Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

Default Has anyone ever switched coaches?

I am curious. Upon signing up originally to join IP, I paid a $75.00 fee. (it was half price because I has attended an info meeting). we were led to believe that we would be coached throughout the program. Well...nothing. Absolutely nothing. No smile, no how are you doing, etc. You get the point. Anyway....can we switch IP locations without paying the join-up fees? There are other places here that offer IP (they are farther away), but I really do not want to pay that fee again! I would think that the IP company would allow you to go to any coach, but just not sure. Gosh....what if I moved and such? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and stick with them and come here for support, but having a real live person acknowledge your success would be a true joy!
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176.2/167.2/140

Height: 5'6"

iwiggy, I am sorry to hear that you are not getting the support you deserve.
I have found out myself that not all coaches are created equal.
I have found success when your coach can respond to you via text messages. then when you are out and about and have questions, you can fire them off and hope to hear from them soon. in my city there is one coach that wants to help. regardless of who your current coach is. she is like a guardian angel.
she is a coach to another friend who is on IP and she asks her how I am doing. which is nice because I can see different coaching styles and compare of the direction I am heading.

because of the nature of my work I decided to get off of IP right now and re-evaluate my life and how I want to work on my body, I don't feel this is a failure, I definately see the benifits of loosing weight and it is very costly to stay on IP!

I wish you lots of luck, love and understanding. and continued success on your weight loss.
mightyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default I can relate

I don't remember paying a sign-up fee. My husband and I made appts. and went in for first weigh-in and consultation. We both got a variety of food for the first week and that was all priced for us. We paid the cost of the food but no extra for signing up. And after 3 months we left the program - not very friendly "coaches," and they seemed to just want to sell the food. No atta boys, no measurements taken, just weigh-in, a push to buy food, and out the door. I see many people here have involved and concerned and HELPFUL coaches - that's great!
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I switched coaches and clinics without paying another fee.
It was by far the best move I made. I switched after the first 30 lbs lost, which at 3 months into Phase 1.

Write down/Think out the 3 things (or 1 or 2) that you are looking for in a coach (like a certain expertise or tough love or someone who responds to texts or just some one who is encouraging and weighs & measures each week). Call whichever other clinic appeals to you (maybe based on hours, distance, whatever). Just ask. Also ask about their food pricing as it can vary a little from clinic to clinic, and their policy around purchasing individual packets if that is important to you.

Call around until you find one willing to take you without a restart fee. They may request that you come to hear the seminar again.

It was stressful because of certain outside connections I had to the clinic I started with, but was so worth it. Considering your current situation, assuming you still have a few more weeks in Phase 1 and that you will want the guidance during Phases 3 and 4, it seems like it would be worth it for you, too.

Last edited by infoplease; 09-17-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #5  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Call around the couple places i called said No xtra fee just the cost of your food per week.
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #6  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I switched coaches very successfully. I don't remember paying a start up fee but even if I had, my new coach said she would be happy to take me on by just starting to order food from her in future. She is a combo weight and life coach so she has been awesome. She did IP and lost about 60lbs before she became a coach and she does a lot of quality research to answer all the complex questions I ask. I have been able to confirm a lot of information and whys that I hear on this site. As she is also a life coach, she has been great at getting into the emotions of weight gain and loss.

It may seem awkward at first or a challenge to find a new coach, but if you aren't happy with your situation now then make the leap. It can't get any worse but it could get a whole lot better.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/200/185

Height: 5'9"

I successfully switched coaches, as well. My original coach was pretty uninformed and she was not at all supportive. I switched to another coach in my 3rd week, and I truly believe it has made all of the difference in my success. My current coach is knowledgeable, wise, and I completely trust her. When I wanted to switch, I contacted her and explained the situation, and she waived the fee and just charged me for the food. A month or so later, she actually stopped carrying IP at her practice (she didn't agree with their business model) but she continues to coach me for a small weekly fee, and I buy my products on plainprotein.com and I also use alternatives from nashuanutrition.com. With the money I save on the products, it ends of costing the same as before, even with the coaching fee. Anyway, my point is, it is so important to have a coach that you like and trust, and the right coach will waive the fee.
Violetgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'5''

I switched coaches and it has been the best thing I have done for myself. My new coach actually measures me every week, while my old coach never did. Also, the coach I have now wants you to eat something different every day instead of eating the same three boxes of food each week. You have to do what is right for you and that you trust the person like people have said. Good luck!
Pink1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #9  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

At my clinic there are 2 coaches that work the same mornings, and I end up seeing whoever is free first. They both measure and spend a good deal of time reviewing the journal. My first meeting was with yet a 3rd coach because I came in on a different day. The only thing odd is they all handle the tape measure a little different, so I never know if the difference is my size or their technique. I think if I wanted to change coaches I would just pick a different time to schedule appointments. It may be because everyone at this clinic is OP or has been through the program is in Phase 4.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #10  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Lots of coaches in my area (Baton Rouge, LA). I originally made an appt. with one coach and didn't like the lack of response to questions and then she non-chalantly said "oh, you won't be meeting with me, you'll be meeting with my colleague". so I found someone else. She's been fine, but not a lot of "coaching" per se, but is very nice and encouraging and willing to answer questions by text and is flexible with me. I see her or one other lady who is also very nice and tries to be as helpful as she can. We'll see what happens in phase 3 & 4. Like many others, she didn't charge a start up fee. Just food and vitamins, and I can get mix and match items instead of buying whole boxes of one item. Only one place in the BR area charges a start up fee that I'm aware of, but it's a hospital and they do a work up on you and you consult with a nutritionist as your coach, so probably worth the extra. Bottom line: don't be shy to get a new coach!!! It's your life and your body and your money!!! We're on this program for a reason, and you need to get the support you deserve, cause it sure ain't cheap!!! LOL
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #11  
Restarter

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/130ish

Height: 5'4"

I switched coaches after my re-start. I got into a bit of a "tiff" with my first coach when I wanted a break and decided to phase off, but he told me I wasn't allowed to because I wasn't at my goal weight yet... well 5 months of IP, sometimes you need a break (or a beer!)

So anyway, I found out there was another coach in our city and went to her after a 6 month hiatus and she is WONDERFUL... very friendly, supportive adn does the texting as well.

She did charge me a bit of a start up fee (for the consulation, water bottle, etc) but nothing like what I had to pay the first time. I thought that was considerate. Hopefully you can find a deal like that?
Alba09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

Thank you to everyone that replied! It helps to know that it is possible to switch centers/coaches. My coach unfortunately just gives me a blank stare whenever I ask for advice. It's very sad actually. I feel that I am the type of person that NEEDS encouragement and advice to stay motivated. I will now look elsewhere. SO GLAD I have all of you here!
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote