Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat September 3 - September 9

BillBlueEyes
09-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Yep, pull out your long johns 'cause Fall is here. Now. Welcome September.

OK, for today, we can go BBQ in the fading sunlight, LOL.

I'm not enthusiastic about the end of summer, but I do welcome a change to get back on my eating path since my vacation. Gotta stop my wandering hands into snacks between meals to get on track.

For today, we've still got veggies from the garden to be grilled. Long live Labor/Labour Day.

Mudpie
09-03-2012, 09:41 AM
And glad to be here. I always enjoy the first day back to work after Labour Day. The summer crowds will be gone and the dogs and I will have much more freedom.

I did well on vacation - BC added only 2 lbs., despite there being way too many carbs last week. I'm sooo glad to be able to make coffee, do laundry, and spend longer than 10 minutes at the computer.

I am still catching up on all my housekeeping stuff so will check in tomorrow.

Happy Fall! :wave:

Dagmar :beach:

neurodoc
09-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Dagmar- I was in BC earlier this summer (Vancouver specifically). LOVED it. Was ready to apply for Canadian citizenship in fact, between our shitty politics, your country's decent approach to social programs (including, but not limited to healthcare) and the absolute utter gorgeousness of Vancouver. Where in BC did you go?

bargoo
09-03-2012, 10:51 AM
My neighbor is going to have guests for dinner and he has given me an apple pie to guard so he won't eat it all before dinner ! I am to guard an apple pie ! That is like sending a fox to guard the hen house.
I'm trying to pretend it isn't in my kitchen.

alinnell
09-03-2012, 11:06 AM
LOL at the image of bargoo guarding the apple pie!

We got invited to a BBQ this evening. I have no idea who will be there--I'll know my BFF and her boyfriend and the host (who I've met maybe four times). It'll be interesting if I do know others--he's the manager of the Indian Wells Tennis gardens. Although all the big guys are in NY state right now, there might be some tennis people from the past there. Who knows.

traveling michele
09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Bargoo-- good thing it's a pie that would be obvious if a piece was missing. If it was a plate of cookies or brownies you could steal some and rearrange the plate. Not that I would know about doing that. Not at all.

I'm sad and stressed today. I thought dd was doing well at college but she called me yesterday totally homesick. While I know it is normal, hearing my private independent dd cry to me on the phone for an hour was heartbreaking. I know she is jumping to conclusions but she was saying she picked the wrong school. She doesn't drink and she can't find anyone who doesn't. I'll be back. Dh wants to FaceTime and I need my iPad.

bargoo
09-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Bargoo-- good thing it's a pie that would be obvious if a piece was missing. If it was a plate of cookies or brownies you could steal some and rearrange the plate. Not that I would know about doing that. Not at all.

I'm sad and stressed today. I thought dd was doing well at college but she called me yesterday totally homesick. While I know it is normal, hearing my private independent dd cry to me on the phone for an hour was heartbreaking. I know she is jumping to conclusions but she was saying she picked the wrong school. She doesn't drink and she can't find anyone who doesn't. I'll be back. Dh wants to FaceTime and I need my iPad.

Re: The pie, I could always go to the store and buy another one if a piece turns up missing... don't think I haven't thought about it.
Michele, my cousin's son was in pre-med at Univ of Minnesota, he complained to his parents that it was such a party school that he couldn't study. They took him out of there and sent him to a private college, his sister was one year behind him in pre-vet, she ended up in the same college as her brother. He is now practicing medicine and his sister is a practicing veterinarian . Child number three went to same college as her brother and sister.

traveling michele
09-03-2012, 12:11 PM
My older dd went to a private Catholic university (still there) and has been dismayed by the amount of partying there even! Younger dd had found many close friends in High School-- most are Mormon and she started going to church with them. I think she is talking to them about their experiences (at BYU) and realizing how different it is. She actually went to Mormon church yesterday and is planning on going to an event there today. I hope she finds some like minded people there (without necessarily converting).

I'm going to send her a care package tomorrow. I went out yesterday and bought a bunch of little things-- nail polish, some snacks, etc. Any other ideas of things to send that won't make her more sad??

By the way Bargoo-- what college was it that your cousin's children went to? You never know-- we are paying out of state so it is just as expensive as private anyway!

alinnell
09-03-2012, 12:18 PM
There are a lot of Mormons in Arizona--I'm sure your DD will find someone who isn't a partier. My DD isn't a partier either and her first year, all three of her dorm mates were big into partying. Thankfully she found some friends within her circle of musicians. It's still early. Tell your DD not to give up--she'll find someone. Hang out in the student union or library as there usually isn't a lot of partying going on there. If they're having a special function at the student union, advise her to go--even if she goes alone. There is always someone in her shoes.

When i started college, I was bound and determined to make the most of it. I did join a sorority, but knew almost no one in it. I forced myself to go to the house every day after school and just hang out--if even for just half an hour. And I did have to force myself. I'm painfully shy--still am to a certain extent. I had to endure soap operas (which I abhor) but eventually learned the names of some of the others and they learned mine. Soon I had friends--including my BFF that lives in Phoenix.

Mudpie
09-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Dagmar- I was in BC earlier this summer (Vancouver specifically). LOVED it. Was ready to apply for Canadian citizenship in fact, between our shitty politics, your country's decent approach to social programs (including, but not limited to healthcare) and the absolute utter gorgeousness of Vancouver. Where in BC did you go?

Kelowna, right on Lake Okanagan. Lovely setting, foothills all around and orchards intermingled with the subdivisons at the edge of town. Great for golfers - something like 19 courses within 30 minutes drive.

I liked the place but there's not a lot happening culturally. Local theatre, ballet, etc. is fine. But I'm a Torontonian and that has spoiled me.

"How you gonna keep 'em on the farm, after they seen Paree?" and all that.

Dagmar :cool:

saef
09-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm back at work, or at least, some of my laptop screens contain applications that I use on the job. But mentally, I'm longing for a sick day, or at least one more day to catch up on stuff around the apartment, since I was out of it for nearly all of my three days off. There are a few more nails I'd like to drive into the walls and hang stuff from.

Back to work, though I am finding it hard to focus.

paperclippy
09-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Morning folks! We finally have been getting much-needed rain out here. The after-effects of Isaac rolled through this weekend and it pretty much rained for two days straight.

I feel like I need to mentally prepare myself for a constant gauntlet of stuff until Christmas. My birthday is coming up, and so is Rosh Hashanah, then I'm going to a conference for a week, then a friend is coming out to visit for a weekend, then my parents are coming out for Thanksgiving. Now all I can think is that I'm probably already behind on shopping for plane tickets to go to LA for xmas.

Our DVD player died. It was one I bought at goodwill for $15 after our last one died so I didn't expect much, but still. The good thing to come out of this is that we bought a new one that has built-in wireless access, so now we have streaming netflix to our TV! Awesome! Also a bonus was that I got DH to do all the investigation and buy the DVD player (by telling him he should buy it for me as an early birthday present). Of course then he decided it wasn't really the kind of thing that should count as a birthday present, and bought me a really cute coat that I saw when we were out shopping. :love:

Michele, I'm sure it will just take some time for your DD to find friends she's comfortable with. Every college has partiers and non-partiers. She may try asking if there is any substance-free housing and hanging around there.

saef
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Jessica's post just reminded me of something: Michele, have classes officially started at your daughter's school, or are they still in an interviewing or registration period?

I remember a bacchanalian revel occurred once everyone got back to campus and reunited with friends, and then there was a slow return to sobriety. By the third week, the ones who still wanted to find the nearest party every night had fewer opportunities because most of us had responsibilities on weekday mornings. This is when I began to see who was edging toward a substance abuse problem or having a lot of trouble with making the transition to college life.

The passage of time does help with these things, at least with the general atmosphere at the school -- but everyone else is right and your daughter has to find her own kind out there. They're out there, they really are. It's unlikely that she's completely alone in her situation, though it always feels that way. (Even sometimes when you're an adult.)

traveling michele
09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Jessica-- that DVD sounds great! I may have to look into one like that.

Yes, classes have started for dd. She has had two full weeks of classes and this will be the third. I think the long weekend was hard for her as everyone was either out partying or had gone home for the weekend. She went to a Mormon event last night and really liked the girls there so she was feeling a little less despondent when I spoke to her. She wanted to assure me that she still isn't happy though. I told her I didn't expect a miracle-- that we just need to see small changes. I told dh (who of course is out of the country for over 2 weeks-- he always seems to be gone when I have a crisis to deal with) that we tried to instill strong values and morals into our girls and it really seems to have worked. It just kind of hit me. I wasn't so sweet and innocent when I was my dd's age, but my parents really didn't do much in the morals and values departments. So, maybe our children really do listen to us?! I know-- profound thought.

Megan1982
09-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Morning all,

I had a nice long weekend. It's not fall here yet, but I'm ready for it. It is painfully hot and humid here. Did a few fun things - went out on our friends boat and let our dogs play together, book club meeting, BBQ w friends, and also did a pretty major cleaning of the house, grocery shopped etc to get ready for the work week. It was nice to have an extra day off. I didn't get as much exercise as usual for a weekend because I ripped up my heels horribly last week and wearing sneakers is really painful and I think rub enough that wearing them prevents healing. I am wearing flip flops, which don't offer great support. Hopefully they will heal quickly.

Jessica, I've got my eye on plane tickets too. I feel like I need to buy one NOW so I can afford it for Christmas, but certain members of my family don't make plans that far ahead of time which is frustrating. When BF and I figured out how to stream Netflix through the Wii to the TV, we were also amazed. It's great! Sounds like your DH is a smart man, buying you a coat instead of electronics for your bday. ;)

Michele, I also wasn't a great partier and I managed to find a few friends who weren't interested in that scene. Hopefully your daughter will, too. As a bio nerd I found more friends through my science classes, too - study groups led to some friendships. Everyone definitely partied more, especially freshman, when I went to college at the start of the semester. Freedom! Readily available alcohol! New people! By the time mid-terms rolled around things calmed down a bit. Tell her to hang in there. When I went to school tapestries and posters were a big deal. Maybe you could send her something to decorate her room, pictures pre-loaded into a digital frame, brightly colored mini speaker(s), some DVDs or a Netflix subscription?

Michele, I also know nothing about rearranging brownie platters. Nothing at all. :devil: But Bargoo, she's right. You can't eat a piece and then hide it. Good luck on guard duty.

Dagmar, glad you enjoyed your trip and got some much-needed R&R.

alinnell
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
We lost our internet (and cable telephone) last weekend for most of the weekend then we got home this Friday and the cable was out, the phone off again and the internet spotty. We have a service from Time Warner called "Signature Home" that is supposed to give us premium service when problems occur. NOT! We called Friday afternoon and the technician wasn't able to come until Monday morning. DH was able (on the 12th try) to reboot the cable box, but many of the stations were coming in pixilated so you couldn't watch them. The internet was spotty, but okay and no phone all weekend. The technician came and fixed it in only 10 or 15 minutes. Something about the amplifier for our house was plugged into the wrong breaker and all he did was replace it and make sure it was plugged in right. Everything works great now.

DD was home for the weekend and my BFF from SLC and her boyfriend were in town visiting. They came over Sunday for dinner and then we all went to another of her friend's homes for a nice dinner last night. A lot of fun, but way too many calories consumed.

Did I tell you the new dog has pneumonia? She's on two different antibiotics for it and has to stay on them for three weeks. I sure hope she gets over it soon. She coughs a lot during the night and lately she prefers to sleep on the floor beside me, so of course it wakes me up.

That's about all from here. We've been staying inside for as much as possible this weekend due to high humidity and the stink from the Salton Sea wafting over the valley (sulfur-ish yucky smell). We did manage to see a movie, Ruby Sparks. Cute story although a bit dark in places.

bargoo
09-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Did I tell you the new dog has pneumonia? She's on two different antibiotics for it and has to stay on them for three weeks. I sure hope she gets over it soon. She coughs a lot during the night and lately she prefers to sleep on the floor beside me, so of course it wakes me up.

Is this a problem for Chico, any chance he could catch Pneumonia from Misty ?

alinnell
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Is this a problem for Chico, any chance he could catch Pneumonia from Misty ?

