Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #1  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Default Have had a rough go of it the last two days.

I decided to have a 'cheat day' two days ago, and yesterday I just couldn't stop myself from eating some desserts my parents had laying around. I ate to what is, for my body and weight, maintenance calories.

I am picking myself up and continuing. I figure even if I gained a pound back it doesn't matter. I'm not weighing in for another five days and by then I should be back to the weight I was at least, and heading for my first goal of 249.

I can either get frustrated and quit or just keep working through it and keep losing. Even if everytime I lost ten pounds I had days like yesterday and gain back a bit of weight as long as I pick myself up I'll still be ultimately losing weight.

I still have that little voice in the back of my head telling me that I can't do this, but it's getting quieter everyday and I'm always telling myself I can.

I know I can because it's something I've wanted for so long and I feel like it's something I will definitely do. I just have to keep trying. In a few weeks I'll hopefully be 245lbs and getting closer to my second goal of 230. The only thing that could set me back is myself. One or two, or even three days off the wagon won't destroy a ten pound loss.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

That's very true. That really is pretty much the entire secret of losing weight - never giving up. An off plan day only delays your weight loss. It doesn't stop it unless the off plan day turns into weeks, months...etc.

Last edited by Vex; 09-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #3  
Lifestyle Changes

Thank you Vex.

I think I'm back to feeling alright about my weight loss again. Sometimes I just have to air out my doubts before I can get on with my day.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus0 View Post
\

I am picking myself up and continuing. I figure even if I gained a pound back it doesn't matter. I'm not weighing in for another five days and by then I should be back to the weight I was at least, and heading for my first goal of 249.

I can either get frustrated and quit or just keep working through it and keep losing. Even if everytime I lost ten pounds I had days like yesterday and gain back a bit of weight as long as I pick myself up I'll still be ultimately losing weight. e or two, or even three days off the wagon won't destroy a ten pound loss.
sounds like you already gave yourself the best advice!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I agree with this. It's about doing well most of the time, not all of the time.

On the other hand, it's also good to remember this when you next consider a 'cheat' day. Do you need to carefully plan the next day to avoid a 'cheat week?' Perhaps a single meal might be better? It is all about figuring out what works for you.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #6  
Lifestyle Changes

Haha, thanks Julia.

I know the best thing for me to is to just move forward.

It's hard, I have a lot of negative thoughts that try to creep in at times like this. The 3FC website has really helped keep my spirits high. There's so many amazing people on here. I have a long ways to go, but I'm definitely inspired by the people on these forums.

If I'm feeling like a big gross failure pile I stop and think, "Other people have gone through this exact same feeling. They picked themselves up and accomplished goals. I can do that too."

Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #7  
Lifestyle Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
I agree with this. It's about doing well most of the time, not all of the time.

On the other hand, it's also good to remember this when you next consider a 'cheat' day. Do you need to carefully plan the next day to avoid a 'cheat week?' Perhaps a single meal might be better? It is all about figuring out what works for you.
Yes! I was actually just considering that. My non-scale goal is a binge-free September and I had planned a cheat day on October 5, but I was thinking it'd be better to plan to eat to maintenance and just have a big dinner that I wouldn't normally eat, like at a restaurant.

I am learning things about my body and I'm trying to use that information to make days like yesterday less and less.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I went through something very similar on Labor Day (there's a posting on being ready to throw in the towel). I know how you feel. Sometimes you just get tired of being "good" all the time.

It sounds like you caught yourself before doing major damage. All you can do is keep fighting those dark, negative thoughts and eventually you will return to normal. Last week was miserable for me. I was thinking about binging literally every five minutes for three straight days. But I fought through the negative thoughts and now I am totally focused again.

Just keep fighting and don't let those negative thoughts win

KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #9  
Lifestyle Changes

I think once I've gone through it a few times I'll eventually think "You've done all this before, calm down."

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. I just know that once I've done something a time or two I tend to handle it better each time.

There are also many others factors that used to cause me to fall off plan. Mostly alcohol, but also eating junk food instead of healthier food. I took everything too far and I spent a lot of time worrying about the future and how I was going to handle eating less that 2,000 calories someday...

I'm a lot more mentally sound and I eat much better foods in general. Not to say I don't eat junk, but I try to make it a much smaller portion of my day.

