Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #1  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

Default How can I exercise with a bad hip?

My left hip really hurts (I suspect it is because of my weight) I will go to a doctor soon but meanwhile, how can I exercise? Are there any activities that burn quite a few calories and do not involve running or jumping? I also cannot get out very easily due to transport issues so I don't think I can go swimming Thank you for your help!
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/213/150

I'm in a situation too with a sore hip It sucks! I highly suspect its my hip flexors or related to Iliotibial band syndrome.

Yoga has really been helping me with stretching and I'll walk when I can. It's so discouraging, do what you feel comfortable with because doing too much will only make things worse.
justdazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #3  
1500 Max!

Thank you justdazed! I will try yoga or something similar! Get ready for slim me!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I hurt my hip over the weekend and today I went to the gym. I did quads, hamstrings and calves on the machines. All of the things that don't involve moving my hip. It's not ideal, as I usually do lunges, squats, step-ups and deadlifts. But I needed to do some lower body stuff, and that is what worked. Tomorrow I'll do my regular upper body stuff. If you normally go to the gym, you could try this. Or even better would be a pool. It would take the weight off of your joints and let you still exercise.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #5  
1500 Max!

Hmm this is good advice. I think I will start off by stretching and hopefully my hip will get better soon and I can do walking! Thank you!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/320/280

Height: 6'0 Feet

Swimming is the best workout for injuries and for people with joint problems. They actually use pools for physical rehab.
NoPainNoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #7  

Im not an expert in the healthcare feild but from my experience ive found out that usually rest is the best thing to do if you did hurt yourself. Let your body heal. If you do not let it heal properly all the way, then you can cause major damage later on. If you feel like excerise is the reason for the pain, then take the intenseady down a little, or change the type of work out you are doing. Instead of the running on a treadmill use an eliptical. Or like NoPainNoLoss said take the workout into the pool. That is a great place to get a high intensity workout. Swimming forces you to use your whole body, so you burn more calories then running or any other workout.

I hope this helps. Good luck, Feel better!
MCGGM is offline   Reply With Quote