Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Red Team 2012 Fall Back to Basics CHAT Thread Week 4 (09/17-09/23)

And here are the Red Team's Preliminary Results for week 3.

LeslieB (blue team co-leader) posts the official weekly results here

As a team we lost 16.2 pounds or 0.36%

Our Biggest Loser: Burg (-7 lbs, 2.65%)

Honourable Mentions: mamamiaa (-3 lbs, 1.54%)

narnia99 (-3 lbs, 1.36%)

hahnj (-2.8 lbs, 1.14%)

Well done everyone!

Now for some housekeeping issues:
We lost 4 team members, they had signed up, but never checked in after sign up.
We also have 2 members that have used both their freebies. If they miss another weigh in, they will be eliminated.

Last edited by CanadaMel; 09-16-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #2  

CONGRATS Burg, mamamiaa, Narnia, and hahnj for being the top losers for the Red team this week.

You guys are really rocking out the weight loss over here.

Great job everyone.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Way to go Burg, mamamiaa, Narnia, and hahnj! Can't wait for week 4!!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Congrats burg, mamamiaa, narnia, and hahnj!

Sorry I was up. I KNOW it's not fat, but I still can't figure out if my blips up are water or muscle. I'll just keep plugging away - and keep running.

Finger is not so good - I thought it was going to be OK, but when I took the mass of gauze off today, it started bleeding like crazy, as much as it was when I first cut it yesterday. So I went to urgent care after all. They steri-stripped it to death, and then wrapped it up tightly in gauze. It had been too long to stitch it, but I didn't want stitches anyhow. I'm just bummed I can't go to yoga class for a while.

Westcoast rosa - glad you enjoyed zumba! It looks fun, but I am terribly uncoordinated. I bought a dance dvd to try, and almost fell on my a** several times! Think I'll stick to what I'm better at for now.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY burg, mamamiaa, narnia, and hahnj! Wow, ya'all are doing very well......

Saw this quote today on TV:

"IT TAKES UNSPECTACULAR PREPARATION TO GET SPECTACULAR RESULTS".

This quote is from former NFL football player Roger Staubach -- us OLDER ladies can remember him....he has aged well by the way....

But that quote has a lot to say about what Burg, Mamamiaa, Naria, Hahnj, and others -- thinking of you Riddy and Mel from the previous challenge are doing....

From that quote I see it is the UNspectacular day in day out work, the nutrition, the working out, the small and UNspectacular challenges you conquer, the habits you have slowly changeds that lead to SPECtacular results.

Thank all of you for your supportive and helpful responses to my situation. Today has been better, but has been a down day due to a migraine....

So, I need to Fall Back to Basics....and I really did listen to your suggestions and am going to do some baby steps....the first one is to get on top of calories/nutrition and track it on fitday, and then do some type of movement...

Riddy -- concerned about that finger -- and SO GLAD you went to urgent care -- that sounds like a nasty wound....fortunately fingers heal fast....hang in there...

So, question to all: What "system" are you using for your nutrition, such as, calorie counting, medifast, low carb, etc....

I'm going to fall back to basics on calorie counting, trying to eat well, but eat enjoyably and stay in the range of 1,500 to 1,800 per day...and try to optimize nutrition while doing so.

And i'm going to remember to drink more water -- noticed my water consumption really went to heck in the last few weeks...

Have a great Day!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Congrats to Burg, mamamiaa,narnia99 & hahnj!

Sorry I missed the weighin. I was away from the internet. Not that I would have had a loss to post anyway.

Had a rough week at work, which naturally transistioned to a bad week of dieting. I'm committed to getting back on the wagon and really getting into it this week.

My focus for this week
1. water: 80oz/day
2. exercise: 30min/day
3. diet: <1400 calories/day

Last edited by MonteCristo; 09-18-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #7  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

WAY TO GO BIG RED!!!! AWESOME WEEK!!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #8  

Good for you on getting back on track, Elizabeth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth779 View Post
So, question to all: What "system" are you using for your nutrition, such as, calorie counting, medifast, low carb, etc....
I am not on a program, but I am focusing on whole real foods (as much as possible) and portion control because I think this is sustainable for me long term.

Prior to starting my weight loss journey, the meals I ate were actually really healthy. We are vegetarian, don't eat fast food, make home cooked meals, etc. My major downfall was HUGE portions and secret binging at work.

Since starting this journey, I now eat the appropriate serving size and don't go for seconds. I have also managed to not binge in almost 3 months! I attribute this to not purchasing my trigger foods and to running. When I run I am happier than I have ever been and I want to fuel myself with nutrition, not junk.

I suggest you do whatever works for you and that you can do long term. Find an activity that you love and want to do. You will be less likely to make excuses to skip it.

You can do this! Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #9  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: see ticker

I'm with westcoastrosa. I try to eat wholesome foods and watch what I eat. I just started C25K which is a running program for couch potatoes. I use a fitness journal app to record everything too and that has helped a ton.

I'm so excited to get an honorable mention go team go!!!

Workouts are going great and I'm eating within my calorie limit. I hope to see 190 on the scale very soon!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #10  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Way to go team! I wasn't anyhelp this week and used one of my freebies to save us from my weigh gain over the weekend. I had poor self control that was hormone and emotional based.. which is no excuse... but i plan i kicking myself into high gear this week and making up for it!

My fiance is a carpenter and due to a lot of rain last week he hardly got any hours, which means not much money this week. I couldn't buy my usual healthy necessities this week and it makes it hard to stay on plan when i have to resort to whatever is in the pantry sometimes. but i will prevail!

my plan is to chug water and no after dinner eating!!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #11  

Well my IT band is still bothering me, so I had to resort to the elliptical
for the second time instead of going on my run . My 8k race is in less than 3 weeks and I really miss running, so here's hoping the stretches and massaging pay off soon!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #12  

Today will be a major test of strength for me today. For 3 hours this afternoon I am at a government fund launch (essentially begging for money for our non-profit organization ). To entice possible funders to my table, one of the things I have been given is a HUGE bowl of mini chocolate bars!

In years past I have eaten at least 15-20 pieces (close to 1000 calories ) during the event, but this year will be different. I have looked up the calorie content and a mini caramilk has the lowest (50) calories, so I will allow myself two, but will aim to have just one. I know I can do this!!

Last edited by westcoast rosa; 09-18-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Hello team-
Hope everyone is doing well on this Tuesday.
My butt is dragging today...must try to get to bed earlier.

Westcoastrosa- sorry about the IT band woes. I keep reading about stretching & foam rolling. Not sure what else to recommend

Mountainmama- I like your plan
Quote:
my plan is to chug water and no after dinner eating!!

Mamamiaa- you're on a roll- keep up the great work!

Riddy- sometimes our bodies hold onto stuff (weight, water, etc) and then they lose it just as mysteriously. Sometimes I wish it would be nice if we could say, well, this 0.5lbs of weight is due to you not drinking enough water while doing this activity etc. but then I guess we'd be robots & not human

Burg- all that hardwork from the previous week paid off in a huge woosh! Hooray!!

Rainbow-

Elizabeth- when I first started on this journey- I logged everything that I ate. I used an app called lose it and before that just a small notebook. It wasn't easy logging food, in fact I hated it, but I did it until I could recognize what a 'normal' amount of calories for a day was. I tend to eat what I want and focus on portions. If I want some chips, I will count out the 15 chips for 200 calories, rather than open the bag and eat the whole thing as I used to. Sometimes I still do this, but if I do choose to binge I try to make a 'healthier' choice & choose chips like Cheechas or Pop Chips where a whole bag is 400 calories.
I don't focus on how bad I was for a meal or a day. Just own up to the decisions you've made and move on.
I wear my pedometer religiously and aim for 10,000 steps/day, just to make sure I am moving.

Hope this info helps- this is just my approach and it seems to work for me. I also found it helpful to read books/blogs by people who have lost weight and what works for them and try to incorporate methods that appeal to me.

Have a great day all!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 226/226/140

Height: 5'4

Burg for being our BL this week. 7lb is amazing, wtg!
congratulations to mamamiaa and hahnj as well :clap:

So far this week has been ok. I didn't workout yesterday but I am going to today for sure. I felt so tired lately so I'm finding it hard to get going. I've been doing well with my food and calories though.

Riddy - I'm glad you got your finger looked at. It sounds painful, hope it heals quickly.

Elizabeth - I log my foods and count calories. I use the website Loseit.com, (and the app), to keep track of everything. At first it was a pain logging everything, but now it's become a routine so it doesn't both me anymore. Also, if you tend to eat the same foods/meals like I do, it's definately easier to track.

WestCoast Rosa - Sorry that you still aren't able to run. You are doing the right thing by taking some time off to heal.

Mamamiaa - The c25k is an awesome program. Good luck!

Mel- My butt has been dragging today too! I'm such a night owl but I pay for it in the day. My goal for this week is to get to bed earlier.

Have a wonderful day everyone

Last edited by Narnia99; 09-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #15  
Jigglypuff

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the congrats all! I am fully mentally prepared to be stuck this week as a result

Life is business as usual here. I'm designing set for a play this fall, and we have our first design meeting this week, which I am looking forward to.

Classes are getting into their rhythm and the social life is back into full swing! This means eating out more often, unfortunately, but I've been making good choices. That is, until this Thursday when I'm going to my favourite restaurant...it has lobster mac and cheese! I'm only so strong! Thankfully the restaurant has some sense and only gives you a teeny tiny portion.

I hope everyone's week is going well so far!