Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 07:25 PM   #1  
a new me, I soon will be

Exclamation Feeling Alone

Okay, here is the deal...

I'm 23 and have been very lazy for the past five years (a soon-to-be ex-relationship) so I'm what you would call "extra fluffy"

Well, being only 5'2" and around 200 lbs, my body has decided that it cannot take anymore and is basically acting broken down. The problem is that I am surrounded by skinny women who have no need to lose weight. Granted, the think they do, which only brings me down more. My mom and sister are twigs but they are continually saying how much they need to lose....HELLO! They wear a size 2!

So, you can see how I feel alienated in my family because Mom's whole side is thin. My dad's side of the family (that I never see) is where I got my fat body genes.

Okay, I think I am finished venting. Just needed to express my depressed feelings to someone that might understand.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:41 AM   #2  

becgris,

Hi! You are not alone. When I first started my weight loss quest.... I pretty much hated my body. Everyone around me was skinny. I started to lose weight and still people were questioning how I did it and if I was being healthy.. or if I was losing too much. People will never ever be happy it seems.

So really, the only thing you can do.. is do this for yourself. It sounds like you have reached a point where you are ready to change yourself.. so that you can feel better. That is exactly the kinda attitude you need to have.

Your family and friends might not seem too supportive now.. but until they come around.. you have us. We will support you and encourage you.

So join our monthly challenge. You have half of April left. And if you ever need to vent.. please feel free.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:33 AM   #3  

Good morning,

I think that you will find a lot of people who can relate to your story here!

I think that you will find that weight loss is a really personal experience and that a lot of the feedback you get from some friends and family is more about them, than you & your weight loss & health. Tonic is right...people will come around and learn to be more supportive. In the meanwhile...there are a lot of people on this site who can certainly relate (myself included!).

I was 261 at my height weight and was starting to experience some health problems...so I had the same motivating factor as you! I think that your health is truly the best reason to lose weight...looking better for me was just a side perk! I am probably closer to your starting weight (approx. 190 now). You're not alone...feel free to jump in and join our group!

Kris
261-191-155
Old 05-09-2003, 08:36 PM   #4  

I know what you mean about it seeming everybody around you is thin! I too am 23, in a 4 year relationship that has made me "extra fluffy".. Not only do I not have a lot of friends, but the ones I do are all pretty skinny.. Who wants to walk around the lake at 240 pds with a 100 pound friend wearing mini shorts and tee? LOL

Funny thing? I LOVE walking, swimming, etc. But won't do it on my own! I need a buddy
Closed Thread