Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/176/150

Height: 5'4''

Default Baking Powder

Hi Everyone!

I was consistently losing 3-4 lbs a week until i started "having fun" with my packets and making mug cakes, cookies etc....For the past 2 weeks, while incorporating the baking powder into my diet, i have only lost 1-2 lbs.

wondering if there is something in the baking powder that messes up Ketosis.

I stopped baking powder this week, and have been eating the packets as directed, and am already down 4 lbs in 4 days!!!

No more baking powder fun for me

Thoughts?????
ggsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Nutritionally speaking, the only thing in baking powder is sodium and a little calcium. There is a small amount of cornstarch to keep it from clumping, but not even enough to add anything to the counts. No carbs, no calories, nothing. Most packet hacks use 1/4 tsp of baking powder, which adds 110mg of sodium. It's pretty unlikely that the baking powder in packet hacks are the problem.

Have you taken a look at other things you are using - sweeteners/Walden Farms products/Crystal Light/Mio (and how many servings per day)? Are you still getting in all of your water? Stalls in weight loss DO happen, sometimes for no reason at all - but it's definitely worth looking at the whole picture to see if there's something else going on.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #3  

I stopped crystal light and only use Mio now. I use it in about 3 bottles of water a day. I was making the drink mix cookies every night!!! maybe i need to limit that!?!?!?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Or it could be just the ebb and flow of weight loss. After you have some big losses your body slows down a bit to adjust then picks up again.
Most people make things with the packages and still lose.
But you may have an individual reaction to baking powder that makes a difference for you.

The only way you will know is when you see what happens the next few weeks while you don't use it.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #5  

My thought is that everyone responds to additions differently. If I had this response, I'd make the same conclusion, based on anecdotal evidence. However, it would take more than a week for me to decide, since weight loss fluctuates so much day-to-day and week-to-week.

In the long run, we all have to do what works for us!

In my case, I'm trying to not have too many "treats" because I gained all this weight eating treats and I need to learn to live without things that make me fat. When I was on Atkins I made many "legal" recipes and didn't learn to live life eating foods that would cause me to maintain my weight loss.

I'm working on retraining my tastes. I stopped all the sugar-free coffee syrups. I don't add splenda to recipes that already have a sweet packet. At some point I'll need to cut back on the munchy-crunchy restricteds b/c I think they'll keep me addicted to those tastes (chips/etc).

My plan after I phase off all phases will be to eat primal/paleo. I've been reading and learning a LOT about this lifestyle and it matches my beliefs and views on health/wellness. At this point, I needed something MUCH more structured to get me back in Ketosis b/c I was making too many exceptions. The rigidity of IP has been just what I needed!

Long story to say do what works for you and fits your needs!

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-15-2012 at 10:01 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

The drink mix is unrestricted, so not adding extra carbs to your day. And if you're using a tsp of sweetener in the cookie recipe, plus 3 servings of Mio a day, and no other sugar free products that's well under any amount that would affect your weight loss. The nutritional value of what you are putting in your body doesn't change even though it FEELS like a cheat because it's in cookie form

Honestly, it could just be the way your body is cycling through the diet. If you look at my numbers in my signature - I have one week of great weight loss followed by a couple of weeks of lower numbers. I don't do anything different from week to week, it's just the way my body is letting go of the weight.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160.2/138/140

Height: 5'6"

I had a brief conversation with my coach about using this and he suggested that I stay away from it, to be safe (i was finding that I was being "knocked" out of ketosis regularily even though I was 100% OP - I can tell because of the metal taste I have in mouth as to whether I'm in ketosis or not). So, from that point on I stopped using it and I have not lost the taste of metal (staying in ketosis). I still make cookies, pancakes, etc with my packets, I just omit the baking powder. Just my personal experience....
missymoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #8  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

There are ~2 calories in 1 tsp of baking powder, from ~1g carbs, most recipes call for 1/4 tsp or maybe a 1/2 tsp at most so the effect should be negligible. Make sure to look at other extras as well, because they do all add up. A packet of Splenda has ~4 cals from ~.9g carbs for reference (just enough for the FDA to call them "0"). It's good you are keeping on top of things though!

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...-double-acting)

Last edited by LizRR; 09-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

I would try not having them for a couple weeks and if you dont stall then maybe it is that....as others have said I suspect that its just the normal flow of losing weight. I am only on my first week, but I am not new to weight loss and I find that my period cycle makes a big difference... I may not lose (or even gain a tiny bit) for a week or two then have a huge drop followed by a smaller one and then back to nothing. This is pretty common...espeically for women
CortneyMarie622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

When you say drink mix cookies, do you mean the chocolate drink mix? And if you're not making the cookies anymore, does that mean you're not having the chocolate drink as a packet? I only ask because the chocolate drink has 9g of carbs - the highest unrestricted package - so if you had more of it then and less now, then it could have put you at the high end of your carb threshold, and changing it out means less carbs and more loss.

Just a thought. If I misunderstood, my apologies!
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
When you say drink mix cookies, do you mean the chocolate drink mix? And if you're not making the cookies anymore, does that mean you're not having the chocolate drink as a packet? I only ask because the chocolate drink has 9g of carbs - the highest unrestricted package - so if you had more of it then and less now, then it could have put you at the high end of your carb threshold, and changing it out means less carbs and more loss.

Just a thought. If I misunderstood, my apologies!

still drinking the drink