Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #1  
Awesome

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/120

Height: 5'5

Default A question about legs...

So even when I was 40lbs smaller than I am now, I have always had 'ugly' legs. They are lumpy and bumpy and just overall big. Def not what you would call pretty at all. I'm only 5'4 so it just makes me look so chunky that wearing skirts/shorts is not an option at all. I'm not exaggerating, they don't look good AT ALL.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced an improvement in this area after weightloss/exercise?

I know everyone is different, but is it a possibility that as I lose weight/fitness increases I will lose the fat etc from that area and I guess 'tone' it a bit more? I'm wondering if its maybe just how my body works, that it will be the last area to go kind of thing?

Or is it more likely that thats just how my lower body is?

Last edited by kimmy4stan; 09-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.
kimmy4stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

My lower half is huge comared to my top off. My legs have always been really big, even at my lowest weight. However, even when they are the last thing to lose fat, they still lose fat which is at least somewhat positive. Once you get closer to your goal weight, you will most likely see a big difference.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #3  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I'm a typical pear shape, and the last place to lose the weight is in my legs and butt. I do still have sturdier legs, but they are more shapely now. I do have quite a bit of loose skin on the back my thighs (noticeable to me, not to others), but that's a fair trade-off IMHO (and I'm 40 and have 6 kids, so that's 2 strikes against me in the elasticity department). There will be more muscle definition the more you lose and the more you work those leg muscles, and less chance of loose skin.

Keep on going! It's sometimes so easy to be self-critical, but you have to focus on the positive in this journey; look how much you've lost already, how far you've already come.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Whatever your biggest problem area is now will be your biggest problem area later.

Your legs will shrink but it is not uncommon to see women who are extremely lean in their upper bodies and still have pronounced areas of fat in their lower body.

Best thing you can do in my opinion is lift heavy weights and keep losing fat.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #5  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Have you actually tried measuring your legs? Maybe they really are shrinking, but because you see yourself daily, it feels the same. That's kind of how I am when I look in the mirror daily. (Which is why at first I didn't actually think I was as big as I was.)

Keep putting in the work and you'll get there! We have the same problem area!
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #6  

I am the exact same way as you. And while its annoying. Just have to keep working at it. Eventually it will be better.

And like another mentioned, measuring your legs will make you feel better, because they probably are shrinking! Just not as proportionate as you'd like.
Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Let me just say that I don't think "skinny" jeans are ever going to be my friend... But my problem is that my legs are too "muscular" and since I have very little desire to look like a body builder upstairs, I think I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I might always look a little bit out of proportion... but I'm hoping once I get down to goal it won't be so noticeable...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Many people have to deal with issues of body image as they lose weight- a big part of that is figuring out if your assessments of yourself are reasonable, or if they're completely different than the way others see you. Exercise always helps.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Best thing you can do in my opinion is lift heavy weights and keep losing fat.
Yeppers.

I used to hate my legs and have a lot of dimpling/celulite/fat on my thighs, hips and rear. Now, because of heavy weight training and a consistently healthy diet (Not that I don't have off days... I'm human) they are one of my favorite features.

Even being 5'4 and having disproportionally short legs/a long torso they now look long, lithe and lean, and don't have an ounce of fat on them.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #10  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Echoing JohnP and JossFit. Heavy weights and fat loss.

My legs don't improve significantly until I get pretty low and lean, unfortunately. They're the last to shape up. The last pounds are making it happen, though.

I made a post about this recently with some progress pics:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4428791-post4.html
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #11  
Awesome

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/120

Height: 5'5

Thanks guys! I'll get onto the weights Just good to have a bit of hope!!
kimmy4stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

My legs improve the most during the last 20 pounds of weight loss. They'll never be stick-thin, but I'm a size 28-29 (or 6 U.S.) and can finally wear skinny jeans without looking silly.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

My legs are my problem area as well. I can't add to the testimonials about how they'll improve, but I love to hear that they have for other people.

What I will add, though, is that while I would like my legs to be thinner, I do like the fact that I have a disproportionately small stomach. (Still LOTS to lose there, too, though!) I don't know if it helps you feel better about your legs, but it helps me feel better about mine, I imagine you also have some compensating good features. (I would, however, love to lose a pound or two from my chin next!)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

I have always had disproportionately large legs, even when I was a healthy weight and an athlete in high school & college. I am still a few pounds away from goal, and I'm 41 (so things are hanging a bit, anyway, hah!) - but I've definitely noticed a difference. I have distinct thigh muscles now and though, in general, they are still thicker than I'd like, they do look much better than they did 20, 40 and 60 pounds ago. I noticed the biggest difference when I hit 160, about 15-20 lbs from goal.

For me, though, it took a lot of exercise, not just weight loss. The muscle definition is what makes the improvement, IMO. So yes, absolutely lose the weight (fat) - but adding the muscle is what shapes/defines the legs.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #15  
Carrots? Meh...

I'm also a classic pear with a small upper body and very big thighs and bum. I wouldn't mind the big thighs if they were nicely shaped (round), but they're seriously lumpy - I have a pair of nasty looking saddlebags And no matter how much I weigh (I've been slim once before) I still have them.

*sigh*
Silly Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote