I don't think it's a bad thing from a maintenance standpoint. It just sucks because we're trying to get that little bit lower than where we are right now. If I wanted to maintain between 150 and 155, I'd be golden. And who knows, maybe if I get to 140, I might decide, where I am now is more sustainable.

I had a pretty bad weekend. Sunday was more or less a bust. After a day of eating maintenance calories. I decided to eat a whole bar of chocolate (not a Twix, a proper block of Lindt) by myself. For no reason. I wasn't hungry (if anything I was overfull), I wasn't stressed, so really it was inexplicable. The utility I got out of it was sooo low, it was pointless. I need to stop the The positive though is that it was a definite kick in the pants for Monday and I've been on plan and pretty happy with my diet the past two days.

I know the whole world is interested in US election day today, so happy voting and may whomever wins bring happiness, peace and prosperity to all.

Week 6 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 153.5 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)-

I was under 1400 calories only 2 times this week- VERY BAD!

I had ONE MAINTENANCE calorie day and ONE OVER MAINTENANCE calorie day- VERY BAD.

I worked out 3 times this week- GOOD!!!

SS: 5.6 mph (9.0 kph) CS: 6.1 mph (9.9 kph) GS: 6 mph (9.7 kph)- Very Good!

Steph7409
11-07-2012, 08:38 AM
toasted, sorry you had a bad weekend. I too sometimes overeat seemingly for no reason, but the truth is that food is tasty and that's a reward in itself. It's not always about stress or anxiety or deep-rooted emotional problems. Sometimes we just want chocolate!

I overate yesterday just for the **** of it. I splurged on muffins for breakfast (I hadn't done that in over a year) and then there was pizza here for lunch, and I can never say no to pizza. Then I ate a huge bowl of granola while watching the election coverage (I know we're not supposed to talk politics, but - yay!!). I stayed up until almost 3 AM so I'm tired today and will have to try not to go crazy with the carbs. I just had some cheese and a protein bar for breakfast and am hoping that will work.

kateleestar
11-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!

Oh, hi.. How I've missed you all!! I have like, 1K posts to catch up on, LOL.

Short story:

Both DH and I work for the electric company, as I'm sure you remember. We had that pesky hurricane go through our entire service area and wipe out like, everything down to the infastructure. It's been a long 2.5 weeks. I haven't seen him since last monday, LOL.. we're on different working schedules.. 16hrs on, 8 off, rinse and repeat... Every day.

I haven't weighed in since like, 10/27. :lol: I don't even want to know. I've been calorie counting the whole time, go me, and I'm in the same size, so... :crossed: that I'll be in the 180's still, LOL.

I need:

sleep
a good run
to be able to take the fondant class I paid for
and to see my DH.

in that order, LOL.

HI LADIES!! I MISSED YOU!!!

kateleestar
11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
kate: how did the oreo pops go?

They went AMAZING. lol.

174.8 this morning. Wow. I've been stalled out for 6 months and all of a sudden it's dropping off like crazy this week. I'm so grateful!

Ooo! Congrats. I hope this is me in a few weeks!! :)

Kate: how is the madness of this week going? I hope you're getting a little time to stop and at least breathe a little.

It was insanity, lol. Complete and utter insanity. It still is, but instead of it being a 25 on a scale of 1-10, its like an 8. So.. progress, lol.

WELCOME DUMPLIN! And HELLO SEVEN! :D I'm Kate.

Okay, I'm still catching up, but .. I have so much to do, lol.

Sigh.

Keep going everyone!!

Steph7409
11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Hmm, fondant class comes before seeing DH, kate? ;) I hope both of you get some down time soon! My firm has an office in NYC and there are some people who still don't have power.

I'm back where I was over a month ago, so that's not great. Better than being up, I suppose, but getting out of the 130s isn't going to happen unless I work harder!

I took advantage of the lovely weekend weather and went for a run on Saturday. I felt pretty good, but my leg hurt a lot that evening (maybe I shouldn't have done pilates, too, though the program I do is mostly stretching). So all I did yesterday was yard work, emptying all the containers of annuals and cutting back some perennials and doing some raking. It was nice to be outside.

kateleestar
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
We don't serve NY at all, but I've read stories about how bad it got there.

It's just.. really bad all over. Even in Ohio where I am we had huge trees down and super high winds, and flooding. It was nuts.

toastedsmoke
11-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone! Life and time got away from me and I've been away from 3FC for what seems like forever but in reality is maybe 2 weeks. Unfortunately, as comes with most of my periods away from the accountability that is 3FC, my eating has been more or less a huge mess! I tracked calories and it hasn't been good! Even my plans to "restart" have come to naught. At first it was fine because I stayed around the same weight of 153, but today I'm up to 156. And all I want is cake! Birthday cake with lovely lovely icing! And wouldn't you know it, my dad just had a birthday that I hosted and what do I have oodles of? Birthday cake with icing! Sigh. It's fine. I'm not eating cake. I don't even have the calorie room to dream of it today. I made a sweetcorn, peppers, herb and tuna salad which I ate a vat of this morning. The positive is that at least I'm considering things like if I have "the calorie room" for stuff again rather than just automatically munching.

This season is always tough for me, food-wise. It's my favourite time of year and usually where I go of the rails till January. One of my goals is to eat below 1400 calories at least 4 times a week, at this point, I'm doing a happy dance at eating under maintenance 4 times a week. I'm going to listen to my own advice though, and take it one day at a time. Yesterday for instance, the absolute LAST thing I wanted to do was work out even though I was already at 2000 calories but I made myself go to the gym and over an hour later, I was glad I did. Today, even though I'm craving cake, I'm saying no. Satisfying a cake craving is acceptable to me when I haven't had cake in ages not when I've lived off cake the last two days. I've completely derailed from my weekly goals but it's okay- progress not perfection. This week, I want to work out 2 more times at least and stay under 1700 calories. Then next week, I can continue with my regular weekly plan.

In other news, at my dad's "do," one of my aunts (an uncle's wife, not blood-related), who used to always say: "Wow Toasted, you've gotten so fat! You need to do something about your weight," saw me for the first time in maybe about 30 lbs and said to me: "You look really good. But any more weight loss and you'll start to look sick. Don't lose any more for some time. Give us some time to get used to you before you continue." :O The funny thing is that she's my favourite "aunt-in-law." She won't say anything behind your back that she won't say to your face at the very least.

Kate: Yay! You're back! I'm glad oreo pops went well. I hope things have settled down with work for you and the hubs and you've gotten some of your wishlist agenda done.

Steph: Hey! I'm sorry your leg is still bugging you. Hopefully it's better by now. Yay good weather! I've been in upstate New York in November before and it was snowy and freezing cold already so that must have been an excellent surprise.

I dropped and smashed my ipod screen this weekend where I track my diet and exercise so I don't have the info to report my last two weeks of the year-end challenge. I'm supposed to pick it up today so I'll post those later. I hope everyone is looking forward to thanksgiving and having a great week!

Steph7409
11-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey, toasted, I'm glad you're back. Good for you for working out last night and for saying no to cake today. I know what you mean about the difference between having a treat (okay) and eating that stuff day after day (not okay). And this time of year is indeed difficult, because there are treats everywhere, all the time.

As for me, I got fired last Friday. Total shock, put me in a tailspin - BUT, I haven't used it as an excuse to eat everything in the house. So that's a big win for me. I've been using my free time to exercise more.

And I've gotta say, if I were still fat, I'd be really freaking out about finding a new job. It's bad enough being middle-aged, but at least I don't look like an imminent danger to an employer's health care premiums. There's a lot of bias against overweight people so I'm glad I won't have to deal with that. Ironically, though, I've got a job interview tonight with some former clients who know I used to be fat - ha!

toastedsmoke
11-21-2012, 05:48 PM
OMG Steph, sorry about that. That seems really abrupt and without warning. Good job staying on track and parlaying the free time into something positive. You're in my thoughts and prayers to find something new definitely. Good luck!

I'm doing terrible by the measures of my end of year challenge plan of attack but for this week's plan, I'm doing alright. I've been under 1600 the past couple of days which is a victory and actually not bad at all in the grand scheme of things. And I feel pretty comfortable eating at this calorie level so it's something to consider for the future.