Frankly I don't know. The rescue was more worried that he might get the kennel cough which is very contagious. I asked the vet and they said it depended on whether the pneumonia was viral or bacterial--which they can't determine without a culture. So far, Chico isn't overly fond of Misty, so he doesn't initiate play with her and he doesn't sleep near her and he hasn't once coughed, and after 10 days together I rather doubt he'll get anything. She's been on antibiotics for over 2 weeks now, so I'm thinking she was over the contagious stage of the kennel cough when we brought her home and since he isn't acting sick I'm not going to get myself worrying about it.

I was impressed by the rescue. I told my adoption coordinator about the pneumonia and she told the group. The treasurer for the group sent me an email asking for the vet bill as they would see what they could do to reimburse me. I thanked them for their generosity but said they should keep that for the dogs still in their care as I'm perfectly able to care for her myself now (and she costs a heck of a lot less than Chico with his surgery and chemo!).

Shannon in ATL
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Michele - my mom used to send me 'sunshine packages' in college - several small items in a big box all wrapped separately, with directions that I was to unwrap one item each day and let her know somehow (call her at that time) what it was and what I was going to do with it. Usually in week increments - 7,14, more if I was feeling really down. She did things like nail polish, fun knick-nacks, gift certificates to local restaurants, a fun coffee mug, that kind of thing. All small items, with maybe one big one mixed in.

I traded my CRV in this weekend on a 2012 Focus. I have to go back tomorrow to finalize the paperwork as we bought it on Labor Day when the banks were closed, but if it works the way I expect the payment should be $100-$140 less than my current car payment and it should cost me about $50 less per month in gas. I have to try to find a way to cut my monthly expenses - I'm not in any danger of being homeless or not being able to pay my bills, but I spend so much more per month than I should and can't pay back any outstanding debt the way I'm going. Time to put on the big girl pants and start paying things off, it helps a lot that I really like the Focus. :)

:wave: to everyone else - I swear I read, I just don't have time to reply now as the phone is ringing off the hook again.

saef
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I have really crashed today, and I found myself crying on the phone to my mother (which, of course, makes me think of your daughter, Michele).

I know what it is. I've gone three weeks now without antidepressants. The doctor had given me a small prescription, enough to tide me over till I visited him. Actually it ran a few days short. And during the visit, I forgot to ask for a renewal. And then had to cancel and move up our subsequent appointment. So I kept not asking for a renewal. I thought maybe I'd be okay. In the beginning, there was no difference --- I know, I know, these work cumulatively and have to build up in your system, and then take a lot of time to work their way out. But then I got that weird "brain zap" withdrawal symptom which is actually a lot like symptoms of my inner ear issues. It was really bad this weekend. Probably also due to PMS, since I got my period again after a four-month absence. And this morning, though I got out of bed, I found myself inexplicably low-spirited, so much so that though I dressed for the gym, I couldn't make it. Then, since I did not leave for the gym at exactly the right time, there seemed to be no point in going at all. Then I felt guilty. And then, probably due to the lack of the endorphin rush I get after workouts, I just felt worse and worse, and my mood grew blacker. Mirroring the sky outside, because part of my sorrow has to do with a forecast for heavy rain, our legacy from Hurricane Isaac. I don;t like heavy rain, or anything to do with hurricanes. I felt threatened and then fatalistic. Yeah, it would be about right: Get my place in good order, get the gas turned back on, commit via email & a trip to a shop yesterday to buying two really expensive things ... and have it all taken away again.

In short, I am a mess. I did have the sense to call the doctor's office, and the wonderful assistant will call in a temporary prescription for me. Then they will call for another one with my Tel-Drug provider, which has to mail it. And I did have the sense to call the Tel-Drug provider and change my address from my mother's place to my apartment again (which of course, they had on record & were able to switch over to).

Today feels like a white-knuckled, hour to hour thing. I have been somewhat functional at work, though not the peak of efficiency.

Leaving soon to go to the pharmacy. Never again to forget that it's now one of my commandmants: Thou Shalt Take Thy Meds, Above All.

alinnell
09-04-2012, 05:28 PM
My DD was telling me that her new roommate's Mom sends her care packages all the time. It kind of made me feel bad as I've never done that. The only time I did was when she was younger and went away to summer camp. I must be a bad mom, but then again, she was never down like your daughter, Michele. A care package sounds like a good idea.

Sorry you've been so down, saef.

traveling michele
09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a care package all ready to mail actually. I like the idea of individual things separately wrapped-- I didn't do that-- maybe next time.

Saef-- I'm so sorry you are so bleak. I hope the meds kick back in right away! My dd is on a small dose of anti-depressant and I talked to her last night about possibly calling the psychologist for a phone consult. I talked to her about her depression and how we don't want that to get bad again.

Shannon-- congrats on the car! I had a CRV before I traded it in for my RAV4. Our other car is a mini cooper and we had hinted to dd that she might get the mini cooper when she is a sophomore or junior if her grades are good. She told me the other day that she'd prefer the RAV4 which blew me away because she has always thought of the mini cooper as "hers".

bargoo
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Re: The Mini Cooper my son has one he also has a minivan, a wife, a baby and a large dog. He put an ad on Craig's list..."New wife, new baby, Mini Cooper must go." I know he hates to sell it but it doesn't get much use now.

Mudpie
09-05-2012, 05:49 AM
I just read a post from Gary aka EZmoney on Fb. I was wondering where he'd got to. He has cancer and is starting treatment.

Sending healing energy :goodvibes your way Gary. May you make a full recovery.

Dagmar

saef
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Now that pulled me up short. The news about Gary.

Knowing what a warm and wise presence he is, and how well-liked here and in real life, I am sure there are a lot of prayers and well-wishes being sent out into the world on his behalf.

I've been through the cancer diagnosis with both parents. Actually, I don't know anyone who hasn't been touched by cancer, either in their families or their own persons. There is this time when you have to simply absorb the diagnosis and wrap your mind around it. And then the action plan. And then there's the part where you either tell people or carry on & let them find out, since news like that tends to spread. None of that is easy.

Thinking, too, of Bargoo, who talks so little about that part of her life, and yet still, even when she doesn't, I think about it and am wishing the best for her -- my equivalent of prayer.

krampus
09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Sending best wishes to Gary and his wife.

I have some mystery fever/fatigue/sad thing that I think may be a harbinger of red doom. My roommate describes her PMS symptoms as "wondering if I am entering a depressive episode and then TOM comes" so perhaps that's me this month.

ICUwishing
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Ditto - will be thinking of Gary!

Saef - Wishing you strength in the following weeks as your system builds back up in response to the meds. The "deep black bottom" moods are not a good way to experience life - the phrase is true: Better living through chemistry. I'm glad you have found a medicine that works for you and that you've been able to get tapped back into a supply of it.

krampus: "harbinger of red doom". LOVE IT!!!! :D I'll credit you when I use it.

shannon - congrats on the new car! Sounds like a smart financial decision.

allison - I too love the rescue org I got my bunnies from. My mom went with me when we adopted them, and she's still so impressed that she just sent them a check. I rather grossly overpaid the adoption fees myself ... and look forward to another opportunity next summer when I board the buns with them. They only charge $5/day! How is that reality? Hmph. I'll show them what they're worth ... ;)

Recovering from the indecencies of the weekend. The bloat is coming back off and the fog is clearing. Yesterday was a whiplash day - wayyy under in calories. DH was canning dill pickles and snagged me literally as I walked in the door with the assignment of peeling 8 heads of garlic. DS13 was in charge of dinner and successfully grilled his first chicken with almost no supervision. From the dinner table to voice lesson and home to kitchen cleaning plus directing DS's packing for his middle school retreat ... and then it was 9:30. Zero time to sneak-snack. I felt a pang of deprivation, not necessarily for the snack, but for the ritual of having the snack. Odd.

traveling michele
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm looking for some book suggestions for great reads my (homesick) dd might enjoy. I'm looking for great fiction or something uplifting. Nothing sexual but just a fun read..... I'm a children's librarian so you'd think I could think of some but I'm coming up blank (other than kid titles that is).

alinnell
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Ditto - will be thinking of Gary!

Saef - Wishing you strength in the following weeks as your system builds back up in response to the meds. The "deep black bottom" moods are not a good way to experience life - the phrase is true: Better living through chemistry. I'm glad you have found a medicine that works for you and that you've been able to get tapped back into a supply of it.

krampus: "harbinger of red doom". LOVE IT!!!! :D I'll credit you when I use it.

shannon - congrats on the new car! Sounds like a smart financial decision.

allison - I too love the rescue org I got my bunnies from. My mom went with me when we adopted them, and she's still so impressed that she just sent them a check. I rather grossly overpaid the adoption fees myself ... and look forward to another opportunity next summer when I board the buns with them. They only charge $5/day! How is that reality? Hmph. I'll show them what they're worth ... ;)

Recovering from the indecencies of the weekend. The bloat is coming back off and the fog is clearing. Yesterday was a whiplash day - wayyy under in calories. DH was canning dill pickles and snagged me literally as I walked in the door with the assignment of peeling 8 heads of garlic. DS13 was in charge of dinner and successfully grilled his first chicken with almost no supervision. From the dinner table to voice lesson and home to kitchen cleaning plus directing DS's packing for his middle school retreat ... and then it was 9:30. Zero time to sneak-snack. I felt a pang of deprivation, not necessarily for the snack, but for the ritual of having the snack. Odd.

Obviously you have not seen this video: How to peel garlic in 10 seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPVxyrteR1c). It really works, too!

I'm looking for some book suggestions for great reads my (homesick) dd might enjoy. I'm looking for great fiction or something uplifting. Nothing sexual but just a fun read..... I'm a children's librarian so you'd think I could think of some but I'm coming up blank (other than kid titles that is).

Has she read the Mockingjay trilogy? I loved those books. I'll see what other suggestions I can come up with. Also Harlan Coben has one book out and another due about a younger sleuth--Mickey Bolitar (nephew of Myron Bolitar--one of his prolific characters) if she likes a mystery.

traveling michele
09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Has she read the Mockingjay trilogy? I loved those books. I'll see what other suggestions I can come up with. Also Harlan Coben has one book out and another due about a younger sleuth--Mickey Bolitar (nephew of Myron Bolitar--one of his prolific characters) if she likes a mystery.

I'll look up the Harlan Coben books. Yes, she's read the Hunger Games series-- I assume that's what you mean by Mockingjay?

ICUwishing
09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
allison - thanks for the garlic tip. We have one of the rubber roller thingys and it works quite well. I will definitely check out the video when I get home tonight!

Shannon in ATL
09-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Michelle - my neighbor is also a children's librarian and often recommends the Terry Pratchett books for 'older kids' like me. :) We are hanging out with her tonight, I'll ask her for any other suggestions as well.

Megan1982
09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Gary, if you're out there I'm sending all of my positive thoughts and cancer-cell-destroying vibes your way. You're always such a positive and cheerful personality here, it is so appreciated.

Saef, I'm so sorry, hang in there honey! :hug: I hope you get those meds and they start re-building their supplies in your system soon.

Shannon, sounds like you're doing the right thing finance-wise, and bonus that you like the Focus! A coworker drives one and really likes it, too.

Becky, I've been thinking a lot lately about how my habit of afternoon snacking has grown, and is bad. Between my summer work schedule and having a dog, my summer (and late spring and early fall...) schedule has changed to putting me at home around 4-5 pm, and I always snack. And I'm not usually hungry. I hear you. As I move into fall I really need to change things. It's become such a habit, I need to build new, better habits.

Allison, I hope poor Misty gets better soon.

SSDD with me over here. Have a good day all. :)

Shannon in ATL
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Saef - I've been thinking about you the last few days. I hope things even back out for you.

Gary - positive thoughts your way as well.

Becky - this is why I buy jarred garlic. I'm too lazy to deal with it. ;)

:wave: to all!

WardHog
09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi guys!

I posted over in the fearless thread after a long hiatus. I was lurking for a couple of weeks and I'm jumping back in if you don't mind.

I am so sorry to hear about Gary. My Mom has had a recurrence of the ovarian cancer she first had seven years ago and she is back on chemo until around April or May. It really and truly sucks.

Megan, what kind of dog did you get? We adopted a golden mix about a year ago. She was dumped at a shelter with her nine puppies and we got her through a rescue. She had terrible separation anxiety at first but she is now officially the BEST DOG EVER.

I am looking forward to chatting with everyone again (and to getting these *%^$* extra pounds off).

Shannon in ATL
09-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Hey Ward! Welcome back. Sorry to have to welcome you back to the fearless thread, but good to see you back here in chatter. :)

WardHog
09-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey Shannon! I am in awe of your running. You are killing it lately!

bargoo
09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Asking advice from you home decorators. I shared on the fearless forum that I am rearranging my bedroom, one thing leads to another as we all know. I now have a puffy comforter. shams and bedskirt on my bed. I like it but am tired of it and want to do something to "reduce" the puffiness. I want to find a spread that isn't so puffy , something a little smoother. Any suggestions ?

krampus
09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Invite all your friends to come over and jump on your bed. Might break the springs but that will probably get the puffiness down ;)

My neighbors had a HUGE fight last night after some dog issue. I've never heard such ungodly sounds come from a dog and there is blood splattered all over my front stoop, so I'm guessing some dog got bitten. After whatever happened, the neighbors screamed at each other for a while threatening to beat each other. My conclusion is that they are insane, and I should get rabies shots.

alinnell
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Asking advice from you home decorators. I shared on the fearless forum that I am rearranging my bedroom, one thing leads to another as we all know. I now have a puffy comforter. shams and bedskirt on my bed. I like it but am tired of it and want to do something to "reduce" the puffiness. I want to find a spread that isn't so puffy , something a little smoother. Any suggestions ?

My Mom was famous for finding a beautiful new quilt on sale and bringing it home which would then mean new everything else (curtains, bed skirt, wallpaper, etc., etc.--and none on sale). LOL Anyway, look for something more tailored. My bedskirt and duvet are both microfiber and I can't say they look puffy--well maybe the duvet over the down comforter. But there isn't any trim like lace or ruffles or stuff. It's actually rather masculine, but I like that look.

saef
09-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Bargoo, I deeply dislike the standard bedroom decorating apparatus of our time, which includes duvet covers, whole families of pillows, seemingly propagating like rabbits, most of which have to get thrown off the bed every night, and bedskirts.

Because I have very distinctive likes and dislikes, it won't surprise you that I have jacquard woven coverlets from the 1840s-1860s on my beds, with antique quilts folded at the bottom, over the bed rail or on a quilt rack.

The operative term is "bedspread," which I think of as a bed covering that has dieted down considerably.

Try a Google search for these terms and see if any of these appeal to you:

- Chenille bedspreads

- Bates bedspreads

- Jamawar/pashmina bedspreads

Some of these may be too retro for you, others may be too exotic or with prints or colors that don't suit. But at least that will make you conscious of a wider spectrum of choices than getting the standard duvet/pillows/skirt package.

ETA: My taste for this stuff came about as I quickly discovered that antique beds were not made to have really puffed-up things sitting on top of them. It ruins the profile and often obscures very nice parts of the bed, the solid sheets of walnut and mahogany and rosewood & some of the carved areas.

bargoo
09-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Bargoo, I deeply dislike the standard bedroom decorating apparatus of our time, which includes duvet covers, whole families of pillows, seemingly propagating like rabbits, most of which have to get thrown off the bed every night, and bedskirts.

Because I have very distinctive likes and dislikes, it won't surprise you that I have jacquard woven coverlets from the 1840s-1860s on my beds, with antique quilts folded at the bottom, over the bed rail or on a quilt rack.

The operative term is "bedspread," which I think of as a bed covering that has dieted down considerably.

Try a Google search for these terms and see if any of these appeal to you:

- Chenille bedspreads

- Bates bedspreads

- Jamawar/pashmina bedspreads

Some of these may be too retro for you, others may be too exotic or with prints or colors that don't suit. But at least that will make you conscious of a wider spectrum of choices than getting the standard duvet/pillows/skirt package.

ETA: My taste for this stuff came about as I quickly discovered that antique beds were not made to have really puffed-up things sitting on top of them. It ruins the profile and often obscures very nice parts of the bed, the solid sheets of walnut and mahogany and rosewood & some of the carved areas.

Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting that you mentioned chenille.Back in the day everybody had chenille bedspreads, the thought had actually crossed my mind, I haven'seen any lately, though.
I did a google search this morning and found lots of wild prints and garish colors. I do have something I may consider. After my mother passed away I found a new, handquilted quilt in a cedar chest, I had never seen it before. My mother was a quilter but I don't think she made this one, more likely it came from someone in her quilting group. The quilting is exquisite and the pattern is nice but the ugliest colors I have ever seen. There ought to be a law against such colors. I think I will get it out later and see how it looks may not be as bad as I recall.

paperclippy
09-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Bargoo, I have quilts I got at bed, bath & beyond on all the beds in my house during the summer (I use puffy comforters/duvets in the winter when we need the warmth).

saef
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Bargoo, the antique jacquard coverlets that I own look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/The_Childrens_Museum_of_Indianapolis_-_Jacquard_coverlet_-_overall.jpg

See the corner, with the writing? That often has the name of the girl they were woven for, the date, and the weaver's name. Sometimes even the place where they were woven. It is amazing how well some have lasted.

bargoo
09-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Bargoo, the antique jacquard coverlets that I own look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/The_Childrens_Museum_of_Indianapolis_-_Jacquard_coverlet_-_overall.jpg

See the corner, with the writing? That often has the name of the girl they were woven for, the date, and the weaver's name. Sometimes even the place where they were woven. It is amazing how well some have lasted.

I like it. I don't have anything like that but I do have black lace veil that my grandmother made and wore to her young daughters funeral. It is in perfect condition, I have no idea what to do with it of course. It proves that fabrics in the olden days are far superior to the man made fabrics in use today.

Mudpie
09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I am a quilt and basic sheets person - usually solid sheets and a machine made quilt. My latest came from Garnet Hill and I love them. This quilt

http://www.garnethill.com/poppy-field-quilt-and-sham/bedding-bath/quilts-coverlets-shams/quilts-shams/263951?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=5

and these sheets in the "pumpkin" colour - the dark orange on the very bottom of the stack

http://www.garnethill.com/fiesta-percale-bedding/bedding-bath/sheets/percale-sheets/117600?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=19

There is very thin stitching on the quilt in the exact same orange.

Did I mention I don't like soft pastels? :D

Dagmar :cool:

bargoo
09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I did take the comforter an bed skirt off my bed. it just has a blanket on it, now and actually looks better than before. I got out Mom's quilt plus an antique one I have, neither one look good. I think their best use is to just show them on a quilt rack. Both are weird sizes and would require a bed skirt, I would never find a bed skirt in the right color. The antique one was originally a white background but has yellowed with age. The newer one also has a white background but white is even hard to match.I think just displaying them for their history. I will be looking for something else, maybe George Washington or I would like to see what today's chenilles look like.

BillBlueEyes
09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Do men have to understand the purpose of the strip of fabric laid across the end of the bed?

And where does it go when you use the bed for sleep or more active purposes?

ICUwishing
09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
My mom just offered to give me/let me borrow her Gee's Bend quilt. The story is more compelling than the quilt, but they are certainly eye-catching! My bedroom is soft grays, greens and dark purples, so I suspect it might look sort of psychotic. :D. Wait, that might work ....

traveling michele
09-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Invite all your friends to come over and jump on your bed. Might break the springs but that will probably get the puffiness down ;)

My neighbors had a HUGE fight last night after some dog issue. I've never heard such ungodly sounds come from a dog and there is blood splattered all over my front stoop, so I'm guessing some dog got bitten. After whatever happened, the neighbors screamed at each other for a while threatening to beat each other. My conclusion is that they are insane, and I should get rabies shots.

I think I might have called the police when that was going on?? I still regret not calling the police when I heard weird noises from next door. I really thought people were just yelling/partying and then when the police showed up I found out that the next door neighbor tried (and almost succeeded) to kill his mom. I can't forget about it.

shcirerf
09-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Do men have to understand the purpose of the strip of fabric laid across the end of the bed?

And where does it go when you use the bed for sleep or more active purposes?

Way back in the day, when upstairs bedrooms had no heat, and you heated up the rocks in the metal pan, that you stuck under the covers at the foot of the bed, the extra blanket held in the heat!

Been there, done that. :D

shcirerf
09-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I love quilts, Have bunch!

My fave is one that my great gramma made. All wool! Heavy as all get out, but so warm!

I also still have the down feather pillow she made, many moons ago. She died 34 years ago at the ripe old age of 95.

Anywho, on another note, I should not have gotten out of bed today. What a totally craptastic day. Got the H**l bit out of me at work today, hand is still swelling.

Cranky clients, cranky husband, hand just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

On the good news side, I was the guest speaker at WW last night, told the group about my Ah Ha moment.

Will elaborate on that later, hand HURTS!:dizzy::?:

Mudpie
09-07-2012, 05:38 AM
janelle Dog or cat bite? Antibiotics quickly if cat bite and swelling.

Bill Strip of fabric across the foot of the bed - hunh?

bargoo What is the actual purpose of the bedskirt? In my house it would just collect cat hair.

My week is going to go to h*ck - take that evil censor :p - on the weekend. My father is due back on Sunday night (after being in transit about 17 hours). If he survives the trip he's on his own after we get him back to his house. DH is assisting me getting him home from the airport but we both have to work every day so no babysitting after that. I did call the social work folks and they will call my father on Tuesday. I'm hoping one of them will realize (and I will steer them this way if I can) that he can no longer cope with being in the house alone and helps me get him into the appropriate facility pronto.

Will this finally be over this fall? :crossed:

Dagmar :tired:

saef
09-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Dagmar, bedskirts came in when people started liking more block-like furniture rather than leggy furniture and were troubled by being able to see underneath their beds. A lot of people store stuff under them now. Also, with a metal frame bed, they cover up unattractive parts. With antique beds, they cover up some of the nicest parts and so I'll never have one myself.

Bargoo, I like those white bedspreads that are often grouped under chenille but that really aren't. Look at "Bates bedspread" and you'll see what I mean. I think busy woven patterns can look outstanding when they're white. If you want color, do it with the pillows.

BillBlueEyes
09-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Bill Strip of fabric across the foot of the bed - hunh?
Yay for google. It's called a "bed scarf" or "bed runner," per:

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/88659/What-do-you-call-the-grey-strip-of-fabric---

Thanks for the info, shcirerf - next time I encounter one at a hotel, I'll call the front desk and ask for my hot rocks.

ICUwishing
09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Bill, I am nearly in tears at imagining the look on the face of the front desk clerk when you make that call. :lol3: You may wish to be very careful about how you phrase that request.

Janelle, hope your hand feels better. Sometimes it's good to have a craptastic day now and then just to make the rest of them look great in comparison!

On bedding ... I don't think I will ever sleep on anything but bamboo-derived rayon ever again. This stuff is a miracle fabric. Gloriously drapey and I'd swear it can adapt to humidity. I have never slept as well as I have since I bought them. It's warm, it's cool, it's always dry, and so far, wearing like iron.

Not much to report. DS returns today from his three-day/two night "middle school bonding" retreat. His school is so small that they start out the year with bringing the new 6th-graders into the "pack" - it helps everybody get to know each other. Hard to believe this is his final year (8th grade), and now we have to get him ready for going from a K-8 school of about 120 kids, into our local HS, where 9-12 is about 1500.

I discovered something new about one of my adopted bunnies. Jamie, I believe, must have been exposed to potato chips at one time. I was nibbling on a couple while watching TV last night, and she jumped up on the couch, onto my chest, and was stretching to full bunny capacity to try to get at them, nose going a million miles an hour. She got a piece of fresh kale instead - I hope she wasn't disappointed. :)

alinnell
09-07-2012, 09:42 AM
I once had some towels made from bamboo fiber. I loved those towels! The only bad thing was that the edges had to have been cotton and they shrank so the towels didn't lie flat and of course if you pulled to stretch it out, the edges ripped and frayed, so bye-bye towels (they're currently in the rag cupboard). I can imagine the sheets are great! I'll have to look for those next time I need sheets, which I hope isn't for a while as my last two sets cost quite a bit to get the really high thread count.

I'm hoping Misty is finally turning the corner on her pneumonia. I found yesterday that she doesn't cough at all when she's panting (either from heat or exercise) so I've decided to give her small doses of exercise during the day along with continuing the coupage several times a day. She only had two coughing episodes last night which is a whole lot better than last week before we got her on the broad spectrum antibiotics and she would cough and hack up phlegm hourly.

traveling michele
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Janelle,
Sorry you got bit!
Would love to hear about your ah ha moment. How are you liking the active link by the way?

traveling michele
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
And Dagmar-- wishing you luck with your dad. He must be stable enough to make the long trip by himself?

bargoo
09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info, shcirerf - next time I encounter one at a hotel, I'll call the front desk and ask for my hot rocks.

Bill, I want so badly to comment on your comment about rocks, but if I do I will be permanently banned from 3FC.

Mudpie
09-07-2012, 10:09 AM
And Dagmar-- wishing you luck with your dad. He must be stable enough to make the long trip by himself?

He has no choice. He has spent all his money and couldn't afford to have someone accompany him. And his elderly half-sister didn't want to keep him.

Dagmar

Mudpie
09-07-2012, 10:11 AM

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/88659/What-do-you-call-the-grey-strip-of-fabric---

Re the front desk call - my mind runs parallel with Becky's. :lol3:

Dagmar :dizzy:

bargoo
09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Dagmar, Saef has the answer to bedskirts. I need one to hide the boxes of stuff I "might" need someday.
Saef, Have you ever thought of becoming an advisor on the "Antique Roadshow" ?
I love all your suggestions and google all of them.

Shannon in ATL
09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Oh Bill, I needed to read your post about the bed scarf and the hot rocks today. I've had a craptastic morning like Janelle's yesterday and that made me laugh. Yes, use caution when you call the desk for those. :)

And on the bed scarf, huge comforters, puffy pillows - my mother gave me the antique bedroom set that was in my room as a child last summer. She sent the comforter set with it. It included a bedskirt, 5 puffy pillows, a puffy comforter and a thin quilt in variations of the pattern. Her way to make it up was to put the comforter and pillows on, bed skrit on bottom obviously, and to fold the thin quilt like a bed scarf and lie it across the foot of the bed. Right now I'm sadly the quilt as a cat hair block from the comforter. The quilt is my favorite part, I may take the comforter off and use it as the cover. I use a quilt on my bed in the master, but have a thin comforter over the top of it during the day, also as a protect from cat hair. I fold it back at night to sleep in it.

Janelle -take care of the hand! (What is an Active Link?)

Dagmar - take care of yourself honey. I'm sorry about your dad.

Saef - I love your quilt. Just love it. I also want to strip down the pillows and things that block my pretty bed. Speaking of antiques - my bedroom set is dark mahogany colored and has some damage from being moved back and forth over about 70 years. It isn't a great, high quality antique, but I like it. Are there people who restore antiques like mine that aren't expensive but are older and have personal value? Should I try to do it myself?

As I said above, I've had a terrible morning so I'm going to go drink some coffee and unwind. I'll be back soon. :wave:

Shannon in ATL
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh Krampus - yes, be careful with the neighbors and the dogs. I agree that you might need to call the police if that happens again. Neighbors can be crazy. You are in a duplex, right? Or renting rooms from a landlord?

Megan1982
09-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Morning all,

TGIF! Last night my new cell phone finally came, and BF and I bought our plane tickets to visit his friend in San Diego in December, so my mood was immediately brightened by both of those things. I had my first week of rehearsals with my cast this week. I'm sort of wondering what I got into and how everything will get done, but also happy with the cast and how it's going so far. The doubts are normal for me, but it always works out in the end.

Your conversation reminds me that I need to get a new bedspread as well. The dog has pretty well destroyed this non-washable one. She doesn't chew on anything other than her toys anymore, except the bedspread (while we're sleeping! crafty dog), so I'm not going to spend a lot of money. (Maybe once I'm sure she's grown out of it.) I'm afraid my only qualifications are machine washable, not white, and inexpensive so I won't feel bad if she destroys it. I will look through your suggestions when I get home though, sigh with envy, then glance at my little demon-stalker and close the page.

Krampus, um, yes, if that happens again call the police! Scary. Where do you live again? If I were you I'd keep a baseball bat or tennis racket by the door.

Janelle, sorry about the hand!

Wardhog, good to see you! Yes, I got a lab-pit bull mix when she was 9 months old. She's 2.5 now. She's very sweet and very energetic. I'm now known as "the dog lady" around the neighborhood. People who know me tell me they saw me walking the dog. People who don't know me ask if I live in such-and-such a neighborhood and then say "I see you walking your dog!" (happened just today). At least it's good exercise. ;) Sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. That's got to be very hard to deal with. :hug:

Bill's hot rocks... not going there. :angel: Have a great weekend all.

shcirerf
09-08-2012, 02:08 AM

Actually, my grandparents had an old farm house with no heat in the upstairs bedrooms, gramma had the hot rocks when she was a kid, when I slept over there we had graduated to the old huge rubber hot water bottles.;) Asking for hot rocks or hot water bottles at a motel, :dizzy:;) A good funny after a totally craptastic week!:D

As far as the bite goes, it was a dog with crappy teeth and gum infection. My hand is way swollen and infected. Been soaking it and taking oral antibiotics, enough to knock down a horse and it's not helping.

The Activelink is similar to a fitbit, you can google both.

Just finished my 8 day assessment, I may redo this in a week or 2. Doing it over the holiday weekend and with the bad hand, not a true picture of my normal life. I do like it, but gonna take some time to work out the logistics between the AL and my WW pedometer.

For the record, I have a bedskirt, cuz I have junk under my bed. And dust bunnies. Silly creatures, breed and grow like real rabbits!:D

Mudpie
09-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Megan When my dog was a puppy (no crates in those days) she chewed tiny holes in a rough grid kind of pattern all over our quilt one afternoon :eek: to amuse herself. I became a regular shopper at Zeller's (our then answer to Walmart) for cheap and cheerful bedding until Kaya grew out of the bedding wrecking phase.

Shannon I refinished all of our furniture when DH and I first got together as we were too poor to buy anything new. I would find things curbside or at "junk" shops and strip and refinish them. It was kind of neat to peel away layers of paint/varnish/whatever and see the true wood emerge. But the fumes are terrible and it's pretty darn rough on your hands and any skin that accidentally comes in contact with the chemicals. A bedroom set is a big big project (took me 4 weeks to do 1 dresser). It's also very difficult if you have pets as floating hair invariably gets stuck in any finishing stain and acrylic final coat. I will always have a bit of Mudpie on my bed's footboard - :D

janelle How is your hand?

bargoo I just push all the stuff under our bed to the center. :lol:

Bill I told my DH about your proposed "hot rocks" request. After he :rofl: he is now adamant about asking for those when we next stay at a hotel/motel. I will feign total :o ignorance :o when this happens.

Good Saturday all!

Dagmar :yoga:

saef
09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Shannon, furniture repair and restoration goes on at all levels, and your local yellow pages ought to be a source for businesses that can give you a quote for working on your bed. Another source is to try places that do reupholstery. They often work in tandem with places that work on the frame and the wood finish and they can refer you to someone.

I also went through a phase decades ago where I refinished furniture, or tried to, and still am immensely intrigued by wounded but gorgeous things that turn up at shows and auctions and are being sold "as is." But I am wary of projects that might sit around incomplete for long periods of time, so I stay away from them. Oddly enough, or not, I do have one such project right now. I got an architectural fragment, a sun burst pediment, and I have to decide whether I am going to stain & varnish it like a piece of furniture or paint it white. I'm going to hang it on the wall. I am feeling very indecisive about which way to go with it, though I know of at least three places in my apartment where it would look pretty wonderful.

alinnell
09-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a bed skirt not because of the junk under the bed, but so Ringo has a place to hide--especially when the housekeepers come. Neither cat spends much, if any, time on top of the bed. Louie actually follows the housekeepers around and watches everything they do. Such different cats!

My Mom once knit a bedspread so you can imagine how thin that might be. It was beautiful and it took her quite a long time to do and then she decided she didn't want it so my sister tried (unsuccessfully) to sell it on ebay. I don't know what became of it. It had a nice pattern, similar to the afghans she used to make, and it was all in a pretty cream color.

bargoo
09-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't hate bedskirts it just depends what I am going to put over it. If I get a coverlet, I need a bedskirt, I prefer a bedspread that reaches to the floor, I haven't gone out looking, yet, just been googling.

BillBlueEyes
09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Today is the first Saturday of the fall when I didn't come home from the store with blueberries. They went from $3 per pint to $3 per half-pint - the standard jump each year. I mourn them.

Worse, that means that it's time to start adding dried fruit to my morning cereal. A problem because I find it easy to limit blueberries and peaches, but dried apricots and figs are easy to overdue. Sugar bombs, they are indeed.

Somewhere I need to find moderation, which wasn't delivered to me at birth.

bargoo
09-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I love blueberries and don't mind how much they cost. I have some in my refrigerator , I believe they will be a part of my lunch.

Mudpie
09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Today is the first Saturday of the fall when I didn't come home from the store with blueberries. They went from $3 per pint to $3 per half-pint - the standard jump each year. I mourn them.

Worse, that means that it's time to start adding dried fruit to my morning cereal. A problem because I find it easy to limit blueberries and peaches, but dried apricots and figs are easy to overdue. Sugar bombs, they are indeed.

Somewhere I need to find moderation, which wasn't delivered to me at birth.

I too find it difficult to buy fruit that has doubled in price overnight. For me that's cherries. I will not pay over $4 per lb. for them :tantrum:. It's not necessarily that I can't afford it - it's the principle of it. Same fruit, coming from the same region, and same delivery costs to the store so why am I suddenly paying double? :mad:

And the dried fruit? My sugar bombs were preserved kumquats from the asian grocery - quite delicious! A small package purported to be 110 calories but I think the sugar residue in the bottom of the bag had that many cals. I allowed myself one bag per week as an evening snack. The store no longer carries them. I have been eyeing preserved ginger (which I love) but it only comes in a big bag. I have never been able to portion it out - I always gobble the whole big bag and then feel quite ill from the spiciness and the sugar.

I too did not receive the gift of moderation at birth. Or anytime else in my development. :lol:

Dagmar (:love: that sugar buzz :hyper:)

Megan1982
09-08-2012, 05:47 PM
This morning was really nice. First, I got up and walked the dog. It was overcast and windy, thus sort of cool, relatively speaking, and Emma and I walked almost 5 miles while I listened to some interesting podcasts. That is our longest walk in a long time because of the summer heat. Then I went to my gym, which has reopened on Saturdays for the fall. I did some strength training, which I've really been neglecting over the last month, legs and abs. Finished it off with some elliptical while I got to read my "fun" book. This was the most exercise I've done in a long time and I felt so much more like my "old" self. I think I go through this every summer, feeling so wrung out and out of shape, and when fall finally hits FL I instantly feel better.

No moderative abilities here, either. :dizzy: I do try to buy what's in season and on sale, which I normally like the yearly procession of, unless my local grocery store only has mealy apples in the fall/winter. I rarely buy dried fruit for just the reasons Dagmar and Bill mentioned.

Saef, how are you doing? Is your refill kicking into your system? :hug:

saef
09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Megan, thanks, I've been back on my medication for three days. What went away almost immediately are the so-called "brain zaps," a symptom of withdrawal thatr's hard to describe, except to say that they resemble spells of vertigo or having your skull jarred really hard. Other symptoms like increased anxiety and difficulty focusing will take longer to go away probably. I have been anxious all day -- what if I don't get enough done today? what if I waste my weekend -- and so I was overactive, going to the movies & then to three different stores. It's like I am fleeing something and have to keep throwing activities in my way to distract myself. I meant to cook for the week, too, but I know I won't now as I am simply too tired.

Part of my hyperactivity had to do with the weather. We had a bad forecast. A tornado watch, a sky that turned duck-egg green at one point, and spells of torrential rain. I don't like torrential rain. But we will probably be okay.

Tonight another ground-floor apartment resident who was flooded out stopped by my apartment and I felt a tremendous sense of relief while talking to him. He was traveling for his job, then on vacation, and so did not move back until now. He still isn't sleeping in his apartment. He's overwhelmed by having to unpack his boxes and buy furniture. Through his eyes I saw how much I have gotten done & how relatively settled I am. I am used to thinking of myself as unsettled and surrounded by incomplete and delayed things, so that was an eye-opener.

shcirerf
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Some of the pics didn't post, so take it for what it's worth.

(http://http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/shcirerfj/2012-09-06100624.jpg)

(http://http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/shcirerfj/2012-09-06100624.jpg)

http://http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/shcirerfj/2012-09-07233809.jpg

So swelled this is all the closer I could get my fingers!
http://http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/shcirerfj/2012-09-07233845.jpg

It's much better today, sore as all get out still, but I can make a fist. Redness is all gone, so no more worries about blood poisoning.

I did suck it up yesterday and go work out. Weird with only one hand, but I did discover I can do one armed planks, at least with my right arm.:D