Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

Default help, my body is gaining weight for no reason...

This might sound stupid - I mean there is ALWAYS an underlying reason why someone starts gaining weight, but I do not understand what is going on these last few weeks.
Because of life events (job changes and so on) I have been trying to simply maintain weight if not lose a little before having the mental time to truly get serious and dive into a plan again.
typically in the past my body has been good about maintaining a certain number - not a number I've liked, but it seemed to find its "sweet spot" there and keep things there. But these last weeks, every once in a while I would step on the scale to check on things and have been alarmed each time. the number just keeps climbing higher and higher and higher. Has my body lost its mind?
I'm eating mostly healthy things - fruits, vegetables, etc - I dont feel STUFFED (which is what I usually feel pretty often for my body to gain weight), I try to drink water etc... but my body just seems to be wanting to break new grounds.

this is having me alarmed a little. is my metabolism taking a new hit with age? (I'm 37). Is something else going on? It just feels like based on what I'm doing I should not be gaining weight, but the pounds just keep adding on. is my scale broken?

All things considered maybe I need to get on a plan a little sooner in all this alarm.
I was just wondering if that has ever happened to anyone.
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

you know, I actually just had a checkup the other week and everything is in norm. It must just be a slowing metabolism? Either that or I'm eating in my sleep and am unaware of it.

Dang. why oh why is increasing age so NOT conducive for loosing weight and looking good. I wish people just grew up and then looked good the rest of their life with no such thing as "aging" with age.
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, there probably is a reason this is happening if you look a bit closer. You said in another thread that you have been hitting the gym hard, doing some intensive work there. There's a clue. Whenever you start lifting heavy weights and/or doing an intensive amount of exercise, you can hold water-weight.

Some people can even gain a few lbs in muscle weight, esp at the beginning (so I have been told). I know that happened to me in my first stint at the gym -- I gained 10 lbs in muscle weight, but lost over 2 sizes in my clothes and dozens of inches over my whole body.

Plus, you have not told us exactly how much you are eating and drinking. We need to know the numbers to help you with that. Aging can slow your metabolism down a bit; meaning you may need less calories each day to maintain your weight. You also have to watch how much salt you eat as that can cause your body to hold water too.

So can your hormones, even if you are 37 years old; unless you have gone into early menopause for some reason. Again, that can cause you to hold a few lbs in weight too, although that should be only temporary.

EDIT2ADD: I just remembered that some medications and illnesses can cause some people to gain weight too (although you didn't mention that in your post). Plus, there is a phenomenon called "Rebound Weight" where someone has been eating really low calories (say only 800 a day), then they binge or up their intake to 1200 or more. This can cause you to rebound or regain some weight. It will take some time for the body to adjust to the increase and level out.

Sooo, now you can see that there may be several reasons, and/or a combination of things going on here. You need to track what you are eating and drinking (meaning, write it all down) so that you can figure out what is going on for sure.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-15-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

There are all sorts of things that keep your body from losing weight:
sodium
lack of sleep
stress
tearing down and building up muscle

You say this has gone on for awhile. Are we talking a month? Two months? Two weeks? I would say I personally would be willing to stick with my program for a month. But after a month, if you're not seeing weight loss, I would reevaluate what's going on -- journaling your food is probably the best way to do that.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote