Support Groups - CANADIAN Fall/Winter Thread ...

View Full Version : CANADIAN Fall/Winter Thread ...

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-22-2012, 08:57 PM
HI FOLKS ~ like I promised, I am starting a new fall/winter thread for all of us Canucks. I know we spend a lot more time indoors when the cold weather comes, so we usually get more people dropping by here too.

Sooo, I hope you all had a good summer inspite of the :hot: weather. I know we did. I grew green beans and my own hanging cherry tomatoes (Tumbling Toms), and they did really well. My perennial flowers and bushes did well; and we got some nice Rhubarb from our own patch too. I even got a few berries off my bushes this year; next year should be even better.

We only had to put our air conditioner on once; we braved out a couple of other hot days, but mostly we were OK. Our house has brick on the outside and the walls are about 10-12" thick, so it stays at least 10 degrees cooler in here than outside. We still had to use our fans a bit but that wasn't too bad at all.

The leaves are changing to a lovely yellow, orange, gold, and wine red right now; and some are even falling already. The temps are cool and crisp, but it is nice for walking if it isn't too damp. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year in Canada; we are blessed with beautiful fall colors here in Ontario.

I hope you all have a wonderful fall & winter. Please do drop by now & then and let us know how things are going for you all, in your part of this big & wide & beautiful country of ours ... :D

Ash2007
09-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I dream of moving to Canada! It sounds so lovely there! How crazy to me that you only had to turn on your a/c once! That'd be awesome.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-26-2012, 10:16 PM
HI ASH ~ yes, this is a very beautiful country; and we know that it is very :hot: in Texas, esp this year. It was hot everywhere, including here. We never used to get into the 90's here, but we have over the last few years, although this year, there wasn't as many. It is one blessing about living in the far north ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, I imagine somebody will join me on this thread eventually ... :lol: In the meanwhile, I will blog away ... ;)

So, the fall colors are really in full bloom right now; it looks so lovely out there. We are enjoying a mix of warm and cool temps; :sunny: and :rain: days too. The buggies have almost disappeared now (the earwigs, I mean). I won't miss them at all, I'm telling you; and I hope they don't show up for another 7 years.

I am enjoying my walks a bit better with this weather too; I find the cooler temps more invigorating. The chilly, damp days are a bit hard on my muscles, so I do more indoors on those days.

I have been getting lots done around the house -- washing bed linens and washed my bedroom carpet this AM too. The idea is to get everything done before the really cold weather gets here. My beans have been finished for some time, so I pulled the plants out, but I am still getting some cherry tomatoes, albeit -- they are a bit slower now.

DH still has his daily Alzheimer's issues, but with lots of prayers and support from above, I have been able to not eat my feellings. I am seeing a real victory there and am so pleased. I have been doing a lot of mending lately and have a lot more to do yet -- taking in all my clothes (esp my dresses and pants). It's a great way to while away a wet, cold afternoon anyways.

I am loving the beautiful oak rocking chair DH bought me for my birthday two years ago. I can sit and mend away, while watching all the goings on outdoors too. I had a chickadee visit me the other day -- it was kinda playing with me as I was sitting on our front deck. I was concerned that it may get hurt as it kept flying past me right near my head. It was fun to watch though -- she was getting some down from our pine tree for her winter's nest.

Well, I hope that you all are enjoying the cooler weather all across the country; and this lovely new month of October as well. :flow2:

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-08-2012, 08:36 PM
:thanks1:HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY :thanks1: and weekend to all our Canadian friends out there ...

Lots of folks are outdoors hunting this weekend, while others gathered at family and friend's places to celebrate this day & weekend. I made our turkey dinner yesterday; and an pumpkin pie for DH/custard for me today... yum!
We had leftovers today; was just as nice!

This week went very well for my eating; got some walking and exercise in. I did my "Thanksgiving weigh-in" and am down another 4 lbs. It might have been more but it has only been 6 weeks since I weighed last and I'm a slow-poke anyways ... :snail:

My next mini-goal is for Christmas Day which gives me more than 10 weeks, then it will be Valentine's Day, and then EAster, and so on. My goal is for a minimum of 3 lbs up to 7 lbs -- so we'll see how it goes. Of course, I am trying for lots of inches, and maybe 1 or 2 sizes by next spring too. :D

We are "thanking GOD" on this day for all the many blessings and benefits he has sent our way this year!!! :angel:

mottainai
10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey there! I just this minute found this thread! Hope you're still around.

I'm living in Vancouver, moved up here when I got married at the end of last year (from Oklahoma!).

It's become totally winter here which means rain rain rain and more rain, which is making it hard on my exercise habits for sure. /: It's pretty though, at least!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-02-2012, 11:25 PM
:welcome: MOTTAINAI ~ wowie, what a beautiful young lady you are ... I can't see where you need to lose any more weight though! Congrats on your marriage too; what a gorgeous avatar pic!!!

Winter has finally settled in here for us as well: it snowed yesterday and it stayed for the first time. On November 1st -- so that's not too bad really.

BTW, I am in Northern Ontario; I am a Southern Ontario transplant. My DAD says that since I have lived here much longer than I did in the south, that I am really a true northerner now ... :lol:

mottainai
11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks so much, Justwant2Bhealthy, for the compliment!! Actually that photo was taken nearly a year ago, and I've lost weight even since then! Still keeping on though.

Snow! How nice. We don't really get snow here, just tons of rain!! Makes spontaneous exercise and outdoor activities quite difficult, unfortunately.

I've never been to Ontario. I just moved up here right after I got married at the very very end of last year, from Oklahoma in the states, where I lived most of my life until now. I really don't know if I want to stay here forever....Vancouver is great, but it's SO expensive and kind of becoming a Chinese colony with all the immigrants, lol. But we'll see! My husband is Japanese actually, and he's been living in Vancouver for about 3-4 years now, trying to get permanent residency in Canada, and he doesn't want to give up now and move, lol.

I'm curious about other parts of Canada. How is the seafood you can get where you are? That's one of my requirements for a place to live, haha. And it sounds like you've got pretty harsh winters? Are you in a more rural place or a city?

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I am in a small town in Northern Ontario. I don't know if our winters are so much harsh or just long, but we do get lots of snow. Southern Ontario seems to have their share of storms too, so it's hard to compare. Our temps are a bit colder, but it is a dryer cold and more comfortable in my opinion.

As for fish, it's mostly fresh water fish like trout, pickerel, perch, pike, and ling (a kind of cod) here that I've seen so far. Southern Ontario lakes have a few more varieties I think, esp the great lakes. :)

scoutycat
12-09-2012, 10:58 PM
*waves!* Hi other Canadians! I'm just outside of Ottawa :)

Projectslim
01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Glad to find some Canadians on here!!! I'm from Newfoundland....joined to find a support for the journey.....*sigh*....maybe this time I'll manage to get it right!!! Happy New Year to each of you :)

Elaine51
01-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Another Canuck on the boards. I'm from Calgary, just joined Jan 1st,2013. Following Weight Watchers program (Points Plus, but the older program where fruit is not "free"...that would definately be a problem for me...I love fruit). Decided to try to do it on my own rather than attend WW meetings. With support from this board, I'm pretty sure I'll be successful!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-18-2013, 01:48 PM
:welcome: to all you other CANADIANS that have dropped by lately. I was away having surgery and am now on the road to recovery and staying with my family down near Tobermory way (in Southern Ontario).

We are on a lovely lake here and it is a beautiful place to recupe from anything, including the flu we had the last few weeks. Am finally starting to feel better now though ... :carrot:

We don`t have as much ***snow*** here as we do at home, but we have been getting a little sprinkle each day; a lot of it has been just blowing around. Weve had :sunny: for a bit each day which was really nice too. The temps have dropped a bit but it`s not too bad here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all too -- I really hope that 2013 turns out to be the year you succeed with your good eating and WL goals, which in turn leads to life-long good health for you all too ... :cheer2:

lynnkath
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Can I join? New to 3FC and new to trying to take off the lbs! I'm starting ViSalus this weekend and hoping it works well for me! I'm an ex-smoker, I've had three kids (one passed away after birth) and suffer from depression and anxiety.
I am in NB, Canada and am freezing my butt off! I can't really go for walks or anything as it's so cold and I would have to take the kids, plus its soooo slippery!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
:welcome: LYNN ~ by all means, you can join in here; always love to have more Canucks drop by and let us know what's going on in their part of this big, beautiful country of ours. I understand that it can get quite cold out in your region during the winter and you can get some really nasty storms too.

We've had more snow here this year and colder temps seem to be here and up north (where we usually live). The weather has been kind of chaotic this winter; going up and down like a yo-yo. From really cold then up to above freezing and everything melting.

It actually :rain: here last week; had a doozy of a storm and my sister's basement flooded on them. Thank goodness a friend brought in some of his workers and dried it up for them that same day. What a blessing. Now they need a sub-pump system installed to prevent that from happening again.

Good thing the temps have gone back down, but we've had more ****** and :sunny: too. It was lovely today and we went to Owen Sound for the prep for my chemo treatments. That will keep us busy until spring but the roads were totally clear and we had a great day! :D

Hope all our other CANADIAN friends out there are keeping warm and enjoying all the best that our four seasons have to offer us here. We may even try a few walks outdoors on the :sunny: days just to see how I do. Best wishes for all of you too; hope you all have a successful month of February ... :hug:

Silverfire
02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
SO.MUCH.SNOW

I'm in Sask and we have had the most snow I have ever seen. It's becoming increasingly difficult to shovel the walks as there is no where left for the snow to go. Not to mention our city's really really crappy residential snow removal. The ruts are so bad I can hardly get my car out. I love Canada, and I love winter ( I will love it more when next year I can go snowboarding!!! ) But I am just DONE with this snow!!

Come on spring. It's going to be the messiest of all springs, but just NO MORE SNOW!!!!!

Aunty Jam
02-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Hey everyone.... how's things? I haven't been around in so long I only recognize one name... :wave: Hi Rose.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
:welcome: SILVERFIRE -- glad that you popped in over here. WE had more snow and lower temps here as well. We have the same problem at our house, where to put it all? I have a guy removing it for us. We have a wind storm going on outside right now. I will welcome spring early too, as I would like to get out walking soon.

I have been so busy with my tumor surgery and recuping from that and a flu I caught while in the hospital; and now I just started my Chemo Treatments on Monday (a long process to prep and lots of appts for that). I am doing well though. Please come by now and then; it's nice to have some more activity around here besides myself ... ;)

AUNTY JAM -- so nice to see you back here again; missed all our Canadian friends over the last while, but with all that has been going on in my life since late last fall (finding out about the huge tumor I had in my abdomen, and so forth, that I explained to SILVERFIRE), I've had a lot on my plate; and dealing with DH'S Alzheimers and other health issues too ... phew!!!

Hopefully, things will quiet down for me from now until spring as I finish the chemo rounds and get some much needed rest. I can spend more time coming in here when I feel well too. Hope all our other Canadian friends are having a great February; can't believe it's almost over already.

Well, with the month of MARCH looming so soon; then spring won't be far behind ... :carrot:

CleverName
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm in the Yukon. It's been a beautiful winter here, so warm! It's been mainly in the -5 range for January and February, with 2 dips down to -20 for a couple of days. We yo-yo'ed between -5 and -35 in November and December, but its been warm ever since! Its amazing how happy having a warm winter makes me. It helps make up for the length of winter!

I'm a busy mama to 3 little ones- 4, 2, and 8 months. I need to make some major lifestyle changes- I need to figure out how to make working out happen, and I need to make the decision to start eating well. Waiting around for some motivation to find me isn't working. ;)

Nice to meet everyone! :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-01-2013, 11:22 AM
:welcome3: CLEVER ~ happy that you found this site and our Canadian thread too. We've had an up & down winter too; some mild days in January that we had a huge :rain: storm that flooded my sister's basement -- yikes! Got that all cleaned up, but then it dropped down to the -20's C here and we are further down south.

Up north (in the Timmins area of Ontario), where our home is -- had temps go down to -50 C with the windchill, and the -40's in regular temps. Hey, I am kinda glad now that we've been here this winter and missed that. I had noticed that are heating bills were a bit higher; so, there's a sign ... ;)

When my chemo rounds are done; and I am feeling 100%, then we will go back home in the late spring. I am so grateful and thankful to my sister and BIL that they let us stay here in their lovely home (actually a B & B that is closed right now for renovations and rest); and they have helped looked after me in my recoveries from surgery and chemo.

PLus, they have been taking such good care of DH for me who has Alzheimers and other health issues too. That alone has been the greatest thing for me, as I wouldn't have been able do that on my own. We are blessed; and I pray GOD will bless them mightily for their kindnesses and generosities towards us.

Come back and visit us whenever you can; I find coming here keeps me grounded -- aware and accountable and active too.:D

Silverfire
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Just wondering if there are any fellow Saskatoonians kicking around here?

2Bhealthy - flooding is terrible! I am a little concerned that once the eleventeen feet of snow finally melts its going to flood everything, I live in an older neighborhood and the plumbing isn't awesome. Fortunately our house is on much higher ground than the rest of the street, so it should be OK... We borrowed a snow blower to move the snow away from the house. Fingers crossed, its supposed to be warm all week. Its great that you have an awesome family to put you up and help you through your chemo :) Here is hoping for a speedy recovery!

mygirlvj
03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Hello all fellow Canadians. I'm in northern Manitoba and was thrilled when I ran across this thread. It's funny because as soon as I saw Canadians I just automatically got a feeling of ...ahhhh theres my people. Feels imediately like home. Weird eh :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-06-2013, 06:29 AM
:welcome: MYGIRL ~ glad you found us over here; people from all over this great country of ours, come here and use this site. I just like to hear from others who share our large space and see how things are where they live. I have siblings in Southern Ontario and one way up in FLIN FLON, Manitoba.

mygirlvj
03-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks Justwant2Bhealthy. Way up in Flin Flon lol..... get in your car and drive another 4 hours north and you'd find me. I will definately be checking in here on a regular basis. Hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
MYGIRLVJ ~ I think your little pooch is adorable -- looks like a she, but could be wrong, I guess. ;)

mygirlvj
03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
It's a he. His name is Reggie, I call him Reg. Oh I so love him.

Aunty Jam
03-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Aw! Puppies are the best! :wave: Hi!
<--- There's mine.... Chase on the left and Snoop on the right.

Rose - I don't think I knew about the tumour :( When did you find out? I had a rough time with my Dad passing so that's my excuse for not being around.

Silver - Not in Saskatoon but I've been there.. does that count? ;) I've spent quite a bit of time in Saskatchewan since I have family near PA.

pluckypear
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Justwant Thanks for starting this thread I guess it will be spring soon enough. Glad you are recovering well.

I was born in Labrador NFLD. My Dad was in the Canadian Forces and we also lived in Alsas Saskatchewan then settled in Ontario. We lived in Kingston then Newmarket when my Dad changed careers and retired. I moved to Toronto in my late 20's and never left. I also lived in Thunder Bay for a few years. I go to Sault St Marie often.

I would love to see more of Canada and plan to.

We have had more snow this year then in the last few.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
MY GIRL ~ I think Reg is adorable; looks like a bundle of fun... ;)

AUNTYJAM ~ I had tests done in November and got results in December; and had the surgery on December 24, 2012. They had to get it out fast, as it was huge and was making me really ill -- besides causing me to lose weight (about a lb a day while still eating 1800/2000 cals per day), there were other unpleasant symptoms too, which is why I went to see the doctor in the first place. He told me right away that he was worried about why I was getting so thin and my stomach was not (it was actually getting bigger).

So I had emergency surgery less than 2 weeks after seeing him. THANK GOD for his mercy; it all went well. Bless that wonderful medical team and hospital of such caring staff -- words cannot convey how grateful I am to them all for their excellent care. I was only there for 7 days and recuped at my sister's place in her B & B -- so kind of them to take care of DH and me. What a job that was but they have been so fabulous and generous to us.

Now I am taking chemo (round #2 this Tuesday coming), and they are still taking care of us. Taking us to all the appts. and trips as well. May GOD bless them mightily for everything. Sis says she wouldn't have it any other way and she knows I would do the same for her (but that isn't gonna be, right?)... ;)

Have had only mild symptoms so far: hot flashes, fatigue, acne break-out, and some hair loss this week, I'm afraid -- but it will grow back and I'll get some head wraps this week. I was sad to lose it as it took at least 7-10 years to grow but I'm told that it will grow in even thicker and healthier; and I think that will look nicer too.

WEnt for blood tests today and did a bit of shopping. I'm still able to eat as the nausea has been short and doesn't last, thank goodness. So many blessings despite everything. Condolences on your father's passing ... :hug:

PEAR ~ nice to have you drop by this thread. I have a niece that lives in THUNDER BAY. She works at the university there; and is getting married this coming June 1st, so we are all going up there to the wedding (as her mom is my sister and we are staying with them through my chemo rounds). I am hoping I'll feel well enuff to go to the wedding as that will in between round 5 & 6. I've never been there, so am looking forward to the trip really.

Gotta go right now; the dinner bell just rang ... ;):);)

Aunty Jam
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Rose - Wow.. that was quick and drastic. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and that you have people taking care of you. Was it actually 100 pounds???

I am so ready for spring also.... it comes at 5somethingam tomorrow but it still looks an awful lot like winter here. We've had double our usual amount of snow already this month :( I can't wait until it's all gone so I can take my boys out running again.

LeanStrongSexy
03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
but on the weekends while staying at my Aunt's while working in a different city during the day I get bored at night. I worked nights for 2+ years and having the nights off and not in my own house where I can kill time watching tv and being on the internet, I get really bored and eat very bad things b/c of boredom. Exercise is out right now while I am having some lung issues. No infection but as soon as I exert myself I start coughing. I take a puffer but its still keeping me from exercise.

I am looking for things to reduce my boredom while I stay at my Aunt's for work on the weekend. Friday nights are not bad but Saturdays and Sundays are really bad. I come home Mondays. I think if my Aunt had internet I would do just fine but without it I get bored. I do read but sometimes I need a break.

I recognize some of the names on here so I am pretty sure I have been on this web site before and on the Canadian thread before. I am really glad I found you all again.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Was it actually 100 pounds???

YES, it was really 100 lbs ... and it had 40 liters, yes 40 liters of fluids inside of it. They couldn't lift it out straight away, so they put me on my side and rolled it out into a large bin, as they unattached it from my colon (which is fine, btw). I was fortunate that it wasn't attached to any of my major organs, but I did have to have a total/complete hysterectomy, as you might well have suspected. It went from just under my stomach/liver right down to my pelvis -- it was indeed "massive" as they said.

I THANK GOD every day for that brave doctor (DR. MAZURKA) and his medical team from the Juravinski Cancer Center in Hamilton, Ontario. They did a terrific job and I received excellent care by ALL the staff that looked after me as I recovered there (from all the nurses/orderly staff who were very kind and caring; plus the pain managers & doctors/teams; and the cleaning & kitchen staff too). I will be forever grateful for them all ... :hug:

LeanStrongSexy
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Rosebud, I am so glad surgery went well and you are doing better. If the tumor was 100lbs and had 40 ltrs how much weight in total did you lose having it removed. Do you have a before surgery weight and an after surgery weight?

LeanStrongSexy
03-25-2013, 06:03 PM
I did great on the weekend. When ever I got bored I ate light hummus and celery. I also went to bed early. Back home now, cooking a prime rib, they are on sale everywhere. Will be getting out and about tomorrow with my Dane Shadow. Going to try a little cardio and see if I can get through it without having coughing fits. My lungs have been wheezing for a few weeks now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Yes, they did weigh me before and I was weighed afterwards. I was about 260 lbs just before and 160 afterwards; now I am higher as they wanted me to eat more to gain as I was emaciated and weak. I look much better right now, although they said that a lot of what I gained was water weight.

I really hope I don't gain anymore and that will be the hardest part -- to find out how much I can eat now that the tumor is out, as the tumor was using up a lot of my calories each day. Now, I am trying not to munch so much, which has always been an issue for me.

Plus, they just want me to do walking for now until I am done the chemo as that is very hard on the body too. Then I will add in some more toning exercise like hand-weights, rowing, and biking, if I can do all that. We'll see. They don't want me to do the physio just yet either for the same reason.

NOTE: the tumor was full of liquid, so the 40 liters of fluids were inside the tumor. It burst when they were removing it. They couldn't lift the tumor out straight away, as it was too heavy, so they put me on my side and rolled it out. Then it ruptured into a very large rectangular bin, which they weighed also. They also had to separate it from my colon -- which is OK thankfully, there was no damage to it.

My Aunt's niece just had a cyst removed that also burst as they were removing it; just her's was smaller than mine, but similar in situation as her biopsy also showed signs of cancer cells so she has to have chemo too. These tumors are like large sacs that seem to be filled with some kind of bodily fluids.

You don't lose everything becuz you still have stretched out muscles and skin afterwards, although mine is doing well to re-shape itself at this time. My muscles have formed a small belly that looks like a small baby bump that goes up and down when I laugh or use my tummy muscles. But hey, if that's all I have to live with for now -- I won't complain one bit, although it would have been nice to have the skin removed. They couldn't do it at the time, as the other double surgery was hard enuff on my body as it was. :D

LeanStrongSexy
04-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Wow Rosebud, I am late coming to the info of your surgery. I would like to know what led them to finding it?

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, I went to my new doctor to ask him to see if there weren't any tests that could tell the difference between fat and something else, like a tumor. I had always suspected that something was wrong and had asked a previous doctor about that many years earlier -- at that time, he said that it was just fat and that I just needed to lose some weight.

Now, go forward 25+ years and I am losing weight while eating a normal amount of food, doing light exercise (mostly walking EOD); but my stomach seems to be getting bigger every year. I started to have other health problems, which were indeed caused by the tumor -- legs & feet swelling, skin discoloration, circulation problems, numbness & tingling, reproductive problems (miscarriages), high white blood cell count, low iron, nausea, dizziness, and continuing incontinence problems, etc.

So, I walk into the office and the first thing my doctor says is, "Oh my, you have lost a lot of weight; and your face and arms are so skinny. I am concerned that something has been missed -- would you mind if I run some tests?" I laughed and said "Not at all -- that's exactly why I am here. I came to ask if you could help me find out if this belly is really only fat or something else."

And, he took it from there, ordering many tests right away -- starting with the very next day. Interestingly, everyone I talked to (the workers that did the tests) felt there was a massive growth there. Obviously, it was destiny and answered prayers -- becuz I saw all the right people, at the right time to find this tumor. THANK YOU, GOD!!!

They found it in less than a week, which is shocking when you think about it. It was there for over 25 years but they didn't look for anything. If you don't look for something, you won't find it. Before that, they were blinded by their predjudice -- oh, just another fat person with a very fat belly.

However, once my body started losing weight and looked horribly sick, my new doctor decided to do something. I am sure he was hoping he was wrong, but I already knew he would find it. He said that later -- "you almost seemed to expect that." And I said that I had suspected it for many, many years but just didn't want to argue with every doctor I met that it wasn't just fat. My doctor apologized for the other doctors and the system that allows this to happen to too many people.

I have since met and heard from other people who have gone through the same thing as me. In my last chemo room, there were four of us who had been sick for some time and it was missed. Three of us had tumors that were missed!!! The doctors have to be more aggressive in this area, esp since the population is heavier and aging. They cannot continue to assume that everyone with a belly is just fat. Sadly, many of them have tumors that need to be removed sooner rather than later.

Now, that's not including the adjacent chemo room that had 12+ more patients getting chemo that day. I never had a chance to talk to them, but I do know that one man there, who is a friend of my BIL, also had tumors in his lungs. How long he had them is anybody's guess.

I think EARLY DETECTION is key for the best treatments & survival, so this is an area that needs to be improved upon for the sake of the patients and their families. And, for all the Conservatives out there -- think about the costs to the healthcare system that could be saved as well (short and long-term).

I think that certain cancers should be tested for at certain ages for everyone -- i.e. prostrate for any man 40+; colon cancer for everyone 45-50 years old (or earlier if there are symptoms/family history); and for other types of cancer like cervical/ovarian, even earlier depending on sex, symptoms, family history, and life-style experiences, etc.

I'd like to see general yearly check-ups for everyone; doing screening for probable health issues according to age and family history. I think more things could be nipped in the bud, so2speak. :)