Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Default Pilates. Resistance training??

Hey all,

Not sure if this is in the best category but here goes!

Is Pilates a form of resistance training? I am not talking about with the machines but with body weight and dumbbells (for ex, Winsor Pilates or classes) I am wanting to start toning. So far, lunges are not my best friends (maybe once I lose another 30 pounds). Right now, I can do squats and etc. I was looking for a stress free lower body workout (pilates???) that would tone me really well in the lower body without bulk. Upper body I could still do weight training with dumbbell (bicep curls, tricep kickbacks). Anyone else try this approach? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thank you!

Last edited by RoyalAthena; 09-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #2  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Hi there!

I'm no expert, but I'm going to say yes Pilates *can be* a form of resistance training.

I have a Pilates machine and it has resistance bands that I can adjust. By the end of my workout I am sweating and my arms, sides and legs are sore. So I guess it would depend on how much muscle you are putting into the workout.

Lastly I have to say doing Pilates 3 -4 times per week for about 30 minutes in the early days of weight loss gave my body the jump start I needed to start working out regularly. It made me more flexible and gave me more endurance.

Good luck and keep us updated!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have been doing Pilates for nearly two years. I LOVE IT! I started with just one private session per week and now go five times a week. I do mat pilates that also employs a foam roller, band, ring and weighted balls. I've never used a reformer. I've spoken with a few good trainers that have all said mat Pilates is more rigorous than using a reformer. It's a better workout.

Pilates is definitely a form of resistance training, but it also focuses on proper form, body alignment through movement and flexibility.

The first changes I noticed in my body, within a few weeks, was how the back of my thighs started tightening up. All my pants were getting looser in the back. There's a lot of work that goes on in the hamstrings, inner and outer thighs and glutes.

Soon, my core was getting really solid and strong. I'm a big woman and I still have a lot of weight to lose, but my sons are totally impressed with how hard my abs are underneath all my layers. My arms, shoulders and back are all stronger too. But I do augment with free weights for my upper body and cardio, three times a week.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #4  

I'm glad to see this thread since I'm starting a Pilates class tomorrow morning... didn't know what to expect, but I'm gonna give it a try... thanks a bunch for the info, y'all!..

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Quote:
In 10 sessions you will feel the difference, in 20 sessions you will see the difference, and in 30 you will have a new body.
- Joseph Pilates

Stick with it, Sheshie! Hope your experience is everything you want it to be.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #6  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Lots of luck Sheshie! Remember to try and have slow, controlled movements and use your core as best as you can. Let us know how it goes!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Pilates is definitely a form of a resistance workout because during many of the exercises your own body weight is providing some of the "resistance"

I absolutely LOVE pilates.... I usually do 2 private classes a week of mainly reformer workouts and some mat work on my own... I just wish it wasn't so pricey... (sessions run $65 and up/hr here...)

I would definitely recommend trying some reformer sessions if you can...

Enjoy!
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:53 AM   #8  

A fairly gentle kind of resistance exercise is pilates. It is more physically demanding than yoga, but less so than jogging, cycling, running, and other aerobic exercises. Particularly if you're a novice, the moves are performed at a steady speed and get your heart rate up.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote