100 lb. Club - Halloween Candy Pledge

View Full Version : Halloween Candy Pledge

time2lose
09-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I just saw the No Halloween Candy Pledge in the Living Maintenance Group and my husband has already brought some home, so I think it is time to make a plan.

Whether you are going to totally avoid the candy, limit your amount, or eat all you want, having a plan is helpful. I pledge that I will not eat one bite of Halloween candy this year. It has been too hard for me to get rid of sugar cravings to risk getting them started again.

So..... how are you going to handle Halloween Candy this year?

Elladorine
09-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Except for the occasional sugar-free package, I no longer buy bags of candy regardless of the occasion. If I am given candy by someone else, I'll enjoy it in small amounts (as long as it's a kind I genuinely like, as there's a lot of candy out there that just isn't worth the calories). ;)

missaprylj
09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Hmm... I hadn't even thought about this. Probably a good time to start! Thanks for bringing it up.

1spunkygal
09-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I'll try I hope not to slip into a coma but I LOVE CANDY !

The aftermath will so not be worth the feeling I'll have after.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/bee01/lb/225/125/201/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Brandnewday
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
My plan is to buy Kit-Kats for the trick or treaters, as I can leave them alone. I will eat no Halloween candy, and have asked my husband to keep any candy he buys for himself at the office. I am a Midnight Candy Ransacker, so I have to do what I have to do to protect myself! :o

mescelestus
09-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I am lucky that I can control myself around these things. I don't do trick or treaters, nor do I predict being around small children...SO? Maybe Halloween weekend I'll have a couple small pieces of candy, I'm not worried about it. I'm more worried about the drinking that comes along with Halloween in my age group.

time2lose
09-20-2012, 02:32 PM
My plan is to buy Kit-Kats for the trick or treaters, as I can leave them alone. I will eat no Halloween candy, and have asked my husband to keep any candy he buys for himself at the office. I am a Midnight Candy Ransacker, so I have to do what I have to do to protect myself!

We normally get about 200 Trick or Treaters so my husband likes to buy lots of candy. Of course, he is making sure that he has plenty of his favorites left. :) On my request, he puts the candy away some place where I won't see it everyday. That works well for us. He probably doesn't eat as much of it either since he can't eat it in front of me.

Quantum Sheep
09-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't know what my plan is for candy. It depends on if I make my Halloween challenge or not. If I do, I might have some candy. If I don't, I won't. I'll know the plan closer to the day.

NoSuchUser
09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I will only eat ONE piece, and only ON Halloween!

Here's how i will make that happen:
1. I will continue to indulge in my daily tiny square of dark
Chocolate.
2. For the trick or treaters, I'm only buying candy I don't like. Such as skittles, starburst, yuck.

Goddess Jessica
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I love this post on Halloween candy alternatives. I loved trick-or-treating as a kid but the fact of the matter is that I certainly would have loved non-candy stuff just as much as candy. It's not like the post is suggesting toothbrushes (which the local dentist gave out every year).

This blogger gave away glow sticks last year. Do you know what I would have given as a kid to get a glow stick? A lot of candy, that is for sure!

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/10/07/real-food-tips-20-ways-to-do-halloween-without-candy/

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Starting last year, we stopped giving out stuff becuz the year before we only had about a dozen kiddies come; each year, there seemed to be less & less. The parents drive the kids around now too, and they are very selective where they go (which is good really).

Plus, there are so many parties in our community & churches now that the kids go to them instead. We have a couple of houses on our street that really go all out with the decorations, lights, and candy (like we used to), but they still only get about a dozen or less kids with their own grandchildren.

So, no candy issues for me anymore ... When we were kids, there were a few people who use to give pennies with the candies. That was something for us becuz we had six kids and no extra funds. We used to make our own treats like candied or caramel apples; people don't do that much now.

I agree with JESSICA that some kids would like the small gifts; the last year we gave out candy, we included some spider rings in the bags too. :lol:

angelskeep
09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm lucky. No little ones at home, no trick or treaters in my neighborhood, and I work at home, so no candy corn and chocolate marshmallow pumkins here at all. I just use a grocery list and the only deviation is if I find veg or fruit on sale or meat that's marked down. I don't go down the aisles where the seasonal candy lives and I ignore all those displays of pumpkin shaped little debbies that are in the middle of the aisle.

I've recently started working in an occasional special dark candy bar. Only once in a while as a planned treat that fits into my plan. It seems to satisfy the chocolate cravings super well. I think the dark is more satisfying than regular chocolate.

I guess I will take the pledge, though it is almost like cheating for me since it's not really a challenge. When we get to Christmas cookies...BIG PROBLEM!

bARB

Natasha1534
09-21-2012, 09:02 PM
I vow not to have one piece of candy that's not sugar free this Halloween. :D

SMSDREAMER2007
09-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Alright I'll bite. I pledge not to have ONE piece of halloween candy. (I think I just set myself up for failure LMAO)

xirene
09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I'll join in. I pledge not to have even a single piece of Halloween candy. I dreamed about candy last week and woke up feeling guilty just for a dream...how lame is that? I can't imagine how horrible I'd feel if I had actually eaten some. *sigh*

Lishar
09-26-2012, 02:03 PM
I think I will have to abstain from any candy this year. Once I start then I don't want to stop. I will just have to have yummy snacks for me. Dried magno slices, frozen bluerries, 100 calorie ice cream bars. I will try my hardest to wait to buy candy until the day of Halloween. Then buy the stuff I don't really like. Then to keep out of my kids bag :0.

heathermichigan
09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Every year, I say I will only have a couple pieces, but every year I end up eating way more than I intended. I honestly think it is because it looks more innocent and fun than regular candy and I don't think of it the same way. (When I was younger and went trick or treating, it was always a free for all once I got home and the weeks until it was gone--maybe that's part of it.) So this year, I will have no candy. Not even one piece. If I want to fit candy into my plan, I will have regular candy (which I won't...I'd totally rather have a cupcake or a pumpkin spice latte for a splurge!!) ;)

lalique
09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm avoiding all candy this year! Hubby and I decided to take the kids to a halloween party this year instead of trick or treating. The halloween party is put on by the NICU at the hospital they were born in - its an invite only party just for children who were NICU babies, we went the last couple years and they always have healthy snacks instead of candy and lots of games. Plus we won't be home the night of halloween so I can avoid buying candy for the trick or treaters in my neighborhood! :)

Kymish
09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Realistically I know I am gonna want some candy so I've limited myself to 1 of those bite size choc bars a day for 3 days. And only if I keep up with my 4 mile daily walk before and during Halloween lol

angieand2girls
09-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm not touching the stuff this year! I always fall off the wagon in the month of October and it takes me like 5 months into the new year to get back on track. So I'm being EXTREMELY conscious of the winter months this year. :)

sluggerbean
09-30-2012, 03:48 PM
If I have any at all, I will limit it to one piece of dark chocolate!

SmallSteps
10-05-2012, 04:03 AM
I am not a fan of chocolate at all but man oh man do I love smarties :drool:

findingfawn
10-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Fighting the urge to not get into the kids candy is one of the hardest things on earth for me.... fighting it after I have had just one piece is impossible. Candy is like crack to me. I will just keep stuffing it in my mouth till it's gone and then soon I find myself Jonesin' for it all over the place.

My pledge is to eat NONE!

time2lose
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
My coworkers are decorating the offices for Halloween today, including bowls of candy sitting everywhere. I have reminded myself the I have chosen to not eat any candy. It will be easier for me to not start eating the stuff than to have to stop myself.

findingfawn
10-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Good Job Cheryl

I haven't touched any. My kids did a Candy Dance at a Pow Wow the other day and I was so proud to not have stolen any from their bags. It wasn't as hard to not touch it as I thought it would be.. it would have been way harder to stop at 1 (or 10). That was my teaser for all the candy that will make it's way into our house soon.

SmallSteps
10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I am so proud of everyone I on the other hand gave into the smarties :(

donna58
10-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I am waiting until the day of Halloween to buy candy. Hopefully there will still be some good stuff left out there in the stores but I just can't have it laying around. I will eat the whole bag. I did that last year and had to buy more.

ChickieBoom
10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I offered to bake Halloween cookies with some friends. I don't know how well I'm going to do with that but we'll see.

2times2much
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
No candy for me! We give out cans of root beer. If we get more than a case of pop given out, I would be surprised. (We live in a very small town of 400!) I do drink pop--diet pop, and can leave the rest alone without any trouble at all! Left overs will be there for whoever comes to visit. :D

This time of year it is really hard for me to pass up the candy corn and peanuts combo. It's just like a salted nut roll!

1049jess
10-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I already bought my Halloween candy and when I brought it home I buried it in the back of the freezer. I'll take it out on the morning of the 31st before I go to work so it will have time to thaw.
My strategy to avoid eating it all myself?
GIVE IT ALL AWAY TO KIDS.
The kids who come to my house late are going to be really lucky because I bought a lot of candy!

Lishar
10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Fighting the urge to not get into the kids candy is one of the hardest things on earth for me.... fighting it after I have had just one piece is impossible. Candy is like crack to me. I will just keep stuffing it in my mouth till it's gone and then soon I find myself Jonesin' for it all over the place.

My pledge is to eat NONE!

This is so me. I can't have just one. One becomes two then all of a sudden I have a pile of wrappers all around me. I used to buy the big container of candy corn several times before Halloween. Not anymore.

I like the idea of glow bracelets. I may try and get a few to put in with the candy. 10-15 for a $1. I usually keep some on hand because my kids love them.

Garnet2727
10-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I live in a neighborhood where there aren't a lot of kids. Last year, we only had two groups come to our door. So this year, we're going out to dinner. There won't be an halloween candy in my house. Since I'll be working from home that week, I won't have to deal with candy there either.

time2lose
10-20-2012, 06:46 PM
findingfawn and Lishar

Me too! I can't eat just one and it is so much easier to just not start!

Dreamer2012
10-21-2012, 06:18 AM
Since I'm in college that day, it will just be a normal day for me. So I pledge none. :)

findingfawn
10-21-2012, 07:39 AM
We spent the day yesterday at a fall festival at a boy scout camp for one of my boys. There was lots of candy floating around. I was determined to stick to my guns and not touch any. Well then it happened...as we walked along my son found a Reese PeanutButter cup on the ground. They are my absolute FAVORITE! I really thought about telling him since it was random on the ground he couldn't have it... but I knew it was safe (there was a candy scavenger hunt and some kid must have lost that one from his pocket). I also knew if I told him he had to give it to me I would have eaten it myself instead of throwing it away... I told him to go ahead and tear in.. and he did and loved every second of it.

Beverlyjoy
10-21-2012, 10:31 AM
This is a good question. I think we will be at our kid's home with our Grandkids at Halloween. I will have no control on what they have. I need to make a plan. Ultimately, I want to stay out of it as it could be a trigger.

I will make up some Halloween goodie bags for the kids in the neighbor. I've already got some Wendy's frosty coupons, stickers, pencils (for the bigger kids), spider rings, etc. I'll get some candy I don't like (is there such a thing. lol)and put some of that in right before we take them to kids. I will staple the bag.

I've told DH to NOT bring candy into the house, please.

I will come back to ready what everyone says later... gotta go.

Thanks cheryl/timetolose - for starting this thread.

Natasha1534
10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Went to a costume party Saturday night...didn't touch a single piece of Halloween candy. Woot woot!!!

findingfawn
10-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Made it through the huge Halloween parade without any candy. My kids have a bit here but it's theirs and it's staying that way!

time2lose
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
You are doing great Fawn and Natasha. I bought our candy yesterday and asked my son to put it away until Halloween. It is easier if I don't even know where it is.

Mimasaka
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm really glad I went apple picking the other day. I'll be visiting my parents this Sunday and I KNOW my dad will have a bunch of Halloween candy already. It's not like the world will end if I have a few fun size 3 Musketeers, but I know my penchant for (sometimes) going overboard on holidays. An apple I can at least eat and get my sweetness fix without feeling awful afterwards. :)

NEMom
10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Candy is like crack to me. I will just keep stuffing it in my mouth till it's gone and then soon I find myself Jonesin' for it all over the place.

THIS is ME!
Luckily, I have to work late on Halloween and my DH does not want to be in charge of answering the door and handing out candy so we are not even going to buy any.
The boys I have at home are too old to trick or treat and they do not need the candy at home either.

findingfawn
10-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Well, it looks like my kids may not be trick or treating next Wednesday thanks to (Hurricane?) Sandy.

Last year we had this fluke snow storm and got like 3 or 4 feet of snow on Halloween, they had trick or treating on Nov. 1st or 2nd to make up. I have never seen them move it for rain. Last time we got rained out we took the kids in costume to Walmart and let them each pick a bag of candy to share with their siblings (which proved profitable for them as a few truck drivers were there doing some shopping since it's right off the interstate ramp, and each gave each kid a buck or two), we came home and watched movies and had pizza. Kind of our own mini party. 2 years ago we had a HUGE Halloween party, I'm thinking an impromptu party may be in order for just a few of our friends. I don't know that I want a mess of candy bought just for my kids... it may be too tempting if they pick the good stuff.

MrsTryingAgain
10-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I had some candy corn....don't know why I can't resist that stuff. It's crazy. But that was BEFORE I started my program on the 5th. So far I've had no trouble walking past it in the stores! :-)
We don't get kids on Halloween, so it's easier to say no. It is usually the AFTER holiday sales that sucker me in. But this year will be different!
I did have a Vanilla Milky Way the other night when H was in the hospital. I was so stressed out. I totally fell "off the wagon" that night....cheeseburger, fries, soda & the candy bar. However, I was back on track the next morning. WOO HOO!!!

Trazey34
10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm a fan of the non-candy treats too! This year I have little bags with a Mini-Slinky & Mini-Silly Putty with a handful of candy I don't really love

Kids like it and it's not tempting to me....

Natlyne
10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't have kids and no trick or treaters, so my only issue will be at work, and all I want is 1 peanut butter cup. That's all I'm gonna have! :crossed:

cdcn13
10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I plan to make it through Halloween without eating any candy. Chocolate is a huge trigger for me and I am better off avoiding it. Hopefully we will get lots of trick or treaters and there will be no candy left.

findingfawn
11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Ok, so the kids have done their trick or treating and we have a HUGE pot of candy and chips and juice boxes. As in huge I'm talking my 28 quart canning pot!!!

Guess what... I cracked and had a peanut butter snickers (never heard of them and curiosity got the best of me)... then I had an almond joy.. then I had a peanut butter cup :(

I feel like a failure, but I also know it could have been way worse. I keep my daily calories low so I can have "splurges", but some things I really need to stay away from, and candy and peanut butter are the 2 biggest ones!

Natasha1534
11-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Blah, I failed at this, IJS I had some Smarties and a fun sized Snickers bar.