Weight Loss Support - Just For A Week Challenge

View Full Version : Just For A Week Challenge

Amarantha2
04-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Ok, listen up! :drill: The short explanation: This is not meant to compete with any other thread and I'll ramble on in my usual places. Just thought it'd be nice to ask ourselves if we really want to do this (e.g., loss or maintain a healthy weight and/or fitness level) and then do it! :drill:

:drill: Proposing: Declare a one-week set of weight management (or diet) behaviors and then STICK TO THEM (NO EXCUSES ALLOWED, NONE, NADDA, FORGET ABOUT IT!)!!!! Post short, focused me-me reports each day on where we are with those goals. (I can be short, really!) :drill:

:drill: My feelings will NOT be hurt if no one posts here ... I'll do it anyhoo! :) It's just meant to be an extra push to Easter and a chance to test our commitment as to whether we wanna do this thing and how much we are willing to get with a program to get it! :drill:

Amarantha2
04-13-2003, 12:45 PM
I am challenging myself to the basic program I've been on for a few weeks!

Calories: 1500s-1800s, with 1700s or less preferred; calorie count runs midnight to midnight with NO sneaky adding any overages in to the next day.

Exercise: Go to gym each day it's open (closed Sundays and holidays) and continue my personal goal to do 365 gym days ... Monday will be Day 17.

I'll report back here tomorrow as follows:

Day One

Calories 0000, Met Challenge? Yes/No

Exercise: Went to Gym? Yes/No/Gym Closed

Gym Days Since Joined: 16

Angel26519
04-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Ok This Sounds Like a Great Challenge for Me!!!! I am at crunch time for my wedding on May 3rd.

I will officially start my challenge tomorrow (Monday).... since I have basically blown the whole food thing today already and am disappointed in myself.

20 Days and Counting!!!!!

GOALS FOR WEEK OF APRIL 14-20, 2003

GYM: M-F (am) 30 Minutes Cardio and Half of Circuit Training (Upper or Lower Body)..... (gym may not be open on Good Friday - not sure)

BREATHING: Do Breathing Exercises Twice a Day for a total of 80 deep breathings..... (this helps to reduce stress and also to increase lung capicity amoung other things!)

WALKING: Walk the dogs at least once a day for 1 1/2 miles.

HIKING: Hike Stone Mountain 2 times this week.

YOGA & PILATES: Take yoga Monday Night and Do Pilates Tuesday and Thursday.

FOOD PLAN: Before Gym: A Piece of Fruit After Gym: Bowl of Total Cereal Mid Morning Snack: Cottage Cheese Lunch: Brown Rice, Veggies, Chicken or salad with chicken Early Afternoon Snack: Yogurt Late Afternoon Snack: Piece of Fruit Dinner: Brown Rice, Veggies, Chicken, Jello Evening Snack: 100 calorie sweet (which makes the calorie intake about 1500 calories a day).

WATER: Drink 10 Glasses of Water a day.

SLEEPING: 7 hours a night.

I know it sounds as if I am being militant but I need this focus with all this right now... and now I can see it in print...

Thanks for starting this Amarantha!!!!!

Wildfire
04-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Amarantha and Angel, I'll join you! I had already set tomorrow as a Fresh Start day, so this is perfect timing! I've been feeling rather unwell with my IBS the last two weeks, and I am ready to get back on track. Warm weather is fast approaching and I really want to lose 10lbs to start with, with an eventual goal of 30lbs.

So, this week I pledge to:

Journal every day - maybe I'll use FitDay for this
Plan meals ahead of time to prevent eating anything that doesn't move fits
Get in 6-8 glasses of water
Walk 2 miles on the treadmill every day, minimum
Take my vitamin every day
I will NOT SUCCUMB to Easter chocolate!

Here's to a Fresh Start and a Successful Week!

Arabella
04-14-2003, 08:01 AM
A week might be easier to commit to than 21 days right now. And, of course, one week leads to another :) Recovering from incapacitating stiff sore neck from last week, so I'm looking forward to feeling better!

Here's what I'm committing to for this week:

Journal every day
Meditate every day (this is something I've been meaning to do and will really help. But I need to commit myself to it, or I just won't!)
10-8 oz. glasses of water
3 sets of yoga
3 sets of tai chi
3 sets of circuit training
3 45-minute walks
No white stuff: sugar, white flour, rice, or pasta (exception: wine at Easter brunch, but NO dessert)
7-9 veggies/fruits a day
Stay within WW points limit, which works out to about 1450 calories, only with more added on for exercise.
Do something just for fun, every day.

All right, then. Let's go!

Amarantha2
04-14-2003, 08:58 AM
ATTENTION!!! Short and focused welcomes to Angel, Wildfire and Wood Nymph Arabella to the ONE-WEEK BOOT CAMPY, NO EXCUSES, ABSOLUTELY CAN-DO CHALLENGE!

My Report on Day One

Calories 1765, Met Challenge? Yes

Exercise: Went to Gym? Gym Closed

Gym Days Since Joined: 16

ON TO DAY TWO, CAN DO!

:drill:

morrigan
04-14-2003, 04:23 PM
A one week challange sounds great. On my own I haven't made it past 1 or two days in ages.

Here we go.

1500 calories

at least 20 minutes of some kind of exercise.

Spend some time working outside each day.

Not to worry about posting too much. Hopefully I will be here several times daily and you will all be sick of me by the end week.

So far today
Oatmeal -- 150 calories
Apple - 90
Tuna Salad - 200
rice poof thing - 70
2 red vines - 80
3/4 cup of milk - 60
strawberries - 50
cottage cheese - 150
apple 90
Total = 1040

dinner:
cauliflower soup 100
feta cheese 90
banana 100
1/2 small glass wine 50

Total 1380

Haven't exercised yet and haven't been outside.

Angel26519
04-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Ok So far for today.....

Food: Banana - 90 calories
Total w/ milk - 270 calories
Cookies w/milk - 380 calories :nono: :mad:
Tuna Sandwich - 325 calories

So as you can tell with the food I have been bad :( I have only 400 calories left and I havent had dinner..... I hope I can get there....

Gym: Warm Up Cardio - 10 min
Upper Body Circuit - 30 min
Cardio - 25 min
Stretch - 10 min

Gym Time was good!!!!! Proud of myself there.....

Breathing: I have done about 10 Deep Breaths so far.... have 30 yet to do

Glad to see everyone else here.....

Wildfire
04-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Getting through day one without any problems (yet!). Calories for the day are at 1707 according to FitDay. Haven't eaten supper yet, but those calories are planned and included. Then it's on to ye old treadmill for a couple of miles, to be followed by doctor-prescribed back exercises for this pain in the back of mine. Have to pop my multi-vitamin with supper and get in a couple more glasses of water, which won't be a problem after doing the treadmill!

Morrigan, nice to see you around...it's been ages since I saw you post.

Amarantha, I think this just might work! :yes:

:wave: to Arabella and Angel

Amarantha2
04-15-2003, 01:21 AM
It WILL work, Wildfire, because WE ARE WORKING IT!!! Woo-hoo!!! Can we succeed? You bet!!! :drill: :strong: :jig:

Welcome, Morrigan!!! :wave: It be good to see thee on the board!

I'm posting this one hour and 45 minutes before the day is over but I have to start way early tomorrow and likely won't be able to post until evening.

My Report on Day Two

Calories 1810, Met Challenge? Yes

Exercise: Went to Gym? Yes

Gym Days Since Joined: 17

Am I fantastic or what?!

:drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill:

Arabella
04-15-2003, 05:56 AM
Yes! Made it through Day 1. And, I may say, there were a number of times that I might have gone off-plan, but didn't because I reminded myself of my commitment.

Here's yesterday:

Journal every day - check!
Meditate every day (this is something I've been meaning to do and will really help. But I need to commit myself to it, or I just won't!) - I did, and solely because of the challenge
10-8 oz. glasses of water - check!
3 sets of yoga
3 sets of tai chi
3 sets of circuit training
3 45-minute walks - I didn't exercise, but I have the week to get this in.
No white stuff: sugar, white flour, rice, or pasta (exception: wine at Easter brunch, but NO dessert) - check!
7-9 veggies/fruits a day - 7
Stay within WW points limit, which works out to about 1450 calories, only with more added on for exercise. - check (29 points)
Do something just for fun, every day. - listened to loud music, while doing dishes. What a crazy woman!

All right, then. Let's go! On with today! :wave: Hello to All Challengers!

Angel26519
04-15-2003, 08:12 AM
GYM: M-F (am) 30 Minutes Cardio and Half of Circuit Training (Upper or Lower Body)..... (gym may not be open on Good Friday - not sure)Check 35 min cardio; Upper Body Circuit; 15 min Warm Up :)

BREATHING: Do Breathing Exercises Twice a Day for a total of 80 deep breathings..... (this helps to reduce stress and also to increase lung capicity amoung other things!) 1/2 check - did get 50 Deep Breaths in)

WALKING: Walk the dogs at least once a day for 1 1/2 miles. missed - BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

HIKING: Hike Stone Mountain 2 times this week.

YOGA & PILATES: Take yoga Monday Night and Do Pilates Tuesday and Thursday. Didnt get to the yoga class because I had to do something for the wedding so I will do a yoga video this week

FOOD PLAN: Before Gym: A Piece of Fruit After Gym: Bowl of Total Cereal Mid Morning Snack: Cottage Cheese Lunch: Brown Rice, Veggies, Chicken or salad with chicken Early Afternoon Snack: Yogurt Late Afternoon Snack: Piece of Fruit Dinner: Brown Rice, Veggies, Chicken, Jello Evening Snack: 100 calorie sweet (which makes the calorie intake about 1500 calories a day).
Banana - 90 calories; Total w/ milk - 270 calories;
Cookies w/milk - 480 calories; Tuna Sandwich - 325 calories
Bourbon Chicken and Mac and cheese - 625 calories; Cookies w/milk - 410 calories SO I HAD ABOUT 2200 Calories :( :( :(

WATER: Drink 8-10 Glasses of Water a day. 8 Glasses- Check

SLEEPING: 7 hours a night. 7 hours - Check

I blew it on the food.... Keith brought home these fudge covered graham cookies home sunday that have just called my name!
Which I dont even know why he brought them home because he is now on a diet and hasnt eaten any of them.... UGH!!!!!! Anyway, going to do much better today!!!!!
;) ;) :dizzy: :dizzy:

Wildfire
04-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Calories for yesterday were reduced to 1567 because I didn't have the fruit and cool whip I had planned. Burned 200 calories on the treadmill, so total for the day was 1367. Finished my water, took my vitamin, and was in bed at 10:15pm. Hooray! :cb:

Day two is going to be a scorcher with temps in the 28 C range! Off to a good start, had my calcium supplement with my bagel and already have 16 oz of water in.

*whoohoooo*

morrigan
04-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Today
oatmeal -150
1/2 small sandwich - 150
1/2 cup chicken noodle soup 90
1/2 small sweet roll 100
1 glass red wine 120
spinach salad with 50
chicken 200
dressing 50
croutons 100
feta 100
avocado 300
more wine 120

= 1430

no exercise - but very busy - taking the baby to visit cousins.

snack - sweet potatoe - 300 more calories

Wildfire
04-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Just on my way to the treadmill to burn 200 calories. Total for the day is 1438 (less 200 burned = 1238)

Getting the last of the water in, and all is done for the day! :cb:

Amarantha2
04-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Yo! No more eating for the night so I'm reporting in now as follows:

My Report on Day Three

Calories 2245, Met Challenge? No :(

Exercise: Went to Gym? Yes :)

Gym Days Since Joined: 18

Didn't hit target on food (long story and I'm pledged to be brief and offer no excuses), but because of this commitment was able to stop the urge to binge and this splurge was lower than last week's highest calorie day. My total score on this challenge so far:

2.5 hits/.5 misses

Morrigan: Congrats on your son! Don't feel like Lone Ranger on the regain thing! But we can reverse the reverses!

Challengers!!! If I may digress from brevity for a brief reminder that WE CAN DO THIS! Really, we are so there!!! We're set! You bet!!!! Over and out!

Arabella
04-16-2003, 05:57 AM
A fly-by to report completing Day 2 - yahoo! Today and tomorrow are both going to be crazy busy, so I may not be able to check in for a couple of days. Stay strong!

Angel26519
04-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Did Pretty Good on Day 2.... only thing I missed was on the food... again.... I ate 1852 calories....

Gotta Run!!!

deleted2
04-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Can I join in? I need some extra focus right now. I haven't done badly lately, but I feel like something is just "off" somewhere. I think I'm bored, maybe?

So I'll be posting my food/exercise in my 3FC journal. And if you don't see an entry that means I've fallen off the wagon and you have my permission to give me all shades of ****!
And I want to keep my body guessing by doing lots of different workouts. Here's what I have to choose from now: walking, Pilates, yoga, bellydancing, tae bo, dumbell routines, and if I get really bold I'll try the weight machine that's languishing in the basement. So I've got plenty there to keep me sweating!
Too much mindless eating lately, and my water intake is low, and I haven't been eating much fruit lately. I know what to do, I just have to be more vigilant about making a daily plan.

Amarantha2
04-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Day 4 & counting, doing fantastic, took class instead of treadmill for aerobics today, calories looking good so far. Advice: Don't ever move your scale. My new one was doing so well; moved it today, broke rule of not getting on except for Sunday; up 2.4 pounds!! :yikes:

Welcome, Eydie, thou canst ALWAYS join in and we won't give thee h*** ... but this is a NO EXCUSES challenge, so no falling off wagon allowed.

I'm trying to be brief but I'd like to say something I've wanted to for a long time and that's to make a plea for anyone who wants to to not feel they can't post their food and exercise here ... I love the journals but the idea of a weight loss forum is to focus on and share what we are doing to lose or maintain the weight. I, for one, don't often have time to both post and go to the journal page but I long to see how challengers are accomplishing their goals. So if anyone is posting on the journals because they don't want to bother the thread with specifics, I (speaking only for me) would love to see the specifics right here ... anyhow we're only doing a week so how much cyberspace can we take up? :)

We've been doing well at remaining on topic and being focused!!! (Even me!)

Ok, returning to brevity, be back tomorrow with my report on Day 4!!

morrigan
04-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Day 3

oatmeal - 150
lattle - nonfat -100
sub sandwich - turkey - no mayo -300
small slice peach cake -200
muffin- 200
grape juice - 100

1050 so far 2:45 pm

another muffin - 200
a glass of wine - 200
a shrimp salad -300

1750 calories and I went to the gym!

Wildfire
04-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Calories are at 1637, plan to burn 200 on the treadmill. Don't know what calories I might burn doing those back exercises, but I'm not worried about counting them. I've found that by getting on the treadmill at 8pm when my favorite nightly tv show is on that I can watch and walk at the same time. I feel too guilty now just sitting on the couch watching! Another 16oz of water and my day is complete.

Eydie, glad you joined us! This is working for me, hope it does for you, too.

Amarantha, I don't post my food journal here because I log it all into FitDay. Takes the guesswork out, for the most part, and I like being able to see the neat little graphs and reports. It is where I discovered that I am under the recommended daily intake for a lot of vitamins and minerals, and that's why I made taking my multi-vitamin part of this challenge!

Keep up the great work, girls! :cb:

Arabella
04-17-2003, 06:13 AM
Hmmm... I've been journalling at "journaltosuccess" but it would be easier to do the one-stop shop thing. I think that's what I'll do after today, because the next several weeks are going to be tremendously busy. Plus it's great for accountability to put it all out there for people to see.

Yesterday I met all targets - woo-hoo! On with today...

deleted2
04-17-2003, 06:30 AM
Good morning!

I have to dash of to work in a few minutes, so no time to work out this AM. Just for fun, I'm going to post my exercise plan for today and will check in later to tell you if the plan became reality!

4 miles treadmill
30 min. Pilates video
30 min. bellydance video

And I also plan to stay away from all empty calories at work today. [I'm the cook there and it's all so accessible.] Wish me luck!:D

Amarantha2
04-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Yo! Clarification ... didn't mean either that anyone should feel OBLIGED to journal on the thread ... just that in past I've felt some people felt they ought to do it somewhere else and I've wanted to encourage them to share here if it suits them. I don't usually because my nutrition s***s bigtime and also I just journal calories in a notebook and sometimes forget what I actually ate. Maybe sharing my menu should be my goal for another bootcampy week! :)

Wildfire: FitDay is cool but for me it's too many clicks ... I'd love to get that on a Palm Pilot to take with me in the day! Hmmm! :)

My Report on Day Four

Calories 1745, Met Challenge? Yes

Gym Days Since Joined: 19

WOOO-HOOO!!! WE CAN DO!!!

On to day 5! Luck to Eydie in staying away from all empty calories! (Luck to us ALL in that endeavor!)

deleted2
04-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Happy to report that I met my workout goals!:D

4 miles treadmill [60 minutes]
30 min. belly dance video [nothing too aerobic, just learning some basic moves]
20 min. Pilates video
20 min yoga [a bonus!]

And don't tell, but I treated myself to doing some crazy free-form dancing in my living room too!

I'll post my food in my journal later. The day's not over yet--but so far so good. What a difference a day makes--I already feel stronger and dare I say, thinner! I'd like to keep my calories around 1500 calories most days.

I'll check in later. How's everybody doing?

morrigan
04-17-2003, 04:50 PM
I can't believe it. 4 days on track - it feels like a miricle. I avoided quesadillas for lunch at my grandparents - ate one slice instead of a 2 large tortillas worth. Had an apple and a spinach salad with fat free dressing when I got home.

so far for the day
oatmeal - 150
slice of quesadilla ? 80
apple - 100
spinach salad - 40

so far today - 370 calories

I am planning on going to the gym also. It is really silly - I send them $75 a month but havn't gone more than a handful of times since Wil (7 months old) was born. They even have a daycare right there. I work from 8-11 every day and mostly don't want to drive back into town. My new plan is to hit the gym every day at 4:00 even if it is only for 30 minutes. I feel really great that I made it there yesterday.

Wildfire
04-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Did okay today, though had to eat out tonight at a farewell party for two co-workers. Had a half portion of an open-faced chicken sandwich and just picked at a few fries. Even passed on a beer and had ice water.

Calories for the day are at 1425, with estimates for what I ate for dinner at the restaurant. I'm going to add a few strawberries as a snack, and with what I burn on the treadmill I should still be okay even my estimates are off.

Angel26519
04-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say did Good on Day 3 ........ Running late talk to you later....

Amarantha2
04-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Yo! I'm reporting Day 5 early as I'm totally committed to making it through and know I will. As :queen: V. saith, we aren't entertaining any o' them failure thoughts here!

My Report on Day 5:

Calories 1810, Met Challenge? Yes

Exercise: Went to Gym? Yes (upper body/core/cardio)

Gym Days Since Joined: 20

Over and out!!!!

:drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill:

Wildfire
04-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Feeling like I'm in control again! A BIG thank you to Amarantha for this thread....it's working!!

Since Good Friday is a holiday in Canada, I am free from work and able to get my treadmill time in early. *yippeee*

Amarantha2
04-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Fly-by me-me post to report I've completed 21 gym days (not consecutive 'cause there be no Sundays)! Will be back with full report anon! In meantime, I'm focusing on this guy:

:drill:

P.S. The week be almost over and thanks be to all for participating, 'cause I'd be off it by now for sure if thou all hadn't!

Wildfire
04-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Day five, almost done! Calories for the day at 1507 (after treadmill).

Just two more days, then I'll weigh in and see what Demon Scale thinks about all this!

Amarantha2
04-19-2003, 10:01 AM
My Report on Day Five/Friday

Calories 1870, Met Challenge? Yes

Gym Days Since Joined: 21

Hoping for a lowish cal day to round out the week but will be happy just sticking to the challenge. Will post a new week tomorrow for anyone who wants to do this again ... a new thread sweeps clean ... brief, on topic and HOORAH, OVER AND OUT, CAMPERS!!!

Let's keep this guy in mind in case we're tempted to go OP Saturday: :drill:

:drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill:

morrigan
04-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks aramantha -

day 6 nearly over and I have even survived a dinner party and a night at my folks house. I have lost about 3 lbs and am felling really great.

Things are starting to come together.

Wildfire
04-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Squeaking by on Day 6! Had a fast-food encounter at lunch but saved the day with salad for supper.

Will weigh in tomorrow morning. I'm re-starting tomorrow, counting it as Day One because I started this week a day late.

Hope to report good results, and hear about all of yours! :wave:

Amarantha2
04-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Forgot I had one more report for this week! Will start a new thread tomorrow with a Demon Scale update and new goals!

My Report on Day Six/Saturday

Calories 2030, Met Challenge? No :( (Do we want to hear my excuse for this? Heck, no!)

Exercise: Went to Gym? Yes :)

Gym Days Since Joined: 22

Average calories for the seven days: 1899

Challenge Hits: 12/Challenge Misses: 2

Can I give 100 percent to the next week's challenge?

See motto below!!!! :jig: :drill:

Wildfire
04-20-2003, 07:55 AM
I am reporting an official loss of 3lbs for the first One-Week Challenge! :dance: :dance: :dance: (And yes, I did the obligatory three weigh-ins in different areas of the bathrooms to make sure the digital demon scale didn't vary!)

Average calories eaten for the week were 1559 (not deducting what was burned in exercise). I need to work on getting more protein in, as the average was 18%. Mygoal for this week was to keep the carbs around 50%. Carbs are my safe foods with my gut problems, and I can easily eat nothing but bread, pasta, etc. if I don't pay attention. Average carbs for the past week came in at 45%!

I'm calling this week a success, and looking forward to a brand new week!

:cb: :dancer:

deleted2
04-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Wildfire, You're the queen! 3 pounds!:D How cool is this?

I'm starting again tomorrow too. I have a busy week ahead and will be surrounded by food but I can do this--I HAVE to do this!
Where's my wand?:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Amarantha2
04-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Yo Wildfire, WTG!!! Have a banana! :cb: Have three! :cb: :cb: :cb:

:wave: to all! The :drill: hath started a new thread ... I think I shall paste Wildfire's final report over there as well, if that's ok?

Amarantha2
04-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Morrigan also reported a 3-pound loss above! :cp: Woo-hoo and WTG to Morrigan! :drill:

Morrigan: I'm reposting yours on the other thread as well, if that's ok?