Below are my stats for the last 2 weeks for accountability purposes.

Week 7 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 153 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)-

I had ONE OVER MAINTENANCE calorie day- VERY BAD!

I worked out 4 times this week- EXCELLENT!!!

Week 8 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 153.5 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)-

I had THREE OVER MAINTENANCE calorie days this week- BEYOND UNSPEAKABLE!

I worked out ZERO times this week- BAD!!! Although to be fair, I was travelling for work.

Steph7409
11-21-2012, 06:23 PM
toasted, your "BEYOND UNSPEAKABLE" made me laugh, because that's often how I feel about my eating. But, as I keep saying to myself and others, we've done quite well overall and we're not killing puppies, so let's not be so hard on ourselves.

My job interview went really well and I'm pretty sure I've got the job. Two of the doctors (oral surgeons) have known me for years, so it was pretty relaxed. Their concern is that this would be a different kind of job for me and they want to make sure it's what I want. I think it would be exciting and challenging, and a good way to start a new chapter. I was hoping to hear from them today but...no. Ack.

I'm hoping to go for a run tomorrow morning before going to T'giving dinner. I took a short walk today and then spent hours raking leaves, but I've fallen off my strength training for some reason. My schedule is just out of whack.

toastedsmoke
11-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Steph: Ha! My mom says I'm melodramatic. But, you're right. At least no puppies were harmed in my decimation of thousands of calories. And really in the grand scheme of things... ah well... I'm hoping you've heard back from the job by now and that it IS what you want. You sound excited about it so here's to everything working out for you with that! Did you end up going for the run on Thanksgiving morning? AND <dun dun dun> (dramatic music), how did Thanksgiving go?

Last week went alright-ish. I went with the plan to stay under 1700 calories a day and it was WONDERFUL. I was all like "wow, is this how REAL people eat?" I can't remember the last time I ate at that level since I started this weight loss journey nearly 4 years ago (probably because the answer to that is NEVER!). I'm thinking of upping my calories in the long term to that level, I'm still undecided about doing it for the purposes of our year end challenge, but I'm going to do another cycle of under 1700 calories for this week and see how it goes.

Exercise-wise, last week, I discovered I'm a weakling with very little upper body strength. I've never had any problems lifting suitcases etc (a necessary skill since I travel a lot), but lifting weights.... NONONONO! I did one day of "intense" strength training last week Monday and all I could think (in horror) was "why would anyone do this?!" So I decided to go back to my "fairy princess," high reps, low weights Jillian Michaels' dvds from when I first started. She has one called No More Trouble Zones which is basically a circuit-style strength and toning workout. When I finished my last cycle of it a couple of years ago, I was busting out sets of 5 manly pushups at a go. So the thing is I stopped doing Jillian Michaels' dvds because they got too easy for me, even the "hard" modifications and also because I fell in love with kickboxing-type workouts and basically did only that and running all through 2011.

Well, kickboxing lured me into a false sense of security. My arms and back and don't look flabby and I suppose appear toned enough, thanks to kickboxing and my legs are alright thanks to running, BUT I'm weaker than I was two years ago. I was only using 5-lb weights and by the second set of each circuit, I was at exhaustion. I haven't done push ups in a while but I could only do 2 before I had to drop to my knees and as for holding up a plank.... #cacklesbitterly Maybe my body just isn't used to these kind of workouts anymore or something. I'm fine with not being able to lift my own weight but surely, I should be able to complete a Jillian Michael's video without struggling to pick myself off the floor. On the positive, the cardio moves were like a stroll in the park for me, on the negative, there was very little cardio. At least I have something to work with for now, regarding strength.

I'll post my Week 9 year end challenge update tomorrow or so. I hope everyone had a great weekend and that the rest of the year will be filled with many many more reasons to give thanks!

Steph7409
11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
toasted, you'll get that strength conditioning back quickly if you stick with it. Maybe we should have a weight-lifting challenge. I need some motivation there myself. I stopped doing the lower body lifts because my leg hurt so badly but I should try to get back to them.

I did indeed get the job - phew! It's quite a relief. I'm both excited and anxious. There was a lot I didn't like about my old job but it was familiar. The devil you know, you know?

Thanksgiving was great. I didn't go for a run because it was too cold for me, so I just did some cardio inside. I didn't stuff myself for dinner, although I did have 2 servings of mashed potatoes. I don't much care for any of the other side dishes, though, so I skipped all of those. It was a lovely day all around.

I went off the rails a bit this weekend, though, all sorts of stress eating because I'm all over the map emotionally. I made a pan of brownies and finished it off in 2 days, the sort of thing I used to do routinely but haven't done in 18 months or so. So I'm back up to 133 again, meaning I've gained and lost the same 2 pounds about 5 times in the last 2 months. Ugh.

I start the new gig next Monday so have lunch dates every day this week. Eek!

toastedsmoke
11-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Steph: Yay!!! Congrats on the job! I totally get the "the devil you know," but maybe this is a good thing. Stay positive, I'm sure it will be great. I am with you on the bad baking ideas. I backed a batch of carrot-nut cupcake tonight and have already eaten 600 calories worth... :( I've stopped though. And till then I was so wonderfully on plan. Eeek indeed about a week of "outside" lunches. Do you have a game plan to deal? Or are you going to roll with it and see how it goes?

My weight hit pretty much a 2-month high today at 158.5 up from 154-155 from the last 4 days. I've been doing a little more strength training and am a little sore AND it's TOM so I'm going to believe it's more that than the fact I've upped my calories. I'm still watching and seeing. This TOM has been brutal PMS-wise, apart from horrible cravings, I had a meltdown today and spent the day in tears because I'm trying to switch banks to one that can do some investment stuff for me as well and had set the deadline for myself for today to get it done and I couldn't decide which bank to go for. I don't know what was up with that.

Anyway, here are my stats for accountability purposes for week 9 of our year end challenge.

Week 9 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 155 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)- Experimenting with changes in diet and exercise. (To be watched closely!)

2.) Under 1700 (not 1400 this week) calories at least 4 times a week.
I was under 1700 calories 4 times this week- OK!

I had TWO OVER MAINTENANCE calorie days this week- BAD, MUST DO BETTER!

I worked out THREE times this week- GOOD!

Steph7409
11-28-2012, 07:20 PM
toasted, I hope your hormones are getting back in balance.

I spent part of today at my new office and had a bit of a meltdown myself when I went to run errands mid-day. So much change! I don't have a desk of my own at the new place yet and am not even sure what I'll be doing, so I'm feeling unmoored. I think it will all work out in the end but it's going to be a stressful transition.

So, this week, my goal is to just hang on, eating-wise. I'm going to enjoy my remaining lunch dates but try not to go overboard. So far, so good.

I did some weight lifting last night, so that's once this week! :)

toastedsmoke
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Steph: Yay at getting the weight-work done! Don't borrow trouble, the transition might go smooth and you worried for nothing. Fingers crossed! ;) How did the week of lunches go?

I'm doing okay. I've been over a little but I'm happy with my eating overall. I've made some good decisions this week and not given in to just eating the day away because of a single bad decision.

Something strange happened at the gym. In the two years I've been going to my gym, I've not had THAT much interaction with the trainers. I've never used their services even though I'm at least on nodding terms with them. One of the trainers today (the woman who on my first day there, I was 240s doing C25K, told me I was too fat to run! HA!) approached me with her client who I guess she'd told about me and my weightloss but who didn't believe "someone as skinny as me had ever been fat." Anyway so after a brief conversation with this trainer's client and the trainer, the trainer inadvertently revealed to me that another trainer at the gym (who I've never spoken to) did not believe that my weight loss was natural and was sure I was "using something." I'm not even sure what that means but I felt pretty offended. I know how much work and how long this has taken, I'm certainly not "using anything," certainly nothing unnatural. Grrr.

Today, I ended up a little over in calories but I worked out pretty hard today and I made the most delicious salt and pepper baked squid so that was pretty exciting!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Steph7409
12-02-2012, 01:28 PM
toasted, you have every right to be offended by that insinuation! It's especially annoying because you've taken the slow, steady route. I don't know why others won't accept that eating less + exercising more + TIME = successful weight loss.

I've had a very bad few days, food-wise. I'm just letting myself get too worked up about the changes in my life. Or, more accurately, I'm letting the changes give me an excuse to go back to my old familiar self-medicating behaviors. I officially start the new job tomorrow and am hoping to get back to a better routine. I bought lettuce today at the grocery store, so that's a start!

toastedsmoke
12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Steph: It's even more surprising because he's a trainer at the gym. Does he not believe in what he's selling his clients? Sigh! Regarding the food issues, I'm struggling a bit as well so not particular words of wisdom except the usual keep plugging away. The good thing is that every minute is a new opportunity to make a healthier decision and good on you buying lettuce today! Good luck with your first day at the new job tomorrow! I'm sure it will be great! (The power of positive thinking and all...)

I've been eating a little over calories, it's not drastic but it's something I need to keep an eye on. I've also upped my workouts. On the plus, I'm down from Tuesday's high of 158.5 (EEK!!!) to Sunday's 154.5 (not EEK but not yipee-ki-yay either)! I'm not sure what this means... But I think I'll definitely be pushing on with eating at this higher calorie level till the end of the challenge. I definitely feel less deprived.

Here's wishing you a great week!

Steph7409
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Day one at the new job went well. Not having a desk prevented me from snacking too much, so there's the silver lining.

I'm hoping to string together some good days this week. Today, my calories were okay (1700ish), I did 30 minutes of stepping, 20 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes of weights. So that's one good day in a row!

kateleestar
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Oh my gracious, ladies. How i've missed it here.

So. So. Busy. I'm eating okay, 1800ish cals, but I'm not working out at all. With the storm, work, Turkey Day and then my BFF giving birth, we have been away from home every day and evening since like, the last week of October. I need things to slow down! lol.

I gotta get back on my horse. I need to. I want to achieve the goal I set for myself. :crossed: Pray for me! LOL.

Steph7409
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi, Kate! I hope you get time to breathe.

I can't seem to get my stress eating under control, but I'm doing okay with exercise so I'm hovering at my ticker weight of 133. I came so close to getting out of the 130s waaaay back in October and now I wonder if I'll ever get there. Oh well, better to be stuck here than gaining.

kateleestar
12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I hope so too! lol. Last night we did the last of the running around, and I have tomorrow off so I plan to decorate for christmas and then run. I want to get back into running, get this last 18lbs off and finally get to my goal. I'm done with this! LOL.

I don't have my workouts under control, but my eating is okay. I have to make it a priority. Sheesh. Can't I just snap my fingers and have this over with? lol.

Anybody heard from Melissa? Is she okay? I hope so. :)

Steph7409
12-08-2012, 10:40 PM
kate, it looks like Melissa hasn't posted since the end of October. No new entries on her blog, either. Let's hope she's just really busy.

I am not doing well at all this weekend. It's time to stop feeling sorry for myself and getting back to work on this last chunk of weight to lose.

toastedsmoke
12-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Steph: I didn't do well at all this weekend either even though it started with such promise. How's the new job going one week in? I agree that it's much better to maintain than to regain... that's what I keep telling myself. My goal of 145 lbs by Christmas at this point, is hysterical. I'm not even sure below 150 by Christmas is doable or why I keep chasing that goal.

Kate: Yay! You're back! I think staying around 1800 calories on such a hectic schedule where you're not necessarily home to make your own food is a feat in itself. The exercise part will come. I'm praying for you definitely. Did you end up getting that run in?

I've been kind of up and down regarding plan. I gained 3-4 lbs in November and immediately my wrinkly spaniel ears boobs looked (marginally) better and then now I've gone back to the 152-153 range, they're more sad-looking than ever. It's kind of messing with my mind and making me question what my goal is and why I want to make it to 140-145 when that is such an arbitrary number for me. (Haven't been under 150 lbs since I was an under-10). The thing is I'm not unhappy with where my body is right now, but I want to see if I could be happier with it 10 lbs down. With the boob issue, it's not like I'm mourning the death of my topless modelling career but it would be nice to have boobs that weren't all hanging, crepe-y skin. So bottom line, I'm not sure what I want to do. It seems that I'm taking an unwilling maintenance break of sorts bouncing around the same few pounds whilst I try to get my eating under control. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on till wisdom smacks me upside the head.

Here's wishing everyone an awesome week!

Week 10 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 154.5 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)- Experimenting with changes in diet and exercise. (To be watched closely!)

I was under 1700 calories 3 times this week- NOT GOOD!

I had ONE maintenance calorie days this week- MEH!

I worked out FOUR times this week- EXCELLENT!

Week 11 Year-End Challenge Update:
1.) SW: 156.5 CW 153 GW: 145 (by 22/12/2012)- Experimenting with changes in diet and exercise. (To be watched closely!)

I was under 1700 calories 3 times this week- NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I had FOUR OVER MAINTENANCE calorie days this week- !!!!!!

I worked out TWO times this week- CAN DO BETTER!

Steph7409
12-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Oh, I suck. I managed to eat my way up to 137 - EGAD. I was feeling very anxious and upset last week, to the point where I felt like I had a knot in my chest, so I just ate and ate and ate. I'm feeling better this week but I'm still eating too much. I can at least see the track again, though, and hope to get back on it.

toasted, I hope you find the weight where you're the happiest. I think it's a moving target for all of us.

kateleestar
12-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I have been staying at 1800 - with yesterday being the exception, lol. It was my birthday and I really just didn't care, LOL. So I had 2 cookies, breakfast out with co-workers, an apple, dinner at a local (& sorta famous, lol) fried chicken place, complete with dumplings and fries. It was SO GREAT, lol. Back on plan today.

And yes, I DID get that run in. It was only for about 20 mins, but it was there. I'm back to working out every other day - hopefully to make that back into every day. I want to be near 170 by 3/1/13. :crossed:

I hate hate hate that knot feeling, Steph! I get that way too, it's just.. sometimes too much. At least you only ate, though, you know? ;) LOL.

And toasted, I also hope you find your happy weight. I bet once you get to a place your body will just ... stick. And be happy! :)

kateleestar
12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Adding: I do hope Melissa is okay - I didn't even think to check he blog, LOL. Duh. It is a busy time for her, I remember from previous years.. maybe she's just away.

:)

berryblondeboys
12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Kind of funny I decided to pop in today when I hadn't been here forever and you all were asking about me. Life just got INCREDIBLY busy. 20 part-time jobs that was about 30 hours a week, 8 hours a week with commute for my son's speech therapy, 3 hours a week for physical therapy for my shoulder and I was BURNED OUT on writing since for both of my jobs I had to write. I managed to make it to the gym 4 times a week though which was a small miracle, but I let go on my eating a bit as my sleep was all a ess.

Scale is up to 182. I know it will come down as I get the carbs out of my system. The one part time job is done (as of 2 weeks ago today), and also as of two weeks ago, the speech therapy for my son ended. I took a week to just breathe (and eat too much - that's when I did most of the damage!) and then this week it's gearing up for the holidays, etc. But I am blogging again and I have time to read the board.

Glad to see you all chugging away!

Steph7409
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Just a bump to say happy holidays, all!

Melissa and Kate, I hope you have time to enjoy the season.

toasted, I hope you're doing well.

guacamole
12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Popping in to say hi to Melissa and Steph! Haven't seen you all for a bit and am glad you are still around!! Happy holidays! :)

kateleestar
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
HUGE BUMP. LOL. Just popped in to say HELLO LADIES and I'm on a 'healthy and happy' weight loss break... DH and I are currently trying to make a baby, lol. Fingers crossed that losing that 100+lbs makes it easier! :crossed: :D

Miss talking to you all, though. Wish life wasn't so flipping crazy! <3

lunarsongbird
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Oh oh!! Good luck with TTC! How exciting! I'm losing 100 pounds to ease baby making in 2014!

toastedsmoke
03-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Hey kate! Happy New Year! I kind of meant to look for this thread and bump it but I've been super lazy. With most things. Including being on plan! Sigh! I'm glad you're happy and healthy and wish you all the TTC luck in the world!

Shout out to all the other people close to the end of this long journey and looking for support. We can totally do it!

kateleestar
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Huge bump again, lol.

Hi. WE DID IT. ;)

...miss you all. Pray for me, lol. :D

http://lmtm.lilypie.com/6Q2Gm4.png (http://lilypie.com)