I feel much better, but I know a day or two of staying on plan will be the ultimate pick-me-up and I'll be going strong again for a few weeks.

I have grown a lot in the past two years and I know I can be successful this time around. I just have to use all the things I've learned to keep me going. I might get knocked down every single week for awhile, but I just have to keep pushing through! Or else it's right back to where I was anyways, which also doesn't make me happy.

I'd rather be unhappy in my room hiding from my cravings than unhappy on the couch stuffing my face. Also, one thing that has been helping me is when I take a good hard look at the thing I'm craving and ask myself "Is that cake/cookie/chocolate/sugar/treat going to make you happy?"

The answer is usually no.

Last edited by thewalrus0; 09-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

We all have rough spots, I've been in one lately, too. And you know what? It's going to happen! Sometimes a lot, even. The key to success is to. Keep going and never, ever quit. You can't fail if you don't quit. And quite frankly, I've lost almost 100 pounds by screwing up frequently, taking months of maintenance breaks, regaining three pounds or seven pound here and there, and being infinitely lazy with exercise in occasion.

And yet, I've still lost a teenaged girl off my butt.

Perfection isn't what loses weight for us, persistence and awareness is the key. You can do this, one choice at a time. You're already there in the right mindset, if your comments are any indication, so don't feel disheartened. You're doing very well just by acknowledging being off plan and getting back on
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5"7

Default Hang in there!

I am in my fourth week.
I find that if I only have a little of several different kinds of veggies it is easier. (as I do not LOVE veggies either)
I will do a few pieces of broccoli, a few cauliflower, a few slices of bell peppers (red being my fave) and whatever else I might have stocked at that time.
This way i'm not trying to choke down four whole cups of the same thing.
(i love lemon pepper for broccoli and cauliflower)

Also...if you like pickles, they are great!! I like to buy the giant ones near the Deli section and slice them up.

Hang in there! I am down 15 lbs in 3 weeks and 4 days!!!
raven74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/146/135

Height: 5'6

Try not to be so down on yourself and dont make yourself feel so guilty. We all cheat once in awhile and you can only try to turn the negative aspect of it into positive energy by telling yourself to work twice as hard for the times you fell off the path of losing weight. But, don't make that a habit in itself. This all takes a certain type of discipline and it's not something acquired overnight. So just set yourself small goals and use them as stepping stones to the large goal you wish to seek.
kadian43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #13  
Lifestyle Changes

I did much better this evening! I'm not in the clear just yet, but I stayed in calories even during a big family dinner!

I saved most of my calories for the evening since I knew there'd be lots of food. I started with a salad, had some enchiladas and then dessert(two cookies and a piece of cake). Also, some wine! I counted all the calories and I think I was under my daily goal.

So all in all, I feel much better. A lot of my motivation came from all the comments here on 3FC. Thank you all so much.

I'm looking forward to tackling tomorrow. Luckily there won't be cake and cookies waiting for me when I get home. ^.^
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #14  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
We all have rough spots, I've been in one lately, too. And you know what? It's going to happen! Sometimes a lot, even. The key to success is to. Keep going and never, ever quit. You can't fail if you don't quit. And quite frankly, I've lost almost 100 pounds by screwing up frequently, taking months of maintenance breaks, regaining three pounds or seven pound here and there, and being infinitely lazy with exercise in occasion.

And yet, I've still lost a teenaged girl off my butt.

Perfection isn't what loses weight for us, persistence and awareness is the key. You can do this, one choice at a time. You're already there in the right mindset, if your comments are any indication, so don't feel disheartened. You're doing very well just by acknowledging being off plan and getting back on

Exactly what Taryl said. I too have not only lost 65 pounds (give or take) but have completely reshaped my body, changed my life, and found a new passion for fitness and nutrition all the while "messing up"! I can take a few days off for a vacation and eat way too much but rather than beat myself up about it I ask myself "Did I enjoy my trip? Were the treats delicious? Do I feel re-charged and re-motivated?"

The answer is not always yes, and when it's not, I just do what I can to put one foot in front of the other until I am off and running on my journey again.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Perfection isn't what loses weight for us, persistence and awareness is the key.
Very powerful statement. I so agree with this!
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote