Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #1  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Default Think You've Gained Weight?? Got Water??

interesting tidbit of info: i learned this morning!!!

A gallon of fresh water weighs 8.34 pounds.
If you want to verify this you can simply fill up a gallon jug and place it on your bathroom scale.

so the next time YOU THINK you've gained weight...maybe its just all the water you've been drinking!!!

you learn something new everyday!!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I GOT water alright. I can tell because my second home is the bathroom. I can also tell you where most restrooms are out in public areas, because I have needed to find one in just about every place I go to.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #3  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I GOT water alright. I can tell because my second home is the bathroom. I can also tell you where most restrooms are out in public areas, because I have needed to find one in just about every place I go to.
i can so relate!!! and oooh those nightly trips to the loo!! interrupting my beauty sleep!! and i need ALL THE BEAUTY SLEEP I CAN GET!!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
interesting tidbit of info: i learned this morning!!!

A gallon of fresh water weighs 8.34 pounds.
If you want to verify this you can simply fill up a gallon jug and place it on your bathroom scale.

so the next time YOU THINK you've gained weight...maybe its just all the water you've been drinking!!!

you learn something new everyday!!!
Quote:
Quote:
i can so relate!!! and oooh those nightly trips to the loo!! interrupting my beauty sleep!! and i need ALL THE BEAUTY SLEEP I CAN GET!!
I can totally commisserate with you guys... I always make a point of 'using the facilities' in various public spots that I frequent - even if it's a little out of my way - because if I don't I know I'll regret it later when I desperately need a washroom and can't find one!

And I can't remember when I wasn't up at least 3x during the night to use the loo. At least at home I don't have to turn on a light, and can generally fall right back to sleep.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #5  
IP Start 9/5/12

S/C/G: 195/167/150

Oh No - I thought Having to Pee every 30 minutes would stop in a few days!!
Twindy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Thanks for posting this, rainbowsmiles. I weigh myself at least twice a day (a.m./p.m) and even though I KNOW water intake will pretty much show up right away on the scale, it never fails that I get disappointed when I see the scale jump up. Of course, the much more positive way to look at this is that we NEED water. It is necessary for good health, flushing out toxins, "bathing" and maintenance of our internal organs, keeping us regular, healthy skin, etc...Ultimately, over time I know that if I have good water intake and am SOP as well as possible, I will see a drop in the scale.

Glasses up! Here's to water!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Well it does get better, but still if I drink enough water I have to be aware of the closest restroom. The first couple of weeks on IP are the worst though as you lose SO much water weight.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #8  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvynotlumpy View Post
Thanks for posting this, rainbowsmiles. I weigh myself at least twice a day (a.m./p.m) and even though I KNOW water intake will pretty much show up right away on the scale, it never fails that I get disappointed when I see the scale jump up. Of course, the much more positive way to look at this is that we NEED water. It is necessary for good health, flushing out toxins, "bathing" and maintenance of our internal organs, keeping us regular, healthy skin, etc...Ultimately, over time I know that if I have good water intake and am SOP as well as possible, I will see a drop in the scale.

Glasses up! Here's to water!
yeah....and the IRONIC thing is....when you have water retention....the BEST way to get rid of water retention is to Drink MORE water. Although it may not sound logical, drinking more water will actually help your body to let go of the water it is storing in your cells.

crazy huh!!!

DRINK UP!!!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 09-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 304/219.6/200

Height: 6'

My coach still thinks I am still holding a lot of water. My hydration the BCA is still -6 ( do you guys use a BCA?) even though I drink 80oz+ every day. She suggested drinking teas as hot water may help. Any suggestions or thoughts?
ddd849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindy57 View Post
Oh No - I thought Having to Pee every 30 minutes would stop in a few days!!
I do recall practically living in the loo the first few days. Like Dana said, things improve somewhat - but as long as you're continuing to drink the required water/day you'll still going to want to know where the closest washroom is - especially when you're 'out and about'. And expect to continue to have a few trips to the loo during the night as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #11  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd849 View Post
My coach still thinks I am still holding a lot of water. My hydration the BCA is still -6 ( do you guys use a BCA?) even though I drink 80oz+ every day. She suggested drinking teas as hot water may help. Any suggestions or thoughts?
I've been doing IP using alternatives for the majority of my 'diet journey' here, so I don't have a coach. I only had 1 session when I originally signed up. She did test my hydration then, and I do recall her saying that it was was good. Drinking hot teas certainly couldn't hurt anything - and if she thinks it might help, well- why not! Plus, there are some really good ones. Plus we're heading into Fall weather now, which (for me at least) tends to be more 'hot tea drinking weather'. Hopefully, another senior person here will chime in and give you some more advice.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd849 View Post
My hydration levels haven't been going up as fast as they wanted, my coach asked if I was drinking the water quickly. I was downing a 33 oz bottle at each meal, in a relatively short period of time. She suggested sipping through the day instead, that drinking large amounts at once would make it flush through my system faster and not necessarily do the job of hydrating.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
YES. I wish we could use one of those little hospital jugs that they give the guys...a portable potty! No go though!
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #14  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
My hydration levels haven't been going up as fast as they wanted, my coach asked if I was drinking the water quickly. I was downing a 33 oz bottle at each meal, in a relatively short period of time. She suggested sipping through the day instead, that drinking large amounts at once would make it flush through my system faster and not necessarily do the job of hydrating.
Thx scorbett - that's good to know.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
yeah....and the IRONIC thing is....when you have water retention....the BEST way to get rid of water retention is to Drink MORE water. Although it may not sound logical, drinking more water will actually help your body to let go of the water it is storing in your cells.

crazy huh!!!

DRINK UP!!!!
Absolutely! The other thing I figured out early in my weight loss "adventure" was that I wasn't drinking enough water so I thought I was hungry and ate to satisfy that feeling. I do believe I was dehydrated, not in the sense of stranded in the desert dehydrated, just not ingesting enough fluids of any kind.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote