Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat September 10 - September 16

BillBlueEyes
09-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Last night was the first night that we didn't eat out on the patio because it was too chilly. Felt like a wimp. If it were February, we'd run outside cheering because it was nearly 60.

First challenge for me this week is a monthly volunteer meeting which is conducted over food. Food remains available for over two hours as an attractive alternative to listening when I'm bored. At home, I can get up and walk about if bored which gets the circulation going in my legs and brain again. But I've never tried that during a meeting of a dozen people before, LOL.

shcirerf
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Good morning, happy Monday!

CherryPie99
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone!

Sorry that I was MIA all last week. I was reading the threads, but was kind of being a Debbie Downer and throwing a pity party for myself, so I didn't want to invade the threads with that.

My goal in maintenance is to hover 115-119 and last week my body decided it LOVED to be at 121. I know that's only a couple of pounds, but I know you guys get it - a couple of pounds up is discouraging.

The last 2 days I've been at 119.1. Combine that with me taking first place female in the 10K race I did over the weekend, and I'm feeling reeeeallly good to start off the week!

Hope everyone is starting their Monday on a high note!

Jen

alinnell
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Your hand looks horrible, Janelle. I hope it isn't blood poisoning.

Jen~running a 10k may have caused a little water retention in your muscles. I'm sure you'll drop this week.

We had a storm here last night and I guess I missed it. They had to shut down the freeway due to downed and on fire power lines. There were 50 mph winds and intermittent heavy rains and supposedly a dust storm as well. I went to bed to read at about 8 PM and must have turned on the sound soother at that time and didn't hear anything. When DH came to bed around 10 PM, I'd already turned out the light and was asleep but got up to go to the bathroom and all I remember was the horrible lake smell from the rotting fish at the Salton Sea. It was unusually bad last night.

bargoo
09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Cherrypie, don't stop posting because you think you might be a downer.I feel like I am a mere amateur compared to what you have lost.I undesrtand how you feel, though.
My body is trying to tell me what "it" wants to weigh and I am determined it is going to be "my" way. Stay tuned.

Megan1982
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Morning all,

We actually have a touch of fall in the air this morning! Hurrah! I'm sure it will warm up again, and we'll go through this cold front/warming cycle a few more times before it gets cooler for good, but gosh I love it. In other news, it amazes me how much the seasons change my sleep cycles. In the winter I usually sleep rather lightly, sometimes have bouts of insomnia. In the summer I think I'm just so exhausted I pass out and sleep deeply through the night. BF normally sleeps like a rock. He's been experiencing more anxiety lately, which I think is keeping him up more. So when I woke up at 4am and asked where the dog was, he told me she had been sick on the floor but he already cleaned it up. I was really surprised bc usually it wakes me up, not him. While I'm happy I've been sleeping so well and hope it continues, I also worry about BF's anxiety. He has never once woken for the dog being sick, he usually sleeps through it. (BTW the dog is fine, just ate too much grass.)

There are my sleep musings for the week. You all know how important my sleep is to me. ;)

Your hand does look terrible, Janelle. I hope it heals quickly.

Jen, sounds like a great run! Way to go! :carrot: Don't worry about being a downer... we all go through negative places.

Saef, the "zaps" sound really unpleasant. I'm glad those are gone and I hope the anxiety abates quickly. I trust you have enough of a supply that you will not run out anytime soon>

Bill, I've been at meetings where people just couldn't/didn't want to sit still. They discreetly get up and stand in the back of the room. Try to pick a seat that you can get out of easily.

traveling michele
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm with Jen and Bargoo and the dumb body wanting to weigh something different than my wishes. Congrats Jen on your awesome race! Wow!

Good morning everyone else.
Dh finally comes home again Saturday so now I can start counting down the days. He just happened to be in London when our nephew was baptized yesterday and so he got to go-- and he was named the godfather!

Less than 2 weeks until my tough mudder. Yesterday was a "mock mudder"-- I "only" fell twice going down the hills and I felt quite tough-- but I was so exhausted afterwards I could barely get off the couch for hours. Therefore I was less productive than I needed to be and I still need to-- clean house, pay bills, go to Costco-- so today will be busy in addition to work, the gym, and possibly an evening work meeting (trying to get out of that one).

paperclippy
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Good morning! We have also had a fall chill in the air here, at least in the mornings. DH and I went to an art fair this weekend and picked up some nice stuff.

Weight is up at red line right now. My goal for today is to not eat any junk and to work out. I have to go to an all-day career fair tomorrow and I'm trying to decide what to do about lunch.

saef
09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
What great weather for sleeping. I pulled up a quilt over myself, and in the morning, shut off my alarm at 4:15 AM, like swatting an irritating mosquito, then fell asleep again for too long, woke an hour later and had to rush to make it to spin class.

I am gradually returning to myself again, though I'm more restless and have trouble concentrating. It's making me less productive at work than I'd like to be, but it's going to be noticed and I will regret this later if I don't quiet down and focus today.

Today I am feeling for all of you members who have kids that are experiencing trouble in the classroom. I am relating to them today. The very meds that get me out of bed also make me feel overcaffeinated and not fond of desk work. I want to get up & disrupt the class. Thank goodness I'm working from home today.

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the run, Jen! Awesome! Don't feel bad about posting when you are a little down, I think I do it all the time. ;) Case in point, see below. LOL

I'm feeling a little blah this morning. It is cool and sunny out, I should be chippier I think. I had a physical this morning - BP, blood sugar, iron, EKG, everything they could tell me right away was great. I'll get the blood results in the next few days along with the results of an h-pylori test that they threw in. My weight is up 14 pounds from when I was there in Feb of 2010. She pressed her thumbs into my hands and said I seem to be retaining a lot of fluid, hence the h-pylori and a few other tests on the bloodowork. She told me I look great, sound great, she would kill to weigh what I do and that everything she could see looked perfect, gave me a commendation for my healthy lifestyle in the physician notes section. Which made it hard for me to say "I' haven't been exercising and eating as well as I should so feel like I'm overweight" to her. As a result I'm feeling kind of 'meh' right now.

krampus
09-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Good morning maintainers!

Bloated from a weekend of indulgence. Bar mitzvah was great fun, overabundance of hotel catered food, and the next day my bf's mom made us special brownies and then fed us a ton of homecooked eats. I'm not really complaining; few things are more fun than wandering around an awesome garden and wooded area all day eating, and this bloat too shall pass. He found a really cool purple mushroom in the woods which his mycology-obsessed sister identified as Cortinarius iodes.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/402905_921272570305_1671324208_n.jpg

Kery
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Hello Maintainers. :) (And with that, I probably won't pop much again before ages pass. I should really post more often instead of just lurking.)

Bill - Good luck on holding good and strong. Boredom is my worst trigger, so I can understand the problem such a meeting can become if food is kept freely at hand! >.<

Jen - Congrats on the race! :D

Krampus - Uhm... is that one even edible? From its colour, I'd bet on 'no', but...

Been busy here with back to school period, which as usual hectic, and even moreso this year. The school I'm in being a mess in terms of organizing, I mean. The people are nice, but everything seems to be done backwards: first they lose the papers I filled, then I get a phone call from central office asking why I sent those papers to them (I sure didn't, must be the secretary? no clue...). It's going to be ten months of do-it-all-myself, or it'll be done wrong, I'm sure. On the other hand, the good point about that school is that it's 20 minutes by bike from home, so I don't have to take my car, *and* I have enough time to go back home for lunch, thus saving money on (crappy) cafeteria lunches.

I also confess not having weighed in about two months, but since I'm still floating in the pants I bought back when I was 127ish, I suppose I haven't gained. Although I doubt anyone would gain anything with the amount of food I eat these days. (Not starving myself... just the same old teeth problems and rotting jaw bone going on. *sigh* Maybe I should just have everything removed and go for a set of false teeth?)

Mudpie
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I had to go to a different web browser to get on site today.

I am at home today, fielding calls from all sorts of social work agencies who want to do "assessments" of my father.

We took him to emerg last night straight from the airport and they kept him (so far). His medical records from Estonia were put in his suitcase, which was lost. That has since been located so now we need to get it back and then find a translator to see what happened over there.

My dad rambled on about some sort of car accident and brain seizure. He was in pretty sad shape - didn't know the year or month or exactly where he was. And he peed in the back of the cab (thank goodness I had put towels down under him). When he tried to get out of the cab he fell down (or started to until DH caught him). He couldn't walk more than 2 steps.

Despite all of this, and my continuous repetition of how alone he is in a 2 storey house, it really really sounds like they don't want to put him in short term care. So I expect the phone call from him announcing that he's at home any time now. SIGH. The circus begins anew.

It seems that elderly people in this country are encouraged to stay in their homes until they have a catastrophic accident or burn the house down around themselves or similar. No one wants to care for them in a residential setting where life would be so much easier for them.

DH and I will have to fight our way into a retirement home I guess.

I haven't been overeating. Despite getting home at midnight and having to hang around the house all day. I have been cleaning (those weird tasks one never does, like washing throw pillow cases) and getting rid of stuff. Now I'm going to go out and tackle the garden.

Dagmar :shrug:

krampus
09-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Dagmar, I'm sorry your father is having such a rough time and the bureaucracy is keeping him from getting what he needs. Home care in the community is a great option for some, but not for all. How did he even get to YYZ on his own?

alinnell
09-10-2012, 05:30 PM
My MIL's mother is in need of residential care--or even a nursing home. Alzheimer's and macular degeneration make living alone a hazard. The doctors all recommend it. But one of her daughters (the one with advanced multiple sclerosis) thinks she can take care of her. Even my MIL who used to run a care facility doesn't agree with this, but she finally washed her hands of the situation after spending all summer up there, cleaning out her mother's house to sell it, and trying to get the rest of her family to accept that their mother needs specialized care.

bargoo
09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Imagine being an elderly sick, person, being asked to give up your home, your independance everything familiar to you. Imagine having to live in one room in some kind of a care facility,maybe even having to share a room with another elderly , sick person. I don't want that and have told my family so. Even if they don't agree with me and even if it were for my good, I would refuse, kicking and screaming and I hope my family aren't all in a dither what to do that old lady sick, maybe incontinent and probably with few funds. It is not a pleasant prospect to grow old and sick and have others make decisions for you.

Shannon in ATL
09-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Bargoo - you've just described one of my greatest fears as an adult. I have no children of my own, nor does my brother. I have a stepson, but he has a mother of his own. Women in my family tend to be long lived, and I'm in good health so far. I have a vision of outliving everyone who will be willing to help take care of me and not wanting to burden my stepson with care of two elderly mothers. His natural mom is older than me, but has more family. Sisters younger than her all with kids, but still only the one son. I'm afraid I'll be the person no one knows what to do with one day. :(

Dagmar - I'm so sorry for your stress. :hug:

BillBlueEyes
09-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Wishing you well, Dagmar, in your saga with deep emotional issues.

Love the purple mushroom. I don't foresee becoming experienced enough to pick my own wild mushrooms to eat - just too many stories of thought-they-were-experienced-enough folks who got hurt seriously.

I'm looking forward to a good cardio walk today in the cool; it's great when pushing hard helps to fight off the chill.

Mudpie
09-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Imagine being an elderly sick, person, being asked to give up your home, your independance everything familiar to you. Imagine having to live in one room in some kind of a care facility,maybe even having to share a room with another elderly , sick person. I don't want that and have told my family so. Even if they don't agree with me and even if it were for my good, I would refuse, kicking and screaming and I hope my family aren't all in a dither what to do that old lady sick, maybe incontinent and probably with few funds. It is not a pleasant prospect to grow old and sick and have others make decisions for you.

The things is my father never wanted independence. He wants others to serve him.

Me too - when I'm old :p ! I plan to move to a senior's residence with a good nursing home attached when I am still in pretty good shape. I will make friends with the staff, tip them well, and integrate as well as I can. I look forward to having other people do everything for me. I'm sooo tired of doing it all myself. No cooking, laundry, cleaning, gardening, errands, shopping, etc. etc. All I will do is socialize, go to movies, to the mall, read, etc. I will LOVE :love: all that!

Dagmar :cool:

CherryPie99
09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
My father in law just turned 94 this summer. He lives alone and does pretty well, in part because we live close and DH sees him daily and takes him shopping. His mind is very sharp, but his hip is terrible and they won't do surgery because of the risk of anesthesia. Plus his hearing and eye-sight are not good and he still drives. DH and I don't think he should be driving but DH's sister is not on our side with this AT ALL. She thinks it's TERRIBLE to even consider telling him he shouldn't be driving let alone intervening more.

It's really hard and as a daughter in law, there is only so much of a line I can cross!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm feeling really good again today, holding at 119. It is extremely cold here this morning - in the 40's. I HATE it!! I am not looking forward to fall and winter. Although I have to admit - I did a 6 mile run yesterday during my lunch hour and felt like I was flying - it is much easier to run in the 60's then in the 80's!

2 weeks until DH and I are on vacation - we rented a cabin in Pennsylvania. I'm getting excited!

Jen

bargoo
09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
My day has started out with a brighter outlook, down 1.2 pounds . Jen, I am at 119 this morning, too. I almost hate to mention it for fear I will jinx myself.

alinnell
09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
My in-laws have told us point-blank that if they give us any trouble when we need to deal with their old age afflictions that we are to remind them of the troubles they dealt with with their parents. They don't wish to be a burden. I foresee them moving into some sort of senior living place with an option for assisted living before they get to that point. It helps that MIL ran an assisted living (non-profit one) for many, many years so she knows the ins and outs and what to look for and what to expect.

My FIL's uncle was in the Air Force and retired to a community in Riverside at an Air Force Base. It had houses to live in while you were on your own. It had a full hospital with skilled nursing for when you needed it and it also had assisted living. Basically he bought into the "package" and lived in all those places there the last 20 years of his 90+ years. It sure sounds like a good deal.

I don't know what to say about my partially blind father who continues to feel the "right" to drive.

We made the front page of the LA Times today. Well, the Salton Sea did. It is a rather shallow salt lake southeast of us. Each year the extreme heat causes an algae bloom which causes thousands of tilapia to die and wash ashore and rot. The stench is unbelievable! Well, a very violent storm the night before last blew the stench all the way to LA where hazmat teams were deployed to determine the source of the stench. They finally determined it was the first time the stench had ever traveled so far (over 100 miles). So if the people there were calling 911 for the stench, you can imagine what we, who live a lot closer, have to deal with. I think this has been a particularly bad year--last year wasn't nearly this bad.

traveling michele
09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
The poor tilapia! I love tilapia but I guess it will go up in price now.

Jen and Bargoo-- glad you are both happy with your scale readings. I am not. I am partially (or all) to blame though. I was feeling grumpy that I've been so dog gone good even on the weekends so I bought some grapes last night and indulged. You wouldn't think that sounds bad but whenever I buy grapes, my weight goes up. So, after briefly seeing 123 on Saturday and Sunday, yesterday I was 124 and today 125. I also lifted heavy (for me) weights at the gym so that could be partly to blame. Regardless I need to get out of my funky thinking before I buy something I really shouldn't be eating!

saef
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm also not happy with my scale reading, which went up 2.5 pounds since Friday, even though my period has ended. Maybe I should blame my having eaten too many fresh figs. The season is so brief, and I found a little market with great prices on produce where figs were more than $1 per pound less than in the larger supermarkets. Maybe figs are kryptonite to my weight, as grapes are to you, Michele.

Then again, I had green beans at dinner last night, roasted with a kind of Chinese marinade with Bragg's aminos subbing out for light soy sauce, though still salty. And at lunch, some kalamata olives on top of my salad. Both of these are salt bombs, to which I don't generally react very well.

Thanks to meds, and a chat with my therapist last night (though he spent some of our time talking about his real estate issues! and viewing apartments for sale in my building complex!) I am feeling slightly more secure, though I am concerned at my profound lack of interest in my job. My boss is on vacation, and spend all of last week at the offsite, which probably has a lot to do with it. My fear of authority finding fault with me is one of my biggest motivators. It comes from having a depressed but detail-oriented and sarcastic father. He's been dead for several years now, but isn't it wonderful how we internalize the voices that we heard for years & years. Death offers no deliverance. But my father was inherently loving, when he was fully himself, and often apologetic, and thus was nowhere near as difficult as yours, Dagmar. There was just a vestigial trace of that Eastern European patriarchal thing going on. My father had lived under an Old World tyrant and resolved not to duplicate that behavior in his own home life, and to a large extent, he succeeded.

Sometimes I wonder how many years it will take before I stop yelling at myself using phrases that I picked up from my mother & my father.

alinnell
09-11-2012, 11:23 AM
The poor tilapia! I love tilapia but I guess it will go up in price now.

Very few people eat the tilapia from the Salton Sea. There are farm ponds out in the desert where most of the local tilapia is raised, so I doubt there will be an impact on the price.

ICUwishing
09-11-2012, 12:00 PM
DS13 had his first choir practice of the season - I remain in awe of the musical talent displayed by these young men. The big performance this year will be "Noyes Fludde" (Noah's Flood) - they will be training through February. They are already preparing for their Christmas concert as well; I must say "O Come All Ye Faithful" has never sounded so good!

My mom's mom (97) is in one of the graduated-care homes - she currently manages well on her own in a one-bedroom apartment, and as the need arises, she can move into higher levels of care. It's a neat community, actually - and my mom is doing research on them for herself. Personally, I would much prefer to be in a settlement where I could take my golf cart to the theater or the grocery store ... when can I move in? ;)

Dagmar, sending you lots of hugs and strength. Clean pillows are a far better solution than an empty pantry!

Megan1982
09-11-2012, 03:27 PM
It is amazing how chipper this weather is making me. It's only about 3 degrees cooler but much, much less humid and so lovely. Tomorrow I go to the city to see the doctor about my shoulder, so naturally I'm headed to the good grocery store and maybe a bit of other shopping. ;) I'm sure I "need" something from Marshall's.

Does anybody do pilates? I did a pilates DVD yesterday I've only done 1-2x before. It was a 15 minute workout and I felt so rushed trying to keep up that I felt the momentum of my limbs was carrying through and rather than engaging my muscles as much as I could if I could take it a little slower. Is this fast pace normal for pilates?

Some of you may remember a dear older friend of my BF's who passed away almost 4 years ago. He was 82 when he passed and was losing his eyesight to macular degeneration. I don't know if he actually gave up his license but he knew he couldn't drive. When he needed to run an errand, he called one of his many friends (often BF) to see if they could come take him, and then would take them out to lunch and make a social event of it. This worked well for him, but he did resist assisted living (even having someone live in home with him) to the very end of his life. He fell many times and friends often found him on the floor. So he gave a little with the driving, but some of it was a struggle. I worry about my parents as well because I'm so far away, though they are still a ways away from this stage. I'm hoping for myself that my sister will have enough kids that one of them will like me. ;) I don't think I will respond well to having my independence taken away.

Allison, the fish sounds horrible. Stinky rotting fish smells soooo bad.

Kery, I work for a place that loses everything at least once. My advice: make photocopies of everything you turn in, and call to get a verbal confirmation of receipt. If they are supposed to send something back to you, call often to ask its status (in case it is "lost" - then you can re-send a copy of your copy). :dizzy: It is annoying. Sorry to hear about your ongoing teeth troubles.

Becky, I'm kind of bummed I can't sing with my choral group this fall. I'll be on a vacation the day of the performance. Enjoy your son's group!

Saef, glad you're feeling better and were able to talk with your therapist. I can't resist figs in season either. I got 2 packages BOGO free last weekend at the good grocery store and am sad to say that might be all I can find this year.

WardHog
09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi, all!

I am sorry for the stress, Dagmar. I hope you can get him a placement soon. Kudos to you for not raiding the fridge and pantry in response.

My parents are already checking out the graduating care facilities in our area. Unfortunately my DH's parents, who are quite a bit older and in worse shape, refuse to discuss the inevitable. Ugh.

Mudpie
09-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Hi, all!

I am sorry for the stress, Dagmar. I hope you can get him a placement soon. Kudos to you for not raiding the fridge and pantry in response.

My parents are already checking out the graduating care facilities in our area. Unfortunately my DH's parents, who are quite a bit older and in worse shape, refuse to discuss the inevitable. Ugh.

No need to raid the fridge - DH brought home the junk and I helped him eat it (see Facing Fall thread).

My dad is going to fight all of this but I have all the medical people on my side now. And I'm going to see about getting the social workers started on the short term care facility process today. Another trip to the hospital tonite. I don't even want to see my dad - he started yelilng at me 5 minutes in to the visit last night.

I will do as I did last night - walk away. I wish I could just keep walking and never have to see him again but life is never that easy.

Tonite I get to wash a suitcase full of stinky soiled laundry. DH was so grossed out by the smell that he put the suitcase in the back shed. Lucky me.

Dagmar :tired: :faint:

saef
09-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Dagmar, this is when I'd pay the Wash & Fold services at the various laundromats around me to take care of the mess. Sounds like you could do with a little outsourcing, and then with presenting the bills for these services to your father.

I know you're very angry, but don't hurt yourself more when you are already hurting. That is, don't use food to hurt yourself and give yourself a reason to berate yourself -- apparently in much the same way that your father berates you when he sees you.

I haven't had that conversation yet with my mother about what her wishes will be. Right now, she's in a decent-sized house, with an upstairs, and is selling her minivan and getting another one. She also owns a sporty little car. She drives just fine, and in fact is willing to make long car trips, though she is not crazy about night driving. She climbs stairs all day & mows the lawn herself with a push mower. In other words, so far she's in pretty good shape & I am keeping my fingers crossed that her quality of life continues at this level for at least a few more years.

alinnell
09-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Wishing Jessica a very happy birthday!

Keeping Gary in our prayers as he tackles his first round of chemo today.

Hoping the weather starts improving. I'm getting really tired of the humidity.

Last night we had a weird experience. Just before 5:30 PM we started hearing strange noises--loud, infrequent, kind of a soft boom kind of noise. DH and I both wondered what it was, but when DS came in to ask, we decided to investigate. Outside the air was smoky, but not with a fire smell. DH thought it smelled like gunpowder, perhaps from fireworks, but I thought it smelled a bit more electrical. A little bit later the fire department arrived and was on scene for over an hour. The smell dissipated, and eventually the fire department left. All this occurred in a undeveloped area just one house away from ours where there is a pump station to pump water up the hill (we have series of pump stations like this going up the hill). I inquired on Facebook and a local reporter indicated that Edison was on it's way that they thought it was a transformer malfunction. (Wouldn't that have caused an electrical outage?) I still don't know just what it was.

bargoo
09-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Happy birthday , Jessica !!!!!

bargoo
09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Aside from the Happy Birthday song for Jessica ...I hear music...Ah! It is The Triumphal March from Aida as I march out of my house wearing jeans that I have not been able to button for months.

BillBlueEyes
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Happy Birthday
Jessica (paperclippy)

paperclippy
09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone! :D I am now officially old (30). :lol: I spent yesterday at an all-day outdoor career fair doing recruiting for my company and it was super exhausting. Good thing someone brought sunblock!

Dagmar, I hope you can get your dad into a facility quickly.

Bargoo, congrats on the jeans fitting!

Allison, that is pretty weird!

saef
09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Happy birthday to you, Jessica. I don't know what your 30s will bring, but I can tell you that, for me, they were a vast improvement over my 20s and were a time when I started to feel my own power. So I am hoping that is true for you, as well.

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Happy birthday, Jessica!
:bday2you::bday2you:
:celebrate::celebrate:
:gift::woo:
:balloons:

And Bargoo.... :bravo: on the jeans!

Kery
09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Happy birthday, Jessica. :)

ICUwishing
09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Happy Birthday, Jessica!

CherryPie99
09-12-2012, 05:27 PM
HAPPY B-DAY!! Hope you are having a great time!! (Ya old lady you!)

shcirerf
09-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Woo HOo!

It's my birthday.

Did good, most of the day, took the much better hand and went to the gym and worked out over my lunch hour.

DH sent me flowers!:D

Happy hour beers, Happy to me, I'm probably to dang happy and will most likely regret this in the morning, but hey, it's only once a year!

29 and holding, really 53! *faints*

Thank goodness for hair color!:D

bargoo
09-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Happy Birthday, I am so sorry I didn't know sooner. I hope you had a great day and that you will have a wonderful year ahead.

Shannon in ATL
09-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Janelle and Jessica share a birthday? Cool!

Definitely enjoy the happy, no regrets tomorrow. :)

Happy birthday, Janelle!
:bday2you::bday2you:
:celebrate::celebrate:
:gift::hb:
:balloons:

BillBlueEyes
09-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Happy Birthday
janelle (shcirerf)

And may you have 29 more and 29 more after that.

saef
09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey Janelle, hope it was a happy one yesterday, and that some of the happiness continues beyond the day itself.

Ah yes, hair coloring, moisturizers and the gym. My youth is gone, but I remain fairly presentable, though it's a lot of work.

Megan1982
09-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Morning all,

Happy Birthday, Jessica and Janelle! Janelle, don't you know, cake and beer don't have calories on your birthday. It does come just once a year after all. And Jessica, haven't you heard? 30 is the new 20.
:bday2you::celebrate::balloons:

Yesterday I went to the doctor's from my shoulder. He knew right away what was wrong: "Weightlifter's shoulder" or an irritation in my AC (acrimion?) joint. Dr. said it wasn't that severe and I haven't developed any bone spurs. While I should shy away from certain weightlifting motions like benchpress, incline presses, and push-ups, I can still do lots of upper body work. I need to be really careful to use proper form with my shoulders back and down, and also he showed me some stretching and told me to just "be smart" and back off if I need to. He checked all the muscles around my rotator cuff and said they feel fine. It really wasn't too bad, and I can work with this. The office was big but very fast and efficient, too. Whew. Of course I also dropped off some things at goodwill, recycled old cell phones, went to my "good" grocery store, and naturally bought some new shoes while I was in the city.

Dagmar, hang in there. :hug: As Bargoo said, don't hurt yourself any further by letting your frustrations drive you to junk food. You will get through this.

Bargoo, woohoo! Congrats on the jeans! :carrot:

neurodoc
09-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Dagmar:
Dealing With Difficult Parents And With Parents in Difficult Situations (http://www.amazon.com/Dealing-With-Difficult-Parents-Situations/dp/1930556098/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347542603&sr=8-1&keywords=dealing+with+difficult+parents) by Todd Whitaker (http://www.amazon.com/Todd-Whitaker/e/B001JP7S32/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1347542603&sr=8-1) and Douglas Fiore and/or

Coping With Your Difficult Older Parent : A Guide for Stressed-Out Children (http://www.amazon.com/Coping-With-Difficult-Older-Parent/dp/038079750X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347542603&sr=8-2&keywords=dealing+with+difficult+parents) by Grace Lebow (http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Lebow/e/B001IGNQ38/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1347542603&sr=8-2), Barbara Kane and Irwin Lebow

Happy belated birthdays to Jessica and Janelle.

alinnell
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Happy belated birthday, Janelle!!!

traveling michele
09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Happy belated birthday Janelle. Hope it was a great one!

paperclippy
09-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Happy belated birthday Janelle, my birthday twin!

Mudpie
09-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Dagmar:
Dealing With Difficult Parents And With Parents in Difficult Situations (http://www.amazon.com/Dealing-With-Difficult-Parents-Situations/dp/1930556098/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347542603&sr=8-1&keywords=dealing+with+difficult+parents) by Todd Whitaker (http://www.amazon.com/Todd-Whitaker/e/B001JP7S32/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1347542603&sr=8-1) and Douglas Fiore and/or

Coping With Your Difficult Older Parent : A Guide for Stressed-Out Children (http://www.amazon.com/Coping-With-Difficult-Older-Parent/dp/038079750X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347542603&sr=8-2&keywords=dealing+with+difficult+parents) by Grace Lebow (http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Lebow/e/B001IGNQ38/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1347542603&sr=8-2), Barbara Kane and Irwin Lebow

Happy belated birthdays to Jessica and Janelle.

Thanks for those. I think he'll probably fall and kill himself before the books arrive from Amazon but I appreciate the effort on my behalf.

Dagmar :tired:

Mudpie
09-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Has anyone looked at that "Louis Vuitton" purses thread? I've never seen anything like it on the forum and wondered what it was. No ID on the poster either. ???

Dagmar

BillBlueEyes
09-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Has anyone looked at that "Louis Vuitton" purses thread? I've never seen anything like it on the forum and wondered what it was. No ID on the poster either. ???
All gone now. SPAM for "Louis Vuitton" arrives regularly. You found it before it was otherwise reported - thanks.

Mudpie
09-14-2012, 06:34 AM
DH and I are going to start getting back on track with our own lives now. Despite all the drama associated with the "fossil", aka my father, DH and I have managed to almost finish my new website! It should be done today. :D

Since it is a commercial venture I won't post a link to it here but I will put it up on my Fb page by Monday.

Bill Is it OK to put up a search term for my business website here so that those Maintainers not on Fb as my friends can google it? None of you live in my service area so I'm not directing any advertising at you. Please let me know. Thanks!

Dagmar :strong:

alinnell
09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
My Dad's house flooded yesterday. I guess he called a plumber when he discovered a burst pipe and the plumber recommended he call a disaster clean-up company (which he did) but my brother & sister-in-law still had to go help. They were there until 2 AM carrying stuff up from the basement. I guess several items were destroyed and he's got several industrial fans drying out the foundation now. My sister is hoping that they don't restore the basement--just get the insurance money and hold onto it for when we sell the house and we use the money as an incentive for the buyers, basically saying "what do you want? We'll do it for you." I don't know if my brother will go for that or not. And I don't know if this will be the impetus to get my Dad to move out or not.

traveling michele
09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh no Allison. Hopefully that does make your dad realize he can't handle everything himself.

I was lucky I didn't come home to a flood yesterday. My dishwasher has been acting weird-- sometimes when I start it, it doesn't go on. Yesterday I started it and left the house for over three hours-- when I came home it said it had one minute left and it was running. It was full of water and stuck at one minute. I stopped and started it and it went to 43 minutes, then worked down from there and finished. Those were very clean dishes! I'm just glad nothing happened with all that water. I've had a fridge leak before and ruin floors and had pipes burst and my whole house ruined, so I'm a little gun shy. I hate to get a repairman out when a dishwasher isn't that expensive to get a new one-- how long do they usually last? Ours is about seven years old but I don't think it's top of the line as the prior owners just put in cheap stuff to sell the house.

Sheila53
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Current dishwashers have a lifespan of about 8 years, according to our appliance guy. I quit leaving the house with the dishwasher running when ours started pumping out water while we were gone for two hours. The water ruined the floor in the dining room, kitchen and family room--wood, vinyl and carpet. What a mess! I got a steel tub Bosch after that.

Megan1982
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Morning all,

I'm in a good mood today bc I got my haircut this morning! Naturally, this makes the world brighter. Even though it is far, this is the second trip to this stylist and I like her a lot, and I try to make my appointments for when I'm coming in to the city anyway. This weekend BF is out of town so it's girls only at my house. Tonight I'm going to my friends for our "group guitar lesson" night, Sunday boating with some friends if weather allows. Anyone got any fun plans?

I'm still kind of researching and processing how I will modify my weightlifting activities for my shoulder. I think I may just continue to rest my upper body for now, doing just enough lower body and core to keep what I've got, but nothing heavy or extensive. I am more motivated to go outside and do cardio in the form of walking - even jogged a bit yesterday - with the dog in this nice weather.

Allison, oh my. I've had several flood experiences and it's just a nightmare. The pros really know what they're doing and have the equipment needed to do it. GL w clean-up. Keeping the $ does sounds like a nice incentive for potential buyers.

Dagmar, glad you got your new website done despite dealing with your dad. I'd like to see it! Can you PM me the link? That way it's not advertising. ;)

Have a great weekend everybody!

saef
09-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Allison, I'd suggest he get some kind of professional consultation so he can assure buyers that no subsequent mold problem developed. Maybe the clean-up company can help with that? The idea of mold growing was a really big deal after my and other apartments in our complex flooded, and really, it was revolting to see how quickly it came on -- like within hours of the flood waters receding -- and progressed as the days passed, while we salvaged. So even if no renovation takes place, at least the place will be certified in some way as nonhazardous. I am just guessing here and I don't know what the laws are like where you live.

Megan1982
09-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Current dishwashers have a lifespan of about 8 years, according to our appliance guy. I quit leaving the house with the dishwasher running when ours started pumping out water while we were gone for two hours. The water ruined the floor in the dining room, kitchen and family room--wood, vinyl and carpet. What a mess! I got a steel tub Bosch after that.

I had a friend whose water hose to her washer burst while she was out of town. Experts recommend you replace the hoses every few (5?) years, but in reality few who does that? My old washer died in mid-cycle while I was at work. I ran home at lunch and it was "stuck" and making a horrible grinding sort of noise - luckily no flooding. I found my neighbors main water pipe to their house burst one morning while they were gone. They leave town for 4+ months every year. I couldn't figure out how to turn the water off at the street so I got my BF to come do it (he's on the fire department) - which I found out later is illegal, but I really didn't care. I suppose I could have called the water company but I started calling neighbors until I found someone who knew how to contact them.

I hate the noise of my washer & dryer but try to run them when I'm home in case something bad happens. My parents always used to turn the water supply off in our home we only lived in part-time when I was a kid when we would leave. It's not a bad idea. Bad things can happen! :eek:

alinnell
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
My SIL said that the whole house smells of mold. We're all happy Dad called the disaster clean up company because he mentioned that he was just planning on getting the pipe fixed and letting it air out itself. The disaster clean up company said it will take a minimum of four days to dry the basement out with fans and they also have a special filter fan upstairs to help with the mold spores being blown around. I'll mention the need to test for mold once everything is dry.

My old dishwasher lasted less than 8 years before it started leaking. I think it was just 6 years old. My refrigerator, however, was the one that has caused the most damage. It leaked through the wall to the living room which is behind it--it was the wet carpet that alerted me there. Lord knows how long that had been leaking (and it was the 2nd time it had happened).

Mudpie
09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
My aunt, who lived in an expensive condo building on the 19th floor, left her dishwasher running one morning and a hose burst. She came home to 2 feet of water in her condo (all the wall-to-wall carpet ruined, floors buckling, etc. ) and to two very irate neighbours who lived in the units one and two floors below. Both of them had damage because of the water in her unit. She left the water damage on all the legs of her antique wooden furniture as a reminder to never, ever do that again.

Our dishwasher here runs like a tank. Despite the noise I will not leave the house while it is running. I do leave while the washer is going as it's in the basement and located right next to a drain on a sloped floor.

Dagmar :dizzy:

saef
09-14-2012, 10:18 PM
When I took some 19th century oil paintings to a conservator to get an estimate on their restoration, the conservator, a lovely wise gentleman with the air of someone who LOVES his work, said something I won't forget: "Water is the most destructive & dangerous element."

Fresh from salvaging stuff after the flood, I believed him. I didn't bring up fire or insects or sun fading.

All these stories I'm reading just affirm what he said.

Lately I hear that old Ann Peebles song going through my head a lot: "I Can't Stand the Rain."

Mudpie
09-15-2012, 08:10 AM
This is what DH and I came up with in about a week - our "baby"

http://dagmarpetsbf.com/

I know none of you have any business use for this so I felt comfortable posting it here (and in Chat). It showcases a lot of pets - my own, some from the past, and some currently on the bus. And it shows the first ever full length pics of me seen at 3FC.

Dagmar :D

BillBlueEyes
09-15-2012, 08:59 AM
What happy looking dogs - and dog walker. Seems pretty special to get a walk/swim three times a week.

saef
09-15-2012, 09:38 AM
What a shock, Dagmar. Seems that, in my mind, I've always pictured you as a yawning black tortoiseshell cat. And actually you're an adult person. ;-)

It's good to see all the animals as well. They are like stars known to me through a long-running TV series.

My only suggestion would be to get someone to take even more pictures of you handling the animals, rather than showing the animals by themselves. You have a really good one, but I want more. Show yourself at work. Display your services.

If you put in some case studies, that would work, too: A picture of you & an animal, and a description of how sessions with you benefited that animal. I know you do a lot of work with your dogs and are actually training them and improving their behavior as well as exercising them. Really, you are selling yourself short if you don't talk about that: "After six months, XXXX showed these improvements."

bargoo
09-15-2012, 11:14 AM
I am going to a tea this afternoon. Dainty little sandwiches, fancy cookies. petit fours........all about 500 calories a bite. I will have to do a lot of guesstimating and resisting.

ICUwishing
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I only have one :eek: experience with water - we have (had) a hot tub in an unheated 3-season room off our living room. One evening after a particularly nice long hot soak, DH and I were on our way back across the house, and I heard a strange noise downstairs. Went down to investigate, and discovered that the supply pipe had failed. Fortunately at the time, that end of the basement hadn't been finished off. Suddenly we'd developed an in-house waterfall! Needless to say, the rest of the night was NOT relaxing!

The electrician has completed his rough-in on the hall bath. Next step is reinforcing the studs where all the accessories get attached (towel bar, paper holder, robe hook, wall-hung vanity), and then it's time for the drywaller. On the siding, we are now just waiting for the computer renderings to be done so that we can double-check our intent on the trim color and accents. Not sure what's up with the patio doors - the distributor is bending some rules with the warranty, and I think they are being a bit quiet on it to allow me some "plausible deniability." I have ordered my new porch light fixture - and now am trying not to crave this doorbell to go with it.

Mudpie
09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
What happy looking dogs - and dog walker. Seems pretty special to get a walk/swim three times a week.

They all love it. My minimum is 3 times per week. I have one dog (Max the poodle) who comes out 2 times per DAY with me and most of the others are 5 times per week.

Even though I whine about the job I do love it and the pets. DH is right when he claims my job description should read "ran away and joined the circus" :lol:

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
09-15-2012, 02:17 PM
DH and I went golfing this morning. DS had his alarm set for 8 AM, but was wakened by Misty who first put her head on his bed in an attempt to wake him up. When that didn't work, she went into the kitchen and "howled mournfully" as if she were missing me. He finally had to call her into his room and coax her onto his bed so he could get a little more sleep!

Megan1982
09-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Evening all,

Did I mention I love that my gym is open Saturdays again? That's rhetorical, I know I have. I started the morning with a long walk with the dog, ending on the beach, then went to the gym and did a nice weights leg workout. Emma and I have been chilling and cleaning up a bit this afternoon, and now we're roasting lots of vegetables. I'm still planning on going out with friends on the boat tomorrow so I must roast my veggies for the next several days today. I've got lots of fruit and am going to mix up a batch of trail mix for this week.

Nice website Dagmar! I agree, your charges look very happy. And they are all so cute!

Allison, is Misty still getting used to her new place and developing a routine with you guys? Sounds like maybe she isn't settled in quite yet. How old is she again?

Bargoo, it's probably too late for your tea, but I was going to tell you to just think about those jeans you just got back into. How did you do at the tea? Had a nice time with your companions, I hope.

Becky, glad to hear renovations are coming along and don't sound too painful.

I think my plans for tonight are to curl up with some Netflix or "Gone Girl" and cuddle with my dog. Such an exciting Saturday night. I enjoy staying in sometimes. :)

alinnell
09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Megan~Misty is about 6 years old. I think she's settling in. Quite used to the routine at least. She still hasn't figured out the dog doors, so remembering to put her out a few times a day is an addition to my routine. Chico seems to understand that she's here to stay and I think he realizes she is feeling better as they have been playing together the way dogs do (bitey face is what we call it). He allows her to lick his face and he was actually licking her ears (his all time favorite thing to do) the other day. She is also a bit more playful with me.

Gone Girl is a great book, you'll love it!

So my day has been busy! Golf, Trader Joe's, home to put away groceries and hard boil eggs before showering. Then errands to the Vitamin Store, Sports Authority, Petco and the grocery store before picking up lunch. After lunch, DS and I scoured his closet walls, doors, drawers and carpet. He then sifted through ALL the crap that had been peed on and decided what needed to be chucked, etc. while I shampooed the carpet in my bedroom to get rid of as much of the phlegm spots from Misty as I could. Then water plants inside and out and work on several loads of laundry. I just finished making spinach and ricotta calzones for dinner and am taking a short break before feeding the dogs and making a salad. I think I need (deserve) a nap!

shcirerf
09-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone! :D I am now officially old (30). :lol: I spent yesterday at an all-day outdoor career fair doing recruiting for my company and it was super exhausting. Good thing someone brought sunblock!

My birthday is the 12th, I am now 53, I have kids older than you!;)

shcirerf
09-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Happy belated birthday Janelle, my birthday twin!

Like!:D

JohnKY
09-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Happy Birthday(s), you guys!

We once lived in an old dilapidated farmhouse that had suffered leaky plumbing in the past. I had to crawl under the floor more than once, jack it up and shore it up with blocks. Not fun! Swore after that, I'd never live in a house without a concrete foundation. We have though. When/if we ever build again that will certainly be the case.

Mudpie
09-16-2012, 07:29 AM
The website is definitely the one bright spot in this horrible week. The fallout from my father continues. Two people hadn't been able to reach him on his home phone yesterday so they called me in a panic. I very politely reiterated that my father had made his choice to leave the hospital and that I was not his babysitter and/or keeper.

I suggested if they were so worried about him they could drive over and knock on his door. I am standing firm on this. He chose to be on his own so he's on his own. Period. I have spent the last 50 years jumping whenever he barked and I've had enough.

Dagmar :tired:

JayEll
09-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Dagmar, he sounds like he is mentally incompetent. If so, he should not be left on his own. Do you have adult protective services in Canada that could help or intervene? Could you consult a lawyer? I understand your desire not to be burdened with him, but legalities might be an issue.

Sheila53
09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Dagmar, I, too, think you should contact a lawyer or elder services or someone who can advise you on protecting yourself from legal fallout, if you haven't already done so. In my state, someone was put in jail for failure to "help" his mother, whom I gather was a lot like your father in attitude, when he knew that she wasn't able to care for herself.

Megan1982
09-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Dagmar has called on those services already, ya'll. (I'm feeling a little southern today.) They have not helped her - or her dad.

My plans today fell through because of a bad weather forecast, and then it rained all morning. BF is out of town and the friends I'd normally call to hang out with are out of town, have company, or are watching football. I'm somewhat at loose ends. I've been doing a bunch of core exercises while watching TV, stretching, and will wait until the evening when it's cool to wog the dog. One day at home is nice. Two in a row and I get bored. :dizzy:

Sheila53
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Megan, it wasn't her father getting help that I was concerned about--he sounds like a real jerk. It's protecting Dagmar from any legal responsibility. But if she has contacted an attorney or elder services to see what kind of responsibility she has, and it's hopfully none, then everyone can rest easy that she doesn't have to do a darn thing for this guy and won't get into legal trouble.