Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/170

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Hanging Post Pregnancy Belly

Hello...

I am embarking on my weight lose journey and just wondering how any other mother's out there deal with their post pregnancy belly...

I had my son almost 5 years ago, during my pregnancy I gained roughly 80lbs. After his birth (he was 10.5lbs at birth) I lost weight than gained it back plus some.

The weight seems to be all in my belly... I don't have a firm belly, it's really giggly and hangs (I can grab it with both hands and pull it up) - I am assuming that once I get the weight off I'll probably have to get a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin but I'm just wonder how other mother's deal with such a big post pregnancy belly... seems so discouraging
srod82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

As a guy I can relate a bit since belly is where our fat deposits tend to accumulate.

All you can do is lose fat. You'll lose it all over including your belly but if the belly is your primary problem area now you can expect it to be your problem area later but it will just be a smaller problem.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well, I haven't ever lost mine, even after 90-someone pounds of weight loss and several additional pregnancies (including my current one).

BUT

It does get much, much better with weight loss. Yes, I still have wrinkly skin and a little pooch, and always will after a c-section and a few VBACs, in addition to being morbidly obese originally! But it no longer overhangs in any significant way and as my weight gets lower I expect it to effectively disappear aside from the empty skin, which tends to be crepey but doesn't actually hang once the subcutaneous fat is lost. It's really not that bad at all, and I'm one of those women who has genetically iffy skin elasticity, to boot!

At 260 pounds, it was a huge and noticeable issue. On my blog, in my progress pictures, you can see it through my clothes even down to 190 pounds. But around 170 it REALLY shrunk and can now be camoflauged very easily with pants or a skirt. Even naked I look pretty awesome, all things considered.

So take heart, it can be managed, but lots of weight needs to come off to lose those stubborn fat stores in the abdomen for women prone to an apple shape, particularly. It can absolutely be done, but give it time and dedication before proclaiming it a lost cause. And yes, it might be awfully slow - I've been losing this weight for four years now, with two additional pregnancy breaks after my high weight in the months following baby #2. But sticking with it has shown GREAT results, even when I have lots of off days and poor choices and maintenance breaks thrown in, too. Be in it for the long haul, and the apron CAN be vanquished for the most part. You won't look like you were never obese, unless you are gifted with VERY elastic skin, but you'll look much better and feel more confident about your body than you do now, I think

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 09-11-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #4  

Hi,

Totally feel for you. I think exercises are probably the best way to lose this excess fat on your belly. Though to be honest I start thinking myself about slimming products to help myself a bit. Never thought that I will go down that road but I am really desperate at this stage and will try anything (maybe apart from surgery). Will let you know if I find anything particulary effective.
eva14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #5  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i really dont think there is a way to get rid of it aside from surgery, but losing weight will make you care a lot less. you'll be much happier about how you look and find clothes that flatter you.

last time i lost a lot the last 10 or so lbs seemed like it ALL came off my belly.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #6  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I have 6 kids, with my last being twins. My twins are almost 7 years old, and my skin has stretched a bit in that area, but it has improved over time and dramatically with the weight loss. I'm still working on firming things up, but I understand and accept that after lots of pregnancies, being 40 years old, and having gone through a substantial weight loss, that there will likely remain a bit of wiggly-jiggly. I try not to focus on that negative bit because I've come so far, and my body will have some "battle scars", but it was all worth it in the end.

I'll never go through surgery to have it removed; I don't want to put myself through that elective procedure, especially since there are risks involved in any surgery. I don't want to devote the money to it, nor the effort that would be involved with recovery.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/290/170

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the advice... one step at a time !!!

As for surgery I will see when the time comes if it's really a necessity, first I NEED to loose the fat in that area... will keep everyone posted
srod82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

My son is almost 10 and my stomach is still mushy. :/ I'm "thin" but I don't think I'll ever be firm enough to my liking.. but it's acceptable. It does get much better with weightloss.